The University

Paper Heart

Ah, admissions. Ah, the beginning of another term.

This being Silvyn's third term attending the University, he was mostly prepared for the admissions madness. He headed outside, leaving his dormitory for the sunny courtyards that led into the main square. Here, the drawings for admissions slots would be held. Seeing the sun was peaking over the tiled roofs, he shed his cloak and unbuttoned the top button of his shirt. It was a hotter day than he'd presumed, and weather as good as this made for the perfect conditions for a trip across the river to Imre ... He's keep that in mind, perhaps he's go over that evening.

At that moment, however, he got in line to draw his slot and forgot about everything else. He hoped he drew a decent slot, although he wasn't afraid of having a high tuition. He could afford it. And he was intelligent, and had spent the entirety of the last three days studying in the Archives, so he wasn't afraid that he'd botch them too badly. But this was always an anxious time, new students coming in, new friends and enemies to be made. All the like ...

Silvyn worried his lip, looking about for familiar faces in the crowd as they gathered around and split into the lines.

Eleyi huffed a breath of agitation. Too many people, too little space. Instead of the square, he headed for the Artificery. Perhaps he could start on the plans to a new project before the square emptied out so he could fetch his slot. He would take his sweet time, although he was inwardly anxious about the cost of his admissions this year. He was a Re'lar, and his coinpurse would show for it after admissions were over. Also, he was not wealthy like many of the students. He mostly provided for himself, though his parents were his crutch if he was in dire straights. Also, he only took a few selective classes and was virtually unprepared for the questions that would come from Masters whose classes he hadn't taken. Banishing those thoughts from his head, he walked the edge of the square and slipped into the wide street that lead to the Artificery.

Before Eleyi could get there, however, he saw a group of people he'd never seen at the University before. That didn't necessarily mean they hadn't attended the Arcanum for any term prior - Eleyi wasn't much of a social butterfly - but they caught his eye and he halted for a moment, contemplating the urge to go over and speak to them.

Jharni grinned, loving the sun and the bustle of it all. She knew many people who detested and feared admissions, but she thought this had to be one of her favorite times of the year. The weather was brilliant and there was so much excitement. Newcomers from all over the Four Corners of civilization, the prospect of new adventures and new friendships, start of classes, and everything else. She was faithful in her ability to ace the admissions, but the cost did worry her. She was poor. She wouldn't lie about that, couldn't lie to herself. She would have to work extra hard and limit her want to splurge on unnecessary things like a new bow for her old viol or paper and ink or a new dress for summer. The one she wore now was her second best, out of the three she owned. It was yellow and dainty, and it billowed prettily when she skipped. It was relatively short, though, so she kept the skipping to a minimum.

As she stepped into the square, she had to squeeze through the crowd. She was little so it was easy, and she stopped paying attention to all the people around her, focusing on the line she was trying to get into when she walked straight into someone, someone she'd never met.

Kira waited in the square. The hustle and bustle was unsettling, but she knew that this was an important time and that she needed to be here. She wished it weren't so crowded, but that couldn't be helped. She was poor and hoped that she wouldn't have to pay too much. Plus she took only a few classes to try to lower her costs.

She was still in that same spot when someone bumped into her. She looked over to see a girl in a yellow dress.

((sorry it's so short, it would have been longer if I knew more about the actual area and process, etc.))

Sighlee took slow steps and even breaths as she made her way to the square. This was the moment she had been dreading-- Admissions. She was unsure how the process went, or if she would do well, all she knew was that the very idea of how important this was filled her veins with ice-water. "Deep breaths, don't worry, you'll do fine, you'll do fine, you'll do fine." She chanted over and over under her breath as she entered the huge crowd of people. "You'll do fine, you'll do fine, you'll do fine!" She kept her eyes on the ground as she walked, she knew she was lying to herself. she was horrible in school, she would most definitely not do fine. Not at all.

