The Fandom-verse: AU vs CU!

Atom

Suffers from Selective Memory
Alternate Universe [AU]

VS.

Canon Universe [CU]

Now, the following discussion will be mostly a swapping of opinions regarding the above topic. As of such there should be no form of opinion bashing in any way. If you dislike someone's opinion or if you dislike one of the above sides entirely then it's quite simple to disagree and say why without resorting to any form of, "I'm right and you're wrong." or "Your opinion is wrong and sucks".

With that little rule laid out let us get on to the discussion!

Atom here! The fandom moderator on the site bringing you..*GASP*! A discussion about fandoms! Who woulda guessed that?! :o

Haha, anyways a recent topic I was discussing with someone regarding AU fandoms brought to my mind a question. That question being what those on RPN thought of AU and CU fandom RPs. I'm simpply curious on your opinions on the two, why you think this, maybe your expierences with the two types, and maybe some advice on how to do either of the two forms of fandom RPing!

This is, in general, a wide open discussion on AU vs CU and not held specifically to my above questions either, as they are simply examples. The only thing I ask is that you stay on topic and follow my above little golden rule! As well as maybe be a bit open minded regarding your own opinion!

Discuss!

You're not allowed to post about fandom things! Unacceptable.

Anyway, just my two cents here. I've never liked CU, mostly because of all the fandoms RPes I've been in [*GASP!* Yes I used to do a lot of fandom RPes, which is a big reason I don't do them anymore.] no one can ever seem to play the characters right. I know, I know, that's all opinion based, but I just feel like I'm reading bad fanfiction every time. It really takes me out of the experience, personally speaking.

I'm sure some people out there can play cannon characters decently, but I've never experienced it. As well as myself, I know full well that I can never pull off a good cannon character. It could be my lack of writing skills, or just my general anxiety and want to pull it off perfectly. I'm unsure. It affects me all the same.

Now AU isn't perfect either, just generally speaking I end up having better experiences with it.

Dagfinn said:
You're not allowed to post about fandom things! Unacceptable.
Anyway, just my two cents here. I've never liked CU, mostly because of all the fandoms RPes I've been in [*GASP!* Yes I used to do a lot of fandom RPes, which is a big reason I don't do them anymore.] no one can ever seem to play the characters right. I know, I know, that's all opinion based, but I just feel like I'm reading bad fanfiction every time. It really takes me out of the experience, personally speaking.

I'm sure some people out there can play cannon characters decently, but I've never experienced it. As well as myself, I know full well that I can never pull off a good cannon character. It could be my lack of writing skills, or just my general anxiety and want to pull it off perfectly. I'm unsure. It affects me all the same.

Now AU isn't perfect either, just generally speaking I end up having better experiences with it.
I agree completely with this. I've never had a good experience with canon material in fandom RPs and that had admittedly turned me off of fandom material.

But of course there is the good and the bad of everything and I do believe there are people out there that could pull it off.

But I've got no clue in hell where they are xD

I've certainly never came across them sadly.

AU vs. CU? I have had a better experience with AU. It allows both the gm and their players more flexibility, room to play what is established and tinker with new machinations. Not to mention that most writers strive at least for some originality and AU allows that.

However, I have had the fortune to play a CU game that was just absolutely beautiful. Everyone was true to their character and we managed to continue their adventures as if it were a natural lead-on from the initial series (The series being transformers, an odd choice now that I think of it). Of course my opinion is skewed because I enjoyed the experience, true enough I could simply be biased to that rp. It is regrettable but enjoyable rp's in CU's are few and far between but they are not altogether extinct. When you get a CU you right (by that I mean right by you and your rpers).

I love both, but typically if I'm interested in signing up for a fandom I want to play, and RP with, canon characters. And I'm very comfortable writing those characters. Generally speaking, if I'm bored or uninspired with a player attempting to write a known character, then I'll be uninterested in any original character they try and showcase.

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally go for AU between the two, but to a certain degree, I feel like it depends on the genre. I've had my fair share of time roleplaying in Teen Titan roleplays, and for whatever reason, I only really like using canon characters Robin in that scenario. I've never really thought about it too much before, but I think there might be a couple of reasons for that.

For one, DC and Marvel tend to just be set in a modern setting. If you're going to change things up, to me it feels like you might as well just make a more original superpower roleplay. Then mixing OCs in with where canon characters exist... it's just like you're awkwardly that person that's trying to fit in but it doesn't really work. That's not to say that it can't be pulled off well. It's just that I've very rarely seen it happen, and more often than not you're getting too caught up in relationships with your OC and canon characters (something I've come to find rather cringe worthy) or you're going to end up playing like... a sixth wheel. lol

The other thing is that my access to comic books is rather limited. I'm just a step away from Mr. Krabs when it comes to penny pinching, and comic books get real expensive real fast. Not to mention there's soooo many different comics in existence and sooooo many different versions of the same character between different authors (subtle, but enough to be noticed). So it could be that it's my own way of experiencing the character... ehehe... without having to spend any money.

Stepping away from that for a little while, there's Pokemon. I think it takes an incredible amount of effort to come up with something totally original, potentially even an artist willing to put in the time to come up with new Pokemon. Needless to say, I tend to stick to the regions that have already been made and their Pokemon. I'll happily just upgrade the roleplay's lore alongside whatever the franchise dishes out. The other thing is that Pokemon feels like such a spacious world to be set in. Even if you do allow canon characters to exist, they're just... so easy to ignore, which is quite a beautiful thing. In the past, I've allowed a few people to throw in some canon characters in with my OCs, even tried a couple of canon characters myself, but I think from now on I maybe just want to have their debuts brief (gym leaders) and that's it. The Elder Scrolls is another fandom that could probably function this way.

