• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Senate (Nation-Building Inverted)

Error 420

One Thousand Club
TL,DR, the individual players will not be playing separate nations. You will be the rulers and representatives of city-states and kingdoms in one nation. You will democratically rule this nation, but the ultimate goal for you is to gain power over the other Lords, eventually taking control of the whole nation.

This will take place in a fictional nation based on Iron Age Rome. You will each control 48 citystates evenly split among you, with different strengths and weaknesses, but with a similar population. You all rule the country through its trials and turmoil with voting in a Senate. The results of these elections will result in positives or negatives for every citystate. For example, voting on going to war with the Carthaginians might cause problems with areas that are in the Carthaginian warpath or areas that supply soldiers for the nation. You don't necessarily have to obey the will of the Senate, but a choice like that may cause aggression from the other leaders.

This may seem simple, but Rome is surrounded by enemies, and filled with corruption and civil unrest. If the city-states disband, none will be strong enough to survive. We'll be using simple dice rolls for random events and occurrences. I'm not fleshing out details like citystates or a map until we actually get this off the ground.

Anybody interested?

I'll start working on it immediately.
I have an idea to consider as the RP progresses.

People who lose and have their city states taken away from them could maybe become smaller city states belonging to foreign lands bordering or somewhat close to this fictional version of the Roman Empire. Eventually if somebody wins and wipes out every other city state in this Roman Empire some of the losing players probably would be close to having entire countries under their control as well. Basically the RP's players would be able to fight and conquer on a large scale.

Last edited:
Maybe players that lose should be able to take control of smaller city states bordering this fictional nation.
I have an idea to consider as the RP progresses.

People who lose and have their city states taken away from them could maybe become smaller city states belonging to foreign lands bordering or somewhat close to this fictional version of the Roman Empire. Eventually if somebody wins and wipes out every other city state in this Roman Empire some of the losing players probably would be close to having entire countries under their control as well. Basically the RP's players would be able to fight and conquer on a large scale.

I think this may lead to the game over-extending itself. I like having a definite win state.

_Exodus_ _Exodus_ Pat Pat general ostruppen general ostruppen Fishman Lord Fishman Lord doodleSM doodleSM Monster Lady Gay-Gay Monster Lady Gay-Gay
I'll keep this from six to eight people for easy numbers, but I think I've figured out the gameplay. I'll be using Sid Meier's Civilization V as an influence.

Every city produces food, production, gold, and influence. You can change the amounts a city produces by building buildings and improving the land around you.

Food: Affects how quickly your population grows and how prepared you are for disasters. Improved by building farms, hospitals, ect. Decreased by increasing population. Low food leads to starvation.
Production: Affects how quickly you can build buildings and improve the land. Improved by building roads, windmills, waterwheels, ect. Decreased by stagnation. Low production leads to emmigration.
Gold: How much money you have to trade with others and pay soldiers and builders. Improved by building mints, banks, ect., and increasing taxes. Decreased by overspending. Low gold leads to poverty.
Influence: The cultural prowess over your rivals, and how much sway you have with their people. Improved by hiring artists, making propaganda, ect. Decreased by unhappy citizens. Low influence makes your people less loyal.

We'll take rounds, where every player does something in this turn. You can speak to other players through PM. In a single round, your troops can move a certain distance, you make a certain amount of progress on a project, and

The Map: Everyone starts with eight nearby citystates (with six players.) Sicily and Sardinia are not currently in game. For example, you could go with the map's Trentino-Alto Adige, Veneto, and Friulu-Venezia Giula regions as your region. If it doesn't evenly work out, I'll fix it up. Also, I know this map isn't of the Iron Age, it's of Modern Italy. We'll be removing the Vatican City as well, and the city of Rome will, for the time being, be a neutral city not in anybody's control.
497d4028555a34e5876912ab70e5c7f4.gif

The Sheet:
Senator: (You)
Territory Name:
Regions on map:
History:
Specialties: (Navy, military, farming, trade, special resources)

Senator: Septimus Munatius Triferus
Territory Name: Torino
Regions on map: Valle D'aosta, Piemonte, Liguria
History: Septimus hails from a house of honorable and notable ancestors who had helped to bring glory to Rome. His family ancestors were noted for their heroic task of assisting to conquer the northern parts of Italica. Because of this, they have been awarded some territory and a city-state. Since then, the family line has been training their sons to become brilliant generals and teaching them the tricks of politics.
Specialties: Military, farming, and medicinal

Last edited:
Senator: Lucius Manilus Senecio.
Territory Name: Táranto.
Regions on map: Puglia, Basilicata.
History: Lucius is heir to a long line of shrewd merchants who have bankrolled a variety of public works throughout Rome, eventually securing their family enough political favor for the current head of their industrious dynasty to be granted the coveted title of Senator.
Specialty: Trade.

Last edited:
Okay, I meant having multiple specialties, but I think it's better if you can choose between being very good at one thing or okay at a lot of things. You don't have to put what I put under specialties, those were just examples. But Pat Pat and general ostruppen general ostruppen those'll do. Making the RP thread now.

Senator: Quintus Caecilius Severio
Territory Name: Navum
Regions on map: Calabria,
History: The Navum Territory is controlled by the house of Caecilius. They have boasted having mastery over the seas and sow.

Last edited:
Senator: Quintus Caecilius Severio
Territory Name: Navum
Regions on map: Sicilia, Calabria,
History: The Navum Territory is controlled by the house of Caecilius. They have boasted having mastery over the seas and sow.
That's way more than eight cities, sorry.

So how do we do our turns? Or are you going to implement that sometime in the near future?
It's simultaneous, unless you're in a direct skirmish. Then we'll handle it differently. All that happens is that everybody makes a post in a round, no specific order.

It's simultaneous, unless you're in a direct skirmish. Then we'll handle it differently. All that happens is that everybody makes a post in a round, no specific order.
But what can we improve? How do our cities start out? That stuff I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back