• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Witch and his Keeper

Rainelle

Love and luck be upon ye
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Lawrence Moore woke to the sunrise in his eyes and a leak in his roof. He groaned slightly as the water dripped into his eyes, and shielded his face with his tanned hand as he shimmed to the edge of the bed. With his left foot on the floor, Lawrence gripped his right thigh and heaved the half-lame leg over the side. When his foot made contact with the wooden floor, he released his leg and groped around for his caine. Finally finding the emerald pommel, he held to it as he stood shakily. He sighed, running his free hand through his long hair.

The morning after rain was always harder on his leg. Walking stiffly to the door, he threw it open and poked his head out. After a yawn, he called. "Ben! Would you please telephone Svaan early this morning? The roof is leaking again." After calling out to the butler, he slowly made his way back across the room to his wardrobe. Leaning on the drawers as he opened them, Lawrence rummaged through the cloths to find something suitable for the work he was to do. The rain took care of the outside plants, like the flowers and the vegetable garden, but the greenhouse needed tending to. He would need Ben's help dressing--as always--but Lawrence felt a little less like a burden if he at least laid out the clothes beforehand.

”Dear Sarah,

Life in Bearbrooke is different, but not as different as back home. People here are actually friendly, and talk to each other. My employers cook has even given me recipes.. even though I have a small kitchen. I’ll have to share them with you. By the way...

His pen was interrupted by the ringing of his phone. Which could only be a select few of people, but being it had just rained. He figured it was his employer Mr. Moore. Odd fellow he was, kept to himself, lots of plants... some he’s never even heard of.

Getting up from his chair he moved to the kitchen where he kicked up the phone on the wall. “Hello, Svaa-“

“Mr. Gounouf, the roof is leaking once again, please be here as early as possible. Park in the back of the estates this time.. by the kitchen...” The curt voice of the infamous Ben the Butler rang through the telephone. He sounded a little tired as well.

“Right, I’ll be there in-“ The line went dead. “10 minutes..” Svaan spoke to the empty line with a frown before hanging up the phone. To which right after he retrieved a jacket, keys, along with other supplies needed to patch the leak. “Looks like you’ll have to wait Sarah...” He spoke softly as shrugged on his jacket, and put his flat cap on. Already dressed, as he was going to head into town around this time for food for the week. But that would have to wait as well.

~~
“He said he’ll be here as quick as possible Mr. Moore...” Ben replied to the gentleman’s beckon as he made his way into the man’s bedroom. Then discretely closed the door behind him, as he wouldn’t want and eyes of Lawerence as he dressed.
Ben then moved to Mr. Moore, and looked at the bed. Seeing the clothes he had laid out for himself. Not critiquing on the man’s fashion, but rather putting the shirt aside and going to undo the man’s buttons on his night shirt. He made sure to do this carefully, as the rest of his routine is. Making sure to not mess with the quality of the fabric. Ben prided himself on his routine, and how meticulous he was. Made sure Mr. Morre was properly represented as the sharp, handsome, educated man he was. That he would always be represented as such, by no one else other than Ben. He would make sure of it. His routine was rather lengthy, as he took so much time. To the extent that as he was doing finishing touches, he heard Svaan’s car rolling through the cobble path and to the back. “Good.., he can work on it as you eat...”

~~

Svaan made it in record time, as no one really owned cars just yet, and was on the road because of the rain. After parking he made his way through the back door with his supplies in hand. Greeting with aroma of freshly cut strawberries, toast, and hard boiled eggs coming off the stove. As well an older woman speaking rapidly in French.

Speaking affectionately here addressed her. “Good morning, Cosette!~ Smells divine..” He grinned as he eyed a piece of toast.

“Divine..? What’s this? What is your sister teaching you...” Cosette spoke to him followed by slapping his hand away from the platted meal. Including the toast. “You fly...”

The banter stopped as Ben entered the room, getting the tray and sighing as he looked at Svaan. “Mr. Gounouf... you will patch the leak as Mr. Moore eats. And you will be done before he finishes his meal...”

