• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom The Village Hidden in the Leaves

Aiko Uchiha

Secret Jutsu!

Early one morning, Aiko was eating breakfast in the kitchen. She already had on her ninja gear, and she kept looking at where her father would eventually emerge from. He had only returned home a few days ago, so she didn’t blame him for sleeping in. Nevertheless, Aiko wanted him to stop sleeping and wake up! He had promised to teach her a new jutsu today, and Aiko could barely contain her excitement.

An hour later, he still hadn’t woken up. Annoyed and bored, Aiko began forming ice swords on the table, lining them up next to each other. She noted the minor differences in each of them. Each time, there would be a different design across the blade and handle. She then began to wonder what would happen if she made one giant ice sword. Before she could try it out, her father, Aisu, peeked into the kitchen.

“Practicing chakra control again?” he asked inquisitively. He normally did not find his daughter practicing her jutsu inside the house.

Aiko shook her head. “Just passing the time. You promised to teach me a jutsu today.”

Aisu nodded, noting Aiko’s preparedness. “I sure did. Head to the usual training ground. I’ll catch up to you after I get ready.”

“Got it!” Aiko exclaimed as she practically burst out of her chair and out the door.

———

Much to Aiko’s annoyance, her father had arrived at the training grounds before she had. He wore his jonin vest for once, with his ninja headband tied around his arm. Aiko herself preferred to keep her headband on her head. Aiko noticed he had a katana with him. He never owned his own katana, and she knew it wasn't her own.

“I'm glad you made it! You shouldn’t keep your old papa waiting like that you know!” Aisu said jokingly with a broad grin.

Aiko rolled her eyes. “Whatever, what’s that katana for?”

“It's your mom’s katana. I decided that it was about time I gave it to you. Your mom would want you to have it. But, I think I’ll give it to you after you learn this jutsu, if you can.”

Aiko shrugged, and crossed her arms. “Whatever, it’s just some katana. It doesn’t matter who used it.” She paused, and glanced at her dad, who still hadn’t stopped grinning. “I’ll learn this jutsu real fast anyway, you idiot. So i’ll get it either way.”

“You should call your own dad an idiot, even if it’s true! Anyway, to make this lesson easier, I’m gonna need you to activate that brand new sharingan of yours.”

Aiko turned away and let out an offended “Hmph!”

“I can’t activate it at will yet! I just unlocked the thing a few days ago!”

Aisu nodded. “I expected that to be the case. Don’t worry, I’ll help you out! Get ready!”

Suddenly, Aisu formed a handsign. Several ice swords began forming above him. Aiko’s face formed a fearful expression, as she remembered why sparring her father was so dangerous. Most ice jutsu were pretty lethal.

The first ice sword flew forward, and Aiko rolled out of the way, only to find another one already on its way to skewer her. Already, she felt the sharingan activate, as she dodged the sword by the skin of her teeth. The rest of the swords were coming towards her, but Aiko kept moving, forming her own handsigns as she ran, circling her father. Her own ice swords began flying down, striking her father’s in mid air. It wasn’t long before her father was satisfied, and ceased his barrage.

“Good job! That was easier than I thought it’d be.”

“You almost killed me you idiot! At least give me more time to prepare myself!”

“Aw come on! I’d never give you more than you could handle!”

“Whatever… I got the sharingan now, why do I need to be using it to learn this jutsu?” Aiko asked, with annoyance still in her voice.

Aisu smirked. He was waiting for that question. “Well you see, it took me about three months to really get the basics of this jutsu down. It’s the Yuki Clan’s most powerful technique! It’s said to be undefeatable. Since I don't want to waste your time, you're going to use your sharingan to copy my jutsu!”

“That sounds like cheating.”

“That’s because it is, now watch closely.”

Aisu brought his hands together, and formed a long series of handsigns, while Aiko’s eyes watched intently. She didn’t recognize the last handsign.

“Secret Jutsu: Demonic Mirroring Ice Crystals”

One by one, rectangular ice mirrors quickly formed all around Aiko, surrounding her. Twelve were at ground level, eight floated above those, pointing down at Aiko while the final mirror pointed straight down at Aiko from above.

Shocked and amazed, Aiko found herself unable to speak. She watched her father walk up behind one of the mirrors, and slowly step inside of it. His image gradually appeared onto the mirror as he entered the mirror, until he was fully inside of it. He waved at Aiko from inside the mirror.

“W-what the heck? How are you inside of the ice?” Aiko asked, finally finding her voice.

“This is a jutsu isn’t just an ice jutsu. It’s a teleportation jutsu as well. It allows me to move from mirror to mirror faster than the blink of an eye! Cool huh!”

As Aisu spoke, he moved from mirror to mirror, each time making a different face and pose. Aiko agreed that the jutsu was cool, but the foolish her dad was doing as he explained was taking away from the amazement.

“So you see, this will let me attack from all angles, giving any opponent trapped in her no hiding spot!” Aisu seemed extremely excited about the jutsu, unable to contain his broad smile.

Aiko nodded. “Alright, my turn!”

She began forming the handsign, but felt a firm grip on her wrist.

“Actually, let’s not do that here. This is your secret jutsu, ok! We can’t have everybody watching you do it and go around telling folks about it can we? Besides, with that sharingan you’ll be able to do it again perfectly whenever you want! Right?!”

“Sure… so that’s all we’re doing today?”

“It sure is.”

The ice mirrors all at once exploded into a puff of frost that slowly drifted to the ground, leaving a thin blanket of snow on the dirt.

“Remember, you can create one mirror if you want. Just promise me you’ll never use all of them unless your out of options, ok?”

Aiko nodded. “I promise. But I’m still confused. Are to teleporting into the mirrors or are you just moving super fast.”

“I’m moving super fast! Just like you are in your rise to the top of the ninja ranks! Here!”

Aisu handed Aiko her mother’s katana. Aiko took it, and unsheathed it part way from its scabbard. “T-thanks.”

“Now, let’s go home and eat a snack! I got something special for you!”

“What is it?”

“Fish!”

“Ugh.”

—————-

Later that day, as the sun dipped below the horizon, Aiko had found herself a nice secluded spot in a wooded area within the village where no prying eyes could easily find her. All day, she had tried to figure out how to activate the sharingan on her own power, but she somehow was only successful with one eye. It would have to be enough.

Aiko brought her hands together, and formed the exact hand signs her father had. An ice mirror began to form, chilling the ground beneath it.

“Not bad… but that really took a lot of chakra. Making all of the mirrors is gonna be really draining when I need them. I hopefully won’t ever need them...”

Aiko sighed, and let the mirror disperse. She then grabbed her new katana, her late mother’s, and unsheathed it and gave it a few swings, before sheathing it again. Aiko then gave one last look around, before hugging the katana tightly with a smile. Quickly regaining her composure, Aiko began heading home, satisfied with her ability to replicate the Yuki Clan’s jutsu.

Cookies of Forgiveness

Standing outside Takara’s house, Mai Sanada had a plateful of cookies. The way she shook though, it’d be a miracle if they didn’t end up dropped. She was red as a tomato.

I don’t wanna do this! I don’t wanna do this!

She tried taking a deep breath, though it failed. At the moment she was really hating her Mom, but she had to admit, her Mom was right. Mai’s worst areas were her assigned sensei’s best. Still, Mai remembered the punch to the nose. It hurt. Not so much the punch itself, but the being yelled at for the genjutsu request. Mai was almost tempted to pull out her weapon and laugh at Takara about them. That would be the classic Mai way. But, dangit, Mai couldn’t keep adding goals and not finish any of them. She had to beat the Mizukage, that was her first goal. She couldn’t do that and teach herself. She HATED to admit it to herself, but her Mom was rather convincing.

Mai finally knocked.

It wasn’t long after that the Jounin opened the door. Dressed casually for a change, a pair of elaborate earrings seemed to flashed in the sunlight. Takara quirked an eyebrow at her trembling student. “Is… everything alright, Mai?”

Mai had only JUST managed to get the shakes under control when Takara opened the door, and they came back as she fumbled for words.

What am I doing!? What am I doing!?

“M-my m-mother said to b-bring you th-these…”

Shit! Shit! Mission abort!

“Oh?” Takara’s eyebrow seemed to inch up higher as she took the plate and motioned for Mai to come inside. “And what else did she tell you to do?” She had a feeling Nohime had much more than a cookie delivery in mind.

Mai clenched her teeth at the comment. Her pride was far larger than any horse pill that existed on earth, and far harder to swallow. She followed Takara inside, realizing she’d never actually been inside her home. It was a bit odd seeing her outside of missions. The clothing, the seeing of an actual home. Mai did, for a moment, facepalm at the jewelry on the table. It just seemed so fitting and strange at the same time. She took a seat, and took a deep breath, still not sure where to start.

"Damnit all to hell! I don't know how to word it right. Look, I ain't gunna apologize, but right now I'm failing hard on a mission the Hokage assigned me. I'm suppose to have you as my sensei, and be part of Squad Six. If I can't do that, I'm failing a mission from him, cause I wanted nothing to do with you. I really wanted to say I got strong by myself. But that's wasting everyone's time. Look, I ain't going to say I'm not still angry, but I want to offer an olive branch. I'll listen more in exchange for a sensei again. Whatever you need, I'll do it, but just cause I want strength, kay?"

Takara blinked a few times, sitting across from Mai. “I see…” Now that sounded more like something Nohime would have forced the girl into doing. She’d have to ask her just what she did to get Mai to listen for a change. “Very well, then. But you’ll have to take ‘no’ for an answer for some of your… more wild requests.”

“And you’ll have to learn a lil’ bit more ‘bout me too. Thankfully, fairly ‘sure’ they won’t get more wild than some of the stuff I’ve done.”

Mai smiled mischievously glancing at the array of bandages of the item she’d been carrying. But, that’d be a different surprise.

“Aaaanyways, yeah, good enough. Said I’d listen, so I will. I still am mad, sure you are too, but you are my sensei, I am your student, just the way it is. Not like ninja work’s always fun. Alright, just let me know what you want me to do, and what you want me to work on. And yeah, the cookies are from my Mom, but not like she forced me here. She just...kinda… showed me a thing or two.”

Mai flinched a bit from the memory of the paralysis jutsu.

“...Oh shit…” Hideki let out, hanging in his room he had managed to hear just about… well most of… Okay pretty much the whole conversation. Mai actually…. Apologize? Did hell freeze over? Well, not exactly apologized, since she more just tried to perform a truce… But at the same time that's… better than nothing?

He kept trying to be quiet and move to the door of his room to see the two, but the creak of the floor made his presence easily known. “Shit.”

At the creak, Mai did something interesting, she meditated for a moment. The breath pattern was one she’d recorded in her journal… one she knew well from her studies.

“HIDEKI!”

Hideki didn’t move a muscle in terms of his legs, keeping the weight where it was, he simply readied to use earth spear in his attempt to save his life and limb. But he did not move, hoping to whatever god was watching that she would take it as the house settling or something.

...or maybe Takara would save him?

Please muscle sensei! Save your poor student!

“I can hear you breathing! And the pattern lets me know its you! What the hell did you think I’ve been doing last few months? Get down here!”

Hideki sighed and came out of hiding, even though he does LIVE here now. “Fine, what do yea want?’ the young man came out and entered the room. “Don’t think of blaming me, I was just in my room.” he immedately was on the defence, knowing his friend well enough.

The beast got up, snarled, then glanced back at her leash still sitting on the couch. Instead, she just put her hands on her hips, slightly red in the face.

“Didn’t you know it’s bad manners to eavedrop on two young women? Don’t you dare tell Aiko a dang thing you heard, okay?”

She then turned to Takara, and picked up her bandaged item.

“Anyways, thanks… I guess? So, when’s training? Tomorrow morning? Later today? When?”

Takara stood, “Since I’ve got the both of you here for once, let’s go ahead and get to work. I’ll meet you at training field 7.”

“Sure.”

“Fine...”

It was a short walk, the training area was an open and level field. Only a few of the already sparse trees at the edges survived the attack from the Mist. “So, Mai, just what have you been working on this past month?”

Mai just smirked. She reached into her pouch, pulled out a blindfold, and continued to walk as if nothing was wrong.

“Oh, a few things. Also got a new weapon, but, well, still training to use it. Little heavy. Kinda told a guy I’d treat it better than its last user, so waiting til I’m strong enough to really pull it out. That, and I still need a lil’ more grip strength. Mom says it’ll come back eventually, just the nerves are, well, to put it nicer than her, messed up. So, if I had to say two things, sensory - sound, and strength. Hey, Hideki, haven’t seen too much other than those star nin, what’cha been up to?”

“Missions and stuff. Been kinda busy for the last while.” the young man scratched his chin thinking about it. “And you’ve seen the latest new thing i can do recently. Nearly knocked a few teeth out last time…”

“Hehe, told you to let go, not my fault you’re an idiot. Man, what a welcome back for my mother at work. She said she created a scar removal jutsu just for me! Hey, Takara-sensei, what does your training look like? I mean, do you train to get stronger, or just for status quo? Guess never thought about, there a point where you just go ‘eh, strong enough’? I want lots of power, and I never want to quit getting stronger myself. Why I’m back.”

“Hideki’s seen some of it,” Takara folded her arms, “I’m always looking to improve my techniques, being Jounin doesn’t mean I can just stop.”

“Well, if ya can’t stop, where are ya going?”

“One day I shall hold the power sensei has…” the young man clenched fist, feeling determination well inside… For really the wrong reasons in truth. He tries not to think too much on it, core strength being key or not, the abs man…

“Pfft, come on, learn to dream. Everyone is a stepping stone. Everyone.”

Takara sighed, “Anyway, the both of you fight primarily with taijutsu, losing your footing could be the end of the fight and potentially your life. This technique is straightforward enough, rooting yourself to the ground with chakra. It’s similar to what you had to do in tree climbing training.”

“So… use the chakra to root ourselves? I can see how that could be useful.” he wasn’t sure if this was a technique or more just another application of tree climbing technique. Well, he wasn’t going to complain. “Well, alright. Sounds pretty simple.”

“So…. are you going to show us, do you want us to just see if we got it?”

The Jounin raised an eyebrow, “It’s simple enough to go ahead and try on your own. Or are you just looking for an excuse to take a swing at me?”

“Uh….” Mai slightly blushed.

Hideki sighed. “...Well, i guess the main way to know if we have it down is to have a hard enough force to knock us back… So…” he got into a horse stance and readied himself for an incoming impact. “Come on. Don’t have all day.” he focused his chakra into his feet, readying himself to stay right where he was.

“...not the face.”

Mai stopped, and tapped his chin.

“Hey, Hideki, can ya use that jutsu from before? I wanna try something! Also, Takaaaara-sensei… remember when I said I probably wouldn’t be able to do anything wilder than I already have?”

“Well that didn’t last long….”

Mai pulled out her clothed item, and rapidly unwrapping her new baby, holding the Kabutowari between her two hands. The hammer in her left, and the ax in her right. It was heavy… In the right she could hardly grip it, her hand so loose. It was more coiled around it than anything. But the left hand had the hammer, and at this moment, that was what she needed. Still felt superheavy. Mai realized it was actually the first time she’d actually held the weapon since she’d got it.

“Alright, Kabutowari, new wielder, just training, but I want you to see a better way than senseless killing. Let’s train! Hideki, ready?”

Without waiting for an answer, she leapt at him, smashing at him with the hammer. If it was any consolation, it was a light swing… mostly because it was too heavy for her to actually do a proper strike.

The young man grumbled as his skin turned black as coal, he planted his feet down and rooted himself again. Timing his block her curled his arm upwards to brace against the strike of the hammer.

The weapon smacked off with an audible ping, but as takara had said not a minute ago, he had not moved.. Though he most certainly felt rattled from the strike.

Mai’as eyebrows raised as she felt the impact. She didn’t back up any. Instead, she focused teh chakra in her feet. She figured that ‘pushing’ outward like tree climbing would have a negative effect, so instead she created more of a ‘pull’, a little bit excited. Maybe she could stand up to her dad now? A small smile showed at her lips that grew bigger…. And bigger… and inhumanly wide.

“Hit me, Hideki! As hard as you can! HIT ME!

Oh?

Finally a chance to get back at her for all the times he had taken her bullshit? She had never, ever pulled a punch in regards to him… But now she wanted him to deck her as hard as he can?

“...Are you.. Absolutely certain..? As hard as I can?”

“Come on, you have one between your legs don’t you? AS HARD AS YOU CAN!

….Cheeky little shit.

The young man planted his foot in front of the young lady and let out a very deep breath, drawing back his blackened fist slowly, intently, drawing it out as if teasing the young lady with it.

She really wanted it, she so very, very wanted to be punched…

Oh but he was going to give it to her, just the way she wanted it…

And with a sudden movement he inhaled and…

“Maybe later, I got meeting thing to get to in an hour.”

”HIIIIT ME!”

“Nah.” the young man began to walk back home.

Mai whimpered.

Takara rubbed the bridge of her nose with a sigh, why was this the team she was given…? What’d she ever do to the Hokage? “Mai… care to tell me just where you got that?”

“Nice little shop in the older district?”

“....It was Koma, wasn’t it?”

“Who? It was some guy called Uncle Koko. Also got a teapot for 1,000 Ryo.”

A low, frustrated groan, “Right… I’m going to have to have a few words with him later.”

“So, uh...Guess that’s it? Moment’s ruined anyways. Think I got the basics. Reminds, me, need to stop by Uncle Koko again, promised him I’d become a regular. Last time I used that teapot, I made a friend. Gave me this sword too when I asked. I still want to pay him for it eventually when I’m stronger. Hey, Takara-sensei, how much you think is fair compensation?”

“Several million Ryo at the very least…”

Best Purchase: A New Friend
Mai looked at the shop from outside. Hopefully Takara hadn’t been serious about chewing Uncle Koko out. Well, she’d promised to be a regular here, and she wasn’t going to go back on her word due to something small like the fury of an emotionally erratic sensei! ‘Sides, this place was always fun. Besides, she knew what she wanted to buy, if she could find it.

Looking for an open sign, she opened, and gleefully annoyed herself.

“Yo, Uncle Koko, Mai Sanada’s back. Said I’d be back to buy things, well here I am! Also… what kind of shop is this again?”

Seemingly for once, the man was indeed at the counter, though he appeared to be wrestling with what appeared to be a very fuzzy and angry rope. “Damn you get into the- Oh hello there Mai how are you- get in there!” the man continued to try and smack the fuzzy rope into what almost looked like a… Smoking pipe?

‘Feel free to take a look around!” he slowly began to stuff the rope into the pipe, finally ending off with a part that somewhat looked like a head with beady little eyes and fuzzy ears…

“Need some help?”

Mai looked at… whatever it was. It looked like a slinky to her. Little bastards were always so hard to coil right. Seeing Koko finish, she simply shrugged, and looked around.

“Not exactly sure what’cha sell, but looking for some cloth to hide my blade in. Haven’t really used Kabutowari yet, but I don’t want to use him at a bad time. He’ll learn what a sword is suppose to be. But in the meantime, all the cloth I use to hide him keeps getting torn ‘cause he’s so heavy. You got anything stronger? Or maybe a better blindfold I can’t see through the corners of for my training? I dunno. If ya don’t got either, advertise to me, promised I’d be a returning customer!”

Koma scratched his chin, nodding as he listened to the young woman’s inquiry. “Well… Lets see... “ he gazed around the shop for a moment and a thought occurred to him. “Ah, how did the teapot end up by the way? It was an old thing, still usable for an antique I may add.” he began to walk towards a shelf and lean down to find what he was looking for.

“Pretty good, works fine, though my Mom uses it more than I do. Some weird person showed to our house afterwards. They were less fortunate than us, so we took them in, gave them the attic. They keep sparring with Uncle Toshiro, a fire release user too, so the two get along great, which is weird because Uncle Toshiro normally takes training waaaay too far. Like, he breaks bones, but guess he learned to hold back. I sometimes hear her crying with joy up there. She’s really picky though, complaining how she’s hungry, but doesn’t eat anything. Think Imma call her aunt Joro. She started making us clothes though! Probably cause mom demanded rent, but they’re really comfy. Little bit sticky though. Oh, sorry, tangent. Yeah, the teapot works great, always hot. Is there seal in it or something?”

“Ah yes, that's good to hear.” koma nodded half listening. “She’s the type to eat a live pig, you know those types and all that.”

“Huh, think we should let her hunt on the Nara’s fields? Weird, must be a foreigner.”

“Something like that, let her out to pasture there on occasion or bring a pig in. Think… Aburame with spiders?”

“I just thought she wasn’t from around here. Oh well.”

“That said, She does do good work with silk. Why don’t you ask her for a cloth? I’m all but happy to take your money.” he laughed as he plucked out what looked like a rolled up bolt of cloth.

“Got yea.”

Mai picked up the cloth, tying it around her eyes for a feel. “True, but its always so sticky. I don’t know how she does it. That, and I said I’d be your customer. Only problem is I don’t know what’cha sell. You really gotta give me a tour some time.”

“Sure sure, mainly sell antiques though- Hey might wanna read the label before you go and start wrapping your-” he wasn’t able to finish his sentence before the cloth came to life and began trying to mummify her head with it’s length, wrapping and wrapping and wrapping, ending off around her neck and pulling tight.

“Ah shit kid I’ll be right back with scissors.”
the sound of footsteps ran out and Koma rushed off.

Most people tended to panic when getting strangled. It had let them survive. It was for this reason the human race was not primarily made up of the Sanada, who pulled the cloth tighter.

