Take Back the Crown

Svetlana helped Yaroslav get into one of the carriages and then loaded his wheelchair into the back before seating herself next to him. Ashalr followed suit with another carriage, but made sure he could be with Aggie. He helped her into the carriage first as a gentlemen should.
Hjalmar was less interested in climbing aboard. He hated cramped spaces, especially carriages. He had ambushed far too many to feel safe inside of one. Despite that, he climbed in with a groan.

Foxrun adjusted the hem of his sleeves after climbing up into the first carriage. Svetlana, and a very disgruntled Yaroslav already sat within it. "Oh, you both look great! Albeit one seems far more comfortable than the other!" He chuckled, speaking more hushed towards the warrior "you look like you'd rather eat the head of a hammer before dressing in such attire again."

Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

Kacel'la, Garrett and Dorian all climbed into one of the carriages, only the first one truly eager to get to the gala. She liked people, and it had been some time since the elf had been to something quite so fancy, especially without some kind of stakes at play. Garrett just hoped he wouldn't end up embarrassing himself in some way, while Dorian was already settling into one of his people-masks, a pleasant and slightly mysterious smile curling his lips while he internally cursed the carriages.
He hated to be stuck in tight spaces with people -at least when they knew he was there. It was just calling for trouble. He had been the trouble himself enough times to know, so now all he wanted was to shift into a snake and hide by curling around Garrett's neck. But the familiar had to keep up appearances, if only to himself, so instead he struck up some idle conversation with Kacel'la, acting as calm as one could be.

Accepting his hand as she entered the carriage, she scooted to the side as to let more people in. Looking around the carriage, she placed her hands neatly in her lap and inspected the ceiling, awaiting for more people to enter the same one. Looking towards Ashlar as he crawled in as well, she smiled and swept her hair off to the side,"Now is there some sort of etiquette I should be remembering here? Im afraid I haven't been to a party this big in...well ever."

The closest thing she went that represented a party was going to watch her fellow mages graduate from the school she was in...or watching their bodies burn on pyres due to mishaps during training. Her body gave a shudder and she played it off with a smile, watching the others enter their carriages through one of the windows.

Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa @all

Oceana looked at the gilded carriages with mild uncertainty. Looking down at herself she wondered if she really belonged in such fine clothing, attending a gala of all things. Weren’t they supposed to be saving the land from demons?
A tap on her shoulder broke her reverie. Galiana nodded nervously and gestured at the carriage containing a lonely Hjalmar. The huntress sighed and smiled ruefully. The squire was right. Someone had to keep the thief out of trouble after all. Gingerly to avoid ruffling her silken robes, she climbed up into the thing. Galiana followed suit, surprising the elf as she sat next to her across from Hjalmar.
Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

“If that was an option, you’d be sure I would take it.” Yaroslav grunted in agreement. Svetlana smacked the back of his head, “You better not talk that way when we get there young man.”
GalacticRam GalacticRam
Ashlar let out a soothing laugh, “I’m honestly just winging at this point. I just observe what other people are doing and try to follow.” He explained honestly, “But you have nothing to worry about. With the way you’re looking right now, you fit right in. You could be mistaken for a princess!”
Vys Vys
Hjalmar felt mild relief at the sight of the huntress and the squire. Oceania was familiar, and Galiana seemed nice as far as he could tell. Perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad after all.
OlKaJa77 OlKaJa77

After the group of companions filed into the elegant carriages, white horses pulled them towards the gala with graceful strides. There was a mixture of excitement and apprehension as they approached the daunting event, but Svetlana believed that it was a much needed break from hunting relics and fighting daemons.
The carriages stopped in front of the massive palace that was lit up and full of music and chatter. It was a towering spectacle that sat atop the highest point of the city, as the sun set behind the massive structure, it cast a shadow over the town masking it in a quiet darkness. It seemed as if the whole town was attending the gala and the commotion was accumulated to one spot.
The group climbed out of their carriages and had to look up to see the top of the castle. “Svetlana!” A voice calls out from the top of the many steps they would have to climb. Passing under the archways was a friendly looking man with dark hair. His mustache covered his mouth, but you could tell he was smiling underneath. His age only showed through the grey patches in his hair. He skipped down the steps with open arms and greeted the witch with excitement.
“It’s been far too long, my old friend!” He exclaimed and kissed her cheek, “And Yaro!” He turned to the burly man in his wheel chair, “Last I saw, you were just a wee lad! My how you’ve grown!” The man went in for a hug and Yaroslav grimaced, “Kiss me and I will stab you.”
“Ah, so you’ve only changed in size. At least your humor is still in tact.” The man commented, obliging to Yaro’s wishes.
Svetlana chuckled and turned to everyone, “This is Jarl Erik Frank, the current leader of this fine city.” She introduced him.
“We are delighted to have you all here today.” He bowed slightly, “Eat and drink to your fill, dance to your hearts content! I hope we can offer you a relaxing night from your journey and some much needed fun!” He scanned over the group with a smile, which faded when his gaze landed on Hjalmar.
He gave Svetlana a look. She took his arm, “He’s with us, Erik.” She tried to reassure. The Jarl scowled. He turned to the thief again, “Count your blessing, Hjalmar. If not for Lady Svetlana, you would be thrown into the dungeons right here and now. I will only tolerate your presence here tonight for that reason. Should I catch you stealing or anything of the sort, she nor anyone here can save you from the gallows. Watch yourself.” He spat before turning back to the witch and walking her up the stairs as some of his men assisted Yaroslav.
Hjalmar just gazed at the ground. That was one awkward encounter out of the way. It seemed his face was not forgotten in the time he had been away. He followed the others into the ball room, trailing farther behind. He felt like the soldiers and anyone else who served Erik were glaring holes into his back. This was going to be a relaxing night indeed.

