• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Clueless Wizard (Completed)

ArcticFox

Dreamer
Arden Daniels; 23; Psychology student

Agility: Good
Strength: Average
Wit: Average
Charisma: Good

Equipment:

30 silver coins
Wizard's staff of lightning
Amulet of glamour
Book of necromancy
Rod of paralysis
Amulet of planeswalking
A silver ring
Map of Blackcliffe
White shirt, brown pants, red cloak, brown boots
Basic camping equipment

Spells:

Moderate healing
Moderate divination
Advanced glamour
Exceptional fire manipulation
Mastered familiar

de7017d5f4d5ac1055cde88e1593ab36.jpg

She was not in Australia any more, that much was certain. That's not saying that there was not a forest in Australia and that she couldn't have found her way into it, it's just that this forest was purple. And glowing.

And Arden was completely naked.

And there was a corpse on the ground next to her.

It could all have been a dream, but she could smell everything (some things better smelling than others) and she could hear the buzzing of insects around her and she most certainly felt the touch of grass underneath her naked bottom. So, only one explanation was valid here, she was on drugs. She had gone to a particularly wild party and now lost her way and ended up in a forest without her clothes somehow. The colours were a sideeffect of the drugs still in her system.

There was no plausible explanation for the dead man on the ground, though. And yes he was certainly dead and had been for at least a couple of days now. He was dressed in a strange emerald green cloak and dark robes and there was some sort of a staff made out of wood next to him. He looked like a cosplayer if anything. Was there a convention in town?

Without giving her any more time to inspect he surroundings or to go into a fit of panic, a growling coming from between the trees made her look in that direction. A wolf emerged from the shade, head down low, ears perked up, snarling. It certainly did not look friendly. It mus have smelled the corpse, or her, and came to investigate.

- Pinch yourself to wake up.
- Run to climb the nearest tree.
- Say that you mean to harm.
- Grab the dead man's staff to defend yourself.

Last edited:
》Grab the dead man's staff to defend yourself.

2f95d94e0b387e06b349bd443ac8be1f.jpg

What had she taken? Was the immediate thought that pulsed through Arden's exhausted cranium when she finally managed to sit up. Now Arden liked a party as much as the next clinically depressed, horribly in debt, psychology student but this was unusual even for her. Drugs weren't necessarily her thing, most of the time she liked to drink excessively and dance around for exuberant amounts of time. Nothing had ever led to an awakening quite like this.

Also, she was naked! What kind of pervert stole a young lady's clothes like that!?

Arden eyed the corpse next to her and squinted at them suspiciously. They definitely hadn't taken her clothes and their robes could attest to that fact: Gandalf the Green here had a much different approach to fashion than she would've personally have gone.

The growling of an undoubtedly feral wolf caught the young woman's attention and derailed her mildly delirious train of thought. Dark eyes were turned onto the approaching creature and she gave an undignified squeak of terror. Maybe this wolf was a figment of her drug induced imagination? Arden hoped she wasn't that masochistic. Still, she reached for the wooden staff laid to rest by the corpse beside her and pointed the sharper end toward the wolf.

"Down boy!" Arden said as all higher thinking failed her.

Last edited:
The wolf did not sit down or back off. It growled in response, circling around her, trying to get her from the unguarded side. Its tiny red eyes watched her with no particular malice, but with hunger certainly. Maybe the experimental drugs she took gave her special powers? Because certainly only that would save her neck now.

The wolf snarled once more, then lunged at her. She was quick enough to defend with the staff, but not strong enough to actually hit the wolf. The animal's jaw locked onto the wood, tugging at it, to get it out of her hands. It certainly was one persistent wolf.

At the same moment when the staff was ripped out of her hands and she landed backwards on her bottom again, someone had ran up behind the wolf, hitting the wild animal with a some a branch on fire. A torch? The wolf yelped and skipped to the side, tail between its legs as it ran deeper into the forest.

And Arden was now faced with a man, clad in armour, with a face like a god damn model. A convention or a movie set, both explanations were plauisible now.

cf2e1dab1b79e003858e8943045e8214.jpg

"Are you alright?" The knight offered her a hand, not very fazed by her nakedness.

