• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Territory 6

Little City North Exit:
Case In Point Quest

Lahz Cho

Did she like Joker? Uh. It was hard to say. Looking at the lack of tact sitting in the back through the car's rear-view mirror, Lahz could not tell. 'Find him endearingly honest with his words', the T-Horse said. Kind of like her. Muh. As if she were anything like him. To begin with, the Breaker knew how to hold her tongue in delicate situations as well uphold the appearance she had at least a modicum of class. Honestly, Cho didn't care back there whether he was right or wrong. You weighed carefully the act of a yell. Deriding? Barking orders like some kind of god when he barely looked like he could pass 5 feet tall. How old was he anyway? However, looking to the left, a better question might've been who the heck was his friend. Hands (?) around the wheel, Lahz insisted she sit in the front, but feeling some strange aura that made her hairs stand on end, she might've been better off sitting in the back with JinX.

"Wha..."

About to ask what that thing sitting in the front seat was, Lahz decided suddenly not to go that route. Recalling the guild-master saying something about the guy calling out a pet or else, a 2-and-2 was tentatively put together. Considering the boy was an OS Phantom...and reading up on their class...it was not a thought process she wanted to go down. Steeling her innards and nerves, of course he wouldn't be dumb enough to be letting some monster like show she saw in the Plains drive them back to its outskirts. There had to some line of sanity. And even if there wasn't, she didn't want to know.

"Ahem," Lahz coughed, shielding her lips with a slender hand. "Jinx. The Suteki Suteki Blade. It's beautiful isn't it? I'm an artist, but I honestly don't think I could have designed something more marvelous myself. That first time I saw it in the Guild Shop, reading the description was a bit funny, but just based off the looks alone, I knew it was a weapon I had to have. I couldn't afford it unfortunately. We as Codebreakers get paid a lot, but when it comes to buying things for the job, I noticed they cost a lot too. Have you seen the Flamenco? A weapon like that would cost 2 month's salary for the average buyer. A normal person. It's really odd to think about," she trailed off as they neared the entrance to Little City Exit. North. Eyes flipping back to the driver of the car, it was unnerving how this person (?) could navigate the roads so well. Swearing it turned and was somehow now staring right back, Lahz immediately shifted to her own window as buildings gave way to rocky mesa and stone plains.

"Anyway," she said, continuing to avoid addressing Joker, rather, treating him like a third person who might as well have not been there.

"In what you asked before, about the person. I don't know. It's one reason I like you, JinX. You're a respectful child. You give the deference that's proper and are polite to adults. Any other way would not likely get you anywhere and is just flat-out rude. You understand how thing work. If everybody were more like that, I think that'd it make this world a better place - even if a tiny bit."

The car was now driving on a road run through grass, and the familiar towering mountains surrounding the exit to the Pendeji Plains loomed. Yet that wasn't where they were going. It was just a short distance away where they would stop. Hopefully as they neared the castle sitting in the hills they would find that man from before still standing with the sign and not...not...

Dead.

Biting her lip, Jinx was definitely right. It was better being out in the wilderness with others as opposed to being by yourself. Also, ceteris paribus, there was something else she might have been right about too. It would take some time get used to people like Joker, but she had to admit it was nice riding together with those who were in the same guild. As with Trouble, Anubis, Yung Icarus and Stein, they might have shared differences in personality and temperament, but they weren't random strangers; they were part of the same group. Pwnies. It was quite ridiculous she found some of this enjoyable. Instead of going after this man solo...there were those who'd assist in bringing him back safe. With all the levels they gained, surely whatever monsters were out there, they'd take with ease. As insane as she found it, Edge La's training session really did help. They seemed more confident than before. That Deviant Yung Icarus was probably thinking he could ride a bike with no handle bars now. Lahz rolled her eyes.

"We're getting close to where I saw him last. There might be dogs out around, but we should be okay. Even with the two of you using some of your power to take out Edge La, I'm an Internet Explorer. It'll be my turn to take care of you now," Lahz nodded, pressing her face into the glass looking for any signs.

"And Joker," the woman said finally without turning back. "That was a good plan you had back there. Good job. It was a shame we weren't able to see it through. I can at least say I like you more than Yung Icarus and Anubis," she spun, catching his eye for just a moment.

"Keep at it. We might need some more of that quick thinking while we're out here too."

QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel
GasMaskie GasMaskie

Last edited:
Little City North Exit:
Case In Point Quest

Joker

"Hmph."

That was all that her words elicited from the detective as he stared out the window. The path to victory was simple enough for anyone to see - at least he hoped. For the young man gazing at the passing scenery, he was simply the first one to speak up. Of course, even with certain victory, the only reason they had managed to achieve the impossible was that Deviant Artist's luck. It's luck that decides your lot in life, steals away victory and carries you from defeat. How fickle.

The amnesiac leaned towards the window - perhaps a little surprising compared to his almost unsettling lack of compunctions when it came to approaching the young woman sitting next to her. Perhaps even odder was the fact that he hadn't spoken to her since Edge La's demise - was this a sign of the private investigator turning the tables and playing hard to get...?

"Maxwell, radio."

A sudden end to the young man's silence as his monstrous chauffeur brought one of its four-fingered hands to the radio. Without removing its mask-covered eyes from the path ahead, its fingers quickly worked the device. After a split-second of virtual tuning, a melancholy melody slinked out of the luxury roadster's speakers.

Jazz. A genre of music - rather, the sole type of music that the enigma named Joker listened to. Enough so that what little he had earned solving small-time cases in Little City went towards assembling a respectable playlist of the sonorous melodies. A perfect coincidence for the self-styled, hardboiled detective. And perhaps more importantly; the perfect background noise to think in. His eyes strained slightly as he continued his unrelenting outward gaze towards the changing landscape. A sigh escaped his lips.

Not a single thing looks familiar. All memories come with time; was that a saying? Just how long has it been since I started this life? ...Just what sort of life did I live before this? And what of that error when I first logged in...? Heh, look at me - a detective without a single clue about himself. Irony may not be as fickle a mistress as Fortune, but she's quite cruel. He adjusted his gloves as he sat up straight in the backseat - the young man's sharp glare alternated between JinX and Black Gold. His thoughts shifted appropriately.

Despite her haughty attitude, that woman is greener than a leaf. To think she'd do nothing but stand in complete shock and provide a running commentary from the fight. It's as if she's never had to fight for her life. Idealistic too. Maybe she'll be able to pull her weight this time - assuming that this is actually a trap. Having an Internet Explorer on hand is always a good stratagem... Is it now? It's not as if I've fought with others at my side before this. Curious. Regardless of that cold shoulder and terrible personality, at the very least, she seemed to hold a certain disdain for that foul-mouthed punk just as I do. I don't think it'd be possible for her to be nearly as useless as her or that other girl who bit the dust - she could at least follow the flow of combat even if her body couldn't.

There was a subtle difference in the way that detective looked at both women. One gaze was purely analytical, cold and impersonal. As if one was flipping through a magazine that caught their eye while waiting for patients. A mere scan. Even thoughts, as fast as they were, lasted longer than the act. Yet for the other woman, behind his eyes hid a passionate flame - one that burned on the candle of intrigue deep within him. Perhaps she was an existence who had stoked the sleuth's spirit within him to peaks that were previously unheard of. Or perhaps there was something more carnal behind that intrigue - this was a question that only time could answer. Behind those feelings, however, was a conflict - a desire to learn all that he could. To solve the mystery. And another desire - an admiration for that woman's enigma. A sort of admiration for an unfinished puzzle.

JinX... The person whom I can both trust and distrust to the highest degree. As much as I hate to admit it, she's honestly become comparable to Maxwell in terms of irreplaceablity. And yet - she's deceitful and a natural liar. An antithesis to someone who seeks the truth and revels in candor. I suppose, my interest in her really is just something that defies logic. Even though she's someone I should naturally detest, more than anything, I wish to see that inner truth she hides so vehemently from those she'd call friends and even more so to people like me. I wonder how much she's grown to despise me.

He adjusted the fedora - he'd likely tip it sooner or later.

A femme fatale... perhaps that's why I'm drawn to her like a moth to a raging inferno. Though, I doubt that smile of hers has led to demise of many a man... I can still smell her on my hat... Her natural hair color is probably brown, but it's entirely possible that it's dyed pink in real life. Hmm, she mentioned earlier that she was thinking of transferring to Duchamp - a name I'm not particularly familiar with. Not that I should be, education is an impossibility for me - as with many other things. Hmph... she was right about one thing earlier. She's not my keeper. It should be more than obvious that the only reason I tagged along was to continue my ongoing investigation. Something like that is so obvious that it might as well remain unsaid. I could honestly leave her side anytime I wanted - she can't keep me from going anywhere I want to.

It hadn't dawned upon the young man at this point, but he was staring at her with a rather noticeable intensity while hiding the lower half of his face with his now removed hat. Lost in thought, perhaps his body had simply actuated subconsciously to render him in such a state. And perhaps to others, the destination in his eyes was the bedroom. To the more savvy, however, it was just as likely to be a dimly lit interrogation room at a precinct. If his cheeks were reddening underneath the dark brim of his fedora, they would surely remain unseen.

QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel
White Masquerade White Masquerade

Last edited by a moderator:
Little City North Exit:
Case In Point Quest

JinX - Jessika Xanders

Awkward.

It was a word that summed up the ride in with Lahz and Joker pretty well—at least in Jessika’s mind. However, the Trojan let none of her misgivings show on her face. Seated in the back next to Joker, JinX kept her eyes out the window, observing the changing scenery while the detective’s mysterious driver took them to the destination of their quest. It made sense for Lahz to sit in front, as she was the only one of them to have seen the man with the sign. Not that the Internet Explorer seemed particularly happy with her choice. Resisting the urge to snigger, since that would add another layer of unnecessary strangeness to their ride, JinX simply listened while Lahz spoke to her. About the Suteki Suteki. About her opinion, or rather, her non-opinion of Joker.

The compliment given to her wasn’t even really a compliment and JinX concluded that Lahz wasn’t very good at complementing people. Still, it confirmed that she’d read Lahz’s character right. The woman was strongly opinionated and entirely upfront about what she liked. What she didn’t like. What her ideal world was. Lips twitching, JinX kept her bright eyes calmly transfixed out the window as pavement gave way to grass.

“Thanks, Missus Cho. I’ll do my best,”
was the only response she’d given to Lahz’s lackuster praise as they neared the area where the Internet Explorer had spotted the man. Joker didn’t even give a response. Just made a derisive noise and told his chauffeur to turn on the radio. Jazz music played in the car, adding a bit of melodic somberness to their ride. Classic. At least the silent ‘driver’ now had a name. Certainly his partner, since Joker didn’t look like the type to have—or afford—a butler.