The bell on the door lightly jingled as another pair of footsteps made their way inside. “Sensei, I’m back,” Yukari called, “Nona wanted me to…” She stopped, blinking at the sight of the cloth attempting to smother a customer. “Oh goddammit, Atsuko…” The Hyuuga ran over, grabbing the ends of the cloth and sending pulses of chakra through it. There was no guarantee it would work, but it was worth a try.

Mai blinked as the cloth exploded off of her face, honestly looking a weird combination of confused and disappointed. She did take a few deep breaths before continuing.

“Well, ain’t paying for it now. Hey, you were in my class… what was your name again? I’m Mai Sanada. Thanks, I guess. What brings you here?”

“Yukari Hyuuga,” she replied, still wrestling with the now very unhappy spirit. “Running errands for sensei- damn thing, I’m about to throw you in the fire.”

“Cool, I’m a regular here. Or rather said I’d become one. Always fun. And I kinda owe Koko one priceless blade, so… yeah, trying to make it up. Don’t think that thing works great as a blindfold though. Just need something so I can train better than what I have right now. If ya ask, it’s a training thing, not a hobby. Wait… hey, you were the squad that helped us fight that swordsman. Wish I could have gotten a better swing in on him. Oh well. So, what sorts of errands?”

This was the moment that Koma showed back up, almost comically large, and suspiciously bloody, scissors in hand. ‘Got em hold…. Ah Yukari, seems you’ve finished up the shopping, and Mai isn’t dead.” he placed the scissors down on the counter and walked over to the two. “So? Do you have the stuff?” he asked as he wrenched the wriggling cloth away from the two, holding it like he was grabbing the scruff of it’s neck.

Did cloth even have a neck?

Who knows.

“Sorry for calling you in with simple groceries, I do have that thing I promised however.”
the man smirked, glancing at the pipe that was laying… On the floor… Again… He scowled, as much as the man could. “...Seems the fox is loose again..”

“Yeah,” Yukari shrugged off her bag, setting it on the counter. “Said hi to Nona, she put something in there for you too.” She sighed and rubbed her eyes, “Where the hell’s Atsuko? Could really use a hand now…” Her byakugan flared to life as she started searching for the pesky spirit, “Sorry Mai, but get used to it if you’re going to be here a lot.”

Mai started to laugh til she cried. Get used to what?

“Wow… Get used to what? This place is so much less weird than my house. I got an Uncle who’s a trap specialist. I got catapulted into the side of the Hokage Monument once when I was six. Watching my dad ‘spar’ with him afterwards was great. 3 broken ribs. Disappearing things, I live in a house with 30 people. Thing go missing all the time. Also, I ain’t paying for that! I could still see out my left eye! What else ya got? Oh yeah, if we’re looking for someone, describe them to me! I can help!”

And like that, Mai plopped down to the floor in a meditative stance. She waited for instructions before she began.

Yukari turned her head towards Koma, raising an eyebrow. It wasn’t like she could help find the thing, unless…

He didn’t…

But he would…

“So you two.” a devious smile popped onto his face. ‘I got to make a small… Run in back. So, while I’m doing that. Could you two try and help find that damn… Fox.. yes, lets call it that. When you find it, stuff it in that pipe and close the lid.

You’ll find some tape for the lid under the counter. I’ll be abck in a sec~!”
the man snickered slightly as he grabbed the groceries and ditched the kids to deal with his problem… AGAIN!

As soon as he vanished, Mai turned to Yukari, her eyes still closed.

“So, do you want me to follow him or the fox? I mean, kinda curious where he’s going. Also, describe the fox if we do that one.”

The Hyuuga let out a slow sigh, “Damn him…” She turned towards Mai, “It’s… like a snake and fox hybrid, so no legs.”

“Did he let a fox %#@$ a snake?”

He didn’t. Not sure how it… became a thing.”
Then again, not like she really knew how most Yokai came to be.

Mai tapped her chin.

“Weird, not sure what sound to listen for them… last question, assuming the mutant’s got fur, what’s it look like? It is clean, or dirty?”

“Yeah, it’s fluffy, keeps its fur pretty clean.”

Mai then steadied her breathe, entering a trance as she took in every sound around her. She could suddenly make out the footsteps outside, the breeze against the trees, the dripping water from a faucet. The longer she listened, the more her range expanded. Mai looked specifically for the slithering sound of a snake. If it was clean fur, that meant it was probably more self conscience, and might be a quieter movement. It took a minute, but Mai finally got the listen on several snakes. One was slightly quieter than the others, moving much more elegantly. Mai’s eyes snapped open and she pointed the general direction.

“Hey, Hyuuga, it’s that way, can you get a pinpoint with your Byakugan? Let’s go, I can listen better outside.”

Mai shot out the door in the general direction.

Yukari wasn’t really given a chance to answer as Mai took off out the door. She wasn’t entirely sure just what to make of the girl but didn’t really have time to think on it now. Working to keep pace with the other Chuunin, her byakugan scanned for any signs of the fuzzy bastard.

“So, I got a weird question. How do you get along with your sensei? I mean, he seems nice, but I really don’t get along with mine personally. Curious if that’s normal at all. Also, see him yet?”

“He’s nice but still manages to be a prick sometimes. Basically the type that’ll throw you into the rapids with no warning and watch if you sink or swim.” To say nothing of the spirits they worked with on an almost daily basis. This one wasn’t powerful, but damn if he wasn’t annoying. “Found him; the large oak ten meters ahead.”

“I’d wish mine’d give me the chance to sink or swim. In the tree? Hmm. On it!”

Mai faded to black. She reappeared at the base of the tree, her fist embedded firmly in it. Chasing him up the tree would be a pain, better to just surprise the thing out the tree.

“So, what about ya teammates? Ever hang out with them? I mean, personally for me its the highlight of being in a squad. Aiko’s fun to mess with, got a trigger temper. Fun to press all day long. Hideki’s like a brother to me, though, gotta say, little bit cute. Still won’t hit me, Imma get him back for that one! But yeah, how’s it with your squad? Ours is basically Aiko tells me not to do something stupid, Hideki eggs me on to do it, Takara yells at me, and at least 3 of the 4 go home laughing.”

“My teammates…?” Yukari clicked her tongue, lunging for the startled fox before it could get away again. “We’re teammates in name only, simple as that. Gotcha,” she barely grabbed it by its tail. “I’ve worked with Hideki a few times, not a bad guy. Certainly cute.”

“Should see his abs…”

“I have…”

Mai nodded, nothing else needed to be said to that.

“Why is it our class is nearly all girls? Anyways, huh, so I got a great team, crappy sensei, you got crappy team, good sensei. So, if you don’t get along with your teammates, I’m always up for a spar if ya need it.”

Mai looked at the fox...snake...thing? What the hell WAS that? Mai was starting to think her guess about heritage was right on.

“Uh… which parent’s the snake, which was the fox? Sounds like a book sensei would read….”

“Guess a new sparring partner wouldn’t hurt, teammates sure as hell won’t-”
The angry fox latched onto her nose, “Ow, bitch! Let go!”

Mai, being Mai, did the Mai thing. She clamped down on the fox-snake-mutantbastard-thing as hard as she could to try and force his jaw open from surprise if nothing else, her thumb pressing hard against its jaw. It was a second later she realized she’d hurled it like a baseball against the side of the nearest building as hard as she could.

“He’s sturdy, right? ...Right?”

It was at this point, a certain man who should’ve been doing this himself came out of the store with pipe in hand. “Just where did they get… off…. To…” he examined the cratered wall of the shop and the fox splattered upon it, he walked over towards the wall and peeled off the fox-snake being and swiftly stuffed it in the pipe.

“There we go, good as new eh?’ he asked as he not too subtly applied duct tape over the top of the lid.

“You really need to fix your seals, Sensei…”

“I didn’t know this was also a shop for animal husbandry. Huh. Learn new things about it every day. What kind of shop is it?”

“A shop for a little bit of everything.”
he patted the top of the lid and tossed it towards Yukari. “There we go, payment for the groceries. Be kind to the little guy, if he gets out of hand sick Hikari on him… And keep the cloth if you want it Mai, I’ve no use for it.” he sent the bolt of cloth her way.

“Could be good to keep that weapon in, tough stuff that cloth.”

He had, most definitely, not made two bad decisions at this moment, especially as the cloth tried once again to strangle Mai.

Such was life in Konoha.

Mai Sanada Yukari Hyuuga
A Friendly Duel

A rather loud greeting awaited the gates of the Hyuuga compound as Mai knocked heavily against the large, large doors leading it. The brass door knockers were impressive, and Mai was unsure if they were ornamental or not. Either way, she used them three times.

“Yo, Yukari in? I’d like to challenge her, one heir to another. Its Mai, of the Sanada! Just wanted to have a quick punch or two in.”

With no answer, Mai knocked louder, growing a little bit flustered. Her family was extremely quick to answer the door. Maybe no one was by the front door and she’d have to sneak in? Well, ‘sneak’ in.

Finally, the gates opened. A young man regarded her with narrowed, pale hues. “May I… help you?” His tone was polite, if only barely.

“Here to spar with Yukari Hyuuga. I am Mai, heir to the Sanada clan. I know her, and I’m curious how the heir to such a prestigious clan like this does against me. So, where can I find her?”

Mai knew all about the formalities she was skipping, but there was a stuffiness to any clan. Even hers. There could be a lot of political maneuvering and trying to annoy the other clan by making the other wait to force them to acknowledge who was in charge. Mai just wanted to skip that and fight Yukari and be done with it. Less she could deal with minor clan members, the better.

The man’s eyes seemed to narrow further, but he nodded and took a step back. “If you would follow me,” he led her inside to a sitting room, “If you would please wait here a moment.” He said little else before disappearing from sight. A pair of servants stepped in shortly after, offering tea to the unexpected guest.

Mai gave an obviously annoyed sigh as she sat down for the tea. She actually sat prim for once. She hated it.

“It’d be so much easier if people could just do what they say. Now I gotta wait while they go gossip, just so I know who’s house I’m in, or some bull. And anything I do wrong gets to be village news. Can’t I just come here and punch somebody like a civilized person?”

Mai took a deep breath, and sat the tea down on the table, and opened her ears as she concentrated. It probably wasn’t polite, but, hey, she’d bet they’d do the same thing with their eyes. Listening, she heard all sorts of conversations

“What do the Sanada possibly think they’re doing with this?”

“There’s no such thing as a ‘friendly sparring match’ with one of them…”

“Why did you even let her in?”

“No good comes from those berserkers…”

Mai scowled, clenching her fist as she was angered out of her meditation.

“Don’t punch them out… don’t prove them right… Just cause we’re crazy doesn’t make us stupid. What is crazy anyways? We like battle? Bullcrap if they don’t. They have an entire clan based around it. Whole branch/main family thing makes worse fighting than us, just less honest.”

“Yeah, but good luck getting them to get their heads out of their asses and actually acknowledge that.” Yukari stepped into the room, Hikari following close behind. The cat gave a quiet mew before padding over to Mai in hopes of being pet. “Prooobably shouldn’t have made it sound like a formal duel… They’ve about lost their minds in there.”

“Come on, ya don’t think I didn’t know that? If I’d said anything else they’d make up some other excuse why I’d have to wait hours, or why you were busy, or how dare a Sanada walk on their doorstep. Figured it might be boring here otherwise. I mean, did you see how pale that freak who opened the door was? I don’t think some of them have seen sunlight for a week straight. So what’s the plan now? Have they formally introduced you, or did ya sneak off when ya heard them losing their little minds?”

A slight smirk crossed the Hyuuga’s lips, “Snuck out, they’re too involved in their argument to pay attention to much else.” She glanced back down the hall, “But we should get a move on before someone tries to find me.”

“They can literally see through walls, can’t they? Well, bet they can’t move as fast as us, at least not without ruffling their clothing. Where we going, princess? Tell me the way! Hahahaha!”

“You have a favorite training place?”

Mai body flickered away from the tea table, carrying Kabutowari was heavy, but she’d gotten more practiced with its weight.

“So, question. I mean, I read lots of things on other clans…. Don’t you dare tell my teacher I picked up a book, I’ll deny it till the end of time. I noticed ya clan doesn’t have a ton of medics despite ya eyes. How flashy a fight you think we can get away with in the future? Wonder if we can make it dramatic and ‘violent’ enough to give them a heart attack. Don’t worry, I won’t actually hurt you, you aren’t Hideki. I mean, I did come here for an honest spar, but… well, now I just want to mess with them.”

“You know, I’m actually not sure why a lot of Hyuuga don’t pick up medical ninjutsu…” Moving through the gate, they started down the street. “Between our eyes and chakra control you’d think it’d make sense… Ah, but gods forbid we stray from tradition.” Yukari rolled her eyes.

“Easy, they like to fight more than they like to heal. They just lie about it. If they really wanted to be the greatest clan in the Leaf, they’d pick up long range weapons, medical jutsu, and drop the taijutsu. But taijutsu with just a touch? Now that’s humiliating, and if your opponent doesn’t know what they are doing, it's debilitating!

“Now favorite training spot, well, there’s Training Field #42, haven’t really gone there since that boy stopped showing up. There’s my clan one, always busy. There’s my clan’s secret one, don’t think that’d fly. Just a dark as hell waterfall anyways. Hmmm. Training field #6. It’s where my Squad goes to anyways. And hey, if Takara gives me crap, I can say I’m sparring with a friend! Let’s go there.”

Mai made her way there in no time. As she arrived, she noticed a white spec on the ground. “Oh cool, a tooth. What’s it doing out here?” She shrugged, and reached into her pack for a blindfold, and wrapped it around her head. Finally ready, she held out the hand sign to start “Tell me when.”

Yukari nodded, shifting into a stance of her own, “No sense in waiting around, then.”

At the end of it, Mai lay flat on her back, panting hard. Oddly, she looked a little too happy. She leaned her head up. “So… that’s what gentle fist feels like… Awesome."

Yukari laughed, falling back into the grass beside her.

Mai then let her head fall back to the ground, mostly because she could hardly move it. Most people would describe the sensation as ‘painful’. Mai described it as ‘five more minutes’. “Well, I had fun. So, I have a question. You’re the heir, right? What’cha gunna do about ya clan being a bunch of pricks? I don’t think they’re going to stop just because your clan head unless ya make them.”

Yukari softly sighed, watching the clouds overhead for a moment, “Raise a little hell, flip the whole clan on its head. The elders already hate me, being clan head won’t change that.”

Mai twitched on the ground.

“Yeah, but that’s why it's worth asking for. If clan head ain’t good enough, then what? What’cha dreaming for, girl? Can’t be crazier than some of the other ones I’ve heard. I always like to listen to a friend's dreams.”

“I wanna fix the clan, get rid of the rift between the two branches. There’s so much wrong with the Hyuuga… Clan head has the best chance at fixing that, or start to. Might even require the Hokage stepping in, it’s such a mess.”

“Cool. But if ya they hate ya, what’cha gunna do to force them to your side? I mean, like ya said, if there’s a lot wrong with it, it's gunna be hard. They might try to take your birthright, or send people after ya. Got anyone in the clan as friends? Or are ya going to be so powerful they have to bow before you? Or are ya working on respect from high end missions?

Also, how can I help? Cause sounds like having the clan head of the Hyuga would be damn awesome.”

Yukari laughed, weak and sputtering, “They’re already looking to take my birthright. I’ll have a younger brother in about a month… I might have the entire branch house at my back but I’m against the entire main house.”

“Huh, cool! I always wanted a sibling. Still sucks about birthright. Well, then, which way ya going? Well, respected missions or such strength they’d be afraid to try and put the brand on ya? I mean, ya got time, they wouldn’t dare do it for a few years. Do ya really want to get strong?”

The Hyuuga fell quiet once more, “Having the respect of the village would help… But I’ll also need to be able to hold my own… Gods know what they’re going to try if I keep fighting them.” She hesitated, looking over at Mai, “How… did you know about the brand?”

Mai groaned as she got up, standing tall.

“Cause, I gotta dream too. And the clan heads are going to gotta work together someday. They gotta know each other. I mean, everyone thinks I’m an idiot, I don’t think I am.

Been really nice today. Normally I get way into training cause I don’t wanna deal with things. Or I’m trying to make up for SOME mission mistake, but not often I get to just relax.”

Mai cracked her neck.

“Next time, do you mind if I go a bit more serious. I don’t wanna hurt ya, but if ya wanna get stronger, I don’t think me goofing around is going to cut it. I need to get strong too, and Imma need your help. I’m trying to get stronger with this blindfold and with Kabutow- I mean this weight on my back. But if mean, if I’m going against the next Clan Head of the Hyuga, kinda need to give it my all. And I wanna see whatever weird crap Koko’s been training ya in, so don’t you hold back either. If ya ever need any help, I’m here. ‘Sides, think I figured out how to deal with gentle fist if any of ya families giving ya trouble, I mean, how embarrassing for a Sanada to put them in their place.”

Yukari pushed herself up, slowly nodding. “Yeah, my taijutsu needs work anyway. I might even be able to teach you a couple new tricks if you want.”

Mai thought for a second and tapped her chin. She reached for the back of her shirt, and ripped off a patch of it off, her clan symbol.

“If anyone in your clan asked what happened, tell’im the truth, ya kicked my ass! Man, gentle fist is annoying, still feel stiff.”

Mai sounded far too giddy at that last statement.

“Thanks, Mai… this means a lot.”

Yukari Hyuuga and Atsuko
Atsuko stared at the package before her on the countertop… Just why did her father have to be so cruel? To force her into such slavery, oh the horrible things he makes her do, which now that she thought about it sounds very dirty and will never be thought of again. The young woman with sleepy eyes pawed at the package. The wrapped box was for none other that Roku, she didn’t know what was inside, or why a god would want something from the human world…

But she was never one to care too much.

Not only was she supposed to deliver this box, but she was supposed to be going with that other person, whose name she couldn’t be bothered to remember at all. Today was the day the box came in, and today was the day she was to head out with it alongside the other person… She just had to… Wait until she got here…

In the meantime, she started to slowly lower her head to the counter, her eyes slowly closing as she began to drift off….

Something eventually poked the top of her head, “One of these days I’m going to walk in here and you won’t be asleep…” Yukari muttered, leaning over the counter slightly. Koma had asked her to deliver a package to Roku, it had been awhile since she’d last seen the kitsune. Hopefully, she was doing better…

Atsuko jolted awake, for once her eyes wide as she stared at Yukari, oh great, it seems chasing that cupcake turtle in her dream will have to wait… she nearly had the bastard though.

“Unlikely…” she grumbled, shifting her hair adornments a bit to get one sitting properly. “So… How about you do this yourself huh? I’ll just drag you down.” she began to negotiate the terms of her laziness.

Yukari paused, tilting her head slightly. “I don’t think Koma’s message even mentioned you coming along in the first place.”

“...it… Didn’t? But dad said he wanted me to…” the sound of her grumbling in frustration could very well be heard outside, frightening a dog that happened to be walking nearby. “Dad… seriously… Whatever, let's go!” she relented, having enough of the confusion and deciding to be prudent and compliant for once. “Not it.” she spoke up, walking to the door with the box on the countertop.

Yukari sighed, grabbing the package and following her outside. “So what’s even in this thing anyway?” Roku was essentially a god, ordering from a shop (even if it dealt in otherworldly items) did seem a little pointless.

“Hell if I know… I’d sneak a peak but last time I did that my hair caught on fire.” she admitted, leading the way as people gave the shrine maiden looking young woman a large berth… An even larger one as they realized the woman following her was a Hyuuga.

“Why do yea stick around my old man anyway?” she asked looking back to Yukari, looking more like a delinquent than what her clothes imply, one might even imagine she’d pull out a cigarette to pretend to be cool or something.

The Hyuuga hummed in thought, “Well, him being my sensei does kind of mean I’m stuck with him for awhile like it or not.” She shrugged, “But it’s better than home. Even if my teammates… aren’t much in the way of teammates.”

“Rough, you should probably get new ones. Or run, that can work too.” she trotted down the way, looking about as uncaring as ever. “Though the village won't like it... Fuck running then, or just mooch of Roku, gods know she needs a friend that isn’t having their nose up her fluffy butt.

Man… I want tails like those… Or a tail at all… yea…”
she became jealous every time she thought about those tails…. So fluffy….

“It’d just be another thing to brush, you probably spend forever with your hair as is.”

“You’d think, but with what mom taught me, there's nothing to it.” she noted as they came to the more sparse parts of town. “Saves a lot of time, plus I can do whatever I want with my hair without it going to hell.”

Yukari looked over at her, “You mean using it like an extra arm?”

“However many I want, hardly takes any energy.” she thought about it before looking down at her belly. “...Need to eat less…” she grumbled. “But yea, bunch of stuff I can do with my hair. Don’t like to fight though, so I’m not about to show off.”

“Interesting… I take it you use chakra?” Yukari could see dark clouds off on the horizon, seemed the talk of a big storm that night wasn’t too off.

“Kinda? Yea, half comes from my mom’s side too…” she sighed fixing a sleeve for a moment. “Haven’t seen her in awhile though, wonder when she's gonna show up, been nearly a year..” she looked minorly worried for her mother, though more or less dropped it. “Why are yea getting all nosey. Thinking about something?”

The Hyuuga hadn’t missed how quickly the topic had been changed and decided it’d be best to leave the subject alone. She didn’t know Atsuko well enough to push such an issue anyway. “I mostly use taijutsu, basically having extra arms could come in handy. Especially with my byakugan.”