“In order to get it-“

“I don’t care what you need to do to get it done, just do it...” Ben replied curtly before turning on his heels with the tray and making his way to the dining room.

To which Svaan followed him closely after gathering his things. Upon arriving at the dining room, and seeing Mr. Moore he smiled widely. “Good morning, Mr. Morre !!” He said in a tome that would make birds chirp. His dimples showing making it more genuine then it was. Then his expression quickly when to a mix of concerned and determined. “I’m sorry you had to deal with such a unwelcome inconvenience... it must’ve been terrible to wake up to. I will get onto patching. And patching it well so it doesn’t happen again...”

Lawrence smiled meekly at Ben as he entered the room with news of Svaan. "Thank you for taking care of that." He sat up straighter as Ben began his routine to dress him. Ben was a little rough around the edges, but not a bad fellow. Lawrence was quite fond of him, the butler never treated him as a nuisance or seemed ashamed to have such an eccentric master to serve. He stood up on his cane and helped the butler with his trousers, and as the man was placing Lawrence's shoes on his feet, he spoke again. "Forgive me for the rude awakening. I'm afraid the rain brings out my bitter side." The butler waived away his comments with a nonplussed smile and spoke of Svaan as the car rolled around.

Ben descended first, hurrying to the kitchen to fetch his breakfast. It took Lawrence some few minutes to get down the stairs, but he was seated by the time Ben and Svaan entered the dining room. Ben placed the plate before him, and Lawrence placed a calloused hand on his arm. "Tell Cosette thank you for me, would you? Make sure you take time to eat as well." He placed his napkin on his lap and looked up at Svaan as he spoke. The man was like a living ray of sunshine; always bright and happy, always energetic. Almost like a child. Lawrence admired his boundless enthusiasm and upbeat attitude. It was good to have someone new in the house.

He gave Svaan a soft smile, and lifted his hand in greeting. "Good morning, Svaan. Forgive me for the early call. Please, take your time as you work. There's no rush, I'm just out in the garden today."

Svaan thought to himself. *”As usual.”* But said nothing, instead replaced it with a pleasant smile. “No need sir, it’s a pleasure visiting your estates to work. Your garden is part of why I like coming here !” The redhead complimented his garden, and was truthful about it. He indeed, did enjoy the man’s garden, though as someone he grew up doing labor on land. He didn’t quite understand why he needed so many plants. “I’m sure they liked the good storm...”

Ben coughed, signaling Svaan that perhaps he better cut it at that. And go do his work, rather than chit chat. He knew Svaan liked to chat, and he wanted Mr.Moore to eat.

“Forgive me, enjoy your breakfast and your time in the garden today...” He nodded towards Mr.Moore before heading to the bedroom where the leak was. He was hoping he could knock this out in an hour or so.

Ben watched as Svaan left, making sure he went to the right place. He would make sure to check up on the boy later, make sure he wasn’t slacking. “I will let Cosette know, sir.” He stood besides the door looking out. Thinking of what he had to address today, and future plans for the next week. This took up most of the time until he Lawerence finished his meal. To which Ben collected the plates. And asked if he need any assistance in the garden today.

All the meanwhile, Svaan had made his way into the bedroom. Stared up at the hole, and thought of what exactly he should do to patch it. He needed a ladder... he was tall. But not that tall. Setting his things down he discretely made his way back to his car which required him going back through the kitchen.

He didn’t mind going through the kitchen, or at least here. At past houses the kitchen aids were very rude, as well as the staff. To be fair, the first footmans were sometimes pretty men. To which would make him stay longer, though he knew he could never be with them. No.

Lost in his thoughts he arrived in the kitchen, and was brought to the sight of the staff sitting down for breakfast. Ben didn’t heckle him, but rather ignored him behind his newspaper.

“Have you eaten yet...?” Cosette piped up, looking him up and down like a concerned mother. As if she was checking to see if he lost weight.

