• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic The Black Divide (Paused)

"Look, you know what I think about Victor?" she asks, and folds her arms over her chest, gripping her own biceps, shaking out her hands restlessly. "I think he's great. I think he's an absolute hardass and I want to basically be him when I grow up, or whatever. He doesn't have any patience for idiots and I'm kind of thinking that corporate fixer is something I could do once I'm too old and slow to fly ships anymore."

She gulps a breath, jutting her chin out at you as if she's waiting for you to argue with her.

- Answer.

I shouldn't be shocked, but I can't help the surprise that crosses my face. Not because I expected any different from Eira, but because I didn't see the admittance coming, of all times, now. "Hey, I get it. I mean, well, I don't share the same dream, but I understand where you're coming from," I tell her honestly. Harboring a dream amidst adversity is kind of how I became a captain. Or at least, it's the start of the story. "And I'm glad you've figured out what you want to do in the future." Again, I am sincere. It's great Eira has her life planned out, even if it's a rough draft, and it reminds me that I should probably start doing the same at some point. I don't have a clue what to do should something happen with my current career.

"But," I continue, "I still need to talk to Victor, because something shady is going on with DRT." Throwing my hands up, palms out and placating, I add: "I'm not accusing him. I just need answers."

Eira holds your gaze for a few heartbeats, then her shoulders slump.

She hesitates, glancing back at her displays.

"Well anyway, I wasn't actually asking for advice," she says. "I wanted to sort of agree with you. I like him, so I'm not saying this lightly. He… he knows stuff just as it happens, before I even can tell you. Think about it: every time we're picking something up on scanners, or getting an external comm, he's there to stick his oar in. He's hacked into our systems. There's no other explanation. So what are you going to do about it?"

- Talk to him.
- Snoop around his stuff.
- Check the systems.
- First tell her about the Thorn Chaser.

That's a big accusation but one I'm inclined to take seriously, coming from Eira. "Shit," I pinch the space between my eyes, because it all makes so much sense now, how he seemed to know everything the moment it happened. I've given myself an hour, tops, to make a decision on whether or not the Eleos is sticking around for T-PES, but there's so much I need to do to feel confident in my choice.

"As much as I want to check the systems, I need to see what we're carrying on behalf of De Rege Technologies, first," I tell her, diving into a quick briefing of what the team found on the Thorn Chaser. After the briefing concludes, I look to the door. "I'm going to ask Victor to meet me in cargo. Hopefully, he'll be able to explain what's going on."

Last edited:
"He'll appreciate you being direct about it, I bet," Eira says with a hint of nervousness. Whether she's nervous on your behalf, or Victor's, you can't tell.

You check the internal sensors for Victor's personal computer and find he's leaving the showers. When he arrives at the cargo bay by your request he's got a duffel slung over his shoulder and a bottle of phenomenally expensive shampoo in one hand.

When he catches sight of you his expression shifts with impatience and something that might have been worry on anyone else. He squares his shoulders, lifts one eyebrow. "Captain Centrich. How can I help you?"

- Answer.

Oh, now this just feels awkward, I think, staring at the duffel and shampoo on display. It's prime opportunity for an interrogation but considering I've never been good at playing Bad Cop—or cop in general—I feel more like I'm inconveniencing him. Get it together, Zyrina.

"We, uh," I clear my throat. This is nothing. I'm not accusing him of anything, just asking questions. "I'm curious about the car—You see, there's been a bit of confusion—" I facepalm to shut myself up.

This is a train wreck.

"Okay, I'll be honest," I say after a pause. "We found some weird stuff on the Thorn Chaser that links to De Rege Technologies and I really don't want to think the Eleos is transporting some sort of weapon, or that you've hacked into our systems, because despite your attitude you seem like a decent guy and I can't imagine you wittingly working for a shady corporation, but here we are..." I say it all in one go, inhaling sharply at the end for lack of air. Gesturing towards the nearest crate with DRT's label, I ask: "What's going on?"

Victor's shoulders tighten with tension, though he doesn't look surprised. You're distinctly aware that he might have foreseen this and thought to prepare a story.

