• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy ☾The Dark Carnival☽ Open and Accepting!

Papa Emeritus

Mummy Dust
781B3E3C-13DD-492F-889D-724F0ADB3D59.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Please read the overview and post a charter form and wait for acceptance before posting!

The Ringmaster looked around the carnival grounds. His clowns were hurrying about setting all kinds of tents up. He watched as one clown fell from the top of the pole and hit the ground with a thud. The Ringmaster let out a small sigh as the clown jumped back to his feet and ran back to his work. The clowns did their best to stay out of the Ringmasters way as he made his way back to his tent.

Inside his tent, the Ringmaster sat at his desk and rapped his nails on his old desk. He awaited the arrival of the first visitor to his carnival.

Nicholas, in his groggy state from waking up, stumbles closer to the Carnival. Nicholas hesitantly walks through the entrance, and is jolted further awake as a loud thud is heard. He heads toward where the thud was heard. Nicholas pulls a cigarette out of his jacket, when he stops mid-way as he notices a bunch of clowns staring at him. "I thought clowns were supposed to be funny?" Nicholas murmurs to himself.

The Ringmaster stared into his crystal ball, monitoring his carnival grounds. He watched as Nicholas stumbled into the carnival and sparked up a cigarette. My first visitor, I should go say hello. He thought to himself. He slowly rose from his seat and walked to the entrance of his tent. He peaked into his full length mirror, smoothed out his tux jacket and made his way out of the tent.

He soon found Nicholas, he knew the grounds like the back of his wrinkly hand. Coming up behind him he placed one hand on his shoulder. "You know, smoking is a very dangerous habit..."

Nicholas takes a puff of his cigarette, releasing a cloud of smoke. He gives a light chuckle "Hasn't killed me yet." "Nice place you have here. Name's Nicholas."

He uses up the last of his cigarette. "I gotta say, this is a bit of a surprise, considering that his Carnival was an empty lot just yesterday."

"Oh I'd be careful, eventually it will." He looked around the carnival at Nicholas's mention of how quickly the place sprung up. "Yes, it's a bit magical isn't it? My clowns are very dedicated workers, they just love doing what they do. I'd say they'd do it all their lives if they could." Of course, the clowns didn't have much of a choice either way. They belonged to the Ringmaster and had to do everything he pleased, it was in the contract. No clown has dared to break it yet, they all fear of what the ringmaster is capable of. He laughed and clapped his hands together. He walked around Nicholas and looked into his eyes with his coal black eyes, there was no white to be seen. "It's a bit late though isn't it? Who should be up and about at this time of night?"

Another clown fell from the top of the pole as they were pitching up their show tent. The Ringmaster chuckled and watched as other clowns ran to his aid. "I believe I haven't introduced myself yet. I am the Ringmaster. It's a pleasure to meet you." He put out his hand to shake.

Nicholas firmly shakes The Ringmasters hand. "Well, I couldn't help but hear a familiar tune, so I got up and looked outside. Funnily enough, there used to be a Carnival at this very same spot thirteen years ago, had the same tune and everything, save for the darker tone."

The clown falling startled Nicholas, though the sound was familiar. "I've gotta say, your clowns don't seem very cheerful." he says as he watches the other clowns prop up the fallen clown.

"Anyhow, sorry to just stumble in. The place doesn't look like it's open so I'll just come back another time."

"Ah, yes I operate using 'sad clowns', who has ever heard of those? Just trying to be different. Id say it's what attracts my crowds. People love to see weird things. That's why I run the biggest freak show on the world. People come from miles just to see what I have." He shrugged. Seemed like Nicholas needed to have a closer look at the clowns to see their full features. "Oh don't leave, let me give you a VIP tour. Maybe you'll meet some of my favorite clowns." He put his arm around his shoulders and motioned in front of them.

"Sort of like a backwards Carnival, huh?" The idea of a carnival with sad clowns and dark environments interested Nicholas. "A VIP tour? Sounds great!" Nicholas lights another cigarette as he walks by The Ringmaster, when the lighter ignited, he took notice of The Ringmasters terrifying face. "They really didn't half-ass the costumes" Nick thinks to himself. He notices the overall look of the Carnival gets creepier and creepier the further they go.

