SweetNicole's Aegis Application

JustNicole

This is my application for joining AEGIS. I hope you enjoy it. If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks! 

How often do you visit RP Nation? When are you usually online, and for how long? This information will help the GMs whenever it's time to split the players up into groups, as we like to try and sort people by how often they post.

It generally varies based on the time of year. I have time to check RPNation every single day, and typically several times throughout the day as well. I typically have it open in a side tab while I am at my computer and tab over to check when I get new notification of some kind. I endeavor to get a reply into my few 1x1s every day I get a new post, and typically respond to group roleplays as soon as possible. I would put a specific number on how fast I respond to group roleplays, but I've found it varies depending on how fast other people are posting and such. I can do as frequently as once a day, sometimes it may take a few days, never more than three.

What sort of characters do you like to create and play? Having an idea of what you enjoy will help the GMs assist you in getting settled in Aegis.

In my experience for group roleplays I like to play characters are relatively sure-footed of themselves internally, focusing instead on external problems. The best way I can describe it a character that doesn't overanalyze the situation around them. They're not going to spend hours and hours agonizing over a decision made, they're going to take the information presented before that, screen it through their filter, and then move on. Rather than try and look for the second and third level, they're going to take things at face value, not having the luxury to do otherwise. I've tried to do complex internal characters before and my experience has been that it doesn't often work that well. 

In general, I find this quote to be the best to describe how I prefer to have my character's philosophy in a group roleplay:

The key premise in Existentialism is that there is a real world, a truth, however this reality does not have any inherent meaning.  Humans impose meanings on things and call it truth.  This is the “truth” that is being denied.  Since moral codes of action are derived from imposed meaning, then these codes are also false, therefore everything is permitted.  There are two more key Existential concepts at work here.  One is Existential Angst and the other is Existential Crisis.  

Existential Angst occurs when a person’s belief about the nature of reality is proven to be false or temporary.  You believe your partner loves you but then you get dumped.  You believe your job is secure but then you get fired.  You believe you have a car but then

it gets totalled in a sudden accident. You believe that God is guiding your life, but then realise that there is no God.  To understand that nothing is true is to recognise that life is change, nothing is permanent, and chances are that you are wrong in your beliefs, so don’t get too attached.  Buddhism reaches a similar conclusion.

Existential Crisis is traditionally described as being like standing on the edge of a cliff and at first fearing that you will fall, but then realizing that there is nothing to stop you from jumping.  It is the realisation that you can do whatever you want but fearing the consequences of those actions.  This is what is meant by everything is permitted.  Yes, there is the radical freedom to act, but this is not an exemption from consequence.  This places the weight of responsibility on the individual, and therefore creates the “crisis” as we are torn between freedom and consequence.

This, I find, leaves them with some wiggle room in that they can fit themselves into many organizations or situations without too much trouble. They may not consider themselves captured by conduct restrictions and regulations, but also understand that having the freedom to not be captured by them does not mean that they are free from the consequences of acting outside of them.

What are you hoping to get out of this roleplay? Obviously we're unable to meet everyone's expectations, but knowing what players are looking forward to the most helps us prioritize different aspects of the plot.

I am looking to take the challenge of introducing a new character into an already well-established universe and integrate them into it so you'd never be able to tell without looking which character was in the universe first. I would also like to work on my abilities in working collaboratively with other writers, not just a single writing partner. Beyond that, I'm hoping to keep honing my writing skills and abilities such as multiple character interactions and worldbuilding.

Include a sample of previous roleplay posts. Aegis is a detailed roleplay, and players here pride themselves on well-written posts, thoughtful character interactions, and enthusiastic worldbuilding. Incoming players are screened for their writing skills (mostly punctuation, spelling, and grammar).

The glass-stained doors opened to a white nondescript room, void of any furnishing save for the gray lab table in the center of the room and the bright lights overhead. A man entered as the doors closed behind, sported with a hoodie and sunglasses, rough knicked-up jeans and a slight swagger to his walk. Around his right shoulder he carried the body of a woman, eyes closed. With haphazardness, the man slung the girl off his shoulder, somewhat roughly plopping her down onto the gray table. Slowly, he moved over the to the nearby wall closet to the door, leaning his body up against it as he waited.

Seconds later the doors slid open again as an older man, marked with the wrinkles of age and bifocals, entered the room, his lab coat flapping behind him from the speed at which he was entering. He came to a complete stop after getting a few steps into the room, shaking his head as he looked at the scene before him. In a swift motion, he turned to face the other man, his face doing little to disguise his anger. "I thought I'd made it clear we have a no abduction policy," clenching his fist as he spoke. There was a cold bitterness to his voice, like the sound of a man who knows he wields the power of a wrathful god.

