• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom The Devil's In the Details [Closed DMC rp]

madxhatterxteapot

Roleplay Type(s)
"You wish…to terminate your contract with us?" Tired steel blue eyes glanced up from the piece of paper in his hands. They locked with the emerald green of the young woman in front of him, regarding her for a moment as though she were a specimen. These matters were tedious and boring. He expected her to scurry around fearful enough considering her constant anxiety, but a legality was an interesting move. He didn't quite think she'd had the gall to do so. Leaning back in his seat, Walter Mundy regarded his client for a moment as well as the older short-haired woman seated next to her and the young man that was their lawyer.

His position was slightly bent as he sat, gaze skimming over the document once more. As old as he was, his hearing was still sharp and he listened to the tap of the young woman's fingers against her lap while she signed to the redhead seated opposite of her. "Mr. Mundy," Maxwell Borenstein cleared his throat and nodded to the young woman. "My client is prepared to go to court and we are willing to litigate this problem for as long as possible, long enough to give your music company a bad name, as well as decrease the sales of your currently scheduled performances."

The old man's lip twitched in a mixture of annoyance and amusement. Hands folding together, Walter Mundy tilted his head to the side at the young woman gazing back at him with a serious expression. His gaze lingered on her furrowed brow and the corner of her mouth twitching in annoyance. It gave him great pleasure at her discomfort. "Miss Wild…" He uttered, his voice was scratchy, almost like sandpaper. "We've been over this, darling-" The Maestro stopped short when he saw the older woman scoot her chair closer.

She had the same expression as his agitator. Despite the flecks of white appearing in her hair, the "guardian" was stoic and not amused at his treatment. Her tone was quick to have a sharp bite to it. "I'd keep your tongue dry and words civil. My niece certainly don't approve a this shit and neither do I."

His hands folded on the desk and the corner of his lips twitched slightly in amusement. "While this is all good and fun, Miss Wild and Mrs. Tisdale, I have a rather busy schedule to attend to as Miss Wild is aware of from her time in our orchestra. Or…has it slipped your mind, darling?" There it was again, that slimy remark.

Her mind was elsewhere in that moment, despite all of her focus on the man in front of her. Her hands clenched at her sides. She did not see Walter Mundy in the present. She saw his visage in her imagination now as it reeled back to a childhood memory. A monster begging for its life as a bigger one savaged it. It's gaping jowls, dripping, with and unhinged, maw. Razor sharp teeth gleamed blood in the moonlight, but the gaze of the bigger one never left hers.

The phrase uttered by her employer brought her back to the present though and she found her gumption again. Her knees shook in her seat and despite every fiber of her being telling her to run, the building pressure in her gut, she maintained her ground on the issue.

Dark chocolate waves shook from her head, pulled back into a half-bun, her shifting facial expressions said it all whilst Mara Wild signed her hands at him vehemently. "I'm not your "darling", Mr. Mundy. I am also not bound to you because you deem to "will" it on paper that has the mad basis that is the same as a contract with the Church of Scientology."

Sighing, he ran his hand over his face, and inhaled sharply. Ah, to be compared to another egregious mortal cult was both in itself an insult and a compliment . "Miss Wild, we have been over this many times. When you first signed your contract with us, the print was very clear. You would carry it out until you planned to retire." He watched as the young man at her side with his curly blonde hair and crisp business attire fished around for some paperwork and then chimed in.

Maxwell Borenstein may have looked like any ordinary lawyer, but he had a few tricks up his sleeves. "And while that may be true that she signed the contract within your employment, it is, in fact, illegal to sign life contracts. Might I also add you did so illegally considering she was a minor at the time." The click of a briefcase opened and Walter Mundy was served a manila folder, glaring at the brown-eyed attorney with his mouth tightened into a thin line. No sooner had the plain little folder come into view, Walter Mundy felt the energy coursing from it. Ah. He was that kind of lawyer. "Please, Mr. Mundy. We can make this legal issue very ugly…my firm and I are known for dealing with…difficult people like yourselves. By difficult I mean-"

"Despicable? Deplorable? Devious?" He was looking for a different word but Maxwell wasn't going to buy into it or at least adhere to another type of quarrel Walter Mundy wanted to initiate. At this, the Maestro regarded the lawyer with a pleasant smile and he turned it on the girl instead. "Well, Miss Wild. We don't want things to be messy now do we and it seems I underestimated you."
"We don't take lightly to threats in this family, Mr. Mundy. It's best ya remember that now." The terseness of the older woman's tone cut through Walter Mundy's attempts to "appease" the situation. Ah, yes the aunt. Carol Tisdale had always been a thorn in his side from the day they scoped out Mara's talents and he couldn't shake her, nor could he get rid of her either. She might have been donned in hospital scrubs during this meeting and looked seemingly harmless, but no one associated with the girl was ever anything but a threat.

Hands folded in her lap, Mara blinked at Walter Mundy, and regarded him with indifference. Her gaze never leaving his face for her glare was as livid as her posture in the chair. She watched as he took out his fancy pen from his breast pocket and signed the papers, thrusting them back to the lawyer.

"Pleasure resolving this issue Mr. Mundy," Maxwell responded curtly, but judging by his tone, the attorney knew this wasn't going to be so easy. Rising from the chair, he gestured to the girl to usher her towards the door with the older woman. "We keep this quiet now sir and perhaps this can be settled in a civil trial instead of a criminal proceeding."

"Of course, I certainly hope there are no hard feelings Miss Wild." Walter Mundy addressed her with a mock bow and extended his hand for her to shake, but she didn't return the gesture. Oh no. She had given him enough of her time he imagined, but she would still have more to give it would be in time. He was patient. He could wait.

