Telltale

Lokipi

QT Pi
Hey, ladies and gentlemen!

Anyone out there a fellow Telltale game fan?

If you've not heard of them, and you are the type of player who loves story-driven games, I strongly suggest looking these guys up. :) Obviously read into the game before buying, but they are over all platforms so go wild.

Here's a few to start with, although you'll have to forgive me if I missed any.

The Walking Dead, seasons 1 and 2, plus the walking dead Michonne game.

tumblr_mendjboH0z1qhag37.gif

Wolf Among Us

the-wolf.jpg

Tales from the Borderlands

0Q7J5r.gif

Anyway back on track, I've been hyping recently over the up and coming third season of the walking dead game, but I am also a massive fan of the game of thrones and of course, Tales from the Borderlands!

I've posted this to chat and hype over things with fellow fans. But to begin things, and to spark conversation, pick one character (your favourite or most hated) and explain why.

Be warned readers, that if you are playing one of the games from Telltale for the first time, there may be spoilers waiting below.

For me, I have a big soft spot for Vaughn from Tales from the Borderlands. The surprisingly ripped nerd who is a loyal friend with some wonderful lines xD

Of course, hand in hand with that character I also have a weird love for Rhys. His shoes are amazing; that's why xD . However, he's also beautifully socially awkward and has a habit of getting into really weird situations which I can relate to xD

So you guys next I guess :)

***Edit***

Okay so when I started this I just wanted to talk, however with more up and coming games I figured I would put a little more work into this thread. Sure we haven't got much press but for those that wish to use it, I will jazzy-ify it for you. However, I am a student with limited time so the changes I am going to make will happen later... much later *queue sad music and the world tiniest violin*.

However, the original point as to why I did this edit was to include a youtube video from E3 2016. For those who don't follow it religiously, this might have been slipped under your radar, but here's Telltale's section for you guys!

[media]

[/media]
The video includes content about the up and coming Batman game due at the end of Summer, which is all very exciting. So go wild if you wanna watch the whole video which is 19 minutes long, but worth it for the Batman discussion.

However, for those really into the Walking dead, I have included a link to the preview of the walking dead season three! It's included in the first video but if you just want to watch the snippet here it is!

[media]

[/media]
With a total of nine fingers, Clem is back and looking more badass than ever!

Furthermore, the snippet trailer also introduces a new character, Javier, this new brooding addition, playing a very much central part of the up and coming game. It should be noted that Javier seems to be tattoo buddies with a zombie =0 gasp! Theories? ;)

Anyway, both games: Batman and Walking Dead, are announced to come out this fall. So I guess for a lot of Telltale fans, Christmas is coming early.

Last edited by a moderator:
I adore both Vaughn and Rhys. Granted, Rhys is voiced by Troy Baker. A lot of characters he voices wind up fitting into that one character archetype I like.

Not even going to hide my shame, I screamed when I saw how ripped Vaughn was.

That was more terrifying than Silent Hill could ever be.

Also, the part with Scooter was super sad ;-;

Vaughn was ripped. I was just as awestruck and somewhat uncomfortable as Jack was.

Probably my favorite TellTale, with the Walking Dead series being a close second.

Haha, the comments about Vaughn almost made me cry! But I think he grows into his ripped form with the addition of the Obi Vaughn Kenobi beard.

giphy.gif

I also have to admit that I blocked Scooter from my memory, as that scene left scars which will never heal...

Yet to hear some love for The Wolf Among Us though, anyone a fan?

I liked it, but at the same time got a little too dark and brooding for me. Although I loved the design of Mary xD

The Wolf Among Us was my first Telltale game (uh, out of the new games, anyway) and gosh I was so glad, I loved that game. I was a fan of the comics and it was so cool to see the Fables get a game. It was awesome to play Bigby and I thought that the Crooked Man was a pretty cool villain. But Toad was pretty funny too ( :P )

I have too many favs in these games, Telltale just writes characters really well! There's no way I could pick a favourite from TftB - either I love 'em or I love to hate 'em (or both, in one obvious case). I have some great ideas about the two different ways you can play TftB - for most Telltale games I never end up playing a second time because, well, the dialogue/cut scenes are surprisingly long and I already have my 'canon' version of the game. But for TftB I managed to play through the whole game twice - once canon, the other non-canon.

And then TftB got me back into the rest of the Borderlands series (^U^) (Send me a PM if you play any Borderlands on steam~).

The Walking Dead S2 was... Well I liked it a lot more than a lot of other people seemed to, but it was still a noteable drop in quality. They're coming out with a third season! I don't know if I should be excited or wary (':3)

Haha, I think out of the two options for the release of season 3, I'm going to go with excited ;)

Although I had to disagree with the quality statement. I loved the second season, felt like it transitioned well between the younger Clem and her Tween years. I also enjoyed following Clem through downright heart-breaking scenes which she had to endure. *Sniff* Luke...you fool* Sniff*.