She maneuvered her way through the mob, wishing she had made a better outfit choice. She wore a traditional gown that her mother had said would bring her luck; So far all it had brought her was tripping as four or five people in a row stepped on the silken hem. She reached back to tug the hem free from under some mans shoe as she continued to walk, not looking ahead, which was a poor idea on her part. She pulled her dress free then turned forward just in time to come face-to-chest with a tall boy with shortish blonde hair.(Silvyn)

"I am so sorry!" She apologized quickly, her topaz eyes growing wide. Great, Sighlee. This year is of to a perfect ​start!

Jharni stumbled a bit, her eyes widening. "Oh, ah-! My fault!" She laughed nervously, apologetically. "So sorry, I just ... Heh. Well, I wasn't looking where I was going, was I?" Jharni stepped back and got a look at the girl. She extended her hand for the girl to shake, grinning widely. "I'm Jharni. What's your name? I don't think I've ever seen you about before."

Silvyn gave a partly startled smile, catching the Adem girl's elbow gently as she tugged her gown hem away from a passerby, steadying her. "No, no, you're perfectly fine," he said hastily with a wider smile. He was unused to speaking to girls, even if it was in a casual setting. "'M Silvyn. Er, Silvyn Anderbridge. Wow - are you from Ademre? That's a long ways away." He realized he was still barely touching her elbow and let her go with a small, apologetic smile. He let her step in front of him in the line, getting her out of the worst of the crowd.

"Thank you, Silvyn." She smiled up at him. She was happy to be out of the thickest part of the crowd, and it seemed as though she was already making a friend-- Or at least an acquaintance. "My name is Sighlee by the way." She extended her hand to him. "And yes, I'm from Ademre. I've never been this far from home before," She added sadly. "Is this your first year at the University?"

Kira smiled at the girl. "It's not a problem at all." she said. "I'm Kira Lovewind, from Modeg. I haven't been here long... I tend to travel from place to place. So no, chances are you haven't seen me around." She gave the girl a warm smile. The yellow dress Jharni wore was quite amusing. It looked a little young for her, but still somehow suited her. Kira looked down at her own attire, an ivory dress, with a lace up ivory corset. It was lacey and traditional looking, but stopped mid-knee after flaring out in an A-line shape. Her footwear was well-worn knee high light brown boots. They were nice looking yet comfortable for walking long distances. Her long ash blonde hair was left down and slightly unkempt, splaying itself delicately across her shoulders and stopping at her waist.

Kira's grey eyes shifted back to where people were getting their slots. She looked at Jharni. "I'm not quite sure how this works, I guess. I've been to schools before but none like this. What are the slots, exactly? I had only overheard that they were terribly important..."

"Ah, yes, the slots very much are." Jharni laughed softly, ushering Kira forward. "Here, the line's almost clear just there. The student at the desk at the end of the line will let you randomly choose a tile out of the big baskets they have. On the tile is the date and time for your admissions with the Masters. You'll go to the Master's Hall to be questioned by them and if you get good scores on the questions they ask you, your admission tuition will be set at a lower price. If you do poorly, on the other hand, you'll have to pay more." She smiled and moved her head toward the direction of the line, which was dwindling. "I'll go with you and we can both draw a slot."

Silvyn shook her hand in a gentlemanly way, dipping his head to her. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Sighlee. A very pretty name." He paused, walking a few steps forward with her, closer to the end of the line. "This is my first year, yes. But it's my third term. I've been here five months already." He smiled. "So, all the way from Ademre. Wow," he said again in admiration. "This is your first term, then, I presume?"

Kira nodded as Jharni explained how everything worked. This was much different than the last place she went- the school where she had put all her efforts into Naming classes- and it was slightly confusing. But Jharni walked up with her and they got in line to pick a tile. They waited a few minutes, watching people's reactions to whatever tile they drew.

Finally they were up and Kira drew a tile first. She looked at it and took it with her when she walked away, wondering if this time and day was good or bad. She waited until Jharni drew hers and came over. "Next Tuesday at noon..." Kira asked. "Is that good or bad?"