“Ah-... I will...” Svaan grinned knowing he wouldn’t get away with. So he rather picked up his pace as he heard Cosette making him promise to come after his job to get something to eat. “Yes, love I will !” He called out to her before opening the door and closing it behind him. Briefly walking to the car.

Sighing he stared at his ladder that was in the back. “Let’s be nice today...? Okay...?” He spoke to the ladder if it was an actual being. Then spent the next five minutes cussing up a storm under his breath in Italian as he wrangled the ladder out of the car. It was an easy job actually, he just didn’t want to damage the interior of his car.

As he set down the ladder with a defeated pout, he stood up and looked out onto Mr.Moore’s garden. It was really beautiful. He admired his attention to detail, and care. The way he handled the leaves, and paid attention to them. The way his fingers moved on the leaves as if he was handling a fragile instrument, how when he found something the creases on his forehead formed. He would look worried. Or when a new leaf would form, a smile would touch his lips.

His-

Svaan shook his head and slapped his face with both hands on both cheeks. Before putting his hands on his hips on looking down at the ladder. “Please be nice to me...” He pleaded his softly.

Lawrence thanked Ben and assured him he didn't need any help in the garden. As he stood from the table he tied back his long hair in a low ponytail and shook himself awake. "Tip Svaan for me if I'm still out when he's finished, Ben." The men left the room through opposite doors, and Lawrence took a breath. He made his way through the house and out into the garden. He'd have to weed before he attended to the greenhouse. Kneeling amongst the greenery, he put his cane down and set to work. Lawrence murmured softly to the plants as he did, encouraging the ones who looked small and praising those who were big.

"Cosette will be happy with our strawberry crop this year." He mused as he looked over the plants. He made a mental note to retrieve a basket later and harvest them. He heard a clatter and saw Svaan wrestling his latter out of the back of his car. Lawrence turned his head back towards his plants and smiled softly. He could hear Svaan pleading with the object to cooperate, and chuckled slightly. That, they had in common, it seemed. Talking to things that couldn't talk back.

After Svaan went inside, Lawrence stood and made his way to the greenhouse across the yard. Once inside, he first went to the pulley system along the wall by the door and tugged for some time. This opened the windows on top of the structure, letting in fresh air. Once the task was done, Lawrence sighed and looked about. He was proud of his collection of exotics he'd amassed here, plants from every continent resided within the walls. Lawrence spent a good deal of time within the glass house, as each plant needed specialized care. Lawrence gathered his tools and set to work, spending a good fifteen minutes on each bloom, speaking to them as if they were old friends.

After wrangling the ladder into the house, with an arm looped through the one of the holes of the ladder. As he walked through the kitchen with the thing, Cosette made sure to lecture him on watching out where he’s going.

“That’s fragile! ... Oi you break it you pay for it...! I use that one god damn it ...” And filled with the usual string of curse words in French.

The same to occur when he went through the dinning hall to the bedroom with Ben, telling him to be careful and to watch were he was going. Under his muttered breath he asked if the man knew what he was doing.

Upon reach the bedroom he drew a sigh of relief, and set the ladder up which allowed him to inspect the leak further. Ben watched him all the while, after Svaan had began work Ben left. He was replaced by the maid. Who oddly spent more time then he’s ever encountered in the room. Though she was like a shy mouse, when you look at her she would quickly go to some other corner threatening to leave.

The maid spend a good portion of the time with Svaan. It took him a little over an hour. But he managed to cut out the damaged area which wasn’t to bad. Replace it with a thin sheet of wood, and sanded it down. He questioned whether or not he should paint it, for it to match in with the rest. Figuring he should at least ask, he made the trip down to the greenhouse. Where he waited at the door frame for a bit, before knocking softly on the interior.