"Right, figures a Hyuuga would like extra hands…” she had one of her locks of hair with what looked like a small claw/comb-like accessory scratch the back of her head. She walked towards the older training grounds and gazed around the area. "Empty, good, So… What.. have you done with dad? How much…. Yea know, stuff has he put yea through?’

“I mean literally the first thing he did was bind a Nekomata to me,” Yukari chuckled. That had been an interesting week for the Hyuuga clan. “All in all, I think I’ve only had one mission considered normal since graduating.” She shrugged.

“Sounds about right… dad’s been doing this kinda stuff for ages, figures the moment he tries to play teacher he fucks up something..” she grumbled, which seemed to be her default setting. “Yea know, if you want out he can… Stop the whole thing, with the yokai I mean. Doubt he offered if you're still going along with it but.. Yea know, it’s there.”

“I’m… actually pretty okay with it. Even if Hikari and I didn’t get along for a good while.”

“Good, cause Yokai feed off feelings, if you weren’t sure, they sure as hell ain’t gonna wanna deal with yea.” she responded matter of factly, turning to quickly head to the entrance of the realm their destination lay within.

“Confidence is the most important thing, doesn’t matter what you do, you just gotta be certain of it… It’s why dad is such an idiot, he believes things will go well.” she looked at the torii gate, the gate itself looked as normal as ever, one could almost feel a calming aura radiating from it.

“Well, that… certainly explains a few things.” Yukari huffed, “Would have been nice to actually let us in on that little bit though. Just thought he enjoyed throwing us in the fire… Still think he does, actually.”

“But then you’d force yourself to be confident, almost as bad as being a coward.” and with that, Atsuko headed inside.

One walk through the woods later~!
Atsuko opened the door to the manor, a door guarding fox looking at her with disgruntlement as she had pretty much just pushed her way in. “Hey! Rokujo! Roro! Where are yea?" she shouted into the foyer, walking into the place like she owned the place, the Koma in her easily showing it seems.

Roku didn’t seem to be around at this time it seems… Or perhaps she was somewhere in the manor?

Yukari moved further inside, normally someone would have at least greeted them by now. “Lady Roku?” She paused when a silver fox wove between her legs, giving a small chirp. It almost sounded like a child. “Can you lead us to her?” The words had barely left her mouth when the sleek creature trotted from the room. Giving a slight shrug to Atsuko, she followed after him.

“...It never ceases to melt my heart hearing them squeak and stuff…” Atsuko followed suit, looking bewitched by the white fluffy creature.

The two were lead down a couple hallways, the fox occasionally slipping through the slightly opened door, its body practically only 90% of what it looked like due to its fluff. After roughly three hallways, they finally came to their destination. And the heat hit them like a wall. Before them stood an outright beautiful hot spring, one similar to the one Yukari had visited some time ago, with the autumnal leaves sway in the breeze and the beautiful nature all around, it looked like a veritable paradise on earth… or at least in their realm.

None too far away, Roku lay half in the water, her tails swaying in the slight current and looked all but happy to sleep away her troubles in the crystal clear water… that was suspiciously also very opaque at certain parts that came close to the swimmer’s body?

Almost as if they were being blurred out?

Atsuko looked at the scene and then to Yukari. “So… ready for a dip?”

Yukari wasn’t all too surprised to find the kitsune taking advantage of the more recent addition to her home. “Sure, sounds pretty nice actually.” Another chirp alerted them to a small room off to the side where they could stow their clothes and actually wash before getting into the spring.

Atsuko wasted no time, the activities of leisure and pleasure were among her favorite. Getting changed into a towel and freshened up, her hair seemed to curl itself up into a bun before she set off into the water at a pace that could make records with how fast she changed.

Yukari chuckled at her sudden energy, taking a few moments to get her own long hair pulled back and cleaned up before stepping out into the hot water. Even if getting pulled into another delivery errand, the hotspring was better than the usual pay.

With the two having entered the spring, Rokujo began to stir once more, slowly opening her eyes and regarding the two, looking as if she was in a bit of a haze. “..Hmm? Oh… Atsuko? Yukari? When did…. You two get here?” the kitsune smiled, definitely, definitely drunk.

Could gods get drunk?

Though she appeared quite sluggish, it begs the question of how long she had been in the absolutely divine water. Yukari would remember the feeling of how it simply lets every pain and ache melt away, seems the water she brought back went to good use.

“We’ve only been here a few moments Lady Roku.” Yukari sank into the hot water with a contented sigh. Even stress seemed to ebb away in the currents. “We didn’t mean to wake you.”

“Oh don’t worry, I LOVE when people come~! I wish more people would... “ the chilled out fox woman looked sad for a moment. “So, is there anything you can for? I know you both are so very busy.” she asked slowly becoming more lucid as they spoke.

Atsuko chuckled darkly, “yeah... Busy.” she spoke softly, causing Roku’s ear to twitch. “Nah, Dad sent us on a delivery-”

“OH YES! My package!” the woman shot up, the camera hiding from a different angle to preserve the innocent eyes of the audience.

“It’s with my clothes,” Yukari spoke up, having narrowly avoided getting drenched via one of Roku’s tails. “I could get it for you if you’d like.”

“Oh please do~! I’d love to share. It’s not often that I’m able to get them, I can’t wait~!" she began to sway, slowly touching herself before she slipped. Atsuko didn’t bother to pat away one of the stray tails, more leaning into it to steal the warm softness it provided even when wet.

The Hyuuga nodded, almost reluctant to get out of the water. She was careful not to slip on the stone floors as she went and retrieved the mystery package. “Here it is,” she offered the box to Roku.

Roku took the box and slit open the top of it with the tip of two fingers, sharpened claws now rather noticeable after such a display. She placed the box down and removed the lid, shuffling a bit and pulled out a bottle, that she seemed to cuddle a bit before putting down on the side of the hotspring and then pulled out what seemed to be a rather impressive set of cookies.

“Ohohoh~! Koma you outdo yourself every time~! Never thought you’d be able to get them~!”

“Wait… Those cookies… Aren’t they from that really famous bakery?”

“The very same~!”

“But the bakery in the village of the stone... they're super back ordered… how did he get them?” Atsuko began to question even her own father’s methods.

“Huh,” Yukari would be lying if she said she wasn’t surprised by the package’s contents. “Well, I guess he is a jounin with otherworldly connections…” Chances were high they had someone else’s order that had been pilfered. “Wonder what they’d think if word got out an actual goddess loved their cookies?”

“Oh forget about it~! Time to get drinking and taste testing these beauties~!” she looked around for her glass and began to fiddle with the bottle, leaving the cookies unattended, Atsuko looking at them greedily.

Well, that explained the bottle. Not that it mattered, Roku was happy with her delivery and Yukari was enjoying the relative quiet.

“...Oh… Wait a moment… Humans have laws against people drinking to young correct?" Roku looked at the two, as Atsuko looked to Yukari. “...Well…” she began to say, unsure if she should lie or what…

Yukari shifted, “I mean, technically, yes…” Not that she hadn’t drank on a few special occasions.

“...Well, you ARE in my realm so…” she rose up a finger to her mouth with a wink as a blindfolded male kitsune placed down a plate with a few cups, looking as if he had done this over a million times by now. He took his leave as the god began to be a bad role model.

Atsuko accepted this whole scene, still holding a tail nearby. “So girls, how have you been? Anything new? Exciting? After the attack, I was wondering how things may go… I saw that nasty smack you got Yukari.”

“Yeah, that put me out of commission for a few months.” Yukari had reentered the spring, its warmth welcoming against the chill air of the eternal autumn. “Would have been even longer if I didn’t visit that spring.”

“And oh am I thankful you did, for your sake and mine! You have no idea what this water has done for me… I was an absolute MESS for awhile.” she sighed as a cookie found it’s way into her mouth, causing her to shiver up and down all through her tails. “So goood~!” the goddess looked to be in heaven, as Atsuko snuck another, already on her second.

“Ooh! So tell me~! I know I must sound like some nosey relative buuuuuuuut~!” she almost beamed with the question already. “You two find any cuties out there~?” she beamed, looking almost too cheerful to look at.

Though Atsuko seemed to melt and grumble under the question…

“I’d say the village has its share,” Yukari leaned back in the water with a sigh.

The goddess sighed. “Oh come on, spill the beans! As if I can tell anybody.” she took a shot before pressing on. “Konoha has good ones every generation, you’re young, should be doing this stuff!”

“...Hideki and Mai are pretty cute…”

“And who are they~?” she pried further, nosy as ever.

Yukari rubbed her arm, “Chuunin on a different squad. The same one we backed up during the Mist’s invasion.”

“Is that soooo~! Love sparking on the battlefield hmm~! These things do happen you know! What are they like sweetie? Come on~! It’s just us here.” she flashed a look at Atsuko, who was snoring away already. “... Can’t keep her eyes open for a minute that one…”

“...as long as she doesn’t go underwater I guess?” The Hyuuga shifted, why was she even flustered about the topic? “Hideki’s really nice, one of the only ones that came by to see how I was healing. Mai’s wild and full of energy, fun to be with.”

“Hmm, I see… Guess you aren’t TOO crazy for em then.” she sighed. “I was hoping you’d break open and say something interesting… Oh well. It’s been too long since I’ve seen something like that, that isn’t being prayed feverishly at my shrine however..” the goddess seemed a tad disappointed.

“Though, I did get an odd visitor not too long ago… A woman with your eyes, praying for good health for her child.”

Yukari tensed, “She… didn’t have brown hair, did she?”

“Hmm… I think she did, is there perhaps a problem?”

“Yeah… she’s my mother.”

“Oh! Well… Hrmm…” she suddenly became confused… yes to it being a problem, that her mother came to her? “Well, that does explain why she prayed for her other child of course. I remember her coming to me for your as well way back when, I think I might’ve worked a bit too much magic, you were a rather big baby you know.”

Yukari gave a noncommital hum, now more interested in the water than the Kitsune beside her. “Once he’s born, I won’t be the heir to the clan.”

“...Oh…” she was silent for a bit, digesting the whole scenario. “I see… I’m… So very sorry. I had no idea,” she seemed to deflate, feeling disappointed in herself for bringing up such a hurtful thing. “Do you… wish to be the heir?”

“I do, it’s the only way to fix things.” She gave a bitter chuckle, “The elders have been looking for an excuse to replace me from the beginning.”

“I see… How horrible…” she pursed her lips, quickly taking another shot. “I am sadly a goddess of life… So this…. I cannot truly help with… The flourishing of life, the bounty of nature. That’s my domain. What the life does, however…” she sighed. “How very vexing… I wish I could send out a fox to nip all their butts!”

“Heh, wouldn’t that be a sight... “ Yukari lightly picked up one of the sake cups, she’d had it before on a few special occasions with the clan. “I don’t know what to do about it. Mai thinks I should become strong enough they’d be too afraid to try and put the curse seal on me.”

“That could work, though… They might try to overpower you in numbers…” she thought about it, she had seen this before… Ascension wars… “Would you be able to fight against family? Even knowing they mean you such ill?”

“Family or not, members of the branch house are practically slaves to them. I’ll bring down a few elders if that’s what it takes.”

“I see… Could it be possible to… leave? I know it won't solve everything, but … I cannot bear the thought of you being hurt. There has to be another way…” she looked at Yukari sadly, her ears folded back and eyes lined with tears. “Oh goodness... Look what I’ve done, I’ve ruined our get together!”

“What good would leaving do? I’d just be hunted to ‘protect clan secrets’. And the branch house…” She tightened her grip on the glass, her hand trembling slightly. Finally, she let out a long breath, closing her eyes. “Don’t worry about it, Lady Roku. It’s not like you could have known.”

“Right… Well, I suppose the best way would be the get you stronger than before! Stronger… stronger… How to make you stronger…” Roku stood up, folding her arms before putting it to thought. “I could…. Umm… Oh dear, I’m not sure how to fight… Umm… perhaps… How… how do the Hyuuga fight? Let's start there!”

Yukari took a small sip from her glass noting how sweet the sake was. Much better than the dry stuff her family preferred. “We mainly use a style called Gentle Fist, attacking the chakra network directly.”

“Okay! Umm…” she paused for a moment. “So… yes… the chakra... network… yes. Of course..” she tried her hardest to pretend to know exactly what that was... failing horribly.

The Hyuuga sighed, “Like blood vessels, but it carries chakra around the body instead. It’s woven pretty closely with major organs, so attacking the network will damage them too.”

“Right! So like blood but chakra! So… Umm… it... stops the chakra from flowing. And like blood it… is bad for the body.” she followed the small lesson, thinking it through. “Then… Maybe… Stopping the stopping of the flow?

Maybe supercharge chakra! Or... would it work like having too much blood? I’ve seen that happen. Not pretty…”

“I mean, it is possible to increase the flow of chakra in someone’s body. But it usually does more harm than good in the long run.”

“Hmm. So... a temporary WHOOSH of chakra! Right? It's an energy in life… Haven’t done anything like that before so… Hmm… How do I do that?” the woman became deep in thought. “Hmmm… maybe a... thing to do it? Like a necklace! Or.. headband?” the kitsune continued her musing.

“I think…. I have an idea!!”

Yukari finally looked over at the goddess, “Oh? And what’s that?”

“A thing to force your stuff to go forward when hit by the gentle fisting!” she paused and turned bright red. “I mean chakra! Gentle fist! Oh dear… Umm… I… need time to make it! It’ll be... Umm... I’ll send it to you! And… oh no... I need to get out of this bath…” she sighed before stepping out of the spring, two attendants getting a towel for her.

The Hyuuga choked on her drink, sputtering for a moment in an attempt to breathe again. “I- um… alright?”

Atsuko breached the water, taking in a large breath, it appears she had been under the water for some time while they were talking, her whole body looking red as can be. “What? What happened?” Her face slightly purple and recovering.

“You fell asleep again,” Yukari sounded annoyed as she got out of the spring to dry off as well. “I guess we should leave you to your work then.”

“Fine fine… leave me to die why don’tchyea…” Atsuko grumbled as she struggled her way out of the pool, looking about was shaking as can be… Seemed the hot water has loosened her body up far too much.

“It’s a healing spring, I’m not sure you can die in it.” Yukari caught her as she climbed out of the spring. “Though… you didn’t swallow much water, did you?”

“I.. I think I did, why?” the young woman asked looking her with a raised eyebrow, her face clear and for once not looking like she stayed up for a month straight.

“...Maybe you should stay the night before trying to walk home.”

Mai Sanada and Yukari Hyuuga
The Bamboo Forest

Mai stood outside the Hyuga compound and cracked her neck. Going inside would be a pain. Last time was a pain. Entertaining? Yes. Did she want to do it again? Not especially. Maybe on a day that she wanted to be a pain to them. Looking at the ground, she found a pebble.

“Hmm… Yukari’s room is about… there!”

A light tap would hit Yukari’s room’s wall. Then another. Then Mai would search around the area for a sliiiightly larger rock.

The last rock found itself knocked from the air. “Care to explain yourself?” A pair of Hyuuga glowered down at her from where they appeared on the wall.

Mai shrugged. “Not really.”

“Then leave. Now.”

Mai tapped her chin. Well, if she was going to cause trouble, might as well have fun with it.

Sorry Yukari.

“Ya know, always wondered. Your clan’s always bragging about being the best in the Leaf. Is it faster than a Sanada?”

Mai faded to black, reappearing on the other side of the wall. Aaaand she was off. Rather than simply go to Yukari’s room, Mai’s new goal was to make it to the other side of the Hyuga’s courtyard before the guards did.

Setting her brush down, Yukari scowled at the scroll in front of her. This was taking a lot longer than she thought it would. Granted, the heiress also hadn’t expected to be on attempt number three at this point. Sumi-e was normally easy for her, making this all the more frustrating.

The sounds of shouting broke her train of thought. Yukari peered outside with her Byakugan, snorting as she saw Mai racing around. Should probably go help before anyone else gets involved…

Mai had never seen so many Hyuuga involved in a dogpile before. She slightly regretted not removing Kabutowari first. Granted, watching a few of them get out of breath catching her had been fun. She weakly waved at Yukari from the bottom of the pile. Funny, she couldn’t feel her anything.

Yukari raised an eyebrow at the currently squished Chuunin. “Didn’t you learn the last time you tried to start something with us, Sanada?” She hated the act but knew there were bound to be others watching at this point.

“That it takes 1...2…3… 7 Hyuuga to stop me and that it’s an embarrassment to your clan that one alone is unable to stop a chunnin wearing heavy weights? Pretty good lesson I’d say. At this rate, we’re going to take your title of best taijutsu users in the Leaf you know. So slow!”

Mai grinned under the pile of men that were getting as embarrassed as they were angry. Playing heiress could be fun. Besides, how many of the Hyuuga knew about how succession in the Sanada worked?

“Well, I’ve had my fun, so soon as these dogs get off me, I’ll be on my way.”

Feeling them decidedly not getting off of her, Mai sighed, and struggled to get one knee raised, it was all she needed. In the end, she did feel them relent, and Mai was gone in a flash, though she could feel a few Vacuum Palms halfheartedly fired after her. Well, Yukari got the message, Mai expected to see her in a bit. Mai waited a fair bit away in front of Uncle Koko’s store. She had a fun surprise planned today.

It wasn’t long before Yukari caught up, giving a slight wave. The tips of her fingers were black from ink. “Have fun raising a little hell?”

Mai yawned. “Still quicker than the waiting room. We really need to find a way for me to message you or something. Nice acting like a stiff by the way! That was fun to watch. Ow… My side still hurts from that. Ugh.”

“We really do,” Yukari sighed, “Only a matter of time before they actually strike to maim or kill…”

“Anyways, I promised you a spar I wouldn’t hold back any in. So…. I found a place. I remembered there’s a Sanada plot of land my Dad used to train me in at all the time. It’s a little… unique though. I mean, it’s supposed to be a Sanada thing, but you're with me, so, screw it. Not as super secret as our waterf-... I mean, let’s go!”

Yukari snorted, following her. “Can’t say we have anything as cool as a waterfall. Or… cool in general… pretty stuffy at home.”

“Yeah… I don’t like to hang out too much with my clan. Granted, not as crappy as yours. They’re just crazy in different ways. Strength is everything. The Clan head is chosen from the strongest 4, so still a lot of politicking, but getting to that strongest 4 is the dream of everyone, so we have tons of ways to do it. And Imma clobber them all!”

“At least everyone actually has a shot at it.”

Mai led Yukari up the side of the mountain with the Hokage monument, and to a forest to the side. The forest started to get thicker and thicker, changing from trees to bamboo shoots.

“Once got lost in here for a week! Glad ya got Byakugan. Don’t think I could even take Aiko here. Hideki would be worse. This entire place is the training field, but… well, we only use the top. Where are those rock pillars?”

“Hideki can at least swim underground, he’d have a better shot.”

“Pfft, not with these roots.”

Yukari shuffled through a patch of bamboo, “His jutsu limited on how far down it can go? I… can’t say I know much on elemental jutsu.”

Mai shrugged.

Eventually, Mai found her way to a rock pillar that was sixty feet tall piled out of the ground. Using the Tree Climbing technique, she started to climb up it, and motioned for Yukari to follow, though she didn’t know if Yukari could see her or not with the thick brush. Probably?

Climbing to the top revealed another level of the area. Rock Pillars dotted it, but everything was a sea of bamboo up at the top. And oddly, it was cut all the same size. Everything was sixty feet tall, and cut off. Mai cracked her neck, then body flickered among the bamboo shoots. Every time she landed on one, it started to bend, forcing her to another one, making sure Mai literally couldn’t stand in one place.

“It’s a long way down! Been doing this since I was 8. Figured this would make a great training area.”

Mai finally landed atop another rock pillar.

“So the rules out here. The rock pillars are safe zones, no attacking there. As soon as both of us are on the bamboo, we start the spar. You good with that?”

Mai assumed her normal stance, ready to start.

“Well, this should be interesting,” Yukari shifted into a slight stance of her own. “Let’s see what happens.” She flickered out onto the bamboo field.

Mai smiled, and grabbed the cloth holding Kabutowari to her back, and slid it off her shoulder, and let it drop. She then faded to black, her speed increased significantly. A line of bamboo leading up to Yukari started to sway, with Mai appearing in front of her and punching with a straight hook at her stomach.

Watching the bamboo shift and sway under Mai’s weight, Yukari shifted to circle around. Even her own light steps made it difficult to pause for even a second. As Mai appeared, she swung an arm down to redirect the punch away from her body.

Mai smiled as her weight was thrown downward, and her with it. In any equal terrain, it would mean falling over. Here?

Mai’s hand grabbed the top of one of the bamboo shoots past Yukari in a handstand, and flailed her legs in a kick aimed at Yukari’s head. Mai then pushed off the shoot, and disengaged, dashing into the distance, trying to build up speed before she could strike again.

Yuuki bent back, taking advantage of her flexibility to easily dip under the kick. It was a simple motion, one she’d done many times before. The bamboo, however, didn’t agree with her shifting weight. “Shit!” Her usual grace seemed nonexistent as the Hyuuga fell from her perch.

Mai made her way back to a rock pillar, taking advantage of the moment to catch her breath. Even someone like her who trained out here all the time had trouble doing it for long. The consistent movement was really good training though.

Panting, she waited for Yukari.

“See, this place is great training for speed. You stop moving that happens! I kinda want to see Takara-sensei fall on her ass up here. Me and Kanbei used to...”

Mai went quiet.

