• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern the a-lister | rp thread

Characters
Here
The only sound that could be heard in the news office was the swift typing of keyboard keys. It came from the back corner of the small space, where a young, brown haired girl sat. She was very focused on her screen, her hands almost a blur as she worked. The deadline for her current work, an article on the new renovation of the courthouse, wasn't for another four days. But still, the woman worked endlessly to finish it. Words appeared within the document like water droplets from a rain cloud. And then they stopped. She let out a large sigh and leaned back in her office chair, a grin slowly rising to her rosy cheeks.

She'd finished.

This article was the key to her promotion- the promotion to senior writer for the Rockport Herald that had been offered to her a week or so ago. It didn't really matter to her, all she knew was that she needed to finish the next few assignments before Sunday, and that promotion would be hers. But the rest of her works were short ones, an obituary, a revision for an advice column, and then a small article on the impacts of recent city changes from the mayor. Eager to begin her next work, the woman submitted her article and grabbed a manilla folder, one that held the information for the obituary she had been assigned.

Now, Julia was a very sensitive person, and obituaries were often a difficult topic for her to get through. But each and every obituary she had written previously suddenly seemed null, void, and nonexistent as she read the name of the person who'd passed.

Grey. Ellen Grey,

She let out an involuntary gasp, the papers falling from her hands. Ellen Grey was like her second mother in her childhood- always there for her when her own parents were not. Mother to her two best- past best friends that she'd been so close to as a child. But they hadn't spoken since the woman swept herself and her children away when her husband was offered a job at the opposite corner of the country- as far away as one could get. She'd cried for days about it, her closest friends torn from her within a matter of weeks. And she hadn't spoken to any of them since that day. And now, Ellen was dead. But the worst part? The funeral would be held here, in Rockport. And her two sons would undoubtedly show up. The same sons that had become estranged from her.

She felt suffocated by all of these thoughts at once. She shut down her computer with a heavy press of the button, and she slammed the folder down. She scribbled a quick note to her boss about how she was sick- how she needed the day or two off. And that's exactly what she needed, was a day off. She gathered her belongings quickly, running out of the offices like a dog was hot on her heels. She didn't know where she was headed, but she knew she would get there eventually. Her feet carried her towards the city park, and she stumbled over the paths with a racing heart.

Carter Grey knew the day was coming. His mom had been sick for a few months. He knew eventually he was going to have to face the truth: his mother was soon going to be taken from him. It’s the thought every child fears, the thought that haunts nightmares.

For years, his mother had been his rock. After he had grown in fame around the country, and after his brother skipped out on them, Carter still made an attempt to talk to his mother a few times a week. And now, the day he feared, had arrived. His rock was gone.

The plane right had been a rough one. He had dropped everything and made his assistant charter a plane to Rockport. She, as always, had obliged immediately and climbed on the plane with him. She cancelled his press tour, had the maid pack him a bag, and arranged for hotel rooms and a car for the both of them. In some ways, Carter wasn’t sure what he would do without her.

As the plane landed, Carter switched his phone on and dialed his brother once more. He hadn’t answered a phone call in days and Carter wasn’t even sure he would see him. “Nate, call me back when you get this.” H said gruffly into the voicemail. “Love you.” He said, ending the message and letting a sigh escape his lips. He looked to the brunette in front of him who was holding her iPhone and purse expectantly. “Fine, Serena, let’s go. I’ll show you around.”

“Mr. Grey, Rockport is only around ten miles large. You can show me around all you’d like but we will still have hours to kill.” Serena said with a bit of a smirk, her black heels clicking on the floor as they walked towards the front of the airport. Serena herself was in a rough spot. She had to draw the line between employee and friend, and what Mr. Grey needed was a friend. A small smile crept onto her lips. “Alright Mr. Grey, maybe one tour around the town.” She said softly.

Carter grinned a bit as they got into the car and drove to the center of the town, a small park he used to play in with his friends as kids. He shoved his hands into the pockets of his black sport jacket and he looked at he girl who had been furiously texting – most likely on his behalf – and nodded towards outside. “Come on. I could use some fresh air.”

Instead of protesting, Serena just gave him a smile and stepped out of the car, her purple blouse and black pencil skirt making her stand out as they proceeded to walk through the park. Their walk was mostly silent and Serena hardly looked up from her phone – that is, until Carter stopped walking. She stopped as well and looked at what was ahead of them. A girl, around their age, who had not yet seen them. But Carter, well, he had certainly seen her.

Serena smiled and looked over at him, squeezing his arm gently. “Old friend?” She asked softly, even though she already knew the answer. “Go say hi, you’ll be fine.” She said as she gave him one more small hug. “I’m going to go grab a quick drink and freshen up.” She nodded to a small dive bar on the corner.

Carter had seen Julia and to be fair, he didn’t recognize her at first. As he got closer those eyes did him terrible. It was definitely her. She was his former best friend, but they had lost contact over ten years prior. She had aged well… he would consider her beautiful. As his heart jumped a bit and his breathing quickened, he wrapped an arm around Serena, giving her a small squeeze. “I should say hi, yes.” He pulled away and looked at the girl once more. “Thank you.”