She appraised the castle that seemed to loom in the background as they drew closer to their intended destination. “Speaking of money, how much to you think a virtual building like that is worth?” JinX questioned with casual interest—partly to divert away some of the negativity in the car and partly due to actual interest.

She wasn’t impervious to the intense stare directed at her by Joker. She had to be blind not to notice. It was simply that she’d chosen tactful ignorance for now. The guy had clearly ignored her warning. Gaze flickering to the detective, she shot him a beatific smile, before looking back out the window. At least she now knew that he didn’t suspect her of criminal activity or anything like that. And the fight with Edge La, working together on two quests, stemmed her initial paranoia. There wasn’t anything to be paranoid about anyway.

“Much more than all the weapons in the Guild shop combined probably. Can't deny that Edge La isn’t the most generous of employers. Really. She hasn’t even given us the crossguard for surviving her training yet. It’s probably worth as much as her katanas if sold in the right market. Maybe more since she said it was one of a kind—oh!” JinX leaned closer to the window, her eyes zeroing in on a man with a sign. “I think I found the one we’re looking for.”

GasMaskie GasMaskie

Drawing Fire Quest: Little City Regional Airport
Lynn Hong
Rhyme

Lynn's smile grew into one of genuine delight upon seeing Royal’s face yet again. So he hadn't been wrong. Naturally then, his gaze drew to the unknown third person of the party, taking in the bright blonde hair and the piercings with a sort of fascination. Katsura introduced this boy as Dez. While the name did sound vaguely familiar to the librarian, he did not remember formally making the acquaintance of a person of Dez's age. He murmured a 'nice to meet you', all the while wondering why Edge La had recruited an adolescent for this mission in particular.

Katsura's presence should have alleviated some of his worry since Edge La had spoken so highly of her capabilities, but the wine fiasco earlier had left him with an impression of the woman as an impulsive drunk with a penchant for making scenes. Her current state -- professional smile and measured demeanor -- clashed so horribly with this image that he would have believed the incident during their first meeting to be a figment of his imagination, if it weren't for her lack of shoes. The revelation that the poor shoeless woman was, in fact, Katsura changed his entire assessment of the situation. Maybe she'd experienced some adversities during her previous assignment, or maybe she'd gotten overly relaxed back at the bar. Really, he wasn't sure which possibility was more likely to be true.

This train of thought left Lynn feeling rather guilty as Katsura had treated him with nothing but friendliness in the private message she'd sent him. But now wasn't the time to let his mind wander. He looked behind Royal, in the direction of the taller man's current attentions. A young man wearing a bandanna grabbed his eye as the most suspicious figure on scene. Evidently, Royal thought the same.

"Ready?"

"If you are," Lynn managed weakly. The reality was hitting him that he could be apprehending a potential terrorist -- that backpack that man was carrying was especially sinister. However, there was no time to ponder whether or not he was truly prepared for the task at hand because their target had already begun moving into the crowd.

"Let's go!" This exhortation of Lynn's was tainted with a touch of almost hysterical anxiety, but he grabbed Royal by the hand without hesitation and plunged headlong into the crush of people. A path of disgruntled bystanders littered their target's wake, while Lynn's own litany of apologies seemed to excuse the teenager for his rudeness.

Finally, they stopped before Gate P in a rather sudden fashion -- not because they'd successfully sought an end to this line of inquiry, but because their target had turned to look them right in the eye. This gave Lynn such a surprise that the blood immediately drained from his face and, forgetting that it was Royal's hand he was still holding, he gripped it like a lifeline. P-K. PKFire. This man could be possibly carrying a bomb. And this man could have potentially signaled his guild-mates with those hand signs of his. He was a goddamned librarian, he didn't know how to deal with terrorists or player killers!

It was Kid Brahhh's self-introduction afterwards that brought Lynn back to a semblance of function.

"F-fu...boy?" He colored at the crassness of this address, and upon realizing that he was, in fact, holding Royal's hand, released it like he'd been burned. "I'll have you know that I'm older than you," he huffed. The old 'respect your elders' teachings ingrained upon him by his mother were resurfacing. "And did you think we would go home because you asked us to? Tell us what you're up to. Why did you ask us to come here?"

Lucem Lucem White Masquerade White Masquerade

Katsura "K" Kagenetsu, Little City Regional Airport (Territory 6)
Not long after Dez pointed her out, the girl started moving. Whether it was chance or not Katsura wasn't sure, but either way she had to admire the kid's instincts, being to wrapped up in her head and their 'gifts' to have taken notice of her.

"Right! Let's get to it then."
Giving Dez a pat on the back, Katsura set out into the crowd. It wasn't long until she started to feel like 'excitement' she'd felt when chasing down Mya again. Luckily she didn't have any shoes to discard this time. Part of her was concerned. The thrill of the chase is what they called this, right? She only hoped it wasn't coming from some part of her that was looking forward to a fight. Or some part of her that just wanted to chase little girls. Now THAT was a scary thought.

As the girl weaved through the crowd, Katsura matched her movements turn for turn. It really wasn't much different from her years of navigating her way through the lunch rush. Trusting Dez to keep up, she squeezed through gaps, darted through openings, and spoke the odd "Excuse me" under her breath to the ears that looked cooperative enough to push her way through the crowd, keeping pace with her quarry without her theatrics and flexibility.

When she came to a stop, she couldn't help but eye the floating cup.

But when she keyed into what she was saying, she couldn't help but give her words her full attention.

She hadn't yet thought about it from that angle. The consequences of Gay Lord's, and even her actions. She'd ruined his career? That was hardly her fault. He'd been the one who had attacked her. She wasn't even the one who killed him. Was she just supposed to scream for the camera and let him cut her down? Hardly. Even if he was paying, he wouldn't be able to convince her to do anything as stupid as that. Still. She thought long and hard about what she was going to say next. It wasn't like she had any real attachment to the Pwnies. Hell, she didn't even trust Edge La. Not even as far as she could throw her, not yet. If these were the negotiations they'd been called her for, and she was supposed to be weighing the safety of all the people around her against her enrollment in this gathering of chuunis, the scales weren't even a little balanced.

But the mention of Gay Lord also had reminded her of the other little girl she'd been chasing after today. Left to her own devices would she end up like him? Or maybe the girl standing in front of her? Sure, Edge La seemed to care about her well enough, but her hands were hardly free of blood either. Miss Slavery came to mind too. The two had hardly spoken, and she wanted to avoid her even more than she did Mya. But the adult in her didn't want to cut ties with either of those two. One she wanted to help, and the other she wanted to settle things with.

That was funny. The closest thing she'd made to a friend today was a drinking buddy, but she was still finding excuses to stay.

She got the idea that all of this reluctance was going to lead back to wanting to 'belong' or something stupid like that, but those were feelings she couldn't be bothered sorting out just yet.

"Is that supposed to make me feel bad?" When she eventually opened her mouth, Katsura locked eyes with the girl. Her gaze was unflinching. "If you're trying to guilt trip me for bringing a serial killer to justice... Try harder. He got what was coming to him. That's all. So, in light of that-" Keeping her eyes locked with the girl's Katsura closed the gap between them, coming to a stop only an arm's length away from her. "-Sure. I'll play ball. Give me the address. If it checks out, I'll quit. I'll drop out of their hair, out of Edge La's employ, and you'll never see me hanging around them again." For a moment, she let her words hang in the air.

And then she sighed, and her gaze relaxed.

It was nice to get off her chest, but now that she'd spoken them aloud those words definitely felt wrong.

"At least that's what I want to say. Are you PKFire types friends? Personally I don't have that privilege. Edge La seems to have a habit of attracting weirdos and pains in the asses, but it's hard not to want to babysit a group like that. Unlike you guys-" Reaching her arm around, Katsura finally plucked her kick me sign from her back. "-I doubt they'd be able to pull even an operation like this off. Don't assume all of them are as competent as Dez here. If I left, they'd be killing eachother in weeks. And besides, there's a little girl even cuter than you that I need to have words with back there." Now that felt better to say.

"So for now, unless you have anything else to tempt me with, I'm going to have to decline"
She eyed her floating cup again. "Though if you do, can I request we do it over drinks?"

That probably wasn't the most suitable thing to say for the mood.

Life. Life.

Drawing Fire Quest:
Little City Regional (Airport)

Elijah Royals

Elijah raised his eyebrows in slight surprise as Rhyme took hold of his hand, but he was not put off by the sudden contact. With his lips curving slightly, the man had a small, internal chuckle at the unexpected action, looking at the person in front of him in amusement. The librarian had this side to him as well, huh?

As they made their way through the crowd of disgruntled civilians, Elijah would soon come to a stop as the person that guided him ceased movement. Feeling the grip on his hand tighten, Elijah shifted his body to get a better look at the person they had been tailing, watching the signs formed by the suspect's hands. Two letters were presented to the pair, each on the receiving end of an unrelenting gaze. Well, that display made it pretty clear that the guy was with PK Fire. That, along with the vulgar words that came out from under his bandana.

The boy's rude greeting seemed to wake Rhyme up from his previous sate, Elijah feeling relief from the iron grip as his teammate transitioned into a comment about his age, followed by a demand for answers. Straight to the point. The words seemed a bit heated, but it was good that the man was regaining some composure.

Rhyme took offense to the boy's insult, but Elijah didn't mind it too much, not really one to be concerned about what others said about him. However, the comment did get his attention, focusing on a different word than his companion. "Hero, huh?"

The recently freed hand reached for the back of his neck, scratching as that word rolled off his tongue, seeming unnatural when it applied to someone like him. "I guess you can see it like that." Taking their duties into account, including the current mission, it was certainly possible to look at people like them as protectors of justice, or something similar. Although, that word just didn't feel right. He couldn't speak for the others at Pwnies, but Elijah couldn't see himself as a person befitting that title. It didn't apply back in Territory 2, and it didn't apply here either.

Elijah didn't know much about heroes, but the rest of the boy's words were easy to understand. He wanted them to go home. Yeah, that sounded pretty good right now. Just leave this Codebreaker business behind and go hop between a few of his favorite bars, maybe even stopping by the library to pick up something new. He'd call it a day and head back to that quiet place in the backstreets he called home, only to log out and return to an even quieter one. In reality, he'd go right back to reading and drinking, taking the time to keep that broken body of his in shape before shutting his eyes and doing it all over again the next day. He'd go back to that peaceful life of nothingness. Yeah, that sounded really nice. But that didn't matter anymore.