“Sorry to interrupt you, Mr. Moore. The job is finished, and hopefully there should be no leakage... though only a good storm will let us know.” He softly laughed and moved on to why he was here. Not wanting to waste the man’s time. “I was wondering if you would like me to paint the area so it matches with the ceiling. It looks rather odd right now, but better to ask then not...” Svaan grinned earnestly as he looked over the plants. His curious eyes could not help themselves, as well as he did not recognize any of them.

Lawrence looked up at the soft knock, and found Svaan standing before him with that sunny smile. He watched as Svaan eagerly looked around at the foreign flora, and smiled smally. Lawrence stood with a groan, his bad leg buckling. He was quick enough to right himself, and breathed a shaky sigh of relief once he was steady. "Forgive me," he said "I'm afraid all that time on the ground put my leg to sleep." He thought for a moment and replied "There's no need to trouble yourself over painting. You're already here on your day off." Lawrence had a thought, and perked up a little. "Hold on."

He made his way to the back of the greenhouse, muttering to himself as he looked for his prize. With a small "Ah-ha!" he grabbed what he was looking for and limped back to Svaan. Holding out a small pot with his dirt stained hand, he spoke. "This is called a dove tree. It only came over recently from the far southwest of China. But anyway, my mother plant needed pruning, so I had to repot a few branches. I thought it might look well in your apartment. They really only need to be watered thrice a week, and this shouldn't grow too big to be a nuisance for some time." Lawrence realized he was rambling, and stopped. Taking a breath, he said. "What I am meaning to say is thank you."

He stood nervously with his hand extended, wondering what on earth he was doing. Offering a plant to Svaan. How silly.

“It’s no problem really, sir. I just gotta’ head into town for paint....” Svaan spoke as watched the man with a little bit of a worried expression. Then a curious one as the man headed to the back of the greenhouse, coming back with a plant. To which the redhead almost stared at it adoringly.

“Aren’t you cute...” The younger gentleman mused with a childish smile as he took the man plant from the man lightly. “ ve’ got nothin’ like this back home.. “ He muttered as he held it as if it was fine China. Afraid to break it, or drop it. He was also afraid to kill it, but he wouldn’t let the thought fret they moment.

Holding the plant he looked back up to the man with a dreamy gaze. “No need to be thanking me, sir. I should really be the one thanking you...” The redhead made a sound cross between a giggle and a chuckle. A smile plastered on his lips that put his smile lines and dimples to good use.

“I’m guessing the little thing likes a good amount of light... I’ll stick em’ by the window.. hopefully he’ll like it there...” The man mumbled to the little thing. “We’ll have breakfast in the morning together... watch the sun rise...” He hummed. “The grape plants back home liked it when ya’ spent time with them.. we would sing to them for a good harvest...”

Lawrence smiled as he watched Svaan become enraptured by the little bloom. He seemed to fawn over it like it was a child, and it warmed Lawrence's heart. Svaan smiled and it was like the sun came down from the sky to stand before him. Radiant, full of joy and almost blinding. He laughed at the man's comment and leaned onto his cane for support. "Those were very lucky grapes, indeed." he mused "I'm sure they made wonderful wine. My mother used to say things made with love were always a cut above." He recited the old rhyme sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck. "I'm afraid I have no talent for music, so the most I can do is talk to them. But it's good to hear that someone else thinks the way I do."

"If you ever have questions or need anything for it, I'm always here. Not much of a gift if I don't help you keep it healthy." Though lawrence had put a lot of thought into what plant to give Svaan. Something that didn't need too much attention or fussing, as the young man was busy. The dove tree would do just fine with him, awrence was sure.

“Oh they did, sir!!” Svaan almost sounded determined. He held very strong beliefs regarding his families wine, and the grape plants. He stared up at the man with a proud smile as he continued to speak of his families wine. “On the coast we’re pretty well known for it too !! I’ll get ya’ bottle if I can. I’m sure Cosette would like to cook with it...” His smile changed to a mix of endearment and giddy joy upon referencing to the woman and bringing him a bottle. “Ya’ just gotta promise to spread to word.. only if you think it tastes good of course...” This time as he laughed his nose scrunched up a bit.