Serena smiled at the boy she spent most of her time with. “Any time, Mr. Grey.” She said softly. “Text me if you need me.” Serena turned and headed towards the bar on the corner, needing a vodka soda now more than ever.​

Julia's hazel eyes were clouded with a jumbled mix of emotions. It was almost like she had fallen asleep on the job and she got tossed into a nightmare. So she continued her unsteady way down the cobbled path, her hair a mess in the slight wind of the cold morning. She was truly lost in thought, her lips pulled down into a frown. Jules hadn't changed- she was still an open book to read, however much she had despised the fact. But her thoughts were cut through by the sharp rhythm of high heels making their way away from her.

And she looked up, a moment that she'd probably regret later. Because almost instantly, her hazel eyes met royal blue ones, and she blinked.

Carter Grey, the famous celebrity. Carter Grey, her old best friend. Carter Grey, the man she hadn't seen in years. He truly deserved all the fame: he'd aged well, and was even better looking than she had imagined.

She felt her ruby lips part without thinking, her eyebrows cocking upwards with surprise. "C-Carter?" she said, breathless. "W-Why are you here?" She mentally wanted to smack herself- Julia knew exactly why he was here. But the shock of seeing him so soon seemed to wipe her memory. She didn't say anything else as she took a step forward, nearing him. The woman watched him with wary eyes, waiting for his reply with the light feeling of anxiety filling her midsection.

He was a celebrity, she was a small town girl who wrote for a newspaper for a living. It was surprising they had gotten along in the past with their different personalities, but now? She had no idea how he was going to react.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

A tanned, dark haired man sat upon one of the many worn, leather barstools of the local dive bar in Rockport. He didn't move or look up from his phone as another woman walked in- Serena.

He was too busy angrily speaking into the phone, loud enough to be overhead if one so wished to listen in. "I'm already in Rockport, Carter," he grumbled. "I'll talk to you later." He hung up the phone with a quick press of a button, turning around to finish the shot that sat in front of him.

Nate didn't like the idea of meeting with his brother again, especially after all that had happened. Rockport brought back many memories for him, a vast majority of them ones he didn't like to remember back on. He had only agreed to come when he heard where the funeral was held- his old hometown. And, as far as he knew, a slim chance that his best friend still resided here too.

So the young man sighed, waving for another round. The stress of all that was going to happen had piled upon his already existing worries. It was a mess for the young man.

Last edited:
Carter felt himself clam up a bit as Serena walked briskly away. He hated her at that moment – but was a bit thankful too. He took a step closer to Julia and stopped. “My mom.” He said softly, his eyes downcast as he took a deep breath. “She had been sick for a bit and it came on a lot quicker than thought… but this was her childhood home, so here we are.”

“Well, here I am I guess since I just got ditched for the inside of a bar.” He said with a bit of a smile as he watched Serena walk off. He was forever grateful for that girl. Now if he would just call him by his first name in public. “I’m used to that though.” He said with a laugh.

“How are you though?” He asked, stepping forward and reaching out to give her an awkward hug. “You look great!” Carter said, almost too enthusiastically. “What are you up to nowadays?” He asked as he shuffled back and forth on his feet. He didn’t know how to continue this conversation, or what he should do. She was truly beautiful and he didn't know what to do about it. He didn't want to overstep; it had been over a decade after all.

-

Serena sat down at the bar a few seats away from the only other patron. At least she wasn’t alone? That’s about all she could ask for in the middle of nowhere. “Double vodka and club soda please, with lemon.” She said sweetly to the old bartender, putting her expensive purse – a Christmas gift from Mr. Grey – and her two cell phones on the bar next to her.

“You don’t look like you’re from here.” The bar maid remarked offhandedly and Serena gave her a bit of a smile.

“I’m not. Work brought me in.” She said softly, taking a long drink and looking up at the old TV on the wall. It wasn’t a lie. She was here because her job was to keep Carter on the right track. So many young Hollywood actors ended up into drugs or worse… and his career was too promising for that.

“What kind of work brings you all the way out here?” The bartender asked as they poured another shot for the strange man at the bar.

“Babysitting.” Serena said with a bit of a smirk. “Fixing problems and babysitting.” Of course, due to signed contracts she couldn’t walk around talking about Carter. That would get her fired.​

Julia wasn't sure what to do at that moment- she knew.

So she did something that she'd never do normally. "I'm so sorry," she said. "I can't believe it." Her lie was a white one, but still made her uneasy. She awkwardly looked down at her brown boots as she waited for him to reply with something simple, but was met with a comment about his companion.

She didn't comment about what he said about the other woman, uneasily edging away from the subject. It'd been ten years- there was no doubt Carter probably forgot about her. But she hadn't, and the grade school feelings for him seemed to only increase before getting shoved to the back of her mind.

She gasped silently as he enveloped her in his arms, and she returned it for a fleeting moment. "I'm- uh, I'm doing good," she said, a faint smile pulling up the corners of her mouth. His enthusiasm seemed to bring out something in her, and she lifted her head to really look at him for the first time, and really began to notice him.

