Other "...There Will be War" - Einstein

Shepard

The Not-So-Rottenfuhrer

Albert Einstein - "So long as there are men, there will be wars." Do you agree?

history hasn't proved otherwise yet so I'm inclined to agree. 

Fair enough. Would you say that the same would hold true following a serious world war?

Most likely, yes. Even animals of different species fight amongst themselves. We are animals to our core after all. 
I think human beings will always find conflict with one another.

Well, this technically isn't true. There is a chance, albiet very small, that humans could eventually learn to live peacefully. Maybe.

I think we will only stop fighting each other when we find someone or something else to fight.

That'll still be war though...

Conflict is inevitable as long as men exists. Perhaps in the future we may have wars that do not require soldiers, drones for example, but what about ideological wars or economic wars. Those wars can have just as damming effects as actual warfare.

Ah, this my kind of discussion. To quote someone wise, "What is war, but the petty disagreements of powerful men?"

While I cannot condone the act of war, there is a certain beauty in its decadence.

I think that, eventually, there will come a war so notoriously destructive and bloody that as long as the memory of that conflict is burned in the human psyche, no man will rise to the call to war. 

As long as there's anything that has something that something else wants, there will be war, forever and ever, until the last star in the universe dies out and reality as we know it is consigned to an eternity of cold stillness.

But have either of those memories stopped people taking up arms? To some they are case studies to be learned from.

War has changed, and will continue to change but sadly it'll never end. So long as there are people who feel they can use violence to take what they cannot get by other means it'll survive.

But have either of those memories stopped people taking up arms? To some they are case studies to be learned from.

War has changed, and will continue to change but sadly it'll never end. So long as there are people who feel they can use violence to take what they cannot get by other means it'll survive.

But war, war never changes?

Last edited by a moderator:

I know. You misunderstand. I don't mean to say that a mere historical event will keep people from going to war. I'm saying that if a war took place in which there was an unprecedented amount of bloodshed and suffering, humanity might be permanently innoculated from war. I'm talking of the "countries reduced to ionic dust, holocaust of billions" type of situation. 

Yet if someone survives and the human race continues hen even those atrocities will one day become mere historical events. It might take decades or millennia but mankind will eventually grow numb to it, and eventually forget it entirely.

Yet if someone survives and the human race continues hen even those atrocities will one day become mere historical events. It might take decades or millennia but mankind will eventually grow numb to it, and eventually forget it entirely.

I really don't think so. I mean, a relative small number of people died in the Holocaust. However, because of it the UN zealously pursues those accused of genocide and most nations will never again use systematic ethnic cleansing as a tool of war. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back