• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic The Long Road to Nowhere

Michael looked at the girl. She was pretty, that was for sure, but he knew this wasn't the time for such stupid boyish nonsense. After all, they could die at any second. While Evan tried to figure out an escape plan, a tall skinny man beside the girl stood up, looking angry. "I'm not putting my sister through anything else. She's seen hell. And if I can help it, she won't see it again."

"Shut up!" said the guard, who seemed to be looking for survivors. "Look, we need to stay quiet, else we'll attract them. I'll go first, make sure it's safe. I know that building; if we can get to the top safely, and if I can get inside, I could get to the warden's office on the first floor. I know he kept a few guns in there. And we'll need supplies for when we leave. If you hadn't noticed, it's an apartment building.

"There might even be survivors in there. I'm going with you or without you, who's in?" The hope of more people intrigued Michael, but he was still unsure of the situation. He decided he would only go if Evan or Maeda did. After all, they were friends now. He looked at the others, hoping one of them would pipe up so the guard wouldn't leave without them.

///

Lol it's cool ;) and oh my gosh can i see it?? =O *excited squealing*

Maeda listened to the girl and tall man argue and smiled a bit. "Well at least we aren't totally alone." She looked to where Evan had directed attention to and nodded. "This may actually be fun! With a bit of potentially deadly painfulness...."

// :o art. Pleeeeeeease see? Prob won't be on at all today so feel free to gm my charrie

"Yeah, fun." Evan said with heavy sarcasm. "Look." He gave off a nervous sigh, "Either we all go at once, or none at all. If anyone had a glass bottle or some spare change I could use it. Even bottle caps and stuff. We could throw it at that car and maybe, if we're lucky, set off the alarm. Or a rock would work." Evan scanned the rooftop, not seeing anything particularly like what he was looking for. Aside from some pebbles he picked up. He then checked his pockets and found some spare change he was planning to use as a screwdriver. He decided to keep one of his quarters.

//

It's meh. the predator colors took a while. and there's lots i've yet to post. due to a broken scanner.

http://fisheypixels.deviantart.com/gallery/

"Well at least we aren't totally alone; this may actually be fun! ...With a bit of potentially deadly painfulness..." Maeda piped up, looking to where Evan had pointed, nodding. Michael didn't see how their current situation could be considered 'fun', but nonetheless he did agree on the 'potentially deadly painfulness'.

"Yeah, fun." Evan replied sarcastically, sighing, "Look. Either we all go at once, or none at all. If anyone had a glass bottle or some spare change I could use it. Even bottle caps and stuff. We could throw it at that car, and maybe, if we're lucky, set off the alarm. Or a rock would work." The kid thought it was a pretty good idea, though it still sounded like it still had a few kinks to work out.

Not that he had a better one. He stood, shivering, trying desperately to think up an idea of his own. He glanced around at the others, silently, while also looking for a small object Evan could use. The girl hadn't said anything, and the guy still looked upset. The guard seemed to be calculating, and Maeda and Evan were as well.

Maeda scanned the rooftop along with Evan but couldn't find anything, so she just sighed and glanced at the guard. She thought of past situations and how they've ended up failing and shook her head to clear the thoughts.

She heard the jingle of change and saw Evan pulling some out. She laughed a bit to herself, "I'm surprised you managed to still have money. I don't see what you're doing though but just give the commands and I'll follow. Especially if it involves not dying."

"I've been told I'm resourceful. I was going to use a quarter as a screwdriver and get into one of the officer's home. Then get his food. This all happened before I could. I also collect change when I can. When all this started, my roomate and I were at a grocery store. Some guy got everyone's change and threw it to cause a distraction, it all went to hell after that." Evan got back to work. After he finished checking the rooftop for stuff, he went to the guard and little girl. "Do you guys have any unnecessary things that would make a loud noise?"

The little girl held out a doll, Evan didn't mean to snap at her, but he said, "No, that won't make any noise."

Her brother glared at him before handing him his cell phone and saying "That's got pictures of my family, if this doesn't work, you will get that back for me."

Evan returned the glare, terrified of what would happen next. "Who can throw really well?"

Michael shivered, looking around as Evan explained himself. "Do you have any unnecessary things that would make a loud noise?" the man asked, looking at the guard and the young girl. The girl showed him a doll, and Evan frowned at her, a bit annoyed. "No, that won't make any noise." he said.

The girl's brother turned to Evan, glaring, and held out a cell phone. "That's got pictures of my family," he said, obviously irritated, "if this doesn't work, you will get that back for me." Michael had a feeling that the man didn't like Evan very much. He also had a feeling Evan didn't like him very much either, judging by the return scowl.

"Who can throw really well?" Evan asked, and the boy felt his stomach churn. He actually wasn't half bad at throwing things; after all, with his legs being a little dysfunctional, it was his arms he had to work with. Slowly and shyly, he raised his hand. "I-I think I can..." he mumbled, head down, his face turning red.

She heard the boy answer with a shy hint on his voice and smiled. "Don't worry, just think about it as being in a game and you're about to win." She watched the two and thought if their next moves.

