• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom The Threads That Bind

Mypilot

Crow Person
Ambrose Sommer

It was a quarter to eleven, and the landing just to the side of the train was packed. Ambrose was disquieted by the constant flow of bodies, of students. It was easy to forget that he wasn't the only new first year when facing the rush of wizards, heart twisted 8n nervous excitement. His eyes darted around, trying to spot a young face just as nervous as he was.

"Be quick now, Ambrose. If you miss the train, there won't be a second one."

His mothers voice was a warm balm in all the clamor, and Ambrose peered up to catch sight of her. They'd taken a second for Ambrose to collect himself after passing through the wall; Ambrose's brother Shepherd had already forged ahead, having spotted some friends and being swept up in their comraderie. Ambrose had watched with envy, and the hopeful belief that that would be home come next year.

Ambrose's mothers hands feathered at his shoulders, nudging him along. He collected his cart, laden with bags and owl, and the pair made their way to the train with quick steps. It was no easy feat getting his things onto the train—suddenly it felt like perhaps every first year had been waiting in the shadows to approach the train at the same time—but eventually the brunt of it was done. Ambrose burst free from the crowd, nearly knocking down a dark haired girl in the process, and then found his mother in time for a quick goodbye hug.

"Just remember it doesn't matter your House, love. Your dad and I will be proud either way, and your brother will always be there to help you regardless." She smiled warmly at him, cheeks dimpled, and gave him another squeeze. "Oh, I'm so happy! Be good, be be brave, be smart. I love you."

"I love you too, mum." Ambrose gave her a quick squeeze back, and then as the train whistle blew, he darted back towards its call with a thrumming heart. It was beginning, truly. Finally. Finally.

Evie Grey

Evie made a face at the boy who practically shoved her aside, but he didn't seem to notice in his rush. Where was be racing away to, only a couple minutes before departure? No matter, Evie couldn't pay him any mind.

With a furrowed brow, Evie located her parents in the crowd. They were where she'd left them after her goodbyes, her mothers arm linked through her fathers, his hands in his pockets as he observed the proceedings like a judge. Evie's heart gave a squeeze. She would do them proud. She had to.

The train gave its warning call, but already the platform had cleared as most of the older students hopped aboard without all the need of a heartfelt goodbye from their families. Exchanges were being passed through windows, and Evie tried to spot any of her childhood friends left in the throng of younger kids and parents still on the platform to little avail.

Evie's stomach was a roil of nerves and energy as she hopped aboard the train. Would she be able to find a seat? Would she be expected to get along with strangers? A part of her was eager for that first introduction, because no doubt this first train ride would be the start of many first years friendships, but another small part of her hoped she'd get a cart all to herself.

This latter seemed true, if only temporarily. It was with relief that the third room she tried was blissfully empty, surrounded as it was on either side by open doorways with bubbling conversation leaking out of each.

With pleasure, Evie sank into her seat. She had her smallest luggage bag with her, the one with her uniform so that she could change into her robes on the way, and didn't rush to put it in the overhead compartment. For now, she would sit with anticipation keeping an eye on the window and the door, eager to be off.

marss marss

Arlo Hudson

Arlo had successfully shaken his mother off as he tried to straighten out his wrinkled shirt. His older brother, Carson, was snickering beside the two of them. He only stopped when Arlo sent him a death glare. The first year looked to his mother to say a final goodbye as she launched herself at him again, arms tightly wrapping around him.

Arlo groaned, “Dad, tell her I’ve got to go.” He begged as the train whistle blew once more, signaling the trains departure shortly. Carson left to join a group of friends. His cheeks were tainted red with embarrassment.

His father smiled fondly at his wife and son, “Mira, he’s right, the trains going to be leaving any minute. He can’t miss it.” He insisted as Mira finally pulled away, holding her youngest son at arms length.

“You write the moment you’re sorted, I want to know what house you’ve been sorted into. And you’re also welcome to come home for Christmas. I assume you-,” Mira was cut off by her son.

