• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic The Borderliner's: Man or Machine

THE LORE:

It's been five years since the A.I. breakout and the nuclear explosion. An A.I. Zoomer and The Borderliner's had fought the enemy A.I's valiantly, but due to stealing government tech and not being certified the team was outlawed. This only added to the team’s pain from the loss of their medic, Danny 'Bone-saw', who sacrificed himself to stop the A.I. war.

Little did the team know at the A.I.'s had several nuclear fail safes. All the bombs went off which decimated the western U.S., Northern Europe, and the majority of Australia. The UN managed to help in the reconstruction of these areas but were stopped recently by something hostile. Something evil and unearthly.

They called them Evos - mutant animals and beings that had verity grotesque features and an array of dangerous abilities. These creatures started out as animalistic beings, attacking citizens and causing the civilization to migrate east. The Borderliner's, who had been secretly working again, wanted to see what was going on. Sure, animals attack people, but mutants that target authorities? Something wasn't right. They needed help. And needed to protect Zoomer.

Zoomer was an A.I rejected by society. He supposedly ‘learned’ to deal with it but having a human brain, it saddened him he would never be normal. A.I.’s were dangerous. Zoomer knew that personally; he had a secret. Though he saved his team many times, he was built to kill. To wipe out humans. He has never told anyone; not even his team. Little did Zoomer know change was right around the corner…

CHAPTER 1: Recruits
Zoomer strolled past several people in the busy sidewalks of New York's Safecall city. He carried stacks of posters in his arm, posting them in alleyways and bulletin boards. It was old fashioned and cheap, at least in Zoomer's mind. His arm were covered with a leather jacket and his hands were safely shaded by black gloves. Zoomer walked into an alley way that was speckled with new and old graffiti. He pulled poster from the messy stack and read it for the 30th time.

B-line's Mechanics

Help wanted. Bravery, courage needed!

Join in today!

Come to 456 Blaze street, if interested.​

Zoomer knew not many people needed mechanical jobs these days, but that was the point. Someone who would really need it would come and receive the job, only it wasn't a real mechanical job. It was a position on the Borderliner's forces. Zoomer hoped that whoever it was, would allow him to get some more free time outside of a simulator or base.

A woman, in a tan dark trench coat with an equally as dark ivy cap, walked the streets of Safecall. She took many back alleys to avoid people as much as possible. Her hands were tucked away into the coat's pockets. If someone saw her eyes, they'd be surprised at how bloodshot they were. The woman hadn't slept in days. She'd barely managed to keep herself somewhat fed, but finding a place to rest was all but impossible. As she strode through an alley, she took note of a fresh placed poster. Out of the corner of her eye she noticed a man walking away with what appeared to be a stack of papers.

She quickly took a look at the text of the poster. She wasn't too sure about any of it, but there was a chance she could get a job. One she needed greatly. The chances of them looking into her history seemed low, she might be able to work without trouble for once. Just as she finished reading, she turned to look for the man again. Not seeing him in the alley, she tried to focus but came up with nothing. Definitely odd, but she shrugged it off and made her way to the addressed location. It didn't take too long, but she was slow as she avoided others and continued to have dizzy spells from her lack of sleep. She standing right in front of the building.

Zoomer, now done with his job, headed back to home. Not surprising his home was at the same location of the address on the poster. It was strange a mechanic's job would be located at a homely shelter, but it was a job none the less. Zoomer was surprised at the fact that someone responded so fast. It was almost unearthly. Zoomer walked up next to the woman rather cheerfully.

"Hey! That was a fast response." Zoomer stated. "I'll be right back, I'll send Zero out for you."

With this, the A.I. walked inside and sighed. A scanner searched him and let him into the Boderliner's Haven. A moment later, the girl they called Zero opened the door for the new 'employee'. Zero brushed a white hair out of her face and sighed.

"Alright let's cut to the chase. How brave are you?" Zero said. This was a rather odd question. "And are you any good at medical treatment?'

"I wouldn't call myself brave at all. Rather my desperation calls for a lack of fear. I hope that will suffice...wait, is this my interview?" Prisca asked. She straightened up a bit. "Um... Zero, ma'am, I was a registered nurse. I can't confirm my certification, but I know basic first aid and treatment procedures."

Prisca was too confused to wonder why she was being asked these questions outside of the building or why the building was the type it was. This lady, Zero, seemed to be the commanding type. In comparison to Prisca's timidness, she was a stark contrast. Prisca tried to search her memory for anything she could use to improve her chances. For a moment she was tempted to read the woman in front of her, but hesitated at the thought. Some people, while not like her, could feel when they were being read.

Zero smiled slightly at Prisca's response, quite amused seeing that everyone in the Borderliner's (with the exception of Zoomer) had given a similar response to being questioned of one's bravery. Zero opened the door and welcomed the woman in.

"C'mon in. Let's a get a real interview with the 'boss'." Zero said. "By the way, What's your name?"

She didn't mention anything Borderliner wise to make sure this wasn't a government trick. Zero was just as eager as the rest of the team to get a medic, but she was cautious.

