• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Faders

Jem13

Jem13 submitted a new role play:

The Faders - The world is divided between those who have detrimental superpowers, Faders, and those who don't.

It was inevitable. With the rate at which technology was advancing, combined with the rate at which the desire for perfection was increasing, physical engineering in the form of alterations could not be prevented. Now that time has come. A time where genetic manipulation is not only a common everyday occurrence, but a worldwide hobby.

The world has changed. Everything is perfect. Everyone is perfect. Fed, wealthy, healthy, and well educated, but most importantly, everyone is...

Read more about this role play... 
Available Positions:

4 Pristine

4 Faders

Post your character sign up and I'll let you know if you're accepted! :)

Cinder watched as the flames danced before her, painting the forest in hues of orange, red, and eventually grey. Despite the fact that the city had provided them with everything that they ever needed, Jedd had still made an effort to master basic survival skills. She had always bugged him about it, claiming it was an unnecessary waste of time, that they were useless skills to have. Now, sitting here before the crackling fire that he’d built from nothing, she was thankful for his stubbornness. Even though the flames lapped at the chilled night air, Cinder pulled the sleeves of her sweater down past her wrists against the insistent cold. Four days. Four days her and her brother had been out here in these woods. She didn’t like to think about how she had gotten here… her mind always stumbled and stuttered when it recounted how the men had shown up at her door. Her fathers men. She could remember the shock and then the pain, not from their iron grips on her wrists, or from being shoved into the backseat of that unfamiliar black vehicle, but from recognizing them as men that had worked for her father since she was a child. They had even been at her fifth birthday party, pink unicorn cake and all. Yes, her mind would skip over this part, covering it in a black cloud, until it got to the part where Jedd had emerged from the trees - just when it felt like this unfamiliar and foreboding forest were closing in on her.

Now, they were here. Not alone, but alone. She didn’t have a plan, not even the slightest idea or notion of what they were going to do. No, she was simply frozen. She was stuck, paralyzed by everything that had happened. She couldn’t adjust to her new reality. Nothing felt real. But it was, she knew that. She just couldn’t feel it. Jedd had a plan though, of that she was certain. He always had a plan – that damn brain of his never shut off. While she was still trying to comprehend all that had happened yesterday, he was busy planning for tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jedd knew that his sister was hungry. He was too, but that didn’t matter. Cinder was hungry, she just wasn’t admitting it. Anger pulsed through his veins as he snapped a gnarly stick in half, making fuel for the fire. He was angry at everything, at this whole damn situation, but mostly, he was angry at his father. He was the reason they were here, not those maniacal screw ups in the lab. He was the reason why they were alone in the woods without shelter, food, or water. But it was okay, he was going to fix everything that his father had destroyed, just like he always did.

He and his younger sister hadn’t managed to scavenge much out here – they weren’t use to this lifestyle. With the help of a trap he’d constructed, Jedd had managed to snag a rabbit one night. He caught a squirrel another, and found a handful of berries the next, but if he couldn’t come up with something quick, he’d have to enter the city to gather some real supplies and sustenance. But that meant risking being seen by someone who knew his father. And a lot of people knew his father. It would have to be worth the risk.

It was so quiet out here – empty and dark. And yet, the purple, hazy hue of Skylarka hung over the tree line, outshining the many stars hiding in the night sky. Every now and then, Jedd would catch the ghost of a laugh. Or maybe that was just the wind.

He wasn’t planning on staying here much longer. He would gather what supplies he could, and then they were moving on. Because if there was a cure, it wasn’t in Skylarka – his father would have had it in his greedy hands by now. Whatever those idiot scientists had done, could be undone. Jedd knew that there was a cure out there, and he was going to get it for Cinder. He was. He just needed to figure out where to start looking.

Aisling rubbed her eyes closing them for a second and only a second, she hadn’t slept much and her body clearly wanted to protest but she opened her eyes again and continued the search. three hours of sleep was enough to go on for now it had to be. Taking a swig from her coffee cup, Ash allowed herself the small comfort of a warm drink running through her body and pooling in her tummy. There weren’t many leads, at least not with what she was looking for. People weren’t just going to talk about this, most would hide the fact that their child or themselves had become one of the so called unwanted. Yet Ash looked, checking medical records and called in a few favors here and there, she knew about technology but not well enough to hack into a database, no thats what her hard earned cash was for. Letting out a loud sigh she ran deft fingers through her fiery locks, untangling a few knots before peering out her window. Finding them, theses faders wasn't going to be a walk in the park, it was a game of finding a needle in a stack of needles. There where too many people who went in for alterations on a daily basis, too many who had some sort of complication that ended up being minor and no solid records of who where the (un)lucky to get their hands on serum lux. No way to make a list of who ran a risk and who already had it without giving herself a major migraine “ ha, talk about shady...” She said to herself with a wry smile.