As the three friends climbed out of a carriage they were all quiet, though for different reasons.
Kacel'la tried not to show how she was nearly vibrating from excitement, somehow seemingly at ease with what should have been an alien place for a elf making their living as an adventurer. Garrett was wondering if it was too late to fall through the ground and vanish, sorely missing the anonymity of armor as he was more used to playing the faceless guard to events like these. And Dorian was silent because he preferred to be so before he got the lay of the land, at which point he would be all too happy to push buttons and see how riled up people got without him being blamed for one crisis or another.
That silence of his didn't last long as he watched Erik march away.
"What did you even do? I'm impressed." The familiar asked quietly as he walked up to Hjalmar.
Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

Bo stepped out of the carriage with his eyes set on the top of the grand building, and wonder-filled awe marking his countenance. As his gaze fell to the bottom floor, he looked about at all of the people walking in and out of the building - all dressed up and putting on airs. It was a spectacle he'd never seen up close before, or been a part of.

At the moment, he wasn't sure if he felt thankful to be a part of it or more intimidated by the prospect of the unknown, but in any case, he was determined to enjoy it. Considering what else lied ahead in their journey, he wanted to appreciate every second of luxury and comfort that they were offered for what it was worth. If that meant he had to act a little more formal (or what have you), he was fine with that.

He followed silently behind the others as they got out before he moved beside Kacel'la. Beneath her calm facade, he could see the twinkle of excitement in her eyes.

"It is rather exciting, isn't it?" he asked.
L1d1ja L1d1ja

Again, her face flushed as Ashlar said she was a princess, her gaze casting downward as she tucked a strand of hair behind her hair,"Youre too much." she said quietly, meeting her gaze with his with a gentle exhale.

----
As the carriages stopped, exictment brewed in her chest and she peered out the window, a smile spreading across her face. She never saw a building this big and bright before and it made her even more giddy to go and start the festivity. Walking up to Ashlar, she quietly looped her arm around his and looked about, adjusting her weight onto her high heels.

Everyone looked so nice and happy in their fancy clothes. Smiling contently to herself she closed her eyes and inhaled slowly.

Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa @all

"Oh yes. Terribly exciting." Kacel'la clapped her hands together quietly as she beamed at Bo.
"Ever been to a gala before?" She asked, curious despite being rather sure of the answer she'd get.

soundofmind soundofmind

Kacel'la tapped her chin with a finger, deep in thought before she nodded.
"Once, though it wasn't quite a gala. Fey courts are strange. Didn't even get to dance, which was a let-down." She shrugged. "But I've also seen some from afar too, if I managed to pass a city when one took place."

soundofmind soundofmind

Bo looked down at her curiously. "Wait - no dancing? Isn't that kind of a big thing at balls and galas and whatever? I feel like that's part of what makes it what it is. What else do you do if that isn't a part of it? Talk? Eat?"

"Well, I kinda had no choice but to leave early since apparently that's only the polite thing to do once the host falls dead. Just congratulate the heir on their new position and leave. Though some people did point out that assassinating anyone before the dances begin is quite rude." Kacel'la explained, her tone surprisingly matter-of-fact. "But yeah, dancing and mingling are just about it, if I had to guess. I'm sure food here won't be enchanted or binding, so I guess you can eat too."

soundofmind soundofmind

Bo smiled, looking at her with laughter in his eyes at the unexpected explabation behind her story. “Well, it’s good to know the food should be safe here,” he commented. “Now I know for sure that I can gorge myself and be fine. Relatively.”