The man shrugged, waving off the elder's remarks like that of a buzzing bee. "She wasn't cooperating. What did you expect me to do?" He smirked a little, seemingly quite amused at the amount of fuse the other man was making of the situation.
"What did I expect you to -" the elder caught himself as the frustration rose up in him, shaking his head slightly as his second fist clenched. "I EXPECTED YOU TO DO YOUR FUCKING JOB!" He screamed at the other man, whose face, in turn, went pale, realizing he had screwed up in a big way. Without a second of hesitation, the elder pulled forth a pistol like a seasoned soldier, raised it at the other's head, and fired twice. The sound of metal ripping flesh and then colliding with metal was heard twice in succession as the bullets found their marks. Blood smeared the down the white wall as the man's body went limp and slid to the floor, blood pouring from the two holes in his head. 

Holstering his gun, the elder turned away from the murder, coming back and standing over the body of the unconscious girl. He leaned down towards the unconscious girl, stroking some of the hair on her face in a gentle manner. "Don't worry about him. We'll fix him right up. This time, I suspect he learned his lesson." He laughed softly to himself a bit at that.

Returning upright, he began to slowly walk the perimeter of the table the table, orrating as he did so. "I envy you, you know. To experience the journey you are about to undertake, the places you will see, the things you will do. To truly feel alive - if only for a short time.

"I wonder how you will fare, not having the same information going in as the others. Perhaps the naiveness and authenticity will be your key, the ingredient the others before you lacked, or perhaps he will see through you faster, and come up with yet another creative way to carve up your dead corpse like he has the others. I suspect the latter, sadly. 

"It's a pity you won't remember any of this at all. I always thought you might accomplish great things up there. Unfortunately, that brute you met earlier? His actions have forced my hand. I can't have people thinking we have some sort of no abduction return policy. Think of what it would do to my reputation. Sure, they'll huff, and they'll puff, and they'll threaten to blow my house down, but their master keeps those wolves on a short leash. Oh, do tell my son I said hello.  And remember, should you accomplish the impossible and succeed," the elder leaned down right next to her ear and whispered, "Satan always repays his debts."

The woman's dreams were troubled. There was a darkness, surrounding her on all sides. No matter which was she turned, there the darkness was. Yet, there was something in the darkness. It felt like dim candle lights from flames lit long ago. Some burned brighter than others. Getting close to one as it drifted along in the void, it was like looking through the lens of a past life, a life she had never known. She could feel the emotions that the person was experiencing at the time, but all the details were hazy, like monotone voices speaking gibberish against a blurry background.

After a time, the brightest of all appeared on the horizon, as large and as bright as the sun. There was a sudden fear in her heart, she had to get away from this one. She couldn't explain why she had such fear, but she had to escape. She had to outrun the sun. She tried to turn away, but it was like a black hole, pulling her in. There was no escaping it.

She was someplace outside, the sun beating down on her eyes, so bright is was blinding. A man, his voice rough and ragged, the words so close she could almost hear them if she was but to lean in a little closer. She tried to do exactly that, but she was couldn't move. Turning her head left and right, up and down, she could see the iron shackles pinning her upright against the wall. In frustration for a moment, she struggled to break free against the iron, and then the man took a step closer. 

His face was seemingly visible, yet obscured. She could feel some warmth from within towards this brutish, gruff man who towered over her. There was a fondness for this man. No, not just fondness. Something deeper than that. There was a care so strong, so prevalent that it need not be spoken. She loved this man. He reached down with his huge hand, softly parting the hair from her eyes. The simple touch of his hand seemed to melt her fears into the background. 

There were more incomprehensible words spoken with raw emotion to them, an intense sadness. She could feel droplets of water hitting her head from above. This sadness was beginning to flare up within her too. Water coalising at the edges of her eyes. The man reached down and lifted her chin with a gentle touch, lowering his face down to hers. The dam of sobbing broke free as the man planted a short kiss on her forehead. 

The man leaned in closer until his face was right beside her. She could feel their tears running together. His voice was barely a whisper, and yet the words were crystal clear. "You will give them hope, Odette." 

In the midst of the sadness and the pain, the darkness began to envelop the surroundings again, everything fading away into the void as the man stepped back and turned away from her into the void. It hurt so much, yet she would give anything she could to experience this moment for just a few seconds longer. She cried out in anguish, raging against the shackles which bound her as the darkness enveloped and devoured her.

The woman let out a sudden gasp as she awoke with a start, pushing herself onto her knees with her hands. She had yet to lift her head, but she could hear a few startled yelps of surprise at her sudden movement and a few steps backward even. She felt weak, hollow even. It was like all her energy had been sapped from her body. She tried to rise to her feet, failing to do so, stumbling forward. As she fell back to the ground, her hand was caught by another hand. 

