The Academy

folclor

Resident Cripple
It was summer.  Warm, sticky, with few cool breezes and even fewer thunderstorms.  It was, without a doubt, Why'nn's least favorite season.  However, she was making do with days spent in the library or at the lake.  It wasn't as if she disliked the additional time with her lover, either.  Then again, with Father's current training regiment she was seeing less of James than she maybe would've liked.  She'd taken the liberty of going for a run instead of the normal moving meditation.

Skin still cold to the touch, she barely ever broke a sweat but today was hot enough that she had taken refuge in the courtyard.  Her eyes were closed as she laid beneath a great elm tree.  The new students would be arriving any time now.

It had been only a week since Sable had found herself in this weird place. She guessed while she was here she'd play along and go to school, at least until she could figure out a way to go home. At least it was warm so it had to be summer. Thank God for small miracles. She *hated* cold weather.  She walked confidently through the courtyard, though she'd already forgotten where exactly she was going to go. Then back, and across again. Like hell was she going to ask some weird lizard or rat kid for directions. She'd find it herself, eventually, probably.

@folclor @Midnightclub

James wasn't far from Why'nn, lying on a rock as he sunned his scales, a habit he'd picked up since his "procedure".   He'd let the illusion he usually wore around the school drop, feeling more comfortable with just Why'nn around, and without the illusion one could see his large, taloned, four fingered dragon hand laid across his bare, copper-scaled chest.  Resting on the ground to his right was his breakfast.  If you considered a terrarium containing about half a dozen Emperor Scorpions breakfast.

James reached into it with his normal hand, grabbed one of the scorpions by the tail and lowered it into his mouth.  He used his teeth to break up the claws before killing the scorpion with a hard crunch to the head, then proceeded to eat the rest of the eight inch arachnid whole.

@folclor @TommyGun15 @Midnightclub

Ivela sat high up in the great elm tree her sort-of-not-really-but-kind-of-friend Why'nn was currently relaxing under. All this free time irritated her, although she couldn't complain about the extra time she had been able to put into her training. That was what Ivela had spent most of her time doing.

In fact, she was training right now, in a way. Ivela was meditating peacefully, a serene expression on her face as she completely surrounded herself in her own aura.

Aaron walked happily from the portal, device thingy that had transported him from his realm to here. Well, he looked happy at least. He was smiling, and he did have a certain sparkle in his eyes. But who could truly be happy when they are forced to leave, not only their home, but their entire world behind? Only somebody who really wished to escape it, and that certainly wasn't Aaron. But, he would try to make the best of the situation. There had to be something good about this place, he just had to find it.

@HK Fifty

Reagan, in stark contrast to everyone else, was putting the finishing touches on her sword as the day rolled in, the sounds of electricity filling the workshop. Even if she didn't necessarily like how her eyes looked now thanks to the Witcher mutations, she couldn't deny their usefulness. Even the tiniest details seemed clearer than ever now. She gave the weapon a few test swings, testing the weight and feel of her creation. 'Got a good feel to it, the alloy's holding steady, and it looks nice. I think I'm done here.' She then collapsed the blade and stashed it in her coat. Sparky, seeing her finish her work, landed on her shoulder and began to nudge her for attention. Reagan looked at her pet, guessing that he probably wanted to go outside. She began to clean up her workbench as Sparky kept trying to get her moving through nudges.

------

Gareth, meanwhile, was prowling the halls like usual, grinning to himself. The Headmistress had seen fit to give him... modifications. Modifications that he quite liked, as they amplified his potential to kill. Or, as long as he was stuck at the school, cause untold amounts of pain. He did relish the fear he could inspire in others now with a simple glance. There were still people above him, of that he was made painfully aware. Even some students who were less scared of him, and more annoyed. However, he did love it when the prey knew its place. 'If she could do that for me then... later, I could kill even better.These thoughts entertained him as he looked for an excuse.

Grim was laid out on the couch in the living room of the Victory Suite, as he looked to think of it. It was the  apartment he and Reagan had been given to share as prize for winning the school tournament the year before. 