"Yes, first term." She laughed nervously, "My father thought it would be a good idea for me to study here, he said it would help me finer tune my Sympathy skills... although I'm pretty nervous about the rest of the classes." She pulled her long purple/black hair over her shoulder to comb her fingers through it. "Because this is your third term you've taken the Admissions before. Are they really as scary as I've heard?"

Emerald eyes peered around the sunny center courtyard of the University, scanning for a hint of where to go next. Khalynne had just been directed by her father to find the admissions area, that it was important she drew for her time. The redheaded girl had pouted, and although that usually resulted with her father's response being in her favor, he had still dismissed her while unloading her belongings near the living spaces. Leaving her father with others, she wandered through the crowded pathways, eagerly taking all these new sights in. She had been in the area on a few occasions with her father, she had never been to the University itself. As she turned down what she had been told was the correct path she needed to take, a gust of wind blew her curls all over her face. Making a disgruntled noise, she quickly scolded and returned the hair to it's rightful place.

A huddle of forms near a table confirmed that she was indeed in the right area. Politely excusing herself as she walked around fellow students who were chatting, she stopped at the table, offering a smile. "Khalynne Smith. I was told I would need to draw for admissions?" she asked, hoping she had her information correct. The older student behind the desk explained the process quickly, and Khalynne drew her tile. With a thank you and nod of her head, she stepped away, allowing the next student to repeat the procedure. Looking at the tile, she gave a slightly questioning look. Maybe she had done well? Either way, at least she seemed to be blending in fairly well. Grasping the tile at her side, she leisurely walked back down the path.

Pursuing his first desire to speak to the newcomer he'd glanced at, Eleyi strode forward on long legs to speak to the fiery-headed girl. "Hello," he said, as politely as his natural disposition allowed, his accent thick. "Are you new here?" Aware of how awkward he must sound, he cleared his throat and nodded at her tile. "I saw you looked a bit confused, perhaps. D'you have questions?"

Jharni's mouth fell open slightly. "Admissions ends a week from today, next Thursday. That's a really brilliant slot!" As she'd said all of this, she had drawn her own tile. She looked at it, frowning a bit. "Ah. Mine's Monday. Not so bad ... But near as good as yours." She sighed, the gesture looking theatrical on her childlike face. "You must have great luck." Quickly, Jharni looked the new girl up and down. "So. Where are you staying?" She lead Kira out of the square into an adjoining courtyard, less crowded.

Silvyn shook his head as they walked another step forward. "Not if you know what you're talking about. And if you don't they put out shelves of books in the Archives for people to read so they can be prepared for the admissions. So you're covered as long as you remember well and study thoroughly, and don't cave when the Masters challenge you." He smiled, his gaze lingering on her hair briefly. "Sympathy is really very interesting, but so is everything else. Alchemy, in my opinion, particularly." He gave her another smile and then they stood at the front of the line. "Pick a tile and I'll tell you when your admissions meeting is," he said, enthusiastic.

(So, in the books, they have a week of eleven days, all with names we wouldn't recognize. Not even I'm familiar with them, so we won't use them. :3)

Kira smiled when she found out her good luck. She followed Jharni to a less crowded area to talk some more. "Actually, right now I'm not staying anywhere." she said. "I travel a lot, and don't have a permanent residence. If I can afford an inn, I stay in one. If not, I make do."

((Sorry it's short, I'm at work lol))

Khalynne froze as she was approached, moving the tile automatically to her chest and holding it there with crossed arms as she looked at this boy inquisitively. She instantly recognized his accent as Caeldish, a region she was familiar with. "Yes, I am new," she answered after a moment, decided he seemed fairly harmless. "And they tried to explain this to me, but I'm not sure if I'm quite getting it," she confessed, extending her arms so the tile was in his view. "You already have yours?"

Sighlee nervously grabbed a tile, "oh please be good, please be good, please be good." she murmured. Sighlee showed the tile to Silvyn. "Well?" She questioned hopefully, although she feared the worst. She really did hace horrid luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back