• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Surfs Up!

elytra

a beetle may or may not be inferior to a man
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Tua Iona had been raised on superstition, myths, and legends since he was a child.

He personally didn't believe any of it at his current age, but when he was younger, he used to hang off of every word. His mother used to tell him that she had been given a closed lei as a welcoming gift when she was pregnant with Tua and his twin, Malani, and then when they were born he had had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck. She claimed the lei had been bad luck, and if it had been made open rather than closed, there would've been fewer complications. He later found out that it was very common for babies to have umbilical cords wrapped around their necks, and that it wasn't as dangerous as it sounded. That was around the time he had started to have his suspicions about all the stories he'd been told, but it didn't change the fact he had a passion for continuing to spread them around to younger people in his town.

His personal favorite to talk about was the Mo'o, water spirits that supposedly could shape-shift into the form of a woman and one of a lizard-like creature. They lived in salt water and fresh water, and if you were to eat fish from the area they lived, they would taste bitter. Between that and there being foam on the water, that was how one could tell if a Mo'o was in the area. They could also grow huge, apparently, and that was a trait that the kids liked to hang onto. There were a couple myths and legends surrounding them, as well as people claiming to have seen them in specific area, but like many other things, Tua didn't believe it. He simply liked them because they were connected to the water, something that he had always loved.

It wasn't all surprising he'd gotten into surfing, but that was frankly a topic for a different time.

Of course, any talk of Mo'o, or any other sort of Hawaiian story, ceased when his mother decided they were packing up and leaving to move to some more northern setting. Apparently, they didn't have the money to live where they were any more, and a change of scenery would do them good anyway. Or, that was what she claimed; Tua was fairly sure that was just said to try and make him and Malani feel better. Not that it mattered, because before he knew it, they had moved and he was stuck working at a diner with barely any time to himself. In fact, he hadn't been able to go surfing since they arrived, and only got the chance when Malani had kicked him out of the diner and taken his shift.

All of this together- his interest in surfing, the move, the stories of the Mo'o, and Malani taking his shift -had eventually led to the situation he was currently in, the situation being that he had fallen off his surf board and his tether had somehow gotten unattached, leaving him stranded in the water. While he had a good record when it came to holding his breath, swimming up through a wave was a task, especially when he was pretty sure he was hallucinating. After all, that was the only thing that could explain what he'd seen before he'd fallen: a person with a fish tail. He knew that that would be called a mermaid around this area, but he'd had a brief moment of shock where he wondered if maybe the things he'd been told were, in fact, true.

Of course, that moment of shock had sent him into the water, where he was struggling to get back up to the surface. He was too far out to be noticed, yet close enough that he held some sort of hope for the situation. He tried to swim upward, with little luck. If this was how he died, he was going to haunt his sister, that he was sure of. Not that it was her fault, but it was her insistence that had sent him out there in the first place.

Dylan had been out in the ocean for a while, he had been out for the longest time, trying to get as much swim time in as he could before it got to cold for his liking, he could last out at sea for a while, but once it got to cold he was out, either sty in the sea all winter or not at all, and he chose not at all because he had a human life to deal with. Dylan was not expecting this to happen today though, he knew that surfing was a thing during the warmer and colder autumn month but this was a surprise, he was swimming in a wave to get to shore faster, he glanced up and saw a dude, fuck, that was blown, next thing Dylan knew the guy fucking fell in and was not dealing well with the wave at all, the waves may not be tropical storm waves but they pack a punch.

So this is why Dylan is swimming after the dumb ass who fell in and getting him to the surface before onto dry land. He ended up going out for the surfboard as well since losing it would be a pain in the ass, or more Dylan could imagine as in school he had been told it was from some friends. Dylan pulled himself onto the red sad next to the guy, Asking if he was alright or not. "Hey!, Hey dude!, can you hear me!?," he really did not want to do CPR, BUT, he did know how, and also the fact he could legit suck all the water out of the males lungs if he wanted, no joke.

