• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Lost Empire

Moments of freedom don't always come like this for women of my age, most are married with children now. I was lucky, the choice of marriage was one of my own no one else's and I didn't want to deal with the complex emotions of marriage and children with a complete stranger. My heart longed for adventure, so I travelled along the many paths of Europe looking for one in the ruins of many beautiful castles. This day was especially beautiful as I rode through the countryside happily, the dirt paths flicked up as I galloped gracefully on my horse. My hair of light brown bounced with each graceful movement my horse made. Along the path I found myself looking towards a stone path ahead upon the entrance of a forest.

I don't know whatever came over me when I saw that path but is gave me a feeling of remembrance, a sense of that I had been there before. So I decided not to leave a stone unturned on the path ahead of me, riding into the lush green forest, that had all kinds of wildflowers growing at the path's side. Rays of golden sunlight shone through the trees making the leaves glitter and shine brightly as if they were a precious gem. I walked the scene unfold into something you'd see in a gallery, upon the appearance of a beautiful castle coming into my view as I exited the forests after a short ten or twenty minutes riding. In mere awe, I stopped short looking towards the beautiful stone castle, which stood on top of a hill, and didn't look like it was merely over freshly built.

My gaze washed with interest, I slid down off my horse happily beginning to walk the short distance to the base of the hill before, ascending. The walk was something I didn't judge too well as it appeared the hill was much higher than I expected, the wheezing of my breath tired me out, and I decided to sit down, looking out over the land seeing few ruins of what appeared to be something along the lines of an old church, and town ruins. Resting my hands in my lap, I slowly looked down at my riding skirt, it had been dirtied upon my ride here, but that didn't bother me overly since my hazel orbs of curiosity had snuck up on me. "I wonder why this land seems like I know it, almost as if I was here, in the past. Yet, I don't quite remember it at all." I whispered softly looking up over my shoulder at the beautiful adventure just waiting for me.

In an unladylike fashion, I jumped to my feet hiking up my skirt to my knees and stormed up the rest of the hill, feeling the wind take my hair and toy with it as I ruhed up the hill with such an impressive speed. Finally, I stood at the gateway of the glorious building. Goosebumps tingled at my body. Excitement stirred up within me. From their my steps were slow I wanted to take in everything that I had seemed recall into my memory carefully, trying to find a way of me understanding why I knew where I was...

With time I found myself wandering the halls, pulling my leather gloves from my hands, as I felt a comforting warmth within the stone walls. "I wonder how old this place is, it doesn't seem to have aged a day," I commented walking through the velveteen carpeted floors, sighing with pure excitement. Yet, there I stood, I found myself standing before a massive grand portrait. I smiled at the familiar face in the painting and giggled sweetly. "There you are my prince, was this your castle? Some thousand years ago." My tone was gently spoken as I leant up and touched the paint, I had felt some odd pulling once I touched the fabric of the painting.

Somehow my mind went blank, and the world shone brightly for a moment. It was like a clap of thunder rolled over my head as I came to... laying down in the dirt of the stone path outside of the little village hidden by the forest. I found myself looking up at the sky with little understand as to why it was running, and looked at how dark it was. Droplet quickly began to fall onto my body as I sat there in a shock like trance. Which was cut short by men riding by on their horses dressed in expensive fabrics and in a style that was over a thousand years old.

Renellius stayed crouched as he prayed in front of the alter of the chapel within his small empire. It was something he did everyday, go to the chapel and offer a prayer, asking for blessings, not for him but for his Empire. For his people and for his fathers hopes, to restore the empires of old to this new world. The young prince knew it was hopeless, his empire was too small and the kingdoms of the surrounding lands were too powerful. He wouldn't stand a chance if he were to attempt to force his hand. So now he just waits and tries his best for his people, for the people who stuck by his fathers will and now his own.
The ordeals of outside, the problems plaguing these....kingdoms....they were no problem of his; the only reason he was even aware was because of the letters he would receive from agents he had planted in the neighboring kingdoms. Now the only possible worry is apparently the start of some crusade, knights of the church who were leading a defensive strike. While that was something he would happily get behind, he couldn't risk his kingdom being found out, and instead just sits in the back ground, watching and observing how the war would pan out. Luckily he had some of his own people within the ranks of the Templars, all non noble sergeants but still they were feeding him information.
"Amen...." said the prince as he got up, giving a sign of the cross and grabbing his gear, his gladius as well as an heirloom helmet. The prince himself wore a simple leather legionaries officer outfit, but as for his old helmet? It was made of bronze but built strong, sturdy and donning a face mask to hide his facial appearance. The mask itself resembled a face but not as detailed, more like a full masq of masquerade.
Slipping his helmet back on and equipping his sword he turned, walking out of the chapel to find his general approaching him, "lord Renellius, we've caught a trespasser."

