• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Spirit-Bound (Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy) (Full) (For Real This Time)

Macintot

WeeWoo
In times long forgotten, great spirits ruled the earth. Dragons burned all that stood around them. Werewolves stalked for prey. Even unicorns used their healing powers to twist and corrupt. Mankind could not stand before these beasts and cried out for divine aid, lest they be driven to extinction.

So the Divine One made new spirits, identical to the ones before, and attatched them to the souls of humans. These humans gained the spirits' appearance and powers and, with them, held off the evil spirits. The evil spirits fought, but to no avail. Each time a bonded human died, the bemevolent spirit would attach itself to a new host.

Eventually the evil spirits could fight them no more, and were banished within a plane unreachable by humans. With their purpose finished, the benevolent spirits returned their Master.

Thousands of years passed as mankind thrived without the evil spirits to oppress them. The spirits and the great war faded into memory so distant none could remember it, and mankind reveled in the security of being, in their own eyes, invincible.

Until the evil spirits escaped their prison. Creeping into the mortal world immaterial and weak, but crafty. They found they could manipulate the human's inventions while in their state, and launched their world-ending bombs.

Almost every human perished in the attack. The fortunate survivors had hid in undergound shelters. The unfortunate were caught on the surface and twisted into hideous forms. And some were spared.

The spared humans lay scattered accross the world, unthinking, unbreathing, but untouched by decay. And slowly moving.

The spared moved closer to each other as though pulled by an invisible thread. Ten years passed, the spirits grew in power and terrorized the humans once more. Ten years, until the spared lay in groups in the last green places of the world.

Then the Divine One sent his benevolent spirits to bind with the souls of the spared and awoke them to protect humanity once more.

-----
Extra Info
  • This story is set on Earth.
  • We are playing as the soul-bound, humans whose souls have merged with the benevolent spirits. Normal and mutated humans and possibly evil spirits may become available later.
  • Your bonded spirit can be anything that qualifies as a mythical or fantasy creature. The only restriction (besides keeping it within the realm of PG-13) is no duplicates, just for the sake of variety.
  • The RP will begin in an oasis in the Mojave Desert, about 50 miles north of Las Vegas. However, your character has been on the move for ten years, so it would be reasonable for them to have "died" from almost anywhere in the U.S., northern Mexico, or southern Canada.
  • This will be a small group, at least to start, with about 5-6 people. More spots may open up as the game progresses.
  • As a rule, try to stick to at least five sentences per post. I know it's not possible every time, just try your best! :)
  • I'm a bit of a slow poster by RPN standards (usually once every 2-3 days so I can edit), so this RP may not run as fast-paced as others. However, try to post at least once a week, or let me know if you can't.

The Spirits
  • Spirits are extraplanar in origin, possibly from heaven or hell, but more likely from a third, unknown plane. All known Spirits currently reside on earth.
  • When in earth, spirits take the form of mythological beings.
  • Spirits are sentient beings. However, they appear to lack some of the wisdom, forethought, and reason of humans and are driven largely by instinct.
  • The original spirits created cannot bond to humans, instead existing independently.
  • The vast majority of unbonded spirits are chaotic evil in alignment, with rare individuals being neutral evil or lawful evil. All unbonded spirits revel in the destruction and/or corruption of the earth, and of humanity in particular. No one knows their motives.
  • Most unbonded spirits are capable of human speech.
  • Bonded spirits were created as a response to the prayers of humans asking for protection from the unbonded spirits.
  • Bonded spirits fuse with the souls of humans, granting those humans the spirits' powers and a portion of their appearance. A bonded spirit will never appear on earth unbonded to a human host.
  • Upon the death of its host, a bonded spirit will automatically bond to the soul of a new human.
  • The bonded spirits do not choose their hosts. When asked, they claim the Divine One chooses who they are to be bonded to. Thus far, it is unknown what pattern or quality the Divine One uses to select humans to be bonded, or if such a criteria exists at all. (In other words, this doesn't mean your character has to fit a particular personality.)
  • Bonded spirits can communicate telepathically with their hosts and with other spirits, but not with unbonded humans or the hosts of other spirits.
  • Bonded spirits have no control over the bodies of their hosts, though they can still experience the world through their senses. Instead, a bonded spirit provides mainly an advisory role, teaching their hosts how to use their powers and helping them make decisions.
  • All bonded spirits are lawful good in alignment. (This does not necessarily mean lawful boring or lawful nice.)

hey call me intrigued.

i also must applaud you on your username. we have the mind of Christ, i hope. personally im debating with myself as to whether this venture will prove profitable or harmful, but we will see.

that this all takes place on earth is interesting, albeit somewhat jarring. are we in the future with all history being the same or is this more like a 'speculative' take? if the latter, im the more intrigued to hear more details and more than willing to help by barraging with questions lol.

ive also got a particular investment in all things arthurian. would king arthur count as a mythical creature?

hey call me intrigued.

i also must applaud you on your username. we have the mind of Christ, i hope. personally im debating with myself as to whether this venture will prove profitable or harmful, but we will see.
Thanks!

eldorado said:
that this all takes place on earth is interesting, albeit somewhat jarring. are we in the future with all history being the same or is this more like a 'speculative' take? if the latter, im the more intrigued to hear more details and more than willing to help by barraging with questions lol.
Aside from the forgotten war with the spirits, history has remained the same. The spirits launched all of earth's nuclear missiles in 2020, causing the apocalypse.

eldorado said:
ive also got a particular investment in all things arthurian. would king arthur count as a mythical creature?
Since King Arthur was a human, he, unfortunately, wouldn't count as a mythical creature. However, any beasts from Arthurian legend are free for the taking.
Seems cool, very interested
Awesome!

Care to make that 6? Makes splitting up easier, at least.

Hello there! This caught my eye and I was wondering if you’ve got some extra room? Really love this concept!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back