• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy the between. [main]

Maevrys

Just another face.
VM9F1X9.jpg

• Greetings, newly deceased. Please don't panic when you see your translucent form, you're still settling into this plane. This place is your new home for the foreseeable future. Your memories will be foggy for a while, it will be hard to remember, but memory will come with time. Relax, you are safe now.
    Individuals spawn from nothingness, the world they come into not even complete. At first, all they see is white. Then -- as if a painter is painting on a blank canvas -- they see a world form around them. The greeting flows into their mind in their own voice like a thought. It's the only solid information they can pull out of their head. Everything else is blank.

main thread || ooc || character archive

Last edited:
I10ZmB6.png
Waking is the easy part. It's when your eyes open that everything feels crazy. All white around you, as though you're staring at a blank piece of paper. Nothing's been written here. If muscle memory serves you right, you think to move your arm to try and see if you are there. It's your attempt at making yourself feel somewhat sane. But when there is no solid arm -- when all you see is a translucent version -- your brain starts to go in crazy directions.

Instinctively, you try to pull whatever knowledge you can from your brain to make sense of your situation. Did you take some kind of drug? Are you under any influence? Where are you? It's in that moment that a memory slips into your mind, feeling foreign and familiar all at once. I'm still settling into this world, I'll be alright. This is my new home. Your mind is calmed by this knowledge, your body no longer rigid. It's your conscience that has the issue, poking at the information that seemed to be copy/pasted into your brain.

When you look around again, you notice the scene has been freshly painted around you. Huge, fluffy clouds fill the blue skies that stare down at you. The clouds do not move, everything but you is still. At your feet is a sea of water that stretches across the plane, and a single road. There is no other person in sight as far as you can see. The knowledge makes you realize how alone you are. More information settles into your mind: Follow the path. Your arm is solid, your body feels real now. You're dressed in what you would identify as your normal attire, but your memory is still fuzzy. Only one thing is clear and real to you... I'm dead.
design inspired by Fyuri​

Apollo James Clarke

The silence was deafening. The fact he didn't know where he was was even more terrifying. He could walk, yes. That was a positive but the fact that he didn't know who he was, where he was going or why he was here just confused him. What could he remember? It was practically nothing. It was all so blurry. Darkness, pain, then a bright light and nothing. Why couldn't he remember anything? What happened to him?

Apollo just kept walking. The cloud like ground felt weird underneath his feet but he ignored it. Small things were irrelevant right now. It was then when he saw a sign in his mind. He didn't know how it was possible. 'Follow the path,' the message said. He sighed. If this meant he'd remember more then he'd do it. He walked on. Why is darkness light and pain all he can think of? Was the pain even his? He rolled his eyes. Of course it was his, why else would he know it? But why pain? He was asking himself too many questions but he had to know. It was important to him somehow. Like knowing lots of different things was a big deal to him.

It was here when it all came crashing down on him. He stopped on the path. Darkness, pain and then a bright light. It was the only logical answer. He was dead. He dropped to his knees and threaded his fingers through the cloud like ground. Apollo didn't believe in life after death. Why was he here? He didn't deserve to be here. He started to breathe heavily, his pulse speeding up and his hands becoming clammy. Why was he here? He had to know. He didn't know why but he had to. Why didn't he know? Why? That was the only word coming out of his mouth whist in the panic attack, "Why?" And that was a pretty big question. He'd just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
  • Morgan Michaels
Morgan's vision was severely impaired as he started to regain awareness. Bright white; or to be more specific, complete blankness. Very slowly, his vision started to clear; not helping much since everything was still white. Sensations in his body were quite numb, but not nonexistent. Morgan could feel his arms, legs, his whole body. Though, it seems that reality disagreed; Morgan's body was translucent. "W-what?!" was all Morgan could find himself able to mumble. Almost like a speeding train, fear took over his psyche. "Where am I? What's with my body?!" These words would find no direct answer, whether this is beneficial is debatable. Scared and alone in this white space, Morgan nearly found himself at the point of total breakdown.

