• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Prophecy

Ion

Elixir through your veins
Sera groaned, sitting up from her Fanglorn with a yawn. In the morning sun, her canines blinked in the sun, a feature that came with being one with the Nox people. She stretched before rubbing her eyes, the morning was warm. She hadn't expected less of the early Spring Season.

Sera stretched her neck, smiling as Ylle turned around, a tongue hanging out from his massive canines to look at her with yellow eyes, 'Morning buddy,' she whispered, rubbing her giant wolf's neck. Ylle made a sound that resembled a cat's purr before speeding up.

Yes, Sera thought, she had indeed been sleeping shamelessly on wolf back again. As always, she had delayed her trip to the Capital for as long as possible. Now she was awaited in hours, for the Reaping. With a sigh she leaned backwards, lying on top of Ylle's silver fur as she stared up at the lighting sky, her legs dangling by the Fanglorn's sides.

She remembered it as if it were yesterday.

'They've done it again! Sera! Sera?' the voice shouted, awaking her from her sweet slumber. Rayne appeared in her room, her sister's black hair messy as she pointed a finger towards the outside of the decorated tent, 'They've burnt down the front defences!'

With a shot Sera sprang up, leaving the warm nest of her bed for cold reality, 'They what?' she hissed, not even caring about her nightdress but immediately grabbing the sword she had by her bed, unsheathing it, 'Is it the savages or...?' her voice trailed off, knowing Rayne would know what she meant.

The dead look in her sister's eyes said it all, 'It's the Lightfolk,' the girl nearly growled before running back outside.

Their village had been a mess, bodies scattered like broken toys. Fanglorns torn apart by mechanical machines, blood coating the rich earth, suffocating it.

Sera could remember her feet, the bloody marks it left behind when she finally found her parents. When she finally found their corpses, from then on all Rayne could do was stare at nothing. And that was what she was doing now. Under the care of their grandmother.

When Sera had heard of the prophecy she had jumped at the opportunity. She would enter Lightfolk territory if necessary, she would find that damn prophecy child and convince him or her to choose her people. The Nox. Those that were wronged by the Lightfolk, those prejudiced pricks.

Of course the officials called for her as one of the leading representative of the Lightfolk. Over the years she had taken over leadership of their tribe, she had left everything behind. Determined to lead her people towards victory.

Of course those pompous assholes needed her.

'Come on Ylle,' she whispered, sitting up abruptly and grabbing one fistful of the Fanglorn's silver neck fur, 'We have to make it before sunset,' with a swift low whistle, the silver wolf shot forward, covering the large distances of Nox territory towards the flying fortress of the Capital.

In the sky, the Capital floated, like an out of place island that found itself in sudden midair. Lightfolk had cut down most greenery and the only things they had close to Mother Nature were the makeshift forests and gardens they had built at the edges of their districts. From there, long vines draped down towards the ground, in the Summer children would climb up and down the vines as if they were ropes. It gave them an adrenalin rush.

As Sera neared the massive fortress she sought for the stairway. In midair, with nothing holding it to the ground except for the mechanic works of the Capital itself, it tended to spin lightly on an invisible axis and the stairway changed places every few minutes.

Sighing she caught sight of the long spiral, made out of what would seem mechanic stairs. Making Ylle sprint towards right under it she looked up, her eyes squinting close because of the midday sun, 'Hey! I am Seranylle Ninuriel of the Blackwater Tribe! I am here for the Reaping!'

Above she could hear guards laughing, growling in frustration, she got up. Standing on Ylle's back as she cupped her hands around her mouth, 'Hey! Seranylle Ninuriel of the Blackwater Tribe, reporting for the Reaping!'

Slowly, nearly pain stakingly a mechanic shifting sounded, the glinting metal stairs out of reach for any person on the ground unfolded slowly. To then stop just outside of Sera's reach.

A capital guard came down, his collar white, like all the rest of the pretentious bastards were. He hauled out a clipboard, flicking through it slowly, his eyes skimming it near lazily. Occasionally glancing down at Sera, who now had her hands on her hips.

Sera's black hair was braided back, showing her ears, which per Nox tradition were pierced with three piercings through her right ear. She wore her riding clothes, a black tight shirt, soft leather pants and sturdy low black boots. Normally she'd go barefoot but her grandmother had insisted her to be more presentable if she were to go to the Capital.

'Alright then,' the guard drawled, turning back to wave, the stairs unfolded more and Sera jumped off Ylle, one hand on the wolf's large snout.

'My mount is coming with me, I assume it is on your piece of paper,' she hissed, more than annoyed and insulted that he had taken this long to check her. It was discrimination. Just because she was a Nox.

The guard sniffed but let her pass and Sera entered enemy territory.

She would get her revenge, damn the Capital people, nature crushing animals.

The Capital had been built long ago, the first time when Lightfolk and the Nox people crashed. They could not coexist on the ground, those who weren't good with animals, who didn't have it in them to hunt and kill. Over time, they had built the floating fortress, a void between their more instinctual siblings. Now they stayed in the Capital, learning more, greedy for the information they consumed.

The Capital was built up pretty simply, alike a triangle there were districts. At the bottom were the workers, who did not have enough brain capacity to contribute to building the Capital. They hunted and did small jobs.

The middle ring consisted out of merchants, those with enough money to sponsor the geniuses up above.

At the very top was the Council, the idea factory. The place where all decisions were made. And Sera had to go all the way up there, to attend that damned meeting. To determine who was going to retrieve the prophecy and who wasn't. There was going to be a fight, she heard.

Let them come, she thought grimly as she tried to ignore the looks Lightfolk citizens were giving her as she directed Ylle through the small streets. Folk here did not ride mounts, they rode in little mechanical machines, soulless things, she thought as she watched a man step out a great hunk of tin foil.

It stunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharkali walked in a line behind other fellow Lightfolk. His hands were tied to a large tree trunk that he and the others were forced to carry on their shoulders, to prevent escape. He glared at the armed Nox who were transporting their new prisoners. They had taken to beating any who were too slow in their march. After walking for hours the ones of them that had not been killed off for being slow of weak were starting to get tired. Sharkali had to watch as they killed an old man who had struggled to hold up the trunk in front of him. The man had been a mentor to him during his short time on the ground and his loss had made his hate for the Nox only grow. As they crossed one final hill the Nox village came into focus. Sharkali gritted his teeth when he realized what hung from the wall around the village. The wall was lined with the decapitated bodies of Lightfolk while the heads littered the bottom of a monument that was stained red.

Sharkali and the others were apart of a survey team who went down to the ground to find new resources and collect samples for study. They had been on the ground for only a few days when the Nox attacked. The group was composed mainly of worker class citizens and scientist, both young and old. Sharkali decided to come down when he heard about a new material with the strength of a metal that could be easily absorb light. Sharkali's field of study at the moment was light manipulation so that metal, if real, would help to advance real world application of his theories. He had found the material, but it was on their way home that the Nox attacked. Sharkali guessed that they attack just out of spite but they were swift and ruthless. Before long most who could fight were dead and the rest were captured and strapped to a tree trunk forced to march away from their home.

The Nox began to chant as they got closer to the village. Soon their sounds were joined by voiced inside of the village and the chant resounded through the air. "What do you think is going on Shar," a man behind him asked. Sharkali looked around as the others looked towards him for answers. " If I had to guess..." Sharkali was then cut off by one of the Nox hitting him across the head. Sharkali felt warm blood start to flow and he faded out of consciousness for a moment. When he came too he heard the crying of a woman. She seemed to be pleading, Sharkali identified the voice as Shelly's.Shelly was a nice woman who came down to try to collect some extra food for her family who had trouble making enough money. Sharkali then heard a thud and multiple others after, like a ball bouncing. He then felt something hit is knees and stop in front of him, it was Shelly's head. Sharkali looked up and noticed he was in front of the large stair stepped monument and he watched as a Nox man kicked Shelly's headless body from the top of the monument. Sharkali snapped.

He thrashed as one of his captors led him up the stair step to the top of the monument. They laid his head down on an altar and he glared at the man as he raised the knife. The wind suddenly picked up and became a tempest. "Look's like help has finally arrived," Sharkali said his words followed by the thunder of gun fire and grenades. Sharkali jumped into action kicking the man who held him down off of the monument. He smiled as he heard the man fall to his death. The man with the knife stabbed at him, but Sharkali caught the blade, took it from him and slit his throat with it. By the time he cut himself free the village was nothing but scorched earth and bodies. " We got the distress signal from you arm band we came as quickly as possible," a man stated " Come with me and we will fly you out of here." Sharkali looked at the dead man next to him. " I will be there in one second," Sharkali stated and the man took off. Sharkali then beheaded the Nox's corpse and sent the head rolling down the monument to join the others. Before leaving he kicked the body off the side as he had seen the Nox do moments before. When he got into the helicopter he received worried looks. He did not return any of them he just kept looking at the monument and said "We can leave now."

Sharkali heard someone running towards him while he laid down on a bench in the third tier garden. "Hey Shar did you hear," a boy a few years younger than him said "There is a Nox here. She had he wolf and everything." Sharkali waved him off as he got up from the park bench. "I know," Sharkali said "That reaping thing is going on. It doesn't matter to me, I have tests to run." Sharkali stretched after he stood. He had spent a large part of the day sleeping on that bench. The garden was on the edge of the Elija and offered one of the few places in which you could look unobstructed over the land and sky. There was no walls here which made it the perfect place to test his newest invention. He looked at the boy and saw the backpack he was wearing. "Good it seems you are ready for the test," Sharkali said " You can jump off the side now." The boy let out a yelp. "You never said I would be jumping off the side of Elija," the boy stuttered " Do you know how high that is?" Sharkali looked at the boy with annoyance. " Approximately 7.57 miles or 12.192 kilometers," Sharkali stated "It's just high enough for you to see your life flash and then regret your actions, now jump." The boy started to back off and when he did Sharkali pulled out a grenade, removed the pin and threw it into the air above them. " That will come down on our location in ten seconds," Sharkali said with a smile " Jump or die." The boy looked shocked. "You wouldn't have," the boy questioned. He then met Sharkali's calm confident grin. " That's a real live grenade isn't it," the boy realized. Sharkali smiled and said "Yea it is and it will cause just as live of an explosion in three seconds." Sharkali then ran towards the edge the jump off with the boy right next to him.

When he reached the edge he stopped. The boy could not react fast enough to stop himself so he flew off of the side. "What the...." The boy yelled his voice being lost in the fall. Sharkali held out his hand to his side as he looked over the edge studying the boy as he fell. The grenade landed exactly in his hand without him even looking. " Your crazy if you think I would set off a live grenade in the world garden," Sharkali stated to himself " The council would never let me hear the end of it and I refuse to give them any more reasons to nag me." After a few seconds of falling the boy's backpack released and became a glider. Sharkali smiled when he heard the boy let out a gleeful cheer."Looks fun," Sharkali said as he watched to boy fly around " Well I have a few tests of my own to run." Sharkali twisted the grenade that was in his hand and it started to glow. He then threw it over the side and it exploded into a field of black smoke. Sharkali then took a few steps back, started into a run, and did a gainer off the side into the black cloud. After a second Sharkali broke through the cloud with a pair of black wings protruding from his jacket. "This is awesome," Sharkali yelled as he cascaded through the air.

Sharkali flew around for thirty minutes. Unlike the boys glider his glider should have the ability to produce propulsion, so he could actually fly, hopefully. The boy landed on the first tier, but Sharkali wanted to really test his glider so he went to the ground near the steps. When he landed his wings receded and combined with his jacket and he was called over by one of the guards. "Hey Shar, Rhyner wants you at T3 HQ he says that you were chosen for the reaping and you need to get up there fast," The man said "He also said stop playing around our futures are at stake. He also said to call you a show off, his words sir. That's all sir, I will lower the stairs for you quickly." Sharkali hid is momentary anger at his sudden choosing behind the grin he got from his friend calling him a show off. "There is no need soldier I can get back up myself, " Sharkali said as he walked to a more open space " Hopefully." Sharkali then went into a crouch with one hand on the ground and prepared to jump. While he was in the crouch the wings began to form again and when they were about to touch the ground he jumped. His jump was propelled when the rest of the wings exploded from the jacket. Unlike before when they were spread out now they were sticking strait down and shooting off light towards the ground. Soon Sharkali was airborne and flying back up towards Elija.

Last edited by a moderator:
‘I'm afraid you'll have to leave your… companion here,’ the assistant said, watching the Fanglorn with a dubious gaze.

Fanglorns were special creatures. Made to fly over the ground like sea hawks in flight. They were huge, coming in a variety of colors. Tails were long but usually feathered out in three separate ones near the end to help balance as they ran. Their teeth, were extremely expensive. After all, it was near impossible to kill a mature Fanglorn and to wrench its fangs out was also a gorey and complicated task.

Sera patted Ylle gently, kissing the beast’s muzzle as the assistant turned away with disgust, ‘Alé,’ she whispered, ‘Alé,’ the Fanglorn gave a soft whimper as his owner stepped away but sank to its hunches at Sera’s words, doing what she wanted: stay.

‘I'll show you to the Meeting Room,’ the male assistant said, tight lipped as he watched the Fanglorn bare his canines at him, as if daring him to do something to its owner.

Sera had never been in the Council before, let alone in a Meeting Room.

All she could do was describe it as: cold.

Black stone created a rectangular room, it's ceilings so high she couldn’t make out the end of it. Around the room there were tight lipped white dressed ladies. In dresses that stopped above their knees, silver platters on polished hands. Sera grinned, food and drink.

Grabbing a biscuit inlayed with something that smelled like meat, Sera popped it into her mouth, chewing as she took a seat at one of the chairs lining the long table.

Looking around she noticed that she was the only one from Nox and, smoothing her black hair behind her ear she sighed, drumming her fingers on the black table.

The only lights in the room, hung alike orbs captured in crystal glasses on the walls. Casting a ghosty light over all that were present.

She ignored the amount of stares she was getting.

‘Welcome ladies and gentlemen,’ a soft voice sounded and heads swiveled to look at a man. Dressed in all white. Even his hair seemed white, the only thing that didn't seem so ghostly pale were his eyes. A brilliant flashy green that seemed to light up things as well, ‘Welcome to the Reaping’.

Sera shivered, not because of the coldness of the room, but because of the man's voice. It was soft, so calculated and feigned weak that she felt extremely, extremely uncomfortable.