It took a moment to recover from the fall, but Yukari eventually made her way back to the top of a stone pillar. “You alright?” She asked, studying Mai’s suddenly distant expression.

“Yeah… Just bad memories. Remember how I left the village a few weeks ago…? I kinda got into a duel with the heir’s son, Kanbei, over something stupid. Not a fight, a duel. I won. Somehow that’s worse than losing… I’m not sure if he’ll be a ninja again. No one’s talking about it, but I can tell I’m in big trouble.”

Mai fell backwards, resting on the pillar.

“Ugh, I want to think of everyone as a stepping stone. Just get stronger than them, or them get stronger than you. Always tell myself that. But yeah…”

“Was it really a duel if you’re the one in trouble? Both sides have to set and agree to rules and the risks that come with them.”

“I guess less of a duel, and more of he tried mugging me, and I broke his hip after a long fight. But duel sounds more honorable. Still, maybe I should have held back more… I warned him, but he was so strong the only way I COULD win was a decisive blow. Ugh… life’s way too complicated. I’m kinda scared to go full out again, I don’t really WANT to hurt anyone. At least not seriously. A broken tooth or two is nothing, but… Still, as a future clan head, I have to be a kunoichi of my word. I told you I wasn’t going to hold back, so I guess I gotta try.”

Mai stood up, and went back into her normal stance, waiting for Yukari to be ready again. She was going to use shadow strike again, aiming for Yukari’s stomach.

Yukari hummed in thought, shifting into a low stance with her arms spread. Taking a slow breath she lunged, seeming to dance along the top of the bamboo instead of racing across like before.

Mai was impressed by Yukari’s sudden shift.

She learns quick! I couldn’t even move across this until I was 11. I was proud when I could make it across 3 of these.

Mai smiled at the lunge, and accepted it, trying to trade blows with Yukari. A punch for a palm.

Yukari’s hand shot towards Mai’s wrist, chakra gathering in the tips of two fingers. Her free hand moved for a palm strike to the kunoichi’s chest.

Mai went flying back, gritting her teeth as she did. She managed to find footing, dancing backwards across the shoots. Yukari followed suit, regaining her footing as she stumbled back. She’d managed to stop from taking the full punch, but even the graze was a hard hit.

Instead of slowing down, Mai kept up with the direction, and slowly changed it, going for a figure eight. As she went she built up more and more speed among the tops. Coming to Yukari again, Mai left in the air, and fell with a flying Axkick at the Hyuuga.

Yukari waited for her, only moving enough to keep from falling again. She didn’t have to turn her head to follow Mai. As the Sanada came crashing down, she snapped her palm up.

Eight Trigrams: Vacuum Palm

Mai turned rapidly in the air, turning her kick into a roundhouse kick against the blast of air.

Leaf Whirlwind!

Kicking it with her full momentum, however, stopped Mai, causing her to lose one of her best advantages. Dropped downwards, Mai cartwheeled across the branches to gain momentum again. Yukari was forcing her to move much more than Yukari was. That was bad for stamina. Mai grasped her stomach slightly from the earlier blow, then let go, she had something to focus on. Her hand felt numb, but Mai did have some unusual experience in that. Nothing new. As Mai was traveling, she started to note how fast she was going, and how exciting this battle was turning. She needed more. She needed to go faster. Lunging at Yukari again, Mai seemed different. Her face had turned to a crazed grin, and she was panting far more than just the exercise. Mai led with a cross strike with her now numb right wrist, using it more bludgeoning than as a punch. She watched Yukari for every.slow.motion. The entire world was suddenly slow. Way too slow. Even Mai was slow.

A frown painted Yukari’s features as Mai’s expression change. But the shift in speed was of greater importance right at that moment. There was little time to react, she moved her leg in a hooking kick at Mai’s leading knee, chakra building in her heel and then back of her own leg. The cross strike to the jaw, however, left the Hyuuga seeing stars and crashing back into the ground once more.

As Mai landed the blow, she was also tripped off balance, sent flying off the bamboo tops along with Yukari. Mai, however, wasn’t in the right frame of mind. She jumped between the bamboo shoots, still aiming at Yukari. She jumped off at the side of Yukari, aiming at her kidney from the side with a straight shot.

Yukari hooked an arm and leg around one of the bamboo shoots to slow her fall. Seeing Mai bounding towards her back she spun and launched another vacuum palm.

Mai angrily punched the vacuum palm, roaring as she did. Her punch wasn’t as built up as Yukari being in midair, so the impact pushed her back. She inched back in the air. Why was gravity so slow?

Mai lept from bamboo pole to bamboo pole, slowly making her way towards Yukari, for a mid-air confrontation. One thing Mai did not note, however, was her shirt slowly turning red.

Yukari’s frown deepened as she saw Mai bleeding. With both legs hooked around the bamboo pole to keep herself stationary, she crossed her arms in front of her in an x. “Stop!”

Mai grabbed a bamboo shoot, twirling down it to stop her momentum. Her breathing was heavy, and her eyes were focused. It took her a second to stop. The movement, slow as it was, felt good. Staying still was agonizing. She was still shaking, her body still tensed to move. Her teeth shook.

“W-why are w-we stopping?”

Yukari gestured to Mai’s shirt. “You’re bleeding pretty badly.”

Mai looked down, and seemed surprised. She groaned. Her breathing returning to normal as she made it to the ground.

“Great… This is going to fun to explain. Ugh. Oh, it wasn’t you by the way! Sorry. Funny, I don’t feel anything.”

Mai poked it inquisitively. It took her second.

“Oh, ow, okay, now I feel it. Ow, ow, ow.” She laid against a shoot. “Sorry about that Yukari. Damnit, wanted to give you my all too. You wanna look feel free. It was a hell of a week when I was out.”

Landing by her, Yukari dug through her pouch, “go ahead and show me.” She retrieved a small jar and some bandages.

“Uh, well… it's my stomach... “ Seeing the bandages, Mai got a little embarrassed. Wasn’t going to be just a byakugan check, was it? “Uh, give me a second to get my armor off.” Acting quick, Mai quickly changed to get the chainmail underneath off, then lifted up the shirt over her stomach, and showed the wound to Yukari. “I might have also been slightly impaled in my vacation. Swords and me aren’t on the best terms right now… Got punched and electrocuted, impaled… it wasn’t a good week. But hey, I got a nice set of armor from it and a new friend!”

Yukari shook her head, “you sure this isn’t why your family’s angry with you and not beating the shit out of Kanbei?” She opened the jar and held it out to Mai, “here, this will help with the pain and bleeding.”

Mai hummed as she put it on. “Well, I didn’t go home til I’d partly healed. They don’t know about this. Neither does Takara-sensei or the rest of the village. It’ll heal, and I swear, I’m actually not training and taking it pretty easy. Just don’t tell anyone, I’ll be fine.”

Letting out a slow sigh, Yukari reached back and took off her necklace, holding it out to Mai. “Here, put this on for a moment.”

“Sure?” Mai put it on, looking inquisitively at it. “What is it?”

“A gift from the guardian spirit of the forest,” Yukari reached out and lightly tapped the gem, releasing a surge of chakra into Mai’s system. “She created it to counter the Gentle Fist, but it has some other uses.”

“Huh.”

Mai felt the surge in vitality along with chakra. Her wound didn’t magically heal, but it was feeling better. She could also feel her wrist again.

“Thanks. Sorry… I’ll give you a real fight when I can.”

The Jounin Summoned
Nobushige grumbled as he looked up at the sky, and saw the crow. He looked down at his squad training diligently, shrugged, and disappeared silently.

“I’m sure they’ll figure it out. Been a while since the old git’s summoned the Jonin. Wonder if it’s about those documents Yuuki found? Heh, I get their early enough, I can see how much I can make Tsubaki squirm in front of the old man. Then again, I’m going to have to deal with the other freaks that have made it to Jonin. I don’t understand them. There’s the psychotic smiler, that man who wanders into other worlds whenever he gets milk, and the world record holder for largest stick up her ass.”

Sighing, he hurried up towards the meeting chamber, and for once kept his mouth shut as he waited for whatever the meeting was for. He wondered if his squad had figured out he’d left by now?

Takara dipped under an incoming kick from Mai, lightly tapping her stationary leg, a pulse of Yin chakra forcing the chuunin’s muscles to contract. Hearing a familiar bird call, the Jounin looked up and frowned slightly. “Looks like we’ll have to finish later,” she released the genjutsu’s hold before vanishing.

Finally arriving, she slipped off her shoes and stepped inside the meeting room. It was large, offering enough space to seat the village’s jounin comfortably. Takara only offered a slight glance to the others that had already arrived before sitting on one of the many cushions scattered about.

“Caw caw”

“You don’t say Mr.Crow. A meeting? In the room meant for it? I dare say that's something that doesn’t happen every day.”

“Caw CAW caw!”

“Now there's no need to rude, I understand what you mean.”

“CAW CAW CAW!”

“Yes yes fine I’ll be there jeez… Out of all of the messengers, I get the GROUCHY one.” The man dismissed the crow that had been perched upon his shoulder. Koma, the very busy jounin had been out on a small job he couldn’t quite pawn off on the kids moments prior, the crow having caught him as he had made his way back.

“Maybe this time this will be a fun meeting, maybe we’ll get a pat on the back for a job well done.” He smiled a bit more as he continued his trotting along, until he stopped with a small gasp. “Wait! Maybe Gou is organizing a surprise birthday party for me!? Oh that old charmer, I always knew he’d never forget the birthday of his best friend.” And with that, he sped off in a blur towards his destination…

However on his arrival… He was quite disappointed to see the others there, with no presents or balloons… Resigned to being forgotten, he took a seat and silently sulked… as much as he could.

Mugen giggled, as he watched some poor man rub his eyes, and block out the sun with his hands. Mugen’s fun was interrupted by the caw of a crow. With a sigh, he slid his blade back into his sleeve, allowing the genjutsu on the man to be released. He stood up from his seated position on the edge of the roof and disappeared without a trace.

When Mugen reappeared, he was outside the meeting room. He strolled in nonchalantly, plopping himself down on one of the cushions. He gazed at each of the jounin in the room one by one. He gave Koma an extra long stare before moving on. His gaze then focused on the Crystal Release master, Takara Himura.

“Oh well if it isn’t my fourth favorite jounin! I do hope you're doing well, Miss Himura. You’ll have to let me test my steel against your crystals again sometime! I’m quite confident I’ll be able to break through this time around…”

“You know what Genin and Jonin have in common? The thickness of their jugular. Might want to try to brag a little less.”

Koma snickered, “What kind of kids are you teaching? Monsters if they have adult sized necks.”

It wasn’t long after that the Hokage arrived, taking a seat near the front of the room. Tired eyes looked over the room from behind a pair of glasses. “I suppose it’s best to just get to the point today.” Gou glanced at a few papers in his hand, “As you know, we’ve spent much of the past year searching for information on the group that calls themselves Yoake.”

Nobushige brushed his hand over his bandages. Yoake, he didn’t know that as well as he’d like. But one member of it, Daisuke, Nobushige was painfully familiar with.

“Yeah, Imma guess we’re going to do something about them soon? They have destroyed two villages. Did that packet on Daisuke my student turned in do anything to help? I hear from rumor they are abducting everyone with kekkei genkai they can find. You all might want to keep an eye on your squad members with Kekkei Genkai. If Lord Hokage needs more information, I’d be more than happy to go back into the field for a bit.”

“And you will be, there are a couple potential hideouts that will need looked into. According to the information you and Yuuki recovered one of Daisuke’s primary goals is recreating the rinnegan. The doujutsu held by the Sage of Six Paths.”

“Rinnegan,” Takara frowned slightly, “I thought that was just a legend.” As Koma spat out his drink, where he got it nobody really knows.

Mugen’s eyebrows rose. He had read a bit about the mythical rinnegan. Whoever had it was absurdly powerful. But what kind of power was it? Mugen wanted to know. But he remained silent, smiling at Nobushige.

“Well, that seems like cause enough for addressing the issue. If there's one thing that we don’t need, is some wackjob quack deciding he wants to be a god.” The man looked to his old friend, wondering just what the plan was.

He was certainly capable enough for whatever it was, but they should probably nip this in the bud early.

“There’s also the matter of the self-proclaimed reincarnation of the sage. Kurou Akechi, one of the last genin to come out of the Hidden Whirlpool. He currently has six bijuu at his command and has proven capable of wielding their chakra and jutsu himself.” Gou let out a slow sigh, “it’s suspected that Kurou’s the reason for the research into the rinnegan.”

“And from what the reports say, the other two big people we have to look out for are Ko Amatsu and Daisuke Uzumaki. Ko is the leader of the Akai Kyoudai, and apparently, they just keep growing. About the size of a small village. Not too many tough people in it, but they are the military force behind the Yoake… which is… sad. Daisuke was also from the Hidden Whirlpool much like Kurou, and…”

Nobushige unwrapped his bandages in front of the other Jonin to show off, before rewrapping it.

“Well, let’s just say I have business with him. From what Yuuki saw, man has quite the collection of fetishes. I’d say I mean experiments, but, eh. So yeah, what we’ve been standing at for a year. Is there any new information? Seems like the group went quiet lately. That worries me.”

Gou shook his head, “I don’t like this silence either. The most activity that we’ve seen has mostly been carried out by the Akai Kyoudai, but none of it appears to be any different from their time before coming to work for Yoake. The three remaining Jinchuuriki have been left undisturbed. The records that you recovered allude to the locations of multiple bases, which have finally been tracked down. ANBU will be dispatched to look into them.”

At that moment, two ragged jounin scrambled into the meeting room. One was bleeding profusely, and the other was holding his face. Underneath his hand, chain marks could be seen.

“Lord Hokage, sorry to interrupt your meeting. Our group squad was attacked at the Water and Fire Country border by some group. Squad leader Megumi didn’t make it. They didn’t hurt any of the genin, but they abducted several of them. From my squad, Hiraku. Hyuuga. Hiraku Hyuuga.”

“And from my squad, they took your nephew, Isamu, and Haruko from the Uesugi clan. And from… Megumi’s squad they took Junko from the Miho clan. I think they’re taking ransoms, those are all from major clans, sir.”

Nobushige stopped slouching and gripped his fists. Standing up full height revealed he was actually decently tall, not that anyone had really ever seen it.

“You idiots, some group doesn’t leave chain marks like that. That’s the mark of Daisuke, who we were just having a meeting about. He doesn’t care about ransoms. Hyuuga, Uchiha, Miho, and Uesugi clans are all Kekkei Genkai users. Megumi didn’t have one, so they just killed her. Koma, can you stop these men from bleeding all over the Hokage’s floor? They can at least stand there quietly while we finish up.”

“You don’t need to tell me when to do my job, better men have tried.” Koma, the lackadaisical man, mused as he walked over to to the jounin to deal with the wound accordingly. The news was bad, they needed to get those kids back as soon as they can…

Though not much to be done until they figure out where they were.

“Ugh, well, so much for his group being quiet. We’d better watch out for those of our squads who have Kekkei Genkai. Who has them in their squads? I have Yuuki Uchiha and Katsumi Nonoba.”

“I have Aiko Uchiha,” Takara shook her head, “who not only has the sharingan, but the Yuki clan’s ice release.”

“I have Yukari Hyuuga, though knowing the Hyuuga they’d rather her disappear regardless… Though in this manner I dare say they may make an exemption to that wish.” Koma didn’t quite like the Hyuuga it seems.

Mugen thought for a moment, wondering if the mushroom boy’s clan was major enough to be in much danger. It was an incredibly rare style of ninjutsu, so it would be a bad steal to snatch him up. “Ah, so young Kuren is in danger too I see. Shall we inform our special students that they may be a target?”

“It would be best to keep them informed. Their teammates as well.” Gou sighed, “You’re dismissed. Takuya, Keizo, go get those wounds seen to. Nobushige, stay here, you have a mission.”

Koma and Yukari Hyuuga
Meeting With Elders

The room was sparsely decorated, the only real decoration being the painted scroll and flower arrangement sitting in the Tokonoma. The floor was lined with fine tatami mats, simple cushions set out for those gathered. Despite the room’s large size, the whole space felt stifling.

It took everything for Yukari not to fidget. Having to meet with her father was bad enough, for her grandfather and current head of the Hyuuga clan to be there only made it that much worse. Koma sitting beside her did little in helping matters.

The fact there was the faint scent of sake on him?

Gods help her...

“Now then,” Gennosuke, the eldest Hyuuga was the first to speak. “We’d like your thoughts on Yukari’s progress since coming under your tutelage.”

The atmosphere was oppressive, choking even, to a lesser man it would’ve turned them into a mewling kitten trying their best to placate the people before them. But before them, Koma sat smiling as always, almost beaming even, you would dare say he was almost ready to burst out laughing.

“Oh really? Well, I gotta say she's been quite the easy one to train. Picks up things like you wouldn’t believe.” Like dry cleaning or deliveries. “And quite good at making friends might I add, a key thing for making and keeping allies you know.” even if the allies happen to be extremely lonely goddesses. “Oh and don’t get me started on her problem solving. Quite the trooper~!

And dare I say, she’s quite powerful already, a natural star pupil. Should I say she got it from her father or mother I wonder….”
He gushed like an overly proud parent, pausing at the last bit, absolutely oozing cheekiness.

“But I dare say, Gennosuke, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen that scowl. Not since the last pidgeon prank had I gotten those eyes on me.” he chuckled, his eyes gleaming deviously.

Yukari shifted slightly, glancing at Koma from the corner of her eye. She flinched slightly at the sharp look she received from her father, moving her gaze back in front of her.

“I’ll admit, you’re still far from our first choice in Jounin mentors,” Gennosuke said with a narrowed gaze.

“Particularly given your encouragement for these rather… unbecoming techniques,” Yukari’s father, Kenshin added.

“She grows to her own will, she will become that which she is meant to be. No gardener’s hand can force an orchid to become a lily.” Koma responded quickly in a sing song tone. “...Hmmm..?” He rose an eyebrow and turned his head to look at the wall past Gennosuke with a curious expression.

“I hear the Hyuuga are expecting another child on the way. I wonder what flower they will grow into…”

Gennosuke quietly cleared his throat, “While coming into their own as a shinobi has its importance, there are still traditions that must be upheld.”

“Nobody knows traditions more than I, the more traditions one knows, the more one should understand that they must be broken and amended. Enemies grow and change, when stuck in one’s ways, you are left behind.

But do not worry… She knows her steps as a Hyuuga… Extracurricular activities are there to encourage the growth and expansion of her prowess…. To keep a brilliant mind locked behind the prison walls of your specialty….

I dare say, that’d be as much of a sin as the gardener mistaking her for a weed… Don’t you think?”
his grin couldn’t be any wider now, one might dare say it’s almost foxish in how he sowed words with hidden meaning…

He sat tall and with his hands folded on his lap, the staff laying nearby kept with him, it's lantern sat up and shining its soft flameless light. He was a beacon of confidence as if knowing they couldn’t hurt him no matter what he said… An infuriating image to view, for ones so used to being respected, or more or less feared, by the village.

Kenshin’s gaze narrowed dangerously at the Jounin, “the Hyuuga’s strength is not based on folly.”

“Perhaps it’s best Yukari’s removed from your instruction,” Gennosuke’s expression was unreadable, a coldness lingering on his voice. “Her taijutsu has fallen far under what’s acceptable for one in her position.”

“Oh? Fallen behind has she? Why I do believe her recent training with the Sanada girl says differently.” the man chuckled. “I know that girl, Mai, she’s one of the best Taijutsu users of this generation. As expected of the Sanada in truth. From what I’ve heard… Yukari has won each time.

And Mai isn’t the type of person to leave that standing naturally. She has a will of iron, and will likely keep coming back to chall-*hic*-enge her. Why in her mission dealing with that certain crime syndicate she was able to bypass a rather tricky customer.. My sources say he was a Kyoudai agent of some renown.

Usage of her abilities alongside gentle fist saved her life, alongside defeating her opponent rather handily.”
he noted the info that was given by Hikari not a few minutes prior while he was scrounging for ammunition to fire back should this shit come up.

“She has yet to fail a mission, a feat for a chuunin that is beyond comp- *hic*-are. She held her own against a swordsman of the Mist and survived to tell the tale... Along with gaining valuable allies…

As for me being her sensei… Fine, she is well enough on her own since she became a chuunin. Her autonomy has been something I encouraged since they came under my wing. Chuunin don’t need sensei-*hic* -anyways, hell in times like these, with the war, they themselves can be acting sensei.

But if she comes to me for guidance, I shall give it, as I am her superior and an experienced- *hic* -ninja.

It is our duty to aid and guide, but the moment we force our will upon them… they are no longer their own. Just a cardboard cut out of your will, they are what you wish, but when a stiff breeze blows…”
he made a flicking motion with his fingers.

“Such skill should be expected of a Hyuuga. Yet you discount her… less desirable hobbies. Her being friends with a Sanada is a poor decision as well. Surely you’ve heard of those berserkers turning on their own. It wasn’t as though she truly fought the Mist Swordsman either, and those trips she’s had she’s managed to escape even the best user of the Byakugan doing who knows what. What’s worse was recently, we, regrettably had a member go missing. Someone Yukari was on unusually friendly terms with. And to top it off, her ‘gardener’ as you put it shows up drunk unable to prune even a simple rosebush, let alone the carnation that is a Hyuuga. When I say I want her progress, that is precisely what I mean. The future of the clan is currently at stake with this meeting, what has she proved in leadership worth having?”

