• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Thin Edge (SnowFeather, kaito9049)

Jade didn't look up. He was just going to leave. She saw Adam put something in his pocket and listened to him as he spoke. She tensed as he said strangle, then relaxed as he corrected himself. She hesitated. "I'm sorry Adam, but if I let anyone get close to me, they get hurt," she replied gently. She looked away, down at the ground.

Franz groaned. This wasn't good. If Jade left now, there was a chance she might decide to start killing again. He took out another piece of paper and rapidly scribbled down another speech before giving it to Adam.

Adam cleared his throat after reading the paper and putting it away. "I'm not afraid," he said confidently. Franz had to admit; the guy was pretty good at believing what he himself said. "Because if I'm with you, it's worth it. Because...because I lo-wait, what?" He looked back at Franz again, who waved him to continue. Thankfully, Adam did. "Because I love you," he said. "And I leave all of my earthly possessions to Franz Trader, son of Seth Trader." He spun around. "Whoa, whoa, huh?"

"Ignore that," Franz ordered flatly. He figured that if things went bad, he'd at least get some money out of it. Even though he'd probably die before getting to spend it.

Jade didn't react at first. A tear rolled down her face as she looked back at Adam. She hopped off the branch and walked up to Adam. "Then leave me," she whispered. She reached up and placed a kiss on his cheek, before she turned to Franz. "Thank you Trader," she said, walking over to him. She reached out a hand for him to shake. And then she was gone. (Gtg reply ASAP)

Franz watched the two others with a small twinge of envy. He honestly couldn't understand the woman's reaction; she hadn't known this guy for years! Was she really so starved for companionship? Nonetheless, he shook Jade's hand. "Please don't slit my throat in my sleep," he called as she left. Adam seemed to be paralyzed by Jade's actions, so Franz had to hit him over the head a couple of times to wake him up. "Thanks for you help," he said, handing Adam a pouch of coins.

"I didn't do this for the money," he replied, pocketing the pouch without even checking its contents.

"Keep telling yourself that, kid," Franz chuckled. He seriously doubted that Adam had any sort of real connection with Jade. The formation of bonds took time, patience. Just like baiting a trap. "Now remember, if anyone asks, you never met me. Agreed?"

Adam nodded before taking off through the trees, sparing one last glance towards the direction Jade had disappeared.

Franz mentally prepared himself to talk with the constable. He had to find a suitable excuse. "What happened?" the constable asked when Franz came back unharmed.

"She's gone," Franz said simply. "We had a nice talk, though." He told the constable that he had spoken to Jade, and that she had fallen in love with some farmer boy way out west. It was half the truth, anyway. The constable was dubious at first, but eventually gave the order for the soldiers to head back, and for the workers to disarm the traps.

---

"So that's it. It's over," the constable said to Franz once they were settled in for dinner.

"...No, not yet," Franz muttered darkly. "Assassins don't kill unless they're paid to. Someone put a hit out on me. If the Widow won't kill me, someone else will try."

The constable groaned and rubbed his eyes. He was getting too old for this. "Why didn't you ask her about this before she left?" he questioned.

"...I...forgot," Franz admitted.

Jade rested in her tree, thinking to herself. Her snowy owl sat on her shoulder and she traced her finger over the thin edge of the blade. She threw it against a tree and it hit the target, a red X.

She laid down and closed her eyes. Did he really mean what he said? Or was it that bloody paper? She had to find out, one way, or another.

Franz woke up the next morning at the inn, the constable figuring that he was safe enough to move back to his own room. Indeed, Franz did feel like a load had been taken off his shoulders, but as he readied himself to hunt, he couldn't help but feel a creeping fear at the back of his mind. The next assassin that he encountered might not be so agreeable.

Nonetheless, it was with a jolly whistle that he went with into the forest. As he set up rabbit traps at various locations, he couldn't help but think back to Jade. Would she really stop killing? Or was it just a temporary refrain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back