"Priscilla...De Cecelia, but Prisca is fine." She assumed that she had passed the initial test, whatever it was. Prisca followed Zero into the building. She wondered who the boss might be, didn't seem like the guy from before was boss material. Then again why did they ask her about medical aid, wasn't this a mechanical job? Maybe they were contractors that worked in dangerous areas. Prisca wondered what she was getting herself into.

"Alright Prisca, Let me get the boss." Zero explained, opening the next door to a room that looked rather like a mechanic's lounge. It wasn't the same door Zoomer went through, but he was there. Zoomer still wore his jacket and gloves, looking rather nervous. He had been hoping for a new recruit like the rest of the team.

"Ben can take your coat and such for you. Just wait here and relax." Zero said, walking into another chamber (one of which that Prisca wouldn't get past at the time).

Ben (who was actually Zoomer) got up clumsily from his chair at this indirect command issued by Zero.

"Oh yes erm..." Zoomer said. "I can do that for you uh... ma'am."

Zoomer reached out his hands as to ask for her coat. He was careful not to expose any mechanical joints in his gloved wrist.

IdeaLover IdeaLover

Last edited:
"I'd prefer to keep it." Prisca declined. She walked past Ben and sat down in one of the chairs. Taking in the room, she felt a few others were in the building. However, he didn't seem to have a signal. Prisca looked at Ben, eyeing to the point of almost glaring. Maybe he was also special, maybe he was capable of hiding his presence. Prisca took a sudden interest in him. "Ben right? Sit down, I want to ask you something."

She gestured to the seat next to her. The thought of another like her lit a fire in her heart. She'd normally be quite cautious and closed off, but something about him made her curious.

Zoomer was taken a back at the offer and the slight command. He adjusted his gloves and coat nervously, not wanting to reveal himself just yet. He took a seat carefully next to her, thoughts fluttering around in his human brain. Zoomer hoped she wouldn't be to pushy.

"Alright," he managed. "I'll answer as well as I can." Zoomer added in his mind, and what I'm allowed to.

Zoomer didn't make direct eye-contact. He didn't know exactly why but he couldn't. It was a nervous habit, though his confidence would kick in after a while. And it did. Pushing his thoughts away, he looked her in the eyes and smiled.

Her eyes were piercing, and she wore a devilish smile. She didn't say anything for a few minutes, just kept staring at him. Not matter how hard she focused nothing came of it. She curled her lips licking them inside her mouth before speaking. "Ben, do you know what I'm thinking right this second?"

"Not exactly." Zoomer said. This confused him. "I not sure if I understand."

He was right. By Prisca's looks, he could read that she was attempting something. Something that made him lock eyes with her. Zoomer tried to read her by her body language but was drawn back to her eyes. He didn't know exactly what Prisca wanted. She seemed secretive, maybe even afraid.

"I see..." She turned away from him breaking the gaze. "Normally, I can tell want anyone is thinking if I'm in close proximity, but I can't do that with you."

Prisca looked back at him this time taking in his whole being. "You're not normal."

She left it there. Turning away, she closed her eyes and sighed. Facing the ceiling she stayed like that for a few moments. "If you're not like me, then your head must be made of metal...so dense that even I can't tell what's going on inside."

Zoomer was amazed and fascinated at this response. Prisca's was different. She could read minds to an extent. His mouth a bit agape, he had a loss for words. Besides this, she had said his head was metal. She wasn't far off. I'm going to get it in over my head for this. He looked away from the newcomer.

"Listen. This is crazy and don't kill me." Zoomer started. "I'm not what you think I am. I am not human. I am not Ben. I'm-"

Captain Doug stepped out from the door Zero had entered with a warm welcoming smile. Doug was large and a bit odd looking, but his eyes and smile made him almost sparkle.

"You must be Prisca. Getting to know our so called Ben I see. Come with me." He said. "Whatever you do... Don't fangirl on me. Too loud." His joking nature was showing through as usual.

Last edited:
Prisca listened to Ben with slight interest and confusion. Why would she kill him? What was he if not human? Before these could be answered, Zero returned with another man, a large person that seemed quirky. "I'll try not to..." She went along with his joke.

Prisca followed him despite still having an interest in what Ben was about to say. Zero also seemed to be in a better mood than before. Prisca hoped she wouldn't reprimand Ben for not taking the coat. Prisca preferred clothing that covered her body well.

They all stepped into a small elevator. The combination of Doug's large build and a total of four passengers made it rather crammed in the elevator. Zoomer was uncomfortably squeezed in between Zero and Prisca. Zoomer attempt to get more comfortable only to get elbowed by a angry Zero. Doug laughed heartily.

"Well, I didn't think about this." he said, pressing a button with a hand on it. That was a rather odd button for a elevator. "Guest included." Doug seemed to be talking to some automated system.

A green light flashed like a laser scanning the group over. After that there was silence. The elevator didn't move. Then, out of nowhere, it shot downward rather fast. Zoomer watched Prisca's expression and couldn't help but smile. Everyone was prepared for this except her.