He already went over this before. Quitting wasn't really an option for him. If Edge La wanted something, she was going to get it. That's the kind of impression he got from her. After all the trouble she went through to track him and the others down, he felt pretty wanted. Lucky him.

One day, maybe he'd put all that knowledge of his to use and find a way to disappear for good, fall off the grid and live out the life he had been trying to maintain. But for now, he'd work with what he was given and roll with the circumstances that had been forced on him. Just like always. Even if he wanted to quit the guild that conflicted with his goals, it wouldn't be anytime soon. Besides, he still had to pay off all that alcohol he drank at the bar.

"Well, let's settle down for now."
Pocketing his remaining hand, Elijah looked to both friend and foe with an unchanging expression, speaking with a calm voice as he tried to clear any hostility before it could build into something more dangerous. While unperturbed by what had transpired thus far, his usually playful personality had been toned down somewhat. He was well aware of when it was time to get serious. Although, he hadn't completely changed to business-like behavior yet.

There was not an ounce of fear in his body. That lack of concern for his own well-being would never change in this virtual reality, death being of no consequence. However, he understood that Rhyme did not feel the same way, remembering that grip on his hand when the potential terrorist suddenly turned on them. The librarian valued his life. The same could be said for the people in the airport. Even if he wasn't fazed by the threat of death, the people surrounding him may have cherished their existences, no matter how artificial they may be. He wouldn't let his own feelings, or lack thereof, affect others. That would just be rude.

"You guys wanted to talk, right? Can't have a meeting if we're at each other's throats." If PK Fire wanted to kill them, they probably would've attacked already, so it was possible that they really were interested in having a proper meeting with members of Pwnies. Gathering the Codebreakers here just seemed pointless otherwise, since they could've assaulted the airport without risking interference. Although, it was possible that he was completely wrong and those hand signs were really a signal to take them out. At this point, he could see it going either way. It was hard to tell with murderers. They didn't seem to be the rational type.

There was no distinction between how he treated the PK Fire member and any other person, remaining as calm as ever with half-closed eyes. However, that listless gaze kept a close, hidden watch on that backpack. If the boy made any suspicious movements and went for a concealed weapon, Elijah had ways of getting his hands on it, even from a distance. If it was something like a bomb, that would be a bit trickier, but he had an idea forming, even if all the details weren't there yet.

He was no explosives expert, but a bomb in virtual reality wasn't an ordinary explosive. Everything in this world followed the rule of code, acting according to unseen numbers and commands. He'd just have to toy around with that and hope the knowledge he had built up would be sufficient. He was a Trojan, after all. Screwing with stuff was his job.

hosaki hosaki

Little City North Exit:
Case In Point Quest

Lahz Cho

"Hmph."

Lahz rolled her eyes. Foolish kids. He was so ready to talk aloud by the courtyard pool, but now that they were close and alone, he didn't say a word. Moreover, thinking about now, it rubbed on her nerves - that sole noise was pretty rude. Checking him in the rear-view, Lahz wondered if she was this hard to deal with in childhood. Heavens. How annoying she figured to be in puberty. With a dry sigh, she shook her head knowing that this was what her parents had to go through.

I'm so sorry.

The tunes from the radio set a perfect backdrop to the thoughts flowing her mind. After anxiously watching the driver work the device, never taking eyes off the road, it was only when his hand was back on the wheel that Lahz settled down. Slow and surprisingly smooth, the girl hated to admit the track was nice...but it was. With only the low hum of the car, and all quiet and hushed, it was the perfect blend to think to.

'What a whirlwind day,' the note spoke in her mind. Finding out she could do more than just count the numbers that made up her inks, it was nice know she wasn't seeing things. Whether unveiling a new piece of art or walking through the modern-day section of a museum herself, there were always moments she did not believe what the eyes claimed they saw. Special characters, strings of data, funnels of blue that floated in and out of the walls - sometimes from the heads of people themselves. If she never accepted Edge La's flyer, she probably would lived silent with this for the rest of her life. Yet much to her surprise, there was so much more; she was a Codebreaker. A phenomenon affecting a variety of people from all walks of life. Edge La seemed able to control blood to a scary degree and she herself, well, aside from turning skin black and fingernails a powder-blue, the Explorer wasn't exactly sure.

Via Code Academy, the basics were pretty easy to understand, but there were certain nuances she was certain she'd have to figure herself. Like what those machines of Icarus were or, the blinding light he activated in the sky. Yes, the nuances. There were just so many to learn. But Lahz didn't mind. Though not something she was tripping over foot to do, Codebreaking was pretty good money and with the latest fight, she was feeling stronger too. As if she could jump over the moon. Not to mention, she got to meet others in the group. It was pretty cool. Like JinX here and Stein, some she enjoyed, while others like K and Anubis, not so much. Nevertheless, it was something to do. An interesting something to do. The blonde wasn't much for having super-power, but the idea of what she could do now that she did began to excite her. Before, she only cared about her works being known worldwide, but helping others was also a worthy goal no? If she could make someone's life just a little better, then why not?

“Speaking of money, how much do you think a virtual building like that is worth?”

Waking out of the fog and returning focus back to the window, Lahz settled on the castle that sat far off in the distance. Let's see. If an extending pole cost 30 Kirito, then it'd be...it'd be a lot. The Breaker contemplated going through the math to figure it out, but remembered she was an artist - so numbers didn't matter at all. It was either throwing out a random set of numerals or keeping quiet, and not particularly fond of the first, she just kept mum. The eyes of her went back to the mirror, and Explorer cocked one brow at the look Joker gave JinX. Staying for another few seconds, she dropped her gaze to the dash wondering what the heck that was about. Yet in that moment, the jazz continued to play, entering again into her awareness and upon the dip of a curving note, she squinted.

Good grief. He's into her. While two other people are here.

The song'd have had a much better effect if only he and JinX were in the car.

I guess...he couldn't....wait.

Not sure what to think and refusing to look back at them for the rest of the ride, it was a welcome relief when the Trojan spoke back up. It was a good side-talk indeed. She had almost forgotten that after the levels, there was an actual prize to completing the quest: Crusader Adam's Shogun Guard. Surprising. There was still more to get from that crazy scheme. At this point, Lahz didn't even care. Six levels was more than enough. Icarus could have it; she was just happy to be alive. Noting an inhale from the back, Lahz's head tilted back wondering what went on. Or...maybe she didn't.

“I think I found the one we’re looking for.”

Now sitting up, the Explorer was on full alert. Scanning out the grassland, she did see what Jinx saw: a man on the ground with a sign sitting on his stomach in rumbling hands.

"That's him! That's him!! That's the guy! Okay here is good!" She directed, reaching for the handle as the car came to a screeching halt. The first out the door, she slipped over the ground, running at a full sprint, heels driving into the dirt. Flipping Code Academy, Lahz switched costume to closed-toe sandals as to avoid spraining an ankle in the rush. And coming home in a sliding stop, she knelt beside the man, straightening up, asking, "Are you okay??"

To The Rescue
Joe Cool

"Hm...?"

"Help is here," she breathed, sorry about before. "We passed you by a little earlier on the road. I'm so sorry! We were busy...we couldn't stop. I'm back now and have help. Tell me where you're hurt. Do you need help getting up??"

The man, confused, stared at Lahz, looked at the sign in hands, then began to laugh.

"Are you serious..?"

"Huh?"

"HAHA! You actually stopped and came back??"

"...What? Of course."

Tossing the sign aside and reclining up on his own, the man covered his mouth with one free hand while tears streamed down his face.

"Are you dumb?"

Eh?

"Ex..cuse me?" She mouthed, a blank look in her eye.

"You! I asked if you're dumb! You really fell for it??"

"Fell...for...?"

Laughing even harder, the man slapped his head, beaming.

"Fell...for...," he mocked. "OoOoh! But I wanted to help him so bad! He looked so hurt!" He continued.

"I bet that's exactly what you said! Ahaha! You're such a kid."

a...a kid?

"Do you believe everything you see? Oh man! You're not too bright are you? How dumb is that?"

..kuh.

"I bet you help old ladies across the street too! Come on! A guy out in the middle of nowhere?? Offering 500 Kirito?? And you fell for it! Haha. You wanna be a hero something? How old are you?"

...k-kh.

"Grow up idiot. I mean really! So immature! Throw on a cape why don't you? Honestly, I'm beside myself. I don't even reme-"

"GAAAAAH!"

BoOoOoM!!!

Lahz slammed a fist into the ground and the exit's code rippled in an outward sphere.

"I try...I try, SO HARD," she heaved, hand dug into the grass.

"To be a honorable...considerate...good...straightforward person,"
she whined, breaths getting shallow.

"Act like a real adult. RESPECT! I just ask for it in return. But I never get it! This whole day has been a mess! I've been surrounded by children! Rude! Inconsiderate children! I AM NOT in the same category! YET YOU KNOW WHAT!? I'M SICK OF IT! You want me to act like a kid!? You want immature!?" She screamed.

"Alright then, I'll show you immature!!" She yelled, closing her fists.

cooltext254092958883949.png

In a long-anguished howl that echoed with sound, a well of energy exploded from Lahz bowling over the man as a golden light rose in cylinder from where she knelt. Her nails electrified and hands turning black, this time the venom did not stop at her wrists, instead shooting up the broadside of her arms. Shriek getting more intense, the blonde's dress ripped in four as glowing blue lines tore across her form.

cooltext254092958883949.png

Nestled over bare flesh, the black like ink spread from her arms to every stitch of her skin, ending in a glassy, ebony frame. The scorching illumination condensed and shrunk as her hair flew straight up, whirls of energy crackling around it in spades, turning a brighter shade of gold than it had been before. Otherworldly winds in black whipped around her arms to her waist as azure fire spilled from her eyes. The hexes around her core lighting up as she moved,

"Woah, woah! Wait, wait! wait!" The man fumbled. "You don't understand!"

Lahz bared gray teeth,

"This...this..this is not for me! I didn't want to do this!"

Licking her lips as she went.

"PKFire paid me! No! No! I can't die! I'm just doing this to pay them back! Believe me! They helped my mom in real life! Don't kill me, I will tell you everything!!"

"Shut up," the woman spoke, her eyes drowned in high blue.

"YOU DIE. YOU DIE." she continued.

"YOU DIE NOW!"

Older Than You
Super Breaker Lahz
imageedit_27_7504633817.gif

1) JinX and Joker, stand back. This doesn't have anything to do with you. Let Lahz take her anger against the man with the sign.

2) JinX and Joker, he's about ready to spill his guts. Hired by PKFire? But why? Oppose Lahz to make sure he doesn't die!

QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel
GasMaskie GasMaskie

Last edited:
Little City North Exit:
Case In Point Quest

JinX - Jessika Xanders

“Oh, wow~I had no idea we Codebreakers could do something like that. Did you, Joker?”

Icarus’s critical finish was certainly impressive. However, Lahz’s transformation held nothing back in terms of flashy extravagance either. Code Academy app open, JinX added to her current attire, a pair of black shades materializing in front of her eyes just before a golden luminescence hit her vision. It really was quite interesting. JinX wondered if she could do something like that as well—not that she ever imagined herself becoming so…visually grandiose. Blonde hair standing on end, skin inky black, and eyes raging blue fire, it was little wonder the guy with the sign was fumbling for his life.

Hand holding the handle of Joker’s car, JinX had chosen to remain in the safety vehicle while the ground of the virtual exit rippled from Lahz’s anger. Having already suspected a trap, JinX wasn’t particularly surprised by the unveiling of the man’s ruse. She could understand Lahz’s irritation. Being tricked was never fun. And Lahz seemed to have honestly believed the man needed help…despite Edge La confirming that it was most likely a trap. However, the Internet Explorer was going a bit overboard if she intended to kill they guy before squeezing information from him.

Hired by PKfire? Why? What reason could PKfire possibly have for drawing us just short of the Pendeji plains?A simple ambush…or something else..?

Seeing Lahz Cho stalk towards the panicking guy, JinX knew she had to act now.

“Hold up, Missus Cho!”

The backseat door swung opened and white boots stepped out from Joker’s car as JinX strolled towards enraged Internet Explorer and her prey, black skirt fluttering from the residue winds formed when Lahz's fist made contact with virtual earth. The Trojan’s expression was a tranquil, if not friendly, mask even as she called the Suteki Suteki from her inventory. Violet eyes assessed the blue lines on Lahz’s body curiously behind black lenses, before placing a gentle hand on the Internet Explorer’s black shoulder. Not enough force to be aggressive, but firm enough—at least—to keep Lahz from doing what she intended to do.

“He said he’d talk. So let’s hear him talk. I’m sure he has a very good reason for working with PKfire.” JinX shrugged, and continued lightly. “If you don’t like what you hear, you can always kill him afterwards. Better yet, turn him into IWA.” She’d seen the outpost while they were in Joker’s car. “That way you’ll never see him in the Virtual World again. But,right now, finding out what he knows takes priority.”

Theoretically, they’d gain the memories from killing him anyway. Any lies he might spout to save his life wouldn’t matter in that case. Still. There was no guarantee that the memories gained would be the ones they wanted. JinX had never killed anyone before—at least not directly. Edge La was the first. And the memory she got from their guild master were hazy at best. There was no telling if they could even decipher information from whatever data they gained off killing the guy.

“Besides, there’s no need to stoop to PKfire’s level.”

She’s dealt with Pkers before—sold drugs to them. Pretended to be their friend. And the one thing she’d concluded was that they looked like normal people. They didn’t have horns. They weren’t crazy. The only difference between them and non-PKers was their mentality towards death. Was it alright to kill if there were no real consequences in the virtual world? She hadn’t felt that way when she’d been threatened. She hated them. Player Killers.

“We’re CodeBreakers doing a job. Let’s do this right <3

Perhaps even a small part of her even bad for the guy with the sign who was going down the same path she had in her teens. Just a small part though...because she knew how people like her thought. She wondered what Lahz, who had been set on inserting her maturity, would do. If the older woman, in her state of anger, would listen to reason and be able to put aside personal for business. JinX withheld a sigh, keeping her business smile on her face despite her rampant thoughts.

Artists are certainly temperamental.

GasMaskie GasMaskie

Last edited:
Little City North Exit:
Case In Point Quest

Joker

"...I've had experience in transformations like that, yeah." The private investigator followed the young woman out from the car's backseat as the Daemon behind the wheel drove the car a safe distance away and then some as soon as the pair exited the vehicle. And in a swift motion mid-step, the detective slipped on his fedora as he placed himself between his transformed party member and the bait. Given the circumstances and briefing, he had anticipated a trap. And truth be told, the investigator had his own experience with abilities that exceeded the limitations of a classes's ability set. Perhaps I should look into this phenomenon later...

Ripples formed in the very fabric of virtual reality as pixels began to spread and a monstrous shape emerged from behind Joker. Vaguely humanoid and colored somewhat like the 'Super Breaker', the Daemon called Maxwell appeared. And being the considerate creature it was, Maxwell had opted to change out of the disguise after parking the car so as to not damage another set. A being that was meant to fulfill the role that Codebreakers now held. An existence that should no longer exist. That was the amnesiac's partner - someone who was now irreversibly connected to the detective.

Maxwell set its predatory gaze upon the man - while Joker had a distaste for actually killing another, the creature had no such moral compunctions. Where Joker would hesitate to land the coup de grâce, the Daemon would step in and finish the deed if required. There were reasons for this particular behavior, though the specific details for this eluded even VR's greatest detective. Though it stood limp and livid at the moment, Maxwell seemed ready to kill at any moment.

Joker of course kept his steely gaze upon Black Gold. Though JinX had basically said all that he wanted to (perhaps in a less belligerent fashion), he was quite sure that this would end in a fight. Reasoning was the method of men, but that woman seemed little more than a raging beast. He noted that she had brought her new weapon as well - though he wasn't quite sure if approaching her to the point where she could lay a hand on her shoulder was a good idea. A mask, as always. You never fail to disappoint.... those shades don't suit you either. A smirk had crawled onto his face as he watched her begin to work her silver tongue - though it quickly disappeared as he adjusted his gloves and readied himself for a high-powered brawl.

"If you think about running while we're in the middle of some inter-party deliberation, I'll have him eat you alive." Without moving his gaze from the scene unfolding in front of him, he addressed the man. Maxwell bared his square, almost human teeth as it crouched down to his level and stared him down. Joker being Joker, it was clear that this wasn't a bluff. Threats from the private investigator were not to be taken lightly - they were less warnings and more like blood-soaked vows.

QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel

Little City North Exit:
Case In Point Quest

Joe Cool

Swagu.jpg "Oh no.."

Weighing out the consequences of breaking into a full run, Joe Cool contemplated whether this was somebody he could beat. A f*cking Codebreaker! Like those freaks who ran with PKFire Fire. Cool had to be realistic. There was no chance he could. Not especially after seeing that look in her eye. Just what the hell were these people..? So it was with an audible sigh that his throat ceased to constrict, when another one suddenly appeared, placing a hand to the woman's shoulder.

Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. OH my gosh! OH MY GOSH!

Setting onto the visage of the pink-haired one, it was the visage of his literal savior.

They must be friends! Yeah they have to be friends. I hope they're friends,'
he thought, swallowing hard at his savior's pause. Yet...that sword in her hand didn't make the situation any better. Telling by that, things were still going to be as dicey as they'd come. Likely she was preparing to scrap with the blonde. Which was...good news. Heh. Actual good news!

“He said he’d talk."

Yes, yes. That's right I said I would! So you better stay the hell back!!

"So let’s hear him talk. I’m sure he has a very good reason for working with PKfire. If you don’t like what you hear, you can always kill him afterwards. Better yet, turn him into IWA.”

And then the blood in his face drained. Kill him afterward? Turn him into IWA? What..? What...? WHAT!? This wasn't his fault! All he did was a job!! Why? Why did have to be turned to the Feds? Let alone killed?? Unbelievable! Eyeing the newest woman, Joe Cool had a feeling she was just as savage as the first. Maybe not outward and upfront, but kept a cool business-like flow beneath that youthful skin. Codebreakers.

Ygh.

It made him twitch. Dealing with them...it was always unnerving, even for a hit-man. The assassin casually glanced back, thoughts once more returning to breaking and running. If those two duked it out, it'd be the perfect cover to escape. Clearly neither had a problem with him being killed. One preferred after he spoke while the other preferred before. Balking at the tricky demeanor, J. Cool re-affirmed to himself that all Codebreakers were eccentric, dangerous, nuts.

"Well then I'll just take my leave," he stirred, before stopping at first step. Here he noticed there was another. Another person. A boy, smaller, with a fedora over his head.

...?

Too frightened to run at the time, Joe Cool watched the kid, waiting to see what would be the first move. What he glimpsed next almost made him wet his pants. Emerging in a large silhouette behind the boy was another thing colored black and blue like the blonde, but shared nothing else with the lass.

"A...Ah."

The gaze combined with the way it stood still, gave the vibe it'd tear throats out in a second. What the did PKFire get him into? This was turning out to be way out of his league.

"If you think about running while we're in the middle of some inter-party deliberation, I'll have him eat you alive."

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!"

Cool nearly jumped out his skin. Yeah...this was not getting good. Swiveling from the blonde, to the pinkette, to the boy, he had to do something before he ended up arrested, or worse, food.

"I-I'm the one with the information!" He yelled, pointing a finger to the boy. "I make the demands! You need me! I don't need you! SO listen up!"

Keeping eyes away from the thing that had him in its sight, Joe Cool continued on. "You two," he motioned to Joker and JinX.

"Fat chance I'm going to leave my safety in your hands. You do this on my terms, Codebreakers. You keep that psychopath away from me while I log off. After that's done, and only after that's done, I will send you a message with the information you want. About what PKFire had me do. You got that!?"
He emphasized, nudging his chin to the Daemon.

"Kapeesh?!"

Illumination
Super Breaker Lahz

Tilting her head, Lahz stared at the hand resting on her shoulder. It belonged to JinX. Locking to her partner's mouth, it took Cho all she had not to punch her out. This energy. This Nerve and Vitality - it was hard to control. It was begging to be unleashed. Begging to wielded. Begging to be thrown. That golden aura soaring, natural instincts fought against the anger boiling in her soul. What JinX said almost didn't make sense. To wait before killing. To wait before taking someone's life. To listen. That notion...that notion was foreign. Yet...some small space in her head knew it was right. Somehow.

...k-k-kuh!

“Besides, there’s no need to stoop to PKfire’s level. We’re CodeBreakers doing a job. Let’s do this right <3"

...k-k-k-KUH!

With the arrival of Joker and his command to the man to stay put, it did help starve some of the fire. Under a more normal circumstance, she would have been surprised to find out Maxwell was a pet, but at this moment, it barely registered.

"WAIT...? FINE!" She barked, keeping from jumping off the edge, at least for now. "But there will be NO turning him to IWA. When he's done talking, you leave him to ME! Or else," she spoke slowly, fully turning to the pinkette.

