The Skuttlebutt

I want to roll on the Destiny Spread bit, which I believe there's 20 options in each Past, Present and Future?

Here's what I got: [dice]490[/dice]

3 of Swords Past: You learned to fight early; your uncle taught you how to fire a pistol when you were only nine years old. Since then, you have had to defend yourself often. You gain the Firearms skill for free.

6 of Swords Present: You have just returned from a journey along the river, where you stopped in Eisen. Gain the Language: Eisen Advantage for free.

4 of Swords Future: Miracles do happen, as you shall see (Moment of Awe 2)--If you don't have Pirate Nations or Waves of Blood I can tell you what that means.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is so weird, 3 of Swords in my copy of the Castille book is different.

Ahhh, that makes sense! Also, I would like to know what Moment of Awe means.

Moment of Awe means at some point you saw something amazing it could have been the 7th Sea, a city of gold on the horizon, a swashbuckling stranger of amazing skill, anything awe inspiring really. You spend time seeking to recreate that moment or find that person or place. Like all Backgrounds anytime that search crops up as a major point in a story you get extra XP based on it.

jaq.jpg

Character Name:
Don Antonia Rios de Rodriguez del Castillo

Nation: Castillian (Torres)

Bonus Trait:
Finesse

Traits (64 pt)

Brawn:
●●○○○ Finesse:●●●●○ Wits:●●●○○ Resolve:●●○○○ Panache:●●●○○

Swordsman School (25 pt): Aldana

Basic Curriculum: Courtier, Fencing

Swordsman Knacks: Feint (Fencing) ●○○○○ , Tagging (Fencing) ●○○○○ , Riposte (Fencing) ●○○○○ , Exploit Weakness (Aldana) ●○○○○

Technique - Apprentice: The Apprentice is known for their lightning-fast reflexes and aggressive fighting style. You may roll one unkept die for Initiative for each Mastery Level you have in Aldana.

Advantages (25 pt)

Appearance (Above Average) (5 pt)

1k0 to all social rolls

Blessing
(3 pt)

All damage dealt to character is reduced by 1 Flesh Wound. Applies once to each separate blow (or Hit from Brute Squads). Cannot take sorcery or shamanism.

Roving Don (3 pt)

Character is displaced noble. Starting income is 6,000G, no monthly income, must spend 50G/week living.

Castillian Education (10 pt)

Starting Civil Advanced Knacks cost 1 HP per rank. Character speaks and reads Thean.

University (2 pt)

Starting Civil Skills cost 1 HP.

Castillian Blade (Torres) (2 pt)

2k2 Fencing Weapon; adds 3 to Damage rolls.

Castillian Accent (Torres) (Free)

Character speaks Castillian with a Torres accent; changes costs for purchasing Languages.

Language (Montaigne) (Free)

Character speaks Montaigne.

Language (Eisen) (Free)

Character speaks Eisen.

Language (Thean) (Free)

Character speaks Thean.

Skills (21 pt)

Acrobat

Balance:●○○○○ Footwork:●●○○○

Balancing:○○○○○ Break Fall:○○○○○ Circus:○○○○○ Contortion:○○○○○ Juggling:○○○○○ Leaping:○○○○○ Lifting:○○○○○ Rolling:○○○○○ Stunt:○○○○○ Swinging:○○○○○

Athlete

Climbing:●●○○○ Footwork:●●○○○ Sprinting:●○○○○ Throwing:●○○○○

Break Fall:○○○○○ Leaping:○○○○○ Lifting:○○○○○ Long Distance Running:○○○○○ Rolling:○○○○○ Side-step:○○○○○ Swimming:○○○○○ Swinging:○○○○○

Courtier (School)

Dancing:●●●○○ Etiquette:●●○○○ Fashion:●○○○○ Oratory:●●○○○

Diplomacy:○○○○○ Gaming:○○○○○ Gossip:○○○○○ Lip Reading:○○○○○ Memorizing:○○○○○ Mooch:○○○○○ Politics:○○○○○ Scheming:○○○○○ Seduction:○○○○○ Sincerity:○○○○○

