• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Gilded Age

"At the factory owned by Marius," said Grace, not realizing that she had called him by his first name. Her cheeks heated up slightly when she realized.

"Do you know his father owns it, really? He's being made to take it over. He wanted to be a politician before hand," Naomi said. "His father wanted one of his sons to take it over, but his older brother brushed it off for writing instead."

Grace looked at Naomi, at a loss for words. Grace felt a bit bad for Marius, having to give up what he wanted to do for a living to run a factory.

"He hates it," Naomi continued, missing Grace's look. "Loathes it. Poor boy, he wanted to go out and free the people trapped in that disastrous job and now he has to deal with being the person that keeps them caged up daily."

She tutted.

"I told him," she said, waggling a finger, "if he really wanted to, he could sell it off. Mr. Tindall said he wouldn't, that he'd see that his factory was the best around if it meant making the people in there happy. He's a nice man, wouldn't you think?"

"He's terribly nice," said Grace. "The nicest man I have ever met. He had me and my sister over for dinner last night. It was the best meal either of us have ever eaten. I don't think I'll ever be able to repay him."

Naomi chuckled. "He tends to do that. Shower people, I mean, and never really expect anything in return. If I could attribute three miracles to him, I'd nominate him for sainthood."

Her smile wavered slightly.

"He does, however, seem to try and see the best in any and all people. I'm sorry to say that some have taken advantage of it before."

"Who would take advantage of him?" Grace asked. Grace was very similar and always tried to see the best in others. Though she didn't have much and no one had ever really tried to get anything from her.

Naomi shrugged. "Women, men, anyone who wanted a bit of money. Some thought he was fun to play with, because he was so giving and willing to aid others. They told him grand stories of hardship and he donated to their causes. They told him of laws they planned to instate and he gave them his support. Then they'd turn on him, when he asked for how far they had gone and if they would support him."

She paused.

"I suppose that's why he doesn't pursue anyone these days."

Naomi snorted, her eyes dark. "Clearly, you have not been out in the world for long or you are like him. He's become... wiser, I suppose. Less trusting. It is a sad development but one that he has grown in the face of business."

"That's awful," said Grace. Grace knew that people could be cruel, but she had only seen mean people, never people who pretended to be nice as a facade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naomi nodded solemnly. "Some say that the devil lives among us," she said grimly, collecting their bowls. "I believe that the devil hides among us."

She sighed as she gathered up the things.

"Well, I hope you are truly kindly, Ms. Harris. It will be a shame if I have to chase you out with a broom."

She left the room at that.

Grace nodded. She knew it wouldn't take much to leave. She would leave now, if she could. While the room was beautiful, she knew that this was not the kind of room for her. She was well aware of her place in society, and it was not in a place like this.

The next few hours passed peacefully, with Naomi scrubbing down the various surfaces in the home. There was the sound of the door opening and shutting and the voice of a young woman, probably around Grace's age emitting from downstairs.

The two women downstairs began talking. A few words traveled up towards Grace, specifically about someone named July and something about marriage and money and dresses.

Grace heard what they were talking about and was very confused. She though Marius said that he lived alone. She didn't know who these people were but they made her curious.

The chatting went on for a while. The tone was originally happy but eventually dissolved into something closer to grief and distress. Then, a second voice joined the fray, a deeper voice, one that could be masculine. They were also mentioning something about a wedding and money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back