"The Thorn Chaser crew were working for De Rege, yes," he says, "under an independent hauling contract like yours, for confidential cargo. Other than that, I genuinely don't know - perhaps it's what we're transporting, but I'm in the dark as much as you. I'm sorry. I wish I could be more help."

He turns smartly on his heel and marches back in the direction he came without offering further explanation.

Before you can stop him, Eira buzzes you, "T-PES is here." She says, "They are ordering us to stop and prepare for boarding."

- Do so.
- Don't do it.

"Of course they are," I exhale through gritted teeth. Victor's response is reminding me a bit too much of the times I tried calling out my dad back home for bad business ethics, T-PES is waiting outside and they're not known for the best behavior, and I'm at my wits end because despite everything I'm still no closer to an answer.

I have half a mind to open the cargo boxes myself, if only to find out whether the Eleos is transporting dangerous cargo that T-PES could potentially fry my ass for, and suddenly wonder if a similar fear is what came over Captain Schultz.

Crap.

Still, I have to let them in. Even if I could find a way to hide the DRT cargo, T-PES would be able to find out about the agreement with little effort, if they didn't already know. The best I can do is give Roshan a heads up and hope he'll do his best to keep secret what we extracted from the Thorn Chaser.

"Let them in," I tell Eira, "and notify the crew that T-PES is here."

Eira powers down, and Oscar gets the ship ready. T-PES have a classic patrol ship: small, a crew of five, with long-distance scanners and communications, medium-to-long-distance missiles and powerful engines. They're able to move fast and quick, and to surgically strike where necessary.

You note that patrol ships never have room for prisoners. This ship is heavy enough to be able to tow a powered-down ship, though you're not sure if that's reassuring or not.

While you're getting sorted, Victor comms you: "It goes without saying that the less DRT gets involved, the smoother everything will be. Keep my presence here as covert as possible."

- Answer.

Taking a deep breath, I manage to calm myself... somewhat. Victor's words now are more telling than the story he spun moments ago, summoning a leaden weight in my gut.

I don't bother to respond as I exit the cargo hold, heading towards the airlock to greet our 'guests'.

Victor sighs, the noise popping static over the comm line. "I hope they don't bother you too much, Zyrina." He says into the emptiness.

The patrol ship connects with your airlock with a clank and a jolt.

They've sent only two of the five officers onboard, however, they're in combat gear rather than their black-and-grey uniforms. Their rifles are holstered, but their armour gleams dark and wicked under the Eleos's lights. Perhaps they think only two of them would be needed to take down you and your crew.

The woman in front has dark skin and gleaming, auburn hair scraped back into a bun. She nods to you. "Tenente Halvorsen of the XR-One. This is my second, Tenente Aspirant Smith."

The man behind her nods, his shoulders slumped rather than at parade rest. He looks a little nervous, and you get the impression Halvorsen is happy he's not trying to talk.

"Follow me to your galley," Halvorsen continues, "and make your report so I can decide whether or not your vessel should be impounded."

- Be friendly.
- Be professional.
- Be rude.
- Be firm.

"Welcome to the Eleos," I smile, then introduce myself as Captain Zyrina Centrich. As much as I'd like to stand my ground like the heroes I admired as a kid, I'm terrified. With the threat of my ship getting impounded and the intimidating air of the primary T-PES officer making me feel small, I've never felt less like a captain in my life.

So I follow them, even though this is my ship and if anyone should be leading the way, it's me.

By the time we reach the galley, I feel ill despite the friendly smile on my face.

Last edited:
Halvorsen is not what you would ever describe as friendly, but even a grumpy T-PES officer can't keep up an icy facade in front of your smile. The two of you trade a couple of stories about space storms before you reach the galley.

Once you reach the galley, Halvorsen stays standing and Smith looms behind your shoulder, just out of your peripheral vision. It's a classic T-PES procedure for questioning and interrogation.

Halvorsen checks her tablet. "Your XO has informed us you found no survivors, no wounded, no bodies. Another scout ship is examining the Thorn Chaser now to verify your data. If you are lying, your ship will be impounded and your shipping license revoked for refusing to obey our orders. Explain what you found and explain yourself."

