• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Livid Ones

OOC
Here

Doowy

Apocalyptic Wonder
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
December 13th, 1993

20 Hours before the "Knox Event"

9:00AM

James grunted lowly under his breath as he loaded the tools onto the back of his beat up ford, the thing was practically falling to pieces at this rate and was mostly held together with dreams and prayers; He let loose a sigh as he closed the tailgate and headed inside for some warmer weather.

The routine snow had gotten rather old already as the cold months rolled in and only seemed to make his mood worse with each day that damnable weather didn't change.

"-nd In other news, our Illustrious mayor Conningwell had this to say to the heated debates over the lease agreements given to the Research I-"

He blearily walked into the cramped farm house, as he rooted around in one of the cabinet drawers looking for the damned key to the shed; With a small 'aha' he succeeded in his little hunt and rounded back out into the weather with a small run to the shed to try and limit as much exposure as he could possibly hope to.

He shoved the key into the lock of the shed and was met with resistance causing him to groan loudly as he shoved into the rusted door and forced his way in allowing him to finally look around the small shack, quickly his eyes fall onto the tool he'd been looking for.

The trusty shovel of his was about as old as he was, hell he remembered when his Pa' made the damn thing- well rather made James learn how to make it himself.

He let out a low chuckle as the lights of the shed flickered over head causing him to turn his head towards it with a questioning look.

'Power on the fritz again? Those Dexter boys said they'd fixed the line last time.' With a shake of his head he cleared his thoughts, needed to focus on one thing at a time; He made his way back into the snow and over to the truck with a quick gait- tossing the raggedy shovel into the bed as he hopped quickly into the cab that'd been heating up the entire time.

"-his is Tom! From 108.5 The Knox Kicker! Your home for classic country music and I'm your host Tom Wheeler!- We'll let you folks get right to the music soon enough but first things first- everyone looking forward to the Louisville Christmas parade later today? I know I am!" a low chuckle escapes from the beat radio in the cab as the Excitable radio host continues yammering "In other news the weather is awful with a chance of absolutely shit but you knew that!" a really shitty Sitcom laughter is played.

James shakes his head fondly as he pulls out into the gravel drive of the little homestead, pulling the beat up ford down into the forested road as he starts to speed down the dirt trails.

"-Oh and for the folks around Muldraugh keep an eye out for an wild dogs, been getting reports since late last night about attacks happening around the area and for the Listeners in Fort Knox we've got talks about some sort of flu passing around down there, you becareful now- don't need our soldiers getting sick ya hear?"

'Shit, probably should keep avoiding Mr. Danvers for now then- he's been bothering me about that firewood down in the fort for weeks now.'
he thought with a small smile as his mind drifted trying to think of the entire Agenda he'd needed to get done for the day.

'Hit up Mike, see if anything's needed at the mill today I suppose, if not try and go Christmas shopping for Amanda and Annette...' he frowns softly as his thoughts trail towards his young daughters, he hoped they'd be enjoying the parade later tonight but due to the... circumstances with their mother at the moment he wasn't really certain.

Maybe... He should head to Louisville tonight, just for the show of course.

He groaned out loud as he facepalmed before quickly getting his hand back on the wheel as he tried once again in vain to focus.

Last edited:
December 13th, 1993

Minnie perched on the tips of her toes, gazing out of her bedroom window. It was snowing! She hated the cold. It meant walking around the apartment wrapped in a duvet, doubling up on socks to keep her feet warm, not wanting to get out of bed in the morning... but snow made it worth it. Snow was the fun part of cold! She tried to peer further down the road, her forehead bumping against the glass. Snow plows didn't come down their street... which meant perfect, pristine, powdery snow to play in!

"Minnie--" Her sister murmured, pulling her socks over her feet. Her voice was quiet, her eyes glancing anxiously at their bedroom door, "Get dressed!"
Minnie took one last, long look at the snow outside, before dropping to her knees and rummaging through her chest of drawers. Layering was key for weather like this. Tights under dungarees, a vest under a sweater, two pairs of socks, gloves, scarf, and coat.

"Can we go to the Christmas parade later?" She piped up, investigating a hole in her coat in the mirror.
"Uhh... maybe," Her sister muttered, getting to her feet. She stood behind her, running a hand through her little sisters hair. She grabbed a hair brush, untangling the knots and smoothing it out. It was the same every Christmas.
You have to look good for my sister. She has her shit together. She has an office job and a husband and an actual house, so we have to look like WE have our shit together. Look NORMAL.
"Maybe after Auntie Do-Yun," She considered. Their mother would never go with them... but she spent most evenings out doing God knows what with God knows who. That meant the kids had free rein of the house!