“Yes, mum, I know, I know. I’ve really got to go. I’ll write, promise. Love you!” Arlo finally shook himself free from his mothers grasp, waving at his parents as he hurried onto the train. He bumped into older students as he climbed aboard. Instead of apologizing he’d mutter comments he’d found quite amusing under his breath only to get glares from the older kids.

From what Carson had told him, he knew there was no way he’d get a compartment alone now. He didn’t really mind though, he’d much rather sit in a compartment with other people. People he’d be able to annoy with the jokes he found rather hilarious. He’d learned other people didn’t find them as funny as he did.

The boy came across a compartment with a girl sitting there all alone. She appeared to be a first year herself. Arlo didn’t think anyone would want to be alone riding the Hogwarts Express for the first time. He poked his head in, about to speak up to get the girls attention when an unfamiliar voice came from directly beside him. The voice caused him to slightly jump and turn his attention to the girl beside him.

Marella Raynott

Marella had just finished loading her items. Now her eyes were wide as she looked around Platform 9 3/4s for the first time ever. It was beautiful. Absolutely magical. Literally. The Hogwarts Express had to be the prettiest things she had seen in her life. If her heart pounded against her chest any faster she swore it would have fallen right out.

“You’ve got everything?” Her mother questioned, looking rather worriedly at her daughter who just nodded her head enthusiastically. A small, grey kitten sat comfortably in the girls arms.

“Yes.” Marella stood on her tippy toes, kissing her mother on the cheek before giving her father a side hug. Nothing else was said between the three as she turned on her heel, excitedly hurrying onto the train.

As she walked down the long corridor, she peaked into the compartments. Marella’s eyes glimmered with excitement seeing groups of friends laughing, catching up, sharing sweets. She could only hope that by the time she was their age she’d have a good group of friends to be excited seeing as well. That shouldn’t have been too big of a problem for her though. Making friends came as a second nature to her.

Finally, Marella ran into a compartment with a short boy outside poking his head in. It was no secret he was a first year as well. She stood outside with him a moment, shifting the kitten in her hands before poking her head into the compartment as well. “Hi!” She smiled to the girl sitting alone inside. She ignored the boys gaze next to her.

“Do you mind if we sit here?” Marella asked, not even waiting for an answer as she made her way into the compartment. She plopped down into the seat across from the other girl with a bright smile. “Everywhere else is full.” She explained, tapping the seat next to her to invite the boy who was still standing in the doorway in. A friendly smile still gracing her features.

The boy, looking rather confused, entered and took a seat where Marella had been tapping. “I’m Marella. Marella Raynott, but you can call me whatever.” She introduced, looking expectantly at the other two.

Mypilot Mypilot

Evie Grey
The reprieve was short lived, but Evie supposed she expected that. She started a bit at the sudden appearance, first of the boy and then of the voice. The girl who came in second, shouldering past the first, had a vivid personality and a rather adorable traveling companion.

“No,” Evie replied, even though at this point her answer didn’t matter, “I suppose I don’t. I’m Evie Grey, first year. Like yourselves?” She glanced between the pair, scrutinizing their young faces for any traces of kinship in being such.

As she spoke, Evie stood to take her suitcase and pop it up above the cabin. It slid in easily, with ample room for more. When she turned and sat, it was to both new parties sitting across from her. She blushed slightly, feeling a bit like she was in a meeting and on the wrong end of the table. And then, before the conversation could truly progress beyond these introductions, the door slid open again to admit yet another young face rounded with youth.

Ambrose Sommer

Ambrose very nearly missed the train because of his mothers fussing, but he was into the main hallway with luggage in hand by the time the massive machine jolted to life beneath his feet. Around him, the sounds of voices in conversation filled the hall, either through open doors to allow passage in and out or through more private carts of smaller friend groups.

Picking his way through as quietly as he could, Ambrose peered through as many of the open doors as he could, hoping to see a spare empty seat that wouldn’t result in death glares at interrupting a reunion. A few of the quieter doors he tested—all full—until finally he chanced upon one holding only three students.