Except, this breakdown never occurs. Strangely, Morgan slowly starts to feel calm; quite unusual in any logical situation. For some reason, a feeling of acceptance washed over him; like Morgan was supposed to be there. This conflicted with the fear until Morgan was no longer afraid, more so slightly confused. "I...I" He stuttered, not able to put his mental processes into comprehensible words.

Thankfully, the whiteness began to dissipate; clouds in a blue sky above, an obscenely clear sea of water in all directions. Morgan felt the need to turn around and take in this almost storybook-like landscape. Then, he stopped. A road of some sort stretches into the horizon, complementing the clear waters on either side of it. "This road...." Morgan bends down to get a closer look; but..his body no longer felt weird. It felt....normal, his hands were no longer see through; the realization of this made Morgan clap his hands in assurance. Mild joy is the best way to describe this young man currently.

But the road again....he could not draw himself from looking at it going so far ahead. "T-this...road, I need to....follow it?" Morgan took a step forward. "I need to follow it?" Another hesitant step forward. "Yes, I need to follow it." He decided, shifting into a full walk. What could possibly exist at the end was a complete mystery to this man.

Vici Muliercula

Grey eyes opened, slowly taking in the view before her but not understand what she was seeing. Everything was white. An unnerving bright white that seemed to hold no depth. "Wha...?" Even her own voice initially sounded unnerving. It was like listening to someone talk underwater--slightly echo-y and muted. The familiar feel of panic bubbled deep in her chest. Like disturbed water, it clawed up her throat once she looked down on herself, extending her arms out in front of her and realizing she could see through them. Barely, but the transparency was there.

Vici's heart picked up pace. 'What happened to me?' The scariest thing about being in an unfamiliar environment is not remembering how you even got there. Clenching her hands into a fist, she tried to control her breathing--something she always did when she was nervous--to calm herself but she didn't have to. This is home. Home, huh? Her eyes finally adjusted to the place around her and she noticed the vast water beneath her feet and the clouds above her head. "They look like paintings..." She mumbled, noticing how they didn't move at all even with the wind gently rustling her hair around her shoulders. The femme secured a pale strand behind her ear before her focus was once again called by that thought in her head.

Follow the path.

And follow she did. With every step she took along the endless road, she felt less weightless. Her previously silent, almost airy, footsteps now gave off a soft thud. The feeling of floating soon disappeared and the previously unnoticed fear of just disappearing vanished. Vici once again looked at her hands and was pleased to notice that she couldn't see through them anymore. The curl on her plum colored tiers couldn't be mistaken for anything less than a smile. As she kept on walking, her mind wandered once more. Even as the calm set in, she never really did figure out where she was or what happened. Her brows furrowed and her head tilted to the side. "Well, I know one thing for sure." She said out loud, wanting to just break the odd silence of solitude around her. "I'm dead." Her footstep faltered and her eyes widened. "Oh... I'm dead."

White nothing but pure white stood in front of Fuyuki as she stared blankly ahead. She had yet to even understand she was even around, her eyes blinked a few times and she snapped out of her trance. Looking around she didn't recognize this place but that wasn't saying much she didn't remember a lot. To ground herself in reality she clenched her fist and looked at it only to see a translucent version of her arm. Her brain began to attempt to make sense of this. 'Drugs!? No no I swore those off that can't be it can it?' That's when the thought hit her so naturally as if it was something she had just forgotten. 'Oh that's I'm still settling here. Settling into my new home I'm......I'm alright?' She finished her thought as a question still not completely sure of herself.

The path in front of her stared back as she went back to her trance like stare. Her eyes than snapped away to look around finding no other person she found she was alone. While not too bothered by this she wasn't totally fine with it either. Fuyuki noticed her arm was solid now as was her whole body. Her gaze landing back on the path she took a step forward. "Gotta follow the path." She muttered to herself she shoved her hands into her hoodie pockets. She took a few steps her mind going blank for a moment only to hit her with harsh news. Stopping suddenly in her tracks her eyes stared out into nothing. Her hands reached slowly up to her face and touched it she was here. Yet this new information that she seemed to only just remember told her that she was in fact, "Dead?"