"And thank you," she replied meekly."I'm not doing much these days. I uh, work at the Herald now. I live down on Faulkner Street. So, not much has really changed, I guess. What about you?"

It was almost like his words had pulled her younger self out, and opened her up to him. She normally would've been long gone by now, but she stuck around. Even she wasn't sure why.

-

Nate's eyes drifted slowly to the other woman who sat down a few stools away, and he stayed silent for a few moments after as she ordered her drink.

He chuckled at her comment about babysitting, leaning his elbows on the bar and turning to face her for the first time. She was pretty, but she looked like she meaned business. For some reason, her professionalism seemed to draw the childish young man in, and he swallowed his drink quickly.

"Babysitting, huh?" he said with a dry chuckle. "My older brother likes to babysit me. Though I wish he wouldn't. He's the golden child."

He smirked ruefully, before digressing. "Where are you from, miss?" he asked, his tone a warm one. "No one from anywhere around here wears stuff like that. Can I take a stab? New York City."

A grin rose to his face. His brother hadn't been very tolerating of his impish attitude. Maybe this mysterious woman would be a bit more open to it.

Carter grimaced a bit. Of course she was still here… it’s all she wanted growing up. Julia loved this town. He never understood it, but it made her happy. “Sounds like you got everything you wanted. I remember your dreams as a kid.” He said with a bit of a laugh. “Writing for the paper and living on your own? Go you.” Carter chuckled a little as he shoved his hands in his pockets.

Carter looked down at the girl in front of him. “What are you doing tonight? I was going to stop by the bar and see all of my parent’s old friends. All I have with me is Serena and she isn’t much fun. It would be nice to have a friendly face there when I did. Especially since I don’t know if Nate is coming into town.”

Carter sighed and ran his hand through his hair. “He hasn’t even talked to me in years.” He said as he looked down one of the roads off of the park. “I’m not sure he will even come home for this.” Carter shook his head. “Sorry, this is about you. Will you come?” He asked softly. “I don’t really have friends here anymore.”
-
Serena chuckled a bit. “You should let your brother babysit you a bit. It means he cares. My employer spends half his time trying to mend his family relationships. I feel bad for him sometimes.” She said softly, her eyes trained on the television.

Finally, Serena looked over at the man next to her. He was attractive, for sure, but she couldn’t remember the last time she sat at a bar by herself. She rolled her eyes a bit as he guessed New York City and a laugh escaped from her lips. “Not even.” She said softly as she drank more of her drink. “I work on the West Coast.”

“But since you think you can profile me, let me profile you first.” She said as she turned and faced the man, crossing her legs. “Drinking alone in a bar on a Tuesday afternoon, angrily talking into your phone…” She trailed off a bit as she looked back at the TV and took another drink. “You’re trying to either escape something or numb something.” Serena said, looking back at the man.

“Also for your information, no one is a Golden Child… not even your brother. We all have faults.” She said, looking back down at her phone.​

She smiled warmly. "You do?" she queried. It warmed her heart, really, to know that he still remembered their past despite the loss of contact between the two. She remembered his too, but she didn't say anything else as she watched him tuck his hands into his pockets.

She adjusted her tan coat with a light chuckle at his comment, but looked back up when he continued. The other woman's name was Serena, and he didn't find her too fun. Maybe not a girlfriend. She suddenly seemed to glow a little brighter, shrugging at the rest of his words.

"I'm not doing anything, I took the next day or two off of work," she said. But her face seemed to light up even more, if at all possible. Carter and Julie were the best of friends as children, but even though it seemed impossible, Nate and Julie were closer than that.

"Oh, Carter, give him a chance," she said sweetly. "He loved your mother to pieces, you know that. But he never felt like a part of the family. He needs his space. He'll be here." Her voice was firm, as if there was no debate. She knew Nate in and out, even though it had been almost a decade.

"And don't start," she chided. "You've got plenty of friends here. You just got here."

-

Nate chuckled as she began to speak, rolling his eyes. "I know what you mean."

His deep ocean blue eyes resembled his brother's as he looked back at her, tilting his head. "Even better. I've heard the West Coast is fun." What he didn't mention, however, was the fact that he knew exactly what it was like.

He narrowed his eyes at her 'profile', unsettled by the accuracy. "You're pretty good, I'll give you that." But he didn't elaborate past that.

But the part that really caught his attention was her final words. He paused for a moment to think, placing his chin in his hand as he turned to look at her with deep blue eyes.

"I should call my brother. His name's Carter, maybe you could talk a bit of sense into him."

“He’s changed.” Carter said firmly, crossing his arms and looking around the small town that clearly hadn’t changed in the past decade. “Nate… isn’t the same Nate you’re used to.” His brother had changed over the past ten years. He was a free spirit and very hard to hold down. They had a lot of friction between them, but at the end of the day it was his brother.