‘As you all know,’ the man continued, long pale fingers touching onto the black table in front of him, ‘we are here because of the prophecy’.

There it was again, Sera thought. Her way to get revenge, yes. But how many times exactly did she need to hear this blasted story?

Thankfully for Sera, the man did not retell the story of the prophecy and she sighed in relief, catching annoyed glances from the people around the table.

‘For those of you that do not know me, I am Lacon, in charge of this whole operation,’ the man took a seat in the hoisted leather chair at the end of the table, his eyes roaming over the table before he closed his eyes, ‘Where is Sharkali?’

Men around the table started to mutter amongst themselves about some man and Sera leaned back, her arms crossing before she spoke up, ‘I'm sure we can do without him’.

All these people were just wasting her time. She'd waited years for this opportunity, darn it if she had to wait for some person.

The Council fell silent, eyes boring into Sera with more than contempt but Lacon, seemed to enjoy her little outburst. He smiled, a smile so fairly saccharine that Sera had to hold in another shiver, ‘You must be Tribe Leader Seranylle of the Blackwater’s?’

‘Indeed,’ she replied, ‘I have been summoned to come to this… Reaping. I want to get to it’.

For a second she thought Lacon’s eyes had narrowed but then he smiled again, ‘Of course,’ directing his face to the other members he continued, ‘The Reaping will include ranging up the best fighters and scholars in the city. String them up into groups and have them head out. The Prophecy has stated that ‘all things will come to light in the direction of the Southern Wind’, we will have them travel to the South’.

‘The South?’ a larger man shouted. He had in a dark green robe, white hair and a white mustache. The very portrayal of a merchant in the city. Numerous golden rings gracing his fat fingers, ‘There has been no documents there. We do not know who lurks there,’ he protested, his numerous chins wobbling with indignation, ‘I refuse to send Ephrail to that place!’

Lacon stayed silent and Sera felt the mood turn sour.

‘Your son will have to succeed in the Reaping before we can even talk about his.. delicate situation,’ Lacon announced and the fat man’s face turned a rashy red.

‘How dare you-‘ he spluttered.

Sera sighed, leaning back into the leather chair. She closed her eyes, if this was going to be the Meeting, it was a ridiculous joke. She much opted for a quick little nap as the men bickered like women over bribes and politics.

Sharkali decided to land on the first tier in order to meet of the the boy who had assisted him. As he walked through the workers section he got waves and smiles from the people around him. He had always enjoyed these people over the ones on the third tier. They like him partook of handwork on a daily basis. What he enjoyed most was their understanding of their situation. Most of them were not bitter about not being in a higher tier, instead they realized that they had their own role in keeping their fellow Lightfolk alive. They realized that everyone was good at something and instead of hating others for what they had they prided their own worth and used what they were good at to better themselves. Sharkali returned all their waves and smiles because out of all the groups of people on Elija these were the one he thought of as family.

Some kids ran up to him as he walked through the street one of them was the boy with the backpack. "That was so much fun, although I though I was going to die at first," the boy said " Here you go Shar." Sharkali smiled and put a hand on the pack to keep it in the boys hand. " You have really helped me out today Sammy," Sharkali said " That is yours now, use it however you want. I just ask you one thing." The boys face lit up with glee. "Sure what is it anything Shar," Sammy responded. "Don't keep the fun to yourself," Sharkali said with a smile " It really seems like the others want to try flying through the sky too." Upon hearing Sharkali's words the kids started to yell and nod their head in agreement. "Also this is for you guys," Sharkali said " Be sure to share with your other friends and family." Sharkali opened the backpack and inside it was packed with food from the third tier. "What, that was inside the bag," Sammy questioned " How did it open up with that in there?" Sharkali just shrugged his shoulders and said " I'm not sure Sammy, maybe in a few years you will tell me." Sharkali then waved bye and began to run taking off into the sky when he was a safe distance away from the kids. "He is so cool," the kids yelled after he took off before running through the streets to share the food they got and to tell people about what they just saw.

Sharkali quickly made it to the third tier and made an overweight woman in a white gown topple over when he landed on the wall with his wing in full extension. "Monster," she yelled as she scrambled to rise. Sharkali casually hopped off the wall and with the sun behind him being blocked by the wall the woman was able to see him. " What Sharkali is that you," the woman said as the made it to her feet " You nearly gave me a heart attack." "I know, I can see your heart beating through you chest Rosa,"Sharkali said as he walked past her towards the council chamber " Wanted to raise some endorphins to help you with your latest project." "Thank you, but right now I'm on break," Rosa stated. As Sharkali walked off he yelled "Your always on break." It did not take long for him to get there, but when he noticed a large creature sitting out front. A grin crossed his face when he saw it and he sped up to get next to it faster. " Yup that's the real deal," Sharkali said with a smile " They look a lot less menacing then I thought they would." An assistant walked up to him as he knelt down next to the creature studying it. "Sir Sharkali," the assistant said " The others are waiting for you." Sharkali kept his focus on the creature, it acknowledged his presence, but it did not make a move. Sharkali assumed that it had been told to stay here while it's owner went inside. " The council member are masters of monologue and harbingers of hot air, besides I have something far more interesting in front of me at the moment," Sharkali stated " Those people have most likely already started arguing about something senseless anyway so I have time."

"Hello Fanglorn my name is Sharkali, but people who don't have sticks shoved in the wrong place call me Shar." Sharkali said with a smile " Would you like to come inside this place with me to see your master?" Sharkali then made a motion towards the door. The creature looked towards the door, but he did not move. Sharkali smiled "You are a good companion," Sharkali said " I wish there was more creatures in the world like you." Sharkali started to move to pet him, but he stopped realizing how bad of an idea that could end up being. Instead he pulled out two pieces of jerky from one of his pockets. He popped one in his mouth and he placed the other in front of the fanglorn. "That's yours for letting me study you for a bit," Sharkali said as he walked towards the doors to the council room "Well, time to make some waves."

Sharkali walked through the doors casually making sure not to disturb the event taking place. As he expected the people were arguing. As soon as he entered Rhyner spotted him. Rhyner made his way from the wall where he was standing guard. " Where were you I sent a man to the world garden and you weren't there," Rhyner whispered " Then another one of my men tells me you're on the surface, why can't you be normal." Sharkali whispered back " Normal is boring and I was testing a new invention, the real question is why am I here?" Rhyner shrugged and responded " I don't know, Lacon just told me to tell you that you were chosen for the Reaping." Sharkali gave a nod before saying " Alright then, let's see what I was needed for." As Sharkali started to walk away towards the center of the group he smiled. Rhyner caught this and hurried after him whispering " Hey don't do anything crazy, just walk in like a normal person." Sharkali's smile widened as he said "Never."

Sharkali moved through the room like a ghost. The people were so far into their argument they ignored him. " I don't have time for this, time to get some attention," Sharkali said. He clapped his hands together and when he did all the light in the room rushed towards him, making everything pitch black except him who was blindingly glowing. The conversation stopped and changed gears when the room when dark. " Why have you have summoned me," Sharkali said as he walked towards the main table. He then brought his hands together again and quickly pushed them out to the sides. The light that covered him then spread through the room back to wear it came from allowing people to see him. "Let's go I have better things to do with my day," Sharkali proclaimed flatly. Rhyner rolled his eyes at the back of the room as under his breath he said "You are such a show off."

The Nox’s eyes shot open as the room suddenly went dark. Light was coming from a man that was now walking to a seat. ‘Let's go I have better things to do with my day,’ he said as he sat down and Sera, for once, agreed.

The lights went back on and he dimmed, her eyes narrowed lightly as her brain raked for what devilish device could've made this happen. The Light Sucker.

Lacon straightened, brushing a lock of white hair from his face. It seemed that the argument with the fat man had been rather agitating, ‘Glad that you have finally joined us Sharkali,’ he sat down, placed those pale fingertips together before he spoke, ‘You have a day before the Reaping starts. I've already chosen a few dozen to face up to the challenge but there is of course a difference between the elite team and the rest,’ Sera watched how Lacon directed a sly look at the larger man.

‘The Reaping,’ Sera spoke up, tired of the man speaking in riddles, ‘is it a fight?’

Lacon was quiet for a moment, letting the Nox realize her unwelcomed presence as heads swiveled to give her annoyed looks.

‘Yes, we’ll put you in the training room. Pick a weapon of your choice – own weapons are not allowed – and whoever gets down first, well, loses,’ Lacon muttered, leaning back, ‘The rankings will show for themselves…’ with a sigh the man stood, ‘Now, I have things to do and places to be. The Reaping starts at the rise of the first sun. Dismissed,’ the white man turned, disappearing through a black door.

Ylle’s ears perked up when he caught the familiar scent of his owner.

Sera appeared just a heartbeat later, in the blinding sun. She had taken her braids out, black hair now in soft waves down her back towards her midriff. Bright green eyes surveying the courtyard before they came to rest on Ylle.

As Sera came closer she dug her face into the beast's fur, and smiled as Ylle nudged her with his snout.

‘Thank God that's finished,’ she whispered, scratching her mount behind his ear before noticing the jerky, ‘Who gave you this buddy?’

Sera picked it up, sniffed it once before tearing a piece of. She chewed, frowning as she waited for the poison but when none came she shrugged, ‘Open up,’ Ylle’s jaw widened. Rows of sharp glinting white teeth and a long tongue. Throwing the rest of the jerky in his mouth Sera swung onto his back, ‘Let's go find that inn’.

Sera was taking deep breaths. Not only had she endured most of the disgusted looks today, she had been tired of the whispering that she could obviously hear.

Now standing in her small inn room she was studying herself in the mirror. Maybe she did look too serious and warrior like? Time to blend in.

Untying the bag she had brought with her, Sera poured its contents out over her bed and found the clothes she had been looking for.

It was the only color she had in her closet, if people even defined it as an actual color.

The light grey shirt was flowy and long, reaching till her knees. Making it a tunic with a black belt, Sera pulled on her black boots before leaving her room, time to explore.

As night fell, Sera and Ylle were roaming the streets. None on the upper tier were still awake, busy with their beauty sleep.

The two moons were gravitating, shielding each other by a half as they shed light for the Nox and its mount.

Nearing a fountain Sera stopped, patting Ylle’s neck as the Fanglorn drank, obviously thirsty. The innkeeper had been too paranoid to give them more water than a bucket and the large wolf was obviously dehydrated.

Sera sat on the fountain edge – entirely unaware that it might be sacred -, leaning against Ylle's right leg as she yawned.

She wondered what her teammates would be like. Obviously they'd hate her guts because she was a Nox. The idea was slightly depressing.

Although she wasn't here to make friends, Sera did hunker for some ever since she closed herself off when her parents died. When her sister got her brain fried and didn't do anything but stare into the air.

Her mind flitted back to Sharkali. Lacon seemed to think he was important.

Shrugging Sera got up.

It didn't matter whether they were good or not. She was better and she didn't even use any devilish weaponry.

Patting the wolf gently she whispered, ‘Come on Ylle, let's go’.

Sharkali rolled his eyes when he heard about what the reaping was. " Well it looks like my time will be wasted again tomorrow," Sharkali said as he began to walk out, as he did Lacon finished and did the same through another door. Before he left Rhyner grabbed him by the arm and pulled him to the side. "Two things," Rhyner said " How did you do that and why are you such a show off." As he listened he was quickly distracted by the Nox woman leaving. He studied her as she walked and was quickly snapped back to the conversation when Rhyner looked in her direction as well. "I used my jacket to absorb the light waves and store them," Sharkali stated bringing Rhyner's attention back to him " To answer your second question, I show off to get attention quickly. It always works so I have decided to adopt it as a normal practice."

Sharkali then led Rhyner out of the room and they began to walk and talk. " Your showy nature aside," Rhyner said "What are you going to do about the reaping?" Sharkali stopped for a moment and looked to the sky. " I don't expect anyone to actually fight me," Sharkali said " They are all afraid of me, as they should be." Sharkali then continued to walk. Rhyner kept pace with Sharkali while they walked towards his lab. " Why are you doing this anyway?," Rhyner asked " As soon as I heard what was going on I expected you to flip a table and walk out." A grin crossed Sharkali's face. " You know me very well," Sharkali said " The reason I did not do just that is because he was offering something I wanted. Ever since the last expedition no one other than military personnel has been allowed to go to the ground and I am deemed to important to be apart of a tier one profession that would risk my life. I don't know what changed, but I have a chance to explore the ground again. I will not let that go to waste." Worry spread across Rhyner's mind, but he did not say anything.

When they reached Sharkali's lab Sharkali walked to the back of the room and grabbed various tubes, bags, spheres, and strings. " I am staying at your house today, I hope your wife wont mind," Sharkali said. Rhyner laughed as he helped Sharkali carry some of the stuff. "I love how you just invite yourself to my house," Rhyner said " It's fine Mary said you can stay any time, it gives us a reason to have a guest room anyway. Beside with all the stuff you have made us we owe you." When the two of them left towards the first tier they chatted about their lives and their thoughts on the world. It was only when they reached the first tier that Rhyner actually asked what the stuff they were carrying was for. " This," Sharkali said " It's just another fun way that I can mess with the people on the third tier." Rhyner rolled his eyes again realizing that trouble was bound to happen. As they walked some kids spotted them. "Hey it's Shar and Rhyner," one kid said as they ran towards them " What are those for? Are you going to do something cool again?" Sharkali smiled at him. "Yes I am tell your friends and family to meet at the square at night time and you will see then." The kid gave him a toothy smile and ran off through the streets to tell everyone.

Rhyner's home was not very large, but compared to the smaller three room homes that made up most of the first tier it was sizable. When they arrived a tall woman with a slim build and flowing blond hair was waiting outside for them. "Hey honey and it seems you brought Shar with you," Mary said " You can't help but make a scene can you Shar?" Sharkali smiled and gave Mary a kiss on the cheek as passed her to put his things down. "I can't help it," Sharkali said " It's a sickness of mine, I gave up on looking for a cure." Rhyner gave his wife a long full kiss before the two of them came inside. "So I heard that there is something going on at the square," Mary said "What do you have planed this time." After getting a drink of water from the refrigerator Sharkali walked back to his materials and started to piece them together. "I plan to play with explosives," Sharkali said with a smile.