Standing from the chair, she cautiously picked up the violin case that had been seated next to her on the floor. Mara hesitated though as if suspecting this would not be their last encounter. Her fingers clenched around the handle of the instrument case and as it lifted she saw his eyes flit to it for a brief moment. "…No hard feelings at all. Especially not with all of your father's talents." She could hear him utter as she slowly turned to exit the door. This wouldn't be the last encounter with them and even if the contract had been severed, Mara knew better than that. This was far from over.
--

"Have I ever mentioned that contracts are cumbersome?" The tired steel grey of the older male's gaze lifted to stare out at the partly cloudy sky through barred panes.
The sound of the office door opening drew his attention and he found his attention drawn to the sight a younger, lankier, male standing before him. Two, veiled, narrowed baby blue eyes were took in the Maestro's state. Ah yes, there he was in all of his patient, slimy, little brooding. Mikhail slouched although he was much more relaxed the way he stood.

His hands shoved into the pockets of his violet slacks, complete with black and white checkered Chucks, a matching black and white striped dress shirt and black vest adorned his torso while he brushed his sickly blonde hair from his weasel-like face. "You called for me, Maestro?"

"I think...we haven't given the little "Mistake" a good scare in a fair while now. Don't you think?" The steely grey of the older man's eyes met the younger male's gaze. His pupils dilating with wide excitement. "...It's a nice enough day for it, don't you agree?"

"...And how..." Much like the weasel he was, Mikhail seemed to slink towards the Maestro's desk. "...am I allowed to terrorize the little mouse this time?" He was hoping to be granted more freedom, more liberty, more suffering.

Walter Mundy held up a hand and offered him a smirk. "Patience...is a virtue. But unfortunately you're still going to need to run an errand for me when you get the chance." He could feel the hair on the back of his neck stand up and the Maestro shifted uncomfortably as his smirk faded. "...it seems "The Prelude" might begin sooner rather than later..." I thought I left him where he was bound...

"Errands..." The lanky, sneering, little man scoffed. "What errands?"

"...I'll require blood samples from the other son of Sparda. No need to get close to him because he is a very good shot." Mikhail didn't need to be told twice. "...but for now, you may have your fun."
That grin on Mikhail's thin lips split wide, toothy, revealing his teeth had sharpened. "All the fun?"

"In time, but not now..." The Maestro's tone deepened and his lip curled as he saw Mikhail's grin fade into a scowl. "...Once we've our use of her, you can have all the fun you want."
--

Despite the severance of the contract months over a year ago, she vowed not to let the intimidation tactics of her former employer interrupt her daily life. No matter if it was several days after the fact or several weeks, one thing certainly would never change and that was her anxiety being in public places that were crowded.

People stared. If there was anything she hated more than anything in the world, it was when onlookers couldn't mind their own business. It was the most uncomfortable feeling in the world. The sensation of someone else's eyes washing over you, sizing you up, almost like a predator observed its prey. The pharmacy was one of the least expected places she had expected it to happen. She didn't think the customers would watch as she disputed her frustration to the pharmaceutical rep, who was the only one that could understand her. The manager, standing beside his employee merely gaped at the situation and tried to interrupt as the girl's hands moved rapidly, signing her words and using DJ to voice for her; between the two only once could speak.

"Your manager, I feel, is incapable of running this store. I've been here many times in the past few months, and every time Ms. Tisdale, my aunt, submits a prescription for the hospital there seems to be an issue." The rep voiced for her, though it was strained because he couldn't hear his own tone. Small fists clenched the strap to her instrument case that had been fashioned to wrapped around her shoulder so she could have her hands free at all times. The anger in her nonverbal gestures mounted, before DJ finally resolved the issue and made sure to correct what his manager had done wrong. It wasn't his fault his supervisor was an idiot...she mostly felt bad that DJ had to put up with an idiot.

The young man behind the counter, held out a small white bag to her. His expression sympathized with her frustration and he nudged his head in the direction of the older man standing behind him. "I'm so sorry for this, really. This shouldn't happen to you at all…" His own hands lifted up and he returned the gestures to her so the man behind him couldn't hear. "I'm putting in a call to corporate next week because I'm convinced he's discriminating against the customers who a deaf. He seems to think you can't hear him when he talks to me."

Reaching for the bag, green eyes settled on DJ adjusting his glasses. Her mouth set into a thin line and the girl exhaled a rasped noise of annoyance before she signed to him again, expressing her thanks and turning to face the small audience standing behind her. Their stares only proving to further agitate her

"WHAT? What are you staring at?" She pointed to her eyes and then back at them, before gesturing to the counter behind her. It seemed the expression was understood, and all eyes darted away from her.
Rolling her eyes, she moved around the line of people in an effort to get out of there as fast as possible. Her heart began to pound in her chest, and her black ballet flats clicked rapidly against the tile floor. Without hesitating, Mara shoved the front door open and pushed her way out into the open air. She had to get away, had to get out of there. The pressure in her stomach was mounting and her thoughts were going a hundred miles a minute. Her pace quickened and turned into slightly manic five block power walk which finally gave her enough room to breathe once the pharmacy was far out of sight.

She clutched at the skirts of her cute blue sundress in an attempt to calm herself. The bag of temporary prescription balled into her fist, and against her other hand she clutched tightly to the leather strap around her shoulder. The pulse of the instrument case at her back further made effort to settle her nerves and its energy soothed her for the time being.

Dark chocolate curls fell in her face as she leaned up against the wall of Mike's Corner Store. Her breathing eventually settled and the tightness in her chest disappeared. Inhaling deeply, Mara lifted her head up to gaze across the street and remind herself of her surroundings. A second pulse of the case only reminded her, but briefly, that she wasn't entirely alone. That was when she heard its call.
Spardaaaa… It whispered and she tensed slightly, turning to look around at the sound of this name.

What? Who? Her fingers reached for the case at her back and she pulled it to her side. Emerald eyes glanced down at the clasps. "…What is it?" She asked it again. "…Who are you talking about? She hadn't heard the instrument ever utter anything like that before. Perhaps a brief warning but never a name

The smell blood hung in the air, thick, and coppery. It was a stench you couldn't forget and it was an easy scent to recognize, she hadn't been paying the slightest attention, completely, to her surroundings but she felt the pull of the instrument. Find Sparda…

--
This realm was a mixture of black and white. The air was stale and plagued with a surrounding fog. Even the heaviest footsteps made no audible sounds. It was as if the silence, alone, was deafening.