She flinched as fists slammed on their bedroom door, sending the hair brush tumbling down her sister's back.
"WE GOTTA GO!" Their mother yelled, pacing the living room. God, they were gonna miss the bus, then they'd be late, then her sister would know she was a mess. God, why'd she even have kids? She could've been there and back already if she'd just--

The bedroom door opened and her kids, wrapped up warm in their puffy coats. She scanned the two of them, appraising their outfits. Matching socks, matching gloves, tidy hair...
"Is that a hole in your coat?" She frowned, poking at it with her finger, "How the hell did you do that?".
Minnie froze, her hands fidgeting with the bottom hem of her coat... She swallowed.
"Uhh..." She muttered. What was the least damaging answer she could give? What would make her the least angry?
"I did it. I caught it on something doing laundry," Haewon piped up, shuffling an inch closer to her sister. She stared into her mother's eyes, her shoulders broad, her chest puffed out.
"An accident, huh?" Her mother muttered, arms crossed.
She huffed, running a shakey hand through her hair. The sisters knew what that shaking meant. She'd tried to balance the alcohol: Too little and she'd withdraw, too much and she'd slur her words. She was teetering on the pinnacle of tipsiness, just enough to keep the sickness at bay.
"Whatever, we don't have fucking time for this..." She growled, ushering her children towards the door, "Go, before we miss the goddamn bus!"

The three shuffled out of the apartment building and into the snow, sirens and shouts filling the air. That was simply the music of the neighborhood, something the kids were used to. Their mother took the lead, striding ahead towards the bus stop. Minnie and her sister lagged behind, shoving the toes of her winter boots into the soft snow and watching it kick up with each step. Maybe they could make snowmen later... Maybe their auntie would make them hot cocoa! She felt her stomach growl, clutching at her waist... but her auntie always got the biscuits out when they visited. Only thirty minutes... in only thirty minutes, she'd be warm and well fed!

James' head bobbed along to the music as he cruised down the backroads heading towards Muldraugh, his head tilted softly as he noticed a small sedan smoking from it's hood off to the side of one of the roads as he passed through.

He slowed down as he passed straight through the intersecting roads and began to reverse backwards to get a better look; the dingy gray sedan had definitely seen better days, his brows furrowed as he turn his truck and pulled up beside the smaller car.

He put the gear into park and he stepped out with some caution his head turning whatever way the closest sound came from- a habit he still hasn't kicked yet.

He strides towards the driver side of the sedan noticing now the door was slightly ajar and the window was busted, there were drops of blood around the glass leading out into the snow and across the dash-

He let out a puff of breath into the cold air as he looked around slowly, not much could really been seen in this weather though so he stepped away and yelled "Hey Is anyone out here!?" but the only response he got was the wind...

He frowned and walked behind the sedan and memorized the license plate, he'd alert someone the moment he could get to a payphone, with a small 'tch' and a sigh he hopped back into the warm cab and continued his route to Muldraugh.

As he pulled off the crunching of snow beneath heavy paws could be heard as the head of a dog poked it's way from the tree's, it panted heavily as it was evident it'd been running towards this direction rapidly.

It searched through the snow haze for the sound it'd heard but found nothing but the sedan.

Four more dogs of varying breeds appeared behind it as they all panted heavily in ways the seemed almost painful to watch, their eyes vacant.

Odd clips around their ears could be seen if one were there to witness it, Almost like cattle tags...

December 13th, 1993

Sloan​

Sloan rolled out of bed, slapping the alarm clock next to her violently. Perpetually a late sleeper, she lazily got up, and dragged her feet to the kitchen, digging around in the sparsely stocked pantry for some cereal. There wasn't a lot of healthy food in there, mainly cereal, white bread, and other junk-foods. She dropped a bowl onto the counter littered by dirty dishes, and proceeded to fix herself a heaping serving.

She carried her sloshy bowl over to the couch, and flipped on the old second hand TV. She had to whack it, but it turned on just fine after that. She watched the news half interestedly, not really paying attention. "Propaganda" she muttered through mouth full before shoving another spoonful between her lips.

After she was finished, she set her bowl amongst the other dishes and went back to her room to get dressed, leaving the TV droning in the background. She sighed, thinking about the cold, and made sure to put an underlayer to her baggy jeans and oversized hoodie. She decided two layers of hole-riddled socks was enough under her combat boots and headed out the door.

"Shit." She mumbled, running back in. "Keys." She also realized she forgot to turn off the TV, which she promptly did so before heading out one last time. She hurried through the chilly weather to her car, wishing she would have put more layers on instead of being lazy. She popped open the door to the run-down station wagon, and started it up. Well, tried. On the fourth time it eventually sputtered to life with the help of a few well placed cuss words.

She took off down the icy Louisville roads, driving questionably. When she turned into the main road though, she quickly found herself stuck in a long of weather-induced traffic. "I'm going to be late for my shift!" She yelled, enhancing the sentence with colorful language. "Come on, stupid, just drive straight! Keep going!" She blasted the horn, a few times, but gave up, sinking into her seat, flipping on the radio.

Last edited:
Sloan​

The radio whirred to life barely as a choppy voice clips in "-ello Louisville, this is your main man-" another voice clips in "- and your girl!" before switching back "- Logan and Tanya! down here on the Bank of the Ohio river just north of the hustle and bustle of the city as the preparations for the Parade are underway!"