It was something she didn't understand at first since she had no memory of dying. Despite this she couldn't 100% deny the new knowledge. It was like something inside her just knew this was true and wanted her to just accept it. Her legs felt heavy now as they wobbled slightly. Fuyuki stumbled but before she could fall she slammed a fist into her leg as if to beat the wobbling out of it. Somehow it seemed to work calming her nerves she stood straight all she could understand at this point, was she had to follow this path. What this path meant and what this place was she figured she'd have no hope of answering for now this path was all that mattered.

I10ZmB6.png
[Morgan, Vici, Fuyuki] As you walk, the path swerves right and left, following a wave pattern. For such a clear, unchanging scenery, the path winding makes no sense. There's no visible obstruction that should cause the path to wind, but stepping off it is something you are too afraid to do. You know in your heart of hearts that should you fall or jump, something terrible would happen. So instead you continue on the path.

[Apollo] Unfortunately, you did not follow the memories in your mind, the knowledge that you must follow the path. Whereas the world seemed peaceful for you only a moment ago, you start to hear a sound. Similar to being right next to a waterfall, you can hear the rushing of water. Behind you which previously was only more path now stands a growing wave that towers above you. When it comes to be about twice your size, the wave crashes down and sweeps you up with it, rushing you further and further forward where you failed to go on your own.

You are pushed until you have almost neared your destination, and then the wave dissipates. You aren't even wet, just left standing there. The entry in front of you beckons you to come nearer, and the fear of what happens if you don't sinks into your mind.

L0JdPWv.jpg
[All] The path stretches on and as you reach your destination, you notice the other figures in the distance, getting closer from all directions to this place. In the middle of the four paths stretching into the beyond is a garden with a fountain in the middle. Tall hedges encircle the area with the fountain, and sitting on the edge of it is a boy with one earbud in his ear, the other hanging down. He looks over at the one pushed forward by a wave with a pitying smile before standing up and dusting off his backside. By this time, all four have come into the garden and stand facing the fountain and the boy in front of them.
design inspired by Fyuri​

Vici Muliercula

The once straight path started to wind around like a snake, which looked quite odd in this world that seemed like a still portrait. Stepping close to the edge of the path, V looked down at the water and started to wonder if it really was water. That still voice in her head was throwing up red flags every time she thought of stepping off the path. But V was a curious creature, she had to pacify that curiousity or it would haunt her forever. This was the main reason she constantly stepped off the garden path--or it would've been if she could ignore the fact that depression drove her to almost apathy and she needed adrenaline, some type of excitement to feel again.

Crouching down, she allowed the tips of her fingers to run lightly along the clear surface. It was... cold. Not really surprising as she expected that much, at least. Dipping her finger in further, the feeling of uneasiness started to grow in her chest. It looked like water, cold like water but it didn't necessarily feel like water. It had such a light weight, like cold air instead of liquid. The way the surface rippled and held a certain tension before revealing what seemed like more space below it. Quickly pulling her hand back--curiousity more than satisfied--Vici turned away from the path's edge and started to move again. A huge part of her didn't want to think about that. It feels like that part of this picture perfect scenery won't be so picture perfect if she pushed too much.

It seemed like she walked forever but her legs didn't grow tired nor her lungs need more air. "The perks of being dead, I suppose.." It would also seem as though V was as apathetic about death now as she was when she was alive. To her, it wasn't a big deal and it was empowering--to a certain degree--to see that she was right. Grey eyes finally focused as suddenly the world wasn't all sky and sea now. There seemed to be an island in the distance. Her pace quickened ever so slightly as the oh so familiar curiousity flared up again. From the corner of her eyes, she could see other figures walking towards the same destination. She didn't stop nor did she slow down since that Guardian Angel in her head, as she so fondly calls it now, was silent.

As the island drew closer, the femme realized that it was a beautiful garden; complete with grass so green and flowers in all shapes, sizes and colors. A small gasp escaped her lips as the beauty of the place made her finally slow to a meander. As she drew even closer, the sound of flowing water filled her ears. It startled her for a few moments as it was the only other sound she's heard in a while that didn't come from her. Beyond the tall hedges in the middle of the garden was a large fountain. She would've approached it if the people from the other paths didn't step in at that moment. Whipping her head to either side, she observed the people before her, looked them up and down as you would any stranger.

