• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Colony

Upon hearing the girl with the first aid kit ask about the time Nikolai looked at his wrist and checked his watch. Of course it had to be broken. A military grade watch that had seen him through eight years of conflict had finally died. With a sigh he looked up and said "Well its either fourteen-hundred hours or ten-hundred hours depending on which way is north. I think its safe to bet we have a good five or six hours before sundown at least.." Nikolai trailed off as he realized that the number of people he had seen upon waking up had gone down by one. He rubbed his chin and eventually said "Someone is missing. I woke up first and counted everyone twice. Someone is definitely missing."

Jack remained indecisive for a heartbeat longer but eventually decided that the jig was up. The injured girl had already seen him and would doubtless tell Nikolai once she finished being bandaged up by the Cello player. If he lingered in hiding any longer than that, it would look suspicious and he may lose his chance to join with the others. After all, there was no way he was going to survive in the 'Zone' by himself without help no matter how high his survival skills were. He needed help and if these people were hostile ... well, he would have doubtless seen signs of it already.

Clenching his knife hard in his fist just in case he was wrong, Jack eased out from the shadows and regarded the lead guy with a look of bold impasse as though he had been there but missed the entire time. The bag he had snatched from the pallet was slung haphazardly over one shoulder while he held the now empty brief case in his free hand. Other than that he had nothing to the world and certainly nothing else to lose.

"
No. We're all here. Sorry about the wait. I didn't think it prudent to let anymore strangers get the drop on me after what happened. Though as we're all pretty much walking dead men anyways, I guess it doesn't matter very much."

He looked around at the others and then over towards the trenches dug into the ground. They had been talking about trying to shelter the night in there. They'd be in trouble if any kind of precipitation went through, but he could see no fault with the logic as they needed a good fire anyways. Hypothermia was a much more real danger exposed to the elements than any wolves, bears, or animal.

"
I'll start gathering wood for the fire, I suppose. I'll need a helper to dig out the hole to keep it covered."

Though if they were lucky, they'd find a good rotted tree that they could simply kick off to expose a good deep hole for them to use as well as provide some deadwood to neutralize the smell of greens. It'd do for the night though they really needed some kind of tarp or covering just in case it did drop down on them.

Deus looked at the man joining the group back again. "If so, someone with a weapon needs to join you. Nickolai, I suggest you do so." He turns to the rest of the group. "Unless anyone else has a better idea on what we should do."

Marquist could not help but chuckle sightly not that any of this situation was really funny. though he found it very ironic. This girl with a bad injury and there all being in The Zone and she could remark that he was very tall. Indeed she was right he was very tall after all. but he brushed that all aside. He really needed to get this wound being treated properly. First he needed to get her set down so he could better work on the wound. "I'm going to help you down just keep your leg straight and I'll help you take care of it. OK?" Marquist got himself under one of her arms opposite of her injured leg, and helped her to the ground, being sure that she could keep her leg straight. Once he got her to the ground he checked the belt around her leg again and made sure it was tight still. He took a closer look at the injury it looked pretty bad, after all Marquist's medical experience was from Boy Scouts. So he could treat the wound more or less but it would not be perfect. Marquist took of his sweater and tore it into strips he only had his shirt underneath now so it might be a little cold tonight but she needed a bandage more then he needed to be warm. Marquist grabbed his cello and brought it over close to the girl and handed her the bow. "I'm gonna pull out the shrapnel but I need you to do something else. Have you ever played the cello?" Before she could answer or even had much time to think about it he grabbed the Shrapnel and pulled it out he quickly covered it with one of the strips of his sweater he tied another piece over it and used the belt to increase pressure until the bleeding would stop.

@WantYourSoul

Sam looks perplexed by this man's laughter."What?" She asks as he helps her down.The movement causes a stab of pain through her body and she bites back a pathetic whimper. She digs her fingers into his arm and squeezes her eyes shut.

"Wh-what about the woman with the kit?" Masami asks dumbly, staring at the bow as this man begins ripping up his sweater."You'll be awfully cold," she murmurs dazedly, turning the piece over between her fingers.