Criminal

Gambling:●○○○○ Shadowing:●○○○○ Stealth:●○○○○

Ambush:○○○○○ Cheating:○○○○○ Lockpicking:○○○○○ Pickpocket:○○○○○ Prestidigitation:○○○○○ Quack:○○○○○ Scrounging:○○○○○

Fencing (School)

Attack (Fencing):●●●○○ Parry (Fencing):●●○○○

Cavalry Attack:○○○○○

Performer

Acting:●○○○○ Dancing:●●●○○ Oratory:●●○○○ Singing:●○○○○

Animal Training:○○○○○ Circus:○○○○○ Cold Read:●●○○○ Disguise:○○○○○ Juggling:○○○○○ Memorizing:○○○○○ Prestidigitation:○○○○○ Sher Da Shi:○○○○○ Shill:○○○○○ Storytelling:○○○○○

Firearms (Free)

Attack (Firearms):●○○○○

Reload (Firearms):○○○○○

Destiny Spread

Strength:
N/A

Weakness: Reckless (+10 pt)

Past - Three of Swords: You learned to fight early; your uncle taught you how to fire a pistol when you were only nine years old. Since then, you have been able to defend yourself often. You gain the Firearms skill for free.

Present - Six of Swords: You have just returned from along the river, where you stopped in Eisen. Gain the Language: Eisen for free.

Future - Four of Swords: Miracles do happen, you shall see. (Moment of Awe 2)

Backgrounds

Moment of Awe 2 (Free)

3 of Swords actually works well with the backstory I had in my head far before I decided to roll my spread. Training under Antonia's maternal uncle behind her father's back and all.

That works.

I would also ask that everyone do the "other" 100 points.

Take 100 points and assign them to the following categories. Intrigue, Action, Romance, Exploration and Military. you can put from 0 to 100 points in any category so long as the total is 100. So if you put 100 in something then all the others would be 0. This is to judge how much you want to see those types of plot lines in the game.

Could I change the Hunted 2 background to Obligation in the same book? It specifically mentioned "Owe an important woman a favor".

Yeah that is OK. To be honest I really don't care if people roll or pick their destiny spreads so long as it fits their background.

So, what are the destiny spreads like for the Montaigne? How favorable v how detrimental? I don't have the Montaigne book, so I can't pick my own. What would I need to roll to get a spread?

Roll 3 d20s to pick. Also, they give you free stuff. Access to free Languages, Skills and Backgrounds, mainly.

Usually they are there to flesh out your character they aren't "killed the character" bad. You might end up with a Nemesis or the like as a background but that just means if your nemesis crops up as part of a storyline you get more XP for deal with them. You can always roll and if the roll just does not first your background they can be changed. There are 20 option for each Past, Present and Future.

FYI the book also adds the Boucher school (A street/knife fighting school), Rois et Reines ( a fixed bayonet school and Tout Pres ( an improvised "anything is a weapon" school). It adds the Gentry Advantage for 8 points which gives you a 10,000 guilder inheritance, the Night trained advantage for 4 point ( reduced night fighting penalties) and the Puzzle Sword advantage (cost varies). Puzzle Swords are really nifty magical swords with some crazy abilities.

Borrowing Mei's format...

Intrigue: 30

Action: 30

Romance: 40

Exploration: 0

Military: 0

So far the game is leaning toward some courtly style intrigue :wink: with all that entails (courtly romance and swashbuckling action). We will have to see what the others say.

Hmmm... Being a displaced don from Castille might prove to be a hindrance when trying to track down someone. Would our Montaigne or Vodacce ladies need a Castillian bodyguard?

IIRC a Roving Don is roving because they got their homeland looted by Montaigne... might be tricky when it comes to a Montaigne. How about bodyguarding the Castillian boytoy? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back