The Unceasing Hammer of Industry!

Kajata said:
Because it's big and good for sliiiicing  :wink:
:lol:

Speaking of Charms, I'd like to have the Polymodal Joint Bearings and Limb Extension Armatures, since I can visulise these being used to wow audiences.  As Harlequin extends his limbs, built-in lights flash. I've also thought about Martial Arts as a main combat Ability, so Perfected Lotus Matrix would be a must, with Celestial Monkey style in its memory crystals.  

~FC.

Kajata said:
Because it's big and good for sliiiicing  :wink:
Exactly! Did I mention, Unceasing Hammer of Industry needs one as well? Plus his hammer and claw fist.

In fact, make that two Grand Beamklaves, each.

btw, I was joking about Anticipatory Simulation Processor as well. No gaming group is going to let you simulate every conversation two or three times, trying out different cutting remarks each time.

Unless you menace them with your Grand Beamklaves, maybe...

Gah, Motivational Vocoder isn't appropriate for the Ashen Harlequin. I was thinking of Voice Distortion Field (122).

BurningPalm said:
Gah, Motivational Vocoder isn't appropriate for the Ashen Harlequin. I was thinking of Voice Distortion Field (122).
Heh, never noticed that Charm before.  It would fit, definitely.

~FC.

Right, I'd like to give Harlequin a Familiar, a steed of some kind, one that he can perform with to entertain, yet also act as a guardian of sorts.

I was thinking of a gorilla-type that is freakishy strong, flinging Harlequin around so he can perform death-defying acts of agilty, and with a seat upon its shoulder area so it can act as mount.  

Any ideas?

~FC.

Well, I'd try and stay away from calling it a "gorilla" type mount, due to autochthonia having no other animals than rats, but that's just my opinion :P

Yeah, I agree but I'm having difficulty in focusing on familiar without returning to an animal description.  The section on Familars doesn't help either.  

So, instead of 'gorilla', how about a mighty bipedal construct with arms that reach the ground and legs that appear to be always crouching, and a head that has been attached to the front of the torso?

~FC.

Yeah, just go with a golem style thing that looks like a moving printing press :P

I mean, it could BASICALLY be the same shape and everything, just try and refrain from calling it a gorilla or making it look like one.

I had a thought for Unceasing Hammer; instead of a crushfist/gauntlet, how about a Mulit-Limb Frame or Hyperdextrous Tentacle Apparatus?  This way, the Hammer could hold his materials with his extra limbs and have a pair of Jade Goremauls to smash away with.

Also good for health and safety reasons, stops any thing dropping onto Hammer's tootsies :P

~FC.

He could also have an Artifactor submodule that acts as a welder/flame cutter desinged for any type of material.

A decent pair of goggles would be advised...health and safety.

~FC.

Charms

Hmmm, Sustained Augmentation of Strength seems like it would be something right up your character's alley and perhaps even Transitory Augmentation of Strength as well.

To help with the damage resistance I would recommend Strain Resistant Chasis Modification at least once to provide additional Health Levels for the character.

To represent the character's ability to withstand large amounts of damage Subcutaneous/Exoskeletal Armor Plating would also seem to be in order.

Alloyed Reinforcment of Flesh falls along the same vein of damage resistance and it also add +1L/+1B  to soak rolls.

It would seem to help the character concept if you stayed away from Charms which increased or relayed upon Clarity.

Imprinted Data Cluster for improved skill in the character's craft.

Technological Analysis Engram, Omitool Implant all seem to be interesting.

I was thinking that an artifact hammer with some type of gravity manipulation power within it would be cool. It would add the character in creating items of exceptional quality and perhaps have other effects like modifying knockdown/knockback rules to effect multiple people around the Exalt.

Another artifact idea was a gauntlet/gun along the same lines as Blah from Samauri Showdown.

Just some ideas, hopefully they help!

OK, here's my character so far:
The Meretricious Ashen Harlequin: A one-being showpiece to the Populat, he acts the fool so that hope and laughter can fill the factories, but is shunned as a clown and given little respect; the Populat's clown.

I've found that I have had a far easier time with his description than his history so far, so here it is: With skin made from white jade, it glows with swirls of red and blue that are flashed throughout, a garish medley of colour that seems to shift as he performs and entertains his audience.  He will have a constant smile beaming upon his face, but his blue eyes are filled with a deep sadness, a series of three identical blue teardrops marking his right cheek.  His green hair is long, reaching his shoulders, and braided with various beads that resemble cogs of flashing colours, emanating strange sounds and releasing exotic scents; all of which adds to the overall performance.  He goes with no clothing bar a kilt of yellow and red that stops above the knee, emblazoned with various sigils and emblems of the Machine God, each designed to bring some form of amusement to the onlooker.  His body is lean, his muscles long and limber, taut and ready to perform, and the Charms on his body are designed to be garish and loud so that onlookers gasp and smile in amazement.  