Last edited:
I found myself shortly after coming across these men that I was a struggle, thrashing around angrily. Cursing at the men as I was pulled into the small kingdom, looking down at the ground. My body ached, and my skirt had torn from being dragged by the men. Before being brought to the old church that was in ruin only a few hours before. I felt myself being brought to my knees before someone though I couldn't see who due to my hair had fallen in front of my good eye. Leaving my blind eye to try and figure out what is going on.

Mud soaked my skirts and my blouse was dirtied by mud and the slightest droplets of blood from one of the guards when I punched him trying to get away. Around my neck sat a locket once owned by my birth mother, and her cross pendant was also on the chain. When a younger man came out of the church I heard a guard wander over to him. My eyes snapped to attention when I was accused of being a trespasser. In full truth in this time, I would have been because it seemed this was just before the first crusades started. "I meant no ill will upon anyone, I merely lost my way, so if you'd let me I'd leave," I yelled out looking over to the nobleman the knight was speaking too. "I don't want to course any harm, just let me go please, my father is expecting me." I snapped in a daring manner.

My heart raced waiting for the answer of the nobleman, looking around at the scenery noticing how beautiful it was with all its buildings in place and standing beautifully. Slowly, my curls fell away from my face, showing my perfect eye the life of this land that was truly hidden from the world. People walked through the small village, through the marketplace doing what they pleased, everything seemed peaceful, it was nothing like my childhood on the streets after my mother's death. Looking down once more, I felt the darkness of my past upset me deep within. I felt lonely without my mother in my life, when I was adopted a hole was filled slightly, though not completely.

Renellius listened to the soldier before him, his trusted general. Then his attention snapped to the trespasser as she blurted her intentions, or at least that's what she claims. Scowling beneath his mask he walked past the legionnaire and approached her, withdrawing his sword and pointing the blade at her threat, forcing her to face up to his own covered face.
"Who are you?" Demanded the lord looking down at her, "and how did you find this place? We're you sent by one of the kingdoms to look for this lost land? Explain yourself?!" He said coldly as he starred down at her. The woman looked out of place to him, almost as if she didn't belong, her clothes were of something he had never seen before, but maybe it was all just a trap to try to distract him from her true purposes.

"My name is Lady Elenora Prudence Shepard, I happened to find this place while riding upon my horse. Though due to certain dramatic switches of events which you wouldn't quite believe I ended up here." My tone was blunt as I spoke looking into his eyes, pulling my head away from his blade. "I'm a person who studies history, that is how I found this kingdom..." I spoke looking around place not making eye contact with Renellius. Feeling a guard go to move my head back to facing the young man I rolled my eyes, carefully reaching for the small handgun I had at my side. "Don't touch me... Or I'll blow a hole in your head, I don't understand what is happening here, but I can clearly tell this isn't the year 1890." I commented looking to the guard before stepping up onto my feet, looking at him. My expression was stern and scared. My ears echoed the laughter of the guard, before I pulled the trigger close to his feet making him dance, glaring towards him. "Don't you push me, you low life noble..." I spat.

My temper was of a Scott, as I lowered my gun looking to the prince, "I have no interest in coursing your people harm, you should have listened to me the first time..."

Ren stared her down from behind his mask, "disarm the intruder and take her into the palace." He demanded as a group of centurions grabbed her wrists lifting them into the air as another took her fire arm.

"Alium motus imprimatur, sive non movebo tibi!" Yelled one of the elite legionaries; Ren sighed and turned towards his palace walking towards it as his people were watching from a distance, men, woman, children all watching and wondering. Some were afraid, others curious, some had malice as they wished Renellius would've just executed the woman to ensure total safety of the empire. But that wasn't Renellius' way, his way dictated questions be asked and answers be taken. Though what she said bothered him more than it should've, "1890...." he said quietly to himself as he walked into the palace, his elite fearless centurions following from behind with the prisoner.

I felt my hand wrist being grabbed as I struggled to curse under my breath in French. All I could do was follow behind, coughing roughly as I walked up the hill to his palace. Seeing the looks of the men, women and children in the village put me on edge. Sweat flooded my brow, as I felt my journal bounded with leather rubbed again my skin, as I had hidden it on the tie of my skirt. My corset pushed on my ribs tightly as I walked up the hill constricting my breathing.