- Take his hand.
- Ask where you are.
- Ask who he is.
- Try to cover yourself up.

》Take his hand: ask where you are.

Genuine dismay passed through Arden as she stared up at what could only be the best part of her hallucination. It belatedly occurred to her that the hottest person she'd ever met could actually be standing right in front her. She'd been joking about the Gandalf comment earlier but truly she must have stripped down and run out onto some kind of movie set. And they'd sent out one of the poor actors to try and assess her mental stability. Acting was truly an underrated career path.

His nonchalance toward her naked form only seemed to cement this fact further in Arden's mind. A man like that had seen a lot of naked ladies, her willow-y bod wouldn't be making any waves today. So hey, if he wasn't going to make a big deal about her nudity then she wouldn't either. At least that was what a flushed Arden told herself as she took the hand that'd hopefully pull her to her feet.

"Y'know I've been better," Arden admitted with a snort. "I mean this is a little embarrassing," She relented after a moment, shooting him a bashful smile as she cupped the back of her neck. God, this couldn't have gone worse. "So where am I? Middle Earth?" Arden joked in an attempt to lighten the mood as she casually glanced over the ground. Where had that nice stick gone?

The knight watched her with a small smile as she rambled on, not trying to interrupt or discourage her. He seemed to be of the patient kind, listening to her speak and once he was sure that she was done, he opened his mouth to reply.

"Oh by all gods, I am so glad you are a young woman!" Came a voice, but it did not belong to the knight.

Another man joined then, running through the trees and coming to stand between them, peering at Arden. He wore a shirt and a pair of pants, all of it looking fairly normal, were it not for a large bow on his back an a pair of pointy ears sticking through his hair.

b92a8eb0119541e951c918b2d86c481e.jpg

"The last time we did this, we had to see him naked!" He gestured at the corpse with disgust. "Ugh." Then he quickly scanned her up and down. "And you are not half bad either."

"Jace." The knight interrupted the talking man, moving him aside. "Don't be like that." He scolded, turning then to Arden. "I'm sorry. My name is Alexei and this is Jace. We are the patrol of Blackcliffe. You are currently in the Kingdom of Traethia, near its capital - Blackcliffe." He paused as if judging her expression and the impact of his words. "I know that this all seems strange, but please trust us, we will explain."

"You were summoned here to be our next Wizard." Jace interrupted. "Instead of that guy." He pointed at the corpse again. "He, uh, killed himself."

There was an awkward moment of silence.

"I guess I'm not making your position appealing at all, huh?" Jace said, but shrugged it off.

- Ask the knight about Blackcliffe.
- Ask Jace about the dead Wizard.
- Ask Jace what is he.
- Ask Jace how you were summoned there.
- Ask the knight who the two of them are.

Last edited:
》Ask Jace how you were summoned there.

Another seemingly gorgeous actor burst forth from the undergrowth and Arden began to wonder exactly what kind of forest or movie set this was. His following, rather sudden, declaration of having seen Gandalf the Green naked was also a little uncomfortable. As if Arden needed another reminder that she was starkers in front of two unfairly attractive men. She'd have to take this in her stride.

"I have absolutely no idea what's going on!" Arden said cheerfully after they'd finished talking. But that certainly might explain the dead body, the wolves on set, the glowing purple trees, and Legolas' ears over there. "So, let's say that - hypothetically - you're telling the truth about me being summoned here. How does that work exactly? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I'm not on drugs anymore."

"Uh, I don't know what drugs are." Jace looked at her confusedly, but soon recovered and answered. "It's not that difficult really, I don't know why you people always insist that this all a dream or that you went nuts. Isn't it just easier to believe it?"

"What Jace is trying to say..." Alexei added, clearly being the more helpful one. "You were summoned to our realm, from yours, by the Wizard's Tower. We don't know how it happens or why, we only know that the moment our Wizard dies, a new one is pulled from another realm to replace them. Which is why we were here, looking for Thomas." He gestured at the corpse.

"Yeah, so, congratulations, you've got a job." Jace said. "Now, this forest is filled with wolves and worse, let's get back to the city and hand you over to the priest. He'll explain it better."

