• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Clueless Wizard (Completed)

》Ask about the undead.

It took a moment for the edge of pure hysteria to leave wild, dark eyes. The thing was; Arden liked playing fun social games and she enjoyed putting on different personas or emotions as if she were trying on various hats. What she wasn't a huge fan of was being frightened or feeling completely out of her depth in situations beyond her control. And right now? She was feeling both of those things rather intensely.

"Sorry to barge in like this," Arden began, mustering up the tattered remains of her normal aloof persona. The earlier notes of panic and terror that etched themselves across her face were slowly smoothed away until they formed a much nicer smile. One day she hoped to be powerful enough to wear a constant glamour that would fix those pesky emotions. Showing weakness sucked. "We're here to ask you some questions about the undead creatures in the sewers. Such as, how did they get there? How do you control them? And what you're planning to do with them." Arden's smile broadened. "With as much detail as possible, please."

One look at the dagger on his throat, the smiling wizard with a staff that summoned lightning and a towering orc behind her, and the man was ready to sing.

"I didn't know there were monsters in the sewers, I swear it!" The captive said. "We were told to not go near the barrels, so we stayed back. We were paid by an old man to keep people away from the barrels. We thought they were contraband or something, so we took the job."

"I think he's telling the truth." Mel spoke, looking over Arden's shoulder.

"We were paid up front." The man blubbered with fear. "I'm sorry. I haven't seen the man who hired us in months,and I don't know how to find him."

"That's a guilty verdict to me." Revy said. She adjusted her stance with the intention of driving her sword through his throat.

- Tell her do to it.
- Tell her to let him go.
- Tell her to capture him for the Queen.
- Stay silent.

》Tell her to capture him for the Queen.

For a second, a tiny minute second, Arden felt the familiar twinge of satisfaction as Revy's blade pressed closer to the man's throat. She didn't know his name but he was most likely an awful, terrible man who deserved death. Right? But Arden was also frightened and angry and slightly unstable. Logically she wasn't thinking clearly and she'd never wanted to kill someone before. Why should now be any different?

A little perturbed by the fact she needed to rationalize saving a life Arden spoke quickly, "Don't. We should capture him and bring him to the Queen for further questioning." It sounded as good an excuse as any. If this man was ordered to die by the Queen then that was on her head and not Arden's. It was a cowardly approach but right now she didn't want to deal with it. "She will have questions of her own, I imagine."

"Seriously?" Revy hissed angrily. "His thugs would have killed you and Kogan in the sewers if I hadn't shown up in time."

"So knock him out and take him to jail." The orc growled.

"The law is clear." Mel added.

- Let he do it.
- Insist on capturing him.

》Insist on capturing him.

Revy's resistance only helped to strengthen Arden's stance on her decision.

"I don't doubt he's an awful person who would kill us if given the chance," Arden agreed quietly, reaching up to run a tired hand through her hair. "But whether he dies isn't for us to decide." She barely managed to restrain herself from following that statement with a shrug. "You've only just been pardoned, Revy." She reminded her gently, purposefully softening her voice. "I can definitely see where your sense of justice is coming from but... it's best to let the law deal with him."

The wind from the last of the storm blew through the room. Revy poked the bandit with her sword until the big man stood up. Mel looked relieved.

The four of them marched the captive down the rubble ramp to the street and took him to the palace before his men could stop them. Kogan handed the leader of the Blue Star gang over to the guards, and he was taken away to the dungeons. The guards were surprised that they managed to bring them one of the most powerful gang leaders in Blackcliffe.

--

"Damn it." Queen Larissa swore, her face reddened with frustration after hearing about the Blue Star's involvement. "It's bad enough that we have the Yrantans trying to destroy us, but with our own citizens betraying us too, how do we stand a chance?"

"Are you kidding?" Revy said. "With Wizard Arden's magic, nothing can stop us. She has a staff that shoots lightning."