Once I found myself within the palace, the guards stopped and I tried to catch my breath, holding my side with my free hand. My mind made me felt numb with all that had happened to me in the span of a few hours. Though looking around the palace I noticed that it hadn't changed at all. "Nothing has changed from this place, it's the same as it was when I found it..." I murmured softly, feeling somewhat speechless. My skin paled at this thought, I had seen this palace in the same condition some thousand or so later. I felt sweat bead on my brow, as I looked and scanned the walls for the portrait so I could get back home. My heart hammered roughly in my chest as I looked down into my hands, the shock had clearly hit me now.

I could have imagined this whole thing up because I didn't wish to go back home and get married, but now more than ever I wanted to get married. Be that little housewife and run around after my own children that I would have had by now if I had married. Slowly, I traced my gaze over the prince of this palace and kingdom, frightened of what he had to say or do to me,

Renellius was handed her pistol and he closely examined it, "I see....a modification of the Chinese design." He said still closely going over it, "albeit more advanced...." he grimaced at the thought that she came from a more technologically advanced kingdom, what if her people were to storm the gates with their technologies? He turned around sharply and looked at her, eyes peering through his mask. "Where did you come from? And where did you get this weapon?" He said still a distance away from her, gesturing to the pistol.
He stood there, two centurions by his side and more centurions lining the walls, all glaring at her, the first intruder in many years to have found what was left of the empire.
"If I do not like what I hear, then you will not like what you will hear next. And speak not lies to me, how can you possibly be from 1890, that time has yet to pass! What black magic have you utilized?!" He demanded, pointing her own pistol at her, pulling the hammer back.

I snapped back to attention when I heard the hammer of the pistol pull back. "There is no such thing as black magic. And I know for a fact that time has passed. I'm a historian , I have studied the art of history and the crusades of the Middle Ages." I commented bluntly looking towards him.

"But if you wish to shoot me be my guest." I spoke softly looking to him. "It won't be the first time I've been shot with a gun before. Bastard do get treated like that where I'm from, from the streets of Whitechapel..." I commented bitterly under my breath combing my messy hair out of my face.

I stood there quietly, closing my eyes in fright. Waiting for something... Anything to happen. Something that could mean home, not even home somewhere in the year 1890 so I could find my way back home. Gently my hand went to my journal at my side where I had sketched pictures of all the castles in the area back from where I was from. I had gotten a sketch of this castle while I was trying to catch my breath...

Along with a rough couple of drawings of the Prince from my dreams that filled the pages.

"What be that you are reaching for?" Asked the prince. One of the centurions immediately grabbed at it, "Videtur quod diario Renellius Dominus. (it appears to be a journal lord Renellius.)"
"A journal? Bring it here, mayhaps I will find the answers I am looking for." He said handing the pistol over to one of his centurions as the stepped forward.
Reaching forward the centurion handed over the intruders journal and he began to carefully thumb through it. The paper, it most certainly was different, tougher than the parchment he was used to. Truly a book to admired, "these sketches and illustrations.....did you draw these? These are very well done." His tone immediately changed, at heart Renellius was a romantic, especially when it came to any form of art, literature, or music. "Your master.....he or she must be proud of your work and......" he stopped as he got to the final pages. His hands slightly trembled.
"Renellius Domino, quod non fiat tibi vis quae respondit? (Lord Renellius, what be it that ails you?)" said one of the Centurions who peered towards the book, his mouth was agape as he looked down at the image before him.
"My.....it's my castle.....and that is a portrait of me.....but yet I have no portraits of myself on these walls." Said the prince as he looked around just to verify. He would've remembered sitting for hours for a portrait; turning his attention back to the intruder he turned the journal carefully and showed it to her, "how? How did you have the time to draw these? And when?"

I didn't bother trying to grab my journal back from the guard, carefully my eyes peer over wvery feature in the palace. Before my gaze went to the prince. Listening to his comments about the drawings and sketches. "I don't have a master, my mother did but when she died he took me as his daught." I commented softly gently touching my locket taking it off and opening it.

Looking at the beautiful young woman in the photograph. "My father enjoys my artwork, he brought me a camera to helo me keep the image in my head... A camera courses images like the one in my locket.." I told the prince before noticing his face.

When the prince stepped forward to show me what shocked him, on an impluse I stepped away. Hearing that there wasn't a portrait hanging on the walls I felt the defeat of not being able to get back home.

"I write all the dates of those pictures, so that's when I drew it. I happened to find this palace while riding from other castles. The lifestyle of living in a castle died out for many families in the era I'm from. Nobles live in manors out in the countryside along with have a town house." I told him in a calm tone, stepping to the left when I was trying to look at the picture. "I draw so one day if I lose my sight I will still have the memory of drawing these places. I sat on the hill just outside of the castle and drew whilst I caught my breath."

