• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern The Children's Crusade

LeapOfFool

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Quick content warning, this roleplay would deal with dark themes such as the horrors of war, violence, sacrifice and loss of innocence. As such, it might not be suitable for everyone.

For generations, Veridian and its citizens have been aware of the existence of those with powers beyond the norm. These Espers, as they are collectively known, are born with abilities that defy explanation, from pyrokinesis to super strength.

Espers are not exactly outcasts, but they are not met with welcoming arms either. While their existence is accepted, even used to some extent, these powered individuals are feared by the general populace and viewed with disdain by the government.

Now, the world stands on the precipice of doom as war rages on. With dwindling resources pushing nations to their limits, Veridian finds itself outgunned, outnumbered and outmatched. Their last desperate gambit? The Espers. A specialized school known as the "Ascension Academy" has been created, giving Espers the opertunity to hone and use their abilities to serve the nation, a fiery crucible where young Espers are forged into weapons of war. Many Espers join, not out of a sense of patriotism or duty, but out of the desperate hope of finally winning the respect and admiration they so desperately crave.

But the battlefield is no fairytale. Even with their powers, an Esper's life can be ended with a mere bullet. In this setting, a person with a gun is as much a threat as any superpowered individual.

This is Veridian. It’s brutal, it’s broken, and it’s bathed in the blood of its sons and daughters. Glory awaits the brave, yet one can't help but wonder: at what cost?

As hinted to above, the level of power for this roleplay is gonna be a fair bit lower than in most superpower related roleplays.

As such, I've taken the liberty to provide these guidelines for what powers should look like in this setting. If anything is unclear, please just ask and I'll do my best to clarify.

1. Singular Focus: Each Esper's power must have one primary application or function. For example, if someone has an ability that grants them enhanced strength, it should not also provide enhanced speed and durability.

2. No Multi-Applications: Powers that branch into multiple distinct abilities are not permitted. For instance, if someone has the power of super speed, they should be able to run fast but not vibrate their molecules to pass through solid objects.

3. Stay Grounded: Keep the powers scope and scale in check. The focus is on having a unique, clear-cut ability rather than being overwhelmingly powerful.

4. No Supernatural Powers: Please avoid powers that delve into the supernatural or occult, such as talking to the dead, witchcraft, or summoning spirits. The goal is to keep powers grounded in a more, for lack of a better word, realistic context rather than a mystical one.

Is there a female child spot I have been waiting for an rp like this for so long I can also be a boy I have experience with both roles

Is there a female child spot I have been waiting for an rp like this for so long I can also be a boy I have experience with both roles
They're not really an predetermined roles. So you can play whatever you want.

Would psychokinesis work, or would it have to be more specific lkke pyrokinesis or hydrokinesis?
Sure, psyckpkinesis could work. I'd be open to that.

I too,am just a little curious about the scope of powers you intend. So for example,a character who has telescopic vision that can see very far away (as long as it's in a straight line) could reasonably also zoom in on close by objects to see microscopic details,right?

What about a character who can precisely channel and redirect heat in close range? So they can indirectly create cold by pulling heat from one area to another. They can't generate or control fire,but can start fires by concentrating ambient heat and blasting it at flammable material,and also put out small fires by dispersing their heat. No special ability for their own body to store/withstand heat,or comparatively little of that.

I too,am just a little curious about the scope of powers you intend. So for example,a character who has telescopic vision that can see very far away (as long as it's in a straight line) could reasonably also zoom in on close by objects to see microscopic details,right?
Seems reasonable, yes. I think such a power would work.

What about a character who can precisely channel and redirect heat in close range? So they can indirectly create cold by pulling heat from one area to another. They can't generate or control fire,but can start fires by concentrating ambient heat and blasting it at flammable material,and also put out small fires by dispersing their heat. No special ability for their own body to store/withstand heat,or comparatively little of that.
Again, seems reasonable and fairly limited in scope so I'd accept such a character.

Ok, look, maybe I explained myself a bit poorly. Yes, some powers are inevitable going to more versatile and grant more abilities than others but I just want to limit such things as much as possible.

So no, I'm not gonna go over every single power to make sure that they can only be used in one, very specific way.

