Do you guys get attached to your characters?

jiminie

heaven in hiding
I'm roleplaying with a character right now, and I love her to bits. I almost feel the emotions she feels when I'm writing. Gosh. I sound like a crazy person.

For clarification. I know she's just a character. ;-;

But seriously, does anyone else have an attachment to one (or more) of their characters? Do you get attached to everyone you make or is it just specific ones that seem to click with you?

Putting yourself in someone else's shoes-even a fictional someone else-has a great affect on how you perceive that person. It's not really a surprise that you find yourself so attached to her, especially if she has any qualities or traits that remind you of yourself ( :) ). I get that feeling with my character Xavier, as I feel he represents a more ideal version of my emotions(frustration in particular (> :P ).).

I tend to change my characters out with each new plot so I rarely form lasting connection with anyone. I do have a few favorites but that's more with the work I put into making them than anything intrinsic to the character themselves.

Yeah, and it sucks when they die. For some reason (on other sites, I barely started here) my characters always seem to die in the most horrid ways. Don't ask me how, but one of them even ended up being eaten by a boar. It was so sad...

I used to when I just started out. Now, I'm actually a huge sadist with mine. I poke out their eyes, give them diseases, kill the, and cut off their fingers all the time in RPs, not for sick fun, but because it's realistic and almost meaningful.

All the time people want to be the prettiest character in the RP so they can live vicariously through that person or other chars will be attracted to them, but that's not how it is ever, at any point in history. People respect your RPing a lot more if you can make your character take serious damage that affects them for life, like a missing leg or a disfigured face. Actually helped me out a bit in real life too. As funny and pathetic as this sounds, when I was in my first real fight when I was 16, I was like "this broken nose is nothing! My characters lose their balls!" and pushed through. Really no matter what you lose you can still make something out of it

I like to treat my characters as though they are real people, not just characters. It tends to make it easier to RP as them effectively. I'll get into their mindset while writing, and that often can get me emotional which really sucks sometimes but other times it helps a lot. But yes, I do get emotionally attached to my characters. Not all of them, not even a lot of them, but those that I do...yeah, it can get pretty rough.

Archie said:
Now, I'm actually a huge sadist with mine.
I can relate to this so much. Perhaps a little too much even xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Abso. Tutely. If I get the chance, when I really get close to a character, I sometimes have them killed, (dramatically as possible of course) and it forces me to stretch that character even further and pull something new from them.

Yes ._.

I can't kill them off... I just can't.

Yumoto said:
Yeah, and it sucks when they die. For some reason (on other sites, I barely started here) my characters always seem to die in the most horrid ways. Don't ask me how, but one of them even ended up being eaten by a boar. It was so sad...
wow... that's horrible.

if i can't get attached to a character, i don't write them. i can't expect anyone else to get attached to them if i don't get attached myself. my characters are like family to me, except better because family sucks sometimes. they're so important to me.

that doesn't mean i always treat them well though, heh. i love putting them through hell and back :-)

I totally get the feeling. I got a character right now I really enjoy, though to be honest I've invested in some wicked art for her. So there's monetary equities to her creation as well as the thought put in and lore and background research.

What would I do if she ends up dying one day. Damn. Probably feel a little depress then move on. But that's not a bad thing, because that character's worth the feelings.

I have a character that I've used since I was 13. It's super important for me to feel attached to a character so i can emulate them in writing accurately. It's probably why I don't do well with characters from shows /non oc characters in general.

Plus it's fun to get attached to a character and develop an elaborate intense story behind their existence! Especially if you like adding more plot to a rp.

Always, all the time. My characters are my little babies and I can talk about them as if they were real people. I can get emotional when I write stuff for them, and when a story is over, or an RP dies or ends... Well.. it feels weird because I retire the characters and I know I'll probably never use them again.

I think a lot of people get attached to their character. When you focus on writing about a single character, which one often does in a roleplay, it becomes very easy to empathize with them. The amount of effort that goes into creating them also contributes to that. I tend to value all of my characters very much, and it's very easy for me to empathize with them when I take the time to explore all aspects of their motivations and personality.