The silence was too eerie for his liking and despite the fact the town was familiar, Dante knew he wasn't in the human world anymore. The buildings were all drenched in a sickening grey color, almost how a corpse would look near the final stages of the rotting process. He began to recognize landmarks as he got closer to his destination, but there were others that were unfamiliar with shops he couldn't recognize, and he had a feeling he knew where he was going.

His boots scuffed against the white cobblestone of the streets and he gazed at the massive crater where the demonic tower, Temen-ni-gru once, stood in the middle of the city. Blank, abandoned, construction equipment riddled the the area. A bit of foundation was in built place where the ominous focal point once stood.

His gaze shifted about warily the, suddenly, a voice whispered to him. "It's down there…"

The corner of his lip twitched, smirking slightly, almost expectantly of the bullshit to follow. "What's down there?" He asked no one in particular, though he was skeptic of the whole situation. He didn't think he'd receive a response and when he turned he felt like he was looking at a ghost.

He tensed, moving to grip Rebellion strapped to his back but the blade was gone. His next reflex was for his guns, but they too seemed to have disappeared and he was gazing at the visage of his mother, standing behind him and smiling softly.

Eva's gaze was soft, her long blonde hair neatly pulled back into elaborate braids. Her demeanor peaceful, at ease. "You know, dear." She stated firmly, but her eyes were blank, soulless, and it was probably the eeriest part this…dream. It had to be a fantasy, otherwise he wouldn't have come without his weapons.

"Down…there…" He turned to look at what appeared to be a well that had suddenly appeared in the ruins of the tower. The grey waters bubbled over and for a moment he was drawn to it, before he snapped out of the trance and turned back to his mother.

Her visage began to shift and change. A third eye suddenly appeared in the middle of her head, blazing red. "…Son of Sparda…"

-

Icy blue eyes shot open to the world around him and he was gazing up at the ceiling fan in his bedroom. If one checked his pulse, it would have been racing which was uncommon for the devil hunter. He couldn't go on with these nightmares anymore. While their occurrence was fairly recent, he initially tried to push them out of his mind. What better way to do that? Cold showers.
A number of different thoughts processed through his head all at once as the icy waters hit his skin. Earlier this year, he had developed a taste aversion to pizza. Lady hadn't been by in months to collect payment (mostly for the bike he destroyed). He was pretty sure the spam from the local scam artists wasn't helping either, because after a while he had disconnected the phone. The cherry on top of it all was the dreams. They came and went every once in a while but the most recent one he couldn't get out of his head. If this shit didn't abate soon, he'd almost consider seeing a shrink for this shit. Almost...

Stepping out of the shower, he dried his hair off with a towel and plopped down at desk. A mess of half-empty Chinese take-out containers littered the place as he sifted through them to satiate his hunger. He scrunched his nose up in distaste as he picked up some Hunan chicken. "Why should I bother eating all this shit? I'm just gonna be hungry again in an hour." Carelessly, he tossed the container into the trashcan and glanced at the phone. He could call for some pizza right now but he hadn't had much taste for it since…

A sinking feeling settled in his gut and Dante suddenly felt a little angry at the idea. He didn't want to think about Vergil abandoning the human world. He didn't care that he and his brother differed on key views, but he was concerned for his twin

"Fuck." He hissed through his teeth as he tossed another container away. What did he care what happened to Vergil? His own brother didn't give a shit. So why should he?

He finally found a box of sesame chicken and lifted a piece to his mouth. Surveying his "office" he took in his surroundings. The retro jukebox in the corner was all banged up from Dante hitting it so many times. The ceiling fan squeaked above his head. He had at least several piles of trash bags sitting around the room he'd been too lazy to take to the dumpster. Then there was the briefcase sitting on the floor in front of the doorway. His gaze came back to that last sight. His brows raising suspiciously at the object in question.

Dante cocked a brow and he set the take out box down. Carefully, he wrapped his towel around his waist and grabbed Ebony off the desk. A single envelope attached to the side of the container and cautiously,he picked it up. He warily took it back over to his desk and clicked the locks open. $500,000 dollars laid out before him. Who the fuck had left this for him here? Without hesitation, he ripped the letter open and held it out to read.
To the esteemed and legendary devil hunter: Dante,

We are prepared to offer you this sum of money should you complete the mission enclosed.

As this is very important matter to us, we would be ever so grateful to your endeavors to complete it in as timely a manner as possible.

Your mission: Locate a demonic entity known as 'The Mistake' and bring it to this address enclosed underneath the money.'

Sincerely,

The TAHL Agency.'

Call him crazy, but people didn't just give that type of money away. "Sounds like blood money to me..." There was suspicion in his tone as he set the envelope down and stared at the briefcase. Despite the fact he could have just taken the money and run with it, he wasn't feeling this. (Fin)

The sight of three glowing red orbs were still burned into Vergil’s head as the Son of Sparda began to sense the world around him again. He thought they might have been the last things he’d ever see as he recognized solid pressure against his forehead, and realized he wasn’t being held aloft over emptiness anymore. There was pressure against his chest, his legs – he was laying flat, somewhere.

Inhale.

Pain stabbed into him as he took in that deep breath, almost causing him to cough it out as he winced and closed his fingers into a fist, fingertips feeling the remnants of his torn gloves against his palm. ‘Think.’ He dared not move too much as his mind cycled to remember where he was and what was going on.

Sounds began to make their way into his calculations. He heard cars, he heard footsteps over sidewalk, idle chatter, and birds – not songs, but the chatter of fat pigeons demanding more crumbs. ‘This doesn’t make sense.’ He had to be dreaming, though as he lifted his head and dug his nails into his palm to draw blood, he realized that with all the pain he was in, there was no way this was a dream as the sun bore down on him even in the dark alley, causing him to shut his blue eyes again for a few seconds, and then re-open them.

