• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern the cabin in the mountains

Characters
Here
★。\|/。★
elise
★。/|\。★

A small, red car covered in snow and droplets of water pulled into one of the many supermarkets in their area, the cheap tires squeaking as they turned and braked. Elise hadn't had a chance to replace them, with the holidays and all the money her bakery had lost over the past month. Times were a little difficult, she couldn't lie, but she was going to make the best out of this years' holidays. She pulled the keys out of the ignition, zipping her pale blue fleece before exiting and rapidly making her way inside the store. Her sunglasses were still pulled over her gorgeous blue eyes as she sauntered through the automatic doors, because the brightness of winter still liked to blind her with the mirrors of her old, crimson car.

She shuffled her way throughout the aisles, like a lab rat on its way to the end of a labyrinth. She sighed with relief as the frozen food aisle was empty from what her eyes had gleaned in their quick glance. The woman had to admit, it was a little depressing that her holidays would be spent with a frozen pizza and cheap wine. But she had no other option: to fly or drive back to her parent's home many states over was too expensive for the young woman. Elise's blonde hair fell out of her winter hat as she quickly whirled her head to search for the right freezer, shivering in the ice cold breeze of the opening doors beside her. She fumbled in her pockets for her wallet and phone before standing up straight, moving towards the freezer that held her companion for the holidays.

kindaemissary kindaemissary

Last edited:
❁ in the grocery store ❁

"Elise!" Sharon shouted from the end of the aisle at the young lady she hadn't seen in what felt like forever. Definitely years, but it felt like much more time had passed since Elise and her son, Patrick, ended things.

She didn't know the entire story, she was only a mother, but she knew that it wasn't the best ending.

The young woman looked good. Clean, healthy, but a little sad. Sharon wasn't one to pry, but she was a mother. She wanted to make sure that those she cared for were cared for, and even if she hadn't seen Elise in forever, the girl was like a daughter to her - especially since she only had sons of her own.

"It's been so long, dear," she said, and her husband, Richard, trailed behind her. "What are you still doing here? I thought you would have gone home for the holidays? And why is your cart full of just frozen pizza?"

❁ at the Graves Household
Abrasive, cold air hit his face as Patrick walked outside. It was too sunny outside to spend the entire day sheltered in the living room, curtains drawn, but damn, was it cold. Maple, his younger brother's dog, played in the front yard by herself and galloped in the snow.

Patrick wanted a cigarette. He wanted a lot of things.

He moved back home after spending two years figuring himself out in Denver, and he'd been home since the middle of summer. His house was a few miles away from his parents, and the lot of them were already celebrating the holidays at their house. His brother and sister-in-law, Brandon and Lucy, were inside adding more wood to the fireplace, probably, and his parents were picking up last minute ingredients for apple crisp and cheesy potato casserole at the nearest market.

Growing up took a lot of effort, but he thinks he did a good job. Getting sober was harder than he thought it would be, but his family had been very supportive. They gave him space and closure when and where he needed it, and his childhood home was purged of anything dangerous to his progress. No more Christmas morning mimosas or Christmas Eve lagers with his father. No more cigars on Thanksgiving.

He deleted most of the contacts from his cell phone two years ago, and that included the good people in his life, too. He kept in contact with his family, and he made new friends. He knew two many people that would give him a gram or two of something if he asked, and he was still too new at this to not ask.

He'd probably always want to.

"Patty," his brother called from the kitchen, and Patrick whistled at Maple to join him. They went inside, and she shook all of the snow off onto him. "You can't stay out there too long, you know. You'll get frostbite or somethin'."

"I know," Patrick said, and he patted Brandon on the back. "It gets a little stuffy in here."

Brandon laughed and handed his brother a can of soda. "Open a window then, dude. They'll be home soon. Set the table?"

★。\|/。★
elise
★。/|\。★

Elise's shoulders jumped quickly at the sound of her name, the aisle no longer devoid of any other people. She felt her lips part involuntarily as she recognized the voice- it was her ex's mother. A great holiday surprise, she though ruefully as she placed a smile on her pretty face and turned to see the older woman and Richard, her husband. Patrick had ended things between the two a long while ago. But it warmed her heart to know that the woman had cared for her just that much. Even so, her stomach felt like a bunch of bugs had decided to throw a party- anxious that something else may come out of this encounter.

