• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern The House on the Hill

asocial youth

ひきこもり

embed.php

tumblr_n8ghgxN4PC1tfyseno1_500.gif

Buying off the old mansion in the small town of Starbrook, namely Starbrook Manor, seemed like the perfect solution to the local university. It was their manner of securing accommodation for their ever-expanding number of students from all over the country and, to top it off, the world.

However, what they didn't know, or rather refused to acknowledge, was that the place was already occupied. Well, not by anything
human, but still taken nevertheless...

You see, that ancient structure that looms on top of the hill, overlooking the tiny settlement, is a haunting hotspot, which numerous and various ghosts have transformed into their home. When the renovations began, they were slightly suspicious, yet still not going into full-blown panic mode. However, as new faces start rolling into their supposed "dorm", the spirits are instantaneously alarmed.

This is their safe haven, and some have been floating around the rooms of the manor for centuries. Needless to say, they are not ready to share. They must protect their home, no matter what it takes...

07Woll4PRnWINmn0h6jv_g11.gif

2544912_orig.gif

no slide
THE STORY
As some of you might notice, this is a roleplay heavily inspired by Tim Burton's "Beetlejuice". In order to participate, you don't have to have viewed the film, but I still recommend you watch it because, well... it's a bomb-ass movie, yo!

Anyway, naturally, the story-line for this particular game will differ from the original featured in the film...

+++

In the small American town of Starbrook, there looms a house on top of the hill - Starbrook Manor. It's been there for god knows how long, always looking down at the settlement and its residents, who have rightfully labeled it haunted. Most people consider the stories of supernatural entities lurking through its halls to be urban legends some kids taught up while bored. And yet, everyone native to the area knows better...

There are quite literally 100 ways to die in the vicinity of the mansion - on the way to the house there is a sharp turn. That specific part of the road has taken many victims over the years. The forest engulfing the hillside is so dense and goes on for miles that daredevils deciding to foolishly explore it eventually get lost and are met with their demise. Urbex junkies have ventured into the building itself, only to fall and break their necks once the floor caved in beneath them...

And everyone that passes away near Starbrook Manor is somehow drawn to it. As if it pulls the spirits of the deceased into its grasp, creating a prison for them until the white light claims them one day. Truth be told, it's not that bad of a guard for these ghost, mind you. For centuries now the house has played the role of a safe haven for the entities, somewhere they can spend the wait for their turn on the bus to the afterlife in the company of each other.

It would have remained in its service as a purgatory, if only some very important people had not decided to ruin it all...

There is a sole university in Starbrook, which had been gaining popularity and credit. This all resulted in an influx of new enrollments. More students = more money. Hence, the board of directors had to think fast how to find cheap accommodation.

The mansion on top of the hill seemed like the perfect place. Their decision was made even easier once the only surviving owner offered them an abnormally low price, being overly persistent to sell his heirloom as quickly as possible.

Everything happened very fast after the deal was sealed - renovations began in the summer and were completed as soon as autumn came round. The place was decent enough by then and ready to play the role of a dorm. It was the model building...

Well, except for one thing - whilst on the job, the contractors had witnessed some... disturbing occurrences. Shadows in their peripheral vision, cold spots in certain places, things being moved or even going missing.

The directors overlooked these witness accounts. There is no such thing as ghosts, right? Thus, they never told the students.

And yet, the kids would soon find out for themselves...
THE PLOT
What I am looking to do is a lighthearted comedy/horror roleplay with some dope dedicated roleplayers.

You already know the premise if you have read through the story - some uni students are moved into an old manor that is secretly haunted. The ghosts want to protects their home. Chaos ensues.

Both humans and ghosts are playable characters.

Now, the spirits' jobs is to scare the people shitless and force them to leave. However, no one said they have to be good at it. You see, I wish with all my being for there to be a variety of ghosts - some who are truly frightening, and others, well... not so much. Additionally, not everyone has to participate in the haunting. The story will focus on interactions between personages, so some entities can be benevolent and wish to befriend the students, while others can simply shy away at first. Some may even be in denial of their own death! I am giving immense creative freedom to the participants on this one.

The same goes for the human characters - the way they behave towards the ghosts is the decision of their creator. Are they scared, amused, unimpressed, etc?

It is exactly through communication that the plot will be moved forward - will the two parties be able to coexist?
THE SPECIFICS
  • For now I will be accepting 4 human and 4 ghost characters (and will be making one of each type myself). As soon as this minimum is met, I will be accepting all that meet some requirements that will be listed in the official thread, so the number of participants and characters is virtually unlimited~ Additionally, there is no specified number of personages per roleplayer.
  • Take heed of the fact that this will be a casual roleplay - I expect at least two paragraphs per post, with one being the minimum in cases where writing more is truly impossible
  • Despite leaning more towards the comedic side of things, the roleplay will still touch on some unnerving subjects centered around death. You have been warned.

2544912_orig.gif

6-beetlejuice-quotes.jpg

I'm really interested in this! I've been looking for a serious roleplay for awhile, and this Beetlejuice thing I really dig, plus the uni vibe.. If you need members, count me in

ailurophile said:
so interested in this! having ideas for a somewhat vain, frivolous ghost who is totally in denial about her death. c;
Oh my gosh, will you believe me if I told you one of my charas is almost exactly like that as well? Well, with the difference that he is male and a dandy at that... I suppose great mind think alike! Also, thank you for showing interest in the RP~

I think I'm going to make a very casual and chill ghost who wants to befriend the students but also likes to mess with some, and if we're allowed to make more than one charrie I'll probably have a uni student who doesn't want to believe the ghosts are real and is a realist who refuses to believe in supernatural stuff

ailurophile said:
@asocial youth that's crazy. :0
i hope you won't mind me submitting her anyway! c:

take me when the thread is up, maybe? thank you!
Of course I don't mind~ It would be super interesting to see two people's take on the same shtick, so I am looking forward to it, actually.

[QUOTE="thea cat]I think I'm going to make a very casual and chill ghost who wants to befriend the students but also likes to mess with some, and if we're allowed to make more than one charrie I'll probably have a uni student who doesn't want to believe the ghosts are real and is a realist who refuses to believe in supernatural stuff

[/QUOTE]
I like both those characters already! And yeah, there is no limit of personages per roleplayer so feel free to create as many as you can handle~

Speaking of the actual character creation, I will have the official thread up later today and will link y'all. Also, thank you everybody for expressing interest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back