• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic The Long Road to Nowhere

fisheypixels

A writer of words and drawer of lines
In the near future, 2037 to be exact, it came. No one saw it coming. People were saying it was the rapture. Others said Ragnarok. But they were all correct on one thing, it was the beginning of the end.

The virus attacked fiercely. People were saying Black Death had returned. But this was far worse. First it was the rash. Just a simple rash. But in most cases, it meant certain death. Following the rash was bulbous growths around the neck, groin and armpits. Following these grotesque growths was lung failure. Coughing up blood. Soon after was death. But it didn't end there. No, that would be too simple. After a matter of time, anywhere form two hours to two days, the virus would spread to the rest of the body and the brain. Then reanimation. Eyes became red and white, skin turned pale, and an insatiable hunger for warm flesh soon followed.

These monsters could only be killed by a blow to the head. However, contagion was highly likely. For one drop of blood in the mouth, eye, or an open would ended it all, starting with the rash. It was possible to recover from the rash, but unlikely.

There were a few different types. When first reanimated, the monsters would be slow and easy to take down. But as time goes on, they get faster and faster. However their physical condition on reanimation, the virus adapts. If they are missing a leg, they will crawl faster. If they are missing an forearm, the virus will allow it to rot around the bone, so they can attack with the bone. Etc etc.

Normal guns had been take by gun control ten years prior, so they were difficult to come by. Though military issue hard light weapons were common. However, America had gone into a state of martial law when the virus first broke out in north Europe. That was one year ago. They told people not to worry, their information was wrong. The virus was far worse than they though. As people went on with their daily lives in America, Europe was hell. Nothing more, nothing less.

It had almost reached the one year mark when it came to America, wiping out most of the population in a matter of a single month. Three types of infected. One was the runner. They were only recently infected and easy to kill, but they could run. Over time they slowed down and would become shamblers. Walking deformed corpses that were tougher to take down. But rarely, depending on the genes in the host body, some became lurkers. Primal instincts remained, the virus gained strength from the genes, and they could jump, run, and screech. Some were able to clear two stories, others only one. However their screech was ear piercing and could make anyone freeze in fear.

Evan Conrad was in Canada when it came. He was staying in Vancouver for a convention with his friend. His home was in Ohio. After chaos broke out, he, as well as hundreds of other survivors were moved to a save zone in Seattle.

America

RULES:

1 - No graphic sex. This isn't the place for that.

2 - Keep it realistic. Your character isn't going to be a ninja or super soldier. Think, how many average people are there for every body builder or karate black belt?

3 - Follow rule number 2. If your character watches family and friends get ripped apart in front of them (which most everyone has seen it) they aren't going to be this person that is fearless and utterly destroys everything.

4 - have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
"What's goin on? There some sort of hold up or something?" Evan asked. He had been standing in line for about two hours, waiting for his daily rations. Every day, the military would issue every person some rations. And it was up to that person to ration the food throughout the day. The civilians were the ones who got the canned goods, while the leaders and military personnel got the hot meals every night.

"We need to keep the soldiers strength up son." Was the only answer he would get. Things were tough on everyone, but the way most of the military personnel strutted around was very condescending.

Evan got no answer to his question, so he told the person behind him to hold his spot. He then stepped out of line to see what was happening. "Looks like another fight broke out." He said as he tried to get back in line. The man didn't let him back in. "Dude, come on. I was here two seconds ago."

"Sorry man, I'm not letting you back in." He was a heavy man, looking to be in his late twenties.

"Why the hell not? I was just here! You stood behind me for like two hours, just let me back in."

"No." When the man said that, Evan tried to push his way back in, only to get thrown onto the pavement. "Piss off man, or we'll both go without food."

"Wow, I'm sorry sir. I'd hate for you to starve. If anything, you could use a few hundred less twinkies per day." With that, Evan stormed off. He knew what would happen if he started a fight. He'd probably get some guard's hardlight baton to the head and spend the day in the jail. With no food. He walked to the back of the line, trying to keep his calm. The line went for another hundred or so people. Evan stopped at the end, next to a young kid. He let out a long sigh and a scoff before plopping down on the ground. "What a dick." Evan muttered under his breath.