Last edited:
Ren sighed and brought a hand up to his helmet, "this is all too.....confusing....I must retreat to my chambers.....guards lock her in the library for now, hove the chef bring her some food." He said handing the noteback to one of his centurions who in turn handed it back to the intruder before gesturing for her to follow him.

Ren did as he said and began making his way to his room, to think about what just happened and how to react to it.

The soldier lead the intruder down a series of halls before opening a large set of double doors revealing a massive library with a lit fire place. "Et hic manere donec dominus eum necessarium Renellius dignetur dimittere te. Noli effugeret praesidiis erit foris. (You will stay in here until lord Renellius deems it necessary to release you. Do not try and escape, there will be guards outside the door.)"

I gently hugged my notebook to my chest before opening my hand seeing my old locket. Everything from where I was from was out of reach to me, there wasn't a portrait to try step back through time with. Little did it make any sense. Walking diwn the halls following a soldier I looked at him before entering the library. "Thank you, I have no intention to study..." I spoke calmly before walking into the library. Trying to find my place.

I found myself sitting down at a chair , resting ny head into my arms. Exhausted beyond belief I slipped into a deep seeded nap. My long curls falling over my back and tickling nmy gentle features as I calmed myself.

I had dreams like the old days, I walked through the forest happily with my horse at my side. Listening to the hioves of another's horse trot up to me. A handsome young man dresses in his armour stood before me, not long after he jumped off his horse. With him I felt so safe and not judged for a cent of the pension I had.

I was cared for because it was he and I together facing the world... In my dreams anyway. I often found myself in these dressed dressed in beautiful gowns, hiding a pair of leather breeches underneath so I could go ride my horse. .

Renellius sat at his desk, unsure of what to make of the situation he was in. It was surely curious, "how? How was that even possible?" He asked himself, staring down at the mask of his helmet, almost as if he was expecting an answer. Sighing he leaned back in his seat, his gold guilded leather armor creaking from his awkward position. "I need to question her more.....but she's probably exhausted...I'll leave her be for now." He said getting up and placing his helmet back on, walking towards the door of his quarters.

The library door opened as a tray with soup and bread was placed on the table by one of the workers. They left without a word, without even trying to wake the intruder, possible out of fear.

I felt somewhat calm in my sleep, though with the fright I was feeling deep down it was taking me over. My dream became a scene from an execution day. I was looking down at a block shaking, as two guards pushed my head down.

I wished to open my eyes and scream, though I couldn't wake. Something seemed to set me in a trance. Tears flowed from my eyes as I slept.

Only once was I allowed to open my eyes when the sword came down upon my neck. I felt a burning ache as I held my side coughing roughly and struggling to breath. I needed to calm down though there wasn't any sign of that as I found myself sitting on the floor, trying to control my hyperventilating.

My chest was screaming at me in pain as I needed to calm myself down. Looking to the libaray door before dropping from lacking oxygen through my body.

Renellius sat in his throne still heavily thinking. "Alright I've waited long enough....bring me the intruder." He ordered as two of his legionnaires quickly made their way to the library to find her unconscious. Both of them sighed as they hoisted her up. "Producat in solio locus medicum (Bring a doctor to the throne room)." ordered one guard to the other as they continued to drag her to their lord Renellius. Upon arrival Renellius looked at them, "what the hell happened to her?"
Both men only shrugged their shoulders as one of the doctors walked in. He immediately set to work, checking her vitals before taking out some smelling salts and wafting them under her nose.

I felt my body drag, as it seemed the guards were dragging me to where I was needed. Laying there, smelt something foul under my nose as I coughed heavily. Laying myself on my side, slowly sitting myself up once the corset was beginning to get too uncomfortable.

Tubbing my head which ached, I looked upward still with hazed vision to where the prince stood. Fear of the fate my dream gave me coursed me to shiver and hold my shoulders. I wanted to go home, and I had no idea how it was possuble both in getting here and going back home.

Sitting quietly looking down into my hands I felt sweat begin to bead on my brow. "Please let me go... I must find my way back, please..."

Ren sighed as he looked at her from his throne, "im afraid I can't. I don't trust you yet, how am I so sure you won't tell others where I am? And you never told me how you got here in the first place." He said looking down at her, at this point she look d rather pathetic if, cradling herself like a child who had a nightmare. It bothered him, "back straight, head held high, you're not a child." He exclaims.

I shot a glare towards Ren when he continued about beingna child. "Shut the fuck up you windbag. I've told you all what I know. I found this place in the year 1890 while on a trip away from my family. It was meant to be the last one I could go on before I willingly married someone." I commented bluntly. Holding my side pulling slightly at the fabric of the corset to enable myself to breathe.