"Uh, magical artefacts take a long time to recharge. I'm certain that it will function again, but it could take days, weeks, or even months." Mel added at that. The staff in Arden's hands was cold to touch now.

"We'll think of something else, then." The Queen sighed, giving Arden a tired smile. "I know I'm summoning for you quite often, but you can visit me out of working hours whenever you like, Wizard."

- Answer.

》Answer.

Watson had been blissfully cold to the touch after his lightning tantrum and Arden couldn't have been more grateful. The irony of her newfound ability was not lost on her. Hopefully nobody else had noticed the slip in her composure, Arden was sure that she'd be able to overcome her fear given time and control. The fact Watson may remain dormant for a while was a small blessing. Though this seemed to weigh heavy on Queen Larissa's mind -- she wished there was more she could offer.

"Thank you," Arden replied, the false cheer settling into a more genuine smile. She wondered if the Queen's exhausted expression was echoed in her own. Visiting her outside of working hours sounded as close to a friend as Arden was going to get in this world. "And I'm happy to help in whatever way I can. This is my home now too, right?" Her smile wavered slightly; this was her home now. Wasn't that a strange thought?

"Of course it is." The Queen nodded with a smile and brightened slightly.

"I'm pardoned, right?" Revy interrupted.

"Yes, yes… go now, I need some sleep." The Queen answered, standing up to leave the throne room. It had grown pretty late too.

Revy smiled happily, giving Arden a friendly squeeze of the shoulder before leaving as well.

"It's been a real revelation and eye-opener to work with you, Arden." Mel said, quite formally. "To be fair, I've never seen Thomas cast much magic. Even if he had that staff with him, he never used it. And I was so eager to see it done in person. So thank you for that." He smiled.

- Ask if there is any divine magic.
- Ask about the Four.
- Say goodbye and go home.

》Ask about the Four.

This entire ordeal had been quite a draining experience and Arden was grateful to see the day finally come to an end. She was going to pass straight out when she got back to the Tower. So, when Queen Larissa and Revy departed the throne room -- both of whom were flashed a slightly brighter farewell smile -- she was prepared to follow their lead. Mel's comment subsequently caught her completely off-guard.

"Huh?" Arden said blankly, blinking wide dark eyes at the elf. "Oh! Yeah, the lightning thing was a complete accident but I'm glad you, uh, got something out of it! Working with you has been cool too~" She flashed him a bashful smile, one hand cupping the back of her neck. It felt weird receiving thanks.

This was probably the only chance she'd have to ask Mel some more questions today and there was one that she'd been mulling over for a while. One that had followed her since she'd first arrived and Alexei had brought it up. "Can I ask you something?" Arden asked, smile dimming slightly as she leveled him with a curious look and her hand dropped back to her side. "What's the Four? It sounds super ominous and definitely reminds me of the Fantastic Four."

Mel looked a her for a moment in confusion, before deciding to ignore her meaningless words (he was getting used to them) and instead focus on what he understood.

"The Four are our gods of the land. Two good gods of light, Auriel and Lucien. And two the dark gods of shadow, Noct and Shadi. At least, that's what the books say." He said with a shrug that did not really reflect a priestly manner. "I suppose I might as well tell you the truth." He said after a moment. "I've been questioning my faith. The Four do not answer us anymore. We can no longer perform divine magic, we haven't been able to do so for hundreds of years, although distant travellers say that prayers are still being answered in faraway lands."

The priest seemed to be very upset about this.

- Say that in your word people still believe in miracles.
- Say that maybe they just need more believers.
- Say that you don't believe there are any gods out there.
- Say that he'll just have to deal with it.
- Say nothing.

》Say that in your world people still believe in miracles.

How interesting, Arden mused as she glanced over the casual manner in which Mel deferred to the Four Gods. She supposed even priests had doubts, though that seemed strangely impossible. Having been raised in a religious environment on earth, and then having disappointed her parents again by failing to uphold that faith, Arden was surprised. Out of the two worlds she'd managed to land herself in this one would've been where she'd have placed her bet for actual divine powers.