"Mrs. Graves!" she exclaimed brightly. "It's good to see you, and you too Mr. Graves." Elise smiled wider as she approached, reaching out to give Sharon a quick embrace, and a small, polite wave to her husband. "It's good to see you." She echoed herself, a faint chuckle following as the woman questioned the contents of her cart. She awkwardly fiddled with the hem of her jacket, smiling sheepishly. "The bakery's had a tough time the last few months, I'm, uh, just staying home for the holidays." She gave a self-deprecating chuckle, her face glowing like a young girl. "I was going to buy wine too, if that's any solace." She hoped that the woman wouldn't question her on the breakup, or her true plans for the holidays. It was embarrassing, really. She wondered absentmindedly about Patrick's holiday plans, but decided to stop trying.

kindaemissary kindaemissary

Last edited:
❁ in the grocery store ❁

Sharon knew that it was hard for her son after things fell apart with him and Elise, but she never truly got the entire story from. She was a smart woman, and it wasn't too hard to put together that her son ended things when he started down a path he wasn't sure he could pull himself out of. Not even a month after Patrick had moved out of the apartment he shared with Elise, he was already down south in a rehab center working on himself.

She wasn't sure how much Elise knew about all of that, and while she wanted the girl to know that she had never done anything wrong, it wasn't her place.

"Wine and pizza," she laughed. "That's no holiday meal! I'm sorry that you couldn't go home to visit your parents. Maybe you should come over and eat dinner with us tonight? I know it's not quite Christmas Eve, but you know we like to celebrate a little bit the entire week."

Richard nodded next to her and placed a hand on the small of his wife's back. "Brandon and Lucy are in town, too," he said, and Sharon grinned.

"You have to come," she begged. "It's the last time you'll be able to Lucy pregnant for a while!" Sharon was too giddy about the arrival of her first grandchild. "She's due next month, and she'll already be back in Pennsylvania by then."

Sharon didn't need to mention anything about Patrick, she thought. He'd be happy to see her even if he wouldn't admit it at first, and Elise would likely react the same way. And if she was able to get Brandon and Lucy finally together after them pawing after each other for years, she could match anyone.

"At least stop by and we can give you some real food. A good home-cooked meal never hurt anyone."

❁ at the Graves Household ❁

Patrick sat down in the recliner in the living room and leaned back. Maple joined him on the chair quite easily, her little paws finding his hand and resting it there until he pet her.

"You have a very needy dog," he told his brother, and Brandon laughed under his breath. He was still maneuvering around in the kitchen, likely setting the table up in a slightly different way than Patrick did when he asked.

"And soon we'll have her and a baby, how crazy is that?"

It was almost upsetting, Patrick thought, that he wasn't going to be the one to give his parents the first grandchild. Brandon was only three years younger than him, and he probably would have already had kids by now if he hadn't fucked up leaving college, but it was still sad. He had always wanted to be a parent, but he couldn't do that when he was sick. He knew that.

He felt like a disappointment. In all actuality, he was.

"Just make sure you come back here once in a while, Patrick told him. "Mom will hunt you down if you keep her from her grandbaby for too long. She'll find ya."

★。\|/。★
elise
★。/|\。★

The young woman paused in her tracks as the older woman spoke, her cheeks becoming rosy at the mention of the rest of Patrick's family. She couldn't lie, they were some of the sweetest people she knew, and had accepted her despite many of the shortcomings she had. She watched Sharon's face with an inquisitive look, wondering why she seemed so thoughtful. But she didn't press on, rather allowing a bright chuckle like the chiming of bells to leave her.

"Oh, Mr. Graves, that's not fair," she whined good-naturedly. "How could I ever deny going to see Lucy? And she's expecting, Brandon must be thrilled. That must be so great for you guys too, my gosh. Congratulations!" She didn't mention Patrick, similar to the way Sharon had left her son out of the conversation.

