• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Gilded Age

Grace slowly nodded. She didn't want to admit it, she hated doing admitting it. She felt like she was complaining about her job. She ad no right to. It paid for her food and home. But, she felt that someone should know.

Marius pursued his lips in thought.

"Is his behavior normal among the foremen, or would you call him different in his treatment of those working under him?"

"This poor little girl got her finger stuck in a machine today," said Grace. "He was scolding her harshly. But I feel like he's always had a particular dislike for me."

Marius paused again in his writing and set the pad down, leaning forward and clasping his hands together.

"You do not need to tell me if you wish," he said quietly, "but do you happen to remember how it happened?"

"There was a young boy who got his finger stuck in a machine," said Grace. "I heard someone say that he had hemophilia. He lost more blood than he would have if he did not have it."

Marius stared for a second before leaning back and writing again.

"I assume there are many children employed there," he said, "more than there should be."

Marius nodded his head in understanding. "It is only natural to want to ensure the livelihood of one's family. Tell me, what is the pay like?"

Marius frowned again. "And how many hours do you work?" he asked.

That didn't seem nearly enough.

"How much is the rent in your apartment per month, then?"

"Eight to seven every day?" Marus asked.

She would have to work about 2 hours every day to barely get by with the rent. Throw in food and other items like clothing and the hours would begin stacking up. If she had to work 5 days every week, that would make it about two and a half hours every day she worked.

"Yes," said Grace. "I know it doesn't seem like much, but Ada has been known to get sick and medicine does cost a bit much."

Marius nodded. "That must be very hard for you," he said quietly.

Just then, the cook came in. "The food is ready," she said.

Marius stood up. "Thank you," he said, smiling at her. "Come," he said to Grace and Ada, "Let us eat."

Grace stood up and grabbed Ada's hand. "Thank you, sir," said Grace. "This is truly, very kind of you."

Last edited by a moderator:
Marius smiled softly. "All hosts must be welcoming and kind to their visitors," Marius said, leading them to the dining room.

There was a simple oak table in the middle with no ornate patterns on it. There were seats around it for about five people, though there were only three present. On the table, however, were piles of food sitting on pale china platters with blue designs around the rim of flowers and filigree patterns.

The food was simple by Marius' standards, though he could imagine that this was a feast for both Grace and Ada. There were various sweetbreads and parts of a roasted pig along with corn and green beans as well as mashed potatoes. There was a bowl of rich soup in the middle and there were various other dishes scattered about that let off a delicious smell.

"Please" Marius said, motioning for them to sit, "help yourself."

Grace gasped and Ada rushed to the table and began digging in.

"Ada!" Grace gasped. She was not surprised at Ada's behavior, but she was shocked at how shocked she was. "It's not polite to do that."

Grace turned to Marius. "I'm so sorry, sir."

Marius laughed easily and shook his head. "There is no need to be sorry," he said, smiling easily. "I'm sure the cook is very flattered that you are enjoying it so much."

The cook smiled at Ada as well before sweeping back into the kitchen.

"Please do not feel sorry for enjoying the food. Everyone ought to."

Grace gave Marius a smile and went to sit down. She began eating and was shocked at how good the food tasted. She had never had anything so good to eat in her life.

Marius smiled in return and sat down across from Grace, taking pieces of bread and meat as he pleased, eating them slowly as he watched the sisters.

He could not imagine a life without anything at all besides clothes and the hands he had. He had always been privileged and he had never thought hard about it until now, realizing that he had had it easy. He still had it easy and he had an advantage over most; he would inherit a job without working for it very hard, he would be wealthy, he would be educated...

Grace began eating the soup. Soup was the only thing Ada really knew how to cook, so her and Ada ate it almost every night. This soup was so much better than Grace's. She had never had a meal so good before.

Clearly Ada was enjoying the food, as she was practically shoveling it down her throat. Grace gave Ada a look and Grace slowed down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back