The feminine voice cuts back in "And what a sight it is Logan, giant balloons and floats are being touched up as we speak in preparation for tonight- why even our Resident Intelligent weirdos have a float in it!" the voice laughs.

The male cuts back in "Oh- yes you heard that right, the R.I have decided to grace our little parade with a float of their own devise to 'Celebrate' a little bit of the holiday spirit with us all, I for one can't wait to see what they've got in store for us- but in other news, Mayor Conningwell released a statement this morning just about the same weirdos-"

The radio cuts out as it clicks errantly then completely dies.

Last edited:
James

The snow dashed along his windshield as he made it to the highway his thoughts muddled between the worries over his "Plan" for the parade and the odd sight of that sedan, It's not there hasn't been abandoned cars before on the back roads but that one gave an absolutely eerie feeling.

He shivered and not because of the cold, he could feel a cold sweat breaking down his spine but fortunately his thoughts were broken by the bright lights of Willies; Willies was a little local owned gas station in Muldraugh, a lovely little place that most of the locals flock around.

He pulled in from the empty highway and upto one of the empty gaspumps, he let out a chilly breath as he hopped out of the cab and made his way inside "Mornin' Jack!" a fatherly voice said from behind the counter.

James' gave a quick wave and a small "Hello" before he started to look around the small store, He grabbed a bag of jerky and headed uptowards the counter "Mornin' Willie, how are we doing today?" James' asked simply as he wringed the cold from his hands.

The older man behind the counter smiled softly "Same old, same old. Been hearing some odd shit from the badges all morning- lots of issues down in Fort Knox today." he said in a 'Conspiring' sorta way as he leaned over the counter exaggeratedly, James just smiled fondly as he shook his head and passed over the cash for the jerky.

"Don't think too hard about it Willie, you ain't got the brain for it." James said getting a lowly chortle in response as he headed out the door.

'Right, guess I should head for the station then?' he thought to himself pulling up beside his truck before a- low bang and a brush of air passed over his head, he ducked rapidly pulling the fallen man at his feet towards him, gotta keep pressure on the wound. Gotta keep pressure on the- James blinked frantically from his position on his knees as his hand ached from the grip he had on the side of the truck bed.

He looked over to where the sound originated as he got his breathing under control, a Man was picking up a metal bar that'd rolled out of his own truck and the sight made James calm down considerably more as he got to his shaky feet.

He heaved a heavy breath and hopped into his truck quickly, a wave of embarrassment hitting him over the little episode.

Minnie​

As the bus slowly crept it's way up the road, trying not to skid in the slick surface, Minnie's mother picked up the pace.
"We are not missing this bus!" She snarled at her children, trudging through the snow with determination they hadn't seen in a long time.
Haewon grasped her little sister's hand, jogging a few strides to catch up to their mother, dragging her in tow.

As the three boarded the bus, leaving clumps of slow by the door, their mother put on her best loving mother face. She requested her tickets in a voice they rarely heard but still recognised: Her best "I'm friendly, please like me!" voice. They shuffled down the aisle, finding a convenient seat, their mother in front, the sisters on the two seats behind.

It was a fair journey to their aunt's house, around half an hour if traffic allowed, but the weather meant they were dawdling along at a snails pace. Minnie peered from the window, fidgeting anxiously with her hands. Each time her mother impatiently tapped her toes on the floor of the bus, she felt her anxiety building. It wasn't her fault that the bus was moving so slow, yet somehow, it felt like it was. She swallowed, her throat tight as she tried to focus on the snow. 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear etc etc... Minnie was sure that had never worked.

As they passed part of the route for the parade, her eyes lit up. Of course, the parade wasn't for hours, the floats were miles away, but the lights. The overhead lights had been set up ahead of schedule to be left over the Christmas period. Being 9am, they weren't on, but Minnie could picture what they'd look like at night... Strings of fairylights lined the storefronts with larger fixtures above the roads. She tugged on Haewon's coat.
"Look!" She whispered, pointing to the electronic angel above them as the bus passed it. Haewon leaned in to get a better look, a smile tugging on the corners of her lips. Maybe they should see the parade later...

Last edited:
Sloan​

Sloan finally parked her car in the local Walmart's parking lot, sighing as she looked at the time. 15 minutes late, it wasn't that bad... She made and face and got out, once again feeling the cold.

She rushed in, pushing through the snow, feeling awfully foolish. She hurriedly tied on the blue employee's apron that they were required to wear, and proceeded to try and sneak to the back of the building, but a voice startled her.

"Sloan!" she turned around, it was just Eli.

Eli was a tall skinny teen, just new to the job. Although he was the newbie, he was quite the rule follower, and was doing well. Him and Sloan got along well enough, but he did occasionally reprimand her for her tardiness or laziness, not to much avail though of course. "I'm an adult," was usually the response he got.

"Don't do that, Eli!" she said, pretending to be angry, but a small smile gave it away.

"You know you're late, big guy ain't gonna like that," He returned the smile in his own lopsided way.