She continued to smile as the couple extended to her an invitation to her home, and she nodded despite herself. "I couldn't impose though," she replied politely. "You should spend time with your family before they return home. I'll only stick in your hair for a short while, I promise."

Elise truly did feel she was imposing, but they had acted like her parents when Elise's own were not there to assist her. Her relationship with Brandon and Lucy was a good one too, as she'd known them for years prior as well. But she couldn't stop the nagging voice in the back of her head that urged her on to ask about Patrick's holiday plans. Last she had heard, the man moved to Arizona, or some other state and planned to stay there.

So he wouldn't be there, right? She silently hoped she could avoid the awkward encounter as she began to put the pizzas away.

"And I'll only take just a bit of your lovely food, Mrs. Graves," she said, pushing her cart against a shelf to leave it there. "Heaven knows it's something I can't resist. Now, I have clothes and stuff in my car. What do you say I just follow you there and then drive home later tonight?"

❁ in the grocery store ❁

Sharon almost squealed. If she could manage to get Elise and Patrick in the same room, that would be the push they needed to open up with each other. Things might have fallen apart before, but Patrick had grown, and she knew that he never fell out of love with her.

Love was just different when you were an addict.

"Please," she gushed to Elise. "We were just getting ready to leave, so it's perfect. We had to get some last minute ingredients for the morning."

Patrick poked at the fire and watched as Brandon and Lucy folded blankets up together. The living room was warm, but there was nothing quite as comforting as the protection that being wrapped up in a blanket gave.

"Pat," Brandon said, "go check if that batch of bread is done rising. If we put it in the oven, if should be done right around the time we're ready to eat."

Listening to his brother, Patrick moved into the kitchen and began carefully kneading the bread. Cut it, knead it, cut it, knead it. Four loafs of sour dough for breakfast - it would last them until the holidays were over.

Patrick felt like the younger sibling some of the time, but he knew his parents or brother didn't patronize him over it. He just needed to take a step back and take direction. That's why he moved home. He wanted help and a chance to grow again.

★。\|/。★
elise
★。/|\。★

She laughed at the woman's enthusiasm. "Oh, how I've missed you guys. Here, let me just go grab a few things of mine I need, and then I'll park out by your car. Thank you, really, for saving me from the solo wine and pizza party I almost had." She placed a hand quickly on the woman's arm and smiled to her husband before taking off to another number of miscellaneous aisles, checking out and taking the bags to her car.

The heaviest one was a case of expensive champagne, bubbly and a beautiful ivory color. Last time they had spoken, Sharon had gushed over the brand, and she figured it was necessary that she brought a present for the older woman. So she tucked the champagne away in the bottom of her passenger seat, away from all the other bags.
( hehe )

Elise turned on her car, turning up the volume of the radio to a comfortable level for her to hum along gently, her blue eyes bright as she waited for the elderly couple to leave the supermarket. She waved in their direction happily as they did, and she pulled out of the parking spot with a loud squeak of her brakes, and followed the couple up to their home.

For the last few years, Patrick had been off finding himself. He had lived in Arizona at rehab, moved to California for a few months of soul searching, planted himself in Denver for a few years as he continued to stay clean, and ultimately moved back home to have a better and healthier relationship with her parents. His relationship with Brandon never really suffered from any of his mishaps, and they continued to only grow closer as Patrick got better at loving himself and staying away from his demons.

During his long stint in Denver, Patrick went through a night class to get back into teaching. If he wanted to move home, he wanted to do it all in one go. He wanted to do what he went to school for, and it was a blessing that he could move home and achieve that goal at the same time.

He had been teaching 7th and 8th grade advanced literature since the fall when he moved back, and it was his first holiday break without having to work around his work schedule. The pay or benefits weren't always great, but he was doing what he always wanted to, and he had two weeks off from school before he had to go in to prepare for the next semester.

So far, that time had been used for shopping and helping his mother around the house.

"They'll be back soon!" Brandon called out from the kitchen.