The boy lowered his head respectfully, hoping the man wasn't mad at him. He looked around and his surroundings. Soldiers were creeping around, and the line went on for ages. His stomach rumbled sadly, weakly. Michael took a deep breath and tried to swallow, but there wasn't any saliva left to swallow.

He looked at the man, then peered over the shoulder of the person in front of him. He couldn't even see the end of the line. He turned back to the man and wondered what his story was. For all he knew, this guy could have been an astronaut, or a rather wealthy businessman. After all, he was just a stupid kid with no family left.

He shuffled his feet awkwardly and adjusted his coat. He wasn't cold, it just made him feel safer. He didn't know why. It just did. His mind wandered, and he wondered where his cousins were. He wondered what his mom would think of him now. He wondered where his dad was, if he was even still alive. His stomach growled loudly, startling him from his thoughts.

He heard a yell from somewhere to his left, and glanced at the man, wondering if he had heard it as well. He hoped there wasn't anything bad coming, because he knew he wouldn't last long on his own. He hoped he'd never have to leave the camp, even though it was pretty much a dump and he was always hungry. He sighed wearily and suddenly his leg gave out, sending him stumbling to the ground.

///

OH MY GOODNESS! I AM SO SORRY! My alerts never told me you posted! I am so sorry for being late! I hope you still want to do this... =/

Evan heard yelling. "Ugh, probably another fight. I don't like people." He wasn't talking to anyone in particular. The commotion continued off to the left. There was one person screaming. A few guards rushed over, past the line of people.

Evan was preoccupied with watching the guards, he almost didn't notice the kid falling. He saw it from the corner of his eye. Before he had time to do anything, the kid was on the ground. The man in front of the two looked down at him and asked "What's wrong with him?"

"I don't know." Evan snapped back at the man, still angry from before. "Sorry, I didn't mean that. Do you have any water or anything to give him?"

The man stood thinking for a moment before speaking. "No. I've got a kid of my own."

"Seriously?? This kid could be dying! You can survive without water for a day." Evan took out his own water bottle. It was a decent sized one that clipped to his backpack. Though it only had enough water for a few sips. He poured it into the kid's mouth. "Dude, you alright?"

///

It's all good dude! I'm sorry for not posting or anything. Honestly, I completely forgot about this website. I would love to do this still, I just don't know if anyone is still around to do it.

"I-I'm sorry..!" he stuttered, as he struggled to get back up again. "I didn't.. I didn't mean to...!" He scrambled to his feet, stumbling a bit. He wasn't sure what else to say, and his face was red with embarrassment. "Um, thank you..." he said finally, too scared to look up at the man, so instead staring down at his shoes.

He wasn't used to saying it often, as no one ever had done anything for him, and certainly wasn't used to hearing it. But he had learned a bit of manners from his mother before she died, and he'd never let himself forget it. He would have introduced himself next, if he had known he should have.

///

Oh okay phew... And yay! =D

Maeda had heard the quarrel and jogged over to where she saw the commotion occurring. She watched Michael stumble to his feet and cautiously walked over, grabbing his arm hoping to help support him. She looked at Evan, "You two know each other? Sorry to interfere with this... situation but if I can help you at all just let me know."

She thought about how much water she had left but decided it would be better to keep for any troublesome patches she may encounter in the future. Still holding onto Evan she slightly lightened her grip to test whether he would need to be helped more or was okay to leave and just follow around.

"Well, he seems to be fine. Dude, you don't need to look so ashamed or whatever, it's not a big deal."

He looked at the girl and asked, "So did you already get your rations or something? And anyway, who are you two? I haven't seen either of you around."

//

I'm going to change my character a little bit. Since at the moment, all three have quite similar personalities.

"Yeah, I got them earlier today. I try to wake up as early as possible so that I can get closer to the beginning of the group for rations. That way if something like this happens or we skip a few days I am not going to be overly broken down like everyone else."

"I'm Maeda who are you?" She pointed to the boy and hesitantly and looked at him trying to quickly scan him over.

Michael almost apologized for apologizing, but stopped himself before he could. He did have a habit of doing that. As the newcomer woman explained herself to him and the man, he wondered if he should leave, but stopped when both the adults asked who he was. He looked down and shuffled his feet.

