• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy [CLOSED] Thesta Penitentiary for the Wicked: A Fantasy Prison Breakout RP [Rebooted]

KasperXIII

Sworn To A Great Divide
[UPDATE 8/5/2018: THE ROLEPLAY IS CURRENTLY NOT ACCEPTING NEW INMATES. ANY INMATE CS'S WILL BE IGNORED. GUARD CS'S MAY BE CONSIDERED DEPENDING ON THE CIRCUMSTANCE AND IF YOU HAVE AN INTERESTING ROLE TO FILL]

Welcome to Thesta Penitentiary For The Wicked, a high-security prison designed to house and rehabilitate the world’s most sinister of crooks in ways the rest of the world is incapable of. With measures as far as tracking devices, ability-inhibiting mechanisms like drugs, patches, and bracelets/collars/anklets, and a group of well-trained, oftentimes also gifted staff of guards, this prison situated in the icy tundra of Thesta is said to be unbreakable, foolproof, and a worthwhile investment on the war against crime. Hell, crime rates in high-rise nations dropped exponentially since the implementation of this bizarre, almost impossible idea.

But is it really unbreakable?

We’re here to tell the tale of the fall of a great driving force against crime. It’s a reboot of a once-existing RP, this time with improvements and refinements to improve the experience with a (hopefully) more dedicated group of roleplayers. If you’re in for a new experience as a prisoner in a high-security facility seeking freedom, or a guard keeping order and serving for a so called ‘greater good’, or if either the idea of ‘prison break’ or ‘fantasy’ just tickles your fancy, this might just be the place for you.

If you're looking for information about the fictional location of Thesta and the prison compound, a new, updated one is underway, but you can find an old version of the description here for a general idea of what to expect: Thesta Penitentiary for the Wicked (first post only, you don't need any other pre-existing knowledge of the first attempt)

A link to the new character sheet thread can be found here: Fantasy - Thesta Penitentiary for the Wicked [Reboot: Currently Accepting] [Character Sheets] . For now, let’s go over some general rules so that everyone is on the same page (sorry if it's all boring, but we all gotta abide by the rules):
  • All of RPN’s typical guidelines apply here. You can check those out if you’re new elsewhere on the site.

• When it comes to post length/detail, please avoid 1-2 liners. Give me at least a paragraph per post as a bare minimum. Other than that, post as appropriate to the situation; some cases do require just a paragraph, others maybe 4 or 5. I have no trouble writing a lot, but if you don’t, as long as you can output a paragraph, you’ll be fine by my standards.

• [VERY important for my standards] I can’t emphasize this enough… do NOT tell me from the beginning “Yeah, totally in!” then disappear from existence mid-RP. I understand, life can be pressing (I’m a college graduate so I get that), but if you know you’re going to be away for a bit, kindly say so, and make sure your characters aren’t in a pressing situation where you are needed for progression (we’ll happily keep your character quiet for a short period of time). We had this problem in the past rendition of the roleplay where we entered weeks of stagnation waiting on one person to reply. A good way to prevent this is through the dedicated Discord server, which you will receive in a link if you’re accepted. I tag/ping people regularly when they are needed, and it’s good to make a habit of tagging whoever needs to reply to you in your posts for the RP itself. If you do lose interest/want to drop, don’t just vanish. Tell me your reasoning and give your characters some sort of end. In the past rendition, I had to inherit too many of other people’s characters in order to keep the plot going in situations like this. Provide closure by murder, execution, indefinite isolation, dwindling to irrelevance, getting fired, whatever have you. Just please do not leave us hanging under any circumstance. Keep us all updated, and give at least some dedication to the roleplay (even if it's one reply every few days).

• Face claims are the priority method of telling how your character looks, second best is a well-written paragraph if you prefer.

• I won’t be too picky if you don’t get too deep with backstories now, but it should come out in some way, be it now at stage 1 or in-RP.

• Locations of origin can be fictional or real; I won’t be too picky about that. Thesta, for instance, is fictional simply for my own convenience of creation.

• Don’t feel pressured into making an inmate if there’s too many guards, or vice-versa; we can make NPC ones on the fly if need be. You are free to be a guard or inmate, whatever you feel like playing as.

• Doubling+ is allowed (you don’t have to, but I have no issue with it) as long as you can keep all of your characters progressing and functioning. No leaving anyone behind.

• Romance of any sort is welcome here (part of why the prison is co-ed) but fade to black whenever it gets spicy, as per RPN guidelines.

• The RP setting is ‘modern/urban fantasy’, if you’d like to call it that. Technology and fantasy abilities, as well as non-human beings are welcome, so long as it’s all within reason. See below for more detail of what’s allow and what’s not.

• Your power must have a counter/weakness/inhibitor. No situations where ‘nothing can kill you’ (no duh).

• Similarly (and obviously), you cannot force a character that is not yours into a damaged, near-death, or actual death situation without the approval of the victim’s owner.

• [Inmates only] Your power must be able to be contained by some sort of ‘inhibitor’. It can be a bracelet, collar, anklet, drug, slight adaptation to the prison uniform, or any other type of device to prevent the inmate from taking full advantage of his/her powers. Some powers can stay active as long as they are harmless (they can’t even so much as scratch someone)

• [Inmates only] Your crimes must be REASONABLE. In the past rendition, a few extreme crimes were allowed to slide, but not any longer. Keep your kills within reason (more than in the hundreds is really pushing it), and don’t do anything borderline unthinkable (no destroying an entire planet or anything like that, remember, we’re not gods)

• [Inmates only] All inmate characters are to be newcomers; nobody’s been in the prison for a while upon the starting date of the RP. It can make for players having an edge, even though it can forge bonds between newbies and old timers. Let’s keep it safe here.