He was back in the human world, with all the wounds from his encounter with Mundus, which were not insignificant. Not that he couldn’t walk off being impaled, and so he still managed to get to a sitting position as he tried to reconcile what he was doing here, and examine his own wounds.

His clothing was in tatters, his blue coat little more than scraps hanging off him, his pants almost shorts, and his tunic barely there. There was still blood running down from open wounds. ‘Wasn’t out long.’ He put a hand to his knee, and pushed himself up to standing just as someone darkened the alley.

A woman.

A woman with green eyes that woke his memory, as he recalled something beyond Mundus’s red orbs. He had seen eyes of just that vibrant shade in hell, although he couldn’t remember the face, or much else – to say he’d been out of it would be an understatement, but nonetheless, he was certain they were the same eyes.

Which meant this had to be the same person who…got him out of there?

She looked about as confused as he felt, though.

“You,” he managed to breath out the word, though his voice was hoarse, throat raw from all the screams that had been forced out of it, “why…did you save me? How?” on the how, he took a step towards her, not intending to loom, but the urgency of the question and his tone made it seem both like an accusation and a threat, more than insistent curiosity.

Regulating his presence wasn’t top priority right then when he didn’t understand what was going on.

Especially as the woman before him seemed naught but a mere human.

How was that possible?

~***~

The human world was a waking nightmare to the demon known as Pia, and yet also, terribly, nostalgic. It was a civilization of backhanded compliments and forbidden murder, of small kindnesses and random street smiles – of music and dance. It reminded her of hell before Mundus, something she had all but forgotten despite striving to return to that very hell with her every waking breath.

Where the trains to each layer were operable, and there were open stores. Where it wasn’t open season to just kill someone you disliked, and the gladiator arenas were the area to handle bouts of rage and prove one’s mettle.

Where it was easy to get a good night’s sleep and not worry about whether or not the wards were set up properly, and if you were going to be killed in your sleep.

The humans even tried to be helpful as she asked where to find ‘occult’ things. However, each direction she was sent to, she ended up in an incense heavy shop with nonsense crystals, and magical books that were laughably inept – although there were a few that were intriguing. The problem there ended up being that humans wanted…money in exchange for goods.

The pink-haired demon was not unaccustomed to bartering and exchange, but she had nothing to give. She did not have money, and humans seemed to want little else. Figuring out what money was, had been a trial in humiliation. It didn’t help that she was also growing hungry, and starting to become fatigued – and of course, beds and food took money!

Murder would solve the problem, or outright theft, but that wasn’t who Pia was, and she understood that in this society, with these things forbidden, that would just draw unwanted trouble her way. At least there were a few souls that took mercy on her; one lady bought her something called a hotdog and gave her a business card to apply for a job, which was apparently how humans got money.

Another told her about a homeless shelter, but suggested she just “go home” back to her parents, who were probably worried about her if she was going about this nomadic life. Pia tried to correct her, but the woman was hearing none of it, and left Pia with a few dollars, which she squandered on clothing because she needed something clean.

At least she started to get better at figuring out how to get bits of money by taking a cue from a street musician.

Street magician worked just as well, and her magic was real – so people would leave money for her, which started to add up to enough to get a motel room, new clothes, and funding food, but it also cut into her time searching for what she really wanted.

‘Okay, this world makes sense, but I still don’t know how to find what I want. Occult seems to mean crystals and incense, so what means real magic to these people? Actually, scratch that, I don’t think they know what real magic is.’

Changing to asking about demons also didn’t help – until someone mentioned ‘Devil May Cry’, which supposedly hunted demons. The guy who told her was laughing about it, calling it a scam, but it felt like the first real thing since stumbling into this world.

So it was that Pia ended up outside Devil May Cry. She didn’t see an open or closed sign, but it was late enough in the day that she assumed open so she just…opened the door.

And her blue eyes immediately latched onto the basically-naked stranger in what looked to be a house more than a business. She might have looked away out of respect, but recognition chimed into her head too quickly for her to do that. “Sparda?” The name was said with as much revulsion as it was confusion, because…, “No….” not Sparda, but very obviously someone of Sparda’s blood, which meant he could help her.

That was when she tore her eyes away from him and sighed, head falling into a hand, “Put something on, I need to talk to you.” Her other hand gave him a dismissive wave with the order.

The violin pulsed again, this time it rumbled that name once more. Sparda... Tensing a bit again, Mara looked down at the instrument case and then back up, not seeing what it was it might have been referring to and yet her feet moved accordingly. The gentle clipping sound of her flats against the pavement was the loudest sound in her ears, despite how fast her heard was hammering in her chest, but she didn't stop and kept her pace up. Find...Sparda..

Find who??? The alleyway seemed bigger than she remembered and when Mara stopped again, it was to catch her bearings. There appeared to be nothing at first but she knew better than to turn away from the growls and purrs of the instrument humming in the case. She must have been in the right place for when she stepped closer, in the blink of an eye, suddenly there was a man standing several feet ahead of her. Immediately, Mara's flight response told her to go and get out of this alley as quickly as possible, but concern and her faith in her father's instrument had her second guessing.
The scent of blood was stronger now, Mara only realized it because the violin indicated as such.

Found you. The violin seemed to purr.

”Found you?! Found who?!" Her panicked gaze settled on the violin case again. No. No. This was wrong. What had possessed the instrument to lead her here to this man? This...he looked like he'd escaped, barely alive, from the scene of a crime...and yet he was still standing.

"...Oh daddy. You can't mean for me to..." It did. Of course the instrument would. She didn’t know what possessed her to do this in the first place, maybe it was because she didn’t have the ability to speak into her phone and call 911 to report. Report what? What could she even begin to report?

Regardless, she hesitated to move despite the violin's urging for her to go forward. Found...Sparda. All right, she got it. She understood it, but for heaven's sake this...this man couldn't truly be what it wanted her to find...this was...it must have been mistaken. There was no way. Mara simply stared at him, uncertain of what to say. Heh. Say.