The pain that burns through her leg causes Masami to choke on a cry. The woman curls forward with a strangled gasp. The words she was mumbling were certainly not English. The pain had ebbed slightly, but this was the worst injury she'd ever received and Sam is a baby about pain. She must look pathetic.

@Calibutcher

Nickolai thought for a moment and shook his head "I think you (Deus) and Dylan should pick a good shelter, while Lucy, Ninja boy over there (Jack), and I go check those pallets for.." his voice trailed off into the overcast air as the sound of a wolf howling echoed deep across the ruined battlefields. The howl brought on a short silence followed by a savage chorus of howls from the same direction. Aftet a pregnant and ominous silence Nickolai finally spoke again "Looks like its going to be a rough night." He hopped off the BTR and walked down a set of dug out stairs into a trench. He came to the door he had pointed to earlier and opened it, the musty smell hit him but it seemed suprisingly dry for an underground fortification. It was certainly large enough for everyone and even had a fireplace with a chimney going out through the roof. He walked back outside and started making his way to the nearest pallet.

Jack looked up and let his eyes roam the desolate landscape as a low, mournful howl shattered the otherwise deafening silence. He remained motionless and still as a few answering calls went up after it though seemingly further off in that same direction. He listened for a moment, counting the seconds, and then looked back towards Nikolai with a concerned expression. He'd follow along behind with his blade still in hand though he did not cease in his careful watch over the area, his boots fading into almost a noiseless gait out of habit. As he walked, his thoughts drifted back towards the note now crumpled in his breast pocket. It had mentioned wolves, had it not? Of course, that probably wasn't the only danger as far as the 'Zone' was concerned. It was rumored that whole platoons of soldiers and scientists, top men in their fields, were wiped out somewhere in this shithole and never came back. If other things and dangers were lurking out there, he better get used to picking off a few wolves and hope that that was all that they saw for awhile.

When they arrived into the trenches, Jack looked about quickly before placing the bag he had stolen as well as the empty briefcase on the floor next to the lopsided doorway. He'd then follow along behind Nikolai for awhile before alerting the guy as to what was on his mind.

"
You want the good news or the bad first? Nah, you know what? Let's start with the good. The fact that there are wolves out there must mean there is game nearby. Wolves have to eat just like we do. The bad news is that they're closer than they appear. I saw it plenty of times when hunting in the mountains. When hunting, wolves will keep their snouts low to the ground to confuse their prey before braying at each other like that. It makes'em sound farther away than they actually are while keeping contact with the pack, see? But we gotta while to worry about them. They don't typically make no attacks during the day. Gotta conserve energy."

He was silent for a moment as they reached the pallet and he knelt down beside it, his eyes drifting over the twisted hunks of war machines and metal that dotted the landscape.

"
What do ya suppose is out there? Other than them wolves, I mean. You got the look of a Russian. Seems like you'd know more about than anyone here. Oh yeah, by the way, the name's Jack - not Ninja."

Jack looked up at the guy and waited for question were starting to go on in his mind again. Like why the hell would the governments of the world want to colonize this shit hole anyways? What'd they think was out there? Why'd they only pick a hand full of people to do it? What happened to all the others who had come before them? There were a lot of funny rumors about funny shit happening out in the 'Zone' because of the nuclear strikes. Strange phenomena and the like. He wondered how much of it was true.

@Petronov

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucy just stood there doing nothing as Nickolee, Nicholeye, Nick? Nick. and "Ninja guy" walked to the pallets and started talking about wolves. "Great wolves, just what everyone needs.",she thought. Wild animals means danger, especially since they need food. Food can mean plants, people, or people food. Right, people food. To counteract this, you would have to outsmart the animal, correct? Yes, right. Most people hang their food, some bury it, but those end up getting eaten. Did they even have food? Were they going to live? "Now I'm just thinking too much, just go ahead and catch up with what's been happening.", she thought. Lucy ran to catch up with the others, slightly cringing as the rocks and shrapnel penetrated her feet. Hopefully there would be something for shoes in one of the pallets.