At the lighting of his next cigarette he pulled out his pipe and smoked that along with Nicholas. "Exactly, a backwards carnival..." He trailed off as he walked. He first led Nicholas to the big red show tent. There were a few spotlights to assist the clowns in putting it together. "Now this is my show tent, this is where I hold the freak shows. I'm still working on getting them together but I do have a few things planned." A clown walked up to the Ringmaster with a clipboard and a pen. The Ringmaster took the pen and clipboard and began reviewing what was written making the occasional mhm. "Yes yes that's fine." He signed the paper and gave it back. The clown came close enough to reveal his mouth to Nicholas. The Ringmaster looked over at him to see if he had anything to say about it.

Nicholas was startled at the sight of the clown's mouth. There were stitches lined across his mouth. Nick cocked an eyebrow "Do all clowns have stitches like this?" he says as he turns to look at The Ringmaster. A chill ran up Nick's spine as he saw the ear-to-ear grin The Ringmaster was sporting.

"They sure do. If you become a frequent visitor you'll learn more about them. Clown lore I guess you can call it." He put his hand on Nicholas' back and led him away from the show tent. "Now over here is where my freaks will be housed. They're still in transport so the clowns haven't set their living areas up yet. They should be here soon though." He then led Nicholas to his large black tent. "This is where you will usually find me, this is my home. Feel free to come inside and say hello."

He then took Nicholas past the entrance and to the left, where a handful of clowns were testing rides. Each ride had a largely lit sign with the name of the ride. Off to the side of the ride entrance there was a sign with a story about the ride. "Read those signs when you have the chance, it might interest you." After visiting the rides, the tour concluded.

"Well, that's all I have so far. Soon we will have vendors and shows, rides will be open to ride. Any questions?" He clapped his hands together and raised a painted eyebrow.

(I'll do both for now :) )

"No, don't Jason!" I don't want to be here!" Dinah said feverishly, dragging her foot to stop him.

"Come on Dinah. This is where we need to be." Jason replied, urging them forward quicker.

"I don't want to be in a place where I'd be called a freak!" Dinah replied.

A week prior, Jason found a flyer about a carnival looking to recruit 'freaks'. Dinah thought Jason had dismissed it, but when he singlehandedly dragged them out of bed; she knew he hadn't. Nearing closer to lights and large black circus tents, they heard unsynchronized, disfigured carnival music.

'This place is giving me the chills,' Dinah thought. Jason looked forward steadily, the possibility of freedom blocking all doubts.

"Look, just go back to the Foster's place. It's... It's okay there." Dinah said unconvincingly.

When they made it in macabre clowns smiled threateningly at the pair. Dinah punched at her brother's chest.

'Why'd I have to be stuck to this idiot?!' She thought.

Smiling, Jason kept forward until they saw an official-looking man and a teen with a cigarette.

"Hello." Jason said as he and Dinah walked up to the men.

Dinah hissed and looked down, clenching her teeth.

Ophelia groaned as she slowly regained her footing. "The hell..." She muttered, trying to focus on the large tent in front of her. She wobbled towards to tent with a confused from etched on her face. She walked towards a man with a cigarette in hand and a creepy looking fellow with a large grin "Explain please." She hissed, her eyes turning into slits from suspicion.

The Ringmaster looked at the three people trying to speak to him. "Okay okay, one at a time." He turned to Jason and Dinah, "okay you two first. Hello. What is it I can do for you? Are you looking to join my wonderful carnival?" He looked over at Ophelia and smiled, "I'll be right with you." The Ringmaster was excited to be meeting these freaks, it meant that he would be able to advertise something new, something that would hopefully bring more visitors to his Carnival.

I watched from above (on the trapese swing) the Ringmaster talking to some new people. 'I wounder if they are here to join or to watch' i thought to myself. I swung myself onto the platform then jumped 20 metres down and landed behind the Ringmaster. I walked up beside him and said nothing as i wanted to just watch what was going on close up unless the Ringmaster says other wise.