“Oh,” he said, relief flooding him at the sight of an empty seat. Then he realized it was perhaps rude to just barge in. “Er, sorry- Is that seat available? Do you mind? I’m afraid I was a bit slow.” He offered a sheepish smile, running a hand through his auburn hair and then internally grimaced as he probably immediately mussed up his mother's careful brushing.

marss marss

Arlo Hudson & Marella Raynott

Marella’s head snapped to the door as another young face appeared. She wore the same friendly smile she had when entering the compartment. She opened her mouth, about to speak up and invite the boy in when someone spoke over her.

“Unlucky for you. Seats taken. We’ve got a cat you see. Needs loads of stretch out space, the little furball.” Arlo had a smile on his face, clearly thinking he was being funny. He ended up turning expectantly to Marella as if hoping she’d continue his small, painfully unfunny, joke.

Marella was staring back at Arlo with a funny look on her face. She then turned to the other boy in the compartment doorway shifting the kitten in her arms, “We don’t mind,” She spoke, disregarding the words from the boy beside her. Who knew if the boy in the doorway would even want to sit with them after what was said.

“I never expected there to be so many people. The train fills up faster than I expected,” Marella went on before realizing she was being slightly rude but not reintroducing herself for the new member. “Oh, I’m Marella Roynott, but you can call me whatever.” She introduced the same she had done before, ranting on.

“Okay Whatever,” The boy beside her muttered under his breath with another smirk plastered to his face. He sat up from his slouch realizing he hadn’t introduced himself at all. “I’m Arlo, Arlo Hudson.”

Mypilot Mypilot

A cat? Ambrose tried not to make a face. He sniffed, eyeing the little puffball curled up in the girls elbow, and hesitantly stepped into the room. "Thanks. I'm Ambrose, er, Sommer," he replied as lightly as he could. He gestured to the cat. "What's its name?"

Evie shifted in her seat to allow the boy room to sit, edging closer to the window. She listened intently to their conversation, but her eyes drifted outside to the passing of King's Cross station to the world beyond.

Light filled the carriage as the exited the station, sun-bright and warm. It was luckily a beautiful day for travel, and Evie hoped that weather would hold once they reached Hogwarts. She wanted nothing in her way of seeing the castle for the first time, its towering peaks and ancient stonework.

Belatedly, she realized she hadn't introduced herself to the new arrival, but now of course it would feel awkward to do so. She had to hope there would be an opportunity to do so later, lest she consign herself to never speaking to him again. Which she would, if it would spare her.

Marella looked down at the small kitten in her arms. Finally, she placed the bundle beside her as it curled into a ball. “Nala,” She spoke, looking down at the furball with a fond smile. A second later, her eyebrows furrowed. “But, I don’t think she really knows her name.”

Arlo sat up a bit straighter now that introductions were done. Well, the other girl hadn’t reintroduced herself but it didn’t look at if she were going to. “Dads told me all about Hogwarts. I’m going to be a Gryffindor just as he was.” He explained with a small smile. “He wouldn’t accept anything else.”

Which was a lie. Arlos father would be happy no matter where he was placed. It was more Arlo who wouldn’t accept anything else.

Marella looked at Arlo looking entirely confused. Her gaze then shifted over to Evie and Ambrose as if one of them would answer her questioning gaze. “Gryffindor?” She asked after a moment. Not being brought up in the wizarding world meant not knowing simple things such as the four houses. She hadn’t been curious enough to look over any of her books either. She was filled with excitement not curiousness.

“A pleasure then, Nala,” Ambrose joked, giving a slight bow to the kitten. He shuffled politely in his seat, wanting to give the girl beside him more room. “Are you all friends?” he asked conversationally, looking between the trio.

“No, we’ve only just met.” Evie shook her head to emphasize her answer, casting a glance at the two before her. “I haven’t any friends- well, what I mean is I don’t really know anyone here well enough to sit with them.” Wow, what a flub of the mouth. Evie wished she could melt into the seat, or better yet that she could go back to a time before she decided to take the empty carriage and put her foot in her mouth.