@Petronov @Whisker

When Nickolai reached the first pallet, a quick look revealed construction materials. They were not a top priority so he tried to see which pallet further away had food or water in it. He was listening silently to the man who had introduced himself as 'Jack' talk while they walked. When Jack said something about Nickolai being Russian he scoffed a little and said "Everyone gets Ukrainians and Russians mixed up." and continued walking to the next pallet. This one was loaded with boxes, upon opening one, it revealed that it was half full of MREs and the other half was full of bottles of water. He picked up the box and asked Jack to grab another one. He began the walk back to the others.

Jack shrugged and jumped to his feet immediately when the box before them yielded unfavorable results. His thoughts were mostly still on finding out about the surrounding area as well the mysteries in the 'Zone' itself. He was hunter by trade so it was in his nature to be a little bit concerned about the elements around them. Especially now that he might never see the lush valleys of the Canadian wilderness ever again.

"
Easy mistake to make."

He kept close to the guy's flank and picked up the box when asked. He then looked over towards the next one and turned towards the medical girl who had followed them thus far.

"
Hey you, check that one out will ya? I'll watch your back."

Not that he had a lot of choice. He didn't have his beloved shotgun out here, but he was the only one other than Nik who had anything remotely resembling a weapon. He didn't expect anything to happen while they were still within eyesight of the main bulk, but one never knew.

@Petronov @Amerikia1126

Marquist was saddened to hear the girl whimper at the pain. He did not want to hurt her but she needed to get this shrapnel out of her leg. He pulled tight on the belt he had put around her leg. He had to do so to help the bleeding stop. "I'm sorry just hang in there. This won't take long."Marquist wanted to change the subject. "So what is your name?"

Shortly after his question he heard the Wolves howl. It sent a slight shiver down his spine, He did not want to have to deal with Wolves but he figured that he was In a big enough group of people that they probably would not bother them. Then again he wasn't to sure about that, the Zone was shrouded in mystery and superstition but now he was actually here in the Zone and he had no idea what to expect. Where any of the Rumors true? Or was this just a wasteland? Marquist cleared his head and got back to what he was doing looking at the wound the bleeding was stoping which was a releif, he tightens the makeshift bandage on her leg and slightly loosened the belt. He sat there keeping a close eye on it.

@WantYourSoul

Lucy opened the pallet and stared at the contents inside. There were a couple of big looking guns and some more first aid kits in the crate, much like her own. She placed the medical supples inside her bag and brought one of the guns with her. With all of these supplies, it would definitely take a while to get them all sorted out. She walked in the direction that Nick had gone. As an afterthought, she asked ninja guy, "What's your name?" and continued back towards the main group. If they had given them weapons, then that means there was something or somethings in the zone that meant them harm. Everyone had heard the rumors, but were they really true? All they had heard so far were wolves howling, but that didn't mean there were mutated creatures here? What if there was even some radiation left? But wouldn't they have noticed? "Stop thinking, I'm just freaking myself out. Just get ahold of yourself and keep going.", Lucy mentally lectured herself.

@Petronov @Whisker

Deus nodded to Nikolai before looking around for Dylan. Once he had spotted her, he motioned her over. "C'mon, I'll lead." With that, he began walking into the darkness of the Zone. Without the lights from the safe side of the wall and the sun, the area would be darker than a charcoal sky. Deus would manage though; perception was only a strong point of his. Big or small, he could always tell a lie from a truth, tell two pictures apart. Just a little gift he stowed away unless needed.

Deus scanned the area, looking for buildings without shrapnel and punctures covering them. Sadly, it looked like there wasn't a single building in sight that fit the description. He sighed with frustration. "Ah shit, this isn't working." He said, running his fingers though his hair. "Dylan, I think we should split up to cover more ground in less time. If something bad happens, or you find a shelter, run back to the group at the wall. I'll do the same. As soon as the that sun starts setting, you rush to that damn wall. Sound good?" He asked and turned Dylan's way, waiting for approval. Even without it, he felt it was in the group's best interest to find a shelter as son as possible.

(Warning: I vaguely describe her wound. Don't read if that sort of thing freaks you out(

Masami's nods pathetically with a whimper from the movement of her injured leg."Its okay... And I am Ito Masami," her voice came out weak and strained. The injured woman tilts her head back to gaze at the man with wet eyes "Your name?"