But to add, I have updated the first post with links to the E3 Telltale interview, which talks about Batman and The Walking Dead. Hope you enjoy and I apologise now for the poor quality of the post. I am meant to be writing my dissertation so it's all rather slap-dash.

@Lokipi - aah slap-dash is good (:3)

Oh I think S2 of TWD did a lot of things good and right - Clem was absolutely stunning and I super enjoyed playing her and making decisions with her. But I felt the narrative had a drop in quality - each episode of S1 felt like a long time but S2's eps felt noticeably shorter. It kind of felt like one of those games that gets rushed to meet a release date? (Like, when you play a game and you can tell there was meant to be a quest here or that the quest ended abruptly - that sort of thing). Mostly I could just see a whole bunch of potential in the game/story but it seemed to 'settle' instead.

I'm still happy to see S3 coming out, though. I think I'm going to go into lock-down mode, though, and not watch any trailers/etc about it so I can play it fresh with no info.

Gasp! You must have will power made from steel, my friend! I couldn't wait to jump onto these links xD

Was sat in front of my tv cuddling a pillow like a five-year-old, when I found the interview. I don't think I even blinked when the snippet trailer came on xD

Ah I didn't get that :( But I'm a pretty easy person to please I guess xD

Glad slap-dash is good though, as I feel everything is turning out that way right now xD

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very tempting but I have a lot of practice at avoiding every and all things for any game/film/tv show I like that's soon to release (:3) I find it more exciting/fun this way. My brain doesn't like repeating things, so I find seeing stuff even once can spoil experiences for me.

Let me know if any information releases about Batman, though! I haven't heard of any promo material. I'm on the fence about whether I'll play it or not - I probably will but... «shrug» I'm hoping for some written promo material on it before it comes out so I can get an idea of the game without seeing gameplay.

I got started on TelltaleGames with Sam and Max, and then with Tales of Monkey Island and Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. I loved how they started on the stance that there was still a market for point and click games when LucasArts cancelled a beautiful Sam and Max game to become the Star Wars Game Company, just because LucasArts decided that Star Wars was the only thing their base wanted.

It's awesome to see how far they've come.

Bluerockman said:
I got started on TelltaleGames with Sam and Max, and then with Tales of Monkey Island and Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. I loved how they started on the stance that there was still a market for point and click games when LucasArts cancelled a beautiful Sam and Max game to become the Star Wars Game Company, just because LucasArts decided that Star Wars was the only thing their base wanted.
It's awesome to see how far they've come.
Yeeeesssssssss!!!!!!! I'm so glad someone else started out on Sam & Max and Monkey Island!

I only played a little Monkey Island, but Sam & Max Hit the Road was my childhood game and I was overly ecstatic when Telltale arrive and announced they were making new Sam & Max games. I love the new games, though I can see their flaws (didn't quite grasps the tone of the original/comics & Telltale really hit their stride for point-n-click games with The Walking Dead) but I love Sam & Max so (*U*)

I played the Back to the Future series they did, too. Same issues as their Sam & Max games, but again I loved the franchise so flaws were forgivable (o'v'o)

I'm pretty sure I've played nearly every single Telltale game there is. I'm in love with their style. It's a nice concept, the whole 'let the player tailor the story' thing.

gogojojo331 said:
I wish they'd evolve their game engine just a bit more...
Whaddaya mean?

I actually have the opposite wish, I think ( :P ) The Wolf Among Us and TWD1 both had pretty good controls, in my opinion, but later games the controls weren't as simple to pick up. I got pretty frustrated a whole bunch with TWD2 because the game just... didn't register me swiping the joystick?

Though I guess fixing that wouldn't be evolving/devolving the engine - just bug fixing. The engine seems pretty good for their style of game.

What sort of things would you like to see change?

gogojojo331 said:
I don't really know...maybe they just feel too....same-y
Like, their engine feels to similar between games? (TWD feels like TftB and like TWAU?) Because, um, I have some bad news about game companies for you? (':3)

But if you mean it feels too samey compared to non-Tell Tale games... please tell me which games! I would love more games like Tell Tales' (:3)

Have you ever tried Point-and-Click games like Gemini Rue? Or some choose your own adventure games from Choice of Games? I reccomend the Heroes Rise Trilogy. I heard Until Dawn was good.

gogojojo331 said:
Have you ever tried Point-and-Click games like Gemini Rue? Or some choose your own adventure games from Choice of Games? I reccomend the Heroes Rise Trilogy. I heard Until Dawn was good.
(Unfortunately, PC is basically my only platform). Though yes, I've played a few point-and-click games besides Tell Tale ones. Actually that was something I really liked about Tell Tale games - point-and-click often gets a lot of flack these days, but I thought TT did a pretty good job of fine tuning the mechanics and giving point-and-click a good genre to work with.

Game jade is a thing that happens though «pats you» Sorry buddy. You just gotta find a game that piques your interest again. Or you could replay an old favourite?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back