As the sun started to set Sharkali, Rhyner, and Mary left the house to go to the square. They arrived early to find that word had really spread. Even merchants from the second tier had made their way down and it had become a small fair equipped with games and food. It wasn't long before the sun went down, but Sharkali was ready. " Well ladies and gentlemen I am glad you could make it," Sharkali said "I am going to skip the long winded speech and let the fun start." Sharkali then clapped his hand pulling the light from torches to him. He controlled the light and made it flow through the crowd. Once he had everyone's attention he made the light pass the different setups he prepared. The energy from the light lit the different fuses when it touched them. Sharkali returned the slightly dimmed light to it's original places and soon the dark sky erupted in an explosion of sounds and color. "What are those," Rhyner yelled over the explosions " Are you shooting live grenades into the sky?" Sharkali shook his head and yelled back "No that's a waste of resources. Those are something different, I call them fire works. They are kinda like grenades though. Rhyner wrapped an arm around Sharkali and Mary as he laughed and looked to the now bright sky with child like wonder and said " Shar, I hope you never become normal." Sharkali smiled and threw an arm around his friend as he yelled "I wouldn't dream of it."

Sera first saw the bombs in the sky when she had returned to the inn she was staying at.

The air filled with smoke and gunpowder.

The Nox wrinkled her delicate nose before muttering, ‘Stinking Lightfolk,’ and made her way inside.

The Reaping was tomorrow and if she didn't watch out, she wouldn't be put on the elite team.

Sera stripped herself of her heavy clothes before starting a series of push ups. Both hands, one hand each and then pull ups using the wooden curtain ledge in front of her small inn room.

It was long past midnight when she decided that she was finished, drenched in sweat.

Sniffing her skin lightly, Sera flinched. She always managed to get herself to sweat like a mule at the end of such exercises.

Opening the window, the young woman closed her eyes. Letting the breeze brush over her red cheeks. She had to go get a bath.

There were no showers in the inn, she had opted for the cheapest one available in the Capital and now, as she leapt out onto the roof, she was reminded of the fountain she had let Ylle drink out of.

Trying to remember the way she'd came, Sera made her way to the clean source of water under the moonlight.

The fountain looked just as it had that afternoon; with white stone and clean flowing water.

Sera quickly looked around and upon seeing nobody, started to strip.

She had pulled on a big oversized black robe when she came out, her feet bare.

Letting the robe quickly drop to the floor she stripped further, entirely nude, she slipped into the fountain water.

It was cold but Sera relished in the cool feeling against her skin. She let her head sink under, her black tendrils of hair plaguing the surface before she came up.

It looked like Sera were a part of the fountain.

She stood, black hair down her back and lightly tanned limbs. A water nymph maybe.

Squeezing the water from her hair she was just about to step out when she heard voices.

‘I think it's absolute crap,’ a man exclaimed, sounding angry and rather agitated.

The other man piped up, sounding slightly younger, ‘Maybe they're serious about this whole thing’.

‘What? Benji stop being stupid. We all know the prophecy is a huge joke,’ the first man exclaimed again.

Letting just her eyes loom over the surface of the water the green orbs made out the men in the dark.

There was an older one and then a younger. Both were dressed impeccably, obviously men from the first or second tier.

‘Hasn't your father done anything about it then Ephrail?’ The younger one questioned, obviously a follower.

The first man named Ephrail grunted, ‘That old hound is getting old. Lacon isn't that easy to placate. I'll just have to nail that reaping tomorrow’.

She watched as they walked away, her eyes narrowing. She'd show those idiots.

Sera didn't even check her surroundings as she climbed out of the fountain and wrapped the black robe back around her.

Black hair lit by the moonlight as she ran back to her tiny room in the inn.

Lacon wasn't present at the Reaping and Sera had been left dubious as she was shown to the room where the contestants would have to fight each other.

It seemed that every room in the city was destined to be black marble. Even this room had high ceilings and smooth walls that would be impossible to scale.

The only thing that was different were the racks of weapons that lined the walls.

Quickly, Sera's eyes skimmed the weapons.

Maces, spears, bows, swords, more swords and even more swords. A variety that went from scimitar to double handed to… Double edged.

Sera felt her mouth water. She always did have a thing for swords. Especially the double edged ones.

‘I hope everyone's on time,’ a loud voice echoed through and a pair of gloves hands clapped together, ‘We will close the doors then,’ with a light wave the heavy doors were pulled close by two guards.

Sera felt her green eyes narrow, of course they wore white, the high collared bastards. In between her subjective hate she could make out how heavy those doors were. Probably as thick as her thigh, they looked extremely heavy.

With an ominous sound the lock clocked shut. The fact that it echoed through the room like some kind of omen didn't help.

‘What we have here are the best and most experienced fighters we could gather,’ the gloved person continued and a look up showed Sera it was in fact a woman.

She hadn't expected that. The woman's voice had been entirely unisex.

‘This is an assessment that will take three days. I'm hoping that all of you will be as quick and effective,’ she paused for effect, ‘as you can possibly be’.

The gloves hands were clapped together again and Sera couldn't help but hate how put together this woman looked. Tight bun, pursed lips… Blond with blank ice cold blue eyes. She felt her eye twitch.

If the Capital would have a stereotype. It would be this ice queen.

‘This,’ a glass box was held up, ‘is filled with all your names,’ the box was shaken and Sera watched the neatly folded paper squares shift against each other like insect wings, it nearly reminded her of home, ‘We’ll have to choose randomly. Everyone will have one chance. The winner processes to the assessment tomorrow and so on. If you lose,’ the ice cold gaze swept over the crowd. Staying particularly long on the Nox, ‘you'll be asked to go back to where you belong’.

Sera commended her for sounding so venomous while keeping her composure.

She watched the woman dip in two fingers, catching one square paper. It was folded open slowly, ‘Reese Lightington,’ a woman stepped forward out of the crowd. Blond ponytail, sharp blue eyes and a smirk on her face that screamed confidence.

Another name was chosen, ‘Roran Hights,’ this time it was a man who stepped forward, thick arms bulging from a short sleeved shirt. He had a black buzzing hair cut and equally dark eyes.

‘Choose your weapons,’ the presentator woman said curtly, an arm moving to gesture at the weapons aligning the wall, ‘One weapon per person. However, if the weapon gets broken… You may make a run for the wall to get another one… If your opponent doesn't catch you first. I'm assuming we all know the rules, no deaths. Occasional bone breaking is allowed but let's not get messy, pin the other down and have them surrender,’ the two first contestants have a nod and then picked out their weapons.

They were quick in choosing and Sera watched as the girl took a short sword while the man chose a hammer.

That would turn out to be interesting.

Or not.

The man was down on the floor within ten minutes. Reese on top of him like a wildcat. A claw like hand around his throat and a dagger point at his throat.

Reese had surprised everyone with agility, flexibility and some serious pent up aggression.

The blond woman noted something on her board before waving. Two guards stepped forwards to let Roran out as Reese was excused and allowed to sit on the bench on the other side of the fighting mat.

The next few couples were not intriguing to Sera. She had seen it all before. Bows. Swords. Maces.

There seemed to be a pattern. After every three male winners there'd be a female. There were near to none male against male or female against female coupling. And Sera couldn't help but think they manipulated the glass box just a bit.

‘Ephrail Rebus,’ another man stepped forward but Sera wasn't looking. She was staring at the double bladed sword with more attention than to the reaping.

She knew she probably needed to pay attention but it was calling to her. No one had touched it just yet.

‘Seranylle Ninuriel,’ the woman uttered, before repeating herself when there was no reaction, ‘Seranylle Ninuriel!’

With a shock the Nox woman stumbled forward, a shock of soft laughter moved trough the crowd.

She was the only Nox. An outsider.

Sera didn't take long to choose a weapon. The double edged sword felt good in her hand. It fit beautifully, as if it were made for her height.

It was made of smooth black wood and carved with beautiful iron at the tips, the blades were sharpened nicely, narrowing down to a deadly point.

Although Sera did not like the capital. Their weaponry was better than those they made in the forest.

It was only when Sera stood before Ephrail that she realized he was the man she'd seen yesterday night by the fountain. The cocky one.

‘I'll take it easy on you Nox,’ he said, looking her up and down, the appraising glance in his eye was disgusting.

Sera had to hold herself in.

It was true that Nox didn't wear the clothes that capital women wore. Her black shirt was slightly shorter, exposing a thing strip of tanned stomach, there were no sleeves and her slender tan arms showed. Her pants were black too, skin fitting. Her feet had no shoes but white bandage like bonds that were wrapped around the ball, heel and soft middle of her feet. It gave her more agility and better flexibility than shoes would have offered.

She sent a grin to Ephrail, making sure she showed him the light wildcat like fangs all Nox had before she settled into her stance.

It was a near crouch as she settled back on her right leg, her left leg stretched in front of her. Her right hand held the sword, her left hand held his head between its fingertips.

As expected, Ephrail charged at her. His weapon was a broad sword and he swung, wanting to slice her in half but Sera sprang up. Elasticity a strong suit, she nearly jumped half the height of the room before landing a heel in the man's eye socket and rolling to the other end of the mat.

Ephrail bellowed but turned, ignoring his now half closed eye before he charged at her.

Like an animal, Sera snarled in her head as she raced forward to meet him.

He swung at her again but Sera managed to slide through the wide stance of his legs. The only thing was that he caught her by the hair.

He yanked up and she growled in pain. He had wrapped her black strands around his fingers an dangled the petite Nox in front of him.

Sera watched him bring his arm back to thrust at her with the sword. This was no simple game of pinning her down and having her surrender. He was going to slice her in half.

Setting her nails in his forearm she pulled herself up and sank her fangs into his wrist. Disgusted that she tasted blood she let go quickly but it had hurt him enough.

Ephrail let her go with a howl of pain and Sera rolled away, this time not giving him time to recover she swung at him.

The sword was a part of her body as she lashed at him, twirling it above her head effortlessly as he avoided clumsily.

When he attacked she dove back, knowing she couldn't fight him with sheer strength.

It was in her kneeling stance, the sword held up between her two hands as Ephrail swung it downwards, that her sword was hacked in half.

It splintered, one part of the middle section of black wood sinking into her shoulder and she let out a soft hiss of pain.

Instead of reaching for a new weapon Sera dived forward. Gripping his face by digging in her nails she swung forward, making her foot connect with his crotch.

The man wheezed and as he bellowed in pain Sera took a short sprint, jumped, wrapping her legs around his neck she twisted and the mountain of a man fell down.

Using her leg muscles to keep him in place Sera growled, an entirely animalistic sound that would make anyone in the capital have their neck hair rise, then planted the two halves of her sword on either side of his neck, right to the inside of her legs.

Ephrail didn't need to surrender. It was clear as Sera got up, flipping her black hair over her shoulders as she made her way to the winner bench.

The mat had two holes where the swords stuck and on either side of Ephrails neck there were small streams of blood where Sera had hoped, would teach him some important lessons.

Pulling out the piece of wooden shrapnel in her shoulder she threw it onto the mat before sitting down, a hand on her bleeding shoulder.

After a long night Sharkali awoke to the smell of bacon and the crackle of eggs frying. "I love you more than your husband ever will," Sharkali yelled from his bed. Sharkali heard Mary laugh and moments after Rhyner yelled from the bathroom " Your love will never compare to mine." Sharkali got out of his bed with a laugh. He threw on a his clothes from last night rolling up his pants until they were just past his knee. He slid on the shoes that he used for training and left his jacket. His hair was messed up but he didn't let that bother him, it was not like he was trying to impress anyone.

As he left his room he stopped in the kitchen. He received a look from Mary who took in his disheveled appearance, but she just smiled and shook her head knowing that was just how he was." I heard you have big fight today," Mary said as she handed a plate to Sharkali. Sharkali took the plate and grabbed a piece of toast throwing it into his mouth. " Yea there is a fight," Sharkali said between bites " But I am not sure I would call it big." Rhyner came into the room and grabbed a plate of his own. "Hey, don't get cocky, anything could happen," Rhyner stated " I have lost many good men to over confidence." Sharkali scarfed down the rest of his plate before responding. " I fight on par with the greatest soldier in the history of Elija," Sharkali said "And since he will be here on his day off with his wife, I will be fine." Rhyner smiled and Sharkali returned it with one of his own. "I have to go," Sharkali said " I don't want to be late, they said they would lock the doors." Sharkali gave Mary a hug goodbye and headed out.

Sharkali had never liked the designs of some of the buildings on the third tier. To him they were a waste of resources that could be for better things, but he left the frivolous people to their frivolous things. Once he was inside they closed the doors and the reaping began. Sharkali let out a chuckle at how over the top the whole process was. When he learned the reaping would take more than one day he rolled his eyes. "Can we not just have a massive free for all and let that be the end of it," he said to himself. Chandra finished her explanation and then began to draw names. Sharkali watched as people were chosen. He smiled at the fact that most of the people were taking about the Nox woman and not him, he enjoyed not being the center of attention sometimes. While fights went on Sharkali used this time to listen in on some of the conversations that were going on. "Yes, my father used his influence to give me an easy fight," One man said. The girl across from him nodded in agreement. "I feel sorry for whoever has to fight Sharkali," the girl responded " He is not normal, my mother says that he might not even be a Lightfolk." The boy nodded back to her. "Yea his skin is dark like a Nox's," the man responded " He even spends his time with the ones and twos. He doesn't deserve to be a three like us."

Sharkali did not say anything to them, instead he walked over to Chandra and sat in the shadows behind her. "Hello Chandra looking as beautiful as always," Sharkali said " How are the rigged fights going." Chandra's face went red. "I don't know what your talking about," She said as she called out the next set of names " You can see that it is all random." Sharkali flashed her a smile. " So your telling me that if I was to look at those pieces of paper, they wouldn't be blank." Sharkali said as he pulled out a sheet of paper from his pocket and showed it to her "I lifted this from you when I came over." Her face went redder as she turned around to grab the paper. "Give that back," She said " Damn you Shar, stop making life hard." Sharkali grabbed her by her waist and pulled her close, after planting a kiss on her he put the paper into her hand. No one noticed their exchange because the fight was going on. "Shar," She said her face flushed " Not here I'm working, and this is serious." Sharkali stood up and began to walk off. "Nothing that can be won with money is serious," He stated " Also can you do me a favor, I want to fight that gentlemen over there who is talking to the girl with the red hair." Chandra looked at her list. "He paid specifically not to...," She stopped as she met Sharkali's gaze " Fine, but you owe me." Sharkali then walked off as he said "Anything you want love."