The howls startled her and she grabs at her chest. Sam hates dogs."Didn't we learn about the dire wolves in school? Ah, ow!" Pain comes flooding back to her as that man tightens the bandage on the flayed and swollen bits of her injury. She was lucky the artery was intact, and that the painful numbness spreading across her thigh and turning the flesh white. The area around the wound was a sickly whitish blue. It was a good thing Sam hasn't looked at it or shed probably scream. Or faint. Or both. Probably both.

@Calibutcher

"A pleasure to meet you Masami I am Marquist" He finally let his eye off the wound as it seemed it was going to be OK now, at least the bleeding had stopped Marquist sat down next to her."it's a shame we could not have meet under better circumstances, How are you feeling anyway?" Marquist moved is cello so it would lay perpendicular to him on the ground he wanted to keep it close it was one of the familiar things he had with him. The other being the Wedding ring he was going to present to his girlfriend he did not want to acknowledge but he felt the bulge of the box it was in sitting in his pocket. he shifted his attention from it thinking about that right now was not going to help at all. But he did not know what to think about yet so many emotions swirled around in him it seemed to blot every thing else out. SO he awaited an answer from Masami instead hoping to distract himself with conversation at least.

Misami nods, mentally setting the consonants in his name to sound less Japanese. She wanted to pronounce it properly."I doubt we would have met in any other circumstances. And I think I'm better... It hurts like hell, but I think if I just don't look at it I'll be fine. I feel awfully lightheaded. Thank you again, Marquist," she says softly, pronouncing his name slightly off (Maa-key-iss). The shock of the injury fading and letting her react a little more coherently, albeit she still didn't seem all there with that glassy gaze and chalky visage. Her red skirt had become stiff and sticky with blood, and the white shirt she had on was covered in sweat and dirt as well. Masami can't even wear anything pretty without it getting wrecked.

Looking over the two of them, the woman begins to laugh."I guess we will both be cold tonight. My sweater was in my bag, and you used yours to bandage me up.

X

@Calibutcher

"I'm not worried about the cold I'm used to it I'm just wondering how a cellist is supposed to be any good back here, Like why would they pick me for this experiment? I'm not a leader I'm not a survivalist I am a dang good cellist though. but that's about it. Marquist stood up he did not like sitting on the ground and he wanted to see how the others were doing. From what he could see everything was fine there was no panicking no yelling They were all just gathering supplies and taking inventory. He was curious to know what the pallets had and was tempted to go and look for himself but decided it would be better to wait so he would not mess up the plan. He did notice one girl was still unconscious which was kinda sad to see he hoped she was OK. Maybe they over drugged her a bit. "Do you think you will be able to walk Misami? It looks like they won't be much longer so were probably gonna have to move you."

"Morale? I like music... You should play sometime. Another question I have is why would they choose me? I'm a failing French student, I'm scared of the dark and the only thing I'm really good at is engineering," she says, peering into the hazy distance to look for the others.

Suddenly Marquist stands and Sam is startled back into paying attention."Move? I..." She trails off, beginning to bend her knee. She gasps in pain and bites on her knuckles to keep from crying out."I don't think I can yet. Could you help me, please? Or find me something to balance on," she says weakly, waiting until the worst of the pain had abated before continuing," I hope there's something for pain in those. Or alcohol." Sam lied about the alcohol. She had never tried it before, but had seen in TV shows how injured people drink brandy or something.

@Calibutcher

"Morale sounds like a good a reason as any to me. I actually have a couple sheets of music with me. Whoever dropped us off here must be a music lover as well." Marquist shifted nervously she was scared of the dark he was too. But he did not know if admiting that would be a good thing he decided to admit it anyways. "I'm actually scared of the dark too and I really don't like silence." Marquist watched as she cringed in pain from trying to stand she would need a crutch later but for now he would help her. He bent down and gingerly helped her up she was pretty light luckily so it was no problem to help her stand. "we will see what we can do about the pain later for now your gonna have to do your best. If it starts to hurt to much let me know and we can stop."