"My-my name is Michael..." he whispered, too scared to look up. "I don't eat much." He pulled his jacket closer around him, and he shivered a little. Despite what he had said, he could feel his stomach rumbling. Though it was true he was used to not eating for long periods of time, everyone had to eat sometime.

"Dude, no offence, but you need to lighten up. I mean it's not like we'll hurt you. No need to be scared." He noticed the line had moved up a few feet. "If we wait a few more hours, we'll get some grub. Oh, and I'm Evan Conrad, nice to meet you both." He grabbed both their hands and gave them a shake. He had a habit of shaking people's hand's whether they liked it or not. Though it would drive the person away on occasion. "Want to ditch your work duties and wait in line with us?"

Since Evan had gotten to the safe zone a week ago, he had been distracting himself in any way he could. Most time ending with him in a jail cell and no food. Two nights before the current day, he had stolen a hot meal from a officer, barely getting away with the food before ditching the tray. He knew of a few spots to go to and hid from officers while doing his chores. His name had been growing in infamy among the guards of the east wing.

//

By the way, I edited the bio/first post a little. I added a paragraph describing how they act and stuff. Just a little addition.

Maeda nodded and looked at her pocket, "While we're waiting... since your so hungry I actually got some extra rations over the past few days so here." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a small roll of bread wrapped in a little white cloth and quickly pushed her hands forward. "Just make sure to take it quickly or else someone is going to try and get me in trouble."

She looked towards the line and started to slowly back up towards it, taking mental notes on the different people and trying to remember who she had seen before and what their jobs were.

Michael cringed, much to his own disdain, when the man--who identified himself as Evan Conrad--scolded him (in a way) for being nervous and hesitant. He couldn't help it. That was the way he'd been raised, and that was the only way he knew. When Evan shook his hand all of a sudden, he nearly jumped.

Maeda reached into her pocket, and pulled out a small bundle wrapped in white cloth. His nose twitched, and his stomach rumbled softly as he identified the smell as bread. He didn't dare speak. The woman seemed uneasy about the situation, as if she didn't want to get caught. He hoped she hadn't stolen it.

"Awesome, thanks!" He said in a hushed voice. Evan took a bite before placing it in his pocket, so no one could see.

"Could I get some of that?" the man in front of the three asked.

"Piss off man. We've got a little troublesome trio going on here. Trio means three, as in no room for others. I mean troublesome fouro doesn't sound right." He responded in a very matter of fact attitude.

"Really? So what would the guards say about that?"

"If your life had a face, I'd kick it in the balls." Evan tore his piece in half and handed it to him. "When we get to the front, you owe me. You give me some of your ration."

"Deal." The man responded. "I'm Allen by the way. So where are you guys from?"

Before anyone could respond, a loud crash, followed by screams could be heard from about a block west. Allen's eyes were wide as dinner plates. "The barricade. Oh god, not again."

Maeda turned towards the noise, shoving the bread back into the pocket. She moved closer to Allen and shivered a bit. "Do you think we should relocate yet?"

//going to be at school for a few hours

A sense of dread washed over Evan. "Oh god." The ration line they were standing in was on the sidewalk on a bigger street. The city safe zone was a barricaded industrial area of five or six blocks near some of the docks. The barricade one block down had broken, undead poured in. There were undead running with the survivors and it was impossible to tell them apart. There were a select few who ran towards the lost cause, with hopes to somehow push them back and reclaim the area.

Within a minute, everything was chaos. People ran towards the inner wall, since the way to the docks was mostly cut off. Others ran into buildings, while others swarmed the ration center to grab what they could and escape.

//

I'm not really posting much, since kate didn't post anything yet. I just want to set the scene a little better.

do you guys mind swearing? I'm not too partial to it, but I like keeping stuff like this realistic, and I mean, if this stuff happened, I'd be swearing.

also, look up the walking dead game. It's a great realistic representation to what it would be like. Plus one of the best stories of anything I've ever played, which is saying a lot. Do be warned though, you will cry. lots. It can get pretty rough

READ THIS: okay, so it seems like we have our system of doing this down. Taking turns. (I broke this mainly so I could say this.) Would you guys mind allowing the other two RPers in this to god-mod your character if you are gone for a day or two? Like if Kate doesn't post for a day, then me or Flor could take minimal control of Michael. And vise versa, if I don't post for a day, you guys can control and make Evan make decisions. That way it keeps the RP going. What do you say to that?