As he was about to leave to rejoin the crowd he stopped when he heard a name he didn't know. "Who is Seranylle Ninuriel," Sharkali wondered. His question was answered when the Nox woman walked foreword. Sharkali stopped and took a seat next to Chandra. "This I must watch," Sharkali said. Sharkali became fixated on the woman as she moved. Her style revolved around quick rapid movements and flexible springy movements, different from the wild style of the Nox he was use to. Sharkali let out a sigh when she got caught by her hair. "I was expecting a lot more from a Nox," Sharkali said " This is a depressing way to see this end." To Sharkali's surprise the woman was able to get free and even managed to turn the fight around. Sharkali stood up with a smile when she roared and sunk the broken pieces of her weapon into Ephrail's neck. "Now that is what I expected," Sharkali said unable to remove his grin " That was savage." He watched as a medical team went out to help him. The crowd immediate went into an uproar after the events finally sank in. Some of the others had started to make moves toward the Nox woman. Sharkali walked over as well.

As he walked over the others who were approaching her backed off. "Very nice," Sharkali told her " You fought well out there." Sharkali looked at the wound, it wasn't bad, but it would still need to be taken care of. He put some water in a bucket and brought it over to her, ignoring to looks he received. "I highly doubt you will want one of us to help you, so here take this," Sharkali said as he removed his shirt ripping most of it into a long strip. He put the rest into the water for use as a cleaning rag. "I will assume you know how to clean and bandage your own injuries." Lorious Springton and Sharkali Amadeus," Chandra pronounced. Sharkali gave the Nox woman a smile. "Been fun, I hope to talk to you later," he said " Also, I must say your companion is one of the nicest creatures I have met in a long time, well trained too." He then walked off towards the fighting area. "What," Lorious yelled to Chandra " This can't be right, I was not suppose to fight him." Chandra just turned her head questioningly as she said "I don't know what you mean, everything is random, so please go chose your weapon the fight will start when your ready." Lorious then huffed and stomped off towards the wall saying "My father will hear about this." Sharkali gave her a smile and a nod of thanks before walking to the wall himself.

Sharkali looked at the weapons on the wall then he looked at Lorious. "Yea that will be good enough," He said as he turned away from the wall empty handed and walked to the center. "Taking me lightly," Lorious said still angry " I will make you regret that." Sharkali just motioned for him to come over. "I look foreword to your attempt." Sharkali said with a bow. Lorious pulled two rapiers off of the wall and made his way to the center. "You may start when ready," Chandra said. " I will enjoy making you look like a fool Sharkali," Lorious said as he got into his stance. Sharkali shrugged his shoulders. "Whatever you say," Sharkali responded " I guess I will have to show you manners." Lorious because furious and charged.

Lorious was well trained, but his actions were rushed. He performed exactly according to his training, his body moved as his body had remembered it should, and against anyone else that would have been an advantage. Lorious lunged with quick sharp stabs. Sharkali dodged them with ease one after another, predicting the strikes. Sharkali just danced around as Lorious stabbed at him. " I have always liked the piercing eagle fighting style," Sharkali said as he dodged "It's so precise, I once saw a woman split a hair length wise. I was quite a wonder to watch. I guess that Mistress Herlock is your instructor, your form seems to be quite similar." Lorious yelled "Shut up and stop running away." Sharkali laughed and said " I'm sure that remaining calm during battle is the first thing Mistress Herlock taught you, you don't want to forget the basics." Lorious' strikes got wilder as he got tired and more frustrated. " I would never call that bitch my teacher," Lorious said "She talked way to much and didn't teach me anything, my master is Gerald." Sharkali's eyes became cold and he glared at Lorious causing him to stop.

Sharkali then walked slowly toward him. " Watch what you say boy," Sharkali said " I think I will have you bow and apologize for your foolishness." Lorious gathered himself and began to strike at Sharkali again. Sharkali dodged them swiftly as he moved in rapidly. When he was close Lorious slashed horizontally in front of him. When he met Sharkali's cold eyes he knew he had messed up. Sharkali dropped down and kicked the stationary sword out of his hand into the air. He then popped up and grabbed the back of Lorious' shirt pulling it over his head. With a swift motion Sharkali caught the moving arm brought it around bending it over the back of Lorious' neck and stabbed it through the shirt on the other side of his body shoving it into the ground. In a quick instance Lorious was stuck to the ground with his shirt over his head his arm bent around his neck, all held in place by his own sword. He tried to free himself, but his contorted arm caused extreme pain and he was tangled in his own shirt. Sharkali stepped on Lorious' head pushing it into the ground as he casually caught the sword he had kicked into the air. He ground it into the floor as he coldly said " I think you own Mistress Herlock an apology." Lorious just squirmed and cursed as he said "Fuck you and fuck her, ah let me go." Sharkali took the other sword he had and stabbed it through the Lorious' free hand crossing the two swords over his neck, planting the second firmly into the ground. Lorious let out a loud scream.

Most of the people watching just sat there shocked while others, the guards included, started to move in to break of the fight. Sharkali just looked through the crowd and everyone who had though of moving froze like the rest. Sharkali then returned his attention to the crying man in front of him. You have something you want to say," Sharkali said as he pushed his face deeper into the ground. "I'm sorry," Lorious cried " I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." He kept repeating it as Sharkali removed his foot and walked off leaving him under the cross of swords. As he walked towards the doors the people parted around him. He stopped at the door and the guards looked at him. "Open them," Sharkali demanded. The guards quickly complied. " You know where to find me," Sharkali said as he walked out of the room.

Sera hissed at those who made ready to walk towards her. They acted as if she had killed the man. All Ephrail the prick would suffer from was a bit open wrist and scabs on both sides of his neck. They should be happy she didn't permanently scar his neck, otherwise, they'd just have to make that damned pompous high collar suit just a bit more… High collared.

Plus, grabbing a woman by her hair was entirely savage, she hoped the idiot was going to suffer for trying to take her out on unfair grounds.

It was when a man stepped forward that the others moved off and Sera’s eyes narrowed. He had been sitting next to that blond bun woman.

His slightly darker skin intrigued her but Sera quickly bat that off. He was probably out more. In no way did he look like the Nox men did with long black hair and broad bare shoulders.

When he talked, her mood darkened. A slick talker.

He praised her, like he would some pet that had finished doing rolling over tricks. She didn't need his appraisal.

She was relieved when he walked away but then he returned with a bucket and proceeded to strip off parts of his shirt. What made him think that she'd want to use something that had touched his skin to clean her wound? Was he an idiot? She didn't even need help. Sera ignored the throbbing complaint of her shoulder.

The man then continued to say that it had been nice to talk to her. Did he mean the one sided conversation?

It was only when he mentioned Ylle that she emitted a sound. Something in between anger and confusion.

Before she could throw him questions and orders to stay as far away from Ylle as he could before she'd order her Fanglorn to rip his head off, he had been summoned.

So this was Sharkali.

She watched him.

His movements were different than the rest of the Lightfolk. He didn't look trained, or even angry as he dodged the man's continued stabs.

She watched the man named Lorious stab around like a child. He seemed to waste so much time making such graceful lunges to only end with a useless stab.

Sera snorted softly, she already knew who'd lose.

They spoke to each other during battle which was something she thought was a Lightfolk thing. They liked to waste their time on words and taunt each other meaninglessly, as if they were still nine.

A light smile tugged at her lips as she watched Sharkali pin the man down with his own sword and the smile widened when he actually pierced him.

Had she known that it was allowed to do that, she wouldn't have let Ephrail off so easily. But then again, it seemed that she had to try and keep it low key since she was a Nox.

When Lorious was left to be a bumbling mess Sharkali left, and Sera watched as they opened the doors for him.

Was he special? Lacon had spoke of him.

Did she care?

Sera rolled this thought over in her head as the man on the mat got carried away.

The answer was no.

The fights that ensued were boring to her, they were all trained. They all followed the rules. There were no more men like Sharkali.

When they were dismissed morning had passed and the early afternoon sun greeted her as she stepped out.

‘Watch it,’ one of the winners hissed as she purposely walked past Sera, making her shoulder collide with hers.

The Nox let out a hiss of pain and Ylle was there immediately.

A ripping roar sounded through the courtyard and everyone turned as the Fanglorn bared his teeth at the one who he had seen bully his owner. It was a frightful sight to see the creatures talons grow out, making screeching noises in the stones below their feet.

The woman made off hastily and Sera quickly swung herself onto Ylle’s neck before they'd get into too much trouble.

The Nox held her head high as they moved through the afternoon crowd.

She hadn't used the bucket or cloth Sharkali had offered and the heat was making her shoulder hurt more.

Making their way to the inn, she led Ylle to the open garden at the back where there were four walls but no roof.

Under the stringy tree she sat, removing her shirt to inspect the wound.

Bandages were wrapped around her chest area for better maneuvering during battle but now they restricted her labored breathing.

Sera tore them loose lightly and sucked in needed breaths of air as she took a look at her shoulder.

Ylle was watching her too, yellow eyes worried.

‘It's ok buddy,’ she whispered, turning to look at her wound.

Wood had sunk in deep but she was lucky it didn't penetrate her muscles. It was a flesh wound.

Opening the wound with a hiss she found the troublemaker.

A splinter of wood was still lodged in and as she reached for it she howled in soft pain but couldn't dig deep enough.

Growling, she unsheathed the small dagger she had tucked by her thigh, within the cloth of her pants. She always carried it around her, it wasn't a break of reaping rules if she didn't use it. And there was no way she was going anywhere with a large amount of Lightfolk without a single weapon.

Setting the dagger into her shoulder Sera started carving.

Ylle whimpered as he watched his owner open up her wound and then extract a splinter the size of her own finger. It was a thin piece.

Letting it fall to the ground Sera beckoned for the Fanglorn.

Ylle lay by her before he started to lick her wound. The salivary glands of a Fanglorn were like disinfectant and could help easy wounds recover but Seras was a bit too deep.

Ripping a part of her own shirt off, she wrapped it around her shoulder before kissing the Fanglorns nose, ‘Thank you,’ before making her way up to the room.

Her night was restless and despite Ylle's help, her shoulder was still in pain. She really needed stitches.

Sera ignored it, only waking up in the middle of the night to fasten the knot on the cloth which was already soaked through with her blood.

It was typical that she would be the first one to receive a lasting wound.

When the sun crept up in the early morning Sera groaned, sitting up on her bed with a soft gasp as the pain shot through her arm.

Great, she had to fight again today.

There were less people around the second day around and it was apparent that the competition would be tougher than yesterday.

Ylle had licked her wound again that morning and she had stripped another one of her shirts to bind her wound.

The only shirt she had left was white and she only hoped that the bandage wouldn't leak through.

Already Sera stood a distance away from the rest of the group, obviously unwelcome as she dawdled at the crowd edge and watched the ongoing fights.

The same blond bun ice queen was there, with the same glass box and Sera couldn't help but feel they chose competitors on purpose and that it wasn't by random at all.

Near the end of the competition it had narrowed down to four people, the man Sharkali from yesterday was one of them.

Sera rolled her shoulders, trying to disguise her handicap and wished she wouldn't have to go up against him. She wasn't up for it today unless she broke her arm trying.

‘Seranylle Ninuriel,’ Sera sighed softly as her name got chosen.

‘Malida Thibault,’ came the second name and Seras eyes narrowed as she recognized the woman that had purposely bumped her on the way out yesterday.

Truthfully she was pretty, a brunette with green eyes just like her. But nowhere near as vibrant as the forest color of Seras.

The woman chose a graceful long sword and Sera opted for a light dagger.

She held it with her right hand, at least it was light enough to not cause her too much pain.

Malida smiled at her when they stood on the mat, a malicious smile that meant just as much as a threat, ‘How's the shoulder?’

Seras eyes widened for a split second before Malida attacked and she was forced to jump back.

She needed to shield her shoulder, she thought, wincing as Malida aimed a powerful blow. Sera was forced to block it but she flinched, to block sheer force was a bit too much for her at the moment.

Gritting her teeth she tried to think of a strategy, with each blow from Malida her bandage seemed to seep through with blood and soon the crowd could see that Sera was still hurt.

Her white shirt had seeped through with blood.

Malida gave her a malicious grin, ‘Is your shoulder bothering you?’

Sera growled, copying Ylle's sound before she pounced forward, making a clean flip over Malidas head and at the same time flipping her over by gripping her shoulders.

The woman came down on the mat with a gasp of breath and Liv climbed on top, ready to thrust her sword down, the same way as yesterday.

But Malida hadn't won yesterday for no reason and her foot came up, managing to hit the back of Seras shoulder. The Nox flipped forward, hissing in pain.

Sera got grabbed at, Malida sunk her talons into her face, making red scratches over Seras cheek before the Nox growled in frustration. She was done playing.

Her knee came up, knocking the wind out of the woman on top of her and then she thrust the heel of her left hand up, right under Malidas chin.

The woman fell back when her neck cracked.

When she stood up again Sera had had enough. It seemed that she wouldn't stop unless she got knocked out.

Gripping the hilt of her light sword she took in a deep breath. She needed her shoulder for this.

Sera performed a fine series of sword swings, the momentum of the swing didn't take her much energy at all but were effective enough to block any blows Malida tried to land on her.

She sought the moment when the woman had to take a small gasp of air, her defense lowered and Sera shot through.

Her left fist came in contact with the woman's nose and then she turned, near graceful, and her right heel shot up.

She aimed it so she wouldn't kill the woman by kicking her head off, just a few broken teeth. Her heel hit the top of her chin, strong enough to make her jaws snap shut painfully and fly back onto the mat.

It was over.

Sera winced as she put a hand up to her right shoulder. Her palm came away with red.

She walked to the door, leaving her light sword on the mat next to an unconscious Malida and the guards let her through with wary glances.

Sera stumbled her way to the courtyard and Ylle immediately bounded over, lowering himself to let her flop herself over his back.

Ylle howled softly, not knowing where to go but he was faintly aware that Sera was losing blood, too much blood. She should have gotten it stitched yesterday.

The river of scarlet ran through his silver fur. A stream after a massacre.