"I'll just have to take my anger out on you."

Removing JinX's hand, Lahz dropped straight to the floor, hair flowing, helixes glowing, knee as a base for the bottom of her chin, eyes transfixed on the man with the sign. From here on she said nothing else. Looked at nothing else. The only response to show she was alive, was when the man proceeded to make his own demand. Be allowed to log off. At that her aura churned high, but lips remained mum.
That was not going to go over well.
Deal or No Deal
Game Break!
1) JinX and Joker, accept the offer. Let him go. You will take Lahz where she wants to go.

2) JinX and Joker, decline the offer. Turn and let this go. It's just not worth getting involved.
GasMaskie GasMaskie
QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel

Last edited:
Little City Regional Airport:
Drawing Fire

Dez
Shortly after Dez said something the group dispersed to follow after their targets. Katsura was quick to tail the girl. Dez struggled a bit though to keep up. The girl they were following seemed to slither easily around the crowd, Katsura maneuvering just as easily. As for Dez well he didn't know if it was because he wasn't as flexible or cause he was a guy, but he had to nudge some arms away and mutter in a few apologies as he made his way through. His eyes were focused on Katsura and the girl for the most part, feeling a slight blush shading the tips of his ears and cheeks each time the girl made eye contact with him.

Finally the chase ended. Although Dez was quite winded from all the shoving he had to do. He looked towards the girl and saw her giving a low bow to them for the "show" she led them through. But then her hands formed into the letters of P-K. So undeniably this gal was working with the group they were to contact. What the signals meant, Dez did not know, but his eyes looked around their surroundings to see if perhaps she was signalling to others or preparing a trap.

Then she began to speak, although the conversation was clearly directed towards Katsura. Dez' eyes watched the floating cup momentarily, distracted by the anomaly of it and that the words leaving the girl's mouth didn't necessarily call to his attention. Towards the end of her remarks, she directed a question to Dez. More than likely a rhetorical question, so Dez kept quiet. Although her last sentence stuck with him for a bit. Quit Pwines?

But his attention was brought back to Katsura once he heard what she was saying at first. For a moment he believed the woman's words in agreeing to the deal but then her intentions were clearly stated in her following statements. There was even a compliment amidst her words which caused Dez to blush a little. If Katsura knew what happened to my last mission she wouldn't be calling me competent. The young Codebreaker stood there, not really sure what to do in the current situation and unconsciously his hand moved down to his pocket to feel the phone he had. The reason why he took up this mission. They have found PK Fire. Hopefully this was a step towards Dez's goal of finding answers to the many questions his brother has left behind.

The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit

Little City North Exit:
Case In Point Quest

JinX

Sharing a glance with Joker, JinX let out a soft sigh, her gaze dropping to Lahz who was seated on the floor before returning to the fool of a boy who was trying to bargain with them—and the monstrous Maxwell beside him. Ok, not foolish. Cautious. But still, did he think he could get away just by logging off? Did he not see the Internet Explorer’s growing temper? He might have been better off going on with his sob story while he’d been given the chance. Give her a reason to calm down. Even an apology would do. Instead Joe Cool only served to aggravate the situation by making demands.

“Yeah. Uh-huh. I’m a Codebreaker ,”
JinX said calmly as she opened up her Code Academy and began distributing the remainder of her stat points. “I could make you talk without lifting a finger.”

Not that she’d ever tried before. Only a couple of quests since joining Pwnies and JinX was already feeling stronger. More capable. Enough to hold off Lahz at least. Certainly enough to make Joe Cool spill his guts then wipe his memories as soon as he was done. She let the threat hang in the air for a moment before closing the app, her expression friendly. The words that followed were probably words the Internet Explorer did not want to hear.

“But, alright. We’ll hold you to your promise~” Flipping her hair with the back of her palm, the hand found its way to her hip soon after. “FYI, girls don’t like being lied to. I’m sure your mother’s taught you that at least. If we don’t receive a message from you as soon as you log off, the next time we meet online, Joe Cool, I’ll hold nothing back. We want to know everything. Why you were helping PKfire. What you know of their plans. Pwnies isn’t that easy of a guild to play for fools. If you continue to assist a group of terrorists like PKfire, it’s not our responsibility what happens to you afterwards. Right, Joker? Missus Cho?”

Turning to face the Internet Explorer, JinX gripped the handle of the Suteki Suteki in both hands. Leaving Joe Cool to Lahz was no longer an option. Not if she wanted to know what Joe knew. To be honest, the temptation to turn around and VR Force the guy was strong. It wasn’t JinX’s nature to trust easily. If she succeeded, he’d never even see her coming. Tch. Perhaps Joker and his damn honesty was getting to her. She would give Joe a chance. Not for him. For herself. And probably for Lahz as well. Whether Joe was a PKer or not was still unknown….and she guessed, from his fear of death, he’d never experienced it before. Probably.

“Don’t let him get to you, Missus Cho.” JinX cajoled. “The quest is done. There’s no one to save. Edge La will pay us as soon as she returns. We’ll get our info as soon as Cool logs off. Just…let it go. Why are you so angry anyway?”

Judging from the spiking aura of gold, Lahz would be much more difficult to handle than Joe Cool. Why was she doing this again? Oh, yeah. Right thing. Damn. At least her parents would be proud…not that she’d tell them.

GasMaskie GasMaskie

Last edited:
Drawing Fire

Kid Brahhh
"I'll have you know that I'm older than you."

Right.

Well. Brah was already lost - watching airportgoers walk the floor, staring at him in quiet disdain as he did the same. The chumps. That wuss from Pwnies and the world along with him. Honestly, it was easy becoming a Codebreaker. One that didn't necessarily follow the "law". A breaker that player-killed. Society was stupid and the people sulking under it, dumber still. Some took their happiness and joy shopping. Others lived through 'things'; put their status on what they could buy. Taking what you're given, staying in your lane and smiling while you suffered inside seemed to be the modus operandi.

Tch. Like hell. I'd rather die.

These were the tenants the world lived by.

Look happy.

Put on a smile.

Play nice.

Don't cause trouble.

Don't stand out.

We're all equal.

We're all friends.

If we're all the same, we are strong

Kid Brah wanted to gag. Weak. So weak. As if he was going to follow these sheep. Narrowing his eyes at two girls posing with duck lips in front of a camera, by the 4th click, he was ashamed to see them exist. Simpletons. A film of weak-willed, needy, grandiose, immature, complacent, insecure, jokes gifted with a life they did not deserve. The f*ck was the point of it all if you only did dumb sh*t like that? It was a waste of brain. A waste of space. A waste of air. A waste of conscious.

Just vaguely aware of Rhyme not speaking anymore, Kid Brah turned his attention back to the pair from Pwnies, missing the majority of what was said, but not needing to hear to give his response.

"Yo. Shut up old man. I don't take sh*t from you. Anyone for that matter. So you sit your ass down and I'll give the questions. I'll do the talking."

No hesitation, he met the eyes of the Loading, full and aware he was going to do nothing. That's how these dummies were. Stuck to the script.

"Be a good little chicken. Look happy, put on a smile, and play nice. You don't want to cause any trouble. Heh."

"Well, let's settle down for now."

Sight shifting over to Royal, after a moment of study, the boy took him to be a bit more spineful than the lanky lard that grabbed his hand before. Had a heavy air about him.

"Hmph."

What he said was true too. There was no need to get himself worked up over what should be so simple. So in a short reset, pulling his bandanna an inch higher over his nose, Kid Brah went ahead and spoke. Of what he was there for and what was to come.

"It's simple really man. Like I said before: you pissed some people off. You're messing with things way over your head and you better back out before you get hurt. I don't think I was clear when I told you the first time, so I'll say it again. A little more direct. Don't mess with PKFire. Don't mess with our stuff. We run this city, the floor, and all of them above. We have seen you. We have watched what you're doing and we don't like it. This will be your only warning. There are two options. You either get out of the Codebreaking business or you take your talents and work for us. Do anything else and you will be destroyed. Is that clear enough?"

P-K!
Lil Pumpernickel
Smirking, the Codebreaker was quite impressed with the woman before her. Looking at it in a certain light, you could even say...smitten. Those words she said! Bringing a serial killer to justice! Wow! There were still people in the world like that?? Lol. A Goody-two-shoes. A modern-day superhero. Which...considering codebreaking powers, was not too far from the truth. Hmf. It was a shame for Gay Lord. It had been such a blast watching him run around, but alas! All good things must come to an end! An end to be replaced by other good things of a more different...flavor.

'You sound like a policeman' she mused, taking a small sip from her cup of juice. Grinning a perfect smile to the female courageous enough to stand before her, the pupils of Pumpernickel twinkled. This K. She was so defiant. So headstrong. So unafraid to speak her mind. Yet, best of all: righteous. Least as righteous as an average person could get. Contemplating Katsura a while longer, the PKer kept on sipping her juice. Savoring both the texture on her tongue and the words on her ears, she had been drinking this recipe non-stop for months, but this was the first time ever its taste held so strong.

'Must be the new ingredient,' she thought, finally removing her mouth from the cup. 'Satellizer.'

"Lil Pumpernickel. My name is Pumpernickel," the girl introduced, tucking down a loose spray of hair.

"K, K, K, K, K, K, K" came the voice, rolling soft on her tongue. "Hm. I've decided! I will send you the address anyway," she nodded, opening up Code Academy and typing in the string of name. However, quickly erasing the text, she instead flipped through the sidebars and put in a one-letter name.

Friend Request: Lil Pumpernickel You have a received a friend request from Lil Pumpernickel. Accept?

And without looking up, the girl returned the message, beginning to type what she had before. Hitting send with a flourish, it was followed by more schlooping from her cup.

You Have Received A Private Message From Lil Pumpernickel Roderick Bradden. 55 Crockford St, Port Melbourne, VIC 3207. Welcome, K.

Closing the interface, Lil Pumpernickel regarded Dez as she shrugged both shoulders to the question asked.

"I wouldn't exactly say friends, but we get along well enough. We have one thing in common at the very least. We don't want that sh*t everybody else is drinking. Being humble's not as important as being aware. That's a fact of life I want to share. That's how you get robbed. Not only of your possessions, but your dreams and rights too."

Letting the idea hang to see how K would react, it was time to start gauging her interest. Swallowing another big gulp, the woman's partner was a total pushover, that was easy to tell, but K here, Pumpernickel had grown fond of. She had no problem murdering the boy by her side, but the Satellizer...she seemed like she could make a good friend.