One character in particular I sympathize with a lot, though not so much because of what goes on in the rp. I've used her in 2 rps that both died and I feel badly that I never get to explore her personality. It's almost like she's a person who never gets any friends and never gets to have any fun xD I feel very bad for her, and I think that's because she seems like a person even though she's a fictional character that I created.

NotEpic said:
I totally get the feeling. I got a character right now I really enjoy, though to be honest I've invested in some wicked art for her. So there's monetary equities to her creation as well as the thought put in and lore and background research.
What would I do if she ends up dying one day. Damn. Probably feel a little depress then move on. But that's not a bad thing, because that character's worth the feelings.
Do you use her in multiple roleplays?

corsettdoll said:
I have a character that I've used since I was 13. It's super important for me to feel attached to a character so i can emulate them in writing accurately. It's probably why I don't do well with characters from shows /non oc characters in general.
Plus it's fun to get attached to a character and develop an elaborate intense story behind their existence! Especially if you like adding more plot to a rp.
That's awesome, I wish I had a character that lasted so long. My (old) friend had a character she created when she was about fourteen (not for roleplaying or anything, long story) and as far as I'm aware, five years later she still uses him. I've got a character now who I think will last a while.

I find it, not difficult but just weird I guess, to use the same character in multiple roleplays. Especially at the same time. Do any of you do this/have trouble with it? Maybe it's because the character sheets are so different to what my character is/needs - she might fit in every section except the part about them being unicorns in disguise. ._.

Koala said:
I'm roleplaying with a character right now, and I love her to bits. I almost feel the emotions she feels when I'm writing. Gosh. I sound like a crazy person.
For clarification. I know she's just a character. ;-;

But seriously, does anyone else have an attachment to one (or more) of their characters? Do you get attached to everyone you make or is it just specific ones that seem to click with you?
LOL occasionally. more like I like to torture characters but then I feel for them.

Koala said:
That's awesome, I wish I had a character that lasted so long. My (old) friend had a character she created when she was about fourteen (not for roleplaying

Demonhunter said:
LOL occasionally. more like I like to torture characters but then I feel for them.
Koala said:
That's awesome, I wish I had a character that lasted so long. My (old) friend had a character she created when she was about fourteen (not for roleplaying or anything, long story) and as far as I'm aware, five years later she still uses him. I've got a character now who I think will last a while.

I find it, not difficult but just weird I guess, to use the same character in multiple roleplays. Especially at the same time. Do any of you do this/have trouble with it? Maybe it's because the character sheets are so different to what my character is/needs - she might fit in every section except the part about them being unicorns in disguise. ._.
A lot of the time I just do one style of roleplay at a time. Like, i might do a Harry Potter based roleplay with the character that I created for that universe while I'm doing a vampire lore with another vastly different character on the side. I try to make them all different, to a degree, and typically when a specific character type is required I can formulate someone that I'm happy with.

It just depends. I get into extremely specific moods very frequently.

It's the art of writing. It's a sign of a true creative mind, I think. Every artist holds a significant bond to their work.

These fictional characters are created in our vision, so of course we're going to grow an emotional attachment in some way. There was a character I used to play, a very very long time ago. She had so much happen to her throughout my experience role playing her, that when she was finally killed off--I literally bawled. It was an amazing journey of three years, and I still feel a void from where she came from. Not every character hits me like that, though. There are just some characters that have been played so long, or are created from somewhere deep inside of us, that brings up emotions we just aren't expecting...

...and yeah, it can kinda suck. x[

Yes, I get very attached because I feel as if they are me, even if they're not. A part of me, I guess, yet not. I think of them as my imaginary friends sometimes, though they don't all get along with each other, which is just a headache to imagine because it's hard enough to argue two points of view in your own head while your own mind is just like, shut up, dudes

But I only kind of think of them when I'm bored or doing roleplays or need emotional support or something, lol xD

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm simultaneously sadistic towards my characters and ridiculously attached to some of them ;u; I'll put them through all kinds of torment (sometimes humorous, sometimes tragic) and have a blast with it but all throughout be adding little OOC "((My poor bby did nothing to deserve this))" comments...even if they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back