"I'm not late if he doesn't know I'm late," she replied, winking. She then scurried off again, shelves needed restocked.

Maybe she could make it to the parade if she worked fast enough, she could always clean up her current work next shift of course...

Last edited:
James​

"Yup, just off Bellingrath. I'm not sure a dark blue sedan? Lots of blood around it-" James responded into the payphone, he'd done a quickstop at a small diner down in westpoint a few hours away from Louisville. "- Did I see anything suspicious? Well the mirror look like it was smashed but other than that I'm not certain- Yeah?... What's my name? It's James Craven, Yeah. Yeah that Craven- you know Jule? Yeah I'm her cousin." he sighed- the voice on the end finally petering out as the deputy hung up.

He looked around the snowy parking lot, it was barren given all the festivities that should be starting downtown in a few- he'd looked down at his watch -hours... he debated for a moment before slotting in a few more quarters and dialing another number.

"Howdy, Tom there?... Yeah I'm just checking to see if ya'll have the bar open with all the festivities going on today." a brief pause indicated the voice on the other side moved away. "Alright, let him know Jack's coming over for some Tunk if he's down then." with that he hung up and marched back over to the beat up truck.

He looked back at the diner the odd silence of the usually bustling place getting to him slightly- he debated on stopping for a quick bite but an odd sense of Nausea turned him away as he hopped back into the cab and drove off.

a Pale shaking hand pressed against the window of the diner as he peeled off.

Minnie​

The bus ride was slower than molasses and the children on the bus found themselves getting lost in anything but the slow ride, to the right of Minnie and her family a younger boy- perhaps looking to be about seventeen was seen chewing nervously on his finger.

Traffic was flowing terribly as the sounds of a helicopter flew overhead, looking out the window you could see several Military Chinook's flying over the downtown area, assumed to be here as part of the festivities.

Sloan​

The morning was going just about how you expect in Walmart during Christmas, people buying gifts and food to stock on hand before Christmas day but today had a bit of a an eerie silence to it in a way you couldn't quite explain.

Sure there was the hustle and bustle, the chatting of co-workers and customers alike but there was just... something wrong in the air.

Perhaps your just being contentious but people look sick today, coughing and sneezing being a common thing you've seen all morning, not to mention the few younger folks who seem to be constantly biting at their fingernails and not in the usual, "Shy" nervous habit but rather as if they were trying to pick the skin off.

Last edited:
Minnie​

Minnie's eyes widened as helicopters flew overhead, trying to lean a little further forward to get a better look and almost bumping her forehead into the glass.
"Woah! What're they for?" She whispered.
Haewon frowned, resting a hand on her sisters shoulder as she leaned in. She shrugged.
"What's that thing?" Minnie continued, pointing to a chinook soaring over a few buildings. Haewon simply shrugged again. Neither of them were exactly military aircraft connoisseurs.
"Guess it's for the parade..." She murmured, sitting back in her seat. She began to question their plans... What did they need military aircraft for at a parade of all things? It was her job to keep her little sister safe, was taking her a bad idea? She sighed. They hadn't gone anywhere fun in a while, or at least for any reason other than avoiding their mother.

She watched her sister sit down properly in her seat, her legs swinging from the chair as she looked around the bus. It was booooring, they'd been sat still for what felt like hours, though was more like 10 minutes. Her eyes met with those of a boy just a little older than Haewon, gnawing on his finger. He quickly averted his gaze, his jaw moving quicker as his anxiety grew. She frowned. Haewon followed her gaze.
"Don't look at him. Probably a druggy," She whispered to her sister, keeping her voice low.

Sloan​

As Sloan worked her shift restocking shelves, she watched as various kinds of costumers came and left. A couple even left an imprint on her mind for some reason, making direct eye contact as they passed her by I'm the aisles, but something was wrong. Maybe it the fact that they all seemed overly anxious, bringing chewing on their fingers to the next level, she was disgusted by these people practically trying to eat themselves, fingers in their mouths, then touching products, repeat.

It left her with an odd feeling of unease, and she couldn't but help but watch the clock hands which seemed to be practically crawling. Only a few more hours. There was one particular "customer" who came in a total wreck. They had bloodshot eyes and seemed very sick, and started aggressively arguing with the cashier and had to be escorted out. What was with the increasing amount of wackos today? She had heard other people talking about how these people seemed to be drugheads, maybe that was it.

Whatever, sooner she was out the better, she wasn't working a job that required anything social anyway.

Last edited:
James​

With a heavy chest he hopped out of the truck, It'd taken a few hours but he was finally here... Louisville.

He was never a fan of the city- just was never his sort of place to hang out, but old Tom's Bar? Well he had fond memories; His first drink was here, first card game, first hookup. Lotta Firsts.

He knocked on the door of the Dark Bar, having closed early due to the festivities though sure to open back up when all the adults take the kids home.

The bar was even in a good spot, just off the main street of down town- he'd had to go around the alley to the back parking to even find a spot; His musings cut off as a small woman opened the door and let him in "Hey Maria, How's Charlie?"