Patrick was on the back porch again, giving Maple a chance to get some energy out before the lot of them ignored her due to the food on their plates. She was a good dog, kind and gentle, and he knew that Lucy and Brandon were very excited to bring home their little boy to such a happy home.

"How are you doing?" she asked, walking outside, arms crossed over her chest. "It feels good out here."

Patrick chucked. "I was telling Brandon that it gets too stuffy, and he just snorts at me."

"He's a loser," Lucy joked, and the two of them watched Maple playing in the yard. "I think I'm convincing him, slowly, to move back home."

"Yeah?" Patrick asked.

The family had been working on getting Lucy and Brandon back here for some time, but Brandon always made excuses. He wasn't ready, that they needed more time to grow on their own, that they loved Philly. But they were having their first child, and Brandon's parents lived out here, and Lucy's were up north. There was no reason to stay out there.

"I hope so," he added, and Lucy smiled.

"Me too," she said. "Here or North Dakota, you know? I just want to be near family."

Lights flooded the driveway, and Lucy called Maple up to the patio. "I'll get Brandon to help your parents," she said. "Go finish putting the rest of dinner together."

★。\|/。★
elise
★。/|\。★

A second set of headlights followed behind the first, a loud squeal of brakes audible- much different from the smooth stop of the first car to arrive. Elise's shaky hands grasped the worn steering wheel of her car, and her blue eyes were fluttering around her surroundings rapidly, a light feeling in her stomach. She sat still for a few heartbeats, her hands still clamped tight on the wheel. Why was she even here? She'd look like an intruding woman who was using her ex's parents for company. She took a shaky breath, turning her car keys and pulling them out of the ignition, the headlights flashing once before shutting down. The rest of the car went silent at the same time, and she quickly pushed the car door open, zipping her jacket quickly. She had forgotten the champagne, but she'd retrieve it later, she vowed as she approached the older couple exiting their car.

"Here," she offered kindly, her voice soft but echoing among the cars. "Let me get some of the bags, Mrs. Graves." She smiled quickly, popping open the trunk and grabbing a few bags. Had she heard someone calling a name? She shrugged it off as she grabbed two of the multiple bags that lay across the interior of their car. The plastic made pitched scrabbling noises as she slipped her arms through the thin material of the shopping bags. She looked back with a flip of her pale hair- the few bags still in the trunk almost daring her to try to take all at once. But she didn't- what if she broke them? Her blue eyes warily glanced across her surroundings, the only time her face was visible. So with a sigh and a useless deep breath to calm herself, she approached the steps to enter the beautiful home. Mr. and Mrs. Graves were long gone inside, and the door was still open. She looked down towards her boots as she unsteadily made her way up the stairs.

Last edited:
[IMG='width:182px;']https://i.pinimg.com/564x/14/b2/16/14b21638f5e3771f3d05a6a96f8a6d71.jpg[/IMG]Patrick moved the rolls, potatoes, and sliced turkey to the dining room table. There were candles lit on the half wall separating the kitchen from the family room around back, and their entire living space smelled like a compilation of different sweet spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. Their kitchen smelled like a bakery.

He brought over two bottles of sparkling grape juice, white and red, and set them at opposing ends of the kitchen table. Five wine glasses decorated the table along with bright red plates, fancy napkins, and the centerpiece his father had made as a gift last Christmas for his wife. They were a little obsessive about the winter holidays and tried to spread it out as long as possible so that the season didn't have to end.

Patrick was damn hungry, and he was ready to eat. He figured his brother and Lucy felt the same way since they had been waiting on his parents for a while.

He went back to the kitchen to grab the last of the casseroles - cornmeal and chili, his brother's favorite - when Elise Walsh walked into the kitchen.

Elise.

The very same Elise he was about to propose to when he had a meltdown and ended up in rehab for half of a year.

She seemed just as alarmed as he did.

Fuck.

"What are you doing here?"

★。\|/。★
elise
★。/|\。★

The blonde had been still looking at her own feet, making sure she wasn't tripping over anything in the lavishly decorated home. She had always loved the way their decorations seemed to be everlasting, like the magic of Christmas was always present. Her eyes were still glued to her boots, until a voice much too familiar for comfort broke her out of her thoughts. She let out a loud gasp, stepping back. She had almost dropped he grocery bags, her fingers barely grasping around the handles as she looked up.

