• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Tales of Ovelia: Seeds of Freedom

Penelope Burns

Forest, of run fame.
((@CosmicChangeling ))

It is the year 1052 MA. Magisters, mages of immense power, rule the land of Ovelia from their giant buildings called Towers. Under their iron rule, the only magic users allowed to exist are the Magisters themselves or their heirs, random magic users kidnapped from near infancy to serve as replacements upon a Magister's death.

Each of these twelve Magisters rule a certain section of Ovelia, using the populations as slaves to influence whatever goals they have, and using a few lucky slaves as Slave Masters to directly control the slaves in local areas. The slaves spend their lives afraid of Magisters' magic, but Slave Masters need different means to keep slaves in check, so Magisters came up with the idea of kidnapping 20% of the populace at birth and raising them to be blindly loyal soldiers to serve Masters.

Thanks to Magister's magic and the soldiers, few slaves ever thought to rebel against the system, though rebels did exist. The most well known group was the Outcasts, who had thousands of people living among them. They never took on a Magister, but rather built up their supplies and numbers with various raids against Slave Masters. In 1020, the Magisters finally began treating the Outcasts as though they were a notable threat, and attacked several outposts. in 1050, they attacked the Oris mountains, the base of operations for Outcasts, crushing them so thoroughly that any remaining outposts weren't seen as worth the effort of attacking.

After leading the attack on Oris, Magister Keval, the richest and oldest of the Magisters, seemingly vanished, leaving his Tower undefended. Due to the common belief that his tower was where he housed his fortune, many Outcasts and other outlaws planned on assaulting his empty tower, hoping to find a fortune to help them escape Ovelia for the lands east of the ocean. Sari and Damien, two Outcasts wanting revenge against Keval for the death of their friends at Oris, organized an assault on his tower, wanting to destroy his home like he destroyed theirs.

Sari threw down the shovel after she finished. The dirt covered every aspect of the body, as if it never existed. As if the last seven years of her life hadn't happen. She wanted so badly to see the light in his eyes, to see him smile one more time, but she knew that wasn't going to happen. He was gone, her Damien was dead.

He wasn't the first to die, either. Zoe and Keni had been killed only a week earlier, both littered with arrows during an ambush. Sari didn't know them well, but the two of them didn't deserve to die like that. The Tower was less than a few hours away, but even getting there had cost them far too much.

Sari didn't know what to feel. She felt grief, tremendous grief, but it wasn't enough. It wasn't remotely enough of an emotion to equate how she felt. What Sari felt was rage, pure rage. The Magisters took everything from her. Her home, her father, and finally her husband. Revenge was all she had left, all that could keep her going. She would make sure they felt the pain, the horror of what they put her through.

"Let's go." Sari said to her last surviving partner without another word. She could mourn later, when the last Magister was a smoldering corpse. Once that was done, she could think of every moment in her life with Damien, could look back on her life and smile again. Once she had her revenge, she could join him.

O'Donovan realized that he was probably one of the shittiest people on the planet...and quite possibly had a problem. As Sari worked with her shovel, throwing it to the ground his eyes lingered on her breasts. The woman had just lost her husband, they had lost their travelling party. And he had glanced at her breast.

I officially have a problem. A sociopathic problem.

"Sari...we can take the night to rest. What happened....you might need some time to process it." When she started walking he picked up his pace to get infront of her. "They will be there tomorrow...even later today. You can allow yourself an hour."

(Sorry this is short!)

How dare this bastard. He had spent the entire journey staring at Zoe's breasts, or trying to get in bed with her, then didn't even care when she was gone. The next day he just kept walking, unmoved by the death of someone he knew, however briefly. They weren't wasting any time, and Sari certainly wasn't going to spend the night camped near where she buried her husband.

She looked at him, her anger obvious in her eyes. "You don't have the right to decide what we do. You've spent the entire journey tagging along, hiding during a fight and trying to fuck Zoe whenever you could. We don't know when the Magister will be back. We don't know how well guarded his Tower is. We don't even know if it's possible to sneak into the city, let alone the Tower!" She shoved him aside and kept walking, not even bothering to look back as she continued to speak. "Until we are within spitting distance of the city's walls, we aren't resting. We aren't wasting a second that could be spent making these monsters pay."

Well that stung. It was true, still stung. "Hey, I thought of very creative ways to help us out of jams. That....look what i'm trying to get at is we took a big hit. A damaging life altering hit. He was your husband. You might, jesus you walk fast. I'm going to ignore your low blows out of respect to your grieving process but...completely ignoring me. Ok then."