[QUOTE="Papa Emeritus]The Ringmaster looked at the three people trying to speak to him. "Okay okay, one at a time." He turned to Jason and Dinah, "okay you two first. Hello. What is it I can do for you? Are you looking to join my wonderful carnival?" He looked over at Ophelia and smiled, "I'll be right with you." The Ringmaster was excited to be meeting these freaks, it meant that he would be able to advertise something new, something that would hopefully bring more visitors to his Carnival.

[/QUOTE]
Jason inclined his head, and said "Yes. I'm Jason, and this is my sister Dinah."

Jason opened his mouth to continue his sentence, but Dinah broke him off, saying "No. He is interested. I'm just stuck to the idiot. I do not want to be here!" She took her arm and punched at Jace's stomach, which he ignored.

"My sister is a bit... touchy on the subject. Sorry." Jason said shrugging with his shoulder. Dinah childishly pouted, looking towards the floor.

"It's very nice to meet you Jason and Dinah. I promise that this place will treat you better than anywhere else would. We can continue our discussion in my tent if you like. That's where I like to do all of my official work." He motioned towards his tent. He turned to begin walking to his tent until he remembered about Nicholas and Ophelia. "You two may come to the tent if you like, there are some seat outside. I'll come out to talk to the two of youonce my discussion with Jason and Dinah is over. Maybe you two can make friends with one another. Nightmare, come along!"

Back inside his tent, the Ringmaster waited for Jason and Dinah. In the corner of his tent he had a swing quite a bit off the ground for Nightmare to sit on while he was working. He watched as the sun began to rise through the opening of his tent. Inside of him, an excitement was growing. These freaks we're freaks he had never once encountered and he was just running idea after idea through his head on what he could get them to act. He looked up to Nightmare and smiled, maybe now she'd get some rest from performing.

I looked up at the Ringmaster and smiled. "don't worry" i said. "I don't need to rest. I only need 1-2 hours rest and i already did that." I looked at Jason and Dinah. She looked angry. "So..." i said as i walked over to them. "You wanna join the carnival? or not?!" i said as i peeked over and watched the Ringmaster thinking.

Dinah looked up to her brother's features, marked with determination. 'No getting out of this one..' She thought. 'He really does look happy.' Deciding to be a bit more positive, Dinah said "Alright. Let's go, brother."

He looked down towards her, and smiled easily. "I knew you'd cool off."

The two walked towards the tent of the ringmaster, and Jason pushed away the flappy doors as they walked in. They were met with a nice office, complete with a trapeze swing in the corner. A little girl, apparently called Nightmare stared up at them. In reply to her question, Jason said "Yes. I do- and Dinah will, in time. She just has to cool her big head."

"Yours is bigger." Dinah mumbled. There was a seat in the tent, obviously intended for visitors such as them to use. It was too narrow for the two though, so they stood, waiting for the ringmaster to address them.

The Ringmaster clasped his hands together and smiled at Dinah and Jason. "So, I guess we shall just jump right into your contract?" He snapped his fingers together and clasped in his other hand appeared a piece of worn looking paper. He pushed the paper close to them and put two pens down.

"By signing this paper, the two of you agree to perform for my carnival. You will not be allowed to leave the carnival once you do sign, you will be bound to this place. Your living costs such as food, clothing and housing will be covered by me. All I ask for is that you guys perform at least once weekly." He got up from his seat and walked over to a large cabinet where he stored his alcohol. "A celebratory drink maybe? What do you two like?"

i then started to swing upside down. "may i have a drink? a non alcoholic one of course"

Thinking the sleight of hand was cool, Jace eagerly grabbed a pen and began to write his name. Dinah hesitated, looking at her brother. 'The things I do for you...' She thought, then grasped the pen and signed her name.

"Um, no alcohol for us as well, please." Dinah said, indicating for the nonalcoholic.

"No, little sister. Get me some burbon!" Jace said, enjoying his night of rebellion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back