Sharkali calmed himself on the walk out. He knew that he went over board, but lessons needed to be taught. He didn't have very many close friends, but the ones he did have he was protective of. Mistress Herlock was one of his close friends, she had been there for him after the expedition. She had given him the tools to never let what happened to him happen again, and had given him a passion that made him the man he was today. As he thought about Herlock a smile came to his face. "I hope I see her when I am finally allowed to leave," Sharkali said. Sharkali then made his way back to the Rhyner's house.

When he got there he was greeted by a smile and a questioning look. "Back so soon Shar," Mary said with a cheerful smile " Why don't you have a shirt, was the fight harder than you thought?" Sharkali shook his head before saying " Now my fight was no contest. I gave my shirt to a woman in need." Mary then gave him a questioning look similar to the one Rhyner was giving him to begin with. Sharkali walked into the living room not responding to the looks they wanted him to acknowledge. "Why are you here right now Shar?" Rhyner asked " The doors should have been locked." Sharkali laid down and gave him a shrug. " I was the last fight," Sharkali lied " And the others were very quick as well, it's why I got home so quickly." Mary came over and looked down at Sharkali from the side of the couch. She looked at Sharkali for a moment before walking back to the kitchen. "He's lying honey," Mary announced. Sharkali rolled around on the couch to face them. "How does she do that?" Sharkali asked " It's not fair, how am I suppose to get away with anything." Rhyner laughed. "You don't," He declared " Trust me, it's easier to just tell the truth." A ringing came from a device in the living room. "Yea you may not want to answer that," Sharkali said "I think that may be the guards ratting me out." Rhyner glared at Sharkali as he marched over to the device. "What did you do?" Rhyner asked as he lifted the device to his ear and pressed a button " Yes, this is him. Yes, speak freely soldier. Yes, he is here. He did what you say. Swears vengeance you say. Thank you for your report private. Yes, you as well, goodbye."

Rhyner put the device down calmly and turned to face Sharkali leaning against the wall. He fiddled with his ring as he often did when he was agitated. "You stabbed him through his hand," Rhyner uttered slowly. Sharkali sat up ready to jump at any moment. "It was self defense," Sharkali proclaimed " I tried to be civil." Rhyner's expression didn't change as he said in the same fashion " You ground his face into the floor with your foot." Sharkali let out a sigh of defeat. "God, yes fine," Sharkali said " He had it coming, he talked bad about Herlock. He was not getting off easy. In fact I should have done more." Rhyner shrugged his shoulders. "Alright," Rhyner said as he walked towards the kitchen "Just make sure it doesn't happen again." Sharkali popped off the couch and did a dance. "I got off easy," He sung " Yea, I got off easy. Cause my friend he loves me, and he is a softy." Mary laughed a Sharkali's impromptu song and wiped tears from her eyes when her husband got called a softy. "Just to make sure you don't go overboard," Rhyner said softly. Sharkali saw Rhyner whip around quickly and before he knew it a knife buried itself into his in chest. Sharkali hit the floor and started cursing. "Don't worry I missed everything important it's just a flesh wound," Rhyner said casually "It will make using your arm difficult for a bit though." Mary looked shocked for a moment, but quickly went to grab her medical kit. " I will kill you in your sleep on Christmas," Sharkali barked between his cursing "When did you even grab that knife?" Rhyner poured himself a drink and sat down at the table before responding. " O that," Rhyner said "I palmed it when you first walked in, I knew you had done something." Sharkali kept rolling and cursing. "This is a little drastic don't you think?," Sharkali asked. Rhyner took another drink and then nodded. "Drastic, but effective," He stated " I have learned anything less doesn't work with you." Mary came back and knelt next to Sharkali. "This is going to hurt," Mary said " Try not to move, it's close to your heart." Sharkali lifted his head to glare at Rhyner. "This is what you do to the best man at your wedding?" Sharkali asked. "Yea," Rhyner responded " You should see what I do to people I don't like. Pull honey." Mary then pulled the knife out of Sharkali. He gritted his teeth and cursed more. "I will have my revenge," Sharkali yelled.

Sharkali woke up the next day his left arm weak. He looked at his wrapped body. "Man she is really good," Sharkali said to himself " It's nice to have a doctor on call." Mary walked in with some clothes and helped him change. Today he was dressed much more like a third tier citizen than normal. He wore a white vest with a flowing back and pure white flowing pants. It looked like a hanging rack for curtains, and has dark skin only made the white stand out more. "I look like a snob," Sharkali whined " Cant I have normal people clothes."As if on cue Rhyner yelled from the kitchen "No this is a punishment." Sharkali walked out of the room with Mary right behind as he rounded the corner to the kitchen said " You threw a knife into my chest." Rhyner shrugged and bit into some toast. "Yea I know," Rhyner responded "I also left you with no permanent damage, would you like me to fix that or do you want to wear the clothes." Sharkali huffed as he sat down at the table. "You married the devil," Sharkali told Mary as he went at the food on the table. " Yea, but he's my devil," Mary said as she joined them at the table. They spent the rest of dinner eating and giving each other a hard time, and soon Sharkali had to leave.

When he got to the second tier he saw one of the boys from the first tier gliding down from the third tier. He smiled as he walked up the stairs to his destination. He was a really late, but he doubted that he would have an early fight anyway, not after what he did during the last one. When he made it to the entrance he saw the Nox woman make her way out. He greeted her, but she seemed to have ignored him. "Sharkali Amadeus and Dahamon Elderridge," Chandra announced. People turned to face him when he walked in. People started to whisper after seeing his clothing. He walked up to the wall and grabbed a spear. The crowd perked up at his choice. The words twin lances passed through the crowd. With spear in hand Sharkali made his way to the center, Dahamon joined him with a shield and sword in his possession. "It is an honor to fight one trained by the general himself," Dahamon said. Sharkali spun the spear around with his good arm stopping it under his arm. " It is an honor to fight someone so polite," Sharkali responded. " Come whenever your ready, I will respond with all I have." Sharkali turned his body toward Dahamon and pointed the towards the ground, easing into his stance. "I wouldn't have it any other way," Dahamon responded.

When Dahamon moved in Sharkali's dance began. The spear went from stationary to a spinning glint of death in an instant while Sharkali danced from one place to another. Dahamon looked for an opening, but could not find one when he prodded. Sharkali managed to deflect or dodge the blows while still keeping the spears and his own momentum going. Dahamon raised his shield and tried to enter Sharkali's space from behind it. Sharkali hit the shield with the back of his spear prompting an attack. Dahamon pulled his shield aside and stabbed just like he wanted him to. Sharkali spun around the strike and entered into the open space. As he came in Dahamon had skillfully brought his shield back. Sharkali ran up the face of the shield and went air borne. He spun around and slammed a kick into the shield sending it and Dahamon flying backwards. When he landed Dahamon looked up to Sharkali who was still hanging in the air. He had spun again and thrown the spear while Dahamon was still flying. The spear was too close Dahamon couldn't react fast enough, so he braced for the contact of the spear. Dahamon waited, but did not feel the pain from the spear piercing him only the sound of the spear making contact with something. He looked around and saw Sharkali standing above him. He turned his head to the left aware of something there and saw the spear a few centimeters away from his neck. Dahamon let out a laugh. "O hell, I yield, that twin lances thing is apparently not a joke," Dahamon said with a smile, still laughing " You are just something else aren't you, I didn't stand a chance." Sharkali smiled and helped Dahamon up. "It was a good fight," Sharkali said " I enjoyed myself, find me if you ever want to fight again." Dahamon kept laughing as he picked up his weapons. " No I think I will stick to normal people for now," Dahamon said as he walked off " Maybe after I've done a lot of training." Sharkali pulled out his spear and returned it to the wall. " I will see you all tomorrow, same time " Chandra pronounced " You are dismissed." Sharkali made is way out right after the fight, he didn't want to risk his arm in a crowd.

When he made it outside he noticed the Nox woman laying over her wolf companion. He then saw the blood forming a puddle under the wolf. "That's not good at all," Sharkali said observing the cause of the bleeding "You may want to have that looked at." He thought about running to his lab grabbing some gunpowder and burning it shut, but it seemed the more barbaric of possible options. He looked at the blood, timed how much was coming out over a short span of time, and then did some calculations in his head. "Good you have enough blood to make it," Sharkali said turning his next words towards the wolf " Follow me if you want, I will take you to an excellent doctor I know. She will be able to fix her up no problem." He then started to walk to Rhyner's house. As he did he stopped a guard and asked "Could you please alert Doctor Mary that a patient may be coming to her home soon?" The guard nodded and ran off and when he did Sharkali continued his walk to Rhyner's house.

Sera was faintly aware of herself losing blood. She wouldn't die, she was too tough to go so easily but it was annoying. She didn't have the energy to stitch it herself right now.

She just felt… So tired.

Being so far away from her home, from nature, seemed to take its toll.

There was nothing in the capital that gave her comfort. The city was based on technology, stone and stinking fumes. She could smell it even now, as her face was buried into the fur of Ylle.

Her senses were numbed as she focused herself on her cut. It became aware to her that Ylle was moving.

Ylle had been but a pup when he first met Sera. The wolves of the Nox lived in miniature packs. Like small families that trekked through the forest, never staying in one place.

It was a challenge for any ready hunter of the Nox to win a Fanglorn for him or herself.

They'd track the beast's with more seasoned hunters and then fight the Fanglorn parents for their children.

Sera had not been ready at the time. She'd followed one of her childhood friends when he had been ready to fight for a Fanglorn. It had been her father that led the son of his right hand to the fiercest nest of Fanglorns they knew.

These were extra big, fierce but royal. They lived and died with their riders and Seras father wanted the best for his best friends son.

Sera had followed the group of men out Of the forest.

As a small child she was good in climbing trees, swinging on vines. Sera was one with the forest. Silent, as she stalked the group of men.

She had watched Vayn fight the Fanglorn father. A gigantic beast, black as the night with eyes so green they looked like fern leaves.

Vayn had won when he cut the beast's tendons, forcing it into a limp.

As Fanglorns could regenerate the beast had admitted its defeat and offered Vayn it's litter.

Her childhood friend had chosen a black pup, and the group of men had left.

Sera had stayed, fascinated by the pack. And she had spotted Ylle for the first time.

He was a silver fuzz ball, constantly getting licked and pampered by his mother for he was weak and sicker than the rest.

Though most Fanglorns had green eyes, his were so light they seemed yellow, his fur had been in patches.

It had taken more than a hundred trips back to the pack, and many times of getting lost, when the Fanglorns finally decided to use the food Sera offered to the young pup.

A bond was formed and when she was of age, Ylle's mother had fought her until she was sure that the young Nox was worthy of her son.

It had been five years now and Ylle was a part of her.

Having their history Ylle had to think when the strange man appeared again.

He recognized him, he was the one who had attempted to talk to him, the one who had offered him food when he waited for his rider.

Now he seemed to want him to follow.

Would he?

Sera was indeed losing blood and the Fanglorn rose up – a massive proud animal – and trailed the man from a safe distance.

‘Vayn!’

The man looked up. Hair as black as midnight and eyes so green, they mirrored the forest greenery, ‘What is it?’

‘How long have you been sulking?’ his brother smirked, crouching down next to Vayn, ‘She's only been gone for three days’.

Vayn growled and pushed him, making his older brother fall over with a soft laugh, ‘Go away Lisaac, go pester someone else’.

Lisaac sighed as he got up, patting the dirt from his pants, ‘Fine then I won't tell you the news’.

He gave Vayn a cocky smile before walking towards the tent opening.

Vayn growled under his breath, ‘What’.

‘We’re going to go visit her when she's done. Tomorrow,’ Lisaac smirked, disappearing, ‘Get ready. We leave at dawn’.

‘Where are we going Ylle?’ Sera whispered, her fingers gripping the animals fur as she forced herself into a better position.

From between her Fanglorn’s triangle ears she could make out a man. The silhouette of someone who seemed familiar and her green eye widened when she recognized. That lope. It was Sharkali.

She pulled weakly at Ylle’s fur, as if she had the strength to guide the large animal now.

She didn't know where this Sharkali was leading them. Was he going to eliminate her? Poison her? Kill her in an alley?

If he eliminated her it would mean no more Nox in the capital. No more Nox on the elite team. The competition would be easy. The standards would go down.

This was what all Lightfolk were. Backstabbers. Snakes. Damn them all.

Sera let out a savage growl which wasn't as loud and feral as she had wished it to be. She had lost blood and her strength as well.

Her fingers slid trembling to the blade she had by her leg – the prop that would've led her to disqualification if they found it during the reaping – and closed around the hilt.

She'd slit that little neck before he could even try.

" Are you sure that you want to be out here," a soldier said " We only just got you back to Elija." Sharkali just looked a the man. He could see that he was well seasoned. He carried himself with an air of confidence and he held a spear at his side unlike the other soldiers. "They killed many people I had grown close to, and I want revenge," Sharkali said. The man looked at him, he understood where Sharkali was coming from, but knew he should try to talk him out of it. "I know your angry," the man said " But, revenge never solves anything it just adds to the issues." Sharkali gave the man a cold stare and the man could read the trials Sharkali had been through through them. "You misunderstand," Sharkali said " I would be angry if they had just killed my friends, but they didn't do that. They led us on a death march and then sacrificed who was left on an altar, casually kicking their headless bodies off the top into a pile as their heads rolled down to the next person in line. I am not angry soldier, I am long past anger, soon the only thing I will be is even." There was then a long moment of silence. "Why do you have a spear?" Sharkali questioned " I thought ground teams were equipped with guns." The man gave him a smile. "I do have a gun, but I learned the hard way that guns are loud and the creatures of the ground are swift," the man stated " If you want to beat them you must be able to understand them. All my understanding has led me to the spear." Sharkali took in the man's words. He approved of that line of thinking. Rather than just taking the advantage superior weapons gave him he decided to think of how to fully utilize his own abilities. " I think we will get along very well solider," Sharkali said " Stay by me, I will need you to keep me alive." The solider gave him a questioning look. "What do you mean by that," the soldier said " You do have martial training of some kind, don't you?" Sharkali laughed. "Nope," He declared with a smile " I have only ever made weapons. I know how to optimize them and I know how to use them, but I have never really used them." The man rolled his eyes. "You are going to get yourself killed." the man said. "Me, maybe," Sharkali said " Only if you don't protect me, so hey, don't suck. By the way, my name's Sharkali, who are you?" The guy laughed again clutching on to his sides. " The name is Rhyner, rank private" the man said as he tossed Sharkali a gun " Point, shoot, and don't point at your friends."