Patrick. The tall, rather handsome man who had been the center of her love life since high school. The very same one his parents had fucking forgotten to mention. Elise was never upset or furious, but it was possible she was feeling the slight taint of it. A heap of mixed emotions flooded through her veins, ranging from fear to confusion to sadness and everything in between. She hadn't seen him for years. And now it all felt like a bad dream, and she blinked quickly. Her blue eyes regarded him warily as she took a deep breath through her nose. She smelled like cinnamon and fresh baked bread- similar to the room around her that she could smell.

She cleared her throat and swallowed quietly, not meeting his eyes. "Your mother invited me to dinner here tonight, and she didn't tell me you were here," she said meekly. "I wasn't able to make it home for the holidays." Her pretty voice, much like her demeanor, was quiet and innocent. She looked like a young deer in headlights as she frantically tried to adjust the bags she held. "I'll stay out of your way and be gone right after dinner. Don't mind me." She closed her mouth, beginning to slip to his side to put the groceries on the kitchen counter.

full

Patrick shouldn't have been so abrupt, but he was caught off guard completely. He knew that Elise had still lived in the area, but he had gone out of his way to avoid her. He shopped at the nearby town to get his groceries and gas, and his school was in the next district over so that wouldn't be an issue.

In the beginning, it wasn't conscious avoidance. He had been trying to start anew and if he had people around him that reminded him, sadly, about the worst time of his life, he wasn't going to make much progress.

"Mom," he muttered under his breath when Elise made it into the kitchen. "Why wouldn't you tell me she was coming over? I haven't seen her since I've been sober, and this isn't the time."

"Patrick," his mother started, "she had nowhere to go and we have the world to offer. You know that you can't hide from your past forever."

"When I move forward is not up to you," he berated, and he closed the front door and flipped his wrist to lock it. He walked past his mother and into the kitchen.

Just breathe. He took a deep breathe.

"Elise," he said, and he gestured towards the living room. The last time the two of them had been here, together, alone, it was New Years Eve and Patrick had spun Elise so hard in the air that both of them almost vomited on each other. Too many champagne toasts to new beginnings and whatever else the changing of years means.

"I didn't-" he started, when they were alone. "I mean, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were coming. It was a shock, really. I'm-I'm sorry I came off like an ass as soon as you walked in."

He inhaled for a moment to catch his breath. His mind was running, racing in fact, and he felt a little light headed. "I'm sorry you couldn't visit your parents this year. I know how much it means to them."

★。\|/。★
elise
★。/|\。★

Elise politely slipped away and stopped listening when Patrick pulled his mother aside. Her hair tumbled out of her hat as she took it off and tucked it into her coat pocket. She began to set out the food they would need for dinner, and put the rest of the ingredients and other foods in the pantry. It was a wonder she still remembered where everything was, she thought with a smile. She tossed the extra bags, finally taking her coat off and sliding it upon a nearby coatrack.

She lifted her head despite herself as Patrick offered gestured towards her. She bit her lip, hesitating before following. Would he snap at her again like he had those years ago? Her shoes made soft sounds against the flooring, and she passed him and entered the living room with a sigh. The house brought back memories, none unwelcome to her. It was the feelings she associated with them: the worry, the fear. But she had never fallen out of love with him. Her holidays had already been dampened by her inability to see her parents, but this just seemed to be the cherry on top.

She turned to face him as he began speaking, her face lowered and her fingers tangling within one another as she tried to relieve the small tugging of anxiety in her chest. "It's not that big of a deal," she said quietly. "I was just gonna take some wine and stay home." She paused for a moment to think. "And don't apologize or worry about being an ass, I probably deserved it, showing up like this. I'm like a broken record or something. Like I said, just pretend I'm not here. It'll be. . . easier, I guess." He seemed so earnest and kind- it was odd to her. But she continued on, sheepishly dusting off her pants before glancing around, as if looking for a way out.

full

"No, you don't," he started. I'm the one who deserves to be yelled at, questioned. I abandoned her.