Tua was a decent surfer, and a better surfer. If he was to be asked, later, what had happened, he would blame it on the shock, and it wouldn't be a lie. He was sure that, if he hadn't seen whatever that guy was, he'd be perfectly fine. Unfortunately, he hadn't been expecting such an encounter when he went out, and it was a bit rattling for him. If continued to be pestered, he might get defensive, and claim that anyone would be that surprised, and he just happened to be out in the ocean at the time.

Of course, that was all speculative, and was about a situation that hadn't happened yet, if it would happen at all. Currently, he was coughing up water onto the sand and barely registering that someone was talking to him. His lungs hurt, which he could attribute to the salt water he was sure, and he felt sore. He had a feeling he wasn't going to be moving much if he didn't have to for the next few days. It wasn't until his brain fuzzily thought that it was odd he was now on sand when he had been underwater that he whipped around, noticing that the person who had dragged him ashore had, in fact, been the cause of his clumsy action in the first place.

Tua jolted back, away from him, pushing himself off the sand so he was standing. Of course he would be the one to be in a situation like this. Really, it wasn't as if anyone else could have bad luck, for once. He took a moment and a breath, assessing the situation and eyeing the....thing carefully as he did. It didn't take him long to decide he wasn't interested in whatever the hell was going on, though.

"No. No." He said, shaking his head a bit "No, we're not doing this right now." He waved a hand in the direction of his current companion, as if that summed up what he meant "Or ever. Not interested, we're not doing this. Thanks for the whole, like, not drowning thing, that's cool 'n all, but........no." He repeated himself, processing everything. This was going to stress him the hell out, and he just wanted to grab his board and go. It was better to forget it happened than try and figure out how to deal with it.

Dylan watched at the guy had a hard time breathing, he was about to go in for some CPR but the other scrambled to get up"Whoa! easy!, you just got out of being tossed around in the shit storm of a wave." he pointed to the sea, he shifted around so he was sitting up on his general butt area, or if he had legs, he was reaching over for the surf board on his other side but was now a bit offended when the other was all like nah. "Look, you legit can't tell anyone, if you do I die." he commented on, not like poof more like everyone will be out to hunt mermaids."

He finished reaching over to the side and held the surfboard up"look, just take your stupid surfboard and keep this shit tighter on your ankle, the waves here are a shit storm on a bad day, don't even think about a good day." he started to wave the surfboard at the other, getting a bit impatient for him to take it"Take the dumb thing before I shove it up your ASS!, I don't have all day" He winced when he yelled, forgetting his own sound sensitivity, he made a funky face before shaking his head, similar to how you get water out of your ears, speaking of which, his where pointed, would be described 'elf' or 'pixie' like.

Tua yanked the board to himself, scowling. Okay, not only did he encounter a Mo'o- mermaid, merman, siren, whatever -it, or he, was currently acting like a jerk. He wasn't sure if the term 'jerk' usually could be applied to sea spirits, which he had slowly come to accept as the case for this person, but it was pretty fitting for the words being tossed his way at the moment. He ran one hand through his dark brown curls, now sopping wet, and rolled his eyes a bit. This was fine. This was just his life now. He supposed he'd just have to deal with it and have a crisis later.

"First of all," He started, dusting off his board as he spoke and looking pointedly anywhere else but the person he was speaking to, "Usually, people who save other people are a little nicer. I'll fuck off at my own pace, okay? Give a man 5 seconds to adjust to not being dead and, you know, adjust his world view. Second of all, I know safety, I've been doing this years. 'Scuse me for getting startled. Third of all....." He trailed off, finally glancing over and studying the other with a frown "....I wasn't planning to tell anyone, because I'm not crazy. Okay? Okay. We're good now. Peace."

He held a peace sign up for a brief moment, before turning and beginning to retreat further into the beach. Maybe he could pass this off, to himself, as a weird dream and be done with it. He had already promised himself never, never to speak about this, to anyone. His sister would make fun of him, his mother would believe him, and anyone else would call him insane. He wasn't sure which of those was the worst, and he didn't intend to find out.

