• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

One x One The Different

[SIZE=10.5pt]“Twenty?” she murmured, shocked at his response. Based on what he had just told her about his life, she had expected him to be older. That means he was a mercenary as a teenager… She could feel her heart tighten in her chest at the thought, and almost reached out for his hand once more, but held back. She didn’t know him at all, and she was also not used to being physical with people, even when it came to simple touches. She’d spent her whole life shutting people out, even though it went against her very nature.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Watching his as he spoke, she noticed for a moment that his eye color seemed like it was changing, though she wasn’t quite sure. And she thought that staring might be a little rude as well. It must be a trick of the light. Though.... I supposed he is technically an alien. Maybe that's a normal thing for him? ....Is it rude to ask people about that? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]His mentioning sleep shook her from her thoughts, and she bit her lip, staring off into the dark of the forest for a moment before responding. “No… I don’t think it’s safe yet… Luckily, I don’t work for a few days, so I won’t be missed…” she mumbled softly, watching as he got up to gather up some leaves in a makeshift bed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Sleeping on the ground didn’t exactly appeal to her, and she glanced around, looking for a tree to lean against while she slept. She spotted one a little bit further away, and shook her head at his offer, not wanting to put him out any more than she already had. “No, I’ll be fine. I can sleep sitting up if I need to. When you’re on a four day shift at the hospital, you start sleeping in the weirdest of places...” Getting up, she brushed off her pants before picking up her bag and walking over to the tree. Sitting back down, she pulled up the hood of her sweater and pulled out her large scarf from her bag, placing it over her lap. She turned to look over at Ryan, a little further away from the fire than he was, and smiled. “Goodnight, I guess? Hopefully it doesn’t get too cold… I don’t fancy dealing with frostbite right now.”[/SIZE]

Just as Colette had finished her final sentence, a soft, yet cold gust of wind blew through the forest, sending a cold chill down the back of Ryan's neck.

"Yeah... No, you're definitely not sleeping in the open in this kind of weather..." Ryan said, rubbing the back of his neck as though he was trying to wipe away the cold whipping against his neck.

Ryan looked around for a moment, thinking about the best way to build a shelter.

"Hmm..." Ryan mumbled.

After a few moments of thinking and scanning over the same tree and inky blackness around them, Earth finally cut through the empty thoughts going through Ryan's head.

"Why not make a foxhole? It will protect you from the wind..." 

Ryan suddenly whipped his head back towards Colette, a look only a child would make after solving an impossible riddle on his face.

"Got it! Foxhole!" He exclaimed, looking a few feet next to where Colette was.

"Okay, I'm thinking something like a five foot by seven foot. maybe about four-ish or five-ish feet deep... What do you think?" Ryan thought to Earth.

"Sounds good..." Earth replied plainly.

Ryan raised his hand and pointed his index finger towards the area he had been staring at; within a few moments, the ground began to descend into itself, making a hole nearly four feet in the ground.

"Annnd..." Ryan said, holding the 'N' as he used a controlled blast of wind to blow some leaves into the foxhole. "Done! outdoor bedding!"

Ryan walked over to see his work, looking down into the hole and nodding satisfactorily. "Not too bad, should keep the wind off you."

Ryan looked over at Colette, not too sure what else to say now as he stood there, almost as if frozen in place.

Just as Colette had finished her final sentence, a soft, yet cold gust of wind blew through the forest, sending a cold chill down the back of Ryan's neck.

"Yeah... No, you're definitely not sleeping in the open in this kind of weather..." Ryan said, rubbing the back of his neck as though he was trying to wipe away the cold whipping against his neck.

Ryan looked around for a moment, thinking about the best way to build a shelter.

"Hmm..." Ryan mumbled.

After a few moments of thinking and scanning over the same tree and inky blackness around them, Earth finally cut through the empty thoughts going through Ryan's head.

"Why not make a foxhole? It will protect you from the wind..." 

Ryan suddenly whipped his head back towards Colette, a look only a child would make after solving an impossible riddle on his face.

"Got it! Foxhole!" He exclaimed, looking a few feet next to where Colette was.

"Okay, I'm thinking something like a five foot by seven foot. maybe about four-ish or five-ish feet deep... What do you think?" Ryan thought to Earth.

"Sounds good..." Earth replied plainly.

Ryan raised his hand and pointed his index finger towards the area he had been staring at; within a few moments, the ground began to descend into itself, making a hole nearly four feet in the ground.