“Honestly sir, I don’t think they care much for how you sing. But just the fact your puttin’ the effort into doing so. Back home they like the ...” He tried to find the word for the instrument he used back home. This caused him purse his lips and tap his foot a bit. “Guitar...” He spoke it as it was a question, but also an answer. “They like music...” He nodded.

After hearing the last bit of what the man said he nodded looking back down at the little thing with a grin. “Thank ya’ sir. It’s a gift like no other, n’ I appreciate it sir. Thank you for thinking about me and all... really don’t ave’ to go through the trouble...” The redhead smiled sheepishly and fidgeted a bit. He liked giving things, and felt guilty when receiving something. He’ll pay the man back. “Do you like pastries, sir?”

(I'm sorry for the short responses, I'm taking an exam right now)

Lawrence smiled. "Yes," he agreed "I suppose the effort is what counts, isn't it?" He listened to Svaan's halting speech carefully, waiting patiently until he found the words he needed. "Well, if you play you might have to come around and give my garden a performance. Like I said, I've absolutely no talent musically." He smiled smally. "I would love to try your family's wine, Svaan. I'm sure it's lovely."

"I'm sure Cosette would be thrilled, as well." At the question of pastries, he cocked his head to the side, eyeing the swede curiously. "Uhm, yes, I suppose I do. Cosette is intent on fattening me up, you see, so she's begun to introduce them to me. I haven't a favorite yet, though. Why do you ask?"

Svaan brightened at the offer. “Yes sir ! I would love to play for your plants !” He was more overjoyed by the fact that he would be able to do something he knew best. Something that felt like home. “Maybe your garden would like it too...” He cooed as he thought of the possibilities.

“Ah I can relate sir. She checks me to see if I got any skinner every time I come here. I insist that I need to survive on me own. But she’ll have none of it...” He shook his head but smiled endearingly anyways. “Good thing she doesn’t know where I live...” He mumbled more so to himself. Then looked at him eagerly upon the question. “I’ve got to repay you for the plant, sir. Don’t fight with me on it please... It’ll give me a chance to have you try something other than French pastries... !” He said as if he was challenging the quality of French pastries.

Lawrence laughed heartily, leaning on his cane and smiling. It had been a long time since he'd really, truly laughed like that. He looked at Svaan in all his eagerness, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "Well, you'll have to do pretty damn good to out bake Cosette, you know. But I like a man who's up for a challenge. I look forward to your pastries, Svaan." The clock above the door caught his eye, and Lawrence started. "My my, we seem to have gabbed like a couple of old fishers wives. I should hurry and harvest from the garden before it gets too hot." He walked up to Svaan and waited patiently for him to move a little from the doorway.

"I know I called upon you early, have you had a chance to eat yet? I don't like my staff going hungry."

Svaan moved out of the man’s way quickly holding the plant to his chest. As if the shelter if from any harm. “Ah- probably not out bake her, just be a shame if you’ve never tried some Italian pastry...” The man replied sheepishly and looked up at the time as well. The rest of his day he’d spend in town, maybe take a nap in field somewhere.

“No sir, Cosette intends to force something down my throat before I leave. She made me promise...” Svaan muttered the last bit. “Do you need help with the harvest, sir...? I’d be happy to help you...” Svaan offered.

Back home he was forced to help with the harvest. They would spend weeks of long hot days harvesting the food by hand. Then weeks to follow preparing it for various things. Harvest season was a season you worked hard, and thanked the land for the bounty. There was no celebration until spring. And the celebration was the land giving new growth.

Lawrence smiled kindly at Svaan as he moved past, and looked over his shoulder with a laugh. "That is very like her." He considered Svaan's offer. "Well, I have taken up a good bit of your day, but if you don't mind helping, I could use it." He nodded towards the manor as he turned towards the garden. "Go grab a basket from the kitchen and meet me. If you'd rather not, tell Ben to bring one to me on your way out." Lawrence didn't wait for a response, the heat already wearing him out.