Ambrose’s smile was sincere. “I see, well then I am grateful to be on this cart. I’d hate to be the odd one out, but a cart full of strangers is just as good! I only know my brother, but he’s not about to sit with me for the train ride.”

Arlo couldn’t help but smirk as Ambrose mentioned his brother. “I think my brother would rather die than have to sit with me during the train ride.” He admitted with a smile, eyes wandering out the window for a moment. Seeing as the train had just taken off, there wasn’t much scenery. A few trees here and there, but for the most part just stretches of grass fields.

Marella seemed to brighten up at the mention of siblings as well. “My brother and sister are both younger than me. I’m the first in my family to come to Hogwarts.” She spoke proudly, unaware of how frowned upon that would really be. The grey furball beside her had jumped down, joining the two other first years on the bench across from her.

“She doesn’t bite,” Marella clarified quickly. Her features once more scrunched up. “Though she may pee on you.” She admitted.

Arlo let out a muffled laugh. “I’d be careful. You don’t want to walk around being known as the first year who smells like cat piss.” He spoke, looking up to both Ambrose and Evie.

"Don't I know it," Ambrose replied to Arlo. Shep wasn't mean or anything, but he certainly wasn't about to spend time keeping his little brother company when he could be goofing off with his friends for the duration of the train ride. And, as Shepherd had once pointed out, it was important that "my kid brother gets an organic Hogwarts experience without my influence" and all that nonsense.

Evie blinked at Marella, surprised at the confession. "You're Muggle-born?" she asked, a bit more bluntly than perhaps was polite. "I've never met one before."

Ambrose glanced between Evie and Marella, but then was distracted by the cat coming up to himself and Evie. He shied away, blanching. "Ah, I'm allergic," he said quickly, the words falling out despite his resolve about two minutes ago to try and politely not mention it. He pressed the back of his hand against his nose, the soft freshly washed cotton of his dress shirt filling his lungs. "Not terribly," he continued, muffled, "if you don't mind hearing all the sneezing..."

Marella stared at Evie, a blank look on her face. “Muggle-born?” She questioned, eyebrows furrowing as she looked at the other three first years.

“Means you’ve got non-magical parents.” Arlo explained in a whisper.

However, before Marella could even think of answering, her attention was snapped to Ambrose. “Oh, I’m sorry!” She exclaimed as she hurried over to pick the kitten up, “Why didn’t you mention it before?” Marella asked with a stressed frown as she took her seat once more.

Arlo smirked, “Well, I guess you’ll be known as the first year who can’t stop sneezing. I suppose that’s better than smelling like cat piss, eh?” He asked, nudging Marella who was closest to him.

Marella furrowed her eyebrows, giving him an almost disgusted look. She shifted slightly away from him, clearing her throat. “It’s magic, there must be some sort of spell to make you unallergic?” She asked, a glimmer in her eyes and a smile on her face. Clearly, she did not understand magic.

"I didn't want to be a bother." Ambrose looked embarrassed, waving away the apology—and the cat hair. He gave a sniff, resisting the urge to sneeze. "Not a spell, but they make, uh... They make stuff you can use and wear to help with allergies." He sat rigidly, looking like he'd rather melt into his chair. "They're just- They look really dumb, is all. I was sort of hoping I wouldn't need it."

Evie couldn't help the laugh that slipped out, a quick 'ha!' before she felt back into her routine politeness. "I'm sorry, it's just that, well, it's Hogwarts. Most of the students will have owls I am sure, but cats are undoubtedly just as common. And I think I heard even the caretaker of the grounds has one." This last she said in a whisper, as if it were a secret.

"Oh, I've heard about him." This Ambrose said with a tissue pressed to his nose, of which he'd plucked from somewhere in his pockets. "My brother says that cat is a right demon, and I should best stay out of her sights. And that caretaker, though I forgot his name..."

“Mr. Filch,” Arlo spoke up, reminding Ambrose of the caretakers name. His own brother had told him plenty of stories about the caretaker and his cat Mrs. Norris. He warned Arlo to keep his pranking to a minimum or he was going to get into trouble with them. Would that stop him though?