"As for whether we could do this over drinks, under normal circumstances I wouldn't mind. Unfortunately, I'm here on business. Though...us talking is related. I want you to reconsider, K. I don't come across many people I like. Yet, I like you. You intrigue me. I don't know about your partner over there, but you I think would make perfect material for PKFire. And despite what you see on T.V. or hear on the news, we're not all that bad. We certainly don't go around blowing holes in shopping centers," she snickered.

"Even if it is within our power to do so. As a matter of fact, I'm a Satellizer just like you,
" spoke the girl.

"I feel we could make a great team. I can't say whether our roster is more eclectic than Pwnies, but we are powerful and answer to nobody but ourselves. We are very rich and can pay well for anything you do on our behalf. Rare items. Safety outside cities? Blocking IP so the government can't track you down. You'll live a good life being with us K. The majority of PKFire stick to the outskirts, but a few of us live complete, regular lives. Wouldn't be able to tell them from a random person off the street. And trust me K, if you want to have fun baby-sitting, I alone can be more than enough, haha. I want you in PKFire. I will vouch for you. Get you all the best things money can buy. It's so easy getting ahead in this dumb world. To pull the wool over these peoples' eyes. You just have to be shown how. You could be so much more with us by your side. We will teach you how to get and take what's yours. After all. Only the smart survive. Which in my opinion, I feel is how it should be."

Mouth now matching where she looked, Pumpernickel spoke to Dez in gentle smiles.

"Hey, hey! Whatcha doing as a Codebreaker kid, I wonder? If you ask me, you don't seem the type for it. A little too dainty in my mind. Weak, sort of. I'm in a group called PKFire and we kill people like you. But only if they get in our way. Which means if you continue staying in that guild of yours...eventually we're going to have to come kill you too. You don't want that no? I don't either. Dying is no fun and I'd rather not send someone like yourself to the grave, cutie. Say. When we're done here, tell Edge La you're going to go back to being a regular kid okay? I bet you've got lots of homework and studying to do. Grow up and make something nice of yourself. Just forget and leave all this Codebreaking business behind. Take my advice. It's for the best."

hosaki hosaki
Lucem Lucem
Life. Life.

Last edited:
Little City North Exit:
Case In Point Quest

Joe Cool

Not moving one inch, Joe Cool followed JinX with his eyes, tensing as she said she could make him talk without lifting a finger. Yet after a brief, nerve-wracking pause, came the words he wanted to hear. He was going to be let go. Hallelujah!

"Er! Yes, yes, my mom did teach me," Cool stumbled, ecstatic he'd be getting away with his life. Understanding the real threat of JinX, Joe Cool stepped away ginger from Maxwell, sight to the floor all the way through.

"Yes. You got it lady. I Joe Cool, understand. I will not go back on my word. Thank you so much. As soon as I'm off, the message will be sent."

Sheepishly standing and not sure what else to do, the man coughed, looked to Joker, then logged off.

"Pleasure, detective. Sayonara. Wild beast. Nice meeting you too."

And just as his presence disappeared, another's rose up.

This Anger Burns

Super Breaker Lahz

Unbelieving, Lahz closed her eyes as she sat on the ground, letting the void grow within her mind. They had done it. They had really done it. Even after she asked for the opportunity to kill him outright, made clear that this Joe Cool was hers...they let him go. The rug was pulled out from under her. They stood up and spit in her face.

U-u-u-u-u-u...

The flame. It wasn't something she could just control. The anger burned. And it burned. And it burned. Ran through her back and throughout her hands like chained molten lava. Trying to jam it down, the Explorer realized it came from something way below. Way below, deep down and at her core. An issue that was unaddressed. Beginning to shake, Lahz held half her face with a hand as the other saw JinX with fury pure. Going to open lip and ask why she let him go - why she let him go despite the protests, the Trojan's hands moving around the Suteki Suteki, damn near broke her apart.

And the aura of Lahz rose.

And rose.

And rose.

And rose.

"You...You..." she stammered, pulling down hard on a tuft of hair. "You were respectful. I thought you were different. I thought you were my friend!" She reamed, rising up to full height. Teeth bared, Lahz thrust a finger toward JinX, her face in cold rage.

"You! This is what you wanted all along! You wanted to fight!?That's how it is, JinX?! I TRUSTED YOU and this is how you turn out!? You turn around and let him go?? You think you know better than me!? You think you know what's good for me!? I WANTED HIM DEAD! Don't act like you're the leader of this group! Don't act like you know the best thing to do! You think you're grown up!?? YOU'RE JUST A DUMB KID!!" She shouted, cracks forming in the ground.

"I liked you," she stopped, the anger fading for a just moment, but eyes snapping back to the Suteki Suteki, Lahz said, "You're a FAKE! You were planning to do this all along! I bet you hate me! Just like K! Just like K, you want to take me down! In front of everyone! AND YOU," she grew frustrated turning to Joker.

"You're in on this TOO! You hang around JinX. You give me dirty looks too,"
the fighter slowed, voice getting low. Dual fists clenched, larger pieces of clod now rose into the air, spinning ever slight on the ascent.

"None of you are my friends. I just had my mom. My sister. My dad. And I killed him. Ruined everything. Because I was a child. Because I was like one you stupid brats. I wish I could take it back. WHAT CAN'T I TAKE IT BACK? WHY??"

Grief shot up her spine. Water black like tainted fluid balled down one cheek and as it did, the aura completely disappeared. For a long time Lahz stood as the clods, once rising, fell back to the ground.

Soundlessly she began to walk forward, up to the trio of JinX, Joker, and Maxwell.

"It's obvious I'm in this thing on my own," the Explorer said cool and controlled, walking past the pair plus beast.

"Tell Edge La I'm taking a hiatus. It's clear I have some problems to work out, AND NONE OF YOU IDIOTS ARE GOING TO BE OF ANY HELP!! The next time I see K, I'm going to mess her up. You children. I don't want you in my sight. Do not come near me," she finished, walking off toward the mountains that led to the Pendeji Plains.

"I hate you so much."

Fighting to keep her body from turning around as she left, a small blue orb of light grew in a hand only to be squashed as it clamped shut. Black steps hesitated, then after a moment, continued off into the wild.

JinX. Joker. You Have Received A Private Message From Joe Cool Like I would snitch on an organization full of player killers. You're not that bright are you? Case In Point.

QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel
GasMaskie GasMaskie

Last edited:
Little City North Exit:
Case In Point Quest

Joker

Perhaps, to his credit, the young man seemed to have handled the sudden developments well. Even when he read through that taunting message, his usual dour expression and natural glare remained as still as a statue. But, he wasn't without tells. No person was. If one were to look closely at the private investigator, they'd notice that his hands trembled ever so slightly. As Maxwell retreated towards the car, Joker closed a holographic display in front of him.

The Pendeji Plains remained silent for that moment - a calm after a storm that left the two Codebreakers battered and bruised. For once, he had kept his gaze off the woman - he was too wrapped up in his work. With that frantic work done, he brought his attention back to her. A slight adjustment of his gloves and the cheap suit's collar preceded the private investigator's words.

"Were I in your shoes and well-aware of what would have happened, I would have picked that same choice JinX. As for her, I suppose that there's just no saving her - she's well and fully intent on descending down those depths of depravity. To become a murderer. You can't help someone that refuses aid after all." He paused to retrieve a carton from the inner confines of his jacket. And opening it up, he pulled out another blue lollipop from the rather suspect package. As he popped it into his mouth, he watched as the luxury roadster pulled up slowly near them.

"If anything, I'm more worried with our paycheck for driving all the way out here to clear an obvious false alarm... Ah, perhaps you're still enraged by that deception - the truth always comes out on top." A smirk graced his face now as he flicked another window open. From its borders, it was clear that it wasn't connected to the Code Academy App. Rather, it looked almost improvised and utilitarian. The sort of thing you'd see some black-hat cracker use.

"...Hmm. So his name was Joe Cool was it? I don't see what's particularly cool about performing a proper log-off procedure - I expected a professional hitman to be more cautious than that. Or perhaps he's simply playing at that role. Imagine if you would, the perpetrator touching everything at the scene of a crime and leaving behind a confession - that's the equivalent to Mr. Cool's actions. Or rather... Mr. Abdulahi. At least, based on a few seconds of tracing his IP Address. Hm, I'll double check that later." With a nonchalant flick of the wrist, the young man turned the contents of the screen towards JinX. Those contents being a semi-tidy arrangement of information. Biometric data extrapolated from his avatar. A snippet of the area's system log that indicated his IP Address and time of disconnection. Audio files of the words he spoke. Then, once he had closed the virtual dossier, he opened a car door and slid into one of the rear seats.

"It's fortunate that my reputation hasn't reached the lower floors - perhaps then he would have been more cautious. But as it is, he's now on my shit list. I suppose I could have done the same for you at any time - but that's just too dull. Too easy. Now then, shall we be off? I hardly think gambling would be a good use of our time - and I suppose that I have some business with the IWA now that this case has gone belly-up."

QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel

Kastura "K" Kagenetsu, Little City Regional Airport (Territory 6 - Drawing Fire)
"You're half right."

Pumpernickel. So this was what PKFire was like. If she was any indication, then they certainly seemed to be a more amiable group than the Pwnies. Even if she wasn't, the girl was... Sort of friendly enough to make up for even the Pwnie's brightest stars. But still.

She wasn't a fan of what she was saying.

"I can't say you're wrong about not wanting what anyone else is drinking, but unfortunately, what you're brewing is included. Getting ahead, I mean? I'll pass. Why would I even want to get ahead in this, in your own words, 'dumb world'? Come on Pumperknickle. You seem smarter than that." She sighed. It was like she was talking to herself, with how right the girl thought she was. She couldn't even say with certainty she was wrong. The temptation had certainly always been there. To give up. Give in and cut someone a bad deal. Start cutting people down for her own benefit. To say 'fuck it all' and start living in decadence.

"I like my drinks bitter. What can I say?" Despite her words, as Pumpernickel's request hovered in her display, she still tapped yes. "I'm not one to close doors, though. I can't exactly say I trust my current employer, so one day I may be crazy enough to contact you yet. I certainly appreciate the address if nothing else. I'll make sure to make good on my offer once all the dust settles~" Was she flirting with a potential murderer? She wasn't even a lesbian. "But for now, I'm going to have to ask you to pack up and leave. I'd much rather not be chatting about a bombing the next time we meet."

Life. Life.