Dylan stuck his tongue out and made the ' bbpppzts' sound or whatever it is when you stick it out at someone. He sat there with his arms crossed, listening to the other, lifting his eyebrow, as this went on he stared to dry off, meaning he was turning back to his human form. He had no clothes on because wearing shorts into the water as a mermaid SUCKS. one side, choose that and that is where your tail goes. Not to much fun honestly. He called out to the other when he was a little ways off "If you keep surfing you are gonna see me dumb ass!" he waited and sat there, looking at the ocean.

He stood up and dashed to where he stared his clothes, he was doing a stark naked run, grabbing his stuff in the small little cove and coming out. this was after the other left and he was done getting all dry, he needed to pick up his siblings from school and since tonight was a night they all had off it would be Dylans' treat to take them out to a dinner.

//*evil uwu-ing*//

Of course, Tua didn't listen. He was ready to just forget it happened, and pretend that guy didn't exist. He planned to go surfing, at a later date, but he was sure that when he did he wouldn't see any Mo'o, because he was determined to go back to believing they weren't real. He was often told he was extremely stubborn, so he didn't think it was a problem. Before long, he was back in the diner, seeking out his sister, still soaking wet.

Most people could tell they were twins. They were often told that, if Malani cut her hair and wore a binder, they could switch places and no one would be the wiser. That said, due to their different hobbies, they were a bit different in terms of muscle mass. While Tua surfed, making his legs his pride and joy whenever they had 'gun show checks'- a competition they had gotten into when they were younger to see who was stronger -Malani lifted weights and loved wrestling, so she often won when they had any sort of game involving arm strength. That, as well as her long hair and cheerful demeanor, set her apart from her brother and let people know they were two different people, even though there were often some that thought being twins meant you needed to have the same exact brain.

They were very different. The physical resemblance was just uncanny.

Of course, when he had come in, sopping wet, she had teased him mercilessly and sent him off to get changed into his uniform so they could both work the floor for dinner. He hadn't been planning to tell her exactly what happened anyway, but the mockery had basically ensured that he never would. While he went off to get changed, Malani took her pad and went out into the seating area to take orders.

She wore her uniform, and her dark brown curls were pulled back into a loose, high pony tail. A flower was tucked behind her right ear, and she had on a friendly smile that showed her dimples. Her name tag had her name, as well as doodles around it of stars and a rocket ship, which she claimed gave it some personality. She made her way over to a table that had just been seated for dinner.

"Hi everyone! Are you guys ready to order, or do you need a few minutes?"

Dylan walked in with three about maybe 10-13 year olds, all of them did not look like the other when it came to hair and eyes, but their face shape was un mistakable the fact one was a boy and the other two where girls did not change that if you hid their eyes and hair you would think they are the same person. Dylan sat last down, on the edge, it just made him feel less like he was going to loose the trouble making three. Dylan chatted with the three, asking them what they wanted and also turning to look behind him as someone started asking him about if tourist season had started for the resort. He replied no and shrugged, going back to sitting correctly. Dylan's face looked the same as it had been in the water, only change was his ears were less 'pixie' like and rounded again.

His attention was brought up to the girl, before he could say anything, Coral and Marina, the two girls both said "You look very pretty!" The two loved to complement people no matter what, strange for 13 year olds but whatever, they where strange kids. Douglas remained quiet by the window, not rude, more like he was just nervous. Dylan rolled his eyes and said with a raise of his hand "I'll have a large plate of deep fried clams, large fries and a large cola." he turned to his siblings and waited for them to order.
Coral came in and said "I'll have a fried chicken burger with tomato, onion, mayo, lettuce, and cheese please! OH, and a coke too!" Coral was a 'perfect' baby, she had bright blue eyes and blonde haired, she was bright and very cute looking. Next was her sister Marina"I'll have the Bacon cheese deluxe with a side of fries and a glass of sprite." she was much more relaxed in personality, having a more monotone voice as she spoke, Marina had red fiery hair and sea green eyes with a cascade of freckles all over her face. Last was Douglas, he was quiet but said "May I please have a cheese burger with a ceases salad side and a glass of chocolate milk?"Douglass seemed to be a mix of his two siblings, strawberry blonde hair with blue green eyes and a light dusting of freckles on his face, it was clear Dylan did not look anything like his siblings, and there was a fairly big gap in the ages.

