• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Take these broken wings and learn to fly

Johnny R McAvery

Magic still exist for those willing to see.
Alistair was walking alone in the deep of night. He had on a coat several sizes too big. The coat was one of those tweed coats, a mustard looking green with elbow pads sown on poorly. The arms of the jacket covered his hands completely and it was a good thing, the weather was cold outside and as the wind blew it made his hair flow behind him, obvious that he hadn't been bathed in a long while.

When a minivan took the curve it shone on him and the ripped pants revealed his thing legs and boots that were several sizes too big. The man inside that van slowed to a stop and rolled down his window. "Hey kid are you okay? Need food? I.... Look I'll get you home. I promise."

Alistair didn't say anything but he had some sense that he could trust this man. Even if the man was a crook what would he loose? He had been tossed from everyplace he ever visited. Maybe death would be forgiving. When the man opened the passenger door he got in and fumbled with the buckle. The man then drove them to his house.

Layla was working on her homework and listening to music trying to figure out how to spell a word but couldnt figure it out so she decied to wait until he dad got him. She was almost done with her math work so she finished that. She had been home waiting for he dad with the door locked like she was told.

When sit got bored of music she decide to get ready for bed. She went up to her room and found so pajamas, she went to the bathroom and turned on the water. she took a bath and got out and got dressed in her pajamas. she did her normal routine and brushed her hair but h=she had to wait to brush her teeth until after dinner.

She kept looking out the living room window. When she saw her dads minivan she ran to the door and unlocked it, slipped on a pair of shoes and ran outside. She smiled "daddy!" she said excitedly.

"Hey sweetie" He said He he put a briefcase down and left the front door open. "Looks like you did everything like you were supposed to. Now tonight is a little different. I brought home a guest. I believe he is lost so I am going to try to get a hold of his parents." He had barely finished talking when Alistair walked through the door, looking beyond scared. "Have a seat on the couch. I'll make you a sandwich while we wait."

Alistair took a seat as Dr. Dorian went into the kitchen. As Alistair sat there he stared at the girl, not saying anything.

((BTW let's try not to do one sentence replies.))

Layla smiled "ok daddy. you should make dinner I'm hungry" she says and walks to the kitchen door. She then looks that the boy sitting on the couch. She walks over and sits on the floor in front of him but not to close. She look at him carefully and inspects his face for emotion. She smiled at him "whats your name? I'm Layla " she says in a soft voice.

She thinks 'he looks scared and lost. who is he? where did my dad find him? Is he ok?'. she had so many questions but she was careful not to rush him. She wanted to make him feel welcome so he wasn't scared of her or her father. She was going to help him as much as she could.

He was quiet for a moment and then in a soft voice said: " I am Alistair. That is all I really know about myself. I don't have a family." His black matted hair was covering much of his face, and from the grease it clung ton it I'm certain places. Then like most kids he wiped his nose with the sleeve of his coat. He had a minor cold, consisting of a runny nose and some coughing.

Layla smiled "its nice to meet you Alistair. Are you hurt any where? She asks in a soft loving voice. She looked at him and she moved a little closer being careful not to scare him. She had her hair pulled back in a ponytail with her bangs down in her face alittle. She pushed her bangs out of her eyes and looked at him stright in the eyes.

"No. Just. I am afraid." Said Alastair as he moves his hair out from his own face, his golden eyes starring back out at Layla.

SO

Just then Dr. Dorian came from the kitchen carrying a tray full of various sandwiches. He also had a six pack of soda for the three of them to share, a clear soda so it didn't have caffeine. He didn't do well with caffeine late in the day. "Well I was on the phone with the missing children people and your description doesn't match their files. Can you tell me your name? Where you are from?"

Alistair took a sandwich when Dr. Dorian offered it and after eating it in a couple of bites he answered. "Alistair. I have no home. Even the homeless don't want me."

Layla smiled and took a soda and a sandwich "thank you daddy. Can Alistair stay here with us please?" she smiled and looked at her dad with a sweet look. She looked back at Alistair and took a bite out of her sandwich. "Alistair you do have to be afraid. Your safe here with us because neither of us will hurt you" She says in a soft loving voice.

"Well by all means. Alistair would you like that?" Asked Dr. Dorian as he cracked his soda open. He took his time eating.

Alistair was about to eat another sandwich but stopped to answer. "You won't be afraid?" As a way to elaborate he removed his jacket to reveal what appearred to be wings, which they were but actually attached to him. He opened them up and then solid black wings reached to either side of the sofa and threatened to knock down a lamp. In addition he was covered in black tattoos.

Layla looked at Alistair is awe "How did you get those wings and tattoos? I'm not afraid of you." she says in awe. She looks at his wings and his tattoos. she stands up and walks over to Alistair " Can i touch you wings please? i wont hurt you I'm Just curious how they feel." she says in a soft voice and looks at his wings carefully.

Alistair let her touch his wings as Dr. Dorian looked worried and scared. "What cruel person would tattoo you at such a young age?"

Alistair looked at him and was happy that the look of horror wasn't a response of someone being afraid of him. "They have always been there.... I... have monster feet." He kicked off the heavy and large boots to reveal talons like that of a raven. I'm fact his wings looked as though they belonged tons ravwn along with his eyes. If one were to examine him closely it would be clear that he was simply born this way.

Layla lightly and gently touches his wing "its so soft and light " She says and her hand touches his shoulder. She faints and she see him and hes holding her is his arms and she look at him like she fell in love with him. She starts to all backwards towards the floor as she fell tears come from her eyes and she slow falls to the floor.