Patrick had come to terms with how he left their relationship behind. He had to get healthy, and if he stayed around he was going to end up hurting her, and he wasn't in the right state of mind to explain himself without showing her exactly how bad his alcohol and drug abuse had gotten.

It started off slow. It normally does, he thought. He had his first college beer with a few friends after the school had lost a big soccer game. Freshman year, so he was 18. It progressed normally for a while - he'd get a cocktail or a beer or three with dinner, buy a big bottle of wine for the two of them to share for a holiday, drink a case of beer over a two day weekend. The alcohol wasn't too bad until he started letting other things fall into play.

He was 21 when he had coke for the first time - snorted it right of Jeremy Pinket's kitchen table after being crushed and lined up by an envelope opener. He didn't do much else, but he had thought about it. Coke was easier to hide, and there was too much work in cleaning up needle tracks. They were too obvious, and coke was easy to get. There were dealers left in right, and once he started getting in deeper, they were practically seconds away at all times.

Four years and some odd months ago, it got to the point that Patrick was agitated all the time. It would take just the wrong moment for something to go terribly wrong. He had got back to his and Elise's apartment after almost killing a family by going through a red light. He was at fault, and he was shaking the entire time he drove home. Back then, he was shaking all the time, to be honest. The coke felt like caffeine sometimes, and others he was a mess of the future, past, and present all fucked up into one trembling monstrosity.

So he left. He didn't give much of an explanation saying that he needed to move home to figure some things out, but he knew that he was leaving all of that up in the air to Elise. He wasn't ready to say - oh, fuck, I have a problem. He had barely just admitted it to himself.

Patrick took a deep breath. "Stay as long as you like, okay? We were family for years, we can be here together for an evening." Some day, he'd explain things to here, but it was hard to say all of that at once. There was so much more.

"I think Lucy's back in the family room if you want to say hi to her. Dinner's almost ready, so, uh, we'll call you guys back in a few minutes."

★。\|/。★
elise
★。/|\。★

Elise nodded meekly, her hands held behind her back like a young girl being scolded.

She wondered whether he was serious or not. He had broken up with her after a relationship that spanned many years. It was almost instantaneous that he ended things and moved away from her and his family. Her heart was broken, and she had always blamed herself for it.

She wasn't good enough. Not in her parent's eyes: why would she be in her boyfriend's either? The years following were spent in her own small bakery, making just enough money to scrape by for the next paycheck. She'd always been a quiet and meek young woman, and the separation seemed to solidify that fact. She stayed home and tried to cut costs or find out ways to help others.

But it never worked.

For those years, Elise had been fixing herself- like trying to tape a priceless crystal vase back together. And it worked for a while, but the most important parts of her seemed to be hanging by a thread- the happiness, the loving, the humor. She'd worked her ass off to keep herself and her life together. But she never took up another relationship. El was too nervous that the tape wouldn't hold.

Seconds seemed to turn into hours as she remembered back to their old, small apartment that they shared fresh into college. She remembered fondly upon the times where Patrick and her had been like a real couple- no shouting, anger, or fear. Just love and endless smiles.

But their relationship was not perfect by a long stretch. Her mind couldn't gloss over the times where she'd slept on the couch, or at a friend's house, or simply not at all- wanting to give Patrick his space when he was angered. She took a sharp breath in without thinking, and it seemed to snap her out of it.

She listened with glazed eyes as Patrick continued the conversation, blinking slowly. "Yeah," she replied. "I-uh, I'm sure we can. Thanks." She kept her gaze away from him as she slipped past him towards the family room, undoubtedly one of her favorite places in the house.

Her smile widened and her anxiety seemed to dissipate into thin air as she spotted Lucy, warmly greeting her and enveloping her in a hug, a congratulations for her following. Lucy was another close friend she'd lost in their separation, though they kept in touch every now and then.