"I have no interest with tampering in history or changing any events for your palace or your people. I know what its like to have some of the most important things to you taken away." I commented, before carefully standing up. On my own two feet.

Slowlymy temper began to blow up from within. I knew what I needed and that was out of this place. "I should have never followed that road now, but there's a fat lot of good that's going to do me now." I commented clenching my fist as my Scottish accent began to surface.

Last edited:
Ren looked at her and sighed making a flicking motion with his hand as a dagger flew by her face, cleanly grazing and cutting her cheek. Blood pouring down her face. "I'd advise you to watch your tone and language, or else the next one won't be a warning shot, are we clear on that?" He said leaning forward, "I was planning on showing you mercy, but since you're so intent on acting like a child and behaving like one, then I'll treat you like one. We can have our discussion later." He said still looking at her, his facial expression hidden by the bronze mask. "Guards....take her to the dungeon, it appears as though my generous actions have gone unappreciated."
Immediately two guards grabbed her arms tightly.

I felt the sharp pain of my face being cut as I gently moved my hand to my cheek. The warm running of my blood down the side of my face. Gently touching my cheek I looked at my blood that was a shade of deep crimson. I didn't say anything as I found myself being lead to the dungeon.

I felt the guards grab my arms tightly, and I knee later that my arms would be covered in marksnfrom their handling. I went with them quietly, before being shived into a dark cell, the only thing to keep me company was the stone walls and rats. Looking at my side I carefully picked up my sketch book in the dark.

Holding it close to my chest I shivered, my muddy clothing had soaked me to the bone. Weakly I found myself pulling upward again to my feet. Walking deeper into the darkness of the cell. I kept quiet to myself, looking around for something to give the cell some light.

I found myself a candle and two loose stone, clapping the stones together it coursed a spark. Which lit the wick of the candle on fire coursing the cell to become well lit to where I was sitting. Gently touching my journal I looked do at it quietly pulling out pages lighting them on fire to myself myself warm.

Rens assassin stood on a balcony within the dungeon looking down towards the intruders cell. Her spot was hidden but the intruders was not, "why do burn the pages of such a well kept journal?" She asked, "i understand wanting to keep warm but you should know Lord Renellius will not let you die."
Sighing the woman continued to watch, "you know it was me who threw the dagger, I am the lords shadow and right hand." She said still looking down at her. "Burning your journal will only upset him further, the mans got taste for literature and art. To see you do such a thing, would offend him." She said smiling beneath her own mask and hood.

"If you're his eyes you would know that the only pages I have tipped out at the ones with his beloved castle in it." I commented hugging my legs. "I have no interest keeping pictures of this cursed place, no doubt there's a curse here for it not to age when it's thousands of years after everything history has in place " I commented keeping to myself.

"I'll do what I must to keep warm..." I commented softly standing up weakly holding my side. "It would be easier to breath and get warm if this bloody corset didn't hold me in place." I whispered softly trying to make my way through the cell. Touching the stone to my left trying to get an idea of what's to my left.

"Your lord doesn't want to know about 1890, and happened to all the people of this era. How many of them died out, what ither castles like his look like now." I told the assassin. "There's even talk of a possible war that would end the world as ee know it." I commented in a tired tone of voice. As I found it easy enough to get around.

"This reminds me of the coal mines. How dark it was, I remember the infection in my eye, that robbed me of the sight from my left eye. My mother died shortly after that, she got caught in a workhouse machine and was ripped to pieces, apparently it started because her hair got caught in the gears." I spoke softly sitting down once more.

"Glenna McTavish, a poor Scottish woman who ran away to London after I was born... She was used as my father's whore. His wife couldn't bare children so he picked a poor young woman that looked similar to her, but much prettier. She bore him children, and he'd take them and claim his wife had them. Was going to happen again when she gave birth to me but... He only wanted a son. So he was going to kill me moments after birth because he didn't want my mother to hold something over him." I whispered in a tired tone.

The assassin sighed, "spare me your sob story, if you're trying to make me feel bad or guilty don't bother. My position requires no morality other than loyalty to my dear emperor." She said yawning, "as for the future, he doesn't care. Lord Renellius is more of in the now kind of guy why else do you think he hasn't asked about the future? Mainly because he just doesn't care. He's aware of the end of his empire, he's already accepted that, the only thing he cares about if making his people as comfortable as they am be, for as long as they can be." She said still leaning on the stone railing.
"You know if you apologize for your behavior he might let you out early, anyways I must be going, was nice talking to you." Said the hooded woman as she turned and left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back