It was getting dark when they reached their destination. The commander motioned for them to gather around. " You all have you assignments," the commander said " We need to be in and out before any back up can come. We are in very deep, and far away from home. Messing up is death, so don't mess up." They then made their way into the village. It was silent as the crept through the settlement, even nature seemed to be quiet. " Just to let you guys know," Sharkali whispered " Nature is never this quiet." Rhyner turned to him hand gripping his spear as the team neared the first tent. " What do you mean by that," Rhyner asked. "I will just give you the short version," Sharkali said " This is a trap." The commander opened the tent and found it empty. " It's a trap," Rhyner yelled, but it was too late. Arrows and spears came down on the members of the strike team. The team was quickly reduced in number, the captain being one of the members to fall. Nox then streamed from the forest charging in to finish their crippled and beaten prey. "We need to get back to the rest of the team," Rhyner yelled over the screaming of the Nox as the charged. The few of them that were started to fight their way out. The sound of gunfire filled the air and the battle began. The superior fire arms did help until arrows from the trees started to pick off the few members that were left. Soon it was just Sharkali and Rhyner, standing in the middle of a Nox force as they slowly approached. "Well it looks like we are really screwed," Rhyner said as he looked up to the sky " At least it's a nice night to die, there is only one moon in the sky for some reason, you don't see that too often." There was a moment of silence before Rhyner spoke up again. "Hey I am trying to have a nice before death conversation with you jerk," Rhyner said as he looked back at Sharkali. When he looked back he saw Sharkali looking at the sky. "O so you are one of those types of people when faced with untimely demise," Rhyner stated " Whatever, time to take down as many as possible before the second team arrives. Rhyner stopped when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned to see meet Sharkali, he stood now tall can confident, his eyes faintly glowing blue.

Sharkali's memory faded

"Are you alright?" Rhyner asked. He looked at Sharkali fully taking him in. He looked like the same person but their was a faint wisps of blue smoke that seemed to give him animal like features. "You have claws, and fangs, and ears," Rhyner said " Is that a tail. What are you." Sharkali turned to the man. "O sorry about that," Sharkali said as he waved his hand dispelling the smoke and returning to his normal look " It's nice to meet you my name is Santara. Who might you be?" Rhyner just stared at the man. The Nox around them had stopped moving after seeing what had taken place. "What is wrong with you?" Rhyner questioned " We already met and I thought your name was Sharkali." That is good to know," Santara said " You can call me that, my name isn't important." Santara looked around at his surroundings. "This does not look good at all," Santara said as he he looked at Rhyner and his spear " We are about to get attacked, so can you use that spear in your hands for me, I need to figure out how to use one." Rhyner gave him a questioning look, but complied going through different maneuvers. "I feel so dumb doing this in the middle of battle," Rhyner said. Santara smiled before replying "That's enough I got what I needed." Rhyner gave him another questioning look before saying "Are you sure it's only been a few seconds. " Santara walked over to a body and pulled out a spear. " Yea I am fine," Santara stated " Anyway our friends are attacking."

The Nox fired a round of arrows at them as their friends kept them stuck in place slow approaching. "Stay still for a moment," Santara said he grabbed the spear out of Rhyner's hand. Santara spun the spears around himself and moved around Rhyner as he did so. The arrows clanged off the blades of the spears and shot off out of sight. The yells cam from different places in the forest. "What did you do," Rhyner said as Santara gave him back his spear. " I deflected the arrows towards different targets," Santara said casually " No talking, we have to fight now." Rhyner gave him a smile " Not sure who you are but I like those words." The two of them then transformed into a whirlwind of death.

"Back up has arrived," a solider said as the team emerged from the forest "What is this?" The team emerged to the sight of Rhyner and Santara sitting in the moonlight back to back with their spears crossed over their soldiers in the middle of a field of bodies. The two of them looked over towards the source of noise. "You guys took forever, I could have died," Rhyner said " This guy had enough time to start writing a book." Santara closed the binder he had in his hands and handed it over to Rhyner. "What is this?" Rhyner asked. "It's a book on the new spear style I made from what you showed me." Santara looked up to the sky and let out a curse under his breath. "Listen up because in about two minutes I will not remember anything I am telling you," Santara said to Rhyner " First, Make sure Sharkali gets some exercise, I should not be that tired during a fight. Second, You need to learn the style in that book, and then teach it to Sharkali. I can not always be here, and I need him to survive. Third, tell no one about what happened today. No one will believe you, but regardless if I find out that you talked I will silence you upon my next arrival. Rhyner scanned the book before closing it. "Why do you want me to do these things?" Rhyner asked "And why me?" Santara looked over at the others as they approached slowly in shock, making sure that they were still out of ear shot. "I chose you because you are alive, close, and capable," Santara replied " It also helps that I set up your future to be quite advantageous for myself. As for the first question. I am going to save the world and do that I need to guide the future a little bit." Rhyner actually turned around quickly to face him. " That makes no...." Rhyner said as he was cut off by Santara. "No time," Santara said " Good bye commander Rhyner, also make sure to ask for a nurse named upon your return Mary."

Sharkali's memories returned

" What the hell happened here?" a solider asked " You guys look way to calm for what is around you." Sharkali looked around at his environment. "I have no clue," Sharkali said " Ask him, I was just a tag along for this whole thing." Rhyner then told the others his rendition of what happened as they moved to a safer location. The expedition ended with the tale of the twin lances being spread throughout the military of Elija.

Sharkali smiled as he remembered his second expedition. "I really wish I remembered the actual fight," Sharkali said as he walked down the last set of stairs towards the first tier. As he was coming up on Rhyner's house he heard a growl from behind him. At first he thought it was the Fanglorn, but he realized that it was far less menacing and audible than he expected. When he turned around he saw the Nox woman staring daggers at him with her hand clutching something on her leg. Sharkali let out a sigh and turned back around continuing his walk towards the house. " If I wanted you dead you would be dead," Sharkali said " Don't think that you half dead and your companion could take me. Right now you are the liability that would get both of you killed. You are not a challenge in your current state and your companion cannot fight me and protect you." He was injured himself and could not be them both with no weapon, but his point was still valid. " My friend will get you back into working conditions," Sharkali continued " But if you hurt her in anyway, then I will make it my life goal to eradicate everything you love while I force you watch. That's just me though, there is no telling what her husband might do." He then opened the door for the Fanglorn to make his way through. As he opened the door he crouched down to the Fanglorn's level. " After you my friend," Sharkali said " Make yourself at home."

Rhyner waited with Mary in the living room for the patient. He often served as a assistant for his wife when he was home. "O it's the Nox," Rhyner said as he came to the door " I understand why you brought her here." Sharkali smiled. "Yea if I brought her to a doctor in the third tier, they might have tried to kill her to get rid of competition," Sharkali said as he held the door " I can't have that, shes the only thing that makes this completion fun." Rhyner laughed as he said "Yea I could see that happening." Mary then interrupted their banter with a cough from behind them. "There is a young woman beading out while you casually talk," Mary said "Get out of the door way." "Mam yes mam," the two of them said in unison raising a smile on Mary's face.

As Sharkali finished speaking Sera could only let out a bitter laugh. Eradicate everything she loved? His people had already done that.

Scumbags. Death. Filth.

Her mind whirled with hate but her vision blurred and she fell forwards back into Ylle’s fur and dreamt of what she had seen before.

‘Make way! Make way!’ their squad came through, all on wolves the size of a Lightfolk house. Their big paws pounded the ground, their talons unintentionally digging up small insects from their earthy homes.

Sera was but sixteen. Her very first battle would be coming up in just moments. Father had been wary but she had convinced him.

She wore what the tribal daughter would wear. A mask of white melted stone, painted with the colors of her people. Red and green melted into her mask, stone ears protruding from the top. Around her neck were the fangs of monsters but also of Fanglorns. The biggest one in the center was a fang that belonged to the first creature she killed. A Lionoryx, with golden manes and teeth the size of a man's hand. It blinked in the sun that shone through the forest leaves. ‘Keep to me,’ Vayn had growled at her.

He had been put in charge of taking care of her and Sera rolled her eyes under her mask but steered Ylle close to his black Fanglorn.

Their team made way for the battlefront on the left front and they waited in the shades of the trees for the Lightpeople.

The first that arrived held one of those mechanical toy guns and Vayn nodded. Sera took out her bow, a majestic dark brown polished instrument and laid on an arrow with a red green tail. She sucked in air as she was taught. Her stomach muscles taut.

‘Shoot from your core’ she remembered her lessons.

When she let the arrow go it exploded from her nervous fingers and dug itself firmly and accurately in the man's throat.

She watched him gurgle then fall , watched him stay down.

Sera grinned. Just like hunting animals.

The next few visions were a blur. More Lightfolk appeared, more guns fell to the floor. It was when the signal arrived that they were to leave their forest shelter that Sera had started to panic.

The mechanical toy guns of these people shot hard metal bullets. She fingered one that had embedded itself into the tree bark, it was warm and smooth. The tree already seemed to wither.

With war cries they shot forward from their forest shelter and Fanglorns ripped at Lightfolk flesh.

Ylle sniffed as the man gestured him inside this small house. He was half the size of it and he did not wish to enter.

He lay down so it would be easier for them to grab his owner. It was against everything he had learned. It was against the very nature of his species that he let Lightfolk touch his mistress but she was hurt.

He let out a warning growl as a man and a woman slid Sera down from his back and he stuck his head through the entrance of their door to keep his yellow eyes on her.

It was a funny sight to see. A Fanglorn with its head in the house, the rest of its body outside, tails that wagged every now and then.

He watched them.

Watched them lay her down on a couch where he could see her, watched them strip away the part of her shirt where she needed assistance. He let out another warning growl.

He'd worm into this house if he had to.

In Sera’s head. The fight continued.

She was busy with Ylle as they smashed a set of Lightfolk men together. Ylle jumped on them, crushing them with his paws. Swiping with one taloned one as some tried to help their friends.

She shot arrows from his back as some pointed their toy guns at her mount.

Ylle popped the heads off three with his jaws, flinging these small balls upwards and into the forest for other animals to profit and he barked ferociously.

Sera could see Vayn. His black hair was slicked back with perspiration as he hacked at Lightfolk. He was wearing what the men wore. Bare chested except for the three necklaces of fangs, a warrior symbol. On his biceps were tattooed the triangular red of his house.

His Fanglorn roared, a black beast with a gleaming glint in its green eyes as it swiped five officers against a tree with a near lazy paw raise.

Father had told her what would happen. They were the new leaders. It was an arranged marriage, something that happened only in the Chief’s family and being the Chief’s daughter, they had chosen Vayn the most suitable.

And he was, the strongest warrior.

She watched as he shot an arrow, it went through three heads in a row and all three men slumped to the floor, forever attached in death.

‘Hiéqi! Hiéqi!’ the old tongue meant ‘go back’ and they retreated.

Leaving behind a massacre.

When Sera opened her eyes she shot up with a gasp, moving back onto the couch only to gasp more in pain.

A woman was looking at her. A woman that seemed a stereotype to Lightfolk but her face was less strict and more warm.

‘Stay still,’ she said, ‘There's nothing to be scared of’.

A soft whimper made Sera direct her eyes to Ylle who was looking at her through the front door with yellow eyes full of worry.

Obviously he had been in conflict with himself after handing her over for medical care.

‘Who are you?’ Sera growled, ignoring the stabbing pain in her shoulder.

Her hair was a mess, black strands coming loose from the neat braid they were once in and her green eyes were wide. Wide and then narrowed as if they didn't know whether to be surprised at contact with a Lightfolk or suspicious.

‘I am Mary and this is my husband Rhyner,’ the woman moved aside to gesture at a man who stood beside Sharkali, ‘I'm a nurse,’ she said again, frowning as she looked at Sera’s shoulder.

Sera chewed the inside of her cheek. She seemed nice enough but looks were deceiving.

Sparing a glance at her shoulder her stomach fell. It didn't look good. Not at all.

Peeling aside more of her shirt Sera hissed as the fabric stretched back into place.

‘We should take that off. It'll be easier,’ the woman named Mary suggested and turned to make a shooing motion at the men.

As soon as they left Sera narrowed her eyes at the woman, ‘Why are you helping me?’ Her hand shielded over her shoulder protectively. Lightfolk and Nox did not get along. It didn't take an intellectual to understand why.

For ears they'd fought. Fought for land. Fought for people. Fought for the forest.

The forest.

These traitors.

As if Mary could see the anger appear in Sera’s eyes she took a step back, ‘I want to help because there are no differences in the medical field. You are a person, just like everybody else’.

Sera understood what she meant but bared her teeth anyway. She'd die before she'd want to be like the Lightfolk. But even her hate was taking its toll and soon she felt dizzy.

Letting her body sink back to the couch she watched Mary warily as she took a step forward.

‘I'm going to take this off ok?’ with soft pulls she removed Seras shirt.

The bandages around her chest were still there. Tight and Mary tugged at them to make her more comfortable before grimacing at her wound, ‘That looks nasty’.

Sera stayed still as the woman tended to her wounds. She didn't know of anything she was using. There were salves and cloths and all sorts of witchcraft she knew nothing of and even if she protested it wouldn't have done any good. She was too weak to be suspicious.

‘It must be tough coming to Elija on your own,’ Mary commented as she disinfected the Nox woman’s wound. She pretended not to see her wince, disinfecting was important.

Sera stayed quiet. She watched as Mary dabbed at her with a prickly substance and then as she held up needle and thread.

Expertly Mary got the thread and needle ready and soon she was looking at Sera, ‘Ready?’

Taking silence as consent Mary started sewing Sera’s flesh together. It was pretty neat and soon a gauze was applied over it and she was done.

‘I'm going to get you some new clothes,’ Mary said as she got up, putting away all things, ‘Don't worry. They're all new’.

Sera watched as the woman walked away before clearing her throat.

Mary turned.

‘My name is Sera’

Mary smiled then left the room.

‘You're in such a haste!’ Lisaac shouted after his brother as Vayn rode forwards, unstoppable on his beast.

They’d departed that morning after many a fuss from their mother and commanding orders from their father.