He was soon enough among the garden once again, and Lawrence settled on the ground between the rows, gently fingering through the leaves as he searched for ripe food. He placed the fruits and vegetables in a small pile before him as he waited for the basket, talking softly to each plant.

“Yes, sir... of course....” The olive skinned boy nodded his eyes trailing the man as he left to the garden. He followed suit and went towards the kitchen. He put the plant in the drivers seat of his car. Then went through the kitchen door. “Cosette where are the baskets...?” He asked, but then was bombarded with a piece of toast. It being quickly shoved into his mouth.
“Baskets...? Why do you need baskets...?” The woman questioned as she looked at the man with toast in his mouth. Anticipating a response, but seeing him struggle around the toast. “Oh! The garden ! Right ! Your helping him harvest...?” She asked as she went to retrieve two baskets. “Good you to help him, lord knows it gets hot out there... and you have nothing better to do...” She commented giving him the baskets. “Go... have fun...”

Svaan nodded, unable to really do much else. Holding the baskets he went back outside and looked to where the man was. And directed himself over there. To which he kneeled besides the man handing him a basket. “She forced a piece of bread in my mouth, sir...” He commented after taking it out of his mouth and taking a bite.

Lawrence laughed again, taking the basket and beginning to fill it. "It's alright, Svaan. I know well how Cosette can be." He pointed to the other side of the garden. "Here, you take the bigger basket and work your way towards the middle from there. I'll do the same from here." He clapped Svaan on the shoulder and smiled. "Don't forget to finish your toast, too. Let's get this done before it's too hot, yeah?" When Svaan moved to obey, Lawrence watched him for a moment, noticing how he hummed to himself as he worked.

The sunlight streaming down on him almost seemed angelic, like a painting come to life. Shaking his head to clear it, Lawrence went back to work. Once he'd finished with the rows he'd sat between, Lawrence got up and moved to the next few rows. He called over to Svaan, trying to make conversation. "So, how are you liking our little town so far? Was your transition smooth?"

Svaan obeyed to the directions moving to the other side, and ate his toast as he worked. His hands knowing to well how to harvest, it was almost like instinct now. He didn’t have to think of it. Once he had finished his toast, he hummed a working song. Sometimes bits and pieces of the song slipping past his lips. Once he had finished with his rows and was at the middle he looked to the other.

Svaan noted how concentrated he was. But also concerned for the plants well being. The little lines in his forehead showing, and the way his hands carefully picked the fruit. The redhead wondered if Lawerence’s hands were just as rough as his. He wondered if they were smooth, and careful when it came to holding another. But was awoken from his thoughts when the man spoke to him.

“Aye, the town is ... close together...” Svaan spoke with his hands referencing as his two hands intertwined. Then coming apart. “Sometimes a little nosey... but they mean well...” He shrugged and thought back to his home town. This thought bringing back a warm smile to his lips. It was true he desperately missed home, but he had also found a home here. “I’ve been to a lot of places sir, not as much as you... but you would know what it is to transition from one place to the next...” His hands swayed as he talked. “I feel like a crab looking for a permanent shell on a vacant shore...” He explained it rather sadly, but laughed despite it.

“Speaking of sir, are you comfortable with staying...?” Svaan asked, he heard that before the man was a frequent traveler. That he was always somewhere. So to have hired a staff now, and deciding to stay must’ve been hard. Especially for someone as affluent as him, who had the money to go places. “What ya’ learn out there...?”

Lawrence listened to Svaan as he talked, thinking that he spoke like a poet. His voice was filled with a bittersweet wistfulness, full of hope and aching. Lawrence did indeed know intimately the feelings that came with a constant movement. Uprooting and rerooting again and again. While seeing new places was fascinating and often full of knowledge and wonder, it did leave an empty feeling in the heart for stability. He nodded along as Svaan talked, never taking his eyes off the plants as he gently picked their bounty and checked them over.