That said, a good rule of thumb is that no power should branch into other abilities that themselves would serve as the main ability of another character. No one is going to make a character whose main ability is, say, putting out a small fire so adding that to your heat manipulation power is fine. But on the other hand, you can't staple on the ability to phase through objects to a character with super speed because intangibility could very easily be used as a power on its own.

I'm potentially interested. I have a few different ideas for powers. Just need to decide on one.

Hi!!

K so like what country and decade equivalent is this rp? And is it an 'academy life' then go fight invading baddies or have the charries already graduated?

K so like what country and decade equivalent is this rp?
While it's set in roughly modern times, the main inspiration for Veridian is the Japanese empire during world war 2.

And is it an 'academy life' then go fight invading baddies or have the charries already graduated?
Leans more towards the "academy life" but characters will be sent on various missions into enemy territory.

While it's set in roughly modern times, the main inspiration for Veridian is the Japanese empire during world war 2.

Leans more towards the "academy life" but characters will be sent on various missions into enemy territory.
k thx for answers!

but i'mma pass on this. Good luck with RP!!

So I have two abilities in mind and I have draw backs and explanations for both.

1 Siren voice: the vocal cords are stronger and longer than a normal humans and allow the individual to hit notes, cords, pitches and tones that normal people can’t. This allows the individual to be able to sing at a tune to cause certain reactions to happen. Depending on the frequency used, could destroy eardrums, shatter glass, cause dizziness, disorientation and other minor things that sound waves can do. However, because it is sound it is hard and sometimes impossible to control where it goes and who or what it effects in the area. So friendly fire is a very common problem, and can even hurt the individual using said ability.

2. Unbreakable skin: while the skin’s cellular make up is much more tightly stuck together that not even a molecularly sharpened steal blade can cut the skin, however it is flexible but the inside is still vulnerable. While the skin cannot be cut, or scratched, it can be bruised and blistered. Internal injuries are very problematic as surgery would not be possible except by a diamond coated, atomic-sharp blade can cut through to save said individual. While normal stabbing and cutting and tearing are impossible, choking, oral drugs and impact wounds are still a hazard.

What do you think?

As others have done I suppose I'll outline my primary idea here: shapeshifting. The character would have the ability to shapeshift into any animal they have previously come into contact with. They would then gain the unique abilities of that animal while in that form. For example, strength as a gorilla, speed and agility as a cheetah, etc. However, of course being an animal they would be prone to all the same vulnerabilities that animals are, such as being able to be killed normally (or of course the problem of being in fish form and being deprived of water, that sort of thing).

SavannahSmiles SavannahSmiles Nellancholy Nellancholy Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford Davila Davila SerenityAngel SerenityAngel Jannah Jannah

Here's the OOC thread. The CS thread is here.

So I have two abilities in mind and I have draw backs and explanations for both.

1 Siren voice: the vocal cords are stronger and longer than a normal humans and allow the individual to hit notes, cords, pitches and tones that normal people can’t. This allows the individual to be able to sing at a tune to cause certain reactions to happen. Depending on the frequency used, could destroy eardrums, shatter glass, cause dizziness, disorientation and other minor things that sound waves can do. However, because it is sound it is hard and sometimes impossible to control where it goes and who or what it effects in the area. So friendly fire is a very common problem, and can even hurt the individual using said ability.

2. Unbreakable skin: while the skin’s cellular make up is much more tightly stuck together that not even a molecularly sharpened steal blade can cut the skin, however it is flexible but the inside is still vulnerable. While the skin cannot be cut, or scratched, it can be bruised and blistered. Internal injuries are very problematic as surgery would not be possible except by a diamond coated, atomic-sharp blade can cut through to save said individual. While normal stabbing and cutting and tearing are impossible, choking, oral drugs and impact wounds are still a hazard.

What do you think?
Both of those should be fine.

As others have done I suppose I'll outline my primary idea here: shapeshifting. The character would have the ability to shapeshift into any animal they have previously come into contact with. They would then gain the unique abilities of that animal while in that form. For example, strength as a gorilla, speed and agility as a cheetah, etc. However, of course being an animal they would be prone to all the same vulnerabilities that animals are, such as being able to be killed normally (or of course the problem of being in fish form and being deprived of water, that sort of thing).
It's a bit broad but as long as the character can't turn into too many different animals right at the start of the roleplay it should work.