In that moment of contact, something extraordinary happened. It seemed to last perhaps a lifetime for the two involved. The events were not observable with human eyes, but could only be felt by two in contact. It was something akin to a spark, a sudden connection between kindling and flame that starts a fire. That hollowness inside her was suddenly filled. It was if something had just come in to fill the gap. She was seeing, feeling, sensing, smelling, tasting, hearing through him, and he was doing the same through her. It was as if in that small window the two of them were not two separate entities, but a combined one. In that less than a nano-second of a time, the senses from the other faded as rapidly as they appeared, but the lingering traces still remained, like music to be played again if only the right strings were plucked. 

The moment had passed. Time seemed to resume its present course again. While the hollowness was gone, her energy felt depleted, now even more so. She attempted to look up at the person who caught her hand, but her head had not even the stamina for that. Trying to speak, but failing, she thought to him a single thought. ~Please, help me.~ With that, she could feel the void enveloping her again as unconsciousness took her.

The fire flickered, crackling as it slowly consumed the fuel it needed to survive. Odette stared aimlessly at it, the only distraction in the endless void that encompassed her. She had no recollection how she had arrived here or how long she had been staring into the fire. In this place, which Odette knew must be some representation of her dreams, physical realities like time and temperature seemed to hold no power.

From the edge of the void strolled a man at a leisurely pace towards the campfire, coming from an angle that was directly in front of Odette. When he reached the edge of the campfire, he paused, waiting it seemed on a gesture from Odette before approaching fully. With a silent nod, Odette gestured for the man to sit as he pleased, while she took the opportunity for her gaze to linger upon him.

The man's head hair had vanished, old age washing it down the stream much like his once youthful beauty. Wrinkled and scared, the man's face was covered with the paint from some exotic berries, creating red lines that went horizontally underneath his eyes, and a red circle with a red horizontal line connected at the top in the center of his forehead. Around his neck was a necklace of bones, the various feet of rabbits and other small animals while around his shoulders and back sat the pelt of a what must have been a giant wolf. Though he wore no shirt, the man's muscle around his stomach as visible as he sat, the result of a lifetime of hard work. His furred skirt was held aloft by the ragged bagged belt around his waist, pockets filled with various baubles and trinkets. The man rested his staff, nothing more than a sturdy branch of oak, on the ground as he sat down across from Odette in a cross-legged fashion.

Somehow, though she knew not were from, Odette realized that she recognized this strange man. Silence held between them for a time as Odette eyed the man across from her with mixed expressions. 

It was the man who broke the silence, his voice cutting the air like a warm summer breeze. "Speak obsizavner,  lest I die of old age while you contemplate how to ask that which troubles you."

"You are Tachitcol, the shaman, slayer of Fenrir, creator of the Way of Wielding, once councilor of man and then his betrayer," Odette said with a small amount of vile towards the end as the man nodded in affirmation of her statement. "But how is this possible? You have been dead for -" she began to ramble.

Tachitcol lifted his palm upright in the air towards her in a fluid motion, cutting her off. "In time all questions will be answered..." So distracted was Odette that she failed to notice as his other hand reached around his staff as it lay to his side, tightly gripping it. "...when you are ready. Now, awake!" At the same time as the last word, he moved his body so rapidly with such vigor that it caught Odette completely by surprise. In a straight arc his staff hand with staff in tow swung at Odettte. The last thing she sensed was the blow from the staff as it slammed into the side of her head.

Odette's eyes opened. Slowly, she sat up in the bed, hearing the movements of people around her rustling in response to her awakening. Her immediate thoughts were still preoccupied by her dream. Gingerly, she took her hand and felt her face, still half expecting to find some mark from the hit.  "Tachitcol..." she whispered audibly to herself.

Shaking her head and blinking twice like some sort of ritual to cleanse her mind for other thoughts, Odette turned her attention to her present situation. Her gaze cast in an arc, lingering over every detail over the room. Oddly, the most important detail to that stuck out to her was the craftsmanship of the room. The dark oak wood looked well-sanded, maintained and treating, something that she somehow knew was a rarity in the world. To have such treatment spoke to the wealth or importance of the building and its occupants. Even some of the most expensive inns were not afforded the pleasure of such wood. Other than that, the people in her immediate vicinity seemed normal, save for perhaps the spawn of Fenrir. Those of Fernir's blood were highly sought after animals, rarer and harder to find with each passing year. She wasn't sure if she had ever seen on the in flesh before, but this one was certainly one majestic creature.

Her gaze reached the face of the person right next to her, a boy about her age. Her brow furrowed for a moment. There was something she was forgetting, something to do with him. Looking down, she noticed that the boy was holding her arm. Feeling slightly uncomfortable, and perhaps a bit violated, she forcefully pulled her arm back towards her, her other hand running it over almost a precaution to make sure he hadn't done anything. 

Tentatively, she spoke, trying to put on her best passive voice. "I'm sorry, but where I am? Who are all of you?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @SweetNicole! Sorry for the delay in responding, I was out of town. Your player app is good to go, so welcome aboard to Aegis. Go ahead and introduce yourself in the OOC thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back