From the corner of her eyes she registered movement at the entrance of the small unassuming looking coffee shop; her eyes immediately snapped onto the tall and lanky figure. He glanced around before his brown eyes met unwavering amethyst. Ash signaled him over with one glance. ‘Speaking of shady’ she mused as the man walked over to her, took the seat across from the young women and pulled a small envelope from the inside of his coat jacket. “ You’re doctor Fairchild?” his voice was rough, and most of anxious. Ash watched him fidget for a second or two; clearing her throat she spoke. “ Yes well I know…i’m young. Not exactly what you expected but, I assure you that I am.” She gave him a wide disarming smile. Using her real name was definitely a risk especially if this guy blabbed but, then again what was one overachieving researcher in the grand scheme of things. It was at least some leverage, people know of her father; or at least his name seeing as the homily doctor spent more time in the clinic then out and about. “ Look, sir..Ron was it, could I?” Her eyes moved from him to the package. She was slightly impatient something that was odd for the normally calm redhead but, too many nights spent searching for a clue for something that wasn’t a bogus conspiracy theory can get under anyone’s skin. God she had hopped this guy didn’t lead her to another dead end. He at least seemed legit from their short chat online. Slipping him an envelop of her own filled with a good chunk of her last pay check the man, Ron snached it up lightning fast before pushing his own forward. “ there not much, mostly speculations..look i’m a journalist I have a few officer friends but, I couldn’t pull any miracles. All I can tell you is that theres been a lot of small fires sighted just outside of the city. If you ask me thats pretty sketchy..you know you could tell me more about who you’re looking for. This whole, ‘you’ll know when you see them’ crap isn’t exactly working for me.” Ash half listened to the man as she read his report, he clearly wanted to see if whatever he handed over was worth a story. “ Look Ron, theres nothing to worry about just a check of how some patient populations are doing, there are pathogens, strains resistant to antibiotics popping up over seas i’m just trying to make sure nothing like that happens in out city.” It wasn’t a complete lie infections where becoming more common and all the drugs that where pumped into humans no a days where doing little to help the immune system and more to strength the viruses. It wasn’t what she was interested in but, she had to tell the man something. “ why all the hush hush then?” “ I don’t want anyone to panic hence all the secrecy. We’re a major hub people come in and out too much for us not to worry. Plus I want to keep the glory all to my self obviously, observing leads to curing, curing leads to money.” She gave him a saccharine smile and spoke in the same self entitled voice most physicians she worked with used. Doctors were know for having a god complex; one she planned on using on Ron. Ron looked abashed, narrowed eyes and a grumble or two where tall tale signs that Ash wasn’t going to be counted as his friend any time soon. ‘good’ she thought.

Throwing down a few bills enough to cover the cost of her coffee Ash thanked the man in front of her before stuffing the large envelope into her bag. “ have a good night now, oh and Ron..if you do see anything don’t approach them, the strains that have been popping up are highly contagious and the death toll is going up every day. I would hate to see you in one of our morgues. “ She stated matter-of-factly as she moved to exit the cafe. A stiff nod and no further acknowledgment later marked Ash’s departure from her seedy companion. The last thing those people needed was some sleaze bag looking for a little extra money stalking them. Clutching her purse close to her body Ash tried her best not to smile, creep or not Ron was good at what he did..he was his first slightly solid lead. Picking up the Pace Ash nearly ran home, running through what he had said over and over again. “ Looks like I’m going hiking.” She mused out loud as she hopped onto a train. The city zoomed by her and like always the small redhead was unperturbed by the odd looks she got every now and then due to her wistful expression. Things where looking up.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE WILLING TO DISGRACE OUR FAMILY LIKE THIS! HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THIS WOULD DO TO US? TO YOUR BROTHER? HAVE YOU, ARYA?" Arya winced. She had not been called Arya since she was 6 years old, not even byher family. No, it had been all Artemis all the time, which is what made 'Arya' such a slap in the face. She wants to stand up and shout back, say that the Faders were people too, and they deserved everything that they have and more. But no. This was important. She would have to be an adult about this.

"I understand your feelings, father. But I believe that the faders have the right to a home, and food, and safety. Just like we do. Your own mother is a fader! It astounds me that you could have so little love for the woman who gave birth to you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to pack."

Arya was not entirely sure what to pack. She had two changes of clothing, enough food to last a week or so, and a lot of empty space. Should she buy a tent? Was there a place in the city where she COULD buy a tent? She supposed she would have to fin dout.

•×•

Aron sighs. He was having the greatest moment of indescison in his life. He hated everything Artemis stood for. Everything. But he can't let her go alone. His fsther was looking at him impatiently, and he knows that he will never again be welcome in this household should he grab a bag and start packing. "I- I'm sorry Dad. I'll pull her straight. She'll hate it out there."

