The Teahouse

Good question. I'd assume Viv would meet them by chance...or they could recruit her from an 'inn' or whatever hell has that passes for a gathering place for locals an mercs.

Harrow and Snack probably have some prior acquaintance, and I can see Gharkia spending a spell at the shrine.

I will not be surprised if Viv joining the group is a Defeat Means Friendship kind of scenario.

Haven't heard from @ApfelSeine in a while.  Still in?

Grr, and now you've got me with seven TV tropes tabs open, you fiendish wizard!

I'm still in :) I've been quietly stalking this whole time. I plan to get my character done tomorrow once I finally get a little free time (midterms are coming up so it's a little crazy). I'm very excited about everything ^_^

The rest of you are all demons, right? Viv is the only non native?

Yes.

And as I said in the background, Gharkia went to Pandemonium but took a wrong turn and wound up at the monastery. How long ago that was is up in the air.

@Grey

Side note: for one of Gharkia's expressions, I propose his coal-black skin has indeed the durability of mighty rock... giving him say, the equivalent of X heavy armor soak without the mobility penalties?

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what they say. You don't choose the vamp life. The vamp life chooses you.

Seriously tho, she's been doing it for a while but when she undied she was pretty freaked out. Lived off the corpses of villagers slain by the monster that killed her while she tried to figure stuff out. Composed a poetic oath before the gods (a variant of her knight's code and oath of chivalry) and repeated it over and over while she reforged her sword and armor that the monster broke, quenching it in her blood, because oaths are sealed with blood and she figured that would be okay.

Following that, she hunted outlaws to sate her thirst when animals weren't enough. Avoided civilization even more than usual, and has day-mares about inquisitors. She's dedicated her un-life to hunting monsters that terrorize the innocent (innocence as defined by her code) in a manner similar to her old life, but hell is a bit of a break from that and allows her to pursue vengeance. 

TLDR: she's lost and compensates with poetry and doing what she knows how to do well (hunting monsters) while avoiding confronting her true nature.

That's pretty cool.  Personally, I'm trying to find ways to keep Harrow 'calculating' and 'balanced' without being stupidly boring and dull.  He doesn't have much in the way of internal conflicts at the moment.

if you can play off the other characters right, you might be able to get away with it. Not every character has to be going through a traumatic arc. Some can be going through more simple ones

I want to make my character all slimy like a fish, but I don't know what that would actually accomplish in effecting any particular ability  :S  On the plus side, I think I finally figured out how to allocate stats. So that part is done at least. Still on track for getting it done tonight, but I'm worried I'm doing it wrong, so I'll probably have to be corrected on a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to make my character all slimy like a fish, but I don't know what that would actually accomplish in effecting any particular ability  :S  On the plus side, I think I finally figured out how to allocate stats. So that part is done at least. Still on track for getting it done tonight, but I'm worried I'm doing it wrong, so I'll probably have to be corrected on a lot.

I have a fairly good idea of how it works so I'll help with questions

Eeee, I like Snicker Snack.  Updating skills for hopefully the last time. Carry on.

your fire retribution thing scares me. Nerf please?

I have a fairly good idea of how it works so I'll help with questions

That's great :D  I do have some questions...

How are advantages determined? (Both what they are and the stat benefits assigned)

How is ranged skill determined? (I didn't see it as a part of attributes or skills)

How are the effects/cost of "expressions" determined? (There's two resonance points, so that's two expressions right?)

What are blasphemies and what do they do? (Do I just need to put down the names of the blasphemies listed for the category that the character is?)

How do I decide what weaponry/inventory my character has? (Is this just what I think the character is likely to carry around with him?)

If you can answer any of these, it will be a huge help to me ^_^

How are advantages determined? (Both what they are and the stat benefits assigned)

This is easy. You have three advantages. Familiarity, Knowledge, and Training. Familiarity gives you a bonus die for three social skills of your choice in certain situations (similar to skill foci). For example, a soldier could get bonuses to persuading, mingling, and subterfuge, but only with his fellow soldiers. These three bonuses are all tied together by a single theme or element from your character's backstory or bio. In this case, the soldier's experience being a soldier. Knowledge gives you bonuses to three mental skills, and Training is for physical skills.