"I agree." Alexei nodded too. "But, first." He removed his red cloak and gave it to Arden to cover herself. "That's the best I have until the city."

The two of them seemed like they would leave the dead man, who was apparently really a dead man and not a prop, in the woods like that. In fact, Jace was already a couple of steps ahead, while the knight waited for Arden, a worried look on his face. Neither of them seemed like they were joking and if they were actors on a set, surely they would have told her that. Right?

- Go with them.
- Ask about the dead man.
- Take the dead man's cloak.
- Take the dead man's staff.
- Take the dead man's ring.

》Go with them: take the dead man's staff.

That wasn't what Arden wanted to hear. This was a pretty elaborate prank if it was one, even more so considering that she was naked and that'd be a serious breach of her privacy. The reality that this was... well, reality, was beginning to sink in.

So, the best course of action that Arden could take in this situation was to assume everything was real. Man, they're going to be super embarrassed when they find out she can't actually use magic. Hey! Maybe they'd send her home?

It was settled. She'd rather follow these two complete strangers than risk being naked in the wolf-ridden woods.

"Thanks, Lexi." Arden mumbled as she wrapped the Knight's red cloak around herself. The young woman only brightened up when she caught sight of the wooden staff which had rolled away during her encounter with the wolf. She picked this up with a bright smile - score! Near death encounters had formed a strong woman-stick bond between them that couldn't be broken.

"So, are we headed to Trabella or whatever you called it?" Arden asked, falling into step beside the patient man with her new stick in hand.

"You are welcome." Alexei responded, though his smile was a bit awkward after the nickname.

The two guys watched Arden pick up the staff and then moved through the woods.

"The Tower picked up another crazy one." Jace whispered to Alexei, but was met with a harsh glare that made him shut up and take point.

The knight walked next to Arden, occasionally looking around to make sure there was no danger. They got out of the purple forest soon enough and then into the fields. As soon as they were out on open plains, Arden could see a walled city in the distance and a huge castle perched up on the hill.

"That is Blackcliffe." Alexei explained. "Our Queen resides there, but the Kingdom of Traethia is large." He glanced aside to her, a bit worriedly. "I know that this is all strange and hard to believe, but I am really glad that you are taking it so well."

"Yeah, the last one tried to run, we spent three days trying to track him down." Jace added over his shoulder.

They passed by tilled fields and soon she could see more people. All of them dressed in outdated clothes, simple and crude, with shovels and pitchforks and huge wooden carts dragged by oxen, that they were filling with crops. The workers would stop at once when the three passed by them and thank god that Arden was at least a little covered up now, because those people peered at her without any shame.

She could hear their awed murmurs too, mentions of a 'wizard' and a 'successor' and some people even thanking their gods. Apparently, she was supposed to be kind of a big deal. Assuming they had not gotten it all wrong.

ab3bc8150858f1edace89f082bdface0.jpg

"That's the royal palace." Jace said, pointing at the huge building.

- Ask about the Queen.
- Ask about Blackcliffe.
- Ask about the dead wizard.
- Ask about the Tower.
- Ask something else.
- Stay silent.

》Ask about the dead wizard.

Arden was half-tempted to tell the staring villagers to take a picture because it'd last longer. Then she realized photographs probably hadn't been invented yet. Instead she settled for an awkward smile and keeping the borrowed cloak tightly closed; no need to flash anymore strangers.

Squinting up at the hulking castle on the hill Arden made an impressed noise, "Swanky."

"Anyway, the dead dude in the woods - Thomas was it? - he was the wizard before me?" Arden asked, casually attempting to broach the subject. "Sooo, why'd he decide to off himself? Looked like he'd been dead for a while." Subtlety thy name is Arden.

"Because he was crazy." Jace said.

"We really don't know." Alexei answered. "Thomas was not coping well with his life here. Then he just disappeared three days ago. We went searching for him and found him dead. So we waited for you to show up."

"It's pretty morbid really. You spawning naked next to a corpse." Jace added, quite unhelpfully.