How much detail are you going to go into? Will you tell her your theories about De Rege?

- Tell her everything.
- Tell her everything, but don't tell her about salvaging.
- Tell her the minimum.
- Tell her what you found out, but nothing about De Rege.

"Ah," I nod, resisting the urge to swallow lest they see my discomfort. "Rest assured, if there were any survivors, I'd have taken them aboard for treatment. We... Well, we found missing supplies in the medbay along with some dried blood by the x-ray machine and in cargo, but no people." I am honest about my concerns for those who were on the Thorn Chaser, even though the blood was minimal.

Everything else, such as mentions of DRT, the salvaging, or Schultz's log? I don't even bring it up.

"It doesn't look like they were boarded forcefully, but I can't imagine something so bad that they'd abandon ship," I say, still trying to remain honest amidst the surge of emotions returning from my exploration into the Thorn Chaser. Talking becomes natural, now, because I have nothing to hide when showing concern for those who were on the abandoned ship. "Will T-PES launch an official investigation into the missing people? If so, the Eleos will help in any way that it can."

Halvorsen listens carefully, eyebrow raised impatiently like she can tell you're phoning it in. Her tablet computer records your every word.

"I have noted your lack of clarity and openness." Spoken like she's checking something off a to-do-list. Like she was expecting you to disappoint her. "Tell me, Captain Centrich, what cargo are you transporting to Vesta Station?"

- Answer.

I lift my brows, the leaden weight returning not only full force, but significantly heavier than before.

"I, uh, am sorry you feel that way," I say, reminiscent of all the times I said that to my own mother. I fear I might actually be sick in front of T-PES, so this time I don't hide how I swallow.

I'm full blown panicking now because, by the fucking stars, I should know exactly what is aboard the Eleos at all times, but I don't. I trust, and that trust is betrayed, and oh god, how many times have I possibly unwittingly smuggled something across borders for some client flashing me a reassuring smile and a couple of honeyed words?

I'm so stupid.

"The Eleos is transporting food to Vesta Station," I say, suddenly remembering the potentially contaminated vegetables I need to get rid of at the next official stop and what the Children of the Nova had to offer. "Which kind of puts us on a super tight schedule, so... if I didn't do the most thorough job with the Thorn Chaser, I'm sorry, but I was honest in what I told you."

Last edited:
Halvorsen rolls her eyes and holds up one hand in the middle of a sentence. "This is tiresome," she says flatly. "I didn't come here for you to waste my time."

The door to the galley clanks: Oscar and Eira both sidle through, Oscar first with a mildly terrified expression, and Eira trying to look tough and respectful at the same time.

"Excuse me, officers," Oscar says. In a questioning tone, he says something in a Portuguese dialect you haven't heard from him before.

"We won't interfere, of course," Eira adds.

Halvorsen ignores Eira, examining Oscar closely. You can't imagine what she must be looking at: the mop of messy curls, the lined features, the careful hopefulness in his eyes. She shakes her head.

"I'm sorry," she adds. "We'll let you know when we're done with your captain."

Smith gestures to the door and closes it behind your crew. Halvorsen turns the full force of her attention back to you. "I suppose you've attempted to make a report of some kind. But still, you need an inspection. Things are not in order here."

- Try to convince her it's not needed.
- Let her inspect it.
- Try looking sweet and innocent.
- Hope your paperwork is up to spec.

I see Oscar and Eira and, immediately, my heart soars. Like a second wind, the fog in my brain begins to clear. I'm terrified, yes, and stupid, yes, but I am captain of the Eleos and my crew depends on me. I left my sister behind, but that doesn't mean I'm on my own.

"Seriously?"

When they shut the door and Halvorsen turns back to me, I'm able to see through most of her intimidating aura. Most of it. My knees still feel like jelly, but that's beside the point.

"T-PES ordered the Eleos to search for survivors and we did exactly that, and now you want to use valuable time in looking for those missing persons to rifle through my paperwork, which I haven't had the time to update because I was too busy doing exactly as you asked?" I ask, willing my voice not to tremble—with anger or fear, I'm not sure. "If things are not in order here, it's because T-PES picked a random, unqualified passerby to do its job for them."