• [Inmates only] You will be placed in cells in pairs, which will be determined by random once we are ready.

• [Guards only] Guards don’t have to be newly employed, but they can if you would like.

• [Guards only] Ranks for guards are first come first serve, though they won’t be specified and won’t all be required to be filled (as we can work with what we get). Obviously, the highest form of power is the Warden, who I will be assuming myself.

• [Guards only] You have the choice of having powers or not, but if you do, do note that even though your powers aren’t inhibited in any way, you’re not invincible either and, like any other mortal, have weaknesses.

• [Guards only] You have a responsibility to uphold the prison guidelines. I understand corruption is a thing in prison, and that’s fine, but when we are in a lockdown situation, do not leave everyone hanging and not solve the problem.

• What powers you CANNOT use for the sake of avoiding powergaming/godmodding (not limited to these, so if I say no, it means no and you should change your ability):
    • Invincibility/Immortality (direct or indirect)
    • One-hit kill/insta-kill type powers
    • Probability/RNG-based powers (this was a concern brought up to me in the past rendition of the RP, now addressed and properly put in its place; if your power depends on a random chance, no matter how good the chance is, drop it)
    • Non-physical beings (no dark matter, ash, mist, plasma, void, or any sort of characters like that; as a rule of thumb: if there is a stage of the character’s ability in which you cannot touch them at all, it’s not allowed)
    • Omniscience (you cannot be all-knowing)
  • Examples of what you can use along with restrictions (not limited to these examples, you may pitch your own and I will determine if it needs further restrictions or specifications):
    • Character whose power is related to a god/demon/immortal being (be very specific about restrictions in this power, and the immortal being cannot directly intervene or permanently raise a character from the dead. Please go into details of what you can/can’t do to avoid too heavily dominating the scene, and do note that if your character is an inmate, you cannot be the divine entity itself. There is one divine being for Thesta’s personnel, Pisha, whose role will be stated in the full description of the prison)
    • Invisibility (it has to be partial, very minimal, and it cannot extend to what you’re touching. Reaching inside a wall with part of your arm, for example, is okay. Phasing through it entirely is not.)
    • Shapeshifting (nothing too freaky like a massive six-headed dragon with a wrecking ball for a tail… it must be to something real and mortal and cannot make you indestructible)
    • Flight (must be temporary, it cannot allow you to fly out of the prison or keep you out of the range of punishment or anything like that)
    • Mind-control (keep it temporary with the possibility for repercussions, and you cannot do anything too drastic like take control of the Warden’s mind and commit suicide. Just use your common sense: if you have to ask if you can do it, then you probably shouldn’t.)
    • Mind-reading (My character will have this, for instance, and he’ll have restrictions about how long he can do it and when he can as well.)
    • Non-human characters (Nothing too oversized or unruly; keep the height limit at 10 feet/3 meters, and they have to be somewhat civilized no matter how much of a cold-blooded killer they are)
    • Elemental/wieldable abilities (fire, electricity, ice, water, whatever have you… You MUST be inhibited at all times. No one walks around without being inhibited no matter who you are. Once again, we had this issue before in the past rendition)
    • Usage of tech/magic (Nothing that instakills or breaks the entire RP or stops progression or makes someone untouchable, obviously)
  • This applies to both inmates and guards, but please limit yourself to one scope of abilities. We don’t need a mind-reading, fire-bending, shape-shifting centaur on our hands.

• If you receive a like/emote from me or the co-GM ( firebright24 firebright24 ), then you’re accepted and you will receive a link to the Discord server in DM’s. I highly encourage being in this to be up-to-date with all things related to the RP and for ease of contact (not to mention we can all have some fun on our downtime as friends). Neither of us bite; we're both super friendly and will happily answer any questions you have about the roleplay, now or later.
Can't wait to hear feedback or response to reboot this story!

…Also, this is NOT going to be related to or along the lines of the 2005 TV show "Prison Break" - although I am a fan of the show itself, this will not be in any way like it, except for the fact that a prison escape will go down.

Last edited:
A starter will be posted sometime tomorrow, so if you want in, get your cs up asap.

I've started working on it and it will probably have it done some time later today. Do you allow for 2 characters?

Abyss Abyss Yes, you can, so long as you work with both equally and not abandon one entirely.

Also, it may go without saying, but please submit each character as one post so i can approve individually.

I'm interested in this rp. Expect to see my character sheet up soon.

The Forgotten Host The Forgotten Host

We are currently in a situation in which all inmates have been assigned a single cellmate (if you planned on creating an inmate). If you were interested in a guard position, you may still post a CS and I'll consider it as I would any other. If you had an inmate in mind, we'll need another inmate along with yourself to make it an even pairing.

groovy, but reading through the requirements, i thinkit would be unfair to you for me to start this week. i sggest find someone else. cuz im busy. illl hit u up once my schedule clears

There's no formal hierarchy, but be aware of the 3 positions that are already fulfilled, which are Warden, Head of Security, and Therapist.

If you're considering a guard for it, keep whatever you can transform into below 10 feet/3 meters in height (so you can fit and maneuver in the prison properly). Apart from that, in most case, I read what you have to propose to judge for myself, hopefully it'll be within reason and not invincible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back