She was right though, he was a coward. Their friends had all died giving their life to a cause, to what they were doing. Well friends was a strong word, but these people literally fought with their hearts. He weasled his way out, and this time he wasn't able to come up with a plan to get rid of all of them in time for what had happened. But Sari was crazy with revenge...pain and grief. She was entitled to revenge but if she wasn't careful she would-

he sighed running his fingers through his hair. It was easier to just be the coward but nooooooooo, he was following along.

"I can grieve when everything is over." Sari said, still continuing onward. She didn't care if he followed or not. If he wanted the money he'd stay, but he was going to work for it. Every battle from then on. Sneaking in, finding a place to stay, keeping watch, all were his job as well as her own. He wasn't getting off easy any longer. "Donovan, or whatever your name is, this is your last chance." She stopped walking and looked back to him. "I'm going to finish this, going to make sure that I get ahold of whatever of Keval's I can, and the rest burns. If you still want to come along, to see this through, then you'll get 3/4 of the cut." She was being honest. She detested how he had acted prior to Damien's death, but finishing her mission alone was almost impossible. He said at the beginning that he was good at sneaking around, that would be useful.

As long as he stayed, that is.

((After your next post it's going to do a short timeskip to about midnight when they reach the city. You can do it and describe the city (how it looks is your choice), or just post your post and I can do the timeskip.))

O'Donovan....but really at this point they could call him whatever. As long as it wasn't-

3/4 the cut. He would be lying if his body didn't betray him and slightly perk up at hearing that. He probably, most definitely, had a problem. No. No, he was choosing to stay because this woman was going to most likely kill herself. He wasn't a complete heartless bastard.

Or was he?

"Youre going to keep going until you get yourself killed aren't you?" he asked keeping up with her and her fast pace.

(Probably you until i get a feel of the land and how its set up, if that's ok)

His accusation was appalling, but Sari couldn't deny it. He was right, she was going to keep going until she died. "Or until my mission is done." She said, and kept walking.

After a few hours of traversing the woods outside of Keval's illustrious city, they finally arrived. They had reached the edge of the woods and were only a dozen yards away from the city's walls. The walls themselves stretched over 50 yards into the air, making the idea of climbing over it seem absurd. It had cracks in several areas, proof of the years it had stood. The only way in was a large, rusted gate manned by at least a dozen men.

Behind the wall, the only thing visible was the Tower, which had to be at least three times as large as the wall. From their location, they wouldn't be able to see more than the tower's color, a solid black. Giant plumes of smoke rose from behind the walls, signifying that something was going on in the city itself.

Whatever it was, Sari didn't care. "Tomorrow we find a way inside." She didn't say another word, and prepared the campsite for her sleep.

((He definitely stole the staff. It is a long long stick and it looks cool....and the throwing knives))

Leaning against one of the trees, O'Donovan looked at the booming city. An outsider not familiar with this world would think this was the place to be. In fact it was the place you wanted to be the furthest away. Pulling out out the staff strapped to his back he spun it like a baton looking at it. It wasn't his, not at first. Most of the items he possessed never were originally his. But it didn't mean they weren't useful to him in the long run.

"Land of opportunity and a city of industry, we've arrived at success!" he joked. But Sari didn't seem to laugh or even take a look at him. She just said they would find a way in the city tomorrow.

The entire journey she barely talked. The little jokes he attempted to break the awkward tension did not work. He was starting to get the feeling that she would kill him if she didn't feel backed into a corner with very little choice.

--

O'Donovan waited until Sari had fallen asleep before he stopped faking it himself and got up. She probably was expecting them to fight their way into the city right in the break of day. Which was stupid. Not only would they be at their top alert in the day, you can't just fight your way in. Guards and soldiers would then break through the city to chase after them and they wouldn't make it 2 miles in the city before the two of them were slaughtered.

But at night...calling for reinforcements would decrease the amount of soldiers that would show up, and it was easier to hide in the dark in aplace you never been before...than the day where the home team knew the territory and could spot you in seconds. he creeped up closer and crouched watching the guards at the door.

Better to do this now. There were four main guard points. If Sari shot one and killed them dead, they would rush to that location first making their intended entrance easier to...fight through.

--

Crouching down he nudged Princess Sleepy head. "You probably don't want to hear this, buuuut time to wake up, our best shot is now. You got your bow?"

Sari woke immediately after Dr. Asshole started nudging her, and not a moment after her eyes opened he asked if she had her bow. Why would he be asking such a question in the middle of the night? Immediately she jumped to her feet and grabbed her bow and quiver.

"What is it?" She asked, drowsy and annoyed.

(Super sorry for taking so long and not posting much, it has been a long 5 hours))

(No worries. Lives. I hope all is good.)

She probably thought it was an attack. Folding his arms he rested them on the right knee the left leg on in the dirt.