"I didn't do anything." Said Alistair who didn't understand that she had fainted.

"It is alright. She does that from time to time. It is caused by lack of blood to the brain.a" said Dr. Dorian as he picked his daughter up. He put her in bed, knowing that shed be okay.

Going out ton the living room he took the coat that was lying on the couch and the shoes. "Come with me. We'll get you cleaned up and then get you to bed. Luckily we have a spar bedroom."

A few minutes later Alistair was under a hot stream of water and was washing himself for the first time in years. Layers of dirt came off in rivers and the grease from his hair could be seen sledding off. Perhaps thirty minutes later, though it seemed much shorter to Alistair he was out of the shower and drying off. He found in the sink a fresh change of clothes for him to get into. He slide into them and saw Dr. Dorian sitting at the dining room table. A pen in his hand and filling out a stack of papers. Math test as it were. He looked up at Alistair. "I will take you shopping for clothes tomorrow. As you could see I didn't have any underwear your size and that shirt. It'll take you several years to fit into it." He got up and helped Alistair comb his long hair, something he had gotten used to with his daughter. After getting it into a ponytail he lead him up the steps to the quest room.

That night Alistair nphad the best sleep he ever had known to have.

Layla woke up the next morning rubbing her head. Lucky for her it was the weekend finally. She tried to get out of bed but she was really dizzy. She crawled to her dads room carefully and slowly with her stuff panda in her hand. she get to his room and on the bed "Daddy wake up " she say is a soft still sleepy voice.

Dr. Dorian cracked an eyelid open and stared at the clock for a second. It was about the same time as she normally woke up on a Saturday. He rolled over suddenly and snatched her from the ground and held her tight in a bear hug. "Morning honey bun. Feeling alright? Last night was a bit was a bit exciting. Shall we go check on Alistair?"

Before she could answer he picked her up as he swung his legs out of the bed and put a hand on the panda in case she lost her grip in the twirl. He padded quietly down the hallway, making sure not to make too much noise in case Alistair was still asleep.

( I am off to bed. I will come Almost all of tomorrow. That way you know what is up.)

She laughed a little "Daddy Im ok my head hurts a little thats all" She says and looks around. She fixes her hold on the panda and hold it close. "wait Daddy i need too get something from my room Please" She says and tries to direct him to her room. She pulls his ear a little and tries to direct him. She remembers where she put the bear for Alistair, it had a note in the little zipper pocket from what she saw last night.

Dr. Dorian carried her to her room and flipped her down on the bed. "Alright what did you need to get?" Hw plopped down next to her and sat upright as if he was in a classroom.

Layla grabbed the other bear off of her night stand "ok let's go wake up Alistair" she said softly. She looked at her dad and ran out of the room and into Alistair's new room.

Alistair was already up and he had some dark circles under his eyes. Although he had slept well last night he would still need a few more good nights sleep. He was sitting up and had the blankets covering him from the waist down. He didn't have on anything except for the large shirt which was now annoying his wings. He wanted to take it off put if he did he would be completely exposed. He'd ask if he could cut holed in the back of the shirt at the very least. When Layla entered the room he stared at her for a moment and saw the bear. "Good morning Layla." He didn't know what else to say but he knew that phrase was common in the morning.

Layla smiled "morning Alistair. I brought you something" she said with a smile and said walked over to the side of the bed. She handed him the bear "this is for you " she said. She smiled and held her panda in her arms.

She was really happy to see him in the morning. She still had a little bit of a headache but she didn't mind it.

Alistair took the bear and studied it for a second. I looked like a grizzly bear and he could smell that is was clean and whole. He then held it to his chest like she was doing. It felt nice. "Thank you. I... This is the first thing I have ever owned. The others who saw me would make sure I got nothing like this in the past."

"All of that will change Alistair." Said Dr. Dorian as he rounded the corner. "Come on let's go get some breakfast."

Alistair swung his legs out from the bed and carefully placed his feet on the carpet. It took him a minute to get used to the idea of claws trying to get caught in the fabric but he soon caught on to a trick to not get caught up them. He followed them silently down the stairs and into the kitchen, still holding onto his bear.

Layla smiled at Alistair "Your welcome Alistair I got that bear for a gift but you look like you need it more than I do and plus I have Mr. Panda "she says in a sweet voice. She carefully places her panda on the counter and gets on to her chair. She smiles "daddy can I get something to drink please"she says and looks at him.

(If you know the song blackbird by the Beatles it will explain some about Alistair.)

Alistair smiled, truly happy to have gotten a gift. "Thank you. I will never get rid of it."

Dr. Dorian brought them bought a cold glass of orange juice and soon the kitchen was full of the sounds of breakfast being made along with the smells. "Alistair I know I told you we'd go shopping for some clothes for you today. We will after I return from the college. I work there as a math teacher. I have some students who need a little extra help. So when I get back we will go. Alright?" He flipped a few pieces of bacon and stirred the hashbrowns as he waited for an answer.

"I can wait. But I was wondering if I could cut holes in this shirt. It is kind of pulling on some of my feathers." Answered Alistair after he had taken a drink of the juice and wiped his mouth off with the corner of the sleeve of his over sized Shir.

"Yes but let me help you. And I think I have an old pair of sweat pants we could give you for pants. We'd have to cut those into shorts and tie them around you. How does that sound?"

"I would really like that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back