Mel's upset expression made her falter slightly, the strange urge to offer the elf some comfort buzzed beneath her skin.

"In my world the Gods have seemingly always been silent," Arden murmured, reaching up to affectionately pat Mel's head as she flashed him a small smile, her gaze faraway and distant as she recalled her past. "The fact people still believe in them is more of a testament to blind faith rather than actual proof. But... if there's any world where the Gods actually exist, and where miracles are going to happen, I'd imagine it would be here." She dropped her hand from his head and leaned away; if she received proof that the Gods were real then Arden would be among the first to convert. Until then there wasn't much comfort she could offer Mel.

"That's a nice sentiment." Mel nodded, a smile slowly making a way to his face. "I think that's becoming a case here as well. And maybe it is for the best. Otherwise the people would rely on divine magic too much and never to anything for themselves." His eyes looked up then, following her hand on his head and his cheeks flushed red as he moved away. "Uh... thank you... I needed to hear that, I think." He smiled again, though much more confused now as he took a step back. "Maybe we should talk more. Out of working hours?" He asked, looking like it took all of his courage not to stutter and fumble for words.

- Agree.
- Refuse.
- Say something non committal.

》Agree.

Having the populace rely too much on divine magic? Arden began to wonder whether she'd eventually become so absorbed by her own magical abilities that she'd lose sight of her other ones. Still, her worries were abated by Mel's pretty blush -- whatever she'd said had definitely been worth seeing his reaction. It felt strangely gratifying.

"Of course!" Arden chirped, a little surprised by his formal askance; she was more than happy to accommodate. Making friends was fun, and she genuinely liked the elf. She flashed him an even brighter smile, all traces of distance wiped from normally dark eyes. "The tower is always open for you... which is where you'll probably find me most of the time. So you're welcome to come 'round whenever you like, Mel."

"I will. Thank you, Arden." Mel responded, then nodded and went about his own work.

"I love these overtime hours." Kogan said behind her. "Double time really bumps up my pay." He gave her an unamused look. "I am being sarcastic, in case you did not notice."

- Go home to rest.
- Explore the town with Kogan.
- Explore the town on your own.

》Go home to rest.

Arden jumped.

"Holy fu -- !" The curse was quickly bitten off as Arden laid her hand over her heart, not unlike an affronted old woman. She'd completely forgotten that Kogan was there, almost half-assuming that the grumpy orc would've wandered home. "Jesus, you frightened me." She mumbled and bumped her shoulder against his, or rather against his arm as his shoulder was much higher than hers.

"Sorry 'bout that, I kinda assumed you'd already left," Arden admitted easily as she headed for the home, yawning widely and flashing a pair of white but human-blunt teeth. "Shall we go home? Or did you want to hit up a tavern? I haven't gotten drunk in like... a week." The pause there was the mental math it took to remember how long she'd been in Blackcliffe. Half the reason she'd been so convinced this was a drug-induced dream was because her last memories of earth were of her going clubbing.

"Yeah, I get you, I'm practically invisible." Kogan continued in his sarcastic tone, rolling his eyes. When Arden mentioned getting drunk, he paused for a moment. "You are offering to pay for drinks?" He crossed his arms and looked at her questioningly.

- Yes.
- No.

》Yes.

"Aww, don't sound so bitter about it you big baby~" Arden cooed sweetly as she winked up at the orc with an expression that could only be described as gleeful. Teasing Kogan was rapidly becoming one of her favourite sports; mainly because there was no fear of reciprocated feelings or of him actually physically hurting her. Emotionally and mentally? Sure. But that would be her own fault if he managed that.

Kogan's sneaky question of whether she'd pay for the drinks was met with a surprised laugh that actually reached her eyes.