Carter smiled a bit, turning his attention back to the woman in front of her. “Right, well I’m going to go check us into our hotel… after I pull her out of the bar. Would you like to come in with me and meet her? You’d love her. She keeps me together.” He said with a chuckle as he turned in the direction of the bar. “I don’t think I would have planned getting here if she hadn’t done it.”

Carter took a step in that direction and looked over at the girl behind him. “Come on.” He said with a bit of a toothy smile. “It’s too cold to stand out here. Plus you never know who will be in there.”

-

Serena hesitated a bit as she realized who she was talking to. His brother Carter. Suddenly, it dawned on her. The eyes gave it away. Clearly he had been messing with her when he said that he had ‘heard the West Coast was fun’. He had lived there! Her jaw dropped a bit and she turned in her seat, looking at the boy next to her. Two could play this game.

“Carter… as in Carter Grey?” She asked with a bit of a smirk. “I’ve seen all of his movies.” That wasn’t a lie. She HAD seen them all, as it was her job. “You look just like him.” She said, leaning forward a bit. “I didn’t know he had an attractive younger brother.” Of course she knew. But if he was going to mess with her, she was going to mess back… she probably wasn’t going to talk to him again.

“I saw him get out of a car a bit ago, so you might not have to call him. He’s probably closer than you think.” And with that, Serena ordered one more drink.​

Julia's eyes narrowed: could Nate really have changed that much? With a sigh, she shrugged. "Seems like I'm the only one who hasn't," she murmured quietly, blinking. She hoped the two weren't in a state of bickering where their mother's funeral- and therefore, Rockport- would be a bad experience for them.

At the mention of a hotel, she chuckled despite herself. They were one of the many shortcomings this town seemed to have. But she didn't mind it, really, the quaint little town was her home, and would always be. "That hotel hasn't changed one bit since you've been gone," she began with a small smile. "My parents've moved down South for a while, I have the keys to the house. You and Serena are welcome to stay there, and Nate if he wants." She tilted her head easily, her smile growing ever so slightly. "You can still stay in your favorite spare bedroom- I hasn't changed a bit." She sung the last words playfully, as if really trying to convince him.

"I can never say no to a chance to meet some new people, though," she said as he turned, quickly stepping closer to him. "So- I guess I'll join you." She followed after the young man as they made their way towards the bar.

-

"The one and only," he replied dryly. "And now try to tell me he isn't the golden child."

He eyed the woman carefully, from the drop of the jaw to the smirk she now held on her pretty face. "So I've been told," he replied, leaning forward to match her own, though still a good distance away. "But I'm not nearly as good looking as him. I'm not the A-Lister in the family."

But as she continued talking, he felt his stomach drop, but his face remained blank as ever. "If he is about to walk into this bar, you tell me right now, because if you don't I'm formally going to start believing you're some witch." He chuckled light heartedly despite the edge to his words. If Carter really was about to walk in- well, Nate was in for a pretty big news flash.

Carter laughed as they walked towards the bar. “I appreciate the offer, of course, but I wouldn’t want to impose. If Nate comes into town he might take you up on that.” He held the door open for Julia and smiled down at her. “You don’t need the burden of the two of us as well.”

Carter stepped inside the dark bar and felt a bit of a smile crawl onto his face. The bar was dark and dingy, the exact opposite from the clubs they frequented in California. While this wasn’t a vacation by any means, it was calming to get away from the busy life he lead in the public eye.

What caught his attention though, was the man Serena was talking to. Was she flirting? It sure looked like it. She was flirting…. And with Nate, of all people. “Looks like we are going to see him sooner rather than later.” Carter said to Julia, nodding over at the pair. “Come on, I’m sure Nate will love to see you at least.”

-

Serena smirked a bit. “I hear he’s a bit of an oaf really. His assistant keeps him in line.” She teased, wondering if the man had caught on yet. “Nate, wasn’t it?” She asked sweetly, even though Nate had never told her his name.

Footsteps came up behind her and she turned her head, knowing her little tease was up. “Mr. Grey.” She said warmly, moving her purse out of the way. “May I order you and your friend a drink?” She asked sweetly.

Carter looked from her to his brother. “Nate.” He said, nodding a bit. “I see you met my assistant Serena.” He turned to Serena. “A drink would be great, thanks. Serena, this is Julia Bell. An old friend of the family.” He was happy his brother was there… for the sake of his mom. He just wasn’t sure he was ready to have a conversation with him yet.

Serena smiled and stuck her hand out for Julia to shake. “Pleasure, Ms. Bell. Would you like a drink?” She asked as she pulled out Carter’s credit card as she tried to ease the tension from the staring contest Carter seemed to be engaged in.​

She shrugged. "The offer still stands," she murmured, ducking under his arm with ease as she slipped into the bar.

But her face brightened as she saw Nate, and without hesitation she quickly slipped her way over and embraced him, as if they'd seen each other the day before, and not almost ten years ago.

It was a relief to know he was here, for her own sake, and for Carter's. She let go of him and hopped up on a barstool, the bartender already preparing an iced tea for her before she could ask.

"Nate," she began. "Long time no see." She didn't speak maliciously, but was truly glad he had returned. She watched with glee as his face lit up as well.