A Concerned Citizen
Territory Six: Little City Regional Airport - Drawing Fire

As the warm, dark liquid trickled down his throat, the man in the suit strode along the corridors of the terminal. His movements were smooth and calculated, not betraying the mild excitement which stirred in his mind. After all, it had been a while since he last had the opportunity to work on ‘the front lines’, so to speak. This seldom caused him any grief mind you, as in truth he preferred managing his business from a distance- it was there that one could stand back and look objectively over the larger picture. But to become completely remote from the grittier, labour intensive components of the industry was equally a mistake; to be out-of touch with one’s work was synonymous with ignorance. So the stranger had few qualms about personally overseeing this operation. For all he knew, it might even be enjoyable.

Setting aside the thought on that note, he glanced at the series of panels on the side of his HUD, watching with interest as the Codebreakers were confronted by their supposed quarry. Of course, the video would prove considerably more informative if he could fully listen in on their conversations, but it was something to improve upon the next time around. Satisfied for the time being, his eyes returned to the hallways, scanning the mosaic of faces before him. Now and again the tinny voice would offer a morsel of intel: persons of interest who might prove either beneficial or disruptive to their work down the line, but he simply nodded passively at the comments, quietly storing it away for another time. The tedium was broken however when the voice in his ear grew sharp and harping, directing his attention to a spindly man who was meandering several meters away with the flow of traffic.

The suited figure gradually increased his pace to a brisk walk, only breaking his gaze to note the gates which he was passing. Through the stream of bodies circulating the airport, he could just spy the two Codebreakers and the associate whom they were speaking with. As vexing as that deviant could be at times, the one who called themselves Lil’ Pumpernickel was, if nothing else, an accomplished performer. The woman and teenage boy, not to mention the numerous passersby, appeared thoroughly mesmerized by her… passionate declarations. A bit grandiose for his tastes, in all honesty, but he would refrain from vocalizing his critiques so long as the job was completed without incident. Turning to face the younger PKFire member, he raised his hand to offer a brief wave of acknowledgement as he continued along his way, gaining steam on the walking beanstalk.

After going by a dozen or so gates, the man caught sight of his marker amidst the human swarm: an arrow pointing towards the neighbouring terminal. Refusing to be further hindered, he charged forth through the dense mass of passengers and staff which surrounded him, consequentially bumping into the plodding fellow who had been in front of him all the while. Swiftly turning to face the young man, there was nothing apologetic in the tone of his voice. “Pardon me.” He stated tersely, pale orbs dissecting the long-faced individual whose visage contorted to one of surprise in response to the sudden jostling. And without further ado the moment passed, the suited figure breaking through the final barrier of bodies to push onwards to the somewhat more tranquil walkway, all the while tugging his briefcase as a perpetual ball-and-chain.

Sighing in quiet relief at the return of his personal space, once more the paper cup was raised to dry lips, the few remaining drops tumbling out to quench a long-forgotten thirst. Upon finding its contents drained, he disposed of the now obsolete vessel at the nearest waste bin as he listened in on the update. “It looks as though the bandanna man has cooled his jets- it should be fine to let him continue uninterrupted.” it informed him, yet did little to appease the displeasure which welled up in him. Of the ruffians who had been tasked with participating in this mission, the hot-headed punk had proven to be an especially irritating thorn in his side. Brash, temperamental, not to mention unnecessarily crude… no, he couldn’t let that stand. He refused to sit by idly as that undisciplined hooligan stood to represent the organization which he himself was a part of. “Fine is inadequate. Just keep me updated on the other developing situations.”

He didn’t need the electronic voice in his ear to inform him of his proximity: he could hear even at this distance the child’s weak threats. “…your talents and work for us. Do anything else and you will be destroyed. Is that clear enough?” Ugh, it was enough to make him cringe internally. Perhaps there were circumstances where such loutish behaviour was necessary, but this was hardly one of them, and in situations such as these, the first meeting often dictated the tone of future interactions. A small part was admittedly his own fault truth be told, in agreeing that his cohorts could verbally confront their targets. It was an error he would swiftly rectify.

As he approached the bandanna wearing lackey and the two men whom he addressed, the man cleared his throat to catch the henchman’s attention. “Kid, I see that you were able to meet up with our contacts. You have my thanks.” He intoned evenly, flashing a smirk to the petulant child before directing his attention to the two men before him. The twig-like man’s expression had lost its previous sereneness as a slight flush coloured his cheeks: clearly something had been said during the previous exchange which rattled him. It was without question that Kid Brah’s demeanour was off-putting even to the most level-headed individual, but that he reacted so to the boy’s words implied there was perhaps a trace of a spine in the Pwnies’ back. For now, the results would be deemed inconclusive. His partner-in-crime though was another matter. In contrast to the stick beside him, the older man exuded confidence without being arrogant, even-keeled in his mannerisms and appearing unfazed by his aggressor’s boorish remarks. There was an air of professionalism about him… or maybe it was simply indifference to the situation before him. Either way, this was hopefully someone whom he could at least have a civil discussion with.

“My associate here is a talented fellow, but I’m afraid eloquence is a skill he has yet to master. Please excuse the crassness of his words.” He said while offering a thin smile to the pair as he came to a stop a few feet away, releasing his grip on the briefcase to free up his hands. “Allow me to introduce myself: my name, or username rather, is Basalte. I am here on behalf of our organization, PKFire- you could say we’re a group of concerned citizens. We understand that you all are working to help make our city a better place. There aren’t many people who have the initiative to take such matters into their own hands, and that ambition is truly admirable. Based on recent events however, it seems as though you’re taking a lot more onto your plates. Some of which may lead to particularly dangerous roads. And while we respect your good intentions, this ‘Codebreaking’ business is quite new to you all, if I understand correctly, and it wouldn’t do to overextend yourselves when you’re still learning the ropes.”

Basalte paused a moment, allowing the pair to take in what he had said thus far before continuing to address them. “So we wanted to take this opportunity to formally make ourselves known, as well as to give you the chance to ask any questions you might have. If you so choose to continue down this path, we want to ensure that you do so being fully aware of what that may entail. But before we begin, permit me to ask a question of my own: to whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with?” the man concluded, taking the opportunity to once more smooth the faint wrinkles from his jacket as he waited to see how the men would respond.

hosaki hosaki
Lucem Lucem

Last edited:
Little City North Exit:
Case In Point Quest

JinX - Jessika Xanders

Watching Lahz walk away, JinX had to admit, she was mildly impressed that the blonde Codebreaker had not given in to her violent impulses. She had expect the woman to lash out—to take her anger out on JinX like she said she would—if she didn’t get her way. Instead, Lahz simply yelled at her, screamed some false accusations, then stalked towards the plains. The Trojan might’ve responded, but there was nothing to say. Some of it was true. Not the hate part, of course.

Jinx’s gaze dropped to the weapon she held. But it was true that she was a faker. She didn’t trust Lahz. They weren’t really friends. They barely knew each other. She tried to be the the Internet Explorer’s friend…but the woman’s general haughtiness was hard to like. Then Lahz went batshit crazy and the quest spiraled. It became less about getting information from Cool and more about making sure the Internet Explorer didn’t resort to murder. Killing was one thing, but there had to be a good reason for it, otherwise it was plain virtual homicide . Wanting Joe Cool dead because she was angry? Because he laughed at her? Because she wanted it? That was the mentality of Player Killers…and JinX wanted nothing to do with it. She had no desire to return to those days. Not for Lahz. Not for anyone she met online.

There had been a niggling of guilt when Lahz told her she liked her, but that had been shoved aside by the pure anger in the Internet Explorer’s eyes. Hatred wasn’t unfamiliar to her. It wouldn’t be the first time she’s betrayed someone.

Or been betrayed.

Scanning the contents of Joe Cool’s message, JinX rolled her eyes. She’d half expected it. She’d been outplayed by the boy. That irked her. But, at least now, she’d have no moral compunctions the next time they meet. She’d given him his chance to do good. That was what counted. If that was how he wanted to play, fine by her. The game was on.

Joker’s words drew JinX out of her thoughts and a smile flitted across her face. The detective was more thoughtful than she’d given him credit for. Eyes flickered to the roadster that pulled up beside them. Efficient too. Though, she had no idea why he was constantly putting candy in his mouth. That was like his…third?...one since she’d met him? She doubted it was nicotine pop. Sweet tooth, perhaps? Something to soothe his sugar craving?

A cough to hide her snicker, JinX let Joker talk as she observed the screen he produced interestedly. Detectives were certainly impressive. Regardless of how annoying he’d been at the beginning, JinX decided she was glad to have met Joker. He was clever. More than that, he knew her as a liar so talking to him was…easier? At the very least, she was certain he wouldn’t go bombtastic on her when masks were unveiled.

In fact, he’s probably the type to stand there silently smug, with a expression that says ‘I knew it all along’.

Settling in the back seat next to the Detective, JinX began to craft her message as the car went into motion. “Reputation?” JinX asked idly as her fingers typed. “So you’ve got a rep of being nosy on other floors as well~?”

The revelation that Joe was using a username meant he was likely either a CodeBreaker or a Player Killer. Possibly both, though his aversion to CodeBreakers did make it unlikely for him to be the former…and yet…the separation between Player Killer and CodeBreaker seemed like a very thin line…

“I’m not really hiding my real name. I just don’t feel the need to tell it to anyone, let alone strangers. I like to keep the me in the virtual world separate from the me in real life if that makes any sense. Remind myself that the things I can do in the virtual as a CodeBreaker, don’t apply to the me in reality.” Including killing. “ Besides, IWA and Edge La found me pretty easily…” Sighing, JinX stopped to glance at Joker, her expression amused. “I’m surprised you still want to work after all that.” Then again, Joker hadn’t been at the brunt of Lahz’s hatred. And Business Official did seem to be an easy enough quest. Just see what IWA wanted…JinX shrugged. “If you’ve got some business with IWA, then I won’t stop you, but do you mind dropping me off at Casino Arrowhead first? I just want to have fun and enjoy the rest of the night before logging off. I’ll leave hunting Abdulahi to you as well, Mr. Detective~” All that tech stuff was outside the range of her current capabilities. “If you need a Trojan’s abilities, just give me quick message. I’ll be there."

Flipping the translucent screen, JinX showed Joker the private message she sent to Edge La. “What we get paid depends on what we tell our boss. It wasn’t like she gave us specific instructions on how much info she wanted.”

Private Message from JinX to Edge La
Hey La~

While you were dead, Joker, Black Gold, and I decided to take on the Case In Point Quest. As suspected, it was a trap. The man in question is a user by the name of Joe Cool. Turns out he was a hit man hired by PKfire. Joe was a bit too skittish to stick around after seeing our strength and logged off before he could be interrogated. Though, further investigations revealed that his real name is Abdullah Abdulahi. Feel free to dig more into it if you’re curious.