"You know why most raids happen at night? Becase the defenders don't have enough time to all be alert and attackist. So if you want to sneak in....we better do it now. I have a plan."

"Okay, what's your plan?" Sari asked, extremely annoyed. When one has a plan, it's courteous to explain what the plan is and not be vague.

She examined the gate and walls, hoping to figure out what his plan was. Obviously fewer guards were positioned, but it couldn't be as simple as killing the few that were awake. They would have to kill all of them in such a way that the other guards didn't see or hear their comrades dying.

Mrs. Grumpy Gills. That's who he was travelling with. With her brows knitted it looked like she was contemplating an arrow in the kneecap. And there his eyes went again, lingering for a second at her breasts.

He probably had a problem...maybe.

Clearing his throat, he pointed out the top guarding posts. "There are four. I think we should play a game of misdirection. You fire one of the watchers at one point, watch most of the guards leave their posts to that location to handle the threat. We deal with the stragglers behind and slip in. Sure, they'll see the dead bodies but it buys us a window of time to get a head start. Never been in this city, so I'm just hoping we have more cover at night to hide and keep moving than we would during the day."

((The minute she realizes that he will get hell, just an fyi))

Sari nodded as he explained his plan. It wasn't a bad idea, with the right timing it was almost foolproof. Maybe he wasn't completely useless. After taking another moment to examine the guard posts, Nevia chose which spot to attack. Out of the four posts watching over the gate and surrounding area, the farthest from the gate was the least defended, while the two posts closest had at least four soldiers each.

Shooting the farthest one would take the longest for people to notice, but when they did it would be a cakewalk to eliminate the remaining guards in one of the closer posts. Without waiting another second, Sari readied her bow and looked to Donovan. "Ready?" She asked, prepared for the fight.

(he's...trying NOT to do it....and acknowledges he has a problem. They are quite nice breast.)

"There's only one slight hiccup," he said. O'Donovan paused waiting for Snaggletooth to shoot him 'you're a frikken idiot look'. He might have deserved it. "We have to shoot your bow....in such a way that makes the attack look like it came in a different direction. If you shoot, and they can deduce that the arrow came from the left or right, they're going to check this area first. Well...first they should go to their dead comrad and listen to commands so we still have that VERY small window of time. But if you can, and I don't know how you could, make it look like you're in a different aiming spot when you shoot....that window grows larger."

(O'Donovan is smart, he's....yeah a coward knows how to avoid conflict)

Sari wanted to look at him like he was a moron, but she just couldn't. His plan was smart, he thought out the flaws and was trying to find a way to get around them. Maybe he wasn't useless after all.

"So we need to figure out a way to make it look... Hmm" She didn't know what she could do. Moving too far out of position made sneaking in during the chaos almost impossible, especially with people looking for her. She was fast, but silence wasn't her forte. "I'm thinking, is there any other way to do this? If we're too direct they know where to look, but if I'm too far when I fire I'll almost assuredly have to fight."

He sat back rubbing his chin deep in thought. It posed a giant problem. She would have to get over there and slink back undetected. Shed have to be like a ghost. "Two options. First. I'm sneaky. I can get there shoot and get back to this entrance. Not a problem. But that requires you to trust me, sweet heart and I doubt you want to do that. Next we change our strategy. You shoot near the post in the woods with a lit arrow. They see a fire and then we go when this post had less men. Problem we have to wait for the fire to grow it will but wed have to wait. How fast do you want to get in there?"

"And if they put out the fire before it blooms? No I think it'd be a safer bet to trust you. Not to mention I'd be able to help you if they spotted you." Sari made her decision then, and handed him the bow, not waiting for a response. It was the best plan possible, so he could be the one to execute it. "Good luck." She said before packing up the essentials. They would be leaving nearly everything behind, save some food, water, Damien's sword & gun combo, and whatever Donovan decided to take.

(I'm on my phone....so this won't be as epic as I want it to be. WiFi crapped out)

He blinked. Wow. That was easy. He very easily could set the trap and then ditch shed be the one out in the open.

Not that....of course he wouldn't do that. That be ridiculous.... She handed him the bow and her quiver. "Alright. But do not strike anyone until all the soldiers who leave the post can't see what is going on. Silent kills. They can't scream. They can't know their comrads are fallen until its too late. You have to be silent but deadly. You got it?"

He grabbed rope, because you always....always need rope. A bag, gun powder. He never used guns but their powder....he'd steal that whenever he got the chance, the staff and his own throwing daggers. "

"Good luck sweetheart," he winked before swiftly running into the woods. Sean was fast and agile and you could barely hear his footsteps. He even managed to avoid twigs to step on like it was second nature for him to be a ghost.