“Survive an encounter with a man who could kill with a quick flick of his wrist is notable enough, dare say she wasn’t the most experienced young woman at the time either. Oh, but you’d chalk that up to “expected of a Hyuuga” eh? And what else is expected of a Hyuuga? Keeping tabs on their own? Acting as if the world is not good enough?

Perhaps that child ran from you, perhaps she was stolen away. But yet… You don’t seem too perturbed by it.

Even this gardener knows that flowers don’t simply disappear. Nor does nature bend to the will of man.

For sight so very clear and precise… You most certainly are blindest of the clans. Why, so blind are you, you can barely see the folly that is your own perception.”

“Feh, one minute he talks of a gardener, then the next tells me nature bends to no one. I’ll tell you what’s expected of a Hyuuga! To have thick blood, and a strong byakugan! To lead the clan with absolute strength! To not back down! To act like the fate of everyone in it rests on their achievements at all time! To be proper and an example of etiquette! If I’m to go down to my grave, I don’t want to cry because of what will happen to the clan after me. The Hyuuga are respected by all, even those who would mock its ways won’t dare to mock its strength.”

Gennosuke shook his head, “What will become of that... That, that is what I have to stay up worrying about. If you have nothing further to report, I believe our business is done. We sent her to a jounin hoping she would further her skills as a Hyuuga, not to play with silly children’s stories and dabble in folktale.”

“You act as if you weren’t planning the replacement already. But Gennosuke, you will be in tears nonetheless, for when you shed that mortal coil you will see the life you had lived, see each moment. And you will find, due to those who laid the shackles upon you, claiming them to be your birthright… Well...

You’ll find you hadn’t lived at all.”

The man stood up and cracked his neck. “Those silly children's stories are worth more salt than your empty words, they teach more too might I say. Now if you all will excuse me, I have to go take a piss.” the man shuffled over the tatami floor and tapped the doorway thrice with his staff, opening it up and disappearing beyond the way.

Quite literally.

Yukari let out a shaky breath. That went about as poorly as she expected, perhaps even worse. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, Grandfather, Father.”

“You’ll stay where you are,” Kenshin snapped.

“Now, Yukari… we might have had… heated words with your sensei, but I assure you not all is lost. If we could just get you to act a little more like an heir, and improve your gentle fist, the Hyuga clan will be just fine. I just want to be able to look forward to the day I pass on. Why don’t you try training with the clan a little more? Or are you finding your squadmates more reliable?”

Gennosuke sat still as a willow where he was, the only emotion he showed was slight disappointment.

“My Gentle Fist has improved considerably, grandfather. While my squadmates may be far from exceptional, Mai Sanada has proven a highly capable and challenging sparring partner.”

“Dear granddaughter, please just pick up a book, any history book. It is for your safety. And I meant your squadmates. If you can’t spar them, spar with your father. Or the rest of the Hyuga. Your gentle fist might be acceptable, but for the clan head? Imagine yourself as a regular Hyuga, would you look up to a Head whose specialty is passable at best? I need your Gentle Fist to be respectable. That is all I have to say. Improve it further so that I CAN call you heir. This is your responsibility. Now, I believe you are dismissed. I have words with your father as well.”

Mai's Prison and Hideki's Harem
Mai wandered across the training fields around Takara-sensei’s house. She stalked the forest with a large bag and a bundle of rope. It was a large gamble. If she messed up, Takara-sensei. If she was successful….

“Target acquired. ”

Hideki was, naturally, minding his own business, which was installing blinds on the large window of his room when Mai busted in

“ Sanada Secret Style: Abduction jutsu!”

A rope flew around Hideki, and a bag would find itself around him as Mai entered through the open window below. What Mai lacked in stealth she made up for in speed!

A quiet clank would be heard as the blinds fell back to the floor, and Mai was off again into the trees carrying Hideki behind her. Training with Kabutowari had trained her for this exact scenerio with a large, heavy, moving object on her back.

“Huh. I didn’t think that it’d go so smoothly. I don’t know what to do now, I never really thought I’d make it this far.”

She made her ways a bit more into the treeline before depositing her captured prize atop a tree limb, letting Hideki out.

“ ‘sup, I’m abducting you. This isn’t a clone, right? Or Takara’s cat?”

The ropes tore with a shred of the feline claws popping out of the young man’s hand, he damn well near hissed had he not been focused on getting up on the tree branch proper. “What the fuck Mai!?” was the first thing he stuttered out, pulling back off his hood, it was lucky enough it came on in the struggle.

“Takara doesn’t even have a- Seriously what the fuck are you doing? You could’ve just said for me to meet you or something!” he stood up, still shaky from the wild ride that got him there.

Mai scratched her head like she was actually confused.

“Aren’t you a ninja? I thought it’d be funny. Didn’t think I’d actually get you in the bag. Why I stopped in the first place. Anyways, I’m collecting on a misunderstanding you owe me! White day was terrible! Breaking a pure maiden’s heart! And five others from what I hear. What are we, a harem?”

Mai had a mischievous smile on her face as she ‘accused’ Hideki, meaning she was totally lying to get what she wanted.

“Well, I’m going somewhere scary, and I need a chivalrous knight to protect me. Couldn’t find one, so decided to abduct the lecherous one instead. I mean, ya got a sword and shield, right? So come on, help me go somewhere scary.”

“Mai that was an honest mistake and you know it. The fact I may had left the village for a whole month afterwards while shit hit the fan because of it means and proves nothing to support your theory.” he pointed a finger her way again and again with each statement.

“And i’m not some lecher! I’d threaten to punch you but that's what you want, damn masochist.

Wait, Fuck, what do you mean scary? What the hell would scare you?”

Mai made a tsk, tsk motion with her finger, her smile widening. She was enjoying this far too much.

“Not a lecher? Why, I know 5 others who would disagree. And to think Yukari gave you a kiss! But I won’t be angry with you if you go with me. Come on!”

"Wait how do you know about the kiss?”

“BFF’s.”

“Fucking how, the Hyuuga letting you in is like cats and dogs getting along.”

“I know, last time they tackled me. Huge dogpile. It was great. Time before that, we ran away while they were arguing cause I challenged her to an official duel. It was great!”

“How are you alive? …Did you win?”

“Dumbass, that was just to make them angry. … sides, it doesn’t matter matter who won! ‘Sides, if you think I shouldn’t be alive from that, you really should ask about some of the other missions I’ve taken! Done way worse than that! Sadly you were too busy flirting! So, coming or not?”

“Wait you’ve nearly died on other… The fuck Mai I swear if you go off and die I’ll kill you myself. Obviously, you’re about to do something really stupid, so you need some supervision… Fuck… Alright fine, what’re you up to!”

Mai just turned and smirked, before disappearing. On the way, she picked up Kabutowari from a treetop. It took about 15 minutes before Mai slowed down. They were headed up the mountain by the Hokage Monument, though it was obvious Mai was taking the long way around. She took a deep gulp as she neared it, starting to actually visibly shake. It was obvious she, for once, was at least truthful about the whole scary area part. She also was quiet the entire way. Mai headed towards the ANBU part of the village, specifically the prison. She took another deep breath on the way, stopping for a minute, and finally turned to Hideki.

“Yeah… I might be a little… nervous about this. To be honest, visiting someone not sure how it’ll go. Why I needed a brave knight with me.”

“...You want to… Visit somebody here? What do you mean? If you want to talk to somebody from ANBU it’s easy enough. Pretty sure Takara has some leeway with it.” the young man said, not getting the picture. “...So now I’m the BRAVE knight huh?”

“Obviously, I’ve seen those abs. ‘Sides, I ain’t visiting an ANBU ninja…”

Approaching a grey building, it seemed to suck all the hope out of the surrounding area. She entered a large iron doors, and left Kabutowari by it inside, with her two wheels as well, then headed towards to the receptionist, picking up a pen for some ledgers.

“Hiya. Mai Sanada and Hideki Ukita. We’re here to visit prisoner #1543, cell 231B. Can you take care of my weapons?”

Signing it, Mai gulped again as they headed up a set of stones.

“So yeah… a ninja we know, but ain’t ANBU… Not sure how this’ll go. Took me a long time to find out where they were.”

Hideki signed in after her and damn well near broke his skull with how high his eyebrow was raised. “A ninja we know but not ANBU…. Did… Aiko do something horrible? Or… Did something really bad happen when i was gone that month…

...I don’t think I saw Nagisa after that…” he started guessing, hoping to god he would get out of this alive.

“How big is your harem!?”

“I don’t have a HAREM!” he yelled and immediately regretted it.

Mai made her way to the cell, looking inside.

“Ah fuck it’s you. The hell do you want?” The voice echoed out from the back of the cell. The Hoshigakure ninja, Shiki, looked worse off than the last time Mai and Hideki had seen her, gaunt and pale, her voice sounded tired as well.

“Back to finish the job huh?”

Mai put her hands to her hips. Hideki might still notice she was shaking a bit.

“Come on, not like you’d know anything your sensei didn’t. The hell would I kill you for? I came because now I’m curious. What are you going to do to me? Have you figured out how you are going to beat me? That star chakra doesn’t look like its a very good idea looking at you and didn’t help any last time. So, how are you getting out of here?”

Mai then glanced at HIdeki, her face looking a bit nervous. She leaned and whispered.

“They say she’s only got weeks to live. I just want her to have something to live for, even if it’s to hate me. I’ve got no freakin’ clue what I’m doing though. I mean, you seem to know how to get a girl’s attention, having a harem and all.”

“...I also killed her friend…” Hideki added softly with a deep sigh. “...And I don’t have a damn harem…” he let the young woman answer Mai first.

“Do...to...you?” Shiki seemed to take a moment to process the sentiment and then laughed hollowly. “Gods you’re arrogant. I don’t really give a fuck about you. What could I do to you that would fix my body? Or get me out of this shithole? Or bring back my squadmates? You really think I’ve spared a single moment to think about you? I’ve been thinking about the fact that I have no useful intel, so if my Village wanted to they could have paid a ransom to get me back weeks ago. They haven’t cause they know I’m dying and the most use they can get out of me is scamming the Leaf out of a few months of healthcare,”

Shiki flopped down from her sitting position to lie down on her cot, folding her arms behind her head. “I’m sure you thought you were doing me a favor when you didn’t kill me back then. But that was really all about you, you just didn’t want to get your hands dirty. This is the same, maybe you think this is about making me feel better or giving me something to live for or some bullshit like that. The truth is you just want to keep on thinking your actions don’t have consequences,”

Shiki yawned and closed her eyes. “Too bad, you’ll have to wake up sooner or later,”

Mai rolled her eyes.

“So, going to cry me a river? Forgetting you would be easy. You could at least ask me questions that aren’t obvious.

Your body? I’m going to get you to quit crying yourself to sleep and making your teammates look pathetic. Bring them back? Hell no, I’m making it so the next bunch you are with aren’t failed by you. Or did your last teammates not mean anything to you?

Get you out this shithole? Geez, the security is so lax and they care so little about a dying shinobi that they let us visit you without bothering as to so much as check me. All the real security is on the left side of this prison with your sensei.

And spared a moment for me? Well, considering I trounced your ass, I was kinda hoping.

Wait, I forgot arrogant.”

Mai punched the ground hard enough to crack it, and send a large echo throughout the area. Her hand was bleeding and sticking at a weird angle.

“See that stone? Looks ugly right? Well, everyone’s a stepping stone, everyone. I don’t want my path to full of ugly cracked stones I stepped over.”

“You should get that hand checked out,” said Shiki flatly. “The Leaf has the best medical nin in the world, you might as well take advantage of that. It’s probably something that you take for granted but let me explain what it means to me. There’s no one in my village who could hold a candle to the medical nin they’ve got taking care of me. Forget escaping, if they held the door open for me and gave me a packed lunch I’d still be cutting my life expectancy in half by leaving That’s assuming I actually make it home instead of collapsing in a field somewhere.

I’m not going to be with a ‘next bunch’ even if I had the time left to join another squad I wouldn’t want to. My village doesn’t give a crap about me why would I fight for them? There’s nothing I want enough to become some kind of mercenary or criminal either.”

Hideki had mostly been silent for the time, he had been thinking about this as they both spoke. Mai was brute forcing it as per usual, and the girl was stuck in her sorrow and defeatism. “...Each day brings new gifts… Some good, some bad… Some you don’t understand why they were given to you, some people take these and toss them away, expecting better to come by letting the gifts continue.

But those people, who throw away those things, are tossing away pieces of a larger puzzle, for life never truly gives you complete things, they will be pieces of a larger thing you must look for, or the purpose of the object is not always known to you at the time.

This is a fact of life, one we cannot predict but only hope has some form of meaning, philosophers have been debating the reason for life and our existence and likely will until the end. But I know that it doesn’t matter what life gives you, it’s what you decide to do with the gifts it lays before you, that's what truly matters.

And, when you stop looking at the things life gives, stop caring and trying to figure out how to get that little bit of happyness down the road. That's when you die, that's when life gives up on you.

No more gifts.

No more future.

You stagnate and die.

And be lost to history as another faceless casualty.

So, if you want to be lost to the world, to toss away the gifts life brings, then I guess that's your call. You never know what you’ll come against next, I can’t say you’ll have long, but all the more you should try and enjoy what you have left.

Or so I think anyways. This is just one of the many different life motivational bullshit thats out there, you're the master of your own fate, life just gives you the tools to carve it out.”

He looked to Mai and shrugged, he was talking a woman off her deathbed here, shes resigned to it, but he gave his best shot.

“No idea what he just said, but whatever. Do what Hideki said at least, he’s smarter than I am. Pull your head out and at least make the most of it.”

Mai wasn’t really sure what else to do, so she turned to leave. It wasn’t til she was at least turned away her face started to be alot less stoic and energetic. There was also strange water there, which motivated Mai to walk a bit quicker.

There was a long tired sigh and then Shiki’s voice chased after them. “Do either of you know how to play shogi?”

“I picked it up awhile ago, better at it than I am Go that's for certain…” the young man huffed, remembering to pay yukari back for the latest defeat.

Mai stopped for a second, and when she turned back, everything on her face seemed normal.

“Yeah, my Mom keeps making me play. Something about ‘you can’t spend ALL your #$@@ time outside’. I can’t beat her, then again, she does play with the Nara clan alot… Sure, let’s go for it, I’ll go get us a board!”

Mai was gone in a flash.

“There’s one in the guard’s room,” said Shiki with exasperation. “They play with me on slow da-... She already left didn’t she?”

“Indeed she did… She does that often enough, hopefully you never have to get used to it..” he sighed , scratching behind his head. “...You might’ve been grilled on this for awhile, but I have to ask… Why did you attack our patrol?”

“We were just hyenas looking for an easy meal,” said Shiki, chuckling dryly. “We were supposed to scout out whether or not the Leaf really had been attacked, what the damage was like, that kind of thing. But we could confirm that from way back, the damage was obvious even from a distance. I’m pretty sure our Jonin just liked the idea of taking on the ‘famous leaf ninja’ and winning and figured anyone they sent out would be a cobbled together force we could handle. We could spin that into something bigger over time, attract more clients, maybe even be taken seriously as a hidden village. ‘Course we both know how that turned out,”

“I see… He took a gamble…” Hideki nodded. “I was lucky to be born here I suppose… The way we of common birth look to the nobles as fools who think they own the world, is the way many look to us…

Another thing to abolish once the world is brought together.” the young man spoke the last part to himself mostly, remembering what he told Mai not so long ago.

Yelling could be heard at the front, the receptionist mentioning something about clearing items first. Mai returned with a brand new Shogi board. She looked a bit tired, but far less than she should have been.

“Sorry, took a second. So, got the board!”

She slammed it down on the floor, and took a seat.

“Uh, hope I didn’t interrupt anything? Hideki, you want to go first? Me? Or…?”

“Go ahead Mai, sure shes tired of hearing me yammer on by now.” he smirked motioning her forwards.

“Whatever,” said Shiki. “Whoever it is take the first move, I’m not in any hurry,”

“Uh… you go first?”

Mai looked at the board, trying to remember how all the pieces worked. While her mother was a genius, and did trap Mai for the occasional game, Mai had recently gotten a lot faster, which made getting trapped alot harder. And by recently, Mai supposed it had been about 3 years? How much could Mai possible forget though? She gave Shiki the reigning King.

Shiki played without getting up from her cot. She called out her moves, seemingly without needing to see the board and her play style was methodical and exceedingly patient. Turn by turn she boxed Mai in and chipped away at her pieces until the situation seemed hopeless and most of her options were gone.

“I would take my time with your next turn if I were you,” said Shiki, speaking not to call her move for the first time since the match had started. “The board state you’re looking at is actually a famous tsume, there is a way to win from here, but only one,”

Mai scratched her head. She was losing pretty badly. The fact her opponent had a Dragon was slightly worrying and a Horse and Tokin… and a promoted silver...and gold… and lance…

“Why would you leave a way to win?”

She kept looking at the board, over and remembered her mother had shown her something similar once. Mai had no idea how to solve it. She kept looking at it, wondering if she moved her knight if she could do anything. Her king was in danger. And her opponents seemed so solid. Mai’s face as she saw, and called out her move as she moved the knight right by her opponent’s king, sounding proud.

“Well, you just put yourself in check so that wasn’t it,” said Shiki, sounding faintly amused. “Try something else, it took me like a week to figure it out the first time I tried it,”

Mai looked at it for a solid few minutes. In the end she pulled out a pen and scribbled on the game box.

“I don’t think I’m solving this here. I’ll think on it and come back. Thanks for the game, think I give up. I’m not even going to pretend to be a genius here.”

Mai cracked her neck as she got up. And gave a quick nod to Shiki.

“See you around! Think I’ll come back in three days.”

“Don’t worry I won’t be going anywhere,” said Shiki, rolling her eyes.

Mai gave a deep exhale as she rounded the corner with Hideki. She held her hand over her chest like she had a heart attack and rested against the wall.

“I don’t think I’ve ever done something that terrifying. Thankfully I had a brave knight with me.”

The young man put a hand upon her shoulder. “You did well, in your own way. I doubt I really made to much of a difference, hell I just spouted some bullshit motivational crap I found in a magazine once…” the young man admitted, with a small shrug.

Mai just blinked. “You did what!?”

Mai Sanada and Yukari Hyuuga
A Painting and a Plan

Yukari stared out the window, waiting for the last of the ink to dry on her letter. Hanging in front of her was her latest painting, finally completed. At least, at a quality she considered acceptable. It was a gift, after all, she couldn’t settle for anything less than a perfect piece.

News of Yoake kidnapping Hyuuga had done more than send a few ripples through the clan. It wasn’t long before Yukari practically found herself a prisoner of her own home. Even if the elders looked at her in disdain, they’d be damned if they were going to let a member of the Main House be taken.

“You sure took your damn time,” Yukari muttered to the white cat currently climbing in her window.

“Don’t get your tail in a twist, Nyah. I’m here, aren’t I?” Hikari gracefully landed on the floor before padding over to the Hyuuga.

“Ugh, just take these to Mai, alright?” Securing a pouch to the Yokai, she tucked in the letter and now carefully rolled scroll.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m going. Nyah.”

Mai sat in front of a Shogi board in her house, still trying to figure out whatever winning move Shiki had been talking about. The board was so complicated. How many hours would it take? Her mother, Nohime, passed by. With a smirk and elegant movement, she moved the pieces in 4 quick moves.

“And checkmate. I thought you’d given up on Shogi?”

“Turns out I need it to help someone…”

“Would you like a game, dear?”

“You always win.”

“Kinda the point of practicing with the Nara. You’ll never get better at something if you don’t play against people better than you.”

Mai groaned, looking up at the ceiling. Upstairs, the angry yowl of a cat could be heard along with a skittering sound.

“The hell? That Aunt Joro?”

Mai disappeared upstairs. Her mother simply looked at the board, and sat down, starting to play against herself.

Appearing in the attic, Mai’s face brightened amidst two creatures hissing at each other.

“Hikari! Hey, is Yukari with you?”

Mai body flickered through the two, picking up the cat, and ran towards the cliffside of the quarry where she lived, petting the cat. Mai didn’t know if the Hikari appreciated it, but what was the worst that could happen?

“No, she isn’t,” Hikari seemed annoyed, but still settled into Mai’s arms. “...did you know there was a Jorogumo living in your attic?”

“Aunt Joro? Yeah, she’s strange, but hey, what kind of clan would we be if we didn’t help out people in need? Side’s Uncle Toshiro’s taken a fancy to her and can manage her just fine. So, how can I help you?”

Mai finally landed on the side of the quarry.

“As long as she isn’t causing trouble again, nyah.” The Yokai gestured to the pouch on her back, “Yukari asked me to bring these to you though.”

Mai curiously opened the pouch, and saw a painting. Her jaw immediately dropped.

bb256ffab961cd83c4ab5948017cf51e.jpg

“These are beautiful! I didn’t know Yukari was an artist! I’m going to go hang them in my room right now! Dang. What could I get her back? Huh. Hey, Hikari, what sorts of things does Yukari like?”

“Playing go, art - cat more paintings than she knows what to do with though - just hanging out with you, for a few things, nyah.”

“Huh...Cat paintings? I’ll make sure to return the favor when I can. Thanks Hikari! So… do you want me to drop you off back at the Hyuga compound?”

“That’s not what I…” Hikari sighed, “there’s a note in there for you too.”

“Huh.”

Mai opened the note as well, her brow furrowing. She just sighed.