Dad yells after him, the use of his real name hitting him like a ton of bricks. "You are so f**king lucky that I love you!" He says angrily, pushing his sister.

"Whatever. Let's just go."

Reason sat in front of her vanity mirror staring at her reflection. This was nothing to knew, being as vain as she was most of the time she was staring at herself in the mirror. It was hard not to keep her eyes off her reflection, whenever she caught it she had to look. Mirrors, windows, didn’t matter where the reflection was she would check. Reason had to be perfect, no hair could be out of place and no clothes with a wrinkle, maybe it wasn’t all vanity for checking her reflection but the need to be perfect, but she checked her looks over religiously. Right now she was brushing her hair out with a gold plaited brush, a humming a small tune as she made her hair shimmer.

She loved her hair, loved how the alternations turned out. Her hair was naturally black but she got highlights of blue, purple and green but she made it more she made the highlights shift and move so they were ever changing. Her alterations didn’t stop there, oh no, Reason had to stand out. She had many alterations done to her, some with more than the simple reason of looking pretty. However her favorite was by far the beautiful wings that spread out from her back in shades of blue, green and purple to match her hair. They spread out from her spine and had the ability to lay flat along her back if she wanted. They were connected to her and though they couldn’t take her in flight she had the ability to control them and make them flat when she wanted to. Reason didn’t stop there, her wings where her pride and joy and she wanted to show them off. She was the first person to get the wings as alternations and everyone copied her so she did more, she had little silver bells that look like pearls attached to the top of the wings so that she would always chime like a bell, just like her nickname. Reason hated her name so she always went by Bell and if anyone called her otherwise all hell would break lose.

Finished brushing her hair Reason got up and batted her eyes at her reflection. She looked fabulous like always. Her makeup was perfect, her hair was perfect now she just needed the perfect outfit. Going to the room that was attached to hers and made into a closet she smiled at her lovely collection of clothes. She had everything and some things still had the price tag on them, just so no one else could own that outfit. Reason always had the best of everything; you should see her car collection. Having so much money from her parents and no responsibilities or bills she shopped to pass the time. Finding the perfect outfit she quickly got dressed and accessorized herself to perfection. She was ready for the day and it only took her 2 hours to get ready, a record time!!

Quickly descending the stairs of her mansion and making her way to her garage she picked out red farraie and zoomed away from her lonely house. She was to go to the edge of the city today with supplies for the faders, something her parents suggested to combat the recent bad press of her getting pissed ass drunk and winding up in the tabloids. This way she would get a lot more press and it would make her look perfect again. Perfect, perfect, perfect. That was her world.

Reaching the outskirts she pulled her car to a stop at the side of the road, camera men already there for her to smile and wave at. Getting out of her car Reason popped her trunk and started to unload the duffle bags full of food and supplies to survive the wilderness. As the cameras flashed and the people pressed closer to shout questions at her she couldn’t help but put on her fake smile and fight the urge to run. She hated the press of people, it made her feel like they were attacking her and she had to resist the urge to lash out at them and fight them back. That wasn’t perfect behaviour though so Reason became Bell, the girl that loved the cameras and loved being the center of attention.

“I’m here to help those that need help, to give back because everyone deserves kindness and shouldn’t be forgotten about and ignored because of a stupid bad luck. Just because they were not strong enough to fight the side effect of the serum doesn’t mean we should cast them away with nothing. We should help them and I’ll be here to help give them supplies” she announced to the reporters. There was another 10 minutes of answering questions before the mass of people left and Reason was able to breath once again. Now she just had to find the Faders and as she made her way into the forest she was regretting her choice of heals and a dress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opal nodded at her reflection. Tonight was the night, she couldn't stay here any longer. Her family refused to see the dark side of the serum and had scolded her for even suggesting that they could become faders. She had been sent to her room that night with no food and a deep resentment for her family. She check her reflection again, everything was looking good, nothing out of the ordinary. She hops up and goes through her bag, clothes, food and water, money, ID, everything was present and she was ready to go. She couldn't stay here and watch her family get torn apart when they became fader, no she was going to find a cure and save herself. She looks out into the hall. Everyone was asleep except for one very speical maid who had promised to get her out out here. She grab her bag and quietly fled her room, never to return again. She finally made it to the maids section and whistled. Opal waited for what felt like an hour when a whistle sounded back. She quickly followed the sound and was lead out the house near the very wooded area close by. She stood there from a moment silently thanking the maid before running off into the night, intent on finding others like her and a cure.

It was decided that Cinder would take the first shift of the night. They didn't know exactly what they were even watching for...but as the forest plummeted into the dark depths of night, it felt like the right thing to do. Besides, they had no idea who else was out here. Faders from all walks of life, and from all corners of the world, had been exiled. Every major city had reacted the same way, kicking the victims of Serum Lux out into the uninhabited and unknown. Jedd and Cinder suspected that they likely weren't the only ones residing in these woods. And everyone knew that each Fader came with their own unique...scar. That, combined with rumors of groups of Faders pillaging the supplies of other groups, meant that they couldn't be too careful. Thus, while Jedd crawled into the meager sleeping bag he had brought, Cinder sat wide eyed before the last, simmering flames of the fire.