Then again he spoke first before her hands could even begin to move. "You," He took a step forward and with it Mara took a wary step back. "why...did you save me? How?" Save...him? The confusion on her face was clear, juniper gaze searching this bloodied and battered man for some sort of answer or clarification. For all Mara knew this could have been a trick by Walter Mundy and his associates. It wasn't the first time they had tried to fool her, but then again...this might have been the first time they might have tried to appeal to her humanity. A trick in guise of someone badly injured, seeking to use her concern for others as a means to manipulate her.

All alarms pointed in that direction at least, it should have oozed predictability that this was another scheme of Walter Mundy's. Yet the longer Mara stared at Vergil, the more she was able to see that not even they could be this elabourate with such a display. They stole their musical talents. They weren't going to get hers either. Inhaling deeply, Mara braced herself and decided she would throw caution to the wind. The violin had never steered her wrong. She hoped it wasn't fooled either...

Then again, when you couldn't speak, all of your other senses were heightened. It had been that way for her entire life though. Although this was not the kind of situation she might have thought she would end up with.

Mara took one more step, but this time cautiously raised her hands to show she wasn't armed. Well, she wasn't armed in the traditional sense. She had to gauge whether or not he would understand though before her hands lowered and the brunette was lifting her fingertips to begin signing to him. "You're...hurt, or...so it seems. Do you...require assistance?" Oh yes. That was certainly a smooth question. But Mara had to remind herself, stopping mid movement of her hands to slow the motions. Maybe he didn't understand sign language. Not everyone did of course. Her lips moved to begin mouthing the words as her hands moved in tandem to show she was "speaking" but not in the traditional sense.
Of course he should have needed the help, but that wasn't for Mara to decide for him.

"Please, I-" Mara nearly took another step but realized she needed to take a few back. There was no sense in alarming him. "I just...want to help and...then you can be on your way. I don't want anything...but to just help."
--

No sooner had Dante finished reading over the letter, his phone rang and he strolled back towards his desk before picking up the receiver to answer. "Devil May Cry."

"Well, ain't ever heard you answer the phone this quickly. Tryin' to get hold a ya for a while, but guess that jest my luck when it come to collaboratin' with ya, huh?" Alistair Crest had that one talent of withering at Dante's nerves like a nosy neighbor (well, at least in Dante's opinion). Alistair's voice could best be described as sandpaper being run through someone pouring whiskey. Not an unpleasant voice, but when you were a young devil hunter and the "elders" were "checking in on you", it got old after a while. Crest's voice only had a slight rasp to it, but there was always a musical lilt. "Been holed up in ya shop for some time, thought I might give ya a ring."

The young devil hunter's brow furrowed. "You and I both know ya didn't just call me for that. You're full of shit, Crest. And I should know 'cuz sometimes Morrison is too." Okay. That wasn't always fair to his broker.

"...I'm full of information like your middle man with ya jobs, as a matter a fact, but whether or not that gon' interest ya, it's up to ya." Well now Alistair had Dante's attention.

"Ya know old man, sometimes I wonder if you just like cuttin' in on my business just to get on my nerves. So, what info you got for me exactly? 'Cuz if it's a job, I can get 'em on my own." Okay, maybe he wasn't entirely right, but he wasn't going to ask Crest to help him in that department.

"You in the business of killin' demons. I'm in the business of exorcisin' 'em. There's a bit of a difference, but I kill 'em when its necessary." Dante didn't want to be reminded of that fact, but they'd known each other for this long...

"...So this information you got, it have to do with anything related to this briefcase full of money that just showed up in my office?" Dante moved to sit up on his desk now but there was a brief moment of silence on the phone and it concerned Dante momentarily. "Crest?"

"I ain't know they come to you too." Huh? Wait. What? They'd come to Crest already?

"Whattaya talkin' bout?" There was some apprehension in his tone now. So, his first impression had been right about the money then...

"They send ya a lil' note too huh? We can talk more 'bout it later, I gotta git to a client, but...don't go on no wild goose chase now. You too good for that. Remember, give an' receive, take an' regret." No sooner had the receiver on the other end clicked, movement caught his attention and Dante's right hand immediately snatched up Ebony as a voice spoke his father's name of all things (no surprise though), but judging by the disgust he was expecting a fight.

"Sparda?" What he wasn't expecting was to be face to face with a woman with pink hair and sporting an obvious look of both surprise and disappointment. "No..." Dante eyed Pia cautiously, not taking his hand off the gun as he held it up, aimed but he kept his finger off the trigger. Well, at least she'd come to the realization he wasn't his father. After all, Dante was still cleaning up his father's messes and it was all too common demons mistook him for his father and quite often. "...Not everyday I get someone, a demon no less, lookin' for me..."

"Put something on. I need to talk to you." He arched a brow, tilting his head at the woman before he looked down at the towel wrapped around his waist. "Well, that just might have to be cleared first before I know who exactly is askin' for me and what for exactly. This is my place...ya came in my house and I don't recall hearin' anyone knockin'."

"Only folks that come around here lookin' for either my old man or me either want revenge or they wanna take me off the census for bein' his blood..." He kept hold of Ebony, but the woman seemed more interested in conversation than actually trying to kill him. Dante was timing how long that might take. "...Who's askin'?"

The strange woman was shocked into silence. Vergil felt his annoyance rise, and he was going to interrupt that frustrating silence when she moved and…moved? ‘Is this a spell?’ He knew hand gestures could have power, building energy, but this seemed an unusual method with no chanting or words at all.

There was plenty of blood for a ritual. All his.

Then he realized her lips were starting to move, along with her hands. It made no sense, he was not accustomed to lip reading, and it didn’t dawn on him until partway through that she was speaking. The gestures were sign language, and she was trying to make it evident to him what she was saying by mouthing it, but it didn’t work well.

He could only laugh at his circumstances and place his hand over his face a moment as he continued to do so, before sliding it back through his loose hair. Hell hadn’t provided much in the way of hair gel or hair spray to get it to stay slicked back as he was accustomed to. “I don’t understand,” he didn’t know if she understood him, either, for that matter.