"Is that all I am to you, Kogan?" Arden gasped, faking affront as she pretended to wilt with disappointment. "A walking coin purse?" But she was already straightening up again, another large grin having replaced her mock sadness. Honestly speaking Arden was easily swayed, mostly by her own curiosity about the local taverns and on whether Kogan loosened up after a few drinks. "Sure, I'll treat you on my poor, poor wizards salary." Arden leveled him with big, puppy dog eyes.

"Pretty much." Kogan answered with a shrug. "I'm stuck with you, Wizard. Unless you know how to turns rock into gold and want to give me a couple of pieces? Then I'd gladly leave your employment." He said in a flat tone, but his lips twisted into a smirk.

3d3e84071b811105382e8421396db848.jpg

They found their way to Hurs' Inn ten minutes later. Kogan's big steps made Arden skip behind him, barely able to catch up. He was either to in a hurry to get drunk, or in a hurry to get it done with and go home. His face did lit up when he pushed open the wooden doors and walked inside.

"What can I get you?" The bartender asked, a tall orcish man with strong hands and a round belly.

"Two pitchers of dark ale." Kogan said, finding a place at the corner table. "If you want to get drunk Hurs' dark ale is the thing for it." He explained to Arden.

The innkeeper brought them the two pitchers, tall mugs with a liter of dark, foaming liquid. It smelled strong, yet not unpleasant. A pitcher of regular beer would be enough to get a person of average height drunk and if this beer was stronger than the ones Arden had a chance to try, she might be in for a hangover. Kogan raised his mug toward her with a satisfied grin.

- Make a toast.
- Clink your mugs.
- Drink it without toasting.

》Clink your mugs.

Arden slid into the seat across from Kogan, Watson faithfully propped beside her in case of an emergency. From the description given by Kogan, she'd probably be using him as a walking stick tonight. Dark eyes, almost the exact same shade as the ale placed before them, glanced over the tavern with barely concealed intrigue. So, this was what passed as a bar in Blackcliffe? It was nice, cozy even, though there was a distinct lack of flashing lights and music that reverberated inside one's ribcage.

Eh, you win some, you lose some. The good side? This ale would probably taste better than vodka shots at least.

"Congratulations," Arden said as she raised her own mug -- wow it was heavy -- with a playful grin. "You survived your first week with me! It's only going to get worse from here~" And then she clinked their drinks together, careful not to spill any of it.

Unfortunately, it took two hands for Arden to hold the mug steady enough for her to take a large first gulp. Whether she drank the entire thing would remain to be seen. For someone of her stature she did have a surprisingly high tolerance for alcohol... but there was no way she had the stomach capacity to drink a litre of the stuff. Maybe she could switch their mugs when Kogan wasn't looking?

"I bet." Kogan grunted, clinking their mugs together with a force that sent a vibration through Arden's hand and made her ale spill over the edge. He chuckled a little at that. "You humans are all so scrawny. Elves too. I don't get how can you walk without breaking your legs." He looked her up and down and shrugged.

"Hey, Wizard, is that you?" Arden heard someone addressing her from the far side of the tavern, and then footsteps hurriedly approached. A blonde elven head was leaning over her now with a wide grin. "It is you. You are still alive. Wow." Jace whistled.

"What are you doing away from your post, soldier?" Kogan asked, suddenly scowling.

Jace quickly jerked his head toward the orc, then made a nervous face. "Ugh, I'm patrolling this area."

"You are still shirking your duties, aren't you?"

"Maybe..." Jace looked down at his feet, like a child, looking completely guilty.

- Ask Jace to join you.
- Tell Jace to return to his post.
- Switch your drink with Kogan's.

》Ask Jace to join you.

"I have the legs of a ballerina," Arden informed him primly with a small pout, though he hadn't managed to offend her. While her upper body strength was abysmal -- and it always had been she'll admit to that -- most of her physical strength came from dance. At the mention of a wizard she glanced up from her ale; responding to the title as if it'd been her name.

