The new, official Exalted Wiki

Stillborn said:
Rut ro.... I was just peeking at the 2nd Edition Errata page, and one of the responses from Borgstrom seems to imply that she had a hand in the Charms...
Forgive my ignorance but......who's Borgstrom?

Rebecca Borgstrom. One of the authors WW has employed for Exalted. Most noted for her involvement in the Fair Folk and Sidereal fatsplat. Known (infamous?) for her very poetic descriptions, and confusing mechanics.

Solfi said:
Rebecca Borgstrom. One of the authors WW has employed for Exalted. Most noted for her involvement in the Fair Folk and Sidereal fatsplat. Known (infamous?) for her very poetic descriptions, and confusing mechanics.
Gotcha. Haven't read the Fair Folk book, and I've just read the Yu-shan and Sidereal sections of that book. Haven't made it to the mechanics section yet. Thanks for that.

She also wrote "Spirit Exiles of the Western Ocean" in ToT, which includes some of the most pretensiously described NPCs in the game to date, as well as the First Witches section in Outcastes, which is, in my opinion, AWESOME.

-S

Stillborn said:
She also wrote "Spirit Exiles of the Western Ocean" in ToT, which includes some of the most pretensiously described NPCs in the game to date, as well as the First Witches section in Outcastes, which is, in my opinion, AWESOME.
-S
Okay. I'm looking at the Spirit Exiles adventure to use in my own campaign, so I'll take a gander. And I plan to get around to reading the Outcaste book, but it's kind of low on the list at the moment....

Stillborn said:
Their Charms, however, seem like a random grab bag of esoteric shit, with wildly fluctuating power levels.
That was actually intentional. The idea is that sidereals are the opposite of lunars. Lunars have a massive number of charms that have very specific purposes or are useful in only specific circumstances. Sidereals were intended to have a limited number of charms that are broadly useful, but in somewhat unexpected ways. What differentiates a good sidereal from a great one is their creativity and flexibility in applying this "grab bag" to a particular situation. Viewed in that light (and having played with them for a while) they actually work pretty well.

Name Pilfering Practices is a good example. Reading it, you think "WTF?", especially compared to the charm just before it in the book, Sidereal Shell Games. But used in the right place and time, it can topple governments.

Stillborn said:
I would guess (hope) that Sidereals 2.0 will have TN-reducing Excellencies, as well as Abyssals 2.0 having dice/success-subtracting Excellencies.
The core book lists how the (stupidly named) excellencies work for other exalts in the antagonist section. Breifly:

• Dragon-blooded: 1st Ex can buy double the dice per mote, but is limited to ability+specialty. 2nd works the same (meaning limit is half Ability). 3rd costs 3m.
  • Lunars: work the ssame, but are bought for Attributes, and are capped at Attribute score. 3rd can't be used with Extra Action charms.
  • Sidereals: 1st: Limited by Essence, but can be used to negate die penalties as well. 2nd: Also limited by Essence. 3rd: Costs 3m.
  • Abyssal: Same as solars.
Since it appears that abyssals will have "entropic" charms to reduce opponent pools, it seems likely that sidereals will have target number reducing charms as well.

The core book also describes an excellency unique to sidereals, that reduces target numbers. TN for a roll involving the ability can be dropped to four, but can be dropped as far as three if the sidereal spend a WP. This will result in every die coming up a success. It can also double a DV.

I too am a player of Siddies, and I do agree with wordman, MAN are they useful in the proper moments, but I was quite put out that they didn't have a medicine charm for well...hmm...healing? That made me quite suspect and a bit PO'ed but I still count them as one of my top three Exalt types.

I too am a player of Siddies' date=' and I do agree with wordman, MAN are they useful in the proper moments, but I was quite put out that they didn't have a medicine charm for well...hmm...healing? That made me quite suspect and a bit PO'ed but I still count them as one of my top three Exalt types.[/quote']
The correct solution for a Sidereal who needs to heal someone is "find a healer and get them to do it".  This can be a healing spirit, a Solar, a bound demon, or whoever/whatever.  The 'Sidereal Way' is not to DO something, but to SEE that something gets done.

If you like this way of thinking, you will like Sidereals.  If you don't, then you won't.

Spot on, memesis.  

The other thing to keep in mind with Siddies: they think in terms of patterns and concepts, not individuals.  Their Medicine Charms could be construed as healing the overall pattern of Creation, by sending those about to die on to their appointed fate...

wordman said:
In fact, I dislike it to such a degree that I'd write a complete alternate set of Charms for them, had I the time and inclination.

-S

I was quite put out that they didn't have a medicine charm for well...hmm...healing?
Even so, the pinnacle medicine charm is brutally cool. And I learned a while ago not to throw zombie hordes at my players, as Invocation of the Storm-Following Silence promotes them to full dead.

Stillborn said:
wordman said:
In fact, I dislike it to such a degree that I'd write a complete alternate set of Charms for them, had I the time and inclination.

-S
To bring this back on topic, you're welcome to write all the Charms you like on the new Official White Wolf Exalted Wiki.

Why? When we have the excellent Lore5, with it's automated Charm tree graphics, right here on the site?

I believe a new system is being made, based on a different code, which will handle second ed.

Jukashi said:
I believe a new system is being made, based on a different code, which will handle second ed.
I'm the one making it, and it's using the Ruby on Rails web framework.  Since my 2nd Ed books arrived today, I can really tear into this now.

Baaaaaaaaaaaack on topic once again...

How do you guys feel about making a note on the Exalted Wiki to reference Lore 5?  Think it'd be appreciated/taken down/etc?  Think we could bear additional traffic?

... There's bound to be a "links to other sites"-section on there at one time or another. One can always create one, and add a link here.

I don't see why not. The worst WW can do is delete it. Best to strike early, if at all.

-S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back