He did at least make sure he was still facing her as he spoke. If she could understand, then she was lip reading which…likely that’s why she thought it would work with him. “But I know you’re trying to speak. And I can sense some power around you,” perhaps not in her, but he still felt a presence of something. It didn’t dawn on him in his haze of pain, blood loss, and confusion that it was coming from an instrument of all things.

Not that Devil Arms as instruments were strange. Nevan had been a shining example of that.

“I need help,” he didn’t know he was answering her questions. Nor did he like to admit it, but she had already helped him, and he knew he had to repay that debt or it would loom over him. He had to repay her, and prove he didn't need that assistance any longer. He would have to get stronger, prove he didn't require aid again...but he already lost that battle, so for now, he'd have to bite back that desire to just stumble out of the alley on his own and get the help. “I’m hurt. Do you have any vital stars? It’s—alchemy.” Fuck was she even going to know what that was? Likely not. He winced and hissed in a breath, “Or—just a place to recover…and understand your role in all of this.” Maybe she could write? He could at least read.

Just his luck, the one who helped him shows up, and he still can’t understand why they helped him and what they wanted from him. He had a debt to repay, though. That much he understood, and he’d have to figure out what was going on.

~***~

The Spawn of Sparda pulled a gun on her. Although Pia did not wish to look upon him in this state, she did have to look back, and redirect her gaze to a wall, for her own safety. Sure, a gun wasn’t likely to do much…but this was a gun in the hands of a cambion that hunted demons. She wasn’t an idiot, no matter how arrogant she was.

Pia kept the gun and it’s holder within sight without directly looking at the man. She did not take her own glaive into sight as an additional threat, or show of power. It was unnecessary. She had folded the glaive down and carried it in her purse, of course, but she had learned quick how well humans took to seeing weapons on the streets. Thankfully, Devil Arms being what they were, it wasn’t too hard to hide some of them once they’d bonded with their wielder.

Some even influenced their demonic forms, bonding to them. So far, the glaive had resisted that. Likely because she resisted it. She hardly needed its addition – but that was a common trait among those of Pride.

‘Father, hm?’

Well, Pia couldn’t deny she wanted revenge on Sparda. “Calm yourself, cambion,” she said, eyes going over the wall and the…decorations. The utter ruin that was this man’s home. How did a person even live like this? “I do detest Sparda but I do not believe children must pay for the actions of their parents.” Would it hurt Sparda? Maybe. It was the wrong way to hurt him, though – only death would bring a proper satisfaction.

A problem for later, if the son wanted to defend his father.

She knew better than to mention wanting to kill Sparda though. Or to think she’d get away with asking his location.

“My name is Pia,” a name that likely meant nothing to him, “misplaced in the human world. I am seeking a way back to Hell, and occult knowledge your father stole when he abandoned hell so I can finish cleaning up the mess he left behind.” It seemed he was leaving messes everywhere. “My apologies for entering your abode – I had thought this was a business.” The apology was sincere at least, although a sigh accompanied it, still exasperated by his inability to change clothes.

“Now will you be civil or shall I go elsewhere for aid?”

The laugh was unexpected, albeit rather sardonic to Mara. The man regarded her with a cynical sort of awareness, that she was signing. Although the moment Mara read the bloodied man's expression, his statement only verified her concern. "I don't understand," Her hands fell in front of her, ceasing their movement. Of course he wouldn't understand. Very few did these days when it came to her openly trying to communicate. The one thing Mara hated was her inability to speak was always being seen as a disability. People had been communicating with sign language and hand gestures since forever, but it was always overshadowed by spoken language.

Well this was going just swimmingly. Juniper hues watched as he lifted his hand, tattered glove pushing back hair stained in crimson. “But I know you’re trying to speak. And I can sense some power around you,” Well, at least he knew she wasn't just flailing her hands about like a madwoman. The violinist was fortunate enough that he could even discern that she had a way to communicate it just wasn't as effective for him to understand. The petite brunette offered a soft huff but warily glanced at the violin case looped over her shoulder. Protectively, she slid a hand over it and her brow furrowed with mild apprehension. Right, she still needed to stay on her guard. "I need help,"

Well, that at least answered her question about his physical well being. "I’m hurt. Do you have any vital stars? It’s—alchemy.” Well, she didn't know what a vital star was, but she knew about the practice of alchemy and what it was. Although no sooner had Vergil mentioned being hurt, Mara couldn't help but give him a poignant stare as if she could very well see the obvious. “Or—just a place to recover…and understand your role in all of this.” Huh? A...a place to recover? Was he staggering now? At first, the young woman warily took another step back from him as Vergil stepped forward but the instrument wasn't indicating she should run nor that the man before her was a threat.

Her father hadn't steered her wrong before, so why would the violin do the same? Taking a deep breath, she cautiously held up a hand for him to stop approaching and she fumbled for her cell phone. Her fingers moved deftly along the keyboards before finally she held up the screen. "...I am unable to physically speak, but I can hear you just fine. That leaves the question of...what you think this "role" is I have." Last Mara checked, she had never met this man before in her life. Although, he had already made mention of needing a place to recover. Cautiously, she slid the phone back into one of her dress pockets before taking a cautious step towards him to gesture and try to see if he would allow her to help steady him. "...Did a man by the name of Walter Mundy have anything to do with your current predicament?"

--

He was taking his time to gauge the woman standing in front of him. He was also counting on her still trying to kill him as most of the women he'd met in his history as a devil hunter. It was obvious that she was a demon, otherwise why else would she know his father's name? "Calm yourself, cambion." He scoffed. "You can call me Dante." He wasn't so ignorant to know when he was being called a half-breed, but that didn't mean he liked it.. “I do detest Sparda but I do not believe children must pay for the actions of their parents.” Well, now, she had his attention and cautiously Dante lowered Ebony. "Well that's certainly a first, 'cuz a lotta demons usually wanna piece of me or to pierce through me. Ain't had any that "didn't believe" in punishin' kids for the shit their parents did." Hey, it wouldn't have been the first time he'd been impaled before...