They passed by the houses and more people followed them with their eyes, but at least they kept a respectful distance. Through a gate and into the palace and there was no more time to chat.

The guards let them into a great hall. Red carpet was unfurled the whole length of it, leading to a throne on the opposite side. It all looked like a welcoming party for some celebrity.

"You should walk up to the Queen alone." Alexei said as him and Jace stayed at the front entrance.

5e8e6067fe01781b357a140eb6d78d87.jpg

The Queen was sitting on the throne, a beautiful young woman, with a clear and commanding voice, that called for her to come closer. Next to the Queen on a smaller, less extravagant throne, sat a man. The King? He did not wear a crown, though. An adviser, maybe.

- Go to the Queen and kneel.
- Go to the Queen and demand answers.
- Go to the Queen and stand, but be respectful.

》Go to the Queen and kneel.

Was everyone here attractive? If so, this was a true travesty because Arden could definitely get used to a place like this.

The dark haired woman shuffled awkwardly down the unfurled red carpet, feeling about as dignified as a dog that'd rolled in mud. As she stood before the throne Arden attempted to recall the proper protocol for meeting a monarch. Everything about the meeting felt formal and staged and she was still completely naked under this cloak.

"Uh, hello." Arden supplied helpfully as she mentally - and physically - flailed about for a moment before ultimately deciding to kneel. This definitely didn't feel right. It was also hard to kneel when she was still carrying her big stick and trying not to flash the actual Queen of this kingdom. Arden had the weird mental image of herself as a small, red riding hood figure kneeling before the proverbial wolf.

The Queen watched her for a moment, her eyes widening first in surprise. Then there was an amused smile on her face as she let Arden kneeling on the ground for a moment too long, before speaking.

"Is everyone so formal from where you come from?" The Queen spoke, still smiling. "Wow, this is quite a change from last time, right?" She turned to the man on her left who just shrugged without speaking. "Thomas tried to strangle me the moment he was through those doors." She shook her head, then gestured at Arden to get up. "No need for that, really. You are our Wizard, soon enough you are going to be more famous than me.

"I am Queen Larissa. Welcome to Blackcliffe."

- Introduce yourself.
- Ask about the city.
- Ask about the Queen.
- Ask about going home.

》Introduce yourself.

Arden laughed awkwardly, her face now matched her cloak when she rose up from her kneeling position. Awkwardly scratching the back of her head the young woman offered a sympathetic wince. It wasn't like she was some kind of expert on matters of formality but strangling someone upon first meeting sounded pretty extreme.

"This is super weird and I have no idea what's going on," Arden admitted. "But I'm not mad or anything."

Aha! The perfect setup!

"Actually, I'm Arden!" She continued with a wide smile, a little embarrassed to recall that she hadn't introduced herself to Lexi and Legolas. "And I'm pretty sure that I'm not a wizard and that there's been some sort of mistake."

The Queen nodded sagely as if she was expecting that response.

"Mel, come here!" She called out when Arden was finished speaking.

"I'm here, your highness." From the side, between the pillars supporting the dome walked out another man.

e090c8ada6b541cd73b1505306fbb50e.jpg

This one was an elf, no doubt. His pointy ears were visible and facial features were somewhat different than a human's. The Queen nodded at him.

"This is Mel, he's the priest of the Four. He was also Thomas's personal adviser and he spent more time in that Tower than the rest of us. He'll explain everything." Mel opened his mouth to speak, but the Queen waved a hand. "No, not here, I can't sit on this throne the entire morning. It's very uncomfortable. Lead the Wizard to the Tower and explain along the way."

"Of course, your highness." Mel bowed, then turned to Arden with a resigned expression. Then he quickly averted his eyes, cheeks red. "We need to find you some clothes first."

- Go with Mel to the Tower.
- Ask the Queen something before.
- Insist on leaving that place.

》Go with Mel to the Tower.

Some explanations would definitely be appreciated and Arden turned to face the newcomer. His blush was strangely unexpected and only caused her grin to broaden, pleased that somebody was at least affected by her nudity. She waved goodbye to the Queen with the same smile.

"You heard the Queen!" Arden said cheerfully as she closed the distance toward the probable elf. "She's a busy woman with stuff to do; stuff that doesn't include sitting on uncomfortable thrones."