She smiled demurely as she guided him in to the dimly lit bar where a few guys could be seen playing what seems to be Tonk with several cold beers out, "He's doing better, a little under the weather still- Doctors not quite sure what bit him but they said he'll be right as rain by tonight." she finished as she went to fetch another beer just for him.

He shook his head "Tom, that girls too good for ya and this raggedy ass bar." he said with a chuckle as he pulled up a seat the men around it laughing at his comment "Wha? Ya' thinkin I don't know tha?" the accented older man replied with a deep chortle

James looked over to a clock on the wall 12:31PM... Just another 4 Hours before the parade starts.

16 Hours before the "Knox Event"

Sloan​

Sloan had been working about four hours now, and her scheduled shift was five. She glanced at the clock on the wall, eh, thirty more minutes would be fine, people are going to be at the parade anyway. Those thirty minutes didn't pass fast, and didn't go by slow. It was fairly quiet, but the occasional wackos walking in kept it interesting enough, the very few that came through were entertaining to spy on from the next aisle over.

Finally, the hour hand was half way to five. It was Walmart, everything was halfway, people didn't come here for it's great reputations and sparkling attention to details, they came here because it was cheap and fast. Just how Sloan liked it. She sloppily shoved three more products on the shelf she was restocking, then took off her apron and threw it into the closet. Sauntering out undeterred by the prospect of getting fired, she shot a displeased Eli a wink as she slipped out the door.

Cold again. Her easy gait turned to quick steps as she hurried to her car again, the slamming the door she started it up, waiting for the engine to warm up. In the meantime, she inserted her Red Hot Chili Peppers cassette tape, it took a few whacks, just like her tv, but it eventually sputtered to life with sound. Much better than the nonsense on the radio.

Starting up the engine, she took another look at all the traffic. Great. She hated to be out, but maybe if she stopped at her apartment and grabbed something warmer she would go to the parade. As the rusty station wagon wheeled away, she decided she'd do it. Might be fun, who knows.

James​

'Jingle bells~ Jingle bells~ Jingle bell rock-'

The joyful sound of children running around in excitement fill the busy street as the 'merry' feeling persists in just about everyone coming to the parade, Even now some streets are being cordoned off and people are moving cars out of the way of potential avenues; Vendors put up stalls to sell whatever holiday wares they have as the joy continues to build up around them.

James let out a chuff of air as he rubbed his freezing hands "Should've brought some damned gloves." he said under his breath as he weaved through the crowds of people, his head on a swivel.

He was looking for his daughters, it'd been a year or so since he last physically saw them so it was quite the task. His eyes glint off the pale-blonde hair that is instinctually known to him- he sighs heavily as his eyes land on Lily.

Lily had once been his wife they had met when he had been on leave and just... clicked together, she'd been something he never knew he had needed in his life and the void that she's left has been damning, more so for taking his daughters with her.

He rubbed his hands nervously, wouldn't be the smartest Idea to 'bump' into her here, not now anyway.

He glanced down at his watch "3:45PM" and smiled, the parade would be starting soon enough and maybe even if from afar he'd get to watch his daughters enjoy themselves; As such he leaned against one of the buildings along the avenue as the music switched to another song overhead in the speakers.

It would be well, worth the wait.

Minnie

"Oh, my darlings!" Dohyun cooed, her arms outstretched as her nieces stood at her door. Their mother had always made snarky comments about her childless sister. She loved her nieces, but could never find a man who would stay long enough to impregnate her, or that was what their mother always said.

Before the two could embrace her, Dohyun hesitated, taking a step back.
"Ah-- Sorry, girls, I've got a bit of a cold," She explained with a sad smile. She wanted to hug them, she hadn't seen them in months... but she couldn't ruin their Christmas by giving them the flu.
"Come in, come in!" She grinned, holding the door open for the trio to enter.

They were soon settled in her warm living room, the girls' toes cozy and warm in their socks as they enjoyed their hot cocoas... yet they were careful. Enough biscuits to look grateful and satiate their hunger, but not too many and look greedy or underfed. Minnie was zoned out, sat by her sister on the carpet and watching her aunt as she spoke to her mother... Her eyes looked a little bloodshot, but she had said she was sick... As she reached to chew on her fingernails, her arm swung into her coffee mug, spilling hot tea across he carpet.
"Oh! Clumsy me..." She murmured, slowly getting to her feet. Her hip bumped into her armchair as she shuffled into the kitchen, quietly mumbling to herself... "Clumsy me, c-c-clumsy me... clu-msy m-me..."

Minnie watched her silently, looking to her sister. She'd never seen her auntie sick before... She swallowed, fidgeting with her hands. She flinched as she felt a sharp pain in her rib, quickly pressing her hand to them. Her mother had prodded her in the side with her toe, giving her a stern look.
"Don't be rude," She whispered, almost snarling at her. Looking so judgmentally at her poor, sick auntie. How dare she...

Their mother got to her feet, going to help her sister in the kitchen.
"What do we do..." Minnie whispered, leaning closer to her sister. Haewon frowned a little, unable to take her eyes away from their aunt.
"Nothing. She's not sick enough for an ambulance," She whispered back with a shrug.