"Aw, thanks! You're both very pretty as well." Malani said, winking at the two with a grin, before flipping open her pad and clicking her pen a few times for good measure. She scribbled down the orders, one by one, before tucking the pad away into her apron as to not lose it. "Okay, perfect! It'll be out in a bit. If you need anything, just give me a shout!" She tapped her name tag to draw attention to it, before gesturing behind her with her thumb "And if I'm not around, my brother Tua is working the floor tonight as well and can get you whatever you need. I'll be right back with your drinks."

She turned, walking into the back, and giving the order over. As she walked by her brother, who was fumbling with her apron, she bumped her hip against his playfully, and messed up his hair with her free hand. "You're helping me handle the table I'm working right now. They'll call you if they need anything and I'm not there. Yea?"

"Yea, yea, yea, I'll be out in a second." Tua grumbled, finally tying the back of his apron after many failed attempts "Just don't drop one of your tables on me completely, I have other stuff I'm doing, okay? I don't have time to deal with weird customers that you decided you didn't like enough to keep serving"

"We'll see what happens." She replied, walking by him with the drinks "Don't take too long!" Then, she was back out in the dining area, not waiting for anything else to be said. She set down the drinks on the table when she reach it, careful to not hit anyone or get in the way.

"There you go! And your food will be out in a bit."

Dylan nodded and gave a thumbs up to her when she said about being right back with the drinks. "Don't rush, we can wait." they where patience, this was one of the more busy places due to it having fresh (or as fresh) as it could get food, any seafood or other ingredients it could get from the local area it did. Dylan chatted with his siblings for a few minutes, Dylan thanked Malani when the drinks came, each sibling took a sip of their drinks at the same time. Dylan looked up and around, he had his hair pulled back in a tight bun so you could not really see if his hair was wet or not, most people knew he swam, but mermaid? FUCK THAT NOISE. He liked to mess with fisherman sure but that?, no way in hell. This is when Dylan noticed Tua, it was the FUCKING dude from the beach, how the hell could fate be so cruel to him? Dylan turned his head down and sighed, that was some major stress on his dumb self.

//sorry the reply is so short- hng

Tua, of course, noticed. How could he not? He'd been stressed about the encounter since it happened. That didn't mean he was about to acknowledge it, however, and he pointedly looked anywhere but the table where the merman was seated. He knew that table was the one Malani had been referring to, but he figured that it was unlikely he'd be called over. He was counting on it, because acting like he didn't know the guy would be difficult face to face. He could probably do it, but he didn't want to test it.

Instead, he took up leading people to tables. There was enough of a crowd that working the 'front desk' was a job in itself, so he could avoid running orders back and forth between tables until his sister decided she wanted to switch with him, which would probably be after the last of her current tables left for the night.

Malani, meanwhile, brought out the food for the table, setting it down for them with a smile. "Here we go! Enjoy. I'll be around if you need anything." Then, she walked off to another table, trying to get as many orders done as possible, as fast as possible, in order to accommodate the number of people coming in.

Dylan was hoping to god, or whatever, that he would not have to deal with that dude. He was on the beach and now here, fantastic eh?, well Dylan was not having any of it. Dylan was working through his food easily, though his siblings, being hungry gremlin teens like him, had a hard time, like always and needed take away boxes. Dylan sighed and called to Tua over, seeing that Malani was busy with other people. "We need 3 take out boxes, if you don't mind." He looked up at the other "oh, also we are ready for the check." he was a lot more polite than before, or it could have been he was in a public setting, that and younger siblings it seemed to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back