"Also, clothes would be really appreciated," Arden enthused before Mel could retract the offer. "Being naked under your coat is only fun if you're the only one who knows and not the entire kingdom." Okay, maybe she was trying to provoke a reaction out of him. Nothing could be proved!

"I agree!" The Queen added with a knowing wink that only made the elf priest more uncomfortable.

"T-this way, please." He mumbled, gesturing for Arden to follow, his steps hurried as he rushed out of the throne room.

They walked out of the palace, through the gate and down a winding path into the bustling city, when Mel finally turned around to face her again, the blush gone from hsi cheeks, but his eyes still averted, avoiding to look at her if at all possible.

"I made a map for you." He said, handing her a piece of rolled parchment. "Thomas was getting lost often, so I think this should serve you well."

244484104306c76a4e8a89dad8429a01.jpg

The elf turned to lead her through the less populated alleys of the city it seemed, probably much more embarrassed by her appearance than she was.

- Ask about the Tower.
- Ask about Thomas.
- Ask about leaving.
- Say you are not a Wizard.

》Ask about the Tower.

Genuinely delighted by the Queen's conspiring wink Arden followed after the elf on much lighter feet. Having a monarch that was actually fun? Definite bonus points to Blackcliffe for that one! Unfortunately she also had to deduct some marks for being led back outdoors in her current birthday state.

Arden was trying to figure out whether she should just turn the cloak around and leave the opening at the back when Mel finally turned to regard her again. His presentation of the map prompted an excited chirp and she quickly unrolled it.

"Woah! Thank you!" Arden beamed as she glanced over the cute little houses and pretty colours. "Did you make this yourself? It's cute!"

Her dark gaze settled on their drawn up destination and her nose crinkled in sudden thought. "Hey, Mel! Can you tell me what the deal is with this Tower? Is it sentient or something? Because I was told that it chose me, and if it's based on an algorithm then I think it might have miscalculated." Arden flashed him another smile that was trying to be charming.

Mel slowed down to walk beside her, gaze fluttering over the surroundings, as they made their way toward the destination. When she asked a question, he mulled it over for a moment, clearly not understanding half the words she spoke, but at least trying to.

"The Wizard's Tower has been here for centuries. We don't know who made it or how. It was here already when Blackcliffe was built around it. There are no other Wizards in this world except those summoned by the Tower." He gave her a quick look. "The Tower is never wrong. If it had summoned you, then you are a Wizard. I think it has something to do with you being from a different realm. Even if there is no magic in your realm, the moment you are summoned here you have the gift." He paused. "You can't feel it now, but once you read the magical books, you'll understand it. I don't have the gift of magic, so this is the best I can explain it."

When he finished speaking, they reached the Tower. It certainly did not match its surroundings. It was fantastical even for a fantasy world.

463634460c35990ac5439637925c960d.jpg

"You are the only one that can pass through the portal." He gestured at the blue shimmering light at the bottom of the stairs leading into the Tower. "Others can go in only if you allow them."

A small crowd was gathered in front of the Tower. People of all sorts and races, citizens, were watching them with curiosity. They must have already heard that the new Wizard arrived.

- Go through the Portal.
- Ask Mel something else.

》Ask Mel something else.

"Alright," Arden said like everything Mel had explained wasn't completely bonkers. "So, the magical tower summons me from my non-magical world to give me magic powers so I can become a kick ass wizard." She summarized lightly and tried not to acknowledge the dread accumulating in the pit of her stomach. She wasn't freaking out. No way.

More people appeared to have gathered around the entrance, or portal, into the tower. Arden ducked her head slightly and tried to engage Mel in conversation, if only to avoid making eye contact with anyone.

"So, if I give you permission to come into the scary tower... then you'll come with me?" Arden asked, aiming for casual and missing by a long shot. She sounded scared.

Mel noticed the tremble in her voice and gave her a gentle look. "I know this is very different, but I promise it can turn into something amazing, if you just give it a chance." He smiled, extending a hand toward her to take. "You will have to take my hand and then go through the Portal. I have been inside, I will show you around and tell you all that I know. Don't worry."