Minnie sat quietly on the sofa, listening to the quiet movements above her. Their mother had decided they needed to stay the night, though Haewon wasn't sure this was out of any form of compassion. Dohyun had heating and had the money to pay for said heating, and surely she'd be in her sister's debt once she was better. So, there they were, sitting in the living room, munching on the rest of the biscuits.

Their breathing seemed to somehow get quieter as they heard their mother's footsteps head down the stairs. They'd memorized her gait, the weight behind each step, so they knew it was her before she made it to the bottom of the stairs.
"Are either of you planning on helping, or are you just gonna sit there and fatten up on biscuits?" She murmured, headed for the first aid kit in the kitchen. Normally, these comments would be sharp and loud, but she had softened her voice to avoid her own sister from hearing her. Minnie hesitated, unsure what she wanted help with. She hurriedly got to her feet, following her obediently into the kitchen. What did sick people want... Hot soup? No, she couldn't cook. Hot tea? No, she couldn't make that, either... Maybe water!

As she stood on the tips of her toes, reaching for a glass in the cupboard above her head, Haewon foresaw the next few moments. She got to her feet, rushing behind her before she could cause an avalanche of fancy glasses to shatter on the pristine counter. As their mother turned, first aid kit in hand, she almost collided with Haewon. She growled, slamming the green bag onto the countertop.
"You know what?! You two are always in my fucking way," She complained, still keeping her voice lower than normal. She shoved her hands into her pockets, scraping together some change. She slammed it into Haewon's chest.
"Go find something to do, I don't care what," She snapped, snatching the bag from the counter, "Just don't get in fucking trouble."

The two shuffled out into the cold, wrapped up in their winter coats and scarves. It was getting dark out, it was that time of year where the sun set before school even ended. Minnie tucked her hands into her pockets, her scarf covering her mouth, her eyes glazed over.
"Hey..." Haewon murmured, resting a hand on her shoulder, "At least we can go to the parade, right?"
Minnie looked up at her, taking a moment... before smiling. Maybe their day wouldn't be so bad, after all.

Sloan​

Sloan had returned to her apartment already, now practically waddling around in layers of warmth. She was amongst the crowd now surrounding the street, most of them bundled up like the Michelin tire man as well. Children waiting impatiently for the show of dazzling wonderment, tired adults pacing to keep warm, there was an aura of tension. Yet it somehow was not quite right... It wasn't only waiting...

Sloan shook it off, she had to be getting the flu or something, why else would she be feeling so randomly paranoid. It seemed to be going around anyway, all the odd folks acting sick. Maybe this was a mistake, probably better to stick it out though, it'd be quite the workout to extract herself from the layers anyway, and waste to have already armored herself in just to do nothing.

Sloan decided to just buy herself a coffee, would it make it hard to sleep due to the caffeine so late in the day? Probably. Did she care? Didn't give one shit. Boredom and cravings won, she stepped into a small coffee shop on the street feeling her nose tingle from the sudden warm air. She stepped into line, maybe she would even wait here until the parade started.

James​

He rubbed his tired eyes as the first of the floats started to go by, a small patrol of Officers just ahead of them; The laughter and conversation from those young and old picked up in speed as everyone began to enjoy the festivities.

Small plush-toys and candies were being thrown from the floats as they passed by causing more excitement for the children, everything seemed rather heavenly and the oddities of the day slipped from his mind, up in the air several Military helicopters could be seen flying in formation above adding to the hype of the whole experience.

He figured now would be a better time than never as he slipped into the crowd towards where he could see his Ex-Wife and his children.

It didn't take her long to notice him in the crowd and her expression quickly soured and barely through the dins of the crowd did he hear "What in the hell are you doing here." which drew the Attention of his daughters as they turned around.

"Daddy!" his youngest Annette exhaled in what was barely words and more of a squeal as she ran to hug him; his Oldest Amanda kind of looked on from the side with awkward air as she hung up a hand in a solemn wave.

He frowned holding out an arm towards her in a 'Come give me a hug' sort of way but she simply turned and rubbed her arm "H-Hey dad." Amanda Said and though he was saddened for a moment he nodded and whispered towards her "Hey honey, how've you been?" the entire time his Ex-Wife Sarah looked on with a foul expression as she glared at him. "Hello to you to Sarah, how's Mike?"

She forced the look from her face as he children turned and responded with a guarded "Great, Just great." she forced out as Amanda slipped out from behind her and turned back towards the floats. Annette pulled away from him down at his waist as she babbled on excitedly about everything he'd missed in the last year. "Woah- Woah now lil' sugar we can talk about all that later on, you'll miss the parade if you keep going like that" he said which quickly made the young girl twirl around with excitement as she went back to watching the floats and showmen in the streets.

Sarah just glared at him and honestly? He did a little bit of the same back at her.