Knowing that she wouldn't be able to sleep anyways, Cinder had volunteered to take the first watch. Jedd, on the other hand, was very skilled at taking care of himself, whatever the circumstance may be. That meant that he could sleep, even in the poorest of conditions, if his body needed it. He would sleep now, and then take the late/very early shift a couple hours later.

As she sat there alone in the oppressive silence of the night, Cinder watched the silver markings along her skin illuminate under the light of the moon. They slithered and twirled, dancing along the length of her arms. She use to love the beauty of these markings. During the first week after she had gotten them, she'd stayed up every night just so she could see their midnight waltz. But now, a bitter taste seeped into her throat as she stared down at the elaborate silver adornments. They were a reminder of what she had done to herself, of what these stupid, useless alterations had lead to. It had only been the beginning, and now, now this was her end. She pulled her sleeve back down over the markings.

Looking out into the dark labyrinth of the forest, Cinder's mind began warping the shadows of the trees. With a gentle shudder, she pulled her knees up under her chin, returning her focus to the comforting orange light of the fire.

"Ow!" Apollo says, tripping over yet another branch. Sol flew above him, swooping down every so often. "It's late, Art. Shouldn't we stop?" He has been complaining of the darkness and hisntiredness ever since the sun went down. He is indeed true to his nickname.

"You're such a baby." Artemis says, rolling her eyes. "The moon is barely even up. I'm just getting started." Artemis was also true to her nickname. She was following Lyra, who ran ahead and came back, pointing them towards the Faders. Or so they hoped. Artemis had informed her to be looking for people.

Soon enough, they do come across a fire. "Apollo!" Artemis hisses in a whisper. He sees it too. His face turns from a frown to a full out scowl. He had no desire to interact with fiflth at this time of night, though the fire did look inviting.

The twins make themselves known, finding a girl and a sleeping male form. "Hello." Artemis says with a smile. Sol lands on Lyra's back as the wolf walks up beside her owner.

Startled by the unexpected sound of the girl's voice, Cinder loses her balance on the little log she'd been perched upon. Her arms flail as she attempts to steady herself, one hand nearly landing in the smoldering embers of the fire. Her heart jumps to her throat; her pulse reverberating throughout her body. With huge pupils , Cinder turns around to face the source of the voice. At first she can only stare. Standing before her is a male and female that look to be around her age. Their alterations don't appear to be too drastic, although the fire does bounce off the unnatural colours of their irises. It's the peculiar site of the animals that accompany them that truly catches Cinder.

She begins to speak but her voice comes out squeaky. Sheepishly dropping her gaze, she tries again, "Hello." She can still feel her heart racing in her chest and her breathing is coming a little too quickly. She also realizes, with a disconcerting jolt, that she's completely weaponless.

Two people shambled down a road at the outskirts of a neighborhood. One of them was muttering about sore feet, he and the girl he was walking next to were dressed, as street people often are, in shabby worn clothing. Oddly they were both wearing knit hats and it wasn't even cold outside. Not that anyone passing by would know, but it was to cover up their most recognizable features... Their hair. if anyone looked close enough they would see golden and blue hair peaking out from each of the respective heads they belonged to... Not that anyone payed enough attention to street people to notice. In fact people often averted their eyes from the denizens of the street, just in case they were dangerous Faders.

"Alexei where are you taking us?" Marco finally complained to his companion. He had been complaining all day just mostly to his feet trying not to sound ungrateful to the person who had rescued him from dying alone on the streets. He did have a right to complain though, he was exhausted from wandering the streets all day without explanation. Currently they were in an area with a lot of middle class residents.

"I'm not taking us anywhere." She replied simply.

"Wait. You mean to tell me we have been wandering around all day... Just to wander!?!"he exclaimed outraged, being rich and famous had made him use to a certain lifestyle. And the one he was in now was most certainly not it.

"Marco be quiet!" Alexei whispered at him shaking her head,"do you want to ruin our one chance after watching all day."

Marco huffed looking around, he didn't see anything special about this place. It looked exactly the same as all the other streets they had been down today... Actually, had they been here before? The more Marco looked around the more he recognized. There was that one green lamppost at the end of the street... He remembered going past that five times today. And there, house with the red door, he had passed that at least ten times!

Alexei led them down a small space between two houses fences, clearly these two people had a disagreement about which fence to build which resulted in them building both... How did Marco guess that? He didn't. Earlier today the people were having an argument about the fences being in the way, and whether they were too far into the others property, and being torn down... ect. It was very loud. It was originally enticed because one of them was in the process of leaving for vacation and he was worried for his new fence. Why did Marco remember this? Well, what else was he suppose to do but eavesdrop all day when his companion didn't speak much except for when they were alone?