They stepped out into a spacious room filled with control panels, bits of old machinery, and many intricate objects.

"Welcome, Prisca!" Doug said, raising his hands as if something grand had happened. "To the Borderliner's home base!"

Prisca was a little uncomfortable, she wasn't prepared to be this close to people. When Ben got elbowed she let out a small laugh. She was starting to get worried when Doug began doing odd things and what was that green light. But as soon as the elevator dropped, she found herself clinging to him slightly. The room the entered when the elevator finally stopped was strange, unlike anything she had seen before.

As Doug introduced her to the place she had an odd feeling. "I think I should go..."

Doug looked at her curiously and then bit his lip looking down, letting out a sigh. Zero shook her head. Zoomer dropped his coat that he was attempting to hang up and laughed, which soon faded because realized Prisca was serious.

Zoomer - his arms now exposed, the red plating glistening with the surrounding light - walked up to the Prisca.

"You can't exactly do that... You've seen a lot." Zoomer said.

"The blockheads right." Zero admitted.

Doug looked back at the new recruit and firmly stated, "It may be frighting with the government and all, but we want you on our side. We'll cover your back, give you shelter and beyond that give you food! Who can say no to food?"

Zoomer looked at the group, on the verge of despair. He wanted a new team member and had been working on finding one for a long while.

"Um...I was joking. No need to get so serious. Also cool arms, cyber augments or full on limbs?" Prisca let out a laugh, trying to calm the darker mood.

Doug laughed deep and loud. It was the closest thing to a real 'ho ho ho' from Santa Claus. It was warm and inviting.

"You've got a sense of human don't you." Doug said, still laughing. "We'll get a long well. This is Zero, our engineer and this... This isn't Ben."

Zoomer smiled, showing his happiness with both Doug's laugh and Prisca's acceptance. He stretched out his metal hand, which was surprisingly warm, to great Prisca.

"I'm Zoomer, the fastest thing in this room." Zoomer said. "And they are actual limbs. And my head... Is metal."

Zero rolled her eyes, but still was ecstatic about they're new team member. She just had a weird way of showing it. She waved at Prisca.

"Hi." she said simply. "Welcome home."

"I try," Prisca laughed. She listened to Doug and Zoomer's explanation. Taking his hand and shaking it, "So that's why I couldn't read anything from you."

Prisca turned to Zero and waved slightly, "I really like the sound of that. But aren't you guys, you know, wanted and all?"

She wobbled slightly at her question. Sleep deprivation was getting to her. She still held Zoomer's hand and actually fell into him, leaning against his frame allowing him to support her. "Sorry, I haven't slept in days. So some rest sounds better than free food right now."

Zoomer was right about being fast. As he saw their new member start to topple. His mechanical hands blurred as he shifted them to support Prisca frame comfortably. It was strange that he actually did so, but he did acting on his instinct to help. Zoomer held her tightly as Doug and Zero passed by.

"Smooth." Zero muttered.

A weird feeling Zoomer had never felt before flooded his mechanical body, almost as weird kind of embarrassment. His body felt warm, but in an awkward way and his eyes flickered. He quickly snapped out of it as Doug issued a command.

"Hey, Zoomer." Doug whooped. His voice was a big as his build. "Get her some food. Not Donuts. Something good. And water."

But donuts are good, Zoomer thought. He left rapidly after setting Prisca in a chair at the table which Zero and Doug sat.

Everything blurred for a moment as she found herself now sitting at a table. She was used to getting little sleep, but this last week had been harder than she realized. The entire time she may have gotten only five hours of sleep broken up into bits between half an hour and a few minutes. Nothing of quality, she was in dire need of some good rest. But what was a few more hours, she tried to perk up and hear what Doug and Zero needed to say. Only then did she notice Zoomer to be missing.

"Sorry, zoned out for a moment there. Were we talking about anything?" She asked sheepishly.

Zoomer came back with a good looking Sub-Way style sandwich and a glass of water. He wasn't running for fear of dropping the food and water. He placed it neatly in front of Prisca and sped to a chair on the other side of the table.

Zero sat at the table next to Prisca, while Doug took a big chair at the head of it.

"So... first things first." Doug said. "You need a cool nickname."

Zoomer perked up, having picked the cool nicknames before. Except Zero. That was Doug's idea. It represented her agile and quick thinking and able to Zero in on a problem. Though Zoomer used it as a insult in arguments.

Zero rolled her eyes. "Maybe she should just calm down and get some rest. Then we can talk about things like that. She's exhausted."

"Nickname?" Prisca asked. "Do I get to pick one? Or do you all come up with it?"

Hearing Zero's proposal, Prisca's eyes brightened. "Sleep sounds great. Reconvening in a few, maybe several, hours would be nice."

She drank some of her water and took a few bites of her sandwich. It was heavenly having good food after so long. "Ooh, I just remembered something. What about Viva? Like from Viva la Resistance."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back