And although he hadn't had much time in the last school year to use it, with finishing the absolutely grueling training they had been subjected as part of being Witchers, and the missions they had taken part in, but over the course of the summer he had settled in nicely. There had been some initial fights and arguments about rooms and piracy and reach others stuff. But now they had out pretty much worked out. 

So the augmented otter stretched and half napped in the warm room, letting the comfortable breeze bow over him. Not sure what his roommate was doing, or even if she was there. He knew he'd have to show up at the school soon enough, he had to help corral and herd all the new students. 

But not yet. 

@shadowstrikr25

@folclor @TommyGun15 @Lunaria Silver

Sable sighed after a while and resigned herself to sitting on a picnic table.  Who was she kidding, trying to find anything normal about this place, thinking she might figure out this loco shit. There was a kid with fucking lizard claws eating fucking scorpions.  She planted her head on the table and put her hands over her head.   "Dios Mio...Porque a mi!?"

@Midnightclub @folclor @Lunaria Silver

James opened an eye as he heard someone speaking not far away.  Picking up his breakfast in his oversized left hand and his sheathed sword in his right, he walked over to where the apparently new student sat on a bench.  He learned his six foot sword against a nearby tree, then casually walked a bit closer.

"New here I take it?"

James punctuated his sentence with a loud CRUNCH as he ate another scorpion.

@folclor @Lunaria Silver @TommyGun15

Oh hell no. Of all the people in this circus act, she had to have scorpion eater come over to her? Ok. Ok. Relax, he was just trying to be nice. At the very least she could return the favor, right?

"Uh, yeah. That obvious?" She lifted her head up to look at him, her black hair still managed to retain its punk style. So long as he didn't offer her one of those things, she could manage it. Hopefully.

Why'nn sighed, annoyed at the interruption.  Voices were so frustrating.  The girl sat up, frowning, and saw James talking to a new girl.  She got to her feet.  Her appearance looked absolutely normal, but, even as she approached, the new girl would feel captivation and fear trying to take hold of her as Why'nn met her gaze.

"James," she began, placing a hand on her boyfriend's shoulder, "it's not very nice to attempt to intimidate the new girl."  Her voice was soft, lilting.  "What is your name, New Girl?"  Why'nn slid onto the bench across from her soon-to-be new acquaintance.

@TommyGun15 @Midnightclub @Lunaria Silver

There was something...off about the other girl. She was cute, maybe, but for some reason, Sable got the heebie jeebies from looking at her. It was ironic that she'd said not to intimidate her, considering. She suppressed a shiver. No way this girl was scarier than Vicky though.

She leaned back in her seat and rolled her shoulders. "Name's Isabel. People call me Sable. Friends call me Izzy." 

James rolled his eyes and smirked as Why'nn chastised him for intimidating people.  With how he looked, could he really help it?  Nevertheless he decided to be diplomatic and cast an illusion with a snap of his fingerr, causing his form to shimmer until he looked like a normal human wearing the school uniform and eating out of a bag of chips.  He reached into the "bag" and pulled out another "chip", eating it before sitting next to Why'nn, setting the "bag" on the table.  He elbowed Why'nn gently.

"Why'nn, you don't need to intimidate her either."  The look on his face betrayed that he was more amused than upset with her.

James set his left hand on the table with an audible thud that betrayed it's true nature.  James had only cast an illusion after all, his body was still the same underneath, and his left arm was still much larger than it currently appeared.  He held out his right hand, offering to shake.

"Welcome to the Academy Sable.  I'm James."

@folclor @Lunaria Silver@Midnightclub

Last edited by a moderator:
Why'nn giggled.  "I'm not attempting to."  Though she knew it could be one of many things that could intimidate the girl, not just her gaze.  She wound her arms around her boyfriend, smiling as she leaned her head against his shoulder.  "Hello Sable.  You may call me Why'nn."

She looked at the 'chips' a bit longingly, sighing after a moment and almost melting away from James to reach into her bag.  "Are you hungry, Sable?  Sieghart makes wonderful food and I do tend to carry a bit around with me."  She pulled out a couple of chocolate chip muffins and a blueberry, as if to offer them to the girl.  For herself, though she looked longingly at the muffins as well, she pulled out something that looked like a juice pack.