A smile broke out onto Arlos face. “I say we slip some stink pellets into Filch’s office. That’ll get him to suffer from the smell and maybe even kick that stupid cat out for the night.” He suggested, smile never leaving his face.

Marella’s eyes began to grow slightly at Arlos idea. Maybe she would have thought it were a better idea if she knew what exactly stink pellets were. She assumed they were a lot like stink bombs, but how was she supposed to know. “Stink pellets?” She found herself questioning once more with furrowed eyebrows. There was a lot she had to learn.

"Ah, yes," Ambrose replied with a snap of his fingers. "That's the guy. Heard he's quite the card."

“Is he really?” Evie inquired. She had a little knowledge of the faculty, but mostly the headmaster who had been anointed some time after her parents no longer attended Hogwarts. But, then again, what witch or wizard didn’t know of Albus Dumbledore?

At Arlo’s suggestion, Evie blanched. “No, we shouldn’t do anything like that. What if we got caught? The professors would be furious. And in our first year…” She looked appalled at the mere suggestion. To Marella, she leaned forward and whispered, as if even saying it too loud would draw in unwanted attention, “They’re silly little trick toys, they burst open and let out a smelling gas.”

Marella leaned forward the moment Evie did, a smile forming on her face. She let out a little ‘ah’ as she sat back to show she acknowledged what the other had said.

Arlo rolled his eyes, “If we get caught we serve detention. The trick is to not get caught though. They can’t punish us if they don’t know it was us who did it.” He pointed out, the smile on his face growing as he looked at Evie.

Marella looked from Arlo, to Ambrose, to Evie. There was a glimmer to her eyes that clearly said she loved the sound of Arlo’s idea. Maybe she would’ve spoken up and said that if Evie didn’t look so horrified.

Arlo went on, “Personally, I think it’s a wonderful idea. Filch will be fuming!” Even though he didn’t know exactly what Filch looked like, or even anything about the man other than stories he had heard from his brother, this still caused him to laugh.

"I just don't think it's the best way to start off the school year. If you  do get caught then teachers will only know you as the student who's up to no good." Evie folded her arms across her chest. "I certainly don't want that kind of reputation."

"More of a drifting under the radar girl?" Ambrose asked, tone slightly teasing. "I don't know about pranks, but I think it's important to leave your mark. Don't want to be just another face in the crowd." He punctuated this with a sneeze.

"Well, there are  better ways to leave a mark," Evie replied with a sniff. "Like academically, or in Defense Against the Dark Arts. I've heard that's the best class to show off in."

Arlo couldn’t help but let out a muffled laugh at Evies words. “Academically, seriously?” He asked with a smirk on his face. “Anyone can wave their wand and produce magic. That’s not impressive. Not everyone can come up with one of the best pranks Hogwarts has ever and will ever see.” Arlo said confidently sitting up a bit straighter in his seat.

Marella shifted almost uncomfortably in her seat. Suddenly, a wide smile formed on her face. She couldn’t keep the excitement of Arlo’s idea down any longer. “I think it’s brilliant,” She admitted, looking at Evie. “It’s not hurting anyone.” She pointed out.

Arlo nodded it Marellas direction. “Thank you,” He spoke before turning to Ambrose. “Perfect way to leave our mark. An impressive mark.” He put his hand up to the other boy for a high five. Clearly, Arlo wasn’t going to change his mind. Ambrose’s words and Marellas agreement definitely didn’t appear to be helping.

Evie looked offended at Arlo’s words. She was ready to whip out a scathing reply, but at Marella’s agreement she bit her tongue. It would seem she was outnumbered. “Well, just don’t include me in it.” She sniffled in polite distaste. “My parents would have my skin if they heard I got caught up in some prank on my week at Hogwarts.” A pause. “Well, any at Hogwarts.”

Simply pleased to be included, Ambrose met the other boys high five. “If you think about it,” he said, turning slightly to Evie, “it’s setting the tone for our other peers. If they see we’re good for a laugh, not only will they be more likely to be nice to us, but the smart kids will assume we’re no good on pen and paper and won’t consider us a threat to their academic career so. Win/win?” He grinned toothily, trying to appeal to Evie’s intellectual side.