When they were far enough down and the light from the street no longer touched them Alexei turned and whispered suddenly, "Ok Marco, give me a boost." She pointed to the fence, it was the vacation guys' house. They were at a part of the fence that had a window to the second floor right above it...

"What do you mean give you a boost?" Marco was confused and a little worried...

"Just shut up and lift me over the fence," She scolded him in a whisper.

He did. She scared him sometimes.

Alexei scaled the fence with his help. Then she gripped the brick wall on the other side while crouching precariously at the top of the fence. Carefully she inched her way to standing and could just reach the window. she held on to the frame with one hand and reached into her pocket with the other. She pulled out a black box and stuck it to the window. She waited tensely for a moment then a beep sounded and Marco saw her visibly relax. reaching into her pocket again she replaced the black box and pulled out a wire. Marco couldn't see her do most of this because the wire was so small but when he heard a click Alexei put the wire back in her pocket and opened the window.

"Alexei... What the heck is all this?" He whispered slightly awed and slighly scared at what they were doing.

"Well... what do you think I did for a living before I became an experiment? Pick up men?" She said it lightly so Marco knew she was only joking but... He felt guilty, he thought it was something like that and not... Stealing. Though he was surprised that someone so... nice? it wasn't exactly it but close, and he was surprised she could pull this off. He looked back up to respond but Alexei had already disappeared into the building. So Marco waited tensely for a few minutes. Then just when he was considering climbing in after her she reappeared. She tossed him a bag, he didn't know if it had come from one of her many pockets or if she had picked it up inside. He couldn't help it as soon as he caught the heavy bag he peered inside. Alexei didn't stop him she just darted back in to get more things. Marco was surprised at the contents of the bag, it was not what he was suspecting. He waited for Alexei to return and explain this to him. She popped back out and tossed him two more duplicate bags before he could ask his question and disappeared back inside. He looked in them, all three had different kinds of the same thing... What was she planning? She finally came out for good carrying two blankets, that she tossed down to him, and a bag on her back. She slunk down to the wall then closed the window, finally with his help coming to rest on the ground.

"Yes Marco?" She could tell from his face he had a question.

"Food?" was all he asked pointing to the bags. They were filled with cans and junk-food.

She gave him a look, he expected so little of her. "Marco I don't like stealing," She told him matter-of-factly, "I only ever did it to survive. Yes I got good at it, but I'm not some jewel thief."

"Well if it's to survive why do we need three bags of it?" he asked still confused.

Alexei looked uncomfortable. She had hoped Marco would continue not to ask questions until they were far enough away they couldn't come back... a ridiculous hope, but she didn't have much of it these days. "I want to leave the city."

"What? Leave! Why!?!" Marco exclaimed.

Alexei became alarmed. They had been talking in hushed voices until now She worried that his sudden exclamation would get them caught! Gathering up most of the stuff she whispered sternly, "We will continue this in a much less conspicuous area."

"No! I want to know why you want to take me from my home." He was less loud realizing his outburst might have put them in danger, but he knew leaving would probably mean he would never get a strait answer.

Alexei was uncomfortable again, she couldn't possibly tell him she wanted to leave just so she could find a cure... and it wasn't that she wanted the cure, she liked her new powers... She wanted to get it for him! She hated what her power did to him... she had to save him. She definitely couldn't say that. So instead she said, "This isn't your home anymore! Your family kicked you out just because it would ruin their image. So I think we should leave, try to find somewhere more friendly... maybe even a cure..."

She said that last part very quietly but Marco still heard her. "A cure? Alexei don't you think we would have heard something by now if there was one? Besides we know this city, leaving would mean going somewhere we don't know."

"And where people don't know us." When Alexei said that Marco knew the truth in the statement. They had to wear disguises almost everywhere... People always recognized him and paparazzi still liked to take pictures of "the fallen prince".

"fine." He said giving in easily and gathering up the rest of their stolen gear. He wouldn't admit it but the sound of a cure had pushed him to agree more than he liked.

So the two of them decided to leave the city. They didn't really know where they were going to go but Alexei had heard talk of other Faders heading out through the forest and that was a good a place to start as any if you were looking for a cure.

This was defiantly not Reason’s smartest idea. She should have ignored her mom’s words at trying to make herself look better after her latest scandal. Just let it blow over and focus on the faders but nooo she always had to follow what they say. After all they had the money and Reason couldn’t very well be cut off. What would she do if god forbid she had no more money? She wouldn’t be able to exist, she couldn’t even bear the thoughts of it.