"My name is Pia," Okay. So she had a name. “misplaced in the human world. I am seeking a way back to Hell, and occult knowledge your father stole when he abandoned hell so I can finish cleaning up the mess he left behind.” He might have had to d a double take and try to register exactly what it was he'd just heard. "...Well that's another first. Never had any demons come to me to help them get back to where they came from. Of course, it's always been unwillingly, but not surprisin' my old man's had a hand in your displacement...a lotta demons got displaced when he decided to make decisions "for the greater good..." Another scoff, clearly Dante wasn't a fan of his own father either. It was a rough subject, considering he partially blamed his father for his mother's death.

“My apologies for entering your abode – I had thought this was a business.” He took a look around the place and it dawned on him that demonic customs might have gotten eschewed a bit. She certainly wasn't like the demons Crest associated with, that was for sure. "It's both." He admitted. "Gotta have a roof over my head somehow. Personal and business, unfortunately, go hand in hand with me." Shrugging his shoulders, he moved to sit back in the leather chair at his desk. "Now, will you be civil or shall I go elsewhere for aid?"

He sighed, running a hand over his face. "Well, ya mentioned bein' here on business. So..." He stood up, hand clutching the towel around his waist. "Gimme a few minutes, just don't try to run me through and we can talk." He was slow to turn away, looking at the door frame in front of him where he'd emerged from the shower. "Ya wanna talk business, I'm gonna get dressed for business..." The briefcase was still sitting on the floor though with all of that money though. "...Wouldn't happen to have dropped off $500,000 would ya? Got another business proposition right before you showed up...was wonderin' if you might be the "deal broker"..."

He offered Pia a wary glance before he sighed. "Right, business." He uttered before disappearing into the bathroom to reappear shortly with pants and boots on this time, but still no shirt. "So...you're tryin' to get back into hell...What's your story?"

The woman could hear. That was somehow obvious by the reaction to the laugh. It wasn’t that she read lips, she heard, she was just unable to speak. And she was afraid, confused, uncertain – things he couldn’t really blame her for, yet it frustrated him all the same when she stepped away, before she regrouped.

She held her hands up, and took out a phone, typed into it and showed him the words. He could read, so this was…as decent a way to communicate as they were going to get right now, he supposed. Until he understood the hand gestures, or the movement of her lips without sounds. ‘You didn’t save me?’

It was possible.

Green eyes weren’t a rarity, although the particular shade, the expressions…it still rung as familiar in his head, but he could have it wrong. Family could have such similar eyes, and he’d been mistaken for his father often enough. Or Dante, when they were younger. He felt his certainty fade.

Perhaps she was truly just in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

And so when she stepped forward and reached out to him, he flinched back and shot her hand a dirty look. He didn’t want to be touched in general, but especially not when he was hurt, and not by someone he now wasn’t certain of. Still, she tried to sign again and he shook his head, irritated more by that when he'd made it clear he didn't understand. Was she mocking him now? Claiming she had nothing to do with this and signing again?

He stepped away from her with a huff, moving his left hand to cover his right shoulder. It didn't help, but it made him feel as if he were standing up a bit straighter. "I saw someone with your eyes save me from Mundus." It was too much of a coincidence for her to show up when he was injured, but it seemed that was exactly what it was. A coincidence. A terrible coincidence. He should know how possible it was. He had a twin, after all, and people mistook him for his own father. It was just his luck. "I presumed it was you when you showed up here, as if you knew I was here, but it seems I was mistaken. I'll find my own way."

Not...easily, admittedly, as turning away caused him to sway a bit, but it was fine! He caught himself on the wall and remained standing. Sure, he didn't know where he was going or where he'd get help but that was a problem for five minutes in the future.

~***~

‘Dante.’ Pia made a note of the name as he gave it, not at all surprised he didn’t like being called cambion. It wasn’t an insult, technically, but who really liked being called by their species and not an individual? She never cared for being called ‘veritas’ much, either. It also seemed that Dante had been living in the shadow of his father’s crimes for quite a while, if plenty came after him.

No surprise, really.

Pia knew plenty who would love to get their hands on the Son of Sparda.

Dante also didn’t sound like a fan of Sparda. A complicated relationship – perhaps even a non-existent one. Sparda was a demon of Wrath, but that didn’t mean he didn’t have a reputation in hell that could have put him in Lust. Perhaps Dante was only one of several children he spawned amongst humanity. He had lived here quite a while.

She wouldn’t speak these thoughts, of course. Complicated relationships were just that – complicated.

At least he was going to be civil, “No, I did not drop off any funds here,” that was a substantial amount, from what she was understanding. Which likely meant Dante had business more important than her situation. A frustrating truth, but one she would have to work with all the same, assuming Dante decided to help her at all.

It didn’t take long for Dante to be…a bit more decent. Not decent enough, but Pia would let it lie without comment. At his question, she did cant her head and arch a brow. ‘What more is there to say?’ Misplaced demon, wanted to go back to Hell. He didn’t need all the gory details, did he? Likely a few more.

“I do not know how aware you are of the true damage that was done, and I daresay you care where it does not impact your life. Sparda chose to seal two would-be gods, Mundus and Argosax. He did little to put a dent in their armies or worshippers, and the seals are breaking.” She folded her arms over her chest – properly covered by blue cowl-neck top – and continued, “No one knows how Sparda sealed him.”

Her father would have known. He had a reputation for being a silver-tongued devil because he wrapped other demons into deals. All Pia knew was it involved full names – a reason she never gave hers, just in case. That was how he led the doppleganger of Envy to his fate, but it was not something that he lived to teach Pia. “No one knows why Sparda chose to seal them over just killing them, either. Except that it’s possible he couldn’t, so he sealed them and fled hoping to never deal with them again.”

And condemning everyone else in hell.

“I want Sparda’s spells. If he has them in a tome, scrolls, if you were simply taught them – I want them. I am certain in them is also a way back to hell, given he sealed hell from the human world, there must be a reversal.”