And before he could reply, she leaned over to greet Serena, relieved to say the least that the two weren't in a relationship. "I've got it covered, you don't need to worry about me, thank you though. Nice to meet you." She smiled to the woman kindly, shaking her hand. She couldn't believe how pretty she was, in all honesty.

Nate wasn't nearly as bright to the others as Julia had been, but seeing her brightened his face quickly as she returned her embrace. "Long time no see," he echoed, letting her go. "Sorry about that, Jules."

But then he turned to face his brother, only blinking to acknowledge his words. He didn't want to get into all the problems the two had- especially so early and right in front of Julia.

And then he turned to face Serena, narrowing his eyes amusedly. "So, Serena, it seems you did know he had an attractive younger brother. Good play. I almost believed for a moment you didn't know him." He smirked, taking another sip of his drink.

He felt blue eyes identical to his boring into his back, so Nate turned again, locking eyes with his brother for a moment. He didn't let go until Julia tugged at his arm, seeing the tension. She murmured something in his ear before taking a sip of her own drink as it appeared.

Carter looked away when Nate finally looked back to Julia. A twitch in his stomach bothered him when he saw how close the two were immediately. Sure they had been great friends, but Julia was whispering in Nate’s ear and sitting awfully close… something he didn’t enjoy. Carter took a sip out of the beer Serena had ordered him and he looked over at the small brunette next to him as he heard Nate’s comment.

“Were you flirting with my brother, Serena?” He asked, almost a bit amused. He didn’t know much about Serena’s personal life, so he found it humorous.

“Conversing, Mr. Grey. I’m not a robot.” Serena said, feeling her cheeks turn red as she looked back down at the emails on her phone. “Now, we need to check into the room within the next hour or we lose our reservations. They only have one room available, so we do have to share.” She said as she looked back up at her boss.

“Actually, Julia has offered for all of us to stay at her parent’s house.” He said in a mild attempt to one-up his brother. “If that offer still stands, it would be a lot better than sharing a hotel room. That hotel is old and I didn’t realize we were sharing a room.”

Serena nodded a bit, making a note of it. “As you wish, Mr. Grey. I wasn’t keen on it either.” She said lightly, a bit of a smirk on her face. “Will your brother be joining us?”

Carter shrugged. “I’m not sure, up to him and Jules.” He said, feeling a bit pained at the thought.

"That was my hint that you should ask." Serena said, emotionless.​

Julie and Nate were off in their own small world as they talked, as if they were still the closest of friends. But that's how their relationship always had been, clean and unbreakable.

They chuckled once more before they turned to face their companions, eyes bright. "So, Carter, Serena," she began. "Your invitation to my parent's still stands, I'm making pizza tonight and their wine cellar is full to the brim. It won't be as fancy as your Californian house parties, but it's fine."

Nate's eyes seemed to dullen at the mention of their shared invitation, but he was not about to let Julia down to stick a point to his brother. So he nodded towards Serena, smiling. He shrugged, as if to say, 'I'll see you there?'

But as Julia looked between Carter and Serena, she looked like a young deer in headlights- wide brown eyes and a tilted head. But her face was hopeful, almost as if she was silently trying to persuade the two. The dark atmosphere of the room made her eyes look even more luminous, her hair falling over her shoulder.

"It'll be fun, I promise," she added, sipping her iced tea quickly before sliding the empty glass onto the worn, old counter of the bar. "It's getting late anyways. Carter, you know the address. Show up whenever if you change your mind."

She waved politely to Serena and Carter, and she hopped off of the barstool, Nate following silently behind her as they made their way towards the door.

Serena gave Nate and Julia a small smile and she watched the two leave. "Mr. Grey, I in no way tell you what to do, but I highly recommend we stay there with them. More space, and more time with your family." She said softly, looking back at Carter as she finished her drink. She knew what the best thing was for them, but she just needed Carter to see it as well.

Carter looked at Serena briefly and jumped up, running after Nate and Julia. They had just made it outside when he caught up to them. "Wait up, Jules." He said, a bit out of breath. "Fine, we will stay with you." He said with a bit of a smile. "I can't turn down the time with my best friend after all." He laughed a bit as he saw his driver waiting there expectantly. "We will follow you in our car and meet you there."

Serena paid the tab and was soon out behind the group of people, giving them a bit of a wave as she walked to the car, her phone glued to her ear as she cancelled their hotel reservations. She gave Nate a small smile as she got into the car, Carter following her soon after. Serena was fine with staying at Julia's house, but it was going to be the most casual setting her and Carter had been in together, and frankly she didn't do casual.

Carter instructed the driver where to go, and soon they were on their way to Julia's house, a nervous silence filling the car.​

house ref
Julia was speaking with Nate as Carter stepped out of the bar, calling her name. She smiled as he seemed to be in a hurry to find her. The woman pointed Nate to where her old red car sat along the sidewalk. Nate returned Serena's smile quickly.