Something a coward knew how to be like it was a profession. When he got to the post concealed by the woods he looked as he pulled an arrow and got his aim right. "Twelve men sitting at a post...."

Fired at the look out. "One fell down Noe there are 11/men sitting at post."

Shot another ad he continued his little song. He saw three leave to get back up.....he fired one last arrow at one of the messengers. That should be enough to get soldiers...

Gotta run three took off in his direction.

Cowardness and agility don't fail him now.

Sari watched the chaos unfold from the sturdy branch of a tree overlooking her campsite. Obviously from his new position Donovan found quite a few more people stationed, and wasn't hesitant to shoot them dead. He was a good shot, taking down three people before they realized his location.

In the back of her mind she had been worried that he was going to run off on her, leave her for dead. Logically he never would have, it would have been downright stupid, but sometimes people did stupid things. She gave him her trust, though, and it paid off.

After watching messengers yell for help and get the attention of several other soldiers, Sari turned to where Donovan's position was to see several people heading in his direction. Immediately she jumped from her tree and ran to his location, hoping she could get there in time to save him. She wasn't losing someone else.

Not even him.

(Ruining plans. He now has to think on his feet. He won't be too happy that she didn't kill the ones left behind and got in the city :) but for us its awesome)

Right now he could count on snaggletooth disposing of the guards left at the post the two of them were aiming to go through. All he had to do was outrun these soldiers and get in and find her.

Not that hard....except he forgot to delegate a meeting spot... Fucking idiot.

O'Donovan kept over a large rock and grabbed a tree branch. Pulling it back he his behind that tree. When he saw the three of them coming as they were in mid leap over the rock he let go of the branch.

It smacked the three of them prone.

Taking his throwing knives he threw one at a time at their throats.

Only one missed so he resorted to smashing his head with the bow as the soldier was getting up.

He needed a sword it made death easier. The two soldiers choking on their own blood. He went to steal one so he could finish the last living one when...

"You're supposed to be over there! We don't have time for....shit..." The last soldier was getting up and swung. Donovan managed to jump away but his shirt was ripped.

He really liked that shirt...

Sari didn't respond to his comment, she was too busy worrying about the an about to kill her companion.

Not on her watch

She pulled out both of her daggers and sprinted to her opponent while his back was turned. Before he noticed her presence , she had managed to stab him three times in the back and throw him to the ground. She watched the blood stain his uniform for a moment, feeling a strange sense of joy. He wasn't a Magister, but the poor man was about to take all she had left. Stopping him felt invigorating.

"I'm not leaving you behind, now let's go before they send more out!" She said in a hurry, still breathing a bit more quickly due to her attack. She was going to have to be more conservative with her attacks next time.

((Okay so the gate will be easy to pass through, but on the other side will be 6 guards (4 male 2 female)))

She definitely was a warrior. All his attacks had been ones of stealth and hiding. As the last soldier fell he bent down and grabbed his daggers from the other two.

"We have the option of putting on their uniforms." He said looking st her. If she decided that it was best to run in right now and use their window of opportunity city he'd follow the lead.

Steal a sword first. Bit follow the lead.

"If we want to put on uniforms than we'll have to be smart about it. And kill people in a better way, because the man I killed has a very bloody back." Sari wasn't kidding, the blood of the man she killed was building up, part was even seeping into the grass. It would be a problem to clean up, that was for sure.

She saw him pick up a sword, then mentally tried to come up with an idea to get them through the gates alive. After a few seconds, she had it.

"Donovan, stay hidden near the walls, and keep my bow ready. I'm going to distract them, while I do pick off a few, if possible with shots to the head. Once you're done I'll need you to choke out at least one guard, don't worry we'll kill her later. After that we'll put on the armor and head to the tower, hopefully without arousing suspicion." Sari finished her plan and sighed. It wasn't great, but when it came to combat she knew what she was talking about.

Bloody uniforms would be suspicious. OK. He had to kind of agree with that. "Fine. Silent kills. They can't scream. I stress that they can't scream or talk or we are fucked. Got it?"

He put the sword at his...no hr needed a hilt he took that too. He let SAR lrwd as he searched three bodies. Gun powder. He would need that.

Then he took off following her. Nearling wincing as she snapped some twigs here and there. But....that....was....OK. No....but whatever. His job was to hide by the wall and be the ranger.

He could do this.

Sari continued to run forward, only slowing down when she reached the gate, Donovan in tow. The guards, for the most part, were focusing on the woods themselves, on a nonexistent larger raid. The plan worked, it seemed.

Once against the outer wall, Sari motioned for him to begin then ready. Once he shot she would follow up by charging in and shooting someone with Damien's gun, and following that hell would break loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back