It was almost time to go out on the float, she knew that but god... oh god... her lungs burned- "Kay?" she struggled for breath as she pulled herself up and into the outfit "Kay." her head spun as the room twisted around her, she felt something slip from her nose as she quickly rubbed it away with a tissue not even deigning to look down at it "Kay!"

With a sudden gasp she turned towards the voice as if just noticing the room full of people she was with inside the float, they were all staring at her oddly with wide eyes "Are you alright to go out there? That nose-bleed looks pretty bad." she just.... nodded her head unable to really work her jaw into words, god she wishes she didn't sign up for this- she's just so fucking doesn't wanna be here. Not with these people, not in this room- god she'd just... just...

"Look, I know we're being paid to Sponsor the R.I but you don't have to suffer for a payday hon." one of the girls whispered to her consolingly as Kay envisioned pulping her skull into the side of the desk she sat at.

"Shit no more time for talk, it's about time we get out there" one more girl said as voices picked up from outside and their float came out into the public view, Kay turned around towards the box of stuffed animals she was meant to grab as the girls filed out of the bottom of the float- she shook her head briefly as she suddenly sneezed a spray of blood into the box and with panic urgency quickly patted down the bears with tissues as she rushed to the stairs and up onto the stage.

Sloan sipped the hot coffee, burning her throat slightly, but she didn't mind. She liked the feeling of it warming her from the inside. She felt sleepy, the caffeine not having kicked in yet, but was snapped back too when she heard the crowd outside getting excited, the parade must be finally starting. She slumped out of her seat and shuffled to the door before taking a deep breath. Cold again. At least the crowd was a windblock- sort of?

Her nose quickly started to freeze again, so she made sure to let the steam from the coffee heat it up, wrapping her hands around the cup tightly for the same reason. First the police went by, then the fun started. There were all kinds of intricate costumes and floats, and the music all sort of mashed together as the scenes passed one by one. Some of them threw out candy and other stuff to the crowd, Sloan made sure to grab some of that candy before the kids could- they didn't need to be eating that crap anyway. She was practically doing them a favor.

It felt a little strange though, being so close to the little buggers, they seemed so energetic, happy. She let out a puff of air. Too energetic and happy. She wasn't exactly a fan of kids, and quite enjoyed the solitude her dingy apartment provided. Until this was over though, best try to not step on the tiny things. She had to admit however, it was sort of enjoyable, and she found herself glad she decided to stay.

While the free stuff was nice, she did notice some of the stuffed bears being thrown out had some weird stains on them. She avoided these with disgust, eyeballing a child as he picked it up and cuddled it enthusiastically. Ew. Even worse, a couple on the parade folks looked sick, what was the deal with this? Once again though, best to push these thoughts from mind and just enjoy what you can.

Minnie

As music began to fill the air, Minnie knew they were getting close...
"C'mon!" She egged her sister on, picking up the pace. She didn't want to miss any of it! As they rounded emerged from a side-road, the lights came into view. Minnie's eyes lit up, ready to sprint into the crowds, but Haewon grabbed her hand.
"Stay close, yeah?" She told her. It was busy, there were kids everywhere and, despite the Christmas lights, it was still pretty dark. Losing her little sister had to be her worst nightmare.

The two slipped through the crowds to get a better view, eventually squeezing themselves against the barrier stopping spectators from spilling onto the road. Minnie bounced on the balls of her feet, partially out of excitement, partially to keep herself warm. Haewon rested her hands on her shoulders, a rare smile on her face as she watched the parade.

As a shower of stuffed toys, she leaned over her little sister, snatching one from the air before it could land in a puddle of melted snow. As she went to pass it to Minnie, a red stain came into view. She cringed.
"Gross... you don't want that one," She murmured, letting it drop into the snow. She'd have to find a stall or something that sold them... but Minnie didn't seem to mind, she was much too engrossed in the impressive costumes and various characters waving into the crowd... Santas, snow queens, snowmen, the usual. She waved back with a grin. Santa wasn't real, her mother had made sure she knew that before she had the chance to write a letter to him... but it was still nice to imagine.

James​

He let out an Indulgent sigh as the girls seemed to be enjoying themselves and he and Sarah seemed to have a mutual 'Try not to talk to each other as much as humanly possible' and that was just fine with him; Suddenly his attention his caught by Annette pointing at one of the floats- it was a little more spartan than the last few with several 'Snow-Princesses' dancing on top while throwing some toy bears, one of them however... looked rather sick as she threw one of the bears towards them.

Little Annette had quickly grabbed it and gave it a tight squeeze, he chuckled with adoring smile as he moved up behind them as the float passed by; He patted Annette shoulder with a jovial expression before a loud gasp broke through the crowd as they saw one of the 'Snow-Princesses' suddenly fall backwards as she fainted on the float causing the other 'Princesses' to quickly flock around her.

As the float passed on a small muttering in the crowd started up before the jovial atmosphere came back as the rest of the floats attempted to make up for the small accident.

Up high above, one of the Helicopters broke formation and quickly broke out of eyesight.