L1d1ja L1d1ja

Kacel'la chuckled at Bo's remark. "Just leave at least an apple behind. I have a prank to play."
The smirk that she suddenly wore seemed just a touch too mischievous, though it quickly vanished.
"Shall we head in or are we waiting for some announcement?" She asked after a moment.

soundofmind soundofmind

Bo shrugged. "I have no idea. But nothing's stopping us from going in." He looked up the steps, and gestured with his hand. "So let's go," he said with a smile.

L1d1ja L1d1ja

Last edited:
Kacel’la hummed thoughtfully. “You know what, you’re right. Let’s go!”
With that, without waiting for a response from Bo, Kacel’la linked her arm through him and dragged him off up the stairs and through the open doors, the motion strangely effortless despite her comparably small stature next to Bo.
Through the main arches was a hall, one decked out in finery and billowing curtains for the occasion, though Kacel’la didn’t spend much time there, instead heading straight for the main ballroom. Music drifted through the air along with the chatter or people already filling up the grandiose room, all of them in their finest.
“Do you dance?” Kacel’la asked Bo who she had yet to let go, her eyes already trained on the people spinning along to the music.

soundofmind soundofmind

"It's been a few decades," Bo laughed, shaking his head to himself. Memories of dancing in pubs and taverns from his earlier years returned to him, but they were very different times. "So I'm probably very rusty, but I think it'll come back to me if I start."

L1d1ja L1d1ja

"Let's go see if that's true. Maybe we'll even impress a couple of people." Kacel'la grinned. Most of the dances she had learned on her travels were either meant to be simple, wild things danced in rowdy taverns or village fairs, or they were complex, shifting choreographies meant to train the body or impress the crowds of a carnival. Whatever here passed for a dance would be easy by comparison, the elf thought as she watched the dancers for a moment, memorising the repetitive patterns of their movements before she turned to Bo. "Shall we?"
soundofmind soundofmind

"What a gentleman." Kacel'la grinned before taking Bo's hand. The song had just ended and the dancers were moving in or out of the dancefloor before the other dance began, so Kacy easily joined them, dragging Bo along with her.
"Let's see how well you dance." The elf said in a sweet tone that still somehow betrayed a challenge, her steps smoothly flowing with the tune as it rang out once more.

soundofmind soundofmind

Bo was hesitant, at first, but it didn’t take long for his muscle memory to kick in as he flowed with Kacel’la’s confident steps. That, and he happened to like the song they were playing, so that certainly helped.

L1d1ja L1d1ja

Oceana impatiently listened to the Jarl drone about the occasion they were attending. Through the window the full moon glowed like a molten gold. It sent a pang through her heart.
She jerked her eyes away, turning to look at Hjalmar.
“I would defend you, but I’m quite sure you earned the animosity you’re receiving here.” She said wryly, stepping forward towards the music.
Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa
Galiana hung back, looking around for Jaquilinne but the woman was no where to be found. She had disappeared somewhere, perhaps to check on the security of the gala. She fisted her hands in the fine material of her dress. The feeling of silk was so foreign to the squire. She stood there nervously, unsure of moving forward into a crowded room full of powerful and elite strangers. She closed her eyes, and willed her breathing to even out.
@ anyone

As Hjalmar trailed behind the others, only Dorian and Oceana beside him, he sighed a quick breath of relief. He chuckled at Oceana’s statement, “You’re not wrong.” To answer Dorian’s question he continued, “I may or may not have stolen some incredibly precious and sentimental family heirlooms from the Frank treasury. It was the one time I ever got caught in the act, and I doubt Jarl Frank has forgotten the face of the man who stole his late wife’s amulet...” He spoke with only a twinge of guilt in his voice, “Of course, I didn’t know at the time, not that it would have changed anything. A job is a job, and thief’s got to eat.”
OlKaJa77 OlKaJa77 L1d1ja L1d1ja
The group finally reached the top of the steps and Yaroslav was nearly ran over by Bo and the small elf who seemed to be dragging him around effortlessly. If not for the fact that he almost fell down that whole flight of stairs he so grievously climbed, he would be impressed. He merely growled at the pain of losing balance, but thankfully the guards had noticed and caught him. He mumbled something about not wanting to be at the gala, how it was stupid, before continuing on slowly.
Svetlana was invited to dance by the Jarl, one could sense that they had some interesting history. Ashlar followed his lead and extended a hand to Aggie, a broad smile on his face, “Shall we?”
Vys Vys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back