"Annnd..." Ryan said, holding the 'N' as he used a controlled blast of wind to blow some leaves into the foxhole. "Done! outdoor bedding!"

Ryan walked over to see his work, looking down into the hole and nodding satisfactorily. "Not too bad, should keep the wind off you."

Ryan looked over at Colette, not too sure what else to say now as he stood there, almost as if frozen in place.

Colette’s eyes had fallen closed, a gust of wind making her shiver and fold her arms tighter around herself in response. When Ryan spoke, she cracked her eyes open to squint at him, mildly curious as to what he planned to do about their situation. “It’s fine, really,” she mumbled in quiet protest, shifting in her spot against the tree.

She stayed quiet as she watched him scan the forest, silhouetted against the fire. Starting at his exuberant exclamation, she tilted her head to the side in confusion and repeated, “A foxhole? That would take ages to build, you know…” Her gaze followed his finger as he pointed to a spot near her, and when the earth began to descend upon itself, she yelped loudly and scrambled away from the hole, nearly tripping as she pushed herself to her feet.

Once he was done, and the last of the leaves settled into the hole, she stared at him wide-eyed, her mouth agape as he proclaimed that the hole should keep the wind off of her. “How much magic do you know?!” Her scarf was on the ground, forgotten, as she slowly approached the makeshift sleeping arrangements. Glancing up at him, her eyes narrowed, curiosity evident on her face as she studied him. “Is it… normal for other people to know more than one type of magic? I’ve never come across anyone here that knows more than one…”

Gesturing to the hole in the ground, she added, “You’re joining me, right? It’s clearly big enough for two, and shared body heat is probably a good idea on such a cold night."

Last edited by a moderator:
Colette’s eyes had fallen closed, a gust of wind making her shiver and fold her arms tighter around herself in response. When Ryan spoke, she cracked her eyes open to squint at him, mildly curious as to what he planned to do about their situation. “It’s fine, really,” she mumbled in quiet protest, shifting in her spot against the tree.

She stayed quiet as she watched him scan the forest, silhouetted against the fire. Starting at his exuberant exclamation, she tilted her head to the side in confusion and repeated, “A foxhole? That would take ages to build, you know…” Her gaze followed his finger as he pointed to a spot near her, and when the earth began to descend upon itself, she yelped loudly and scrambled away from the hole, nearly tripping as she pushed herself to her feet.

Once he was done, and the last of the leaves settled into the hole, she stared at him wide-eyed, her mouth agape as he proclaimed that the hole should keep the wind off of her. “How much magic do you know?!” Her scarf was on the ground, forgotten, as she slowly approached the makeshift sleeping arrangements. Glancing up at him, her eyes narrowed, curiosity evident on her face as she studied him. “Is it… normal for other people to know more than one type of magic? I’ve never come across anyone here that knows more than one…”

Gesturing to the hole in the ground, she added, “You’re joining me, right? It’s clearly big enough for two, and shared body heat is probably a good idea on such a cold night."

Hearing Colette's exclamation, Ryan jumped slightly, not expecting the sudden reaction.

"I hope you understand this was because of your drinking problem... You could have walked for another five minutes and be done within 30, but because of your impatience and senselessness, you"- 

"You know, you could've given me this whole speech on patience and drinking or whatever whenever I was... I don't know... Building a camp and feeling lonely... But now, I just don't care..." Ryan thought tiredly, ready to just go to sleep now.

despite the lengthy conversation in his mind, it appeared as though it only lasted a second. Ryan shook his head a little and focused back on Colette, thinking on how to answer her question.

"well, I can control wind, fire, water, earth, ice... Oh! And on a good day, light! So... yeah, that's about it."

Seeing Colette's questioning glance, Ryan pondered the question for a moment, wondering if there were any others like him. 

"I'd be surprised if I was the only one with more than one power honestly. Knowing my luck, someone probably can control fucking gravity..." Ryan replied dryly, staring back down into the fox hole once again.

"Anyway! Ummmm... You sure you're okay with that?" Ryan asked, quickly changing the conversation towards Colette's last question and adding, "I mean, we did just meet and all, but if you don't mind then alright. Guess it would help keep the cold off of us."

Ryan stood there for a moment before finally sliding into the foxhole, landing on the crisp bed of leaves and looking up at Colette.

@heartshapedsprinkles

Hearing Colette's exclamation, Ryan jumped slightly, not expecting the sudden reaction.