As Natures go, I was considering Jester, Follower or Martyr, but unsure which at present.  Abilities wise, definitely Athletics, Performance, unarmed combat (probably Martial Arts), and Ride, since I would like him to have a steed of somekind that he performs with (I was thinking of a gorilla-type module).
Try the pheromone-producing charm, in addition to the voice-distortion field & the husk-sculpting apparatus.  Limb Extension armatures is also a good idea, as are Celestial Monkey martial arts.

Martyr is a great idea for nature, if you want to play a more damaged/ vulnerable character (I would).

Kajata:

I'd suggest Metal-Inured Frame, Alloyed Reinforcement of Flesh, Subcutaneous Armor Plating, and Strain Resistant Chasis for sure.  For building stuff: Abstract Abacus is good for designing new stuff, Tech. Analysis engrams for studying existing models.

Well, I played my first session using UHoI, and it went pretty well.  The only flaw I can find in him that affected game play was that he only had an 8-die accuracy pool, which, whilst it may be enough against mortals, against Dragon-Blooded in Dragon Armour it didn't do all that much.  It was only the fact that he was neigh upon impenetrable to normal attack with his 34B/23L (I think...) soaks that meant he wasn't creamed completely.  It's annoying to have a 24L base damage when they simply step out of the path of your achingly slow hammer-blows.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, but with only 3 dex, I'm only getting +3 dice, which brings my pool up to 11 :(

I know I could raise my dex, but I've already got Str 4+1, Stamina 5+1, I'm not sure I wanna be maxing out my Dex as well.  He's meant to be a builder and craftsman, but not exactly the supremo juggler and knife thrower and such  :?

Kajata said:
He's meant to be a builder and craftsman, but not exactly the supremo juggler and knife thrower and such  :?
Then he's probably going to suck at hitting stuff, and you should get used to it.

-S

You could work on modifications to your weapon as a craftsman. Perhaps something which increased accuracy like an Aim Cal Sensor for melee weapons?

Wait until the DBs don't have much in the way of defensive pools. They can completely unload onto you and do no damage (assuming you've got the Inured Frame?) and then their reflexive dodge will only be 8 dice max. So your 8 accuracy looks pretty good under those circumstances. Let other characters wear down their defensive pools before you attack. Get a familiar to do the same.

Stunt. Come up with particularly cool stunts ahead of time. Spend Willpower. You only need to hit them once or twice so you shouldn't need to worry about tapping out your creativity or Willpower.

Buy a +3 specialty either in your weapon of choice or in "attacking". Get an artifact sledge that adds to accuracy. Court the favour of little gods with blessings to boost Dex or Melee.

On the whole, though, you should just be able to outlast DBs and play the odds. You may not have much chance of hitting them, but you don't need to hit them much. If you have TAo Strength or favour Strength, spend Essence to make sure that your hits count.

Forgot to mention, many moons ago: Forn, you gave me a new word, man.  "Meretricious" rules.  Gracias.

I'd suggest changing his name up slightly, such as, "the Meretricious Harlequin of Ashes and [_____]".  Might flow better that way.

Kjata: On the one hand I'm inclined to agree with Stillborn (that you should get used to a non-combat oriented character not doing so hot in combat).  On the other hand, if your opponent are Dragon-Blooded and you have the advantage of a massive soak, just do as your character's name suggests: wear them down, slowly but surely, until they have no motes left and you crush them.  Goad them into tossing flashy Combos at you, then go full-defense and let that shit slide right off.  Take several actions so you can throw an attack at them every turn, forcing them to spend for a reflexive defense.  Jab, poke, prod, wear them out, and then smash their faces in.

Lots of soak doesn't count for shit in Power Combat. Even with standard rules, it's easy to get "pinged" to death.

-S

Forgot to mention' date=' many moons ago: Forn, you gave me a new word, man.  "Meretricious" rules.  Gracias.[/quote']
No worries, a theasaurus is a ST's best friend.   :P  

I'd suggest changing his name up slightly' date=' such as, "the Meretricious Harlequin of Ashes and [_____']".  Might flow better that way.
I'll stick to 'Meretricious Ashen Harlequin' simply because it is a descriptive name for his pale skin of white jade.

~FC.

Stillborn said:
Lots of soak doesn't count for shit in Power Combat. Even with standard rules, it's easy to get "pinged" to death.
Alchemicals can get charms that allow them to ignore damage up to their natural soak (Element-Inured Frame). I'm assuming the Hammer has the appropriate charms, and enough natural soak to take full advantage of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back