How is ranged skill determined? (I didn't see it as a part of attributes or skills)

Ranged is a physical skill. Offense: Ranged is Range Skill + Dex

How are the effects/cost of "expressions" determined? (There's two resonance points, so that's two expressions right?)

Sorry, ask a demon. I made a vampire.

What are blasphemies and what do they do? (Do I just need to put down the names of the blasphemies listed for the category that the character is?)

See above.

How do I decide what weaponry/inventory my character has? (Is this just what I think the character is likely to carry around with him?)

There is an extent to which this is flavor (what does your character carry around) and an extent to which it affects your stats. Your weapons and armor, for example. I copied the relevant section of the rulebook for you

'Unarmed' Weapons

Brass Knuckles – Adds 2 Penetration to Unarmed strikes.

Punch Dagger – Adds +2 Damage and 1 Peneration to Unarmed strikes.

Laman Katar – Adds +2 Damage and 2 Penetration to Unarmed strikes.

Light Weapons - No Strength requirement

Name: Damage/Penetration

Dagger: 1/1

Reaping Hook: 2/0

Rapier: 4/1

Short Sword: 2/2

Hand Axe: 3/1

Medium Weapons - Strength 2 required

Armingsword: 3/2

Pollax: 3/4

Mace: 3/3

Spear: 4/2

Scythe: 4/0 Speed -1. Pen 4 if you specifically attempt to bury the tip in some poor sod.

H'kaerian Purifier: 4/4 on the stabbing, 4/2 when slashing

Heavy Weapons - Require Strength 3. Reduce Initiative by 2

Greatsword: 6/3

Halberd: 5/3

Greataxe: 5/4

Ranged Weapons:

Short bow: 3/2

Longbow: 3/3

Sling:1/1

Throwing Axes: 2/2

Throwing Knives: 2/1

Javelin 3/2, 5/4 with a spear-throwing tool.

Armour:

Toughened and Padded Leather Armour:

Jerkin: 14 Condition

Pauldrons: 10 Condition

Bracers: 6 Condition

Gloves: 2 Condition

Greaves: 8 Condition

Helm: 5 Condition

Soak +1

Reinforced Leather/Brigandine:

Jerkin: 16 Condition

Spaulders: 12 Condition

Bracers: 8 Condition

Gloves: 3 Condition

Greaves: 9 Condition

Helm: 5 Condition.

Soak +2

Chainmail:

Shirt: 18 Condition

Sleeves: 12 Condition

Gauntlets: 4 Condition

Kilt: 8 Condition

Helm: 8 Condition

Unwieldy: -2 Speed without training.

Soak +3

Full Plate:

Cuirass: 20

Pauldrons: 18

Gauntlets: 8

Greaves: 15

Helm: 10

Soak +5

-2 Initiative

This is easy. You have three advantages. Familiarity, Knowledge, and Training. Familiarity gives you a bonus die for three social skills of your choice in certain situations (similar to skill foci). For example, a soldier could get bonuses to persuading, mingling, and subterfuge, but only with his fellow soldiers. These three bonuses are all tied together by a single theme or element from your character's backstory or bio. In this case, the soldier's experience being a soldier. Knowledge gives you bonuses to three mental skills, and Training is for physical skills.

Ohhh I see. That's good to know ^_^

Ranged is a physical skill. Offense: Ranged is Range Skill + Dex

I still don't see the range skill. The only physical skills I see are Athletics, Awareness, Defense, Melee, Piloting, Stealth, Thievery, and Unarmed. Though two people put it into their character sheets. I guess it's missing from the character sheet and I should just add it in there.

There is an extent to which this is flavor (what does your character carry around) and an extent to which it affects your stats. Your weapons and armor, for example. I copied the relevant section of the rulebook for you

I didn't know there was a rule book that I should be referencing. Do you have a link I could use?

Thanks for all your help :D  I should be able to make some significant progress now.

I managed to get the character done when I said (more or less). It feels like I did it alright, though I'm half asleep at this point so who knows :P  If anyone notices something I did wrong (or incoherently) then let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back