"I hope you understand this was because of your drinking problem... You could have walked for another five minutes and be done within 30, but because of your impatience and senselessness, you"-

"You know, you could've given me this whole speech on patience and drinking or whatever whenever I was... I don't know... Building a camp and feeling lonely... But now, I just don't care..." Ryan thought tiredly, ready to just go to sleep now.

despite the lengthy conversation in his mind, it appeared as though it only lasted a second. Ryan shook his head a little and focused back on Colette, thinking on how to answer her question.

"well, I can control wind, fire, water, earth, ice... Oh! And on a good day, light! So... yeah, that's about it."

Seeing Colette's questioning glance, Ryan pondered the question for a moment, wondering if there were any others like him.

"I'd be surprised if I was the only one with more than one power honestly. Knowing my luck, someone probably can control fucking gravity..." Ryan replied dryly, staring back down into the fox hole once again.

"Anyway! Ummmm... You sure you're okay with that?" Ryan asked, quickly changing the conversation towards Colette's last question and adding, "I mean, we did just meet and all, but if you don't mind then alright. Guess it would help keep the cold off of us."

Ryan stood there for a moment before finally sliding into the foxhole, landing on the crisp bed of leaves and looking up at Colette.

@heartshapedsprinkles

Colette's eyes grew wide as Ryan listed all of the elemental magic that was at his disposal, her mouth dropping open slightly. She could hardly believe what she was hearing. "S-six?! You've got the ability to control six different types of magic? You must... You must be insanely powerful!" Her exclamation was a bit louder than she intended, her surprise clearly genuine. Is this... Is this totally normal for him? Geez... No one here would be able to stand a chance against him, with all of that power at his disposal... A soft gust of wind made her shiver once more, and she caught sight of her scarf being pushed along the forest floor. Reaching down to pick it up, she took a moment to shake off the brush that had gathered before pulling the piece of fabric tightly around her shoulders.

Hesitating slightly as she considered his question about their sleeping arrangements, she cleared her throat before nodding slowly. Suddenly aware of what it was she had been asking of him, she mumbled softly, "Y-yeah, I mean... Only if you're okay with it. I don't... I don't wanna make you uncomfortable." She shifted slightly, staring down at the hole in the ground and simultaneously avoiding eye contact. Grabbing her bag, she hopped into the hole and dropped the bag to one end, intending to use it as a pillow. She pulled her hood on once more, and flopped onto the ground, arranging her scarf over her legs where the fabric was thinner, and laying her head on her bag. She glanced back up at him, waiting for him to make a move, his body silhouetted against the dark by the flickering fire not far from the foxhole.

Colette's eyes grew wide as Ryan listed all of the elemental magic that was at his disposal, her mouth dropping open slightly. She could hardly believe what she was hearing. "S-six?! You've got the ability to control six different types of magic? You must... You must be insanely powerful!" Her exclamation was a bit louder than she intended, her surprise clearly genuine. Is this... Is this totally normal for him? Geez... No one here would be able to stand a chance against him, with all of that power at his disposal... A soft gust of wind made her shiver once more, and she caught sight of her scarf being pushed along the forest floor. Reaching down to pick it up, she took a moment to shake off the brush that had gathered before pulling the piece of fabric tightly around her shoulders.

Hesitating slightly as she considered his question about their sleeping arrangements, she cleared her throat before nodding slowly. Suddenly aware of what it was she had been asking of him, she mumbled softly, "Y-yeah, I mean... Only if you're okay with it. I don't... I don't wanna make you uncomfortable." She shifted slightly, staring down at the hole in the ground and simultaneously avoiding eye contact. Grabbing her bag, she hopped into the hole and dropped the bag to one end, intending to use it as a pillow. She pulled her hood on once more, and flopped onto the ground, arranging her scarf over her legs where the fabric was thinner, and laying her head on her bag. She glanced back up at him, waiting for him to make a move, his body silhouetted against the dark by the flickering fire not far from the foxhole.l The

Ryan couldn't help but feel a little flattered by Colette's exclamation. Ignoring his slight feeling of pride, Ryan looked down at Colette for a moment as he thought about sleeping arrangements.

"It's fine with me. In all honesty, sleeping with a stranger sounds a lot better than freezing..." Ryan said jokingly.

After a moment, he crouched down on his knees and skooched in between Colette and the wall of dirt next to her and stretched out onto his back, leaving less than an inch between their arms.

"Well... Good night I guess..." Ryan mumbled, chuckling lightly afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back