"It's good to see you," she murmured. "It's been a while since I've gotten to see everyone, I guess."

full

Patrick wasn't the best person, and he knew that. He knew that he had hurt Elise more than he intended to when he ended things between them. If he hadn't, though, he probably would have hurt her, and that would be more painful than leaving her behind when he went to get help. He had taught himself to calm down, listen and read the moment, and to breathe without having to worry about the rest of the world spinning on without him.

When Elise walked off and mingled with Lucy, he pulled into himself. He wanted to scream, yell, attack his mother for bringing his past back into his home. He had been doing so well and was working himself up to managing these interactions. It was not his mom's place to bring Elise into their home and force him to interact with her. He wasn't ready. He was still healing.

It might have been a few years since he has his last drink - 3 years, 8 months, and 19 days to be precise - but it was a constant battle to pull himself together enough to stay sober. He had been exactly two days longer since he had last snorted an 8-ball, and he thought that he was doing okay.

He had one relapse, went back to rehab, and got himself clean all over again. It was a slip, a fucked up weekend at his friend's cabin, but he fixed himself.

He never told his parents.

"I'm sorry I exploded," he told his mom, walking back into the kitchen. He knew that his outburst was toned down, quiet, and to only her, but he was more frustrated than anything. "You should have told me."

"If I told you, you would have said no," she warned.

Patrick took a deep breath. "I would have every right, too. You don't get to choose when and where I make amends. It has nothing to do with you."

His mother relaxed into herself and nodded. She was kind and cool, Patrick knew this, and she wouldn't hold anything against him. Sharon Graves was a powerhouse of a woman and knew exactly what she wanted and when. She wanted her son's to be happy, Patrick to stay sober, and Brandon to move home.

And Patrick wanted to give that to her.

"We're going to be fine," he said. He still wanted a cigarette. "We'll have a nice dinner and enjoy the evening. But I can't do more of it. I can't have her here the entire week. The last time I saw her, Mom - I was high out of my damn mind and drunk as hell. And when I look at her-"

"I know," his mom said. "You see it. You see yourself." Patrick nodded, and Sharon rested a hand on the small of his back. "But it's obvious that you still care for her, and you'll have to move past that soon."

"Okay," his dad said, and he put a hand on Patrick's shoulder. "Let's get this show on the road. Time to eat!"

Elise had comfortably settled in on one of the many lavish couches the family room had to offer, tucked underneath a blanket and deep in conversation with Lucy. The two had been friends prior, and it was clear they still enjoyed one another's company despite the years of loss of contact. So laughs could be commonly heard from the living room, both Lucy's and Elise's. It was clear these two would get along well.

Memories, anecdotes, and small snippets of gossip flowed between the two young women, their eyes alight with energy and fun. Quite, it seemed, the opposite of the conversation between Patrick and his mother at the time. But the two women got along great.

And that seemed to help Elise feel a little more comfortable within the awkward situation she'd be tumbled into. Her meek, quiet demeanor was slowly slipping away, and it was something new for her. She hadn't been like that in years.

Small whispers of Patrick's conversation were heard, but neither chose to listen in until they were called for dinner. They eagerly pushed themselves out of the warm embrace of the couch, and their bare feet were quiet against the flooring as they sat beside each other at the table. Elise sat in the center of the side, and Lucy was right to her left.

And they waited patiently, faces still glowing, for the meal to be served. All of the food, as expected, looked delicious and smelled just the same.

She quickly stepped out of her chair, placing her jacket on one of the hooks by the door. Her shirt was a soft caramel color, one that matched well with the rest of her outfit. Elise smiled brightly again as both of the Graves parents sat at the table, and she waited for the rest of the family members.

She fiddled with the hem of her sleeve, as if now that the table was full, she'd not know what to say in the comfortable silence.

"Thank you again, Mrs. Graves, for letting me come up here," she began warmly. "I've got a present for you, some champagne in the trunk of my car, I can get it later."

This was all said before Patrick returned to the dining room, but it wasn't as if she couldn't be heard. When a small hush fell over the room, she lowered her head and waved her hand as if to say never mind.

Awkwardly sitting in her chair, the woman waited patiently for the room to forget her statement and begin the meal.

Had she already screwed up her chances at redemption with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back