Nate continued walking, nodding at her words as he took they keys from her, hopping into the driver's side and starting the car. Julia then turned back to Carter, her cheeks rosy in the chill. She echoed his laugh with a soft one of her own, nodding. "Good. We'll see you there," she replied, waving and quickly walking off to her car.

"Alright, Nate, don't kill us," she called, opening the door and sliding in. She turned the radio on as Nate began driving, still remembering the way there.

1546022635883.png

Jules' face broke into a warm smile as Nate pulled into the driveway. She opened the red car door and grabbed her purse and bags, snatching the keys from Nate as she rushed up the steps to the beautiful yellow home. She opened the door quickly, the house quite cold, but still nostalgic.

Nate didn't wait for Serena or Carter to arrive, rather following Julia into the house and stepping inside with a smile. He found the thermostat and turned the heat up. Julia called down the stairs for him, as she'd already rushed up them. Following her directions, he made his way into the wine cellar and grabbed whatever he could carry and brought it up to the breakfast bar.

Julia came down the stairs loudly, changed into a college sweatshirt and leggings. She thanked Nate and he took a seat at the bar while Julia started to prepare what she needed for dinner. She worked in silence as she waited for the other two to enter, her hair already a mess.

As they approached the house, Serena smiled a bit. The house was absolutely gorgeous - she loved it. She got out of the car as Carter grabbed their bags, and they walked into the house. Carter gave her directions to one of the guest rooms and she ran up to freshen up, as business casual didn't really fit in the setting of a lazy evening with friends... or her boss, his former best friend, and his estranged brother. No, this wasn't weird at all.

Carter meanwhile, walked into the kitchen. "Hey Jules." He said warmly, going over to her. "Thanks again for having us. Serena is upstairs changing into something that doens't involve heels." He said with a bit of a chuckle. "Do you need help with anything? I'm more than happy to oblige." He said as he leaned against he counter and giving the girl his trademark smile.

Serena came down the steps, having changed into leggings and a cropped t shirt. Her hair was back in a neat high ponytail. "Don't listen to him, Ms. Bell." She said with a giggle as she leaned against the breakfast bar. "He's an awful cook. He would eat takeout every day if he didn't have a chef." She laughed a little and pulled down some glasses for the wine. "Mr. Grey can't cook cereal without somehow messing it up."

Carter rolled his eyes. "One day she will call me Carter." He whispered teasingly to Julia. "I'm not sure when, but don't listen to her. I'm a great chef."

Serena just giggled a bit and opened a bottle, looking over at Nate. "Mt. Grey, wine?" She asked him as she filled the glasses. It was going to be weird calling them both Mr. Grey, but hopefully they would be able to figure it out. She poured glasses for Julia and Carter as well.​

Julia lifted her head, crouched at the bottom of the pantry as she looked for the sauce that her parents always seemed to leave as far back in the cabinets as possible. "It's no big deal, Carter, you know that." She narrowly missed hitting her head on the shelves.

She chuckled at his offer to help her cook, and she pondered over it for a moment as she continued to clumsily dart around the kitchen, pulling ingredients, bowls, and utensils out as she needed. She only paused to tie her hair up on her head quickly, hoping to keep the coppery brown strands out of her hair.

"I'll be fine, I think," she said, laughing lightly at Serena's interjection. She paused to listen to her words with a small smile on her face. "And, please, Serena, it's Julia."

She pulled dough out of a covered bowl, the scent strong as she sighed with a smile. She could still cook it seemed. With an elegant flick of her wrists, the dough fell with a hollow thud onto the island. She pressed into it gently, chuckling as Carter whispered lowly to her.

Nate watched with thoughtful blue eyes as Carter leaned close towards Julia, and he rolled his eyes, leaning back in the tall chair. He turned to look at Serena as she said his name. "It's Nate," he teased. "I'm not fancy like Mr. Famous over there. But yes, please." He took one of the filled glasses, drinking it easily.

Julia decided to wait until dinner to try and hold down her wine, as she was a pretty light drinker. More than a glass would send her a little woozy. She waved off Carter's requests to help her, smiling. "No, go drink your wine and talk to your brother. Fix whatever the hell is happening between you guys."

She continued to work on making the pizza, tossing it onto a pan as she turned.

"Whatever you say, Mr. Grey." Serena said softly as she took a sip of her wine, a small smirk playing on her lips. She looked away from the man in front of her when she heard Carter come over and join them. "Excuse me." She said, walking away from the table and forcing them to speak to each other. Serena wandered over to Julia, leaning against the counter and looking over at the two boys across the room.

"Do you need any help?" She asked softly, looking over at the girl in front of her. "I'm much more skilled than Mr. Grey and I didn't want to stand in the middle of that conversation." She said with a laugh as she felt her eyes linger on Nate for a moment. She felt a small smirk play on her lips. She knew she was drawn to him a bit, but she wanted to keep her distance. It was what was best, for her career anyway.

"Do you think they will be able to work it out?" She asked softly. "I don't even know what happened... it was never talked about."