Reaching into her pocket, she remembered that there was some bread, so they wouldn't starve later. Making sure the bread was in place, she waited for the line to come into use for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
"We can eat when we're safe. Michael, try to hit the window. If you can break it, great. If you can make a loud noise, great. We just need a loud enough sound to make it across the alley." Evan walked to the other end, The back alley of the building only had one or two of the monsters, nothing they couldn't handle. He ran his hand through his hair and rubbed his eyes with the other hand. He hadn't ever been this scared or stressed in his life. He waited to hear the loud sound. His body tense, he waited to spring into action.

"We can eat when we're safe." Evan said when he saw Maeda holding the bread. "Michael, try to hit the window. If you can break it, great. If you can make a loud noise, great. We just need a loud enough sound to make it across the alley." "O-okay..." the boy muttered, still a little unsure of himself as he took the item in his right hand.

Evan took his place on the other end, and Michael felt his stomach churn and he tensed up. He took a deep breath, and it was a little shaky. He steadied his arm, holding it with his other hand, and took aim. To everyone else, it probably seemed a pretty clear shot, but to the young lad it seemed to be miles away.

He pulled his arm back, feeling all the stress and weight on him. If he messed this up, everyone would be doomed. And it would all be his fault. He clenched his eyes shut, then opened them again. He steadied his aim, held his breath, and threw. The object flew through the air, before colliding with the window, making a loud thump. The glass didn't break, but the noise had been pretty loud.

Maeda flinched at the noise and let the breathe she was holding go. She tugged a little on the line and made sure it was taught about to work. "Good throw! Alright, I will go first and make sure that the other side is not going to give out... That was loud too so we should get moving."

She took of the small jacket she had on and wrapped it onto the zip line, then jumped up a little and let the weight carry her to the other side. Upon landing on the other side the end started to slip so she grabbed it and tied it down onto a pipe that was on the wall just outside and under the window. She waved her arms to tell them it was safe.

Evan looked down the building and saw a few of the undead had heard the sound and were running in that direction. There was no doubt they would alert others and breach the wall. He acted fast, not wanting to get trapped. He grabbed the stout guard's riot helmet and threw it across the street, aiming for a car windshield. He missed by a few feet, it landed on the hood and luckily bounced into a cracked window. The helmet hitting the car was loud enough, but when it shattered the window, it was like a train in the deafening silence.

The tall guard and his sister went down the zip line, and then it was only the stout guard, Evan, and Michael. "Michael, you're up. Do you have a leather belt or anything?"

The guard held out his belt in case Michael didn't have one.

//

I was thinking something else was happening, but this works too. When we all get over the wall, we can go into a abandoned apartment building that was a randevu for if the safe zone was overrun.

Michael let out a huge sigh of relief, and ran a shaky hand through his hair. "Good throw!" Maeda said, and it encouraged him a bit. He couldn't help but smile just a little, if not embarrassed. "Alright," she continued, examining the line, "I'll go first and make sure that the other side is not going to give out..." It sounded dangerous, and the boy hoped she didn't...you know.

"That was loud, too, so we should get moving." she finished, before taking her jacket and preparing herself for her journey. At her words, he couldn't help but feel a little sense of pride. But he knew he had been very lucky he had even hit it at all, so he brushed away the thought. Maeda took off down the zip line, and when she landed at the bottom she waved her arms.

Michael watched the man and his sister follow, after Evan threw one of the guards' helmets and hit a window. "Michael, you're up." Evan said, turning to him. "Do you have a leather belt or anything?" The kid shook his head, and the guard held out his belt as an offering. "Th-thank you, sir," Michael said, head down, as he took it.

He looked at the line. It was quite a ways, and his stomach rolled. He wasn't sure if he could do it. His arms might give out, or the belt might break, or anything could go wrong. He was scared of heights. But he knew there was no other way, unless he wanted to die. He took a deep breath, and squeezed his eyes shut to hold back the tears. Then, he jumped.

She watched the man give Michael the belt and smiled, glad that the man would be so kind. Watching him close his eyes when jumping made her laugh a bit, relieving the tenseness she was feeling over the situation.

Seeing Michael sliding down the line she backed away and put her arm out to hopefully catch him, or slow his speed down.

When he reached the bottom, Michael bumped into Maeda slightly, and he blushed. "S-sorry," he mumbled, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly, "about that." He looked back up to where Evan and the guard were, then back to the woman. "So, what exactly is the plan?" he asked, becoming a little more comfortable around her.

Evan only had a cloth belt. And he didn't have anything sturdy enough to use on the zipline.

The guard took out his hardlight baton and looked at Evan. "Take it. I'll find my own way across."

"Can't you use your body armor?"

"Look at me, you think that'll hold? Just get yourself over there. Give me ten minutes. If you hear shouting or if I haven't arrived yet, leave. Get as far from here as possible." The guard handed Evan his gloves so Evan's hands wouldn't burn when brushing against the zip line. "Oh, and I'm Al by the way."

"Evan. It was nice to meet you Al."