@WantYourSoul

Dylan listened as all the others talked, feeling that anything she really had to say was probably not going to help the situation any. She looked as Deus as he motioned her over, claiming leadership before walking off into the darkness. Nerves wracked her. She had been fighting for most of her life. Actually learning to fight and training to do it well, for nearly ten years she'd been doing it. Her hard work had gained her capped teeth, busted lips, twisted and sprained limbs, a broken nose quite a few times, black eyes and broken cheekbones. And she had loved every minute of it. Every painful, thrilling, adrenaline filled moment had been absolutely amazing and completely worth it. MMA had saved her life. Before she learned of it she was on a dark path. Following the wrong crowd, doing more daring and dangerous things to get some sort of approval from them. And then Mr. Morgan stepped in and stopped the viscious cycle. He introduced her to a friend of his, a coach, and gave her a chance to take her aggression out a more productive way. If it wasn't for him...who knows what would have happened to her. Where she'd be.

Shaking herself from her reverie she noticed Deus had nearly been swallowed by the darkness, where the lights of the wall didn't reach. Looking back at the others she saw that a few had started to explore the pallets, curiousity prompted her to nearly run back and see if there was something she could use as a weapon. Something more than just a paperweight in a bag, but there as no way she could let someone walk into the Zone all by themselves. Shaking herself she let out a breath and steeled herself before jogging off after the man, nearly slamming into him when he turned to her and asked her a question. Dread filled her and her note came back to the forefront of her mind, 'Will fighting for survival rather than sport break you?'

Shaking her head, she nearly jumped out of her skin as the lone howl of a wold echoed out around them, only for half a dozen or more howls to answer back. "I really don't think that's a good idea. We don't know what out here exactly, but from the sounds of it, it's frackin wolves. Considering they've survived this side of the wall, I'm guessing they're crazy mutant wolves. And I really don't wanna face that alone. Because, truth, all I have for protection is a paperweight." Dylan shifted in place, hoping he would follow her advice. She really didn't feel like dying because of this. Especially not this early. That would be sad. Looking back at the way they had come, only able to make out the shape of their fellow...experiments?? Whatever. "We probably shouldn't wonder too much farther out anyway."

@TEOYL

"I think whoever dropped us off here had more reasons than that. In my letter there was something about colonization, which is really dark and twisted and-oh, ow," she breaks off from what was beginning to sound like an indignant rant as a stab of pain knocks her off balance. Masami didn't say anything, but she was secretly glad someone else shared the same fear as she. As Marquist helps her up, Sam puts the most of her weight on her uninjured and smiles painfully at him."Thank you. I think I'll be able to handle the pain with something to balance on-someone. Also, sorry you need to bend over awkwardly like that, I never really got that growth spurt you obviously did." She laughs, distracting herself from the pain and chills she could feel radiating from her leg and fingertips.

@Calibutcher

Jack waited on Lucy to catch up, the box of preservatives and freeze-dried foods balancing precariously on his left shoulder so that the right hand could be free to clasp the knife in the other hand. He took note of the contents in her hand, a jumbled assortment of disassembled weaponry, and breathed a slight sigh of relief. They'd have to be light on the ammunition as there didn't seem to be enough weapons for everyone, but enough for emergency defense if they needed it that night. Perhaps if they did well the first couple of days, whoever had captured them would take pity and air drop them some more supplies until they became self-sufficient.

Heh, self-sufficient.

He didn't even want to be in this goddamn hellhole and he was already thinking long term. Not that he had a choice anymore. He'd lost his rights the moment whoever it was had sedated him when his back was turned from the truck. The fucking asshole. Wiping the cold sweat from his brow with his jacket sleeve, he looked over at Lucy as she addressed him suddenly as they moved to catch up with Nikolai.

"
It's Jack. Jack Cooper. I'm a ... well, I was a hunter."

He would have probably extended his hand to shake, but with his hands full it was absolutely impossible. Once they reached the old rundown bunker in the trenches, he'd place his box down next to Nikolai before looking back over at him.

"
Looks to be one who didn't wake up. You two take next boxes from the pallet and I'll move her out of the open."