Trekking through the forest now Reason was regretting her choice. In everything. From her outfit to worst coming out in dark. She hated the dark. Hated it since she was a little kid and was kidnapped and trapped in a dark forest that one time. It was the reason she got the alteration to glow in the dark. It wasn’t to stand out like her parents thought, it was so she would not have to sleep with a nightlight and so she wouldn’t have been afraid of the dark ever again for there will never be any more dark. She loved the soft candle light that emitted from her skin and those times when she was afraid would just stare at her arms for hours. The forest was starting to get dark with the looming trees and night rising so her skin started to glow already. Gulping back her fear she restored to staring at the soft glow that emitted around her, careful about where she stepped. She didn’t want to trip anymore then she was.

Her heals where killer, and not in the fashion sense they usually were. They were sinking into the soft ground up to the 6 inch heal sometimes so that it made walking like she was slugging threw mud. She was almost tempted to take them off and walk barefoot but she was afraid of all the gross things she would walk on. Worst then her heals was her dress she was wearing. It was meant for posing in front of cameras, not trekking threw the forest. With night falling it was starting to get cold and her dress offered no warmth. It was sexy but not practical at all. Shivering Reason drew her wings forward to try and wrap around her body and provide some warmth. They didn’t provide much warmth but it was better then what she was at. “Defiantly not worth my time. I should just drop these bags and leave” she grumbled to herself. Reason wasn’t a quitter though and she said she would do this so she was going to.

Grumbling the whole time about how stupid this all was and how stupid she was she kept walking forward. She shouldn’t have waited too long to get ready and leave and ended up being the idiot walking in the forest by herself. She couldn’t help it though, she was a night owl and there was no way she waking up early after a night of partying. Now though she wished she wasn’t a night owl, she didn’t feel like one right now.

After she didn’t know how long she finally spotted a glow of something between the trees that looked like a fire. Quickening her steps she hurried forward, her candle glow and twinkling of her wings preceding her. Breaking threw the line of trees Reason came upon four people and a wolf and bird around the fire. Looking at them Reason quickly dress back her wings from her body and gave her most show stopping smile as she struck a pose. Always one to make an entrance.

“Hello Hello! I know you are probably so excited to see me. I know it is me Bell, here in the forest with you poor folk. I didn’t come to sign autographs though but I came here to help you! I’m so nice aren’t I!? I come brining you goodies. But don’t get close to me. You probably are stinky and dirty and I don’t need your faderness rubbing off me though I doubt I well. Unlike you I took the serum and didn’t have any weakness like you guys! So that’s why I have to help you out, always like to help the weak out!” she announced to them. After her little monologue Reason gave another smile before throwing the duffle bags towards the two couples. She then put her hands on her hips and waited for their applause or gushes of thanks before she would leave.

This is what I was born to do.

Cole's footsteps crunched against the layer of dead leaves on the forest floor as he ran, ran, ran, away from that place.

Its all I know. Its all I am.

He could hear the shouts and yells of the people behind him, stolen backpack full of goods on his back. But he couldn't stop; people depended on him.

Because I am a Fader, and they cannot stop me.

Cole was used to this lifestyle. Always escaping, finding a home in the forest. He had friends in the city--faithful ones, most of whom were distraught when he was exiled and promised to continue helping him. He'd just returned from one of their heists that went spectacularly, and was returning to where he'd set up camp. Wearing the right clothing and staying mostly in the light, he came off as a normal human--sometimes, even a Pristine, what with his looks in human form. No one knew that he picked the pockets of passerby as he casually walked down the street. None of the women who approached him knew that he would stealthily bag the rings on their hands to give to his favorite girls. "Favorite girls" being the younger children of his old orphanage. You see, what Cole does is steal for the benefit of the needy as well as himself. He would give money to the poor, shiny things to his friends at the orphanage, and keep necessary resources for himself. A slow grin spread across his face at the memory of their happiness, and he was filled with momentary euphoria. That was what he lived for.

Once Cole was a fair distance away from those who had been chasing him (he suspected that they stopped, since no one was usually able to follow him this far), he slowed his pace and let out a loud whoop for another successful run. He fixed the backpack on his shoulder, when he heard voices coming from a distance. He stopped abruptly, turning to face the direction of the sounds. "People?" He whispered to himself. The only other faders he knew of were much deeper in, closer to where he'd set up his home. It had become routine for them to share resources, and seeing as he was one of the most significant runners, he was very well acquainted with the others.

He started towards the direction of the voices, crouched forward so that whoever was there couldn't see him. He sneaked up behind a tree and carefully peaked around the trunk, only to find a collection of five people. One of the girls was holding out a bag, not looking at all like she belonged in this setting. Another girl was sitting next to a guy, who was asleep. Another two stood in front of the ensemble, looking as if they were ready to camp. They all looked relatively harmless, and he felt that he could easily overtake the only conscious man awake. Cole decided to wait until he made his appearance known, so he just leaned against the tree, hoping to catch a reason as to why they were here while he eavesdropped.