"Alright, now get your ass over there! Remember, leave after ten minutes, no matter what."

With a sigh, Evan went down the zip line, landing and tumbling onto his back. After catching his breath, he told the others the situation. "Al is going to try to find his own way around. He didn't think the line would hold him. He said to give him ten minutes, nothing more."

//

Evan and the guard are still on the roof.

"Well, I guess we could try to get out... but not without Evan. He did do us a favor earlier after all." She looked at Evan and the guard on the roof and tried to understand the two's conversation. "We should probably stay here though because if we separate here it'll be hard to reunite once he is here. I suppose just try to find things within eyesight and easy access and we'll be somewhat set-up."

It had been about fifteen minutes, Al hadn't showed up. "Let's go." The older guard spoke after a few minutes of silence. "We can't wait here. Al was a great guy, but he's probably dead."

Evan snapped his head around toward the guard, "We didn't hear any screaming or yelling. He could be all right."

"There's no time kid."

"But-" Michael stammered, then stopped. He wondered if that were him. Would his friends just leave him, like that? He shuddered and he felt like just curling up and crying for a bit. But as the other guard had stated, there simply wasn't any time. He hoped Al was still alive, but on the other side he hoped he was dead.

If Al was alive, maybe they could find him again. If he was dead, at least he was free from this wretched place they called Earth, and maybe, if he had a family, maybe he would get to see them again. Michael always remembered his mother telling him about heaven when he was very young, and now he wondered, if he died, whether he would go to heaven or not. He hoped so. Because he knew his mom was there.

She heard Michael start to interject and shook her head a little. "Where to now? Based on Al's path we know that we can't successfully go back without anyone being hurt." She shuffled her feet to keep occupied and looked between Evan, Michael and the guard.

Unsure of what to do, and scared out of his wits, Evan did the only logical thing. He took one last look up and down the street they were on, and started walking to the nearest intersection. "He'd've wanted us to go on. I don't have a watch, does anyone know what time it is?"

The remaining guard's sister pulled up her sleeve and looked at her wrist. "It's six thirty five." She had not spoken a word since they first saw her, which her speaking up now surprised Evan.

"Thanks dude. Let's get goi..." Evan stopped mid sentence. "Never mind. Let's stay here. We could find a nearby apartment building and leave signs and stuff so he can find us. And we could use the fire escape and camp out on the roof. Maybe check out a few of the apartments." Being easily distracted, a thought popped into his head. He looked at the brother and sister. "Who are you, I recognize you, but your sister I haven't seen before."

"I thought I knew you! You're that asshole who stole the commander's food!"

"Yup. Good stuff."

"You steal anything from us, and you're dead. I'm Tyler and this is Melody."

Evan opened the car and started tearing different parts out. He placed them on the sidewalk in the shape of an arrow that pointed where they were going. And he wrote AL in above it with a sharpie from the car.

Michael stayed completely silent as Evan figured out the next step of their plans, and he was surprised when the girl actually spoke. She told Evan the time (six thirty-five), and then she and her brother introduced themselves as Tyler and Melody. Michael raised an eyebrow when they mentioned stealing the commander's food.

Meanwhile, Evan began to dig through the car, looking for parts, which he set up distinctly in an arrow pointing in the direction Michael assumed they were going to head next. Underneath, the man wrote 'AL' in big letters using a Sharpie. "Do you think he'll find us?" the boy found himself asking, looking at Maeda.

"No, at least not for a few days. He probably got stuck....." She shook her head knowing that it wasn't the time for negativity. "Actually, he will find us. He helped us out so we owe it to him to stay alive!" She grabbed a small shard of glass sticking out of the window and threw it on the ground so it would shatter and reflect light during daytime and hopefully draw Al's attention.

"Wow, I never would have thought of that with the glass. Good thinking. We should go though. We've been too long and loud anyway. God I hate taking charge." Evan tried to lighten the mood, though inside his mind his cowardice was eating away at him. Almost out of nowhere, Evan spun around and looked at the Tyler. "The reason I stole that food is because you guards sat around all day while we worked our asses off. I'm not okay with you getting special treatment over us."

With that said, he didn't let Tyler respond before storming off down the street. He slipped the sharpie into his pocket and was holding the hardlight baton Al had given him. They had walked about a block and a half before arriving to the apartment building Al had mentioned. "We're here. We haven't been noticed, so we have time to make a plan. We should check that Van before going down the alley." Evan pointed to a van across the street.

Evan pulled Maeda aside, "Look, we both can tell I'm useless around these things. I've really got no use for this." With that he handed her the hardlight baton. He flipped it to a side with a switch. "When the switch is in the middle, it's off. When it's to the right, it's just a baton, and to the left it's lethal." Evan demonstrated by flipping it to the right and left. To the right, there was a green tube that erupted from the end. It gave a faint glow and soft whir. He then flipped the switch to the left where a soft green knife erupted. "Be careful, the knife is crazy sharp. Oh, and it's solar powered, so be sure it's in direct sunlight as often as possible." With that he walked to the van.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back