• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings The Endless Quest of a Story Hunter [Dimmy's 1x1 Thread]

Dimmy

Not particularly bright
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Hello everyone, I'm Dimmy, and if you're reading this then you're probably in the same boat I am - looking for new partner to forge stories with. Will that partner be me? Maybe! Either way, I hope that you find someone who sparks your creative interests.

First, let's get the boring stuff out of the way. Namely, who I am and some of my rules.
  • I am a man in my mid twenties. Why does this matter? Because I have a tendency to prefer to write with people around (or above) my age group. This isn't to say that I won't write with folks who are younger, but I do tend to feel a bit awkward writing with people in their teens. As such I would strongly prefer any perspective partners be above the age of 20. (And, when writing with those under 20 I will only do platonic or familial (ie. non-romantic) RPs with.)
  • I don't do word counts/reply matching. My number one priority is the story that we're trying to tell together, and I find if I'm going out of my way to match my partner's post then the flow of the scene can become skewed. I will always give you both a response to your post as well as a jumping off point for your next post, but I won't dwaddle in purple prose. I find it can suck the energy out of a scene.
  • Romance can be.... iffy. This is not to say that I don't like it, but I do tend to prioritize character chemistry over everything else. If our characters don't have chemistry then I'm unlikely to commit to any sort of romance between them. If romance is your game then we can try re-rolling our characters to see if they're a better fit together. Or, otherwise simply introduce more characters into the plot and see if any of them work out. Because of this I'm unlikely to run with a plot that requires two very specific characters to enter into a romance together, unless you're okay with re-rolling.
  • On the topic of romance, I will do any character pairing type, and will play any gender of character myself. Again, chemistry is king for me - and that will always triumph over any set sexuality. (I also ask, in terms of OOC that all my partners be at least allies of the LGBT movement, as I am a gay man myself. Writing characters who are homophobic is one thing, being one yourself is another.)
  • Please be understanding that I have a life outside of the RP. I both work and attend university (as well as having other commitments with friends), this means I cannot dedicate every waking moment to the RP itself. I will always be upfront with you if I'll be gone for an extended period of time, but I do ask that you don't spam me if I'm gone for a few days at a time. Likewise, I won't pester you for a response unless it's been a considerable amount of time (approx. two weeks) without notice. This also means that my posting schedule may not always be consistent, some days I may be able to get out multiple responses, and others I may not post at all. I will try, at a minimum, to post 1-2 times a week.
  • Communication is something that I value. If you ever have an issue with the RP or myself, please reach out to me. I understand that sometimes it may be awkward to say, "hey I don't think this is working out" but I'd much prefer it then just being ghosted. Sometimes players don't mesh well together, which is completely fine. I'd just like to know where you're coming from and see if it's something that we can work out, and if not, I'd much rather know that our RP is a goner instead of having to piece it together myself over time. I will extend this same courtesy to you.
  • I don't like real-life face claims, it always makes me uncomfortable to know that I'm using an actual person's face for my character.
  • I really enjoy OOC talk, getting to know my partner and what makes them tick. I'll probably send you memes, and pictures of my cats, at some point or another.
Now that that's out of the way, let's talk plots!

In general I will do both fandoms and original story concepts. I don't necessarily have a preference between the two, as - I'm sure you're aware - cravings for certain things can come and go.

Fandoms

I typically prefer to be canon-compliant when it comes to writing for fandoms. This doesn't mean we can't add our own creativity and spice into the mix, but I'm more iffy about diverging too far away from the canon lore. There is a reason we're writing for a fandom and not an original concept after all. I am also a bit iffy on writing canon characters myself, I will do it but you may have to give me a nudge before I decide to do so. Why? Because I'm generally quite hard on myself when it comes to how I portray them. As such I tend to prefer to not stress myself out and simply play as an OC.

Fandoms I will do:

Star Wars
  • I would much prefer that we stick to the EU, rather than canon. Despite classifying myself as a SW nerd, I've been rather neglectful of canon and what is (and isn't) part of it.
  • Bonus points if you're willing to write within the timeframe of the Old Republic (KOTOR/SWTOR eras), as it's both my favourite and my /played in SWTOR is honestly rather depressing (so please let it pay off in some way).
Warhammer
  • I'm using the umbrella term, but I'm more or less talking about 30k/40k. I do have some knowledge on Fantasy/AoS, but it's honestly rather lacking. If you're willing to give me some time to learn the lore (and definitely not give me an excuse to buy some AoS books and boxes, anything but that).
  • Bonus points if the plot includes the Blood Angels or Grey Knights in any fashion.
  • I love this world so much, but - despite attempts in the past - never got any RPs off the ground for it. I will give you the fair warning that my knowledge is limited to the original series and the first two books in Korra. I don't mind writing in the timeframe of LoK but I will need a refresher.
  • Bonus points if I can play as a water bender who has a natural affinity with blood bending and is extremely conflicted due to this (because I am, I guess, an edgelord at heart - and also a sucker for internal conflict).
Fallout
  • Would greatly prefer that we either create an original setting or that we use one of the settings on the West Coast. The East Coast settings are fine and all (if you're one of the rare diehard 3/4 fans), but they can't compare (for me).
Pokemon
  • Am I getting back into this fandom after S/V? Absolutely. But I've realized how much I missed it. I should note that because of this there's a gap in my Pokemon knowledge (I stopped playing after X/Y).
  • I did actually have a Pokemon based RP years ago that I would love to re-vitalize. In gist: something catastrophic occurs (the vagueness to be filled in by us), and Arceus loses all of its power, being bound into human form. This is rather unfortunate because it's, y'know, Arceus, and now the other character alongside a now very mundane Arceus must help them regain their true form, as the world is greatly suffering as a consequence. (We could also re-format this to be any mythical/legendary 'mon.)
  • I also just generally like the idea of having Pokemon shifters. I had an idea of Pokemon seemingly becoming corrupted and almost feral, leading to mass hunts against them, only for those 'mons seemingly unaffected to shift into humans and try and blend into society. Could be a fun idea.
  • All that said I'm also completely down for just your general 'gotta be the very best' style plot.
Mass Effect
  • Much like Pokemon this is a fandom I have tried to RP before, with marginally better results, but I'd still love to give it another shot.
  • One previous plot that never got off the ground involved events after the Control Ending, wherein Shepard becomes corrupted - a tyrant, and drives most of the survivours into Terminus space. Our plot would follow some of these survivours in their quest to stop the person who was supposed to be their saviour and their very angry army of robot cuttlefish.
  • Bonus points if I can play an alien (especially a Drell or Quarian).
Dragon Age
  • Unlike A:TLA, Pokemon and ME I do have quite a bit of longterm experience RPing in this fandom. I also, unfortunately, don't have any plots that come immediately to mind.
  • Bonus points if I don't have to play as a human character, I like the other races too much.
The Elder Scrolls
  • My knowledge is restricted to Morrowind, Oblivion (which, confession, I never finished), and Skyrim. I do really like the world however, and would love to RP in it.
  • Bonus points if it's something involving the daedric princes.
  • & Bonus bonus points if, like DA, I don't have to play one of the races of man.
World of Warcraft
  • I am a returning player (with Dragonflight) who hasn't played since Legion. So, there's a pretty massive gap in my lore knowledge. Still, like TES I adore Azeroth and would love to RP in it.
  • Third times the charm right? Bonus points if I don't have to play a human. (And extra cool points if I can play a draenai.)
Wings of Fire
  • Is it weird that a grown man likes a book series for kids? Maybe, but I never grew out of my dragon phase, and I love the world as presented. I would be especially interested in an AU where Darkstalker actually wins - either in his initial plan, or during the events of Arc 2.
  • In particular, I'd like to be able to play as an IceWing (because they're pretty cool. Get it because they're... y'know nevermind.)
Some bonus fandoms that I don't really have anything to say about, but will still play: D&D/Pathfinder, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei (and spin-offs), The Outer Worlds, Harry Potter, Elden Ring, Bloodborne, ... and probably many more. Just ask.

Original Ideas
So original ideas are kind of a bit tricky for me because I much prefer that we brainstorm up an idea and world together. To me it's much more fun to invest and build something from the ground up with a partner than have either party come forward with preconceived notion about what things should be like. So I'm not going to drop any fully developed ideas on you, instead I'd like to tell you my interests in terms of genre, and general tropes/concepts.

Genres

I'm pretty laid back when it comes to genre, as there's only one I will not do: slice-of-life. I am a human in the modern world every single day and it's extremely overrated. As such when I write I want to immerse myself into fantasy, into someone who's distinctly not like me. Give me some escapism, please!

My favourite genres will always be high fantasy or sci-fi. But I adore things like the -punks, as well as low fantasy. Modern fantasy/supernatural is a harder sell, but not impossible.

Tropes/Concepts

The following are concepts (or tropes) I enjoy in RPs, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they have to be in them:

• Mythical creatures/monsters (similarly, aliens).
  • Reincarnation.
  • Pacts/deals with evil forces.
  • Anthros.
  • Subverting of stations/roles (ie. a king forced to become a peasant).
  • The presence of the occult and/or Lovecraftian elements.
  • Similarly, our characters accidentally (or maybe intentionally) unleashing an ancient/cosmic horror.
  • War dramas (or the backdrop of an RP being that of a war).
  • Characters from very different walks of life/contrast between life-experience/station/etc.
  • Familial drama (I find people usually sleep on this one when compared to romantic/platonic drama, but it can be so much fun).
  • Seedy political schemes.
  • Influence of gods/deities (both benevolent and malevolent).
  • Our characters as fugitives or just generally being on the run from something.
  • Characters lying about who they are/or some element about themselves.
I ask any would be partners to shoot me a list of things you like in your RP, so we can cross-reference! (This is also not a conclusive list by any means, so more is likely to come to mind.)

.... And I think that about sums it up. This thread was longer than intended, and if you made it through the whole thing you're a trooper. As I mentioned at the start, whether you RP with me or not, I appreciate you taking the time to read my thread, and I hope that you find someone who makes you love staying creative.

Cheers!
- Dimmy

I very much adore SWTOR, I am currently replaying that game, and I also interested in another fandom, but I will talk about that in a DM.
But do feel free to DM me.

hey! i'm a huge fan of world of warcraft and i'd love to write with you if you're still looking for partners! i'd love for you to play a draenei if that's what your heart desires! i would absolutely love to discuss more if you're interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back