-

Carter sighed a bit when Serena slipped away. He truly hated her sometimes, that was for sure. Now he was stuck with his brother and he had to make conversation. If they didn't, well it would make them sharing this house even more awkward. "So..." He started out before he hesitated. What was he supposed to say? What did they even argue about that long ago?

"So, how long are you staying in town?" He asked, finally looking at Nate. "Serena cleared my schedule until further notice as I wasn't sure about the timing of everything or how long I was going to want to stay here." He said, taking a sip of his wine... a very large sip. "I didn't know what your plans were." He said quietly, looking back down at the table.

It was true. He had tried to call Nate twenty times this week to no answer. He didn't know how long Nate even planned on being here until he skipped town.​

Julia smiled at Serena as the woman approached, slightly breathless as she paused to look at her. A chuckle left her lips as she spoke, her hazel eyes alight.

“I don’t blame you, not at all. Nate’s a good man, but not when it come to family. He had a rough time with the Greys growing
up.” She finished the rest of the pizza as she spoke, and she placed it in the hot oven. “And if you could set a timer for. . ten minutes? That should be fine.” She dusted her hands off on a towel that hung from the island, and she softened as she heard the rest of the woman’s words.

“I hope so,” she said earnestly, dusting the excess flour off of the table. “Nate’s still stubborn as hell, but he wants nothing more than to be back with his family. I can’t say much for Carter— he’s changed. But I’m sure he wants Nate back.”

She sighed, turning to face the woman. “I invited the both of them here for a reason. Nate didn’t know Carter was coming. They just need to talk. They’ll be in town for a while, anyways, won’t they?”

-

Nate downed his wine with a swift flip of his wrist as his brother walked up. He didn’t hate him, he supposed. He hated the way his shadow tossed over himself. He just wanted to be noticed.

He gave a dry smirk at his hesitation. “As long as I want,” he said. “Until Jules kicks me out.” He grabbed the long-necked bottle of wine, pouring himself another glass. Nate could handle his alcohol. This was just like juice to him.

“What about you?” he shot back. “Probably not too long. Heavens knows you’ve probably got some parties or gigs that you’ve gotta fly back to. Hopefully Jules doesn’t get too attached to you while you’re here.”

His words were sharp, he knew. But he hadn’t seen Carter in years. He had a lot of pent up frustrations that he hadn’t had the chance to take out— especially ones regarding his brother. He didn’t mention the times he’d ignored him, or the times he’d just blocked his calls.

He sighed, turning away from his brother to Julia and Serena chatting, smiling.

Last edited:
Serena listened a bit, keeping an eye on the two guys as they talked. “Carter is one of the most genuine people I’ve ever worked with… and my job is to literally deal with celebrities. He could be a lot lot worse, trust me.” She said as she took a sip of her wine. She knew what ‘worse’ was too. He was very kind to her, and to most people he’s met.

“If you’d like my honest opinion, while he isn’t here for a good reason, I think he welcomed a small break and the ability to return. He’s been exhausting himself with his work.” She said as she looked back towards Julia. “I’m glad he ran into you. I’m his closest friend, and he pays me to be it… he needed someone.”

Serena set the timer on the counter, her back turning to the boys as she took one more sip of her wine. “His schedule is clear for a while… right now he’s at a point where it can be clear for a long while. He doesn’t start filming for almost six months.” She smiled back at Julia. “It seems like you guys were really close.”

-

Carter kept a close eye on his brother. “No parties, no gigs.” He said quietly. “We don’t really do that. She keeps me on a tight schedule.” He said, gesturing towards Serena with a bit of a shrug. “We work 16-18 hours days mostly.” He said, shaking his head. He sighed, finishing his wine and grabbing the bottle once his brother was done.

“So I’ll be here as long as I need to be.” He said, a bit defiantly, looking back up at his brother. “And I don’t plan on losing contact with the people I reconnect with here.” He said, quietly trying to make sure Julia and Serena didn’t hear them. “We were teens when we left last time. We are adults now.” He said softly. “She’s one of our best friends. I won’t lose contact.”

“Now Serena, I don’t know how long she will be here. She has no reason to be.” He said with a shrug. “She’s here because I’m paying her to be.”​

She smiled faintly, finally picking up her wine and taking a small sip. "Yeah- he was like that when we were young too. He's always been a good person." Especially to her, she thought. But their relationship had never gone farther than that, just the best of friends.

Julia nodded in agreement as Serena continued speaking. "I'm sure the small break was welcomed. Not so much the return. He didn't talk to me for so long- I always wondered why. I guess he was busy. I never expected to come first, I just thought it would've lasted longer than it did. But the past is the past."

She took another sip of her wine, the glass still fairly full as she shrugged with a sigh. "We were. Nate and I were pretty close too. It just kinda sucked to lose them so quickly." Six months? She rubbed her temples as she set down her wine. Even if he wanted to stay for that long, he probably had other jobs and celebrity stuff to finish.

Julia always seemed to get too attached. Maybe one day, it would be enough to make them stay.

-

Nate scoffed, shaking his head. "Are you trying to guilt trip me into believing you, Carter?" he replied. He took a second drawn out sip of his wine, the glass held firmly in his hand. "We already know just how much you work."