The crowd was getting larger by the moment. Obviously, this was a really big deal for everyone. If Arden was truly a Wizard, she'd have no trouble going through that portal. If she was still on drugs and asleep in an alley somewhere, surely this went on far too long and she would wake up right about now.

- Take Mel's hand and go into the Tower.
- Go inside alone.
- Don't go.

》Take Mel's hand and go into the Tower.

Everything was becoming too detailed and convoluted for Arden to believe that this was a figment of her imagination. Even drugged to the high heavens she wouldn't have been able to come up with something like this. That alone made this fantasy world plausible. And if she somehow managed to step through that portal then she'd have to acknowledge the possibility of being an honest to God wizard.

Mel's surprising gentleness was a welcomed reprieve and Arden huffed quietly to herself, "You're such a Dobby." And then she slipped her trembling hand into his and stepped through the portal.

There was a tingling sensation when Arden stepped through the shimmering blue light. She could hear the cheering of the people as if from a great distance when both her and Mel were transported inside.

They were inside the Tower. Or at least, they were inside some structure. A big hallway with pillars reaching up two stories high. Light coming from the outside illuminated the room, shining off the dust particles that rose in the air as they magically appeared. The ground was solid, the walls around her was solid and the hand of the elf in her own was certainly not disappearing. She was not hallucinating.

"See, I told you." Mel said, letting go of her hand. "You are our next Wizard and this is your new home." He walked toward the centre of the hall, pointing at the stairs to one side that curved up to higher floors. "The staircase leads to the bedrooms and the library. There are many bedrooms in this tower, so feel free to pick whichever one suits you. You will also find clothes there. The library is the most important room of the Tower. That is where you will learn your spells and read about your predecessors. Typically, a new Wizard spends the first month doing just that.

I will be here to help, but you will also need someone to cook and take care of the Tower and someone on the inside to guard it while you are gone... Just as a precaution."

- Go find a bedroom first.
- Go find the library first.
- Choose the staff with Mel.
- Tell Mel you don't need anyone else in there.

》Go find a bedroom first.

Deep sienna eyes dragged over the fantastical interior of the tower as it distantly occurred to Arden that they weren't outside anymore. Breathless laughter followed this revelation, taking on a hysterical edge as she promptly keeled over and gripped onto her new stick for dear life. She was supposed to be a wizard? Technically this proved that she was and that she'd actually be expected to use magic. Hilarious.

When she'd finally caught her breath, and straightened up, Arden wiped at the tears that clung to dark lashes with an amused snort. "Yer a wizard, Arden." She muttered to herself, giggling again but seeming much more emotionally stable.

"Right! Sorry 'bout that," Arden apologised to Mel with a casual wave of her hand. The poor dude had just witnessed a minor mental breakdown, nothing too major though. "Um, okay. I still think clothes should be the first priority because this is getting a bit uncomfortable for everyone now." She decided and cleared her throat as she re-orientated herself. Then with new purpose, and definitely not shaky legs, Arden made for the stairs.

Mel stared at her as she laughed, slightly confused and more than a little afraid, both for her sanity and for his own. But, then again, how was she supposed to react anyway? She was brought from her world into this mystical magical one where she did not know anyone and was forced into a role she knew nothing about.

"The bedroom is up the stairs." Mel repeated again, watching her with a mix of compassion and wariness. "I'll be here to show you the library and answer any questions you might have, as well as help you choose your servants." He finished, leaning against a pillar and standing in wait.

Arden found the upper floor without much trouble. She also found a couple of bedrooms, with all the doors flung wide open. All except one were a complete mess. The bedsheets were torn, the lamps laid broken on the floor, the tables were shattered. Someone had caused this mayhem recently and if the stories about Thomas and his aggression were true, it might as well have been him.

f9063e218cfebbeb124464149078ba42.jpg

The one bedroom she found untouched, almost completely, was decent enough and would serve her purpose. There was a dresser there too and quite a few garments inside of it, ranging from simple to extravagant, from dresses to doublets and trousers.

- Pick what to wear.
- Explore the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back