Michael would have screamed if his tongue wasn't caught in the back of his throat. An ocean of dread and fear washed over him, and his breathing became dangerously unsteady. He heard Evan mumble something, and that was when everything went downhill. The things were swarming in, and the boy almost threw up.

It was chaos-- absolute chaos. Michael was terrified. He knew he couldn't run as fast as normal boys his age, which made his stomach lurch again. "E-Evan!" he screamed, finally regaining his voice. "Maeda!" He knew he was going to die now; there was no hope left. He stumbled through the crowds of people, desperately hoping for someone to help him.

///

((Soo sorry; been on vacation all week but I'll be back to normal by tomorrow ;)

I don't care if you guys swear, but I'm not going to. After all, he is just a kid, and I, myself, wouldn't swear..AND OH MY GOSH THAT GAME WILL E THE DEATH OF ME I LOVE IT SO MUCH ( ; u ; )

As for the god-moding...umm...well I'd feel a bit weird actually TAKING OVER a character, but mentioning them like 'oh yeah they all went down this corridor or ran away from the zombies or ate lunch or something' I'm fine with.

Eg.: 'Michael sat down and rubbed his head, before the three of them set up camp for the night.' NOT: 'Michael sat down and rubbed the back of his head, while Evan came up to him, before telling him, "[insert tragic personal backstory here]." Meanwhile, Maeda wandered off and had a reminiscent flashback.'

Honestly, to me, it wouldn't work because we DON'T KNOW each other's characters as well as we know our own, and I'd hate to misrepresent such amazing people. Idk just my thoughts. I do like the idea though! =D))

Maeda turned back towards the rations line and eyes up anywhere they could "hide" to stay safe until someone took control of the situation. She saw a low rooftop that had a dumpster next to it. She thought through in her head a plan where they could all three get onto the rooftop and be provided with some safety for a few hours, or however long it would take to clear out.

"Michael don't worry... We'll be fine. I have a plan though. Evan!" She grabbed their arms and started pulling towards the dumpster, trying to push past the crowd that had turned into one mass of chaos. People started to panic even more as time went on.

/// I love the walking dead game except for the end of season one ;-; that was a cruel way to end. But since I really only post in the morning and night due to school feel free to kinda gm my character if I don't respond for a while (I'll be out until 12-ish central time today) :) swearing is fine too although I probably won't use too strong of words if I write them :3

Everything was a haze. It was happening again. Walking corpses riddled the streets. Evan couldn't move. The undead moved with the people, grabbing the nearest person. It wasn't until Madea grabbed his arm that he snapped out of it. They were headed towards a dumpster in a alleyway, near a low roof. Evan couldn't think. With every person he saw get grabbed, he saw his roomate get grabbed. With every bite the undead took, he saw his roomate as the victim.

He panicked. Sprinting ahead, he left the other two behind and scrambled to the roof. There were three others who had the same idea. Two guards and a little kid. Evan fell to the ground and lay there, nearly hyperventilating.

//

Yeah, that's what I meant. Like only for little stuff like moving elsewhere or having food or something. Heh, amazing people, I feel like most of those people would die off in a zambo apocalypse

I'm typically rp to get the feel for writing different personalities. So now i'm trying the whole "acts tough, isn't very tough" personality. Or the person that helps himself first, and others second for the most part. I've never written a character like this before.

Okay, sounds good.

Dude. that game is rough. First season I loved, and I liked how it ended. I mean it was realistic, and emotional, and made me cry. First game/movie/anything to do that.

Season 2 I love more. And with how episode 4 ended, oh man. Whooo boy, the anticipation for the finale is killing me. That episode 5 trailer man.

Michael felt himself being grabbed by Maeda at his wrist, and he almost pulled away in a rather terrified manner, but once he realized it was her, he managed to restrain himself. "Michael don't worry..." she said. "We'll be fine. I have a plan though. Evan!" The boy found both himself and the man being dragged towards a dumpster near a low roof.