Evie only rolled her eyes. “Maybe that’s what you think, but I really don’t think his idea is to throw a scholastic curveball at them.” She nodded her chin at Arlo. “But I suppose it would be a good way to make friends…for you three, I mean.” She added the last bit hastily, not wanting to seem like she was in agreement with Ambrose’s attempt at swaying her.

Arlo excitedly pointed at Ambrose as he tried to convince Evie. Of course, that hadn’t been what he meant. He didn’t want to start Hogwarts with a major prank just to throw a curveball at peers. Evie only made him frown and drop his hand, “Come on, it’d be a great way for you to make friends as well. Don’t try to deny it.”

Marella smiled. Even though she liked the sounds of Arlos idea, Evie clearly didn’t. She couldn’t have both boys and her teaming up on the other. “I don’t think Evie’s kind of friends are pranksters.” She spoke up before turning her attention to Evie. “I say you don’t join in on the prank, but at least come with us! And then we can study or do whatever you want after!”

Arlo’s prank would be a great way to start the year. It was fun, funny, and a great way to start friendship. Marella was definitely in, she just wanted Evie in as well.

Arlo ended up groaning. He slumped across the seat he was sitting on dramatically, an arm laying across his stomach. “Speak for yourself. I will not be joining in on the boring studying.” He complained.

Evie smarted at Arlo's comment, or at least the insinuation from both boys that needing a helping hand to make friends was something she needed. She looked slightly less put off at Marella's suggestion, visibly defusing. "Yes, well... Maybe. But if any of you get caught, I don't know you." She said it in the same serious voice, but a small smile graced her lips to add a teasing undertone.

"I'll accept that," Ambrose laughed. "I'm sure we'll have a lot to think about after our first round of classes anyway. And there's also the castle to explore!" He brightened at the idea, taking a quick peek out the window of the train as if Hogwarts was going to loom into view. "All those halls, all those secrets. I'm so excited to finally see it, and who knows what we'll find."

"My parents said there's loads of ghosts," Evie said, nodding along. "Some main ones for each house, but then a bunch others that aren't often as seen. I wonder what stories they've got." She recalled there was even a young one, about a students age. Evie wondered how that had come and happened.

Arlo perked up at the mention of exploring the halls of Hogwarts. He looked at Ambrose with eager eyes, as if the two of them were going to magically appear at Hogwarts and run down the halls exploring.

Marella, however, seemed more focused on the mention of ghosts. Her eyebrows furrowed, “Ghosts?” She asked. “Like real, actual ghosts?” There was no way Evie could be talking about actual ghosts, right? Marella would very soon learn that anything was possible with magic. Even ghosts.

Arlo smirked, “Yes, real, actual ghosts! I’ve heard they snatch certain students in their sleep and bring them down to the dungeons. Tie them up there and leave them until someone notices. But, does anyone ever really notice if a couple students are missing? There’s just so many!”

Marella looked over to Arlo. She looked absolutely horrified.

Ambrose pretended to scratch an itch on his nose to avoid a smile at Marella's expression. He glanced at Evie, who only rolled her eyes, but didn't say anything to spoil the teasing. "The dungeons would be neat to explore," Ambrose added, bouncing off of Arlo's idea. "I mean how many students actually go gown that far? On their own, I mean." He added the last bit with a mischievous smile at Marella.

Looking ready to interject, Evie opened her mouth to speak but the door slid open before she could. A portly woman with a head of curly grey-black peered in. "Any candy off the trolly, dears?" she asked, voice surprisingly loud in the small quarters.

"Oh, yes please!" Evie brightened considerably, more so than she had been the entire ride so far. She leapt up and dug through her luggage for a bag, from which she withdrew some coins. "Would you guys like anything?" she asked, eyeing the other three. "My treat, I insist." Evie didn't wait for an answer, plucking a bundle of chocolate frogs first from the cart and dumping them into Arlo's lap, who was closest. "You'll love these, they're my favourite. Oh, and these!" She grabbed up a few boxes of jelly beans, a couple bars of butterbeer fudge, some fizzing whizzbees, and some sherbet lemon packages that she beamed at when she grabbed them.