"I do know of what you speak, truly. Traveling is enchanting, but often a very lonely track to tread. But, I am pleased to hear that BearBrooke is treating you well." He shook his ponytail back over his shoulder when it fell, using his wrist to wipe the sweat from his forehead. "I did not stop my travels entirely of my own accord." He confessed, knocking on his bad leg with a knuckle. "The older I get, the worse this becomes. Travel wears me down unlike it used to." He sighed "But, my grandfather's place was always dear to me, so I don't mind being able to fix it up and settle here. It's a nice, quiet place to rest." He smiled at Svaan's last question, chuckling slightly.

"I'd be happy to share what I've learned with you, but I'm afraid that would take much more than an afternoon chat." Lawrence finally looked up and presented the man with his own soft smile. "I'm always happy to foster knowledge. How about I teach you a little each time you come? Consider it a little part of your payment." He was quick to raise a hand in defense "I'll still pay you in pounds, of course."

“Ah-“ He looked up to the man with the mix of joy and concern. “If it’s no trouble sir, I know you’re a busy man and all. I’d hate to weigh you down. And I can’t guarantee that I’m a fast learner. Got my dads genes, I do.” Svaan rambled on trying to push that he didn’t want the man to burden himself with the ordeal. That while the offer was nice, he wouldn’t be offended if the man blew him off because he was busy. “Thank you for thinkin’ of it though.. my sister would urge me to take on the opportunity....” He spoke softly when it came to his sister. When it came to intimidate family members he was protective of them, and rarely spoke of them. As well as, he didn’t want anyone getting to close. Knowing to much about him. He didn’t want them to get hurt.

Svaan met with his eyes shortly. He was holding back a question on why he never picked up a girl on his travels. Mr.Moore had money, and seemed like a good lad. He figured he must’ve had women swooning after him. But he knew they weren’t that close of friends so he refrained from asking. Instead he looked at the bounty and grinned to himself. “I’m sure Cosette will like how much we picked today.... maybe a bit overwhelmed...” He laughed to himself as he stared at the produce. “Though I doubt it...” He joked, clearly affectionate for the cook. Like a son to a mother. Or two close pals.

“So you never go into town n’ to get fruits and the like...you live off your land...?” Svaan phrased it as if he was very impressed. Farming and living off the land was hard work. But also very rewarding work. “Back in Yorkshire they had chickens... poor things .. I was the only taking care of them...” He shook his head but rather than seeming depressed by the thought he smiled fondly. “They were like dogs, they would respond to there name. And were sweet to you sometimes...”

Memory of the chickens oddly brought back memories of the beautiful first footman he tried to court. First man he worked with that reciprocated his feelings. Or so he thought, thinking back on it now he wasn’t so sure. He hasn’t heard from him in awhile, not since after Svaan left. Last letter they shared was about how he was returning back to his ways of religion and faith. And that Svaan should do the same.

Lawrence smiled softly, the corners of his eyes crinkling. Svaan was always interesting to speak with. Their exchanges up to this point had been rather short and formal, it was nice to talk to him like this. It was almost easy. Lawrence found himself surprised by that thought. "Well then, I say listen to your sister." He responded. "It's hardly any trouble to teach you." Svaan gave him a pensive look for a moment, but seemed to swallow his question and continue speaking.

"Oh, yes, Cosette was quite adamant that we grow our own stock. I'm sure she'll be very pleased with our haul today." Lawrence laughed as Svaan spoke so fondly of his chickens. "Well, that sounds quite fun. Maybe we'll get some to liven up the place." He joked, then continued. "Yes, I live off my land as much as I can. I don't like being around people much. With my...reputation and my leg here, I get a lot of undue attentions." Svaan went quiet for a while, and Lawrence struggled to stand, picking up his cane and basket. Moving over, he clapped the other man on the shoulder.

"Is the heat getting to you, Svaan? Are you alright?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back