“Well, looks like I’ll be breaking her out then. Man, that sucks. She’s stuck in her house, her families are douchebags, AND her sensei has a drinking problem. Hmm. Gotta be a way I can make things better for her.”

Mai cracked her neck and leaned against the wall as she thought.

“I know she does want to be clan head. I know I sure as hell still do. What could I do that would help her standing?”

“Beating you in the duel did next to nothing, nyah.”

Mai hummed quietly as she quietly reviewed internal notes.

In the end, Mai grabbed the note, and wrote on the back.

Our mission, should we choose to accept it is to beat the Byakugan. If they are so proud of it, let’s neuter it! Times like this I’m glad my clan doesn’t have any Kekkei Genkais, means there’s nothing we’re supposed to be gloating over the other clans. Bright side of you being cooped up is you have lots of time to help figure this out. Do you know anyone good at stealth? We need to figure out how to make someone disappear from your eyes. Genjutsus no good, if they can just break out, and if it’s not special, you won’t get any credit. Need something else…
Though, I’m pissed they aren’t taking my duel with you seriously. Got any clanmates I can clobber?
~Mai, of the Sanada

“See if that cheers her up any. I’ll figure out something if it kills me.”

“I’ll paws it along, then.” Hikari jumped down from her arms, “Stay away from the compound for awhile, nyah. They might actually try to kill you this time.”

“I’d be more worried about them, but yeah, wouldn’t be good for our friendship if I end up breaking all the Hyuga’s hips…”

Mai glanced back at a certain house below.

“Anyways, yeah, I’ll be good for once. I should get a summon too…”

Aiko's Bad Day
It was an early morning, and Aiko was alone at her father’s shop prepping the kitchen for the day. Her father was out catching some fresh fish at the moment. He wouldn’t be back for some time.

“Jeez, we have plenty of frozen fish in storage, why is he so anal about getting some fresh one everyday?” Aiko asked herself as she was wiping the counter.

~

Suddenly, a dart came flying through the window, flying past Aiko in a spray of glass, and landing in the corner. It came from a downward trajectory, so it had been fired from up high. The dart itself was fairly thick, with a needle on the end dripping down the wall, and was covered in writing. A second later, another dart came flying through, aimed equally as bad, though if Aiko stood still, she might find herself hit.

Aiko cursed, and hopped backwards just in time to dodge the second dart. Instinctively, her sharingan activated, her gaze shifting to the window. Without a word, Aiko brought her hands up to get ready to form a handsign if need be. Whoever threw those darts hadn’t shown their face yet!

~

Watching in the distance, Aiko would see another dart appear in the horizon as a small dart, and slowly get bigger, and bigger. It struck randomly in the store as well, hitting the center. Another dart came in, then another. A total of five entered the store. Then they just sort of stopped. None of the darts actually seemed to be aimed directly at Aiko. But from the sheer distance they had been fired from, it seemed little surprise if they were remotely accurate. They came from far enough away to be invisible to even the sharingan. The darts had very little piercing power by the time they made it into the store, just barely able to stick in the walls, and on skidded on the floor.

Aiko glanced down at the darts, but focused her attention back on the window. She was looking straight at the window, so it wasn’t a very strategical position. Aiko was confident she could dodge or use substitution jutsu before anything could actually hit her though.
~
No more darts flew through, and for a minute there was peace. Then the fire nation attacked. Each of the darts exploded, taking out all the support beams in the shop at once, dropping the entirity of the store downward in a horrendous crash.

On a mountain about two miles away, a small green haired girl was prone, with what seemed to be bug wings. She had goggles on, and no headband. A blowdart sat in her hands, and her iris had expanded to take up most of her eyes.

“People say Mochizuki is stupid! Well, Mochi got here no problem, and looks like I’ve got my target too! Inside the Leaf! Suck it, Juuni! "Oh, you can't sneak into the Leaf in broad daylight, kidnap a target, and not get caught." Well, who's Ko's favorite now? Oh wait, Mochi has to actually catch the target first. Let's see. She should be 5.03 meters from the left of the debris collapse, and 1.04 meters up.”

The strange girl reloaded her dart and fired two more darts. One pierced through the debris like butter, inches above Aiko, revealing a cold wind to her, and the second hit her, sealing her inside. The dart disappeared in a poof as the girl resummoned it into her hand. Mochizuki tapped her chin.

"Hmm... Maybe I should leave a calling card? I mean, having a feared organization's ain't no good if people don't know ya in it."

Mochizuki loaded in a recruitment poster, tore out the contact information, and fired it attached to a dart towards the debris.

"I should probably go now. And wash out my mouth, I said a bad word."

Last edited:
Mai's Bad Day

Mai looked over the issue challenged letter again. Who would want to fight her? Besides every Hyuga… or Kanbei… or a prank from her teammates.

“Nevermind, checks out.”

She shrugged, and packed her things, heading to the site of the duel. She was oddly less excited than she should be. That annoyed her. Fighting was fun, it was about crushing others, and proving her strength. But lately… she’d never actually won a spar. That weird island mission went badly for her. She’d also been impaled recently enough. And the person she didn’t kill hated her. Things just didn’t seem to go her way at all lately. But this was fight. And fights were what she was made for damnit!

Mai arrived to the area, and cracked her neck.

“Alright, who are you, and how do you want to do this? I don’t do duels to the death, just so you know.”

Sitting nearby atop of a rock was a odd looking young woman, with cotton candy colored hair and a very sharp toothed grin. “Oh my gosh she actually showed up.” she stared flabbergasted for a moment.

“Is she actually gonna… Like.. I didn’t even try in that letter…” she mumbled, her tongue licking the sharpened edge of her sharpened teeth before she stood up.

“Umm hey! You came! Glad you, uhh, did! Yea… Umm… jeez I thought I was actually gonna have to try harder for a second. Did you come alone as the letter said?”

“So…. going to answer my first question? I am Mai, of the Sanada. And of course not. I brought Kabutowari incase things went South and you wanted a weapons duel or something. So, fisticuffs? Or weapons? Or upside down marathon across the reed forest above a pit of acid? I mean, I’d be game, actually sounds pretty cool.”

“Oh shoot I’m Carrie~! Sorry sorry, just got really excited that you came!!” she put on the most cutsey fake smile she could, though her normal smile and this one was a little bit too similar to tell apart.

“So, umm, yea its gonna be a fight. All you gotta do it stand on your big ol’ x over there and I’ll stand on mine! Real simple!” she pointed out the two, rather suspicious X’s on the ground nearby.

“Yea, yours is over there, mine is right here.” she stood upon heres. “No tricks here! Just a fight~! But we gotta start on the x’s okaaaaaay~?”

Mai raised an eyebrow. This sounded like something Hideki would pull… only better thought out. Mai drew Kabutowari, and slashed an X on the ground infront of her.

“ ‘kay, I’m ready.”

“Nooooooooooooooo sillyyyy~! You gotta stand on THAT X! Otherwise we can’t fight~!” the fanged grin seemed to tense slightly, a heavily mascaraed eye twitched. “It's just a really simple thing~! Or is the great Mai sanada afraid of a itty bitty x in the ground?”

“Mortified. Can we start already? I’m getting bored. We don’t start, I consider that you forfeiting, and I’m alright with that. Been dealing with alooot of crap lately. Yukari doesn’t make me stand on strange X’s to start.”

“Jeeze, spoil sport, but I get you, I got alotta crap on my plate to~ Like my boss won’t get off my cute little tush. It’s SUCH a downer like O.M.G.” The young woman continued to prattle but sighed. “Fine, lets do this then. If you wana be boring about it I guess.”

“Yours too? Like, I know. Mine won’t stop yapping about ‘Mai, don’t punch the enemy yet! Mai, you’re giving away our position. Mai the old man is just a civilian.’ You know? You never feel appreciated! Then you do something right, and she just ignores you. One of us gotta start a support group after this. Well, if we’re starting.”

Mai faded to black, reappearing in front of the woman with a haymaker aimed for her face. She’d dropped Kabutowari.

Shadow Strike

The bear trap of a mouth smiled wider, she suddenly opened up and bit into the arm of mai, latching on like bulldog, and the sharp toothed young lady turned quickly to drag Mai over her shoulder into a throw.

Mai cried in both confusion and pain. This was not the good kind of pain! Her other fist went to trying to punch her arm free, trying to punch her opponents teeth.

The punch impacted, but even with all the force Mai had, the bite held true, flinging the young woman to the ground as another person joined the fray, leaping up they threw several kunai each tied with cable to pin the young woman down, atleast for awhile.

The new assailant landed, looking incredibly unamused with the display beneath a gas mask, he had a rather large bag hoisted over his shoulder and round objects in his hand.

Once Pinned, Carrie, let go of mai’s arm, giving her bloodied teeth a good long lick. “Emmm~! Tasty~! Lots of iron though.”

Mai built up pressure in her legs as she was bound to the ground flailing wouldn’t get her out, but Mai was not weak either. A second later she jumped with everything she had, pulling the net and kunai with her as she made her way into a tree. She fumbled trying to get the rest of the net off. Once accomplished, Mai looked at her arm, an actual look of fear on her face. She looked like she wanted to cry.

“Th-that was my good arm!”

Clenching her other fist, she looked down in rage at the two.

“This was supposed to be a FAIR FIGHT! YOU !@$#@er’s are going down!”

Mai turned to black again, reappearing infront of the pink haired psycho, dropping her heel directly down on the woman’s teeth.

Leaf Drop

“Oh goodness mimi we’ve made her mad!!” she yelped, but from the x below her, came a rumble as suddenly a hound made of mud came bursting up and slammed it’self into the incoming kick, which splattered it but remained attached in a sticky mess as more crawled out from the ground.

Earth Release:Mud Wolves

“Oh no~!!! Now your all diiiirty~!” Carrie smiled as she strapped upon her face a gas mask. Mimi, the man who entered a few moments ago, litt he fuses to the round balls and tossed them around the area where the wolves began swarming.

The candy colored young lady laughed, well, it was more like a haughty cackle. “NIGHTY NIGHT~!” as the gases began to envelope the area.

Mai grunted as the gas started to go off. She just needed to break their limbs before she fell unconscious! She kicked off against the wolf, freeing her foot, and backflipping towards the other enemy, kicking downwards at her. The middle one! Why were there three? And why did they move between eachother?

When the kick landed in between them the two stared at the massive dent in the ground, silently thankful that it did miss. Mai was no incapacitate, and quite thoroughly to. Their prize was theres and the wolves began receding back into the dirt.

“Whelp mimi we did it! One sanada in the bag!” she held up a hand to high five her partner only to be left hanging as the man began tieing up the young woman, thoroughly, and put her into the burlap sack.

“UGH! You’re SUCH a downer Mimi, NO FUN AT ALL!!” she exclaimed, pouting as she began walking back to the meeting point. “Well!? Come on!!!” she yelled, getting a very disgruntled sigh from the man…

This was going to be a long trip back…

Nagisa Kanazawa and Yuuki Uchiha
A Favor
Takes place before the attacks on Mai and Aiko

“Urrgh!” Nagisa screwed the piece of paper she’d been drawing on into a ball and threw it into the wastebasket beside her desk, a basket full of similarly screwed up sheets of paper. After a couple of days sketching out designs and even prototyping out a few designs her idea was only seeming further away.

Squad 4’s brush with Matsuri of the Bells had reminded Nagisa of a glaring weakness in her skillset, namely genjutsu. Nagisa had always had trouble forming the right handseals and perfecting the fine chakra control needed to form and defend against genjutsu so in the past she had mostly just ignored it, it hadn’t come up all that often and even against Matsuri it had ended up being a nonfactor.

But how long was that going to be the case? Nagisa couldn’t keep relying on her teammates to cover her from any genjutsu they ran into. What she really needed was some kind of tool to help defend against them, to automate or at least streamline the process.

That was what Nagisa had been working on for the last couple of days. On the bright side brushing up on the mechanics of genjutsu had really improved her mastery of the basics, on the downside she hadn’t really found a way to make what she wanted.

Most of Nagisa’s early designs had focused on using pain to break genjutsu. Nagisa had come up with the idea of a sort of box that could be attached to the skin with chakra metal plate that would react to changes in the wearer’s chakra system and trigger a mechanism that would inject a syringe of some kind.

Unfortunately, the chakra metal plates ended up needing to be rather large to absorb enough chakra to react the right way, making the whole device bulky and inconvenient. On top of that, the amount of pain needed to break of stronger genjutsus quickly outstripped what she could deal to herself without permanently or semi-permanently impeding her combat effectiveness.

What Nagisa really needed was a way to mimic the genjutsu release, something that would flush foreign chakra out of her system, but manipulating chakra mechanically was tricky, almost impossible to do without the use of seals and Nagisa’s fuuinjutsu was fairly average.

Nagisa sighed, pushed her chair away from her desk and stood up. After their last mission had devolved into her riding around on his back Nagisa didn’t really want to rely on Yuuki for anything else, but the thought of asking Nobushige for help and having to put up with his antics was even less appealing so with some slight misgivings Nagisa got up and headed for the Uchiha compound.

It was a nice day out, warm with clear skies and a light breeze. Most importantly, it was also a day off. The stream of missions had been great for saving up money. Less so for actually getting to take advantage of it. The growing stack of unread manga had been taunting Yuuki for far too long now. The Uchiha intended to spend at least part of the day sitting out in his mother’s garden and catching up.

“Nisekoi? What’s that?” Nagisa straightened up from reading the title of Yuuki’s reading material with a quizzical expression. Getting into the compound had been surprisingly easy, either the Uchiha were starting to relax in the wake of the attack or she had just become something of a fixture to them. Maybe both.

“About a couple teens that hate each other but have to pretend they’re in love to prevent a war from starting. Pretty funny, actually.” Yuuki marked his place before looking up, “You can borrow a few volumes some time if you want.”

“Huh? Uhh pass, that sounds like it wouldn’t really be my thing. Isn’t there someone they could assassinate if they really wanted to prevent a war?” Nagisa frowned. She didn’t read all that often. Tsuchinoko had taught her how to but most of his books were complicated technical manuals and a handful of tattered detective novels, Nagisa had never really gotten into the habit of reading for fun.

“Probably, but these gangs have some weird code of honor like samurai or something.” He shrugged, “so what’s brought you out here?”

“I...urgh.. Kinda sorta need a favor?” Nagisa rubbed the back of her neck and looked away. “I mean it’s not a big deal! I could figure it out on my own, if you’re busy with your… manga or whatever. It would just take less time to do something-”

Yuuki rolled his eyes, trying not to laugh, “I don’t mind, what are you working on?”

“Let’s go get some food or something,” said Nagisa, putting her hands on her hips and failing to look nonchalant. “I’ll explain on the way,”

It was a bit of a walk from the Uchiha compound to the center of town, the pair eventually picking a place. Despite its small size, the ramen shop had always been popular among the villagers. Good food, and not too expensive either. A nice combination.

“So,” Yuuki rested his chin on his hand once they’d ordered, “What is it you’re trying to work on?”

“Mmm,” Nagisa replied, swallowing a noodle forcefully. She seemed much more at ease in the bustling restaurant. “I’ve been trying to work out an automatic counter for genjutsu, something that could detect when you were under the effects of one and then break you out of it. I tried to come up with a mechanical solution but they didn’t end up being practical, so I was thinking some kind of seal could work,”

A quiet hum as Yuuki picked up a piece of pork from the broth, “Alright, what’d you try with this mechanical device?”

“W-what does it matter?” asked Nagisa evasively. “It didn’t pan out,”

“It just helps to know what you’ve tried, what kind of trigger you were thinking on.”

“It was based around a plate of chakra metal, you would put chakra into it to heat it up or make it vibrate or… something and then the mechanism was rigged to trigger when the plate was no longer reacting properly, so if you lost control of your pathways and couldn’t keep doing it it would go off,” Nagisa explained.

Yuuki was quiet for several moments, lightly drumming his fingers against the countertop as he thought. “You remember those paper dolls sensei made us deal with?”

“Huh?.. Oh yeah, I could always just hold them in my false arm so I never bothered doing much with them. I see what you’re saying though, a burst of chakra like that could work…”

He frowned, “Using your puppet arm kinda defeats the whole purpose of that training…”

Nagisa shrugged. “I had stuff I wanted to do, not my fault Nobushige couldn’t be bothered to make sure his exercises weren't wildly exploitable. That’s the kind of thing he approves of anyway,”

“Anyway, a seal that instantly repulses your chakra isn’t going to help. But if you had one that collected chakra that flowed over it and pulsed it back if that flow was disrupted…”

“Oh that could work!” said Nagisa, slurping down a noodle and summoning a pen to scribble on a napkin. “Can you make something like that?”

“Yeah, shouldn’t be too big of a deal. It might only work on weaker genjutsu though.”

“Yeah I was afraid of that,” sighed Nagisa. “Shunting that much chakra around with seals might not be good for me anyway. Still, it’ll be a start right? I’ll just have to stab anyone who goes for any of the fancier ones,”

Yuuki chuckled, “Yeah.” Pulling a sheet of paper from his pocket he pressed his fingers against it, letting his chakra spread out and darken like ink. “Probably going to take some experimenting to get it just right.”

“No rush or anything,” Nagisa said, watching Yuuki work with reserved interest and then pointed a finger at him. “If you’re doing me a favor you also need to figure out what I’m doing for you, I don’t like owing anyone anything,”

“Heh, you don’t owe me anything for this,” Yuuki held up the new tag between his fingers, flowing chakra into it. The sheet glowed a faint blue, “it’s what teammates are for, isn’t it?” He stopped the chakra flow, the tag bursting with a loud pop and slight shock to his fingertips. “Okay, too much chakra…”

“That’s not how I do things,” Nagisa said, delicately picking scraps of the burst tag out of her ramen. “People like to say you don’t owe them until they’re in the hole and suddenly they remember every time they held a damn door open for you. I’m not saying you’d do that or anything… I just wanna keep things clear. As long as you face up to what you owe people they can’t use it to control you,”

Nagisa looked up from her meal with something like a smile pulling at the corners of her mouth. “Soooo decide how I’m paying you back,”

Shaking his head, Yuuki went back to eating for a few moments -after also picking bits of paper from his bowl. “Then… why don’t you teach me how to use puppets?”

Nagisa blinked. “Uh sure. I mean, it shouldn’t be a problem if you start with a puppet like the one the old man gave you. Is that really a technique you’ve been wanting to pick up?”

A small, almost sheepish smile, “I’ll admit I’ve been pretty curious about it. Plus it’s hard to use that gift without it.”

“Alright well let’s start with chakra threads, that’s the technique that powers and control most puppets.” Nagisa placed her hand face up in the middle of the table and begin producing thin, glowing threads. “It’s relatively simple but there are a few things to keep in mind. Most importantly, you don’t produce just one continuous thread from each finger, you make multiple smaller threads called fibers that you bind together like a rope. More fibers means greater tensile strength and more precise control, but they tend to be harder and slower to produce. So most puppeteers use more threads per finger for long-term setups like controlling their puppets and fewer threads per fingers for quick things like manipulating shurikens."

If Yuuki watched closely he’d be able to see what Nagisa was saying was true. From her fingertips five tiny, barely visible threads pushed their way up like blades of grass and began to wind together in a precise spiraling pattern to form a single, thicker thread. “I usually use five fiber threads for my arm and two or three for off the cuff stuff,”

Yuuki nodded, carefully watching the threads form. The threads themselves seemed straightforward enough, at least as far as the basics were considered. Thin blue threads crept from his fingertips, “So… like this?”

“That.. took me way longer to pick up,” Nagisa said, sounding a little grumpy.

He shifted, “well, you were probably just learning how to use chakra at the time too.”

“That’s pretty good for a first attempt but see how you haven’t wrapped them evenly? That’ll make them harder to control and they’re more likely to come undone once you start pumping chakra through them,”

A low hum as the threads dissipated before carefully reforming. “Mmm, I think think they’re still uneven.”

“The trick is to move all of them at the same time,” said Nagisa, leaning closer to study his fingertips. “After a bit of practice it becomes pretty natural,”

Yuuki nodded, redoing the threads once more. With a light flick of his fingers, they clung to a few scattered pieces of paper and pulled them into a little pile. “Not too different from using wires. At least from this range.”

“Yeah, take a few days to get used to them,” Nagisa nodded. ”Maybe you can get some use out of that piece of junk he foisted off on you after all,”

“Heh, maybe.” Yuuki offered a small smile, “Thanks.”

“Then it’s a deal,” Nagisa said, with a subtle hint of satisfaction coloring her voice. “Now finish your damn ramen before the noodles get soggy,”

Bad Night for the Hyuuga
Void black eyes looked down at the Hyuuga compound from the roof of a nearby building. Numerous lights were still on as branch members patrolled the grounds. It seemed that morning’s incident had put the entire village on high alert. For all her intelligence, that girl really can be an idiot… He adjusted his glasses with a sigh, starting a series of handsigns. His body quickly dissolved into an inky black pool, dripping down the side of the building and onto the street.

Finding his target was easy enough, the increased guards was a dead giveaway. Slipping through the small gaps in the closed window, the dark mass crept towards the sleeping heiress.

Yukari awoke with a start, eyes scanning her dark room. Her entire body screamed that something was horribly wrong; like she’d been thrown into a corrupted yokai realm in her sleep. It reminded her of the cult she’d fought not even a month ago. She moved to form the handsign for her byakugan when something icy coiled around her wrists.