Last edited:
His staggering did little to quell her nerves as he was clearly injured, but Mara knew that nothing was as it seemed when it came to those who could appear human. The battered and blooded man here was no exception to that rule but the sharp look of hostility she received wasn't much appreciated. Stubbornly, her brow furrowed and she exhaled a raspy little huff of annoyance. "I saw someone with your eyes save me from Mundus." Mundus? It wasn't a name that the violinist had ever heard before but the familiarity of it who she thought it might have been connected to certainly narrowed it down. Walter Mundy likely had gone under many an alias in the human world, why would it be any different in the realm of demons? Then again, Mara was also trying to avoid her thoughts going 100 miles a minute with this revelation of someone with the same coloured eyes as her...who existed in the demon realm. Her father wasn't always merciful when it came to demons, but she'd never known him to be cruel to those he sensed needing help.

She had been young when her mother and father had "died" in that accident but she never attended the funeral because there wasn't one to be had and her aunt did not see it fit to put her through it and especially not when her mother's side of the family was as narrow-minded to the idea of demons and one of their six children being gay. Subjecting Mara to the ire and religious bigotry was not up for discussion. Emma and Carole had left West Virginia and never looked back for very obvious reasons.

"I presumed it was you when you showed up here, as if you knew I was here, but it seems I was mistaken. I'll find my own way." As he stumbled along, barely holding himself together, Mara gave a squeak of concern when he swayed and easily caught up to him, despite the shaking of her knees. The anxiety was all coming back to her now, but she had a different focus.

This was much too elabourate of a set up for Mundy to have even cooked up, let alone executed. It would certainly have been something different but she didn't much see how a man, much less a demon, could have simply "escaped" without some interference. She fumbled for her phone again, taking it out to show him the next slew of words on the notepad section of her screen. "I do not know one by that name...but I know of a man, a maestro, called Walter Mundy. You are more than welcome to find your own way, but I would not find it very fitting if I did not offer you assistance with recovering until you do."

Ughhh. What was she even saying? Every bit of survival that she knew was now caution all thrown to the wind, but the man had piqued her curiosity as well as he concern. "Please...let me help you and you can be on your way...I want nothing from you...I just want to help."

--

“I do not know how aware you are of the true damage that was done, and I daresay you care where it does not impact your life. Sparda chose to seal two would-be gods, Mundus and Argosax. He did little to put a dent in their armies or worshipers, and the seals are breaking.”
He offered Pia a skeptical look, giving a soft huff of air at the mention of Mundus. Wow. Had it been two years since Mallet Island already? He wrinkled his nose. "Well, I can confirm one that won't be comin' back any time soon. The so-called "would-be king" of Hell, Mundus, sent him packin' 'bout two years ago where he was hidden out on the deserted Mallet Island. Dunno if that'll give ya little more peace of mind, but then again...they always say they're gonna "be back." So, as far as the whole "never dealin' with 'em again" part, yeah. For Sparda, sure. For me though? Not so much."

Dante leaned back in his chair, glancing at the picture of his mother on the desktop before he laid it face down for a moment. "As for the other one ya mentioned, Argosax? Can't say I've had the displeasure of encounterin' 'em...yet. But you'd be wrong to assume that I wouldn't care 'bout their shit impactin' my life. See, that's the beauty of it all..." The self-deprecation was very much real and he couldn't help but offer Pia a sardonic chuckle. "...They always come back wantin' a piece a my ass, just 'cuz they think it'll be worth it for 'em. They wanna chase the ghost of the Demon Knight...and nothin' else. Kind of a pathetic existence for 'em, wouldn't ya say? No life expectations other than that. And I'm a problem 'cuz I just exist."

“No one knows why Sparda chose to seal them over just killing them, either. Except that it’s possible he couldn’t, so he sealed them and fled hoping to never deal with them again.”
Sighing, he ruffled a hand through his hair noticing it was still damp from the shower. "Can't say it ain't par for the course with my old man in terms of leavin' unfinished business," He gestured to himself with a smirk. "I mean, look at me. He's gone. No responsibility taken up for all the shit he left behind and I gotta clean it up..." Idly, Dante started taking apart Ebony in front of Pia as he started cleaning the gun. Ivory sat in front of his phone. He needed something on hand just in case he couldn't get to Rebellion in time.

"So, what does a demon from whichever layer of hell you report to want from the Son of Sparda exactly? Gotta say, you're the first woman that's come into my place and not tried to kill me..." Yet. Yet was the key word.

“I want Sparda’s spells. If he has them in a tome, scrolls, if you were simply taught them – I want them. I am certain in them is also a way back to hell, given he sealed hell from the human world, there must be a reversal.” Oh. Well, this was going to be awkward. Dante had to avoid laughing, lest he seem like he was intentionally being an asshole. The look on his face though probably said more than him not saying anything though. "...You...think my father taught me everything he knew about sealing demons away?" Oh yes. This was going to be very awkward. "So...Pia, it was Pia, right?" Ebony was cleaned and put back together in a matter of minutes. "Lemme ask you somethin', you got a dad? An old man you have a uh..."good" or "respectable" relationship with? Could even be a "love/hate" one. Might not seem relevant to where I'm gettin' at, but...ya know. Most kids (hell, maybe even demons), ideally, should have been taught lots of things by their parents...and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I didn't get that far in the short time my father decided to be present in my childhood...before he up and disappeared by the time I was about 8. Don't wanna say that askin' me 'bout anythin' he left behind like spells, scrolls, or anythin' like that is like lookin' for a needle in a haystack. 'Cuz the only thing he left behind for me was this," He gestured to the amulet hanging around his neck and nudged his head to the sword sticking out of the wall behind him. "And that...otherwise, I got nothin' in that department."

But she had come here on business and he rubbed the back of his neck, pondering for a moment. "But just 'cuz I don't have that knowledge or information doesn't mean I can't introduce you to someone who might have a better idea on seals and the like." He offered a cautious glance to the briefcase on the floor. "I know a guy who dabbles in contracts with demons, he'd know more 'bout handlin' seals and stuff than me. It's kinda his specialty."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back