The funny thing is, where I roleplayed before here, people roleplaying canon characters could be... hilariously elitist. Even though I've had some really amazing canon roleplays in the past, I think it's silly to feel any sense of superiority for using characters that aren't truly your own. Thankfully, I've never seen people adopting that attitude here. In fact, I feel like a solid 90% of the roleplays here are AU, and most people wanting to use canon characters are in the one on one section. The one group canon roleplay I tried to start here was a total flop and never even started.

I don't know if I have any particular advice for AU roleplays. I think it might depend on the fandom, but for the most part, I think that the flexibility with lore and the setting is something that can be beautiful if you really milk it out. I guess this applies to AU as well, but I think one of most important things about roleplay CU is that you know your shit. I'm incredibly picky when it comes to people trying to use canon characters, because I've experienced people just taking a character they love and just romanticizing the hell out of them (which I'm guilty of doing when I first started roleplaying, sadly). I feel like having a really deep understanding of the character, knowing how they act outwardly is important, then you can make inferences on what's going on in their mind from there.

Uh... this turned out to mostly be a rant of OCs versus canon characters. I hope that's alright haha. x___x

I'd prefer CU.

A lot of people seem to steer away from it, as, yeah, you're probably not going to be able to play the canon characters correctly, yeah, they're probably not going to feel the same as the do in source material, and, yeah, it can really contribute to degrading the experience of the RP.

The use of cannon a character that the author of the series is only ever going to be the one to pull off, and the AU solves misplaying them by erasing them entirely, but, like, that seems a bit drastic to me. It's like, you're taking a huge portion of an authors work, throwing it in the dustbin, and the filling in the spaces where it left off. I'm of the opinion that, a majority of the time, a fandom RP should add to the existing material, not attempt to replace it. Because, imo, only like one in ten series ever really warrant the creation of an AU. Series tend to provide roleplayers with huge venues to place themselves. Academy City is a huge place. The Oceans of One Piece are endless and vast. Despite the name of the show, a world does exist outside of Tokyo, in Tokyo Ghoul. And there's a whole world behind the adventures of the Jojo lineage. And in all of those places, there a situations both niche and open ended that you can put your characters into.

And in all of those, you can put you, and your players into situations where the canon character's don't need to appear. But, at the same time, you keep their presence. You can take their deeds, you can take the events of the source material, and everything else about the series and weave it into your work. There's a whole plethora of STUFF to work into your characters in canon universe you can use, all of those things that I just mentioned can be used as motivation and inspiration. Your character could be that guy in the crowd who watched the protagonist kick a bunch of ass, and be inspired by it. The plot of your RP could be something kicked off by the events of the series. Like, all we ever see is how the actions of the bad guys effect the cast of the show, what about every else? What do the guys in charge do in response to the bad guys blowing up half the city? What do other bad guys do in response to what the big bads are up to? Maybe they take advantage of the chaos to set their own plans in motion? And, the good guy, busy fighting off the big bad never notices those little fish.

There! You're in universe, you don't need to have people misplaying the original cast, and you have a ton of freedom! You've got all the things people make AUs for, and you keep all that nice, juicy material in the canon series to boot!

alsoit'sreallylateandiunnoifiexplainedmystandpointproperlybutheywhatever

Pine said:
For one, DC and Marvel tend to just be set in a modern setting. If you're going to change things up, to me it feels like you might as well just make a more original superpower roleplay.
One of the RPs that I'm brewing atm is an alternate time and setting DC Universe. (^.^) But I'm excited about it, because I love playing and putting my own spin on those established characters.

Bone2pick said:
One of the RPs that I'm brewing atm is an alternate time and setting DC Universe. (^.^) But I'm excited about it, because I love playing and putting my own spin on those established characters.

Then again
anything can be pulled off if pulled off well. xD I feel like I focused too much on OCs versus canon characters in my post rather than the setting itself because I tend to neglect settings/plots in favor of developed characters. I think @The One Eyed Bandit brings up some really good points, some of which have been things I've done in the past and other things I've been close to wanting to try (the Tokyo Ghoul example, mainly). I kind of forgot that once upon a time I did a couple of post-apocalypse/futuristic roleplays with Teen Titans that I loved. I guess I forgot because I wasn't the person that came up with the plot... but man, that person was so incredible with coming up with plots. * u *

Needless to say, that sounds like it could really be fun. I was thinking a little narrowly in terms of AU because I only just started speculating on why I always use canon characters for that, like, ten minutes before I posted. So... I think I was actually talking more like a DC AU with OCs. I can't think of a situation right now where it wouldn't be better off with just being a supes roleplay.

@Pine What I have in mind is a DC/fantasy hybrid AU. Canon characters will exist—they'll be the rock stars of the setting—but they'll be tweaked pretty hard. For instance the Green Lantern Corps will function more like a wizard order than a cosmic police force.

I plan on building this up in the RP Planning section to show the pace and method of my world building process. I'll be sure to notify you when I do, and maybe you could share your thoughts on it.

Mmmmf shit I forgot an alert.

Very good points though @Bandit. CU DOESN'T always have to include canon characters. I hadn't really thought of it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back