However, Evan sprinted ahead, seeming to have no care if Michael or Maeda died. The man clambered towards the roof, where other people awaited the trio. It was three more people--two guards, and a young child. Michael wondered what this kid was doing here, and where their parents were... if they were still alive.

Reaching the dumpster, Maeda jumped up onto it and turned to face the walls, keeping a watch on Michael. She saw a swarm of infected getting closer and all of the infected that had reached the area they were in.

She turned to Michael and knelt down to help him up if he needed. Every second that passed by she felt like they were both going to die.

Maeda climbed up onto the dumpster swiftly, right before glancing back at the wall had once stood strong, but now had infected creatures swarming in like bees to honey. The woman turned back to Michael, who looked up at her pleadingly, terrified. She knelt down to help him, and he sure did try, but his leg wasn't cooperating.

He almost started to cry; they were getting closer every second, and there was barely any way he could get up on top of this dumpster, much less this roof. He pulled his unresponsive lower half up as far as he could, using his arms, which weren't very strong either. A tear rolled down his cheek and he squeezed his eyes shut, sure he was going to die.

One of the guards quickly stood at the sight of Evan and ran to the side of the roof. He saw Madea attempting to help Michael onto the building. Quickly, he reached down and pulled Michael up before reaching his other hand out to Madea.

Evan continued to lie down and try to keep himself together, not thinking of anyone aside from everyone he knew. "Why do I do this? I'll never get home."

Maeda took his hand quickly, grateful, and started to panic more. "What do we do if they find a way up?" She looked around for any possible new places they'd be safe and couldn't find any. She turned back towards the people, quickly regretting her decision after seeing all of the violence, then almost immediately turned towards Evan again. "We need a plan..."

Looking at Michael she felt her emotions take over a little, "Do you have a family here? I'm alone but you both must have someone down there right?" She thought about her family and almost started to cry when the noise from the crowd shook her out of the mental state.

Michael felt his hand being grabbed by Evan, shortly before being yanked up onto the top of the dumpster. The man laid down, and seemed to be stressed. (Gee, I wonder why!) "What do we do if they find a way up?" Maeda asked, looking around. She then turned to Evan, obviously a bit panicky herself. "We need a plan..."

The woman turned to Michael, her eyes becoming a bit softer. "Do you have a family here?" she asked, and the boy felt his stomach lurch. "I'm alone," she continued, "but you both must have someone down there right?" He shook his head as a single tear rolled down his cheek. "I-I don't know. I don't think so." Maeda almost looked like she wanted to cry.

"M-my family is in oh-Ohio. I just moved near here last month, my roomate died I think." Still shaky, Evan tried to pull himself together. He was breaking. "Look. I think the power went down a while ago. If we can get to that taller building, we could use the power line like a zipline. I don't think I could do it though."

One of the guards, a stout but strong looking man, was scanning the alley and street for any sign of survivors, but after a mere ten minutes, all that remained were the undead. With the chaos over, they went back to eating and shambling about. An occasional scream or cry for help could be heard off in the distance. However it was mostly drowned out by the moaning of the undead. "There's a fire escape across the alley here. There's no way we can jump that far, so unless there's a sturdy plank or bridge, we'll have to jump down and make it across." He studied the faces of the six on the building. The three newcomers had different looks about them, Evan looking horrified. The young girl had a similar look of horror, while what looked to be her father, for they shared similar facial structure, gave a angry look.

The tall scrawny man by the girl stood up, "I'm not putting my sister through anything else. She's seen hell. And if I can help it, she won't see it again."

"Shut up!" the guard hissed at him, crouching at the same time. "Look, we need to stay quiet, else we'll attract them. I'll go first, make sure it's safe. I know that building, if we can get to the top safely, and if I can get inside I could get to the warden's office on the first floor. I know he kept a few guns in there. And we'll need supplies for when we leave. If you hadn't noticed, it's an apartment building. There might even be survivors in there. I'm going with you or without you, who's in?"

//

sorry about not posting more. I've been really working on my art a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back