"Wow," was all Ambrose could say as Evie used him to hold candies as well. She paid the women in full, and then eyed the others with a gesture at the cart to see if there was anything else they'd like. "I, uh, think all this will do." Ambrose looked amused at the plethora of sweets, shifting them in his lap so he wasn't being stabbed by so many cardboard corners.

Marella was happy when the compartment door slide open. She didn’t know how much more she could handle to hear about ghosts before she stayed on the train and headed back for King Cross station. A place she wouldn’t have to deal with any of these ghosts.

Arlo’s eyes widened as Evie dumped the chocolate frogs on his lap before going back to order even more. He would never be able to purchase this much. Arlo looked from the sweets and up to Evie as she gestured to the cart, his eyes as wide as moons. “All this costs a fortune.” He looked astonished.

Marella was looking at Evie with just about the same look. More because she was surprised at all the wizard sweets there were. “This is good Evie, great, thank you.” She spoke with a smile on her face to let the other know they didn’t need anymore. Besides, she heard they were going to be having a feast.

Marella looked to Ambrose’s lap picking up a bar of butterbeer fudge. “What’s this?” She asked with furrowed eyebrows. “And this.” She then picked up a chocolate frog from Arlo’s lap. At this rate Marella was going to be asking the other three about every candy Evie got.

Evie blinked at Arlo, then seemed to remember herself. "Yes, right," she said, offering a smile to the trolley woman and taking her treats back to her seat. She placed them on the leather between herself and Ambrose, selecting a backage of butterbeer fudge for herself. "Well, anyway, it's worth it to have a treat before the most important day of our lives."

With an appreciative smile, Ambrose took one of the bags of sherbet lemons and ripped the edge off with his teeth, popping the candy into his mouth. "That'll help the ride go by faster!" he said with a good amount of cheer. He peered at the boxes of chocolate frogs, curious. "I've never had those, although I've heard they were good. My mum thought it made kids into addicts." He clicked his tongue at the thought, taking a moment to crinkle up the wrapper and put it in his pocket.

"To chocolate?" Evie asked, screwing up her face.

Ambrose shook his head. "No, to the cards on the back." He gestured to the boxes. "All that itch to collect the good ones, I guess? I don't know, I wasn't too pressed about it."

Hearing about the cards on the inside of the chocolate frogs, Marella ripped one open. As opposed to pulling the chocolate out, she instead pulled the card out. Before she got the chance to look at her card, the chocolate frog jumped out of the package, onto the floor, and then onto the seat Ambrose and Evie were sitting on.

Nala was quick to jump over, chasing after the sweet. This caused a very mad Marella to jump up as well, picking the kitten up. “Ugh, Nala! Sorry, Ambrose.” She frowned, taking her seat once more. Now Marella completely disregarded the card, “I didn’t know the chocolate frogs were well, real.”

Arlo burst into laughter at this. Marella turned furrowed eyebrows in his direction, “What?” She asked, wondering what joke she missed.

However, Arlo just kept on laughing, barley getting his words out through all his laughter, “N-nothing.”

Marella turned her expectant gaze on Ambrose and Evie, hoping one of them would explain what exactly was so funny. It was clear Arlo was getting on the girls nerves.

Ambrose rubbed at the edge of his nose with his knuckle. "All good," he said back, leaning slightly away from the feline.

Evie smiled at the cat, frogless and trapped in Marella's arms. To Marella, she said, "It's safe to say that anything magical that can happen, will happen. We are, after all, going to a wizarding school." Her smile was not unkind, if a little amused. "I personally find eating them a little weird, what with the movement, but they stop after a little bit, see!" She scooped up the frog, now immobile, and offered it to Marella—taking care not to put it in reach of Nala's claws.

"Living chocolate and playing cards, what an interesting combination," Ambrose mused, eyeing the card Marella had discarded. The other boxes of chocolate looked tempting, because he was indeed craving something sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back