"Jace!" She greeted cheerfully, placing her drink back on the table as she beamed up at him. Unlike Alexei, who she'd been recently partnered with, Jace had managed to escape her attention for the first week. Arden was genuinely glad to see another familiar face and her amusement only grew from there. Apparently him and Kogan knew each other?

"Ooooh~" Arden hummed, much like children in a classroom did when one of their peers received a scolding. "Is Jacey in trouble?" She turned in her seat to fully face him now, still visibly delighted by this development. "Well... it sounds like you'd probably only shirk your duties somewhere else. So, why don't you join us?" Her grin grew a little sharp and more than a little feline. "But only if you pay for our drinks, of course~"

"Yes, I'm joining!" Jace nodded quickly, taking a seat immediately. He already had a mug in his hand either way and did not look like he was about to leave it. "I'll pay for your drinks too, sir, if you let it slide tonight." He said to Kogan.

"This is the fourth time you offered to bribe me. I am Queensguard, you know." The orc said with a deeper frown.

"And you have accepted my bribery three times before this." Jace grinned.

This caused the orc to burst out laughing, giving Jace a fond pat on the back and made him spill his drink.

"See, Wizard, not only am I protecting your frail body, I'm also taking good care of your pockets." Kogan grinned in Arden's direction, tusks showing.

- Ask Jace about his work.
- Ask them about their history.
- Ask Kogan about his job as Queensguard.

》Ask them about their history.

That... went smoother than she'd expected. Arden blinked curiously at her guard when he mentioned being part of the Queensguard. That might explain his complete disregard shown toward the Queen. Why he'd been assigned as her own bodyguard she honestly had no clue; she'd simply asked for an orc and one had been provided. Arden hadn't contemplated where Kogan had actually come from.

"How considerate of you," Arden demurred at Kogan's tusked smile, quietly stowing the questions away for later. Right now she wanted to know the history between these two.

Another careful sip of ale was taken -- it was surprisingly good -- before she decided to pretend to look thoughtful. "It sounds like you two know each other quite well; in fact you're the first person I've seen Kogan actually kind of get along with," Arden began slowly, wondering which angle to play this at. "Are by any chance.... lovers?" She waggled her eyebrows.

"Yes, that's right." Jace nodded instantly, his grin growing wide.

Kogan groaned. "I don't do elves. In any way."

"Now, you were quite drunk that night, sir." Jace gave Arden a conspiratorial glance. He seemed to be of a flirty and open kind.

Kogan did not want to indulge them, though, grunting something incomprehensible and leaning into his mug. The elf now turned his attention to Arden.

"I can barely recognise you with all those clothes on." He winked at her.

- Flirt with Jace.
- Don't encourage his flirting.
- Talk to Kogan.

》Flirt with Jace.

Arden narrowly avoided choking on her ale when Jace decided to play along. Once she'd swallowed the young woman laughed brightly, ducking her head to fight back a splutter. And wasn't that a mental image. Still, she mentally made note that Kogan didn't like elves like that -- it could become important some day.

"And you're still alive?" Arden asked Jace with a carefree grin, leaning back in her seat casually. "He almost killed me when I convinced him to spar with me. Can't even begin to imagine that kind of hate sex." She commented blithely, her grin turned in the orc's direction as she pretended to remain unfazed; already becoming more reckless in her talk. Not many people got her sense of humor like that. Which was why, when she considered dismissing Jace's flirting, Arden couldn't help but fall into the trap. Jace had set up the line so flawlessly after all.

"Well, if you check back in at the end of this drink you might see me out of them again," Arden winked, fully knowing the possibility of that happening was pretty low. Not impossible but very low. She didn't do one night stands anymore, because as fun as they once were she was a vastly different person than she was a year ago. Flirting was a different avenue entirely. "Though, I'm wondering, should I be concerned with how many people have seen me naked at this point?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back