The Hyuuga didn’t have a chance to cry out as the shade poured into her mouth and nose. She couldn’t think, couldn’t scream, Yukari writhed as the unnatural cold flooded her veins. Ebony tears left dark tracks down her face, the pain seemed to drag on for hours before everything went black.

Slowly pushing herself to her feet, Yukari swayed slightly. It was tempting to test out the byakugan right then and there; actually experience the so-called “greatest doujutsu in the Leaf”. But now wasn’t the time for that. Already guards were starting to suspect something was off.

I swear if Mochizuki so much as opens her mouth… Rapidly weaving hand seals, she dissolved into shadow and slipped out into the night.

Hotaru Hagano and "Yukari?"

A Late Departure

The Hagano Residence…

The village was in an uproar. Even from her house almost on the outskirts of town Hotaru could see something was up, but after sending a moth out from into the cool evening night she had a slightly better of what was going on. Missing genin, it didn’t take a genius of Hotaru’s caliber to connect it to the people Mugen’s letter warned about.

Hotaru sighed. For the last couple of days she’d been weighing her options, considering the pros and cons of the possible courses laid out before her. The cons list of what she was contemplating was daunting, even if things went well she’d make an enemy of almost everyone she knew and if things went badly she would end up dead, maybe tortured then dead.

But on the other hand the pros were almost dizzyingly high as well. This was an opportunity nobody else in the village, maybe nobody else anywhere, could take up, just a peak at some of the data that would be available to her was enough to make Hotaru’s heart race. Besides, with this latest round of disappearances it was starting to seem like the more drastic path was necessary, Hotaru didn’t think she could just sit back and let the adults dictate the course of events. Regardless of the danger, regardless of what people might think of her, it was time to take her destiny into her own hands.

Hotaru rose from her desk and slung the bag beside it on her shoulder. She’d already packed everything she would need, maybe that was a sign that she’d made her mind up a while ago and had merely been in denial about it. The hard part would be leaving the village undetected but before that she had one last errand to run…

The Aburame Compound

“Hey so… I probably won’t be able to visit for a while,” Hotaru smiled as she bent down to place a single, pale yellow flower by the silent grave. The hole in the compound security Hotaru had used last time was still there, she suspected Ago had deliberately left it open for her benefit.

“I wonder if you would understand why I’m doing this,” Hotaru said, looking up at the pale moon shining down on the clearing. “I mean, I’m certain you wouldn’t approve but if we talked about it could I make you understand why I need to make this decision? I don’t know, I don’t remember enough about you to say…”

Hotaru glanced around. She’d spread her moths around the area to ensure there wasn’t anyone nearby but she couldn’t help but feel she was being watched. She was likely simply paranoid but it was probably safer if she didn’t spend more time here than absolutely necessary tonight.

“Look after Mum and Auntie Ago,” Hotaru told the grave with mock sternness. “And if you have time check in on Kuren and Ashi, I don’t think Mugen Sensei is enough to keep them out of trouble by himself. Anyway, this is goodbye for now, maybe for a long time, we’ll see,”

With that Hotaru turned and left her Father’s grave, heading towards the village walls.

The village was practically deserted at this time of night, especially so close to the wall. Hotaru had made good progress so far, using her moths to avoid crossing paths with anyone. Most of the activity seemed centered around the clan compounds but Hotaru pulled up suddenly as she picked up a solitary chakra signature nearby.

Who would be out alone at this time of night Hotaru wondered, realising as she hid behind a corner to watch the person’s approach that the thought was a little hypocritical. Still, it seemed unlikely that someone else was planning the same thing as her.

There was a long silence before Yukari’s voice came from nearby, “you can come out, Hotaru.”

“Oh Yukari,” Hotaru said lightly, trying very hard to sound relieved and not guilty. Of course she had to run into one of the few people who could see her hiding through cover. “I didn’t realize it was you,” Hotaru said warmly as she moved to cover the distance between them. “You’re out late,”

A faint smile painted Yukari’s face, “So are you.” Her gaze flickered to the bag hanging off Hotaru’s shoulder before look back at her. “Going somewhere?”

“Been somewhere,” Hotaru said smoothly, allowing herself a guilty smile. “I was visiting my Father’s grave, which I’m strictly speaking not allowed to do but nobody else really tends to it,”

Green eyes locked onto Yukari’s pale, featureless ones, searching for any trace of suspicion. If Yukari bothered to use her Byakugan to look inside Hotaru’s bag then the situation would deteriorate beyond her ability to bluff, you didn’t need travelling supplies to visit a grave after all. But there was no reason for Yukari to go that far. Was there?

“Mmm, clan drama. I’m a little too familiar with that.”

“It’s true what they say you can’t pick your family,” said Hotaru ruefully, holding up her hands and shrugging. “So what about you? Just out for a breath of fresh air?”

“Yeah, hard to come by when you’re a prisoner of your own home.”

“You look like you could use it,” Hotaru said sympathetically. “You look a little grey, maybe something you ate?”

Yukari tilted her head slightly, “Stress, probably.”

“Probably, Although I don’t know that stress would make your eyes any greyer. Yukari.”

A smirk tugged at the Hyuuga’s lips. “Seems he was right, you are a sharp one.”

Hotaru smiled sweetly in response. “I’m pretty much a genius yes. More importantly it seems like we have a mutual acquaintance,”

“So it would seem,” Yukari folded her arms in front of her, “I was supposed to pay you a visit prior to the Hyuuga. But… an associate put the entire village on alert.” Another glance at the bag, “though it appears you’ve already reached an answer.”

“In that case I’m glad I caught you here, I’d rather not get my Mother involved in this,” Hotaru turned to look over her shoulder one last time before facing “Yukari” “But yes, I’ve decided what I need to do, I’m coming with you,”

“Then we best be going.”

KageYuuki KageYuuki

Gou Uchiha
Four. Four more ninja had disappeared from their village yesterday. Gou had barely stepped into his office when he was bombarded by enraged Hyuuga. Koma likely would have found the irony in their anger amusing. He pulled off his glasses to rub his tired eyes.

A ninja burst into the Hokage's room, carrying a letter. "Lord Hokage! We've got a letter, from Umichi, your former student. She said its urgent, then disappeared. I- I, er... I'll just leave it right here." The man placed it at the Hokage's desk, and backed away slowly.

Gou quirked an eyebrow, putting his glasses back on before picking up the envelope. The letter was stamped with a lipsticked kiss, and sealed simply. It read:

So, old man, how's the village doing? Hope you're doing better, and eyesight as well. We're doing pretty well. Figured you might want an update on what I've been doing.

Alright, so you know the group that attacked us and the Leaf is called Yoake, right? Well, its really two people, six Bijuu, and the Akai Kyodai. Kurou Akechi, as you know, is one. I did some research by finding files on him from nearby villages 30 years ago. The mist was extremely 'helpful', or they were once I had a bit of fun. His father was the village leader. He had a mentor, called Daisuke Uzumaki. Apparently, the two had run into tailed beast without getting hurt before.

Didn't seem to get too much from that, so I pretended to have a sage artifact for a bit. They sent Akai Kyodai after me. Seems they are just in it for the money, none of them knew much about it, other than the fact they've been getting weathly lately. Their boss's name is Ko Amatsu. She's stronger than I am, probably also kage level. They all are afraid of her. Got some info to ambush another lot. This is where things get interesting. The group was on their way to deliver a ninja who had been bought from a coliseum. The ninja had a kekkei genkai, but was called a 'failure'. Apparently, Daisuke, the other one from the invasion, makes money on the side by forcing his experiments to fight in a coliseum. He's seldom there, but he is there from time to time. I'd go, but I think they're catching on to me. So, I've enclosed the money to commission an A-ranked mission that will require a few jonin and several younger ones. Send them to the coliseum in the Land of Tea. It's a 43.82, -111.79. Have them enter, and see what information they can find.

In other news, the names of the Bijuu that Kurou has yet to find:

Three Tails
Eight Tails
Nine Tails

I think he's planning something around the Stone Village, keep an eye out.

By the way, we've decided to adopt. Poor thing's traumatized from having to fight so much.

Love,
Umichi

P.S. Tell Ayame I say hi. If you really need me, here's my card.

Attached to the letter was a check for the exact cost of an A-ranked Mission, and an odd seal, signed in blood. Gou sighed, so she was still keeping up the story of her and Mako having run off? Was that why she didn't deliver the information to him in person? He shook his head, now wasn't the time to dwell on those matters.

He had a mission to organize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kimiwriter Kimiwriter Misumi Sarutobi & Sei Teshima
Morning After the Kidnappings

Misumi, completely oblivious to the goings on the night before, woke up shortly after the sun started to shine through her window. She waved a hand in front of her mouth as she yawned, then stretched her arms into the air, and began her usual morning routine; she got dressed, brushed her hair, and started to eat the breakfast that her mother had prepared. She waved goodbye to her mother as she left for her teaching job at the Academy.

Soon after her mother left, it was time for Misumi to get her day started as well. She grabbed her ninja tools and started to walk toward the front door; she briefly paused in the hallway to look at a picture of her father, who was currently away doing Anbu things. “Bye, Dad.” She said to the picture before leaving her house.

The plan for today was to visit Yukari and see how she was holding up while under Hyuuga “house arrest.” Although the Hyuuga compound wouldn’t be her first stop. Currently she was walking toward Sei’s house so that the two of them could visit their teammate together. Once completing the walk to Sei’s, Misumi knocked on the front door and waited for Sei or one of her relatives to answer the door.

It was Sei’s grandmother who answered the door. She lifted an eyebrow at the young ninja who appeared on the doorstep so early in the morning. “Yes?” Normally the medical staff sent a message when they needed new supplies, then someone from the Teshima family would deliver it to the hospital, which meant this young woman was here for something else. “Are you looking for remedies or something else?” She already suspected the answer.

“Good morning,” Misumi replied with a respectful bow. “I’m looking for Sei. We’re going to visit our friend, Yukari, together. Is she sleeping?” she asked. The thought that maybe she was too early had just crossed her mind.

Crossing her arms, the Teshima matriarch studied her. If they were just visiting a friend then it might not be too bad but Sei had lied about where she was going before. Would she stoop to having others lie for her? “Come in. Sei is in the back garden.” Motioning for the ninja to follow her, she led the way through the house. The door to the garden was open, looking out at the herbs and flowers with a glass greenhouse resting at the far end of the yard.

Sei knelt among the flowers, carefully inspecting the plants before trimming a few and setting them in a small basket.

“Sei.”
She jumped and looked up from her work, her eyes widening at the sight of Misumi standing beside her grandmother.

“Thank you,” Misumi said with a small bow before she started to follow Sei’s grandmother. “Greetings, Sei,” she said with a friendly wave to her teammate. She flashed a smile at her friend, but it quickly faded away as the surprised look on Sei’s face registered into her mind. “I’m early aren’t I…” she stated, looking like she’d done something wrong.

Maybe she was being a bit over eager to visit Yukari, but their Hyuuga teammate wanted the Squad to hang out more. She just wanted to do her part to make sure it happened.

“If you’re in the middle of something, would you like some help finishing up?” Misumi asked.

“Oh, no, I lost track of time.” Gathering her things, Sei brought the basket to the house, quickly separating the flowers from the herbs. She avoided her grandmother’s gaze. “I’ll be back later.” She took Misumi’s arm and pulled her towards the door.

Once they were outside, she gave her teammate an apologetic look. “Sorry. I was planning on meeting you at the door.” She bound the flowers with a piece of twine to make a small bouquet. “Sorry if my grandmother . . . said anything. She doesn’t approve of kids being shinobi.”

“Don’t worry about it. She didn’t say anything about shinobi; even if she did, I wouldn’t allow it to discourage me. She’s just worried about us kids, you most of all,” Misumi replied. “She loves you, Sei. No matter how harsh she might be toward the idea of the three of us becoming shinobi, don’t forget that.”

“I think Yukari will appreciate the flowers,” she added, changing the topic. She continued to walk alongside Sei toward the Hyuuga compound, still oblivious to what had happened last night.

Sei shrugged and fiddled with the stems. She wasn’t sure how Yukari would react. “I’m hoping it’ll help . . . smooth things over.”

The Hyuuga compound seemed even more tense than the last time they visited. Sei frowned. “Yukari knows we’re coming, right?”

“I thought it would be nice to try to surprise her,” Misumi replied, emphasizing the word ‘try’. The Byakugan’s wide range of vision made it easier to spot people. “At this point, I bet she already knows that we’re here.”

Misumi outstretched a hand to knock on the front door, but expected the door to swing open before she could and was prepared to suddenly stop her hand mid-knock if it opened.

The gate to the clan’s compound opened after a single knock, a lithe man looking out at the pair. “Can I… help you?”

Sei didn’t recognize him but then again, she hadn’t seen many of the Hyuugas before. “Good morning, sir,” She offered him a polite bow. “We’re Yukari’s teammates, Sei and Misumi. We’d like to see Yukari, please.”

The man regarded them with disinterest, “I’m afraid Lady Yukari is busy right now and cannot receive guests.”

“Oh.” Sei hesitated. It wasn’t out of the question; maybe Yukari had lessons or something. “Well . . . when would be a good time to come back?”

“It isn’t my place to say, now if you’ll excuse me…” he took a step back and closed the gate.

“Wait, sir,” Misumi called out, pushing a hand against the gate to keep it open a crack. “I’d hate to be a bother, but could you deliver these flowers to Yukari’s room with a note letting her know we were here and would like to visit her when she’s available?” she asked, motioning to Sei’s flowers. “We’d really appreciate it,” she added with a bow.

The Hyuuga ignored her and continued on his way.

Misumi arched an eyebrow and pulled out one of her fans. She opened it up and started to fan herself, keeping it in front of her mouth. She couldn’t help thinking that the Hyuuga man was being rude by ignoring them.

“That’s odd…,” she said softly to Sei. “Do you think the Hyuuga Clan doesn’t want Yukari hanging around us anymore?”

“Maybe. We’re just bothersome flies to them,”
Sei wasn’t sure where her bitterness towards the Hyuuga came from. Besides Yukari, she’d never really interacted with them. Was it her outsider mentality getting in the way again. “But you’d think they’d still be polite. They have a reputation to keep.” She fell silent. What could they do? Just leave and try again later or would it be better to try again? Her hand traveled up to her earring. If they couldn’t see Yukari, maybe they could at least tell her they were outside.

“Come on,” she motioned for Misumi to follow her down the street, away from the compound. They didn’t want a Hyuuga member to catch them. Once a safe distance away, Sei touched her earring again. “Yukari? It’s Sei and Misumi; can you hear us?”

“Call all you want, she won’t hear you, nyah.” A familiar voice called out as Hikari limped around the corner, bandages wrapped around her side. ”Busy, nyah? I’ve heard far better lies before.”

Sei lowered her hand and glanced at Misumi. “What do you mean?” Not again. She didn’t want to lose another teammate. “It . . . It’s not because of what I said before, is it?”

The yokai’s tail flicked, “Stupid kitten, there are lives on the line and the only thing you can think of is some petty argument?”

“Lives? What are you talking about?”

“Did the Hyuuga send her off on a mission?” Misumi asked. “Or…” She fanned herself as she thought of something worse. “Has she been kidnapped and the Hyuuga want to deal with it themselves?” she hoped she was wrong; however with lives on the line, she’d much rather assume the worst and be wrong instead of thinking everything was fine when it really wasn’t.

“At least one of you can think, nyah,” the yokai muttered, “her and several others were taken from the village last night.”

Sei frowned but decided against defending herself to the cat. “Taken by who? The Hyuuga would have noticed an intruder and Yukari is more than capable of holding her own against kidnappers.”

Hikari hissed, “did you not listen to Koma’s warning? The same ones that nearly destroyed this village and wiped out the Mist.”

“What?” Flashbacks to the fight with the Mist ninja sent shivers through her. The thought of dealing with that again, all that destruction, terrified her. But yukari was in danger. How the hell did they take her?

Sei looked back at the Hyuuga compound and then at Misumi. “We need to find Koma-sensei.”

shadowdude505 shadowdude505 KageYuuki KageYuuki

Misumi Sarutobi

Misumi nodded and started run toward Koma's house with Sei. "Hold it, you two!" an authoritative voice yelled moments later. Misumi skidded to a halt and turned toward the voice. She expected to see a Hyuuga trying to stop them from digging into the Yukari situation, instead she saw a Leaf shinobi with average looking eyes running toward them. The ninja stopped running once he reached the two girls and pulled out a scroll. He eyeballed it for a second and looked at the girls again before rolling the scroll back up.

"Sei Teshima, Misumi Sarutobi. You two have been summoned by the Hokage," the man explained, holding out two small scrolls with the Hokage's seal. The contents of the scroll itself was similar to what the shinobi had just told the young ninjas.

Misumi grabbed the scroll with her name on it and politely bowed toward the messenger. "Message received. We'll head there right away." The messenger gave a quick nod before running off, presumably to look for others that had been summoned.

"Do you think this has anything to do with what happened to Yukari?" she quietly asked Sei. Misumi didn't quite know what to expect, but it was possible that the summons and the kidnapping of Yukari were connected. If they were not connected, there was still a good chance Koma-Sensei would be there.

"Let's go," Misumi said with a determined tone, before running toward the Hokage's office.

Kimiwriter Kimiwriter

Hideki Ukita
He got the message, loud and clear, but he sure as hell wasn't taken by surprise by it. he had been stewing over his missing teammates for awhile, what that woman, the self proclaimed aunt of his said. The young man had his gear ready, his mind settled, and several gods already prayed to he was well on his way to the Hokage's office... He... had nothing else to really say or think of on the matter, his teammates were stolen from him, and he wasn't there to protect them or give support... Even if they were chuunin, they were his friends right?

Gone, in but a single night...

He wanted to be part of the squad who would be saving them, he had to be, not because he was their teammate but he had a job as a friend. And no good friend allows those pieces of shit to lay a single finger on them without facing his full fury.

By the gods in heaven or his own power he will see them dead.

He was growing like no other in his generation... He would surpass and become a god in the eyes of those who fall behind, to his friends he will be a kindly god, but for his enemies he shall harbor nothing but vengeance! For dareing to cross his path!

He paused for a moment to consider himself, when did he get so... Brooding? Who was he? A Uchiha? No... He was... Well.... He.. didn't quite know what he was now...

Best he get to the office.

Ashi and kuren
Kuren was busy setting up for Ashi and his training season today. It was the first time he has had anyone over his clan’s compound. He set up some training dummies, and set weights out. He also made sure to have plenty of water and snacks for both of them. Once he doubled checked everything he let out a sigh and went inside to see if his grandfather or mother were home. As he wandered around the home, he realized that no one was home like usual.

Ashi’s feet pushed off the ground as she dashed through the village on all fours as she tended to do trying to be quick. Wearing her ninja gear she seemed ready for training, outside the large slab of cooked meat that she was holding in her mouth as she heading to see Kuren at his clan’s compound. She jumped forward arriving at where she was suppose to meet him… or at least the vague area of the clan. Truthfully she couldn’t really remember what exactly he had said.

She stood herself up straight, keeping the piece of meat locked in her jaws not even thinking much about simply holding it as she looked around. Hey, anyone here? Her voice came out...at least would of came out if it wasn’t for the food in her mouth making it come off much more muffled and incoherent

Kuren had made his way to the roof of his room when he was alert to sound. He smirk and knew that the only person that could be was ashi. He jumped down from the roof and made his way over to her. “Ashi, over here! I know my clans compound is a bit out of the way. Plus i know things are a bit tense because of the kidnapping.” Kuren held his silence wanting to bring up hotaru’s disappearance but he was sure how. “Come on let get started. After all we both need to get better since I am a target.”

Ashi looked toward Kuren, nodding her head. She pulled the piece of food from her mouth as she walked forward trying to act carefree. “Yeah yeah, I got it I got it.” She spoke trying to be dismissive of his words, mostly out of a sense of uneasy about everything that happened with it made that much worse with Hotaru somehow vanishing. She walked forward slipping the food she had into her pack a bit haphazardly finally taking a moment to settle down.

“So whatare we gunna do? A rough and tumble spar? Some crazy training thingy pushing our bodies ot their limit? Practicing some ninjutsu? Throwing practice? Team… work…” She muttered as she seemed a bit hesitant to mention that as it was coming out of her mouth glancing away avoiding eye contact as if out of a sense of guilt for bringing it up herself always being one to try and act tough like she didn’t need anyone else.

“Obviously only cause you are helpless without me, I don’t need that kind of stuff!” She barked out as if in some form of defiance in order to try and hide that she was even willing to bring it up herself as she blushed very lightly trying to act tough.

Kuren mouth twitch into a small smile when he heard Ashli talk about teamwork. It’s not something that she would wanted to practice when they first became a team. “I set up a training area in the back plus some snacks. I was thinking we could work on some combinations but also I want to work on tracking.”

It seems like slowing team 7 has been falling apart and Kuren wanted to make sure they were still able to function as a team. Plus team bonding never hurt anyone. He open the door for the main house and didn’t waste time waiting for Ashi. It seem pretty simple and oddly silent and lonely. “By the way forgot to ask if there was anything you been wanting to work on?” He stop right before heading out to the backyard area. He picked up his tessen and turned around to make sure Ashi didn’t get lost.

“The only thing I need to work on is making stuff hurt more when I hit em!” She spoke punching her hand lightly into her open palm as she grinned wildly seeming to show a bit of excitement trying to push aside any lingering thoughts about their missing teammate. She felt better trying to push away from such thoughts, even if it meant letting them fester deep inside her instead.