Artemis smiles, trying to make up for her brother's obvious feelings. "I'm Artemis. This sour-looking dude is my brother, Apollo. " Lyra shakes Sol off and pads up to Cinder, sniffing. Then she moves on to Jedd. Afrer sticking her nose in the guy's hair, she backs up two steps and barks.

"Are both of you Faders?" Apollo asks.

Again, Cinder started as another stranger stumbled into their midst. Having just recovered from her last scare, Cinder regained her composure a little more quickly. She then sat in bewildered silence as the new comer gave her little speech. Once she was finished, Cinder could only stare at the other female with a bemused look on her face. Was this girl serious? Who the heck was she anyways? Apparently someone pretty important, or at least, she apparently thought so. But all of that didn't matter right now. Cinder's focus latched onto the bags that Bell had brought along with her. Yes this absurd stranger had called them stinky and dirty and weak...but food. She had brought food . Maybe she could play nice...at least for a little while... Her stomach growled it's consent.

"Erm...thanks," Cinder flashed Bell a weak smile, "please, have a seat," she motioned towards the half rotten log across from her. She twirled a stray strand of her silvery hair around her anxious finger, eyeing the unopened duffel bag. "So uh...what did you say you were doing here?"

She then looks to Apollo, a little unsure as to how she should respond. She manages a soft, "are you?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jedd stirred. He heard something...was that voices? Suddenly his eyes flew open as he shot up. His hand was reaching for the dagger he had brought with him before he had even untangled himself from his sleeping bag.

"Cinder, what the hell do you think you're doing?" he came to stand behind his sister. He was tall, with broad, square shoulders and the outline of his muscular build could be seen beneath his clothing. With dark eyes he glared at the newcomers, his body rigid and alert.

"Ha! No." Apollo says, a smirk on his face. He shakes his head, a bit disgusted at the thought. Him, a Fader? He would rather die.

Lyra growls at the sight of the dagger. Her hackles raise and she looks back at Artemis for conformation of the danger.

Artemis looks at Bell, bemused. 'People...' Her attention is caught by Jedd standing and Lyra growling. Watching the guy move behind Cinder, she swallows. "Uh... Lyra, no! Heel." The wolf immediately stops growling and goes to stand by Artemis' side.

Cole's eyebrow twitched at the sight of the sleeping guy's blade--er rather, previously sleeping. He knew the moment the guy stood that he'd be a challenge to fight, as they were nearly the same build, but he shook the thought away. He wasn't looking for a fight with these new Faders, but the Pristines, on the other hand, were really starting to grate on his nerves. He'd seen the face and name of the prissy looking girl before; on televisions and magazines displayed in public. She was some wealthy chic with a bad history, and judging by her posture, was here against her will. The male Pristine simply came off as a snob. Still, he didn't want any bloodshed on these grounds. The Faders were getting enough bad press, suspected murder would only make it worse. Sighing dramatically, Cole stepped into view of the group. He put on his most patronizing expression and spoke loud enough for them all to hear. "Now, now, children put the knife away. It's tacky and unnecessary."

Yet again Cinder was caught off guard. This time a little yelp escaped her lips. She quickly covered her mouth with her hand. This was starting to get embarrassing. Jedd, on the other hand, didn't even flinch. He met the most recent newcomer with a cooled gaze. "And why the hell would I do that?" his voice was hostile with a distinct icy undertone.

Cinder shifted uncomfortably, "Jedd," she muttered quietly, "just put it away. They have food." She slapped on another smile, this time aimed at Cole, "Hey, um, are you cold? There's plenty of fire to share," she chuckled nervously. She wasn't sure if any of these strangers knew one another, or if they had all just happened upon the same spot. Perhaps the fire hadn't been their smartest idea... But, unlike her brother, Cinder was choosing to go down the friendly route. In this new world there was no knowing what people were capable of. These people could be anything...could do anything...simply being in their company was a risk in itself.

Jedd didn't budge. He also never took his eyes off the new male.

"Jedd, please," she turned to face her brother, looking at him pleadingly. With a frustrated sigh, he lowered his weapon, tucking it back into the loop of his pants. "I wouldn't try anything," he growled at Cole.

Cinder clapped her hands together, more nervous laughter bubbling out from her, "Sit, sit everybody, please."

Artemis goes to sit, but stops when she sees her brother staying where he is. Going back over, she grabs his hand and tugs him down onto the log beside her. Lyra growls, facing Cole as she baxked up to sit in front of Artemis. The girl tells the wolf to cut it out, but Lyra keeps looking in Cole's direction with venom in her eyes. She was obviously very distrustful of him.

"We brought stuff too." Artemis says, taking off her brother's backpack and unzipping it to show cans of fruit, beans, and vegetables. They had pretty nuch stolen everything in the pantry that was canned, since that was the only thing they knew would last.