Another woman and two men. They all seemed as lost as she was; confused, wondering, wandering. It took away from of the uneasiness from her. They were all riding the same boat here. There was no need to feel like an outsider. Vici opened her mouth to speak but another movement caught her eye. The fountain wasn't the only thing in that garden. A boy stood up from the edge and walked towards where they all stood, silent. He had an earbud in one ear and a soft smile on his face. Now this person didn't seem as lost as they all were. If she was going to take a guess, he wasn't new to this place.

Plum tiers parted and with an unanswered question twinkling in her eye, she decided to be the one to break the ice.

"Hi."

Morgan Michaels

Despite the beauty and, the best way to describe it, seeming purity of this world around him, Morgan could only keep his mind clear and feet on the path. For the past while, he hadn't said a word. I mean, how could he? The combination of now knowing he was dead and this picturesque landscape was enough to make him shut up. 'The path, the path' was all Morgan could think of; sort of being the only thing giving him purpose or reason at this point in time. If time flowed in this world, that is.

As he tread onward, the path ever so slightly started to curve in a new direction; walking even more lead to the discovery of the path curving completely ahead of Morgan. "The path!" He shouted, running forward to the edge of it. This didn't discourage him from following the path, but now he was left curious as to what this could mean. "Well," Morgan stated with a sigh. "I hope I'll reach the end of this soon." Thankfully, this prayer would get answered as walking further on led to a brand new location.

A garden, filled with breathtaking plants and bright colors the likes of which Morgan did not recognize. Even from far away, they stood out among this mirror-like plane. A realization came to Morgan "That must be where i'm supposed to go!" With sheer confidence, this young man ran to the garden, barely noticing human shapes coming from other directions; apparently they were on paths as well. "More people?!" Morgan wondered aloud.

Morgan had finally reached the garden, along with with another guy and two females. He opened his mouth, ready to ask questions, but stopped. Most likely, these people wouldn't be the ones with that kind of information. No, if anyone here knew what was going on, it'd have to be the mysterious boy sitting on a fountain in the middle of where all 4 paths converged. With one earbud in his ear, he seemed to be almost ready for the arrival of all these wayward people; an idea which some of the others might have realized, unlike Morgan.

By now, all 4 of them had reached the fountain and maintained a distance from this strange youngster. No one spoke yet; for whatever reason, but the boy sighed and stood up. He made himself slightly more presentable by brushing dust off of himself; despite there seeming to not really be a source of dust in this place. One of the two women cleared her throat before muttering a single word. "Hi." The boy kept a smile on his face as she spoke; perhaps he would allow all of them to do so. "H-hello there." Morgan replied, trying not to be loud in case he'd end up angering the other people or the boy.

Aurik Brandt
His eyes passed over all of them as they came into the Garden of Stories. As his eyes fell over them, information appeared in his mind. Their name, age, flashes of their own memories. He was used to the whole process, didn't even flinch as he saw some not so pleasant things. As they came through from their path, he waited calmly for one of them to react. Break the silence that bound them all in the stagnant space. They couldn't begin until someone spoke, wouldn't move forward until someone took the first step. One of the girls -- Vici -- spoke up with a small "Hi". As short and seemingly nervous it might have been, he looked at her and saw something more of interest or amusement. Intriguing.

A more hesitant echo of a hello followed from the one called Morgan, and Aurik could only guess the others were still getting their thoughts sorted out. He was very interested to see how the one dragged by the wave would behave. They always took this new world the hardest, refusing to adapt and demanding answers that Aurik couldn't give. Keeping his gaze held on Vici who spoke, he kept his aloof smile in place as he did a small, playful bow. "A pleasure to make your acquaintances, my name is Aurik..." The question at hand was whether he would reveal his knowledge of them or keep it hidden. He made the call with each new group as new souls made their way to this place, dependent on the memories provided to him and the way they greeted him. "What are your names?" The phrase slipped out, and he could see in himself that self-preservation had won once again. Nothing new, nothing to be ashamed of. The goal would be to keep the act up, and not let the truth slip through this lie. How would they react -- he wondered -- if they discovered his lie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back