• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Dark Travelers - Become the Dark Lord's Champion, or Overthrow His Empire (CLOSED)

K0mori

Servant Supreme
Dark Travelers Alt.png

The World of Nion, Year 735 of the Third Histories Calendar
It is said that Briggun was exiled to the Malenchanted Woods in 718 after admitting that he had fallen in love with a fey woman named Herasa. This was a crime for anyone on the royal court of Canar. Briggun, being a warlock in service to the King, was threatened that if he or any member of his “accursed household” were to return to Canaresch, they would be put to death. 7 years later, Briggun’s son, Johas, ignored his father’s warnings and attempted to make contact with the judges of Canar in hopes of convincing them to revise their ruling. Instead, the authorities of Canaresch put Johas to death, enraging Briggun and prompting his return, which ultimately led to the fall of Canar and the creation of the Saarus Empire...

What is "The Dark Travelers?"

Dark Travelers is a hybrid nation-building/character RP set in a high-fantasy world where an evil warlock named Briggun has forged an evil empire. His lieutenants (the players) are tasked with conquering the surrounding lands and expanding the Saarus Empire to the farthest reaches of the known world. Briggun expects excellence from his subjects, unwavering commitment, and brutality when required. He also expects to live on forever as the world's eternal Dark Lord. That, however, is up to you; perhaps Briggun is merely the prelude to your eternal reign. Whatever comes of this age of chaos, expect the do-gooders of the world to mount a valiant, perhaps foolish, resistance. You must crush them.

How do I play?
You will need a character to serve as one of Briggun's lieutenants. This character will be given an army at the beginning of the game with which they may attack neighboring territories and expand the empire. As the military governor of these new lands, you will need to give guidance on their transformation into a loyal (to you) vassal territory in each turn. Between turns, your character is free to interact with other players' characters, NPCs, or to explore leads which might result in great fortune or misfortune in your near-future. Perhaps a powerful artifact is hidden within your territory. The only way to know is to explore.

Along with cumulative stats such as army size, economic strength, and technological prowess, you will also gain "Cards" which can be played ahead of turns to increase your chances of prevailing in war. For example, you may follow a lead which results in a local cult declaring you its savior. Later, when your enemies think you are cornered, you play the cultists Card to summon your religious devotees, whose sacrifice leads to your unlikely triumph.

There are three planned Acts to this story, and gameplay will vary in each act. New rules will be explained when they become relevant, and discussion/clarification will happen on my group's Discord server (link available upon completion of a character sheet w/ request).

What sort of character should I play?
That's up to you! The tone of this game will be dark comedy, as becoming the Dark Lord is quite a dirty business. Your character can be an adult of any race, background, or gender identity. Please complete a character sheet in the following thread: Nation Building - The Dark Travelers - Characters

When will the game begin?
I am hoping to launch the game thread on 10/31- Halloween, of course! Until then, I invite you to reserve a spot and ask questions in this thread, and post character completed sheets in the above-posted character thread. As players submit their characters and backstories, the skeletal lore of this game's world will be fleshed out, and soon, a map will be created. I look forward to establishing this world with you all!

The game is getting full, everyone. We already have about ten character applications submitted. Games like this tend to lose a few players in the opening weeks, though, so if you have expressed interest in joining already, I'll accept your application.

I'll get mine written up after work. Just was reading the others before I generated own concept.

I've gone ahead and marked the game as closed to newcomers. Again, if you have already expressed interest, you can still submit your character application in the characters thread. Thank you everyone!

I’m thinking of joining, anything I should know before hand?
Go ahead and have a look at the character thread and try to create a character that would fit in a similar setting. I'm currently creating a map and timeline that will take into account the backstories of everyone's characters, which is proving to be an extensive undertaking. Once you post a character application, if you're in, then I'll send you an invite to our Discord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back