Their tribe had grown and hearing that his fiancé had travelled to the capital, They felt that Vayn had to go too.

Of course Vayn would never say that their marriage had been called off.

After the Blackwater's tribe had been murdered and Sera was left to govern what was left of her family. She'd called the marriage off, for unknown reasons to him. And his tribe stayed hushed about it.

Vayn had developed feelings for Seranylle, over the years of taking care of her and being her teacher. When he was ready to wed her, she turned away and he was left perplexed.

He was a Chief’s son. Capable. Young yes but the greatest warrior in their generation. He'd stay humble to others of course, but no one would disagree.

Vayn was powerful.

‘You'll not win her heart this way brother,’ Lisaac murmured as his Fanglorn caught up to Vayn’s. They were running over the forest woods, and there was no room to run next to each other.

Vayn made a swipe at him with his spear, the tip missing Lisaac’s cheek, ‘Leave me alone’.

‘But you love me!’ Lisaac laughed, grinning at his brother between the barks of trees, the laughing face flitted and weaved through the stems like a taunting jester.

Lisaac had already married. To the daughter of Greymourne, she was beautiful. Beautiful and shy. They fit each other.

Leave it to Vayn to find someone prickly and full of fire. He's even gotten rejected.

Lisaac didn't know whether to feel amused or sad about his brothers rejection.

Their beasts broke out into a clearing and Lisaac whooped as the Great Plains came into view. Her let his arms free, sitting on his mount with just his legs clenched around and let out a whoop of freedom. Beating his chest just to taunt the stereotypes Lightfolk had of them.

Vayn couldn't help but smile and he raised his eyes to the sky.

‘Sera, wait for me’

When Sharkali and Rhyner were exiled from the room they rolled their eyes. "She makes it seem like we have not seen naked women before," Sharkali said. Rhyner laughed and he threw his arm around Sharkali's neck. " I am sure that is not the reason we were kicked out," Rhyner stated " Mary is just trying to make the patient comfortable." Sharkali showed Rhyner an expression of shock. " I don't know what you mean," Sharkali said " I am great at making women comfortable, also I could learn so much about Nox anatomy. No one knows how the have or bear children, I could find out. Think about the uses of information." Rhyner increased the strength of his choke hold, stopping Sharkali from talking. " And this is why you are going to the other room," Rhyner said.

As soon as they got to the back room Sharkali used as his own Rhyner released his hold and the two of them gave each other malicious grins. "We are going to spy, aren't we?" Sharkali asked grin widening. " I know not all Nox are bad," Rhyner stated as he tossed Sharkali his jacket " but I refuse to leave my wife unguarded with a Fanglorn at the door." Sharkali slid into his jacket. He clapped his hands and drained the light from the room. After a few motions of his hands and there was a screen of light that showed the living room from different angles. "How did you do this?" Rhyner asked. Sharkali watched the screen intensely, marveling at Mary's skill and the body of the Nox. " I am refracting light," Sharkali said never shifting his eyes " I basically made invisible light mirrors." Rhyner smiled as he watched the screen. " I really want one of those," Rhyner exclaimed " It would make combat in the field..." Rhyner was cut off when Sharkali interrupted and said " A slaughter. This jacket would be the future of warfare, but I refuse to let that happen. I may make you one because I know I can trust you not to misuse it, but that is it." Rhyner gave him a nod of understanding and they let the conversation end there. They then spent the rest of their time watching Mary.

Sharkali returned light to the room before walking out after they saw Mary had finished. They caught her in the hall. "So everything go alright," Sharkali asked " What specifics can you give me about the structure of her hips." Mary looked at Rhyner, then at Sharkali, then back to Rhyner. Rhyner shook his head as he said " Well you did banish us back here. You know how much Shar likes to study things he doesn't know." Mary nodded in agreement as she walked into their room to grab clothes for Sera. "You will have to spend time with her yourself if you want to know that," Mary said as she came out arms filled with clothes. "Alright I can live with that," Sharkali said as he looked at Rhyner giving him a nod that said "Good cover up my friend". When Mary wasn't looking Rhyner returned Sharkali's nod with one of his own that said " This stays between us." Sharkali nodded in agreement and they walked out after Mary had had time to give the Nox woman her clothes.

As they walked into the living room, they were about to ask how the Nox woman was doing, but the communication device started to ring. Sharkali walked over and answered it while Rhyner talked to his wife about the procedure. " Hello this is Sharkali, you have reached the commanders residence how may I help you today," Sharkali said " Yea I can give him a message. Really now, did you have eyes on them? Just crossed onto the plains. Are you sure it was black? No solider that will be all, I will will have the commander contact you when he is available." Sharkali walked away from the phone with a wide grin. "What was that about and why are you so happy," Rhyner asked. "Your mortal enemy just made his way onto the plains," Sharkali said " One of the spotters with my telescope saw him." Rhyner dropped what he was doing and walked over excited. "Are you sure it was him," Rhyner said " He must not know that we have full vision over the plains, other wise he would never leave the forest. Then again no one ever expects the things you create." Sharkali gave him a smile and a bow. "It is a gift, what can I say," Sharkali joked " But yea I think it's him, he was seen riding a black Fanglorn according to the report. He might be here for diplomatic purposes though, there is only two of them." A smile crept across Rhyner's face. "I don't know why he came here," Rhyner said " But I really want to get my hands on him." Sharkali patted him on the back and Mary gave them a stern look before saying " Don't talk about harming a Nox in front of my Nox patient." Sharkali walked up to her head slightly tilted and arms spread. " Come on Mary it's the famous black rider," Sharkali said "Rhyner has always wanted to fight him, but he would always run away, now we have a chance." Sharkali turned to Rhyner " I can snipe him from here if he tries to run," Sharkali said " Then we can drag his near lifeless body back. For now I think it will be best to wait and find out his intentions." Sharkali then looked over at the Nox woman. "You might be able to help," Sharkali said " Did your people plan on sending anyone else over, because two of them are coming and on of the is a hated enemy of the Lightfolk. I need to know because if you don't tell me why they are here, inappropriate action may be taken."

Sera watched Mary return with new clothes. These were a beige colour and she took them with soft 'thank you's, even though it pained her to say such polite things to Lightfolk. Mary, however, seemed different to the rest and Sera felt necessary to comply to be at least polite to the woman. She had, after all, patched her back up.

She hurriedly put the clothes on, ignoring the restriction of her itching shoulder. There was nothing more than this she'd hope. She could finally leave this... house.

Nox did not do houses. They made huts, tents, hand woven nets in the trees. Houses made them feel restricted. Made them feel like they were in a cage. And Sera was done sitting on this couch and doing nothing but tended to by a Light woman.

As the men came back into the room, she felt the hair on her back bristle like a Fanglorn's but she stayed on her place in the couch. Desperate, even to claim a bit of territory in this alien place.

She nearly jumped, when something rang.

She watched as the man named Sharkali picked up some weird device and began talking into it. He seemed happy for some reason, something about Rhyner's mortal enemy. As the two words dropped, she could hardly believe her ears.

'Black Fanglorn?' she whispered before they'd even finished and when Sharkali turned to her, Sera's green eyes were wide. 'I know them,' she said, 'I-It's two men isn't it?' she got from the couch despite Mary's hands reaching out to try and sit her back down, 'They're my friends...' her mind racked for reasons.

Only one Nox rode a black Fanglorn, only one. That would be Vayn. She hadn't expected him to come after her so fast. News had most likely reached him about her tackling on the Capital and he was here to make sure she was okay. Or maybe Lisaac had just convinced him to make another break towards a suicide mission.

She always liked Lisaac.

'They've probably come to see me,' she nodded, 'I will ride out to meet them'.

Mary seemed to want to protest and the Nox cast a smile her way. One that made her seem imminently less hostile, and even kind of normal, 'Do not worry Mary. I am fine'.

'They're so accommodating! Look!' Lisaac pointed, one spear towards the spinning Capital as archers had already started lining the outer rim, 'I always know how to make an entrance,' the man laughed, letting out a hostile shout for the heck of it and earned a slap at the back of his head by his brother.

'Stop being ridiculous, I don't feel like being shot in the arm today,' Vayn growled, though a light smile taunted his lips.

Silly Lightfolk. So stupid, and yet so amusing.

Centuries ago, his ancestors had made these ants run. Run and hide but when they did, the Nox had rooted them out from the ground. And the little ants had started growing upwards, staying away from the ground like a thief tried to stay away from guards. Now they shot at him with their little toy guns and their little metal balls.

Vayn snorted, pride a primary noise, if he wanted to he'd crush them. Crush them so hard their nameless Gods would give up hope to help them anymore.

With a light frown he looked towards his brother, 'Have you told Sera that we'd be coming for her?'

Lisaac laughed, kicking in his heels so that his Fanglorn spurted in front over the dusty Plains, 'No brother! That's the exhilaration of it all!'

Vayn let out an inaudible groan and his Fanglorn raised its massive head and bellowed a howl so loud it sifted over the Plains like a war cry.

Ylle bent down as he saw his mistress come to him. Letting out what was supposed to be an apologetic grunt.

Sera, in return, ruffled his fur amicably and slid herself up with a soft wince. Her shoulder felt better but it did still hurt.

'I'm going to go down to meet them,' she told Sharkali, the smile for Mary before all gone from her face, 'Don't hurt them,' with a soft 'hyah' Ylle bounded off. The people of the Capital moved aside in great haste as the silver wolf ran down the streets, his tongue lolling from the side of his mouth as the heat baked his thick fur.

The triangular ears twitched as his brother's howl reached his ears and Sera had to laugh as Ylle increased his pace and lifted his silver head to howl back.

The two wolves found each other this way; one coming from the Plains and one through the treeless flying Capital.

The guards at the gate caught a near heart attack as they saw the Nox arriving on her silver wolf, they moved aside with shouts. They had just been in the process of opening the gates and lowering the stairs so that they could interrogate the two arriving Nox men. Instead, Ylle forced his way through the gates and leapt down the descending stairs.

With a final jump, the wolf leapt about twenty feet as the stairs hadn't reached the Plains yet and Sera flew out, leaving the back of her Fanglorn.

Into the arms of the black rider.

Vayn laughed as he fell off of his mount as Sera threw herself into him.

They rolled over the plains before they came to a stop. Sera was atop of him and they laughed, children of the Plains.

'Seranylle,' Vayn whispered, touching two fingers to his lips.

Sera grinned and did the same, 'Vaynuriel'.

'What about me?' Lisaac snorted as his Fanglorn bucked playfully. The man finally jumped from it, letting his own mount go and play with the other two and jumped onto his brother and his friend.

'You guys are crazy,' Sera laughed, 'Do you have any idea what they were ready to do to you?'

'I'd like to see them try,' Vayn sniffed as he got up, helping Sera up when she held out a hand. He swatted at Lisaac's held out hand and his brother stood up with an annoyed grunt, 'Lisaac here thought it'd be fun to come over unannounced and see what the Lightfolk would do'.

'You're both ridiculous,' Sera smiled, 'I am happy to see you though'.

'You have no idea how happy Vayn was to see-' Lisaac was interrupted when his brother punched him in the arm. He flinched and rubbed it, 'That's going to bruise'.

'How has the Reaping been going?' Vayn continued, ignoring Lisaac.

'Good, I've won everything up till now. Tomorrow's the last day,' Sera nodded and turned away lightly. Her blue eyes watched the Fanglorns play, all from the same Nest. They nipped playfully, gigantic jaws clicking shut like a thousand set of knives, before they pawed and then rolled over once more, 'They've missed each other'.

Lisaac chuckled softly before his eyes widened, 'You're hurt!'

'Oh this?' Sera turned to look at her shoulder, a slip of bandage was showing under the beige shirt and she shrugged, 'It's nothing big. Got patched up'.

'Did they do it?' Vayn hissed, pulling her towards him as he looked at her shoulder intently.

'They did a good job Vayn,' Sera whispered as she pulled away and pulled the shirt over the bandages, 'They've done nothing job'.

Vayn growled, 'It was them that wounded you in the first place'.

Sera felt herself roll her eyes, 'The Reaping is about wounding each other to win Vayn'.

'I'm going to kill whoever did this to you,' he growled, his eyes flicking up to the stairs.

Lisa whooped, 'Kick ass action!'

Sharkali nodded in understanding as the Nox woman explained the situation. "Alright, that's good, I will let the guards know," Sharkali told her. Soon after she got up to leave, going against Mary's professional opinion. Sharkali watched how the Nox woman acted when she talked to Mary. He couldn't help but smile at the fact the Nox woman was kind and sincerer with Mary. It had always amazed him how Mary could get anyone to like her. It also amazed him that this woman was married to Elija's greatest warrior. The two of them are the kind of couple that could change the world, and Sharkali felt like one day they would. He was broken from his thoughts by the sound of Mary's voice. "Sharkali," Mary yelled before returning to a normal volume " You need to tell the guards what's going on before they shoot the poor men." Sharkali picked up the phone and contacted the stair team. "No, this is Sharkali," Sharkali said into the receiver "The two Nox that are coming are with the Nox from the reaping. No hostilities for now, but keep the threat level at four just to be safe. Rhyner and I will be down later to greet them and ascertain their intentions." The soldier on the other side of the line responded with a "sir" before hanging up.

Sharkali turned to Mary and Rhyner. "Alright that is taken care of," Sharkali proclaimed " What do we do now, I say we watch them from here and try to learn more about their culture. I want to see how the Nox woman acts in a more relaxed and comfortable environment." Mary shook her head as she said "Everyone is a test subject to you, aren't they?" Sharkali gave her a playful grin and shrug. " Yea," Sharkali responded " There is a lot you can learn from people, and when you learn about others you learn about yourself." Sharkali voice quieted as he said "And there is a lot I need to learn about myself" to himself. Rhyner feeling Sharkali's mood change threw an arm around him. "It's sounds like fun," Rhyner exclaimed " It never hurts to know more about your enemies." He then turned to Mary and gave her a look that asked for her approval. Mary let out a sigh before saying " Fine go spy, but don't cause any trouble. Also invite Sera and her friends back to the house for dinner, and let them know they can stay if they need a place to sleep." Sharkali wrapped Mary in a hug and lifted her off the ground. "O that's my Mary," Sharkali said " She would let her husbands worst enemy into her home, without a moments hesitation. I wish more people were like you." Mary smiled and motioned for him to put her down, which he did. " You should help everyone you can regardless of who they are," Mary explained to him " We all live under the same blue sky." Sharkali let Mary's words wash over him. She was like a light in a dark room, a hope for a better tomorrow. As Rhyner and Sharkali walked out of the house, Sharkali found himself looking at the vast blue expanse above him. A smile touched his face as Mary's words came to him again. "We are all the same" Sharkali repeated to himself " Under the same blue sky."

