The new, official Exalted Wiki

Interesting. It's a good move, on their part. Hopefully they won't be nazis about it.

-S

if anything, I can see the errata section being useful. And the author pages. At least, some of the stuff in the 'Thus spake...' section of the "old" Wiki has helped me immensely.

I'm kind of predicting that the first time it gets spammed (which it will, since it currently doesn't require authentication to edit), WW will show their historical lack of web admin ability and it will be quietly abandonded.

Rut ro.... I was just peeking at the 2nd Edition Errata page, and one of the responses from Borgstrom seems to imply that she had a hand in the Charms...

If Amazon will just fucking ship my book already, I'll be able to find out if that's as bad as I fear.

-S

I have to agree with wordman that while an interesting idea, and an attempt to woo folks back to their bandwidth with dreams of Unconquered glory--and undercut the other sites for forum size--this is going to die a very ignoble death.

You either devote yourselves to a Wiki, or you don't do it all.  And I just don't think that WW has the cojones to really devote themselves.  

I take that back.  It's not the cojones at all.  They've got other things to do do with their time and budget.  They are putting out games, got a couple of fires in the pan, and Exalted, while a profitable line, isn't the only thing they've got going, nor is their online personae the only thing they're doing.

The Exalted Wiki in NZ, that's what they're doing.  It's a hobby site, but that's pretty much what they do.  And play games.  And work real jobs, but they devote themselves to the site.  I don't think that WW really has the people to really devote to project like this.  I wish them well in it, but they're a big ass target, and there are a lot of disgruntled and annoying fanboyz out there with hatchets to grind.  And predators who look at their fat pockets.

Here, or the NZ Wiki for that matter, not much to target.  Not much at all. Not attractive enough. Get a few thousand hits a day, and then you're looking better.  WW is opening up a can of whoop ass on themselves, and I doubt that they are going to be able to devote the time and effort the project would need.  

It's a nice try at something, and I wish them luck, and I hope they build up a nice community, but I think that from the get go, it's going to attract a fair number of trolls, and what's left, after they purge isn't going to be worth a whole hell of a lot...

Stillborn said:
Rut ro.... I was just peeking at the 2nd Edition Errata page, and one of the responses from Borgstrom seems to imply that she had a hand in the Charms...
If Amazon will just fucking ship my book already, I'll be able to find out if that's as bad as I fear.

-S
From a thread I read at rpg.net she said she did most if not all of them for the new edition.

Stillborn said:
And they're not all totally fucked?
-S
Now remember, it is not all her fault.  There is the sorry excuse for an editor that should carry the bulk of the blame.

What? If an editor has to change every second sentence a writer puts to paper, because it's too circumspect and flowery, and rather obfuscates than elucidates the meaning of a Charm / rule / text, then the editor might as well be the writer, not the other way around...

... on that note though; how is the editing in the 2nd ed. book? Anything completely unforgivable? Or just the usual faux pas? (small spelling errors; words that are out of context that appear to have been automatically changed by a spellchecker, text that's disappeared under an illustration...). Or, is the editing actually... ok? *gasp*

I wonder if she's on meds.

God I hope so, and that she just doesn't take them. That would explain quite a bit.

So, what's the verdict from folks who have the book? Have the Charms been "Borgstommed" (for good or ill), or did they keep her reined in on this one?

-S

I don't mind flowery shit... flavour is all good in my book. Especially considering that many Charms have similar mechanics, anything that differentiates them and make them more their own thing is great. But, as the Fair Folk fatsplat showed, letting it bleed into the actual mechanics is a big no-no.

Solfi said:
I don't mind flowery shit... flavour is all good in my book. Especially considering that many Charms have similar mechanics, anything that differentiates them and make them more their own thing is great. But, as the Fair Folk fatsplat showed, letting it bleed into the actual mechanics is a big no-no.
Agreed, and she has a bad track record as far as keeping mechanics distinct from description. See also: Exalted: The Sidereals.

-S

That is strange. I haven't detected any Borgstrom yet. Actually I think they have cut down on the flavour text in the charm descriptions. They strike me as more rules and less flavour now, which I find sad. But, hey, I'm a Borgy fan :)

Stillborn said:
So, what's the verdict from folks who have the book? Have the Charms been "Borgstommed" (for good or ill), or did they keep her reined in on this one?
I'm still too distracted by the incredibly hideous charm tree graphics to notice.

Stillborn said:
Agreed, and she has a bad track record as far as keeping mechanics distinct from description. See also: Exalted: The Sidereals.
Shit, I LIKE Sidereals.  Probably because I'm a pretentious, self-appointed avant-garde shithead with a nasty case of verbal diarrhea... but still.  And once you read over them a few times, I think the Charms make sense.  The advanced MA styles are definitely solid, if you ask me.

Shit' date=' I LIKE Sidereals.  Probably because I'm a pretentious, self-appointed avant-garde shithead with a nasty case of verbal diarrhea... but still.  And once you read over them a few times, I think the Charms make sense.  The advanced MA styles are definitely solid, if you ask me.[/quote']
I like the MA Styles. I like Astrology. I like their setting material. I like Yu-Shan. Their Charms, however, seem like a random grab bag of esoteric shit, with wildly fluctuating power levels. And where the fuck are the TN reducers they were supposedly going to be so keen on? What are there, like TWO of those?

-S

... prolly went the same way the Lunar shtick as shifters went...

.... :roll: No, I don't mean "to the Fair Folk"....

What do you mean? Lunars are all about shapeshifting.

-S

... I should prolly have used 'illusion-workers' instead of 'shifters'. I'm tired now, so I might not make any sense, but here goes:

Their focus was supposed to be shapeshifters / illusion-workers at the outset That focus was diverted during development. I've seen discussions on this and although I don't remember details, my impression was that it was the inclusion of the Fair Folk cramped their style. As they wanted the Lunars to feel unique, they toned down the illusion working in favour of the shapeshifting thing.

I would guess (hope) that Sidereals 2.0 will have TN-reducing Excellencies, as well as Abyssals 2.0 having dice/success-subtracting Excellencies.

-S

I asked this same question of an acquaintance who has both the core book and the ST Companion. He proceeded to quote this passage from the ST Companion (apparently a sidebar right before the Charms chapter. He hasn't actually looked through the Charms. He's really only skimmed the book as of yet. So I couldn't get any information out of him about what is *actually* available for the Abyssals):

THE NECROTIC EXCELLENCY, ESSENCE ENTROPIC?

Many Abyssal Charms share a similar trait, referred to as “entropic†effects. Entropic effects strip dice of certain dice pools from the Abyssal’s foes — woe to those who fight the agents of the very powers of decay and rot in the world. Though it would seem that such an effect might warrant an Excellency, that is not the case. Excellencies are so named because they are manifestations of an Exalt’s spiritual power, channeled through the knowledge and abilities of the mortal she once was. Excellencies affect only the Exalt.
... dunno about Sidereals tho'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back