With my mind clear, the more Halvorsen reminds me of my mom, so detached and accusing of everything I do or say, and the easier it becomes to be defiant. The easier it is to show I disapprove.

"But, by all means, do your inspection and show everyone how T-PES prioritizes bullying a cargo ship over saving lives."

Last edited:
Her eyes flash dangerously.

"You're very fortunate we've heard the report of what you did for the Elegant Glider. If it weren't for that we'd think that perhaps you weren't a healthy presence in the Black. But we'll overlook today in recognition of your efforts."

Halvorsen stares at you unblinking for several breaths, then nods. "Hmm. Well. We'll get out of your hair. Thank you for your cooperation, Captain."

It's like the whole ship is holding its breath until Halvorsen and Smith have left. You watch them exit through the airlock, you listen to the airlock whirr, and you wait for Eira to comm from the nest: "Right, they're gone. Crisis averted. We're free to leave."

"I need a drink," Roshan says over the ship-wide comms.

Eira snorts. "You didn't even see them!"

"Because I knew I'd need more drinks after. Come on, everyone, I've got starshine in the engine room and pomegranate mixers. I might be able to rustle up some little drink umbrellas for the fancy folk."

- Join in.
- Don't join.

The ship is holding its breath and so am I, letting out a too-long exhale once Eira confirms their departure. I run a hand down my face, fingers trembling.

Alcohol is probably the worst and best thing right now, considering the memories that interrogation dug up and the jitters still hounding me, but it's the first thing I think of, even before Roshan reminds the crew of his store.

"I hope you have enough," is all I say before convincing my legs to finally move.

Everyone, except Victor, joins the party at Roshan's cabin. Victor is not invited anyway.

In the cabin, Roshan is on one side making drinks already, while others arrange themselves on the chairs and a very uncomfortable sofa. Oscar is the only one standing and looking at his PDA which he brought along.

- Talk to Roshan.
- Talk to Shiori.
- Talk to Eira.
- Talk to Oscar.
- Talk to Dylan.

Everyone gathered makes me feel a bit better and, normally, I'd dive right into group conversation, but Oscar catches my attention. He's still working, even after the situation with T-PES, and I'm not for it. As my executive officer, Oscar deserves a break just as much, if not more than I do, considering the things I put him through.

"No, no, no," appearing in front of him, I cover his PDA with my hands. "We're all taking a break, and that includes you."

Last edited:
Oscar gives you a sideways glance, then sighs, turning off the device.

"Fine," He says, "but there's a lot of urgent business."

"Drink first." Roshan says, practically showing a glass of his turpentine in his hands. He then clicks his own glass with Oscar's and downs it in one swallow with a shudder. "Might not need more than one." He smiles at you, handing you a glass a well.

- Drink.
- Talk to someone.
- Leave.

"It'll be fine," I tell him, taking the glass and knocking it back. It burns my throat, forcing me to stop halfway through; I fear I'm going to gag. "Eugh," my whole body shudders. I've never been fond of alcohol—not even the sugar-sweet champagne served at my family's corporate galas or the dessert wine poured on holidays—but the idea of downing several shots seemed so doable mere moments ago. Apparently, even with the threat of pissing off T-PES and getting the Eleos impounded, I'm no drinker.

You hear Oscar chuckle at your reaction. He also promptly leaves his drink on the table. The others are not holding back however, even if Dylan needs a bit of goading.

Soon enough most of your crew it drunk, but Oscar retires early. Going to sleep, he claims, though you know he's going to turn on that PDA the moment he walks out the door.

--

It's day sixty-seven of your journey to Vesta Station, and you're on approach to Mars. The Martian refuelling and resupply station, Martian Beta, is to be your berth, as it always is: the large station orbits Mars and provides harbour without ships having to expend the massive quantities of fuel they'd need to land on the planet surface.

Going by Martian time, it's morning, and you're due to dock in the next hour. Now is the time for you to work out what your priorities will be for the stopover: repairs, resupply, or recreation. Oscar's already prepared you a status report - "I don't want you having to choose blindly, Zyrina" - which you read over your morning…

- Coffee.
- Water.
- Tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back