Kuren nodded “ok well i have water and snacks for us as well. There are a few things we need to work on but more importantly we need to rework our teamwork because we are down a member.” kuren led them to the the training ground. The training dummies were set up all around and the field was pretty well maintain.

“First thing first. Here tell how this smells.” kuren throws a vial to ashi with a specialized liquid made from fungal enzymes. Kuren tried to make it as distinctive as possible by adding bitter and sweet scents.

Ashi caught the vial, looking at it a bit puzzled. She lifted it up, twirling it in her hands to look at the strange liquid. “Smells?” She softly repeated a bit puzzled. She leaned in sniffing with her nose. She cringed a bit looking quite puzzled by the smell as her nose twitched.

“Wh… what the heck is that suppose to be? Is that suppose to be some kinda food?” She asked puzzled as she wiggled her nose trying to give another sniff at it uncertain whether to be attracted to the smell or to be repelled by it. It was far from a rancid smell but it had a strange bitter tinge to it that tickled her nose a bit.

“Its something i been working on to help us have a better way to track people. Consider it a way for you to use dynamic marking. Plus depending on how we use it we can have better a better field of vision.” kuren then dug out two other viles.

“Now that parts out of the way. Let work on some sparring and training.” kuren had a glinit in his eye because he had some things his been wanting to work on.

“Dynamic marking?” She repeated a bit surprised to hear a non clan member say it. She suddenly blushed a bit flailing her arms looking at him a bit feisty. “D… do you even know what that is? You better not cuz if you do and your trying to say I do something like that I’ll beat you for that!” She spoke lifting her fist seeming a good even balance of embarrassed and feisty about it.

“Whatever… I got it… it does stick out as a smell, though don’cha go expecting me to act like your own personal dog or something. Alright lets get to training stuff I guess.” She added in a bit as she seemed to of settled down a bit.

That’s when kuren got a look of realization on his face. “Crap! With everything going on i forgot about the meeting with the hokage!”

“Meeting with the Hokage?” She repeated, looking a bit puzzled scratching at her chin a bit looking towards him. She had received a message about it, but being the absent minded girl she could be she had completely missed it. She had been much more absorbed with the notion of training and the tasty meat the one vendor was selling on her way there to really think about looking at her message.

“Yes...im pretty sure we were both summoned to the hokage’s office. I can’t believe i forgot about it!” kuren typically forgot such important details but more importantly he was use to being at meeting on time or early. “Let get going, we are probably going to be late now. On the way we can talk about something i had planned for us to work on and if you have any input you can add it then. By the way, i made pastries in the kitchen so go ahead and help yourself while i get ready.” kuren quickly ran into his room to grab a few thing and ran out. “Come on ashi lets go!”

Ashi looked towards Kuren simply nodding her head lightly. She waited for him deciding against the pastries. Sweets were nice but for her it always had to be only after she had a good bit of meat first! She watched as Kuren came out as she huffed a little bit.

“Took ya’ long enough!” She spoke as if to make it a bigger deal then she really considered it to be. Truthfully she didn’t mind waiting at all, it wasn’t as if he left her there that long. “Alright! Let’s go see what the Hokage has to say. Better not be some dumb boring mission or something.” She whined a bit, putting up her typical feisty demeanor though in truth she was hoping perhaps there would be at least some word on Hotaru… among other things.

Kuren couldn’t help but smirk at Ashi’s feisty response. At this point they both gotten use to each other and know how to deal with each other personalities. Kuren chooses not to comment on ashi’s replies instead he lets a comfortable silence stay between as they move in sync to the hokage. Kuren hopes that the hokage had summoned them to let them know the whereabouts of hotaru and possible a mission to save their teammate. Hanarei Hanarei

Nagisa Kanazawa & Katsumi Nonoba

A Lying Game. Pt. 1

“I’m gonna be honest, I wasn’t completely expecting you to turn up,” Nagisa said wryly, opening the door to her apartment fully and letting Katsumi in. Nagisa’s apartment was fairly spartan, although it was clean and neat the furniture was clearly worn and not all that high quality to begin with. There weren’t many personal touches, except for a sturdy looking work bench covered in tools and a partially constructed prosthetic arm and, peeking out of the bedroom, a small pile of dolls and soft toys, most of them in various states of disrepair

“Anyway, come in,” Nagisa said, leading Katsumi to a small coffee table and firmly closing her bedroom door “I’m gonna try and teach you how to lie, it might be a lost cause but with that seal Nobu put on you you’re going to end up dead unless we try something so, lemme see what you got,”

Nagisa sat down on the opposite side of the coffee table. “What exactly do you think makes a convincing lie?”

Katsumi didn’t look around Nagisa’s home much when she entered. She just noted the workbench, the unfinished arm, and a few cute little toys peeking at her from Nagisa’s bedroom.

“Uh-um… something that is believable right?” Katsumi answered, tapping the coffee table nervously. It was like she had an explosive tag primed to go off at any moment on her neck.

“Well...yes believable and convincing are synonyms well done,” Nagisa pinched the bridge of her nose and looked exasperated. This was going to be an ordeal, she could feel it. “But what makes one lie more believable than another?” Nagisa held up three fingers and ticked them off one by one.

“Performance, Believability and Empathy. Performance is acting, conveying emotions that support your story and not behaving in a way that gives your target reasons to be suspicious. Believability is the nuts and bolts, logic side of lying, it’s constructing a story that is internally consistent and doesn’t contradict anything you know or suspect that your target knows. The bad news is that you suck at both of those, the good news is that the last one is the most important anyway. Empathy is understanding the person you’re lying to and adapting your strategy to their personality and its usually the determining factor in whether someone buys your story or not, are you following me so far?”

Katsumi nodded. “Yea! So I just have to be a good actor like the people in the plays are, right? I’m pretty good at understanding people too! But, I guess you’re right about me not being very creative…” Katsumi rubbed the back of her head for a moment. “W-why do I have to be in disguise and lie if I’m in a cave though?”

“You have to actually make it to the cave dummy,” Nagisa said. “And that… weird, blood thing you do might make you a target for these people were up against and you’ll be a whole lot easier to track down if you go gallivanting around the country letting people know who you are. Besides this is a useful skill every shinobi should be able to manage to some extent. We’re spies and infiltrators, lying is part and parcel of that and you’re gonna get yourself in a tight spot one day if you can’t at least handle the basics of it,” Nagisa’s expression changed and she coughed deliberately. “And it would make my life a lot easier if you didn’t put your foot in it every time I tried to spin some bullshit. So let’s start with step one: Performance,”

From underneath the table Nagisa produced a deck of cheap cards and began shuffling them. “Lying is similar to acting, but there’s a key difference. Actors want to draw you into a performance, get you to think about it on a deeper level. When you’re lying you want the opposite, to not attract the attention of or to overwhelm the part of your target’s brain that asks complicated questions. The way you act, the tone of voice you take, your vocabulary, your body language, all of that should come together to make you either so unremarkable that you don’t draw the interes of your target, or so overwhelming or uncomfortable for them to deal with that they give you whatever you want to get you out of their hair.

Nagisa pulled five cards from the top of the deck and held them in front of her like a poker hand. “Let’s play a quick game to demonstrate, pick a card at random and try to guess if its red or black. If you’re right then you get to keep it, if you’re wrong then just pick another card. The catch is that I can lie to you, if you catch me in three lies then you win and I’ll buy you lunch or something. But if I get three lies past you then I win and… I dunno, I’ll get Nobushige to do something horrible to you. Ready?”

Katsumi frowned a little. “I-I don’t really want sensei to do any other horrible stuff to me b-but I’ll try!” Katsumi adjusted herself in her seat, sitting up straighter. If she was to prove she was capable to Nagisa, then she’d truly have to try her hardest! Katsumi pointed to the middle card. “This one is red!”

“Huh? Oh, yeah that’s right,” Nagisa said distractedly. As she handed Katsumi her card she glanced at the clock and the wall and then gestured forwards with the hand holding the cards. “One down,”

Katsumi, a bit taken aback by how nonchalant Nagisa was about it all, froze for a moment, before reaching to point at another card. “Th-th-this one is black!” Katsumi tried to say confidently. Her stutter made sure her attempt failed.

Nagisa raised an eyebrow and smirked. “You’re really going with that? Sure I mean, you’re funeral,”

Katsumi winced at Nagisa’s comment. She had to be lying! She even smirked and everything! But, what if she wasn’t lying and Nagisa was just messing with her to make her change her choice?

Katsumi visibbly shivered in her chair. “I… think…. you’re m-messing with me… it is black.”

“Not quite,” said Nagisa, flipping the card to reveal a stylised image of cherry blossoms. One by one she flipped her over cards around to display hanafuda cards instead of the ordinary playing cards Katsumi might have been expecting.

“One more thing to keep in mind,” Nagisa said, standing up and stretching. Her cruel smirk was gone, replaced by her usual, more businesslike expression. “No matter what else, never tell the lie they’re expecting you to tell,”

Looking a little hurt emotionally, Katsumi nodded. “Alright… thanks Nagisa. I’ll do my best with everything you just taught me!”

InsaneAsylum InsaneAsylum

Gou Uchiha

Dark, tired eyes watched the shinobi file in through a set of thin framed glasses. This wasn’t exactly an optimal squad for this kind of mission. Far from it, in fact. Both the Hokage and violet-eyed jounin studied each of the chuunin as they stepped inside. Or burst in and nearly took the door down in Ashi’s case.

Hideki Ukita, easily the most experienced of the ragtag team. With a high mission completion rate, he was looking to be a very promising shinobi. Though a dark bitterness had taken root in the young man’s heart. A festering hate for those of any clan. Learning to lead with such a mindset would likely prove difficult for him.

Misumi Sarutobi, like many of her clan she seemed drawn towards fire release and solely used it. One of Koma’s students, her bond to the other world seemed to be the weakest of the trio.

Sei Teshima, another of Koma’s. Her leadership skills seemed to still be lacking, something that was preventing her from being given command in any missions.

Tsukiashi Inuzuka, a brash and short tempered girl in desperate need of learning how to use a door. Even Mai, the fieriest of the rookies, had the decency to knock and enter his office properly. The Inuzuka has one of the lowest mission success rates.

Kuren Kinoko, not much of note… Like his teammate Tsukiashi, he also holds one of the lowest success rates.

This was not an optimal team. But it would have to do.

“Since you’re all here, let’s begin.” Gou spoke in his usual level voice, “as I’m sure you’ve all been made aware by now, the group known as Yoake has been drastically increasing their activity as of late. To be able to keep their operations moving, and keep the mercenary group Akai Kyoudai in their employ, a lot of funds is needed. We’ve recently tracked down one of their sources of income, an arena in the Land of Tea. There, shinobi are pitted against one another against their wills, with the winners normally sold to the highest bidder. Between the sales and betting on fights, it’s proven to be a lucrative source of income.

“From what information we’ve been able to collect, there’s a lab attached to the arena. It’s there Daisuke Uzumaki conducts his research and experiments on kekkei genkai. The results of which make up a large majority of the arena’s combatants. Failures, as he’s deemed them.”

Gou shook his head, “Another team is already headed there as we speak. Your mission is to meet them at the coliseum, cause a distraction and disable any guards so they can break into the lab.” He sighed, “This is an A Ranked mission, you are not to divulge any of its details to anyone. But I won’t lie, there is a chance not all of you will come back alive.” He motioned to the woman that stood by his desk, “Takara Himura will be your jounin commander for this mission, you are to depart in no more than two hours. You’re dismissed.”

Orikanyo Orikanyo Kimiwriter Kimiwriter shadowdude505 shadowdude505 loyalwolf loyalwolf Hanarei Hanarei

Sei Teshima, Squad 5

Sei felt sick. Shinobi fought, that was their job, but being forced to and then sold like an animal? Was that where they took Yukari?

Once dismissed, she told Misumi she'd meet her at the village gate before sprinting home. She barged into the house, not bothering to take off her shoes before running to her room.

"Sei?" her grandmother called from the sitting room.

Ignoring her, Sei grabbed her pack and pulled out her tools, checking she had everything. Kuni, smoke bombs, the mask Koma had given her, noise makers. She returned them to her bag, arranging them for ease of access.

"Sei, what's going on?" her grandmother stood in the doorway, watching her with a frown.

"I have to go." Sei went to her desk and pulled out the pouch she kept her homemade poisons in and attached it to her belt. "I'm going to be gone a little while."

"If your sensei is sending you off to fight monsters again, I'm going to have a word with him about his disregard for--"

Grabbing her pack, Sei paused long enough to hug her grandmother. "It's not monsters this time."

Her grandmother returned the hug. "How long are you going to be gone?"

What happens if something goes wrong? Do they just kill me or would they throw me into an arena to die? Sei forced a smile. "I'm going with some good shinobi so it shouldn't take too long." She moved past her grandmother. "I need to go. Tell the others bye for me." Running through the house, she stopped in the kitchen to throw a few rations and apples into her pack before moving to the door. She took off for the village gate with her grandmother calling "I'm still going to talk with your sensei" after her.

Misumi Sarutobi & Koma

A serious expression quickly appeared on Misumi’s face as she listened to the Hokage. Forcing ninjas to fight and then selling them; where was the honor in that? Was Yukari a new victim of this insulting funding scheme? Misumi hoped not.

After the explanation, Misumi gave a determined nod. She understood the risks. This mission sounded like an important one and she was determined to treat it as serious as it deserved to be. She wouldn’t make a good Anbu if she couldn’t focus on the mission. Although that did have its downsides, like having to live with “acceptable” losses. She didn’t want any of her fellow Chunin to die.

Misumi gave Sei an acknowledging nod. The mission did take priority, it came from the Hokage’s office after all, but a part of her still wanted to inquire about Yukari’s kidnapping. If the mission and the Hyuuga’s kidnapping were linked, Misumi wanted to rescue her squadmate.

Misumi ran home and sprinted to her room. Upon entering, she jogged over to wear her ninja tool pouch was stored and started to attach it to her hip. “Koma-sensei, I need to talk to you,” she called out, hoping that whatever sixth-sense he had would make him appear. Currently she was the only person in her house, so a sudden appearance wouldn’t spook her parents.

Upon her call the odd feeling one would recognise from her past dealings with the otherworldly began to surge forth again. A nearby cupboard began to rattle, shake and then suddenly… it opened all on it’s own!

Within the cupboard was….

Nothing.

But a few seconds late her sensei did come out of the bathroom. “You called Misumi?” asked the man looked the girl over. “Almost ready to go it seems, need something from your sensei?”

Even though she was anticipating her sensei’s arrival, his sudden, showy appearance still caused her to flinch. “Aye sensei,” she replied. “I’m sure you’re aware that Yukari is missing. Sei and I were going to ask you about it, until this new mission from the Hokage popped up. I was wondering if the two incidents are related and what we’re walking into. I….,” her voice trailed off. “I don’t want to be the one who messes up the mission. There’s too much at stake as is.”

“That's all? Honestly you can see how much the Hyuuga are in a huff to get your answer. Yes, Yukari Hyuuga has indeed been taken.I’ve been scouring as much as I can to find leads, and let me tell you these guys made trails, it’s as if they were confident enough nobody could stop them that they took the most direct approach possible.

Though not for Yukari’s case.. So maybe some in the group have some stealth abilities.”
the man mused for a moment as he looked around for a second.

“As for the mission… In truth.. I know precious little about the Kyodai, their led by a woman who is considered one of the most dangerous criminals in the world, boasts an immense cast of oddities and ninja. But they are just the grunts, big, scary grunts but that's as it is.

It’s your job in this mission to bring down a colloseum of sorts, that means you must fight to the bets of your ability. And I will tell you now, you must do the best you can, this reeks of things no man or woman should have to deal with, unnatural and unholy things, and thats saying something coming from me.”
the man crossed his arms, his staff standing upright on it’s own.

“Best bring the greatest firepower you got to this, and watch for your allies. This mission will need to you kill to see the end of it, keep yourself steeled for anything.” he finished off, waiting for anything else Misumi needed.

Misumi drew one of her fans and twirled in between her fingers. “I will sensei,” she replied, taking a battle pose with her weapon fanned open. “This mission will bring out the inner Anbu in me, I can promise you that,” she added with a fire in her eyes.

Misumi put her fan back into its holster and respectfully bowed toward Koma. “Thanks for the info. I should get going now.” With that said, Misumi began to double check that she had all of her gear before beginning to make her way out of the house and toward the village gate.

Koma watched the young lady leave and let out a sigh. “...Kids these days… So dramatic. Whats a little danger now and then eh?” the man walked back into the washroom and closed the door.

COLISEUM ARC FINISH

KageYuuki KageYuuki Orikanyo Orikanyo InsaneAsylum InsaneAsylum Hanarei Hanarei Kimiwriter Kimiwriter AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy

Standing outside the cavern, a very rough Nobushige waited for the groups. His bandages had been removed from his mouth, and used in actual injuries, meaning the zombie mouth and neck was very much visible as he looked out on those who came out. He eyed Takara in particular. The jonin also looked roughed up. Yet all the chunnin were very much alive. The only one who didn't looked messed up at all was Koma and his daughter. What the hell was that man made of? Closer inspection showed Katsumi was also fine. Tch.

Shaking his head, he walked forward.

"Look, I ain't the squad leader of most of you, but everyone of you should be dead. Damn good job. We got a few miles before I'd say we're safe, but honestly, hard parts over. Let's go home and take a nice long rest, you've earned it. Move out."

Motioning for everyone to move as fast as they could, he fell back to his squad, motioning to Katsumi he was about to seal her and Yuuki away so she could work on him without the travel disrupting them. They could still hear him, however.

"I have to say, didn't think you lot in particular would be much. This was a job they'd normally use ANBU for. And even then, they'd probably mess it up. Congrats. Don't let it get to your heads though, your still a bunch of idiots. If you'd fought anyone else, they likely could have done far worse. We still have to make sure Yuuki lives through this. I remmeber a pair of assassins that messed up once with the man who ran that coliseum. They don't look too pretty now."

Shaking his head, he looked around.

"I've got to check on the rest of the squads. Nagisa, consider a night of food and whatever you want on me. I don't think this mission pays enough. Clarification, no investiments, no gold bars, and it has to be fun. Freakin' miser."

He smirked... or at least that's what it would have looked like if he had most of the muscles in his face left. Falling back to Takara, he looked around at her brats.

"Doesn't look like you had an easy time either. Enjoying being Jonin yet? I gotta ask, what the hell was that formation back there? It worked, I'm just wondering what it was. Like... What kind of team formation exercises do you do, exactly? "

“Hilarious,” Takara said flatly, “and only one of them’s mine. Two were Makorama’s and the other two are Koma’s.”

"Somehow.... that's explains alot."

A dry laugh, “not that it excuses losing one of them. Even if we should have lost more than that.” She glanced over at him, “How about your Uchiha?”

"Prepared like chopped Sushimi. To be honest, none of them should be alive right now. We shouldn't be this lucky, it... bothers me. Doesn't look like any actual casualties on either end though, mine or yours. Uchiha brat should live, long as we can get him to Ayami, and soon. "

“So I’m not the only one that feels this was too easy... Let’s get a move on, then. I wanna get this place far behind us.”

Nobushige looked at Koma, then shook his head. He'd had enough headaches for one day. The man was unscathed. WHAT was he? Nobushige would never know. Still, he felt a smidgeon of pride for his students, the other jonin had to feel the same. They HAD done well all things considered.

===================

The trip back to the Leaf managed to be a safe one. The chaos inside the coliseum was enough that actually tracking down the cause of it was impossible. It didn't stop the Jonin from being vigilant the entire time, and many of the chunnin as well.

Once inside the village gate, the group was allowed to seperate into their homes, dropped off one by one by the group. Part of the reason was to prevent any escapes from those that did not belong to the Leaf that they had picked up. Many of the experiments that were saved had been from other villages.

Of the injured, Yuuki was left in hospital care for weeks, his injuries had been pretty severe. Nobushige rolled his eyes at the lecture he got from Ayami, the head village medic nin, but waited outside his room for much of it. Nagisa took relatively little time to fix her broken ribs and replace her hand. Sei was warned her shoulder would recover slowly, and was given orders to rest at her grandmother's home, and careful not to aggrevate it further until it healed.

The experiments, Mai, Yukari, Aiko and others were all given extensive medical examinations. Mai was released quickly, her arms damaged, she was told she'd likely lost grip strength permanently. Mai stayed quiet about her apparent Kekkei Genkai. Yukari's loss of the Byakugan was also permanent, there being no way to return it really. She was told she'd likely have to give up ninja life, though she didn't seem to take it to heart. Aiko had no damage done to her, but none of the medic nin could figure out how to help her control her Kekkei Genkai. Rooms around her became cold, and she had to be sent back to her house for the safety of other residents. Even during hot summer days, around her continually was like a freezer. Not so subtely it was suggested to her to find someone with experience with her Kekkei Genkai to see what could be done, even if relations with

Overall, everyone had at least received some scraps for their accomplishment.

The chunnin were given a long period to rest and recuperate. News papers and stories started to appear that due to the coliseum incident, many of Akai Kyodai's activities had quieted, as their funds had been hit... hard.

The chunnin would have a year to further prove themselves and grow. The fact they had all come from the same graduating class, a name started to be made for the group, the Senko, or the warchildren. Many excitedly watched them to see what they would do next. A group of young chunnin, who had all completed what should have been an S-ranked assigment, without casualty certainly caught everyone's eyes.

(One year timeskip, take personal missions. Try to take at least one. We'll be opening up to new people now)

-----------------------------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Back