Minnie​

Her smile faded as one of the snow queens... collapsed. She frowned, trying to figure out what was wrong.
"Is she okay?" She called out to Haewon over the noise... but they looked just as confused. Concerned her little sister was about to see someone die, she thought of a quick diversion.

"She probably just got too hot in her costume," They assured her, ushering her away from the barrier, "You wanna look at the stalls?"
Minnie, adequately soothed by her sister's response, nodded and followed her through the crowd towards the stands at the side of the road.

There were hot drinks, Christmas decorations, roasted chestnuts, gingerbread men... Minnie took the lead, quietly examining each shop as she passed. Behind her, Haewon counted her change. 4 dollars and 57 cents... They had to savor it. There was no way they could both get a hot drink or a biscuit with that kind of money and at the inflated prices found at every Christmas market...

She looked for something they could afford...
"Wait there!" They called out to their sister before disappearing into the crowd. Minnie flinched, looking over her shoulder... Haewon was just gone. She swallowed. She said to wait there, so... she did.

Moments later, Haewon returned, stuffing a handful of coins into her pocket. Her other hand was held behind her back, smiling triumphantly at her little sister. As she stood in front of her, she revealed a little teddy, only about the size of her palm. Minnie's eyes lit up...
"That other one was gross, so... I thought you'd want a clean one," She smiled, handing it over.
Minnie smiled, holding it in both hands and getting a good look... It was a discounted one, the nose sewn on a little wonky, the paw pad on his left foot a different colour to the right... She loved it.
"Thank you!" She grinned, hugging her tightly around the waist.

The Parade​

He smiled as he watched his daughters walk away with Sarah, after a better part of the hour watching floats go by the parade had stalled as they got the next set ready to show and thus several families had chosen to eat out during the break; He shook his head fondly as he moved through the tightly-packed crowds accidentally bumping into two smaller kids intermingled between the groups of people- they had been messing with a rather poorly-made bear.

"Ah sorry kids! I didn't seeya down there." with that he attempted to move back around them and into the crowds back towards Tom's bar.

"Tom- the telephone's not working." Maria said simply as she fiddled with the landline "Again? God I thought they said they fixed those damn lines last week." the older man groused as he wandered back into the front of the bar, through the windows you could see the crowds of people walking by chatting and having fun but Tom found his attention focusing on one gentlemen who didn't look to be doing to good- stumbling through the crowd of people, hell he could almost see his face beneath the hooded jacket he wor-

"Maria?" Tom whispered suddenly looking very shaken, "Get over to Ms. Hannigan's bakery now."

After all... if the Telephone wasn't working in the bar how the hell was he supposed to call the police and tell them there was a gentlemen bleeding from his eyes, walking up the main avenue.

Sloan​

Overall it had been a nice event, the cold weather wasn't horrible when you ignored it, which it was easy to do with the flashing lights and the thrumming music. Feeling the drums reverberate through her body was one of Sloans favorite things about parades.
Although she enjoyed the show, she was feeling quite sapped from all the stimuli- crowds, lights, noises, smells, etc. She was ready to go home and take a good long sleep, preferring to hibernate like a bear through the winter.

She was of course exhausted, until a disgusting sight put her on edge. There were people bleeding from- orifices-?! Anything from eyes, ears, noses, and not the normal nose bleeds or something, this was unnatural. A small spike of adrenaline augmented by her recent caffeine intake woke her up wide as she tried to assess the situation. Get out now, read news later.

She shoved her way through the increasingly astonished crowd, pushing people left and right as she moved in the opposite direction. A sense of urgency and a lingering unease settled like a fine mist over every poor soul in the damned area.

Minnie​

Haewon ushered Minnie to the side of the path, out of the way of the strange man almost bumping into them. He didn't look that strange. He seemed polite, at least. Whatever, his personality didn't exactly matter to Haewon.

"It's not that big a deal," She smiled, patting her little sister on the head as she squeezed her stomach... but a cheap teddy meant more to Minnie than a million pricey teddies thrown from a parade float, because this one came from her big sister.

Haewon stumbled forward as someone slammed into her shoulder, running past them. God, nobody in this crowd was looking where they were going!
"Watch it!" She growled... but as she watched them flee, another brushed past her, then another, then another. Panicked yelps and screams erupted from the crowd behind her. She felt the colour drain from her face. If they were running, there had to be something they were running from.

"Go, go!" She told her sister, grabbing her hand and dragging her through the crowds. With all those after school sports clubs they'd been attending, they were fast, faster than most of the adults surrounding them... but the crowds were getting denser, crushing against the temporary barriers until they clattered to the concrete. People were climbing over them, getting their feet tangled in the rungs and tripping themselves.

As a man fell in front of Minnie, her foot caught on his calf, sending her tumbling to the ground. She covered her head with her hands as body after body rushed over her. She felt feet step on her legs, her back, her chest, her head. She curled up tight. Each time she tried to stand, another foot trod her into the ground. She squeezed her teddy to her head. It was loud, her head was pounding, her face was wet, the snow beneath her cheek looked... red. She couldn't get up. Her only option was the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back