The Art Of The Check

Do You Put Effort Into Making A Good Looking Interest Check? Does It Matter?

• I do and it does matter.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do, but it doesn't matter.

• I don't, but it does matter.

• I don't and it doesn't matter.

• Total voters
I wasn't tagged, but I'd like to offer my two cents all the same. I do take personal appearance into consideration in romance - it's nice to have a purely romantic, unconditional love, but... that's not realistic. Looks matter. Thankfully, all it takes is "Hey, I got up and showered today and I wear clothes that aren't threadbare and fit okay" to look decent enough.

And, as for work, I'd argue appearance matters even MORE. The way you present yourself is so, so important in the workplace. If someone shows up to an interview looking like a slob - stained clothes or unkempt hair - how are we supposed to take them seriously? Looks matter so, so much. They're the first thing people see, the first impression. I'm interning at a government office. You think people are going to trust us with their livelihoods if I'm sitting at the desk wearing jeans and a hoodie? No goddamn way, I'm there in slacks, a solid blouse, and a dark blazer, with my hair up off my collar and in a bun.

Looks matter, guys. Life isn't a meritocracy.

I used to, as I thought it helped to convey the mood of what you had in mind, but with the change from BBC to HTML, it's too difficult for me to figure out and not worth learning to me, so now I just throw my pitch out there and hope for the best.

When looking for or finding a person to date/marry/get involved with romantically, would you/do you initially ignore how they look? Or do you honestly factor that into your opening decisions?

If this is too personal, feel free to answer one about work.

If you were a boss looking for and interviewing an employee, would you care how they looked while coming in to meet you for the first time? Or you give every person that comes in a full chance despite their appearances?

I don't believe I've ever met someone and immediately thought about whether they 'qualify' for a romantic connection. I don't really feel that or look for it until it creeps up on me, and appearances aren't really a factor.

Not, of course, that I don't have certain things I'm attracted to! But male companion of the week and male companion of the lifetime are very different things. Attraction comes not long after feelings, if it wasn't there in the first place.

I've been on dates with people I hardly know 'cause they're cute/handsome/sexy and seem pleasant, but the seeming pleasant is always a must and precludes anything re: looks. Even some of the more casual things I've gotten myself into have been based on platonic intimacy moreso than appearances.

You know how I mentioned that a check's aesthetic appearance is important insofar as it is organized and clear and understandable? People are the same. You don't have to be good-looking, you really don't; you just need to come to an interview dressed professionally, using good hygiene, having an open demeanor, and so on.

An interest check needs to do exactly that: Test for interest. If you're making another Tolkien-esque or another Percy Jackson son/daughter-of-X you don't need an interest check because everyone knows those are popular.

If you have a genuinely novel idea, however, it does one well to test the waters before investing too much effort. An interest check, in this case, is essentially a press release for your unfinished product to gague the response of your adoring, or scathing, public.

An interest check needs to do exactly that: Test for interest. If you're making another Tolkien-esque or another Percy Jackson son/daughter-of-X you don't need an interest check because everyone knows those are popular.

If you have a genuinely novel idea, however, it does one well to test the waters before investing too much effort. An interest check, in this case, is essentially a press release for your unfinished product to gague the response of your adoring, or scathing, public.

Generally, a significant number of users are only exposed to new roleplays through interest checks. It's a good idea to put one out, just so people see that your RP is a thing!

Generally, a significant number of users are only exposed to new roleplays through interest checks. It's a good idea to put one out, just so people see that your RP is a thing!

I share that sentiment myself, and the precise reason why is because I want to be able to filter out the cheesy, overdone concepts. I'd also like to be able to filter by level of literacy, but unfortunately with how subjective terms like "casual" and "literate" are that is all but impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back