@TommyGun15 @Midnightclub @Lunaria Silver

@Constantin

Ivela's eyes snapped open as she sensed something new enter the area. She had also been using En to practice not being exhausted from the use of it. She knew that masters could extend their En to 50 meters, but  she had learned of some assassin who could extend it to 300 meters easily. So that was what she strived to do before the end of her last year.

Currently she was at 36 meters, but she figured that if she practiced every day she could easily reach her goal. Or at the very least come close to attaining it.

Besides feeling something suddenly drop into the outer edge of her nen circle, she heard a god awful noise erupt from the forest, although it was relatively faint. She didn't have enhanced senses, she had just trained them. And the noise was fairly loud.

Ivela leaped out of the tree and landed softly before taking off towards the forest. She was curious as to what this strange new presense was. She came upon the area in the forest where a strange boy was located and furrowed her eyebrows, remaining hidden behind a tree. He seemed to be talking to a ghost?

Sable's eyes widened as the lizard arm became human and the scorpions became chips. "I ain't intimidated." She scowled despite herself. "But thanks for the invite, I guess." She eyed Why'nn as she reached into the bag, pulled out a 'chip' and ate it. She shivered. Then Why'nn offered her some muffins. Sable blinked and looked between the two othere kids and their bag of chips. Her stomach gurgled but who knew what those muffins really were? "Uh...No. No thanks." 

Why'nn frowned.  "Are you sure?  The muffins are really muffins, if that's what you're worried about.  I'm just not allowed to eat them...  The Headmistress has me on a specific diet."  She made a face.  "These two are chocolate chip and that one's blueberry.  If you don't take at least one they'll go to waste.  I like having them but... I'm not allowed to eat anything but meat."  The face turned into a pout as she put a straw into the pack and began to drink from it.  "But if you don't trust me, you can go to the cafeteria and get something fresh from there.  Sieghart doesn't allow magic or weapons in his domain so you don't have to worry about things not being what they seem."

@TommyGun15 @Midnightclub

After a few moments of hesitation she reached out and took a chocolate chip muffin. A small nibble disproved her fears and in less than 30 seconds the muffin had disappeared. She sighed with relief but eyed the other two muffins hungrily. "Thanks...This place is loco. Magic? Seriously? And, this kid?" She waved her hand at James. "No offense."

James shrugged as Sabel gestured to him.

"None taken.  I will say, Sieghart's a great cook, and also probably the friendliest guy you'll meet at this school.  Just don't let his appearance bother you, he used to be a knight, and... well... it's not really my place to tell you his life story."

James looked curiously at Why'nn's bag as he finished off the last of his "chips".  He placed the "bag" carefully into his satchel, also of holding. 

"You wouldn't happen to have any nightshade muffins in there would you?  Those scorpions are filling, but they're a bit bland.  Their poison just isn't strong enough."

Delrick was walking the edge of the academy border, with his usual cup of coffee and his staff floating behind him. The warm day was not lost on him, but he was lost in thought. The events of the last several trips to different places and realms had him trying to piece things together. 

The monk was pleased with the progress his apprentice/daughter had made. 

He was jerked out of his walking reverie by the horrid-infernal sound and disquieting ripple that accompanied the opening of a random portal. "Well now..." His hand opened and his staff zipped into his grasp as took flight towards the disturbance. 

In his flight the Warlock caught sight of Ivela as she rushed towards the same vergence he was going to investigate. Smirking, he silently appeared behind the student. Taking in the scene at a glance. "What do you make of this?" He asked quietly so as to not startle the girl or make their presence known to the new arrival. Delrick was quite prepared to deal with magic user, he could sense it coming from the boy and strongly from the tome. Which once be concentrated on it, came to the conclusion that it was the source of the 'ghost'. "Consider this an early chance for extra credit."

@Lunaria Silver @Constantin

Why'nn pushed the remaining two muffins to Sable, then glanced at James.  "...You have to ask?  I always carry around treats for you."  She reached into her bag and pulled out a nightshade muffin, handing it over to him.  She finished her 'juice' and tossed the container into the trash.  "I have to go back to training.  Father's about and I don't want to be caught slacking."  Standing, she stretched.  Her body was clad in what might be classified as 'normal' work out attire: Shorts and a tank top.  Her left arm, cybernetic, was disguised with synthetic skin, and her long, black hair was braided back.  "I still have five more laps around the building before I have to be at the Arena."  Leaning down, she gave James a kiss on the cheek.  "Be good, sweet."