He paused as if he was unsure of what to say, taking a deep breath. "Good for you. Maybe Julia will finally realize just how different the lifestyles you two have are." He didn't mean to sound malicious, but he didn't want Julia to get her hopes up to only be ditched when the media needed him back.

"But isn't that a little sad? That you have to pay a girl to travel around with you?" he tilted his head, as if trying to act innocent. "Just leave it. I'll be here and then I'll be gone. Just like old times, yeah?" He looked at his brother once more before making his way off of the bar stool and towards the living room. He shuffled around beside the fireplace: getting a fire started would be good to keep the house warmed up.

Carter was furious. Nate knew NOTHING about him. What hurt Carter the most was that Nate didn’t want to know anything about him. Nate wanted to believe things that weren’t even true. Carter slammed his fist on the bar and he sighed, finishing his wine and pouring another glass. He looked at Julia. “What the hell did I do wrong?” He muttered, his head going into his hands.

As Serena slipped away, he looked at Julia. “I tried to start a conversation. I tried to talk to him. I’ve been trying to talk to him. He won’t let me.” He sat on the stool in front of her, taking a long swig of his champagne. “I can’t help my schedule. I can’t help that he doesn’t want anything to do with me.”

A frustrated look on his face, he looked up at Julia. “Jules, what do I do?”

-

Serena took the cue as Carter broke down that she should disappear. Julia knew more about this than this than she did. She quietly excused herself, grabbing a bottle of wine off the breakfast bar and making a mental note to buy a case for Julia after they left. She wandered into the living room and saw Nate making a fire.

She plopped onto the couch, her phone in her hand as she answered emails, and she set the bottle of wine onto the table in front of her. She wasn’t there to talk to him about his brother. She just wanted to be somewhere that she wasn’t the third wheel.

‘is it always so chilly at night up here?” She said out loud, not looking over at Nate. “I’m not used to this.”​

Julia jumped at the loud slam, her eyes widening like a deer caught in the headlights of a truck. Her brows tugged together in a mix of confusion and fright at the loud noise. She sighed as Serena slipped away, wishing the young woman would help her with this.

"Carter, he's jealous of you," she replied quietly. "All he wants is to be looked at by your family the same way you are." She took another sip of her wine, her muscles relaxing as the liquid finally seemed to be making its way into her head. "You can't expect him to open up after thirty seconds. Give him time," she sighed. Please?"

Her head disappeared behind the bar as she bent down to get the pizzas out of the oven, the timer's trilling call following right after. She hissed as the pans were hot: maybe grabbing them with her bare hands wasn't smart. Her reddened hands found the timer and shut it off, and she shut the oven off afterwards. She reappeared with two large wooden cutting boards in her hands, sliding the pizzas onto each. "Take one of these into the living room," she said. Her hands swayed as she held out one for him to take.

-

Nate's head popped up as Serena came back into the living room, the fire he had started was bright and warm already. He was kind of glad she didn't bring Carter up as she set the bottles of wine on the table.

So he sat beside her, taking one of the bottles of wine by the neck and taking a sip straight from it. "Thanks for that," he said brightly. He watched her for a moment before blinking his ocean blue eyes and turning away.

He let her speak in silence for a moment. "This is Maine," he said. "It's always cold. Here, take this." He tossed a blanket her way, the thick wool warm in the chill of the room. "The pizza and fire will warm you up, though."

Serena giggled a bit, catching the blanket and putting it over her legs. She chose to not drink out of the bottle - that was far from classy. No, instead she poured herself a glass and sat bag, grinning over at the boy next to her. "Well aren't you classy broad." She teased, watching him drink out of the bottle. "Thank you for the blanket, Mr. Grey. It's very much appreciated."

Her dark eyes danced in the fire an she shivered a bit, even with the blanket on her. Maybe the wine would help? She took a drink, closing her eyes and swallowing. "Even though it's cold here, it's definitely beautiful. It's picture perfect." She said as she smirked over at the man next to her. "And a house like this? Damn." She said softly.

"So, what do you do besides looking dark and mysterious all the time? Do you travel the country and sit in bars and flirt with pretty girls? Because that's all I've seen so far." She teased, looking over at the man once more.

-

Carter watched the girl burn her hands and he sighed, getting her a cool towel. "Jules, you need to use oven mitts." He said softly, taking the cutting board from her. "Here, put this on your hands. It'll help." He said softly. "Let me run this out there so they have something to eat while they bond over hating me." He said, lightly attempting to make a joke.

Carter left her and walked into the room, raising an eye slightly at how close the two of them were sitting. They were on the same couch, in deep conversation, and both looked happy... he wasn't sure how he felt about this. Nate was such a dick to him... and here he was looking awfully cozy with his assistant. Carter abruptly set the pizza down on the table. "In case you're hungry." He snapped, setting it down and turning on his heel, heading back into the kitchen.

He turned and looked at Julia as he walked into the kitchen. "Well they looked awfully cozy in there." He muttered as he sat down at the counter.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back