Oh, and Black Gold decided to take a hiatus from the guild to deal with some personal problems. I suspect she’ll need some serious help, though she refuses any from us.

“I can’t say whether or not Lahz will descend down the down the depths of depravity,” Violet eyes glimmered in amusement a Joker’s choice of words. “But you’re right. I doubt I she’ll accept any help from me now. After all, I did tell her she could kill Joe afterwards, then turned around and let the guy leave. It was betrayal in a sense. I had no intention of letting Lahz kill Joe. Not in her state.” Elbow against the car’s window sill, JinX’s chin rested on her knuckles as she gazed outside. “Did you see her visible struggle to contain herself? There’s something seriously wrong with the woman. I wonder if the system is unable to read strong emotions and translates that to violence…or something else.” Shaking her head, JinX looked at Joker. “Whichever the case, I want to reward myself for not giving into temptation.”

Even if it's a small victory. Good and truth always coming out on top? That was bull. It was just that JinX hadn’t want to give up on her morals at that moment. Regardless of how she worked, she did have them—which was she’d betrayed that company in the end. They hadn’t known her true allegiance.

GasMaskie GasMaskie

Last edited:
Drawing Fire

Edge La
Suddenly, ruckus broke out over the landing strip and alarms blared. Blings popped from the menus of Codebreakers as loud internal *dongs* went off.

"Edge La to Codebreakers. Sorry to interrupt! But if you haven't heard already - I've got some news."

And then a pause.

"Did you miss me?"

hosaki hosaki
Lucem Lucem
Life. Life.
clarinetti clarinetti
Life. Life.

Drawing Fire

Lynn Hong
Rhyme

“If you so choose to continue down this path, we want to ensure that you do so being fully aware of what that may entail.” What did it entail, besides protecting the public? Lynn inspected the well-dressed man, Basalte as he called himself, with wary eyes. He and the teenager were associates? The two were worlds apart in every sense -- age, maturity, temperament, even status, judging from their differences in attire.

In the end, who was PKFire? What was their goal? And if what the boy said was true, that PKFire controlled all of Floor 1, was this whole airport ordeal a ruse for something else?

Lynn debated whether it would be prudent to reveal anything, let alone his username, to these people who had succeeded in so thoroughly evading the long arm of the law. But Basalte's casual (if polite) indifference suggested that perhaps his answer didn't really matter in the end. Beneath the harsh terminal lights, Lynn felt his body break into a cold sweat.

"I-"

Suddenly, alarms blared, throwing the airport into utter chaos. Unlike many others who gawked and milled about in search of some source or explanation, Lynn blanched. At once accusatory and fearful, he stared wide-eyed at Kid.

"W-was this your doing?" Contrary to intention, his words came out hoarse.

Perhaps the universe took some pity on him, naive fool that he was, because the only other person who could possibly give him an answer at the moment saw fit to check in.

At hearing their guild leader's voice, Lynn immediately felt a rush of relief -- not enough to quell his panic entirely, but enough to restore him to a semblance of composure.

"Miss Edge La! Th-there might be a situation at the airport-" But did she say there was news? "Uh, news. What news?"

clarinetti clarinetti
Lucem Lucem

Drawing Fire

Dez
Clearly from the direction and tone of the girl, who introduced herself as Pumpernickel, she was more interested in talking to K. This slightly bothered Dez since it was clear that she saw him as someone not worthy of interest. She especially made it clear with her words when comparing the two Pwnies in front of her. The boy could feel his teeth and fists clenching together in frustration. But it wasn't until Pumpernickel actually directed her attention over to Dez that he physically felt his ego ache.

Weak.

It was a word that seemingly a reoccurring theme for Dez now. It appeared as though everyone was seeing it and attaching it to the boy's image. And Dez was hating it. This was a stark contrast to the praise and adoration he received from school and from his parents, before Caleb passed. But now he was having to face the truth about his weak side; the parts of him that contains his insecurities, flaws, and weaknesses. It was all coming to him now that he was having to accomplish tasks in the outside world.

Dez was finally beginning to understand the anger and frustration that Caleb felt, and it was scaring him. But at that moment he was offended and trying his hardest to hold back his tongue and tears before he bursted at the girl. Fortunately he had some control over himself and allowed the conversation between her and K to continue. Although his fists were shaking from the retention of his emotions. Dez could tell from Pumpernickel's words that she wasn't looking for an answer from him and simply poking fun at him. So he also kept his mouth shut as an attempt to not appear like a fool or a brat.

Suddenly his inner turmoil was disrupted with the distraction of alarms crying out in the airport. His eyes shifted away from the girl and looked around to see what was happening. His immediate thought should have wondering if this was the doing of PKFire, but instead the boy was deciding if he could successfully blend into the fleeing crowd. The face of Edge La popping up in the menu screen stopped him, as well as his desire to find out about Caleb's connection to PKFire. His brother's past was the main reason for him to be on this mission.

What does she want? was Dez' initial thought that was soon followed with, Miss her? Where the hell did she go? Dez was aware that he was a recent recruit and that he probably was out of the loop for a lot of things, but he was almost sure he would have known if his Guildmaster had disappeared to someplace, right? Well it appeared as though he didn't, which continued to further rotten Dez' ego.

The boy at this point didn't know if he should say anything back to Edge La or not since he was beginning to have doubts on this mission and that it appeared as though no one saw him with any authority. But she had contacted him so there was at least some respect she must have for him. "Dez here. What's the news?" Not much emotion came out of the boy's question as he continued to stand there, shifting his eyes between the screen and Pumpernickel. Even with the introduction of Edge La, he wasn't taking his eyes off the bully of a girl. After all, she was a part of the mission. And at this point Dez wanted to see the mission to the end, not for the guild, but for himself. Dez needed answers about Caleb, and PKFire had them.

Drawing Fire Quest:
Little City Regional (Airport)

Elijah Royals

"You're right. That is simple." While the kid had a mouth on him, his way of speaking made things easy to understand. Basically, Pwnies was a thorn in the side of PKFire and they preferred to have that removed. Rather than an actual meeting, this was more like a face-to-face warning. With these people, it was either get with the program or get put down. Those were the only two options offered to their guild. "Got it. I'll pass that message along to the boss." Between joining up with a terrorist group or leaving the Codebreaker business altogether, it was clear what his answer would be, but there was no reason to give it at the moment. This was a warning to the guild as a whole and Edge La was the one in charge. The goal of the mission was only to see what PKFire wanted. If only for the moment, the members present weren't under any pressure to offer an immediate answer. Pwnies gets information and they get their message across. There was no need to escalate the situation by doing anything else.

When it seemed like the matter had been settled with the bandana-wearing youth, the three of them were soon joined by a sharply dressed man with a briefcase. Apart from the clothes he wore, he separated himself from his companion with his words. Calm, polite, and patient. It was like staring at the polar opposite of the person they had been dealing with until now. However, a better attitude wasn't necessarily a good thing.

In Elijah's experience, people that wore smiles and nice suits could prove more troublesome to deal with than simple folks with bad attitudes. That's the sort of impression he got from the man named Basalte. While he may have used kinder words, what he said wasn't much different from what they heard earlier. Regardless of whether it was said with a nice or rude tone, this was still a warning.

Before either of the two Codebreakers could respond, alarms suddenly began sounding off throughout the airport. With all the fuss, it was difficult to hear the sound of his menu. Accompanying the silver screen, a familiar voice addressed the members of Pwnies. Considering her timing, the news she had probably wasn't the good kind.

Elijah's neutral expression didn't change as things seemed to take a turn for the worse, but Rhyme clearly hadn't taken well to the recent development. His face as white as a sheet, he quickly switched from questioning the PKFire members to doing the same with Edge La. While it was hard not to accuse a terrorist organization of being responsible for a possible terrorist attack, being blamed for what was happening probably wouldn't sit too well with them on the off chance that they had nothing to do with it. It was possible that this may have been the warning that they spoke of, but attacking the airport right now didn't seem to make much sense, especially after saying that they wanted to talk. If this was a about sending a message, then why even go to the trouble of meeting in person and making an offer? They would've been better off attacking from the start and claiming responsibility. Pwnies wouldn't have the opportunity to interfere, their identities would've remained hidden, and a lot of time would've been saved. Honestly, it all seemed counter-productive for people that supposedly wanted to have a discussion. While he hadn't been exposed to him for too long, Elijah got the feeling that Basalte was the type that didn't care for things that were bad for business.

Minimizing his menu, Elijah turned his attention back to the men in front of him. For now, he'd let Rhyme deal with Edge La. Meanwhile, he'd try to do something about the problem in front of him.

"Royal. Pleasure is mine." He responded to the man's question with his usual calm tone, appearing relaxed as ever. He didn't have anything to hide, so giving out his codename probably wouldn't be as risky as it would be for Rhyme. Even if he didn't say anything, asking for their names may have just been a formality. It wasn't hard to believe that they already had access to that information. Going along with it was probably for the best. Besides, it wasn't polite to not give your name after someone else did.

"It looks like an official meeting will have to wait now, but as for questions..." Leaving one of his hands pocketed, Royal used the other to scratch the back of his neck, glancing at the ongoing commotion before looking to the pair. "Any clue what's going on?"

hosaki hosaki
clarinetti clarinetti

Drawing Fire

Edge La
"Dez and Lynn. You don't hear bells ringing around you right now? Or..maybe I should clarify. What that means is the world is shutting down. At least for now. You have to log off, and you have to log off posthaste."

And to the others she said:

"K and Royal, that means you too. I don't know how long we'll be out for sure, but it looks like things are about to change. I'll be sending over the reward for the quest in a moment, but be warned, it may look a bit wonky. Though that's neither here nor there. Take care during the break and try not to get into any trouble my friends. I'll see you on the flip side. Buenas Noches."

Level Up! You have gained 1 level, K. You have received 1 stat point to spend anywhere you wish. Please take your time and choose wisely.

Level Up! You have gained 1 level, Rhyme. You have received 1 stat point to spend anywhere you wish. Please take your time and choose wisely.

Level Up! You have gained 1 level, Dez. You have received 1 stat point to spend anywhere you wish. Please take your time and choose wisely.

Level Up! You have gained 1 level, Royal. You have received 1 stat point to spend anywhere you wish. Please take your time and choose wisely.

Kirito Awarded: K, Rhyme, Dez, Royal 800 Kirito has been transferred to your bank account.

hosaki hosaki
Life. Life.
Lucem Lucem
clarinetti clarinetti

This Thread Is Now Closed. Part I Is Now Over.
Please refer here for continuation in Part II:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back