Though he didn't hold much hope for her condition if she didn't wake up soon. They couldn't afford to leave people around to watch her unconscious body and they really didn't need dead weight this early in the trip. But the girl was a fucking human being after all so even if she didn't make it, they'd have to attend to her regardless else the stench of easy prey bring beasts into the area who will know their blood.

Walking past the Cello player and the injured girl who had watched him so intently earlier, he walked over towards the prone form before pulling her up into a fireman's carry. She was surprisingly pretty light compared to some of the deer he'd had to haul in. And so with his knife thrust through a belt loop in his trousers, he moved to cart the figure back over towards the supplies while the others did their own thing.

@Amerikia1126 @Petronov @LeSmexyFish

Lucy placed down the gun parts and opened her bag to take out the medical supplies from the pallet. She decided to keep the one with her name on it, after all, it was hers wasn't it? Then an idea struck her. "If we can't find any other shelter, perhaps we can carve out some sort of door in the pallets and live in those" Or they could use them as firewood. Jack had told her to go get more supplies, so back to the pallets she went this time opting for the one Nick had gone to earlier. "I hope he's okay with me calling him that, after all Nikolai, Nickolee, whatever, is rather long." They had some tv-dinner like meals except less delicious-like. This would do, after all they couldn't be picky being in the zone and all. She grabbed a crate full of them and started to make her way back. If only there was some way she could skip all this monotonous, hard work of carrying supplies.

Panic began to hit Lucy pretty hard, starting in her heart and spreading out rapidly. Cold and shivering, but hot all the same. She fell to the ground and tears came to her eyes as she finally broke. She couldn't be strong, that wasn't her. She couldn't survive, she'd never done it alone, in the zone, all alone, maybe not so and her family was all the way back home. Would she ever see them again? What would they think? Would she be considered dead? Question after question, and she just broke down. You just could only keep emotions in for so long before they come out. Stuck here, forever. Hopeless, hopeless, and bare feet. But the note, the note. Perhaps it would explain why, she reached into her pocket and read it again. "And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written, The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will banish ungodliness."

Marquist was in a bit of an awkward pose helping Masami walk he really did not mind much as they did not have far to go. Another man passed them and picked up the unconcious and started carrying her off. "Hey who are you? And are we setting up shelter in the bunker or the house?" Marquist had not really heard of any plan so he was still pretty unsure what was going on. It seems to him though that they were at least getting supplies figured out and some kind of Shelter they could use. Marquist stopped dead in his tracks. He had forgotten to pick up his Cello he did not want to leave it behind but he had to help Masami walk as well. "Uhm can you stand on your own for just a moment I need to grab my Cello before we go any further."

@WantYourSoul

Jack continued to carry the unconscious girl towards the shelter though he stopped momentarily as the unnamed medical girl from earlier took a spill to the earth. He watched with expressionless eyes for a moment before going over to nudge her gently with the boot of his foot. He knew it would probably come off heartless, but none of them could afford to fall apart right now. They had to front to shelter, get those weapons assembled, and wait for the two scouts, Deus and Dylan, to return with news. As much as he, too, wanted to break down like he nearly did earlier, he knew it would do not one person a bit of good.

"
On your feet. I know it's hard right now, but we've got to keep those supplies moving. We'll have time to cry later."

And with that he continued to carry the unconscious girl to the trench burrow they had found and placed her inside with her head resting on the bag of materials he had taken earlier. It wouldn't be much of a pillow, but that was the least of their problems right now. Walking back out and taking note of his surroundings, his eyes at last landed on the others who were finally beginning to move.

"
We found a little burrow in the trenches. It's not much, but it has a fireplace and we might could all squeeze in if we're careful. Start moving in that direction so we don't get separated until the others get back."

With his hands now free, he'd then go back towards the food and water pallet to begin helping the unloading process. His mind was still on the wolf-like monsters in the distance and already he itched to take the hatchet they'd found in the construction materials and begin to make that fire. With the 'Zone' largely devoid of human life, fire just might be their best defense in these first couple of days.

@Amerikia1126 @Calibutcher @WantYourSoul @LeSmexyFish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back