James blushed as Why'nn kissed him, wrapping his arm around her to give her a quick hug.

"You're far too good to me."

Then he let her go, waving and munching on his muffin as she went.  He turned his attention back to Sable.

"Speaking of the arena, I do need to practice my swordplay.  Want to tag along?  I can answer a few questions about the school for you if you want, and walk you by the classrooms, Cafeteria, and dorms."

@Grim Wraithe Stjerna

@Constantin

Ivela was unsurprised by Delrick's sudden appearance, mainly because she had felt him enter her En circle, immediately recognizing the aura that was distinctly his. She had made it a point to remember the auras of a few students and the teachers. She had made her circle a bit smaller, to conserve energy if it came to a fight, so she had less of a warning than she would have liked.

When Delrick asked her what she made of the situation for extra credit, Ivela's expression brightened slightly.

Without thinking anything of it, Ivela began giving her opinion of the situation. "Well, for starters he isn't a Nen user, that much I can tell from a glance." She said in a soft voice. "I must admit to not fully understanding other forms of...magic. But I have learned how to recognize it. It seems to be concentrated on that," Ivela's mind drew a blank as she looked at the book. What was it called again? "book." She finished smoothly, trying to make it seem as though she had not forgotten the word for such a relic.

The boy's appearance was certainly strange, but she chose not to concern herself with it. It was not unusual in the world she was from, or the world that she found so fascinating, although more unusual for the world she had devoted so much time studying.

"So his abilities may stem from the book. Clearly this was not his intended destination, but his Universe must have interrupted his travels and sent him here. So he has to be a new student. As for the ghost, I assume it's the spirit of somebody close to him that he can summon at will to assist him." Ivela finished, the part about the ghost being mostly an assumption. She continued to stare at the boy and the ghost while she waited for Delrick to tell her if she was right. She didn't expect to be wrong, except on a few counts, as she had always been good at assessing a situation.

@TommyGun15 @folclor @Midnightclub

Aaron looked around the courtyard he had found himself in and looked at some students who were grouped together. He cheerfully walked over to them and offered a wave as he stopped next to them.

"Hello. I'm Aaron." He greeted and stood there slightly awkwardly as though he didn't quite know what to do after introducing himself. Still, he kept a friendly smile on his face.

@Constantin @Grim Wraithe Stjerna

Ivela's eyebrows shot up as the boy dissappeared from view, leaving two strange monsters she assumed he had summoned. They seemed to be hyperactive little things, although they weren't attacking her. Although Ivela could no longer see him, she could still sense his aura. That and she could feel every movement within her En circle. Of course, it didn't take long before he had crossed the perimeter of it, and she could no longer sense him.

Well. Ivela had not received orders to follow him, and something told her she should always follow orders. But...she was so curious. She was clearly conflicted, wanting so desperately to follow but knowing that she should not go anywhere without orders.

She should never act without orders or without certainty. 

"Should I follow him?" Ivela asked Delrick, turning her attention to him.

James smiled and waved at the new arrival.

"Hi.  James.  I was just offering to take her."  James nodded to Sabel "on a quick tour of the school.  Want to tag along?"

James stood from the table, brushing his brownish blonde hair from his eyes as he munched on the nightshade muffins.  Although, to the casual observer it probably just looked like blueberry.

@Lunaria Silver @Midnightclub

@TommyGun15 @Midnightclub

Aaron nodded enthusiatically, sending his loose silver hair flying. He kind of chuckled at this, finding it amusing as he shook his head in an attempt to get the hair under control. It didn't really work, so he gave up on it.

"First, though, would you mind telling me what this place is?" He asked cheerily, his curiosity seeming to beat out his awkwardness. People here seemed friendly enough. His expression was light and casual as his golden eyes glinted in the light. He had his hands in his pockets as he stared at the group. He noticed the muffin but didn't ask for a bite, mainly because he didn't know him and thought it would be rude to ask. Although, come to think of it, he was hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back