Apollo watches his sister, unconcerned about the others. He only wanted to be at home, in his bed. But no. He couldn't do that, because his idiot of a sister eanted to be kind to the Faders. She was going to get them killed, or worse: infected. Everyone knew that Serum Lux was contagious if it turned a person Fader. Apollo planned on keeping both himself and Artemis distance from the things until she got it through her head that she didn't really want to do this. However, judging by the way she eyed the one who had been sleeping, that would be easier said than done.

Reason looked at the two couples wondering if they were idiots or something. No applause, no gushes of thanks, no recognition even of who she was. She expected a lot more from this trek into the woods and was surly disappointed. A perfectly good pair of heals ruined for nothing. Okay maybe nothing she did get some good press but god damn it she wanted these guys attention and praise. She deserved that!

Seeing the sleeping male jump to his feet and wield a deadly looking dagger she dropped her hands from her hips and hung them loosely by her side, her hands curling into fists. The diamonds implanted in her knuckles catching the fire light and sparkling. The wings on her back shivered a little which caused the bells to twinkle. To others they may take the wing shivering as fear but it was really just her loosening up her mussels and preparing to fight. Reason may look harmless but she was anything but, skilled in any kind of hand to hand combat. She vowed when she was little to never be helpless again she kept that promise to herself. If this male wanted to fight she would fight. Reason gave a small smile, maybe she would even get to try her new found power of turning her skin into diamonds so she was hard. Unlike the faders she didn’t seem to have any ill effects from her new powers or the lux serum.

Her attention turned towards the couple with the bird and wolf and she gave a small frown as the wolf started to growl. “Pesky creature. Make it behave or I’ll deal with it. NO way am I brining home fleas from that creature” she hissed at the female. Reason wasn’t one to really like animals. Turning her attention back to the male with the dagger she was wondering whether to attack him first or wait for his first move. There were advantaged of either decision. Just as she was about to step forward a male stepped out of the bushes and announcing his presence with such a patronizing tone. Didn’t he know that was her job? She was the better one.

Giving a small huff Reason relaxed from the balls of her feet to her heals, letting her muscles relax as well. With the new comer it seemed everyone else relaxed as well and decided to be friends. How sweat. And disgusting. Like she would be friends with these low lives. “Well now that you are all a happy family of out casts I’ll take my leave. The two bags hold food, the other supplies such as a tent and blankets. That will be fine then yes? Nothing else?” she asked them. Maybe she should have just left but she thought she would try this nice thing every now and then and see if they needed anything else. It would look great for the press as well.

"I see a fire. I wanna go to the fire." Marco complained. they could see the light just ahead and it looked good to Marco, better than trekking around in the dark. They had been walking all day just trying to get through the city and into the forest. Now that it was night Alexei wanted to put some distance between themselves and any trail so they wouldn't get any of their new stuff stolen while they slept.

"There could be murderers at the fire." Alexei countered, "Besides it sounds like they are arguing."

"You wanted to find out about a cure, the best way to do that is to talk to other Faders. There are clearly other Faders at the fire, so I want to go there!" Marco was sick and tired of walking. He wanted to lay down next to the warm fire with his new blanket and sleep.

"You're just a sissy." Alexei muttered... She was tired and snippy but would rather they created their own fire far away from other people. Besides she could have sworn one of them said knife.

"I'm not a Sissy and talking to other people is suppose to be the point of all this." He was wining now for sure, a side-affect from being among the rich and famous for so long he was sure, but he couldn't nip the habit. "Please Alexie, I just want a warm fire and theirs is-" He stopped. they were close enough now that He could see some of the people through the trees, "Never mind, your right I would rather we made our own."

Alexei was curious now, "You were all gung-ho a second ago... What happened?" She went and stood where he had been standing and there was one person in perfect vision, a girl with wings. She had her hands in fists and Alexei could see some shimmering coming from her knuckles. She also didn't look like she belonged in the forest setting. She turned on Marco, "Do you know her?"

"Know who?" He was walking away.

"The girl with the wings..."

"Nope."

"I'm gonna go talk to her." Alexei turned and started towards them she was pretty close by the time Marco grabbed her arm, just outside the span of light and behind the trees.

"Alexei, knock it off." he spoke in a low voice so the sound wouldn't carry but it made him sound all the more serious. Marco did recognize Reason, or Bell as she went by... The came out here to be anonymous and he planned on it staying that way.

"Maybe I'm tired Marco ever think of that?" She broke fee of his arm. Alexei was angry at Marco. She didn't know why. Its just when she saw that girl... and the way it affected him... She had to know. "And what is so special about her anyway?"

Marco grabbed her again before she could go into the light. "Alexei you have your secrets. let me have mine."

"But you're the Nosy one!" She shouted breaking their quiet conversation into the one next to them and yanked free of his grip. The force caused her to stumble backward, where she tripped over a root, and knocked right into Reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back