Story The Wizard and the Devil King

BeastofLores

Knower of Worlds
Some months after nights of turmoil, there within the courtroom stood a Kobold drabbed in embroidered robes a hood with flaps sitting upon his ears trailing to the floor. "Your Highness, Young King of Koberon and Defier of Regicide," he began. "I come to you with an offer, one befitting regality such as you, he who struggles against the opposing tides." I was shocked. It hadn't been a year, and there standing before me was an obviously-aged Kobold, voice like the grating of steel upon iron, clad in the finest and most mystical clothing I have ever laid eyes upon. And so I asked him, 'And what offer might this be?' Beneath his hood, I saw pearly teeth gleam. "I come to offer you an alliance with those who know beyond the beyond, who gaze into the stars and those who dwell beyond the plane of this world. I come to offer you an alliance where our services are afforded to you for little."

'And what might these services be?' I asked. Within a moment, my courtroom was blooming violet sigils that manifested in a low chime, other Kobolds like the one I spoke with phasing from their centers in a spray of violet tendrils and fogs. "Services beyond your ken, and far beyond the ken of your subjects. Services that delve into the arcane." I shot from my throne, crying out, 'Warlocks?! You wish for me to make deals with devil-worshippers?!' The Kobold clasped his hands, upholding that blaring grin from before, now. "The power of the Evokers is but a fraction of what we offer, Your Highness." The Kobold had cleared his throat, his jewelry-clad body clinking little. "My Liege, your decision must be swift, for our offer is only once, and whence our presence is gone from this room, so shall it be gone from this world." After giving it thought in the heat of the moment, I agreed. "Wonderful! Wonderful!" he cried out! "Your Highness, though youthful, is wiser than the wisest!"

(Bare bones of the story of how a king came to obtain a Court Wizard. He was likely sixteen or seventeen when this occurred. It's from another project of mind, where there are no human or human-based races(elves, dwarves, etc.) and instead monsters take their place, like bat-like Kobolds. It's honestly incomplete and essentially the first draft, but there's enough context that I am honestly comfortable posting it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back