Hi there! I'm interested in joining, and I wanted to check if my proposed power would be acceptable before I start creating my character. My power is kind of on the edge when it comes to the singular focus guideline but I'm hoping the fact it all comes from the explosive power of muscle it might just slide in, but I have a backup power in mind just in case. Looking forward to your feedback, and I'm eager to join either way!

Leg muscles manipulation:

Leg muscle manipulation centers around the manipulation of their leg muscles, with a particular focus on enhancing their explosive muscle ability. This ability grants them extraordinary physical prowess.

Through the precise control of their leg muscles, they can generate explosive bursts of power that are especially pronounced in their strength, jumping ability, and speed. When it comes to raw strength, their legs become formidable assets, allowing them to deliver powerful kicks that can shatter obstacles and overcome formidable adversaries.

Their jumping ability is equally enhanced, enabling them to reach remarkable heights and cover great distances in a single leap. This not only provides them with a tactical advantage in traversing challenging terrain but also allows for impressive aerial maneuvers.

Moreover, their power extends to explosive speed, such as in the 100-meter sprint. When they channel their energy into their leg muscles, they become fast over short distances.

Telekinetic Thread Manipulation:

This power gives the character the unique ability to manipulate threads and wire found in their surroundings through telekinesis. The user cannot create these threads.

In terms of offense, they can shape threads and wire into sharp, needle-like extensions and propel them with telekinetic force. Imagine them forming a wire into a javelin-like projectile and hurling it at a target, capable of piercing through various materials and even light armor.

The power has a mobility usage, their telekinetic control over threads and wire allows them to attach these materials to fixed points and swing through the air, much like a grappling hook. This grants them exceptional agility, enabling them to move quickly across gaps or reach elevated spots with ease.

Their telekinetic control extends to crafting intricate patterns or traps with threads and wire. For instance, they can create a net-like barrier to immobilize opponents or set up a tripwire trap.

Hi there! I'm interested in joining, and I wanted to check if my proposed power would be acceptable before I start creating my character. My power is kind of on the edge when it comes to the singular focus guideline but I'm hoping the fact it all comes from the explosive power of muscle it might just slide in, but I have a backup power in mind just in case. Looking forward to your feedback, and I'm eager to join either way!

Leg muscles manipulation:

Leg muscle manipulation centers around the manipulation of their leg muscles, with a particular focus on enhancing their explosive muscle ability. This ability grants them extraordinary physical prowess.

Through the precise control of their leg muscles, they can generate explosive bursts of power that are especially pronounced in their strength, jumping ability, and speed. When it comes to raw strength, their legs become formidable assets, allowing them to deliver powerful kicks that can shatter obstacles and overcome formidable adversaries.

Their jumping ability is equally enhanced, enabling them to reach remarkable heights and cover great distances in a single leap. This not only provides them with a tactical advantage in traversing challenging terrain but also allows for impressive aerial maneuvers.

Moreover, their power extends to explosive speed, such as in the 100-meter sprint. When they channel their energy into their leg muscles, they become fast over short distances.

Telekinetic Thread Manipulation:

This power gives the character the unique ability to manipulate threads and wire found in their surroundings through telekinesis. The user cannot create these threads.

In terms of offense, they can shape threads and wire into sharp, needle-like extensions and propel them with telekinetic force. Imagine them forming a wire into a javelin-like projectile and hurling it at a target, capable of piercing through various materials and even light armor.

The power has a mobility usage, their telekinetic control over threads and wire allows them to attach these materials to fixed points and swing through the air, much like a grappling hook. This grants them exceptional agility, enabling them to move quickly across gaps or reach elevated spots with ease.

Their telekinetic control extends to crafting intricate patterns or traps with threads and wire. For instance, they can create a net-like barrier to immobilize opponents or set up a tripwire trap.
I think the second one might fit the setting better.

I'm interested in the idea, but I think I would try something to do with plants or something if that's okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back