When Sharkali and Rhyner made it to the tier one, they sat on top of it and Sharkali created large telescope of light and a screen to show what was being seen through the device. They were just in time to see Sera fall into the black fanglorn's riders arms. "Wow, she seems like a normal girl," Rhyner said " This is the first time she hasn't really looked like a prisoner of war." Sharkali laughed and almost fell off the wall. "That is very true," Sharkali replied " It is reasonable thought. Here she is out numbered, away from home, and in enemy territory. If I was in that postilion I would look on edge too. Sharkali watched as the black rider seemed to get angry. "Well that doesn't look good," Sharkali said "It is time's like this I wish I could add audio to this, or that I could read lips." Without missing a beat Rhyner chimed in and replied with " He said he's going to kill someone. Well time to go and stop him." Sharkali stood up on the wall and dispelled the light restoring his surrounding to their normal brightness. "You heed to get there fast so take this," Sharkali said as he removed his jacket the handed it to him " Flex your shoulders back and the glider wings will form, flex forward and they will fold in." Sharkali hopped off the wall rolling when he made contact with the ground. He stood up to see Rhyner about to jump. "Also, don't clap your hands," Sharkali said " There is a lot of motions and junk that go into what you see me do, so don't try it you may blow the jacket and yourself up." Rhyner yelled back "Got it" Before flipping off the wall.

Rhyner had done many jumps like this when he was picked as a member of the helicopter team, but this was different from a parachute. Rather than controlling the his moments with strength, he had to let his body flow through the air. As he descended he wondered if this was what it was like to be a bird, becoming one with the wind and working with it to accomplish flight. As he glided down he let out a childish laugh and yelled " This is the best!" He came in fast over the Nox group. To land he opened the wings to the wind letting them drastically cut his speed, before pulling his shoulders forward to fold in the wings. He hit the ground with more speed than he would have hoped, but he rolled on contact and avoided any injury. Rhyner stood with a smile in front of the Nox. "Hello, and to what do we owe the pleasure of this visit?" Rhyner asked "Also in the future please be sure to send word that you are coming, we don't like surprises anymore that your people."

Sharkali rushed down to the stairs. Now that he could cut his travel time by jumping over the side of the wall, normal travel seemed tedious. As he ran he had to dodge people who wanted to stop and talk to him. He needed to get down to the surface as soon as possible, not only so he could study the Nox as soon as possible, but also because Rhyner was there with no weapon or backup close. Sharkali vaulted over the exit checking station leaving a few guards angry and on his trail, but they stopped when they ran into soldiers who explained the situation. Sharkali ran, but he still had a ways to go before he made it to the surface. " I hope he is alright down there without me," Sharkali said as he made his way to the location of the stair way to the surface " I don't know why I'm worried, I doubt the Nox would start anything anyway. I guess I just have to hope Rhyner doesn't do something stupid."

'Don't do anything rash,' Sera chimed in as all Lisaac seemed capable of doing was to edge his brother on, 'Besides, did you know they can monitor you?' Vayn frowned, temporarily distracted from the death threat he had just voiced, 'Monitor me?' Sera nodded, 'I was in their house and one of their weird transmitters started ringing, they knew you two were approaching,' she rubbed her bare arms. The people of the Capital were unnatural, entirely so, and to be constantly watched gave her a feeling of no privacy which she disliked more than the unnatural itself. 'Wait,' Lisaac shook his head, holding both his hands up, 'You were in their house? Like in one of those... boxes?' he pulled a face. 'Are you crazy?' Vayn growled, for once in agreement with his crazy brother, 'Do you have any idea how dangerous that is Sera? They have you closed in, there are so-' 'It wasn't like that okay?' Sera growled, making the two siblings shut up immediately, 'They were patching me up, like I said before,' she gestured at the bandages. 'She's gone crazy,' Lisaac groaned, backing away dramatically, 'You hear that Vayn. She's been trusting them! Them!' 'Oh shut up Lisaac,' Sera growled as she made a motion of a feral uppercut. Vayn sighed, massaging the are between his eyes, 'You two...'

When Rhyner landed all playfulness was gone. Lisaac leapt in front of Sera with a growl, next to his brother. He had even whipped out the bone knife from his belt, a menacing white thing that could cut through flesh and bone as if it were soft fat, 'They even fly now,' he hissed, spitting on the dirt of the Plains, 'Told you there were damned unnatural'. Vayn held out a hand to his brother, in an attempt to hold him down as he looked at the man in front of him. His nostrils flared as if he could smell the artificial dirt of the Capital, 'We aren't visiting your...' Vayn's cold eyes trailed to the floating Capital behind the man, 'dead city'. Sera wormed her way in between the three staring name, growling at Lisaac as he tried to hold her wrist and pull her back, 'Stop it, do not fight'. 'Don't tell me you've developed sudden sentiment for these creatures,' Lisaac groaned, keeping his eyes on Rhyner. 'If you don't shut up I'm going to speak to your mother,' Sera snapped back, taking instant satisfaction in how Lisa's face tightened just slightly. It was no secret that both boys were utterly afraid of their mother. The woman was the image of stern powerful rule, she held her husband and sons under her thumb, a little bit of pressure and she'd squish them. It helped that she was entirely fond of Seranylle. 'I have to second Lisaac, Seranylle,' Vayn murmured, his eyes glancing at his ex-fiance, 'What has made you stand up for them like this?'

'I'm not standing up for them,' Sera sighed, 'His wife patched me up, I can't let you two kill him'. 'What would make you think we'd do something so... beastly?' Lisaac laughed, though it was bitter and entirely insincere. With a short whistle the three Fanglorns that had been playing had stopped, now each stood behind its rider, making no sound but baring their teeth - the size of a grown man's forearm. Ylle was slightly less intimidating, Sera had put a hand on his massive snout, keeping him from baring his teeth like the rest of his aggravated brothers. 'We will be leaving,' Vayn said, his glare so dark it seemed enough to nail a man to his death bed. Lisaac stayed glaring at Rhyner as his brother made his way to Sera. Vayn pressed a kiss onto her forehead, a form of goodbye between close family members and friends, 'Cherenien,' he whispered, his lips lingering, 'Seranylle'. Sera dipped her head in slight recognition, 'Cherenien Vaynuriel, give my greeting to Helena'. Vayn nodded shortly as he jumped, one hand on the fur of his Fanglorn he swung himself up so high he sat onto the back of his mount so smoothly they looked made for each other, 'Come Lisaac'. Lisaac bowed at Sera before grinning, 'Be careful of devishki,' he chuckled as Sera cracked a smile and he swung onto his own Fanglorn. 'We will be back,' Vayn grinned, not sparing Rhyner a glance and white short whoop the two men left.

'I do not like them Lisaac,' Vayn whispered as they entered the shelter of the forest. Their Fanglorns stopped momentarily to look back at the brother they had left behind. The two let out a ghostly howl and an echoing howl from Ylle drifted back. 'What do we say we do brother?' Lisaac murmured, abnormally sullen as his hand still rested upon the hilt of his knife, 'The idea of their devices to spy on us does not give my heart peace'. 'Nor does it give any to mine,' Vayn whispered once more before closing his eyes shortly, 'We must tell the Council'. As the two men rode back to their tribe Vayn ran through Sera in his mind. She still looked like he had seen her before, if not more beautiful, more mature. They had exchanged their 'take care's in the Old Tongue, though he had wanted to say what Lisaac had said. The 'devishki' , men of evil sin, those of the Capital. It seemed that the Capital was developing their forever damned technology, the Nox couldn't stand up and let this go. Who knew what others powers they had. Flying was fine. Their brothers and sisters in the far South had mounts that flew the sky, swearing they could cup the sun in their hands, so high up they went. They would take those flying bastards out with ease but spying was cheating. Vayn growled, he'd squish that stupid flying Capital even if it were the last thing he'd ever do.

'I apologize for their behaviour,' Sera murmured as she watched the two men fade into the distance, the Fanglorns kicking up so much dust they seemed like a mirage, 'They don't like people of the Capital,' she offered Rhyner a tight smile. Rubbing Ylle's neck as he howled back at the goodbye of his brothers. She hadn't seen the brothers for so long. After breaking off the engagement she had but seen Vayn a couple of times. He was busy running the tribe with his parents, working his way up to be an heir. He still seemed strong, cultured and every bit the Nox man he had been born to be. Had she grown up to be the way they expected? Sera looked down at her Capital clothes, no she had failed in that aspect. Though she had struggled to keep their own tribe alive after the Capital killed off her family and her people, she'd tried, she'd tried so hard to keep everything together. Others swore she did a great job, in her eyes she had failed. Failed so much she didn't know how to forgive herself. Lisaac and Vayn were portraits of Nox men, their mother - Helena - had done a great job. The men had been bare chested, the necklace of fangs dangling from their sun tanned necks. More fangs decorated their earlobes and black hair, long and untamed like the Fanglorns they rode. It was only in the loss of battle that they'd have to cut off their manes. As powerful men of a powerful tribe, they had never faced defeat. And by the bulge and analytic gaze of Vayn, Sera couldn't imagine them ever facing one. She only feared for them.

Rhyner sat calm as he watched the Nox take up a defensive position. He made sure to stay as nonthreatening and relaxed as possible. He was at a major disadvantage since he didn't have a weapon, and he was only here to greet them, so he did not want to accidentally antagonize a fight. He noticed the knife that one of them brandished, and held back the urge to disarm the man and stab him with his own knife. "I think it's kinda sad that I want him to attack me," Rhyner said to himself " Man, I need help, I am a serious warmonger." He then let out a grin when one of them made a comment about the light folk flying. "His mind would be blown if he saw the helicopter he have," Rhyner thought " Also, it is good to know that they don't know about that machine, it will give us a good advantage." Rhyner just held his grin as the Nox insulted Elija and was silenced by a threat to contact their mother. " He laughed to himself. He remembered a time where he and Sharkali had been in a similar situation where one of his subordinates threatened to tell on them Mary.

When Sharkali made it to the bottom stairs he was jumped by a group of men who laid ready to ambush him. In a matter of seconds he was tied up with his hands behind his back. "What the hell is this?," Sharkali barked " I need to get down to Rhyner he has no back up." The group that tied him up all looked at him. "This is for the commander," one said " Do you remember the last 7 times you participated in talks? We do, all of them ended with a fight and one of us in the hospital. You can stay here and cover him with your light thing." Sharkali shifted his eyes as he muttered " I can't really...... do that right now so.............yea." One of the soldiers stood him up and freed his hands placing a rifle in them. "You can use this," She said " But you have to stay back here. You move and I will tie you back up before you can blink." After Sharkali was freed he gave the woman office a salute and said " Well now time to hope they try something so I get a chance to shoot."

Rhyner made sure to take in as much information as he could, and listened in as they talked to themselves. They started to argue with each other and soon they were joined by their mounts. He had always marveled at those creatures. He had fought them on many occasions and they had always proven to be loyal and strong companions, willing to give everything for their masters and Rhyner as a soldier respected that. As one of the Nox stared him down with a cold glare, Rhyner returned it with a condescending empty smile and then ignored him. After a short moment the Nox said something in their own language and swiftly left. When they said they would be back Rhyner smiled wider, waved them off, and said "Be sure to send word next time, or we will take it as hostile action and shoot first." After they left he couldn't get the smile off his face. He enjoyed the confrontation far more than he should have.

When Sera apologized and gave him a small smile he couldn't help but smile back. "You have nothing to apologize for," Rhyner said " I had a lot of fun with this meeting. The more I get to interact with your people the more I tend to like them. Those two remind me of Sharkali and myself. You have the one who has the heavy burden of leadership, who keeps his feelings and worries to himself. Then you the reliable joker who gets the other one in and out of bad situations. They have the same brotherly bond that me and Shar have. If our situation was a little different, I think we would have been great friends. Sadly that is not the case and we must both think of the people we protect, which means doing our best to kill the other." He started to turn and walk back to Elija but he stopped. " Mary said to invite you and your friends for dinner and tell you that you all could stay at our place if you wanted, but since they are not staying I guess that offer will only be for you," Rhyner said. He heard running behind him and turned to see Sharkali making his way over.

"What took you so long?," Rhyner asked " You know I didn't have a weapon right? Sharkali laughed as he motioned over his shoulder to the men at the stairs. "They said I couldn't join you,"Sharkali said " Something about me being a risk to your safety, and causing more problems than I would fix. I realized that their logic made sense so I decided to cover you from back there. I had a shot aimed at the them in case something went wrong so you would have been fine. Anyway so did you scare them off, and how did you like my jacket?" Rhyner shook his head and responded with " No and I didn't expect to scared them with no weapon, and the jacket was great. To get back on point, those two were well trained and I'm sure they knew they had the advantage. It is all thanks to Sera that negotiation went smoothly." He then turned to Sera and said " O yes I never did thank you for helping with hostilities. Thank you, I really felt a fight brewing before you broke it up." He then turned to Sharkali threw an arm around his shoulder and began to walk back to the steps, chatting with Sharkali as they walked. "This meeting was actually fun," Rhyner said " I found the Nox versions of us, just as hostile too. I also learned why Sera and Mary get along, I think by default she is the Nox version of Mary, you know if Mary was hostile and suspicious of others." Sharkali laughed. "That's awesome," Sharkali said " I'm guessing the black rider is my Nox version." Rhyner quickly shook his head and said " No, never, not in your wildest dreams. You are the other one, I am the black rider." Sharkali gave Rhyner a punch in the arm as he said "That's not fair I want to be the black rider, he has the cooler Fanglorn. I would make a much better black rider than you." Rhyner put Sharkali in a choke hold and responded with " Sorry Shar you just don't have what it takes to be the black rider." Sharkali turned to Sera while he was still in a choke hold and said "Hey Sera who do you think would be the black rider, it's me right." Rhyner laughed and released Sharkali turning his attention to Sera. "Yea really which one of us is the more suited Nox?," Rhyner asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back