Sunshine Constable

Epiphany

Proverbs 17:9

Sunshine Constable

Normal Appearance

c27bdabaffd1f538dbfcd5212677f0c75fe8c89b_zps296ade00.jpg

Identifying features: Freckles!  Red hair.  A sparkling smile.  

Home life:

Sunshine's home life is crowded and complicated.  She was born and raised by a pair of married police officers.  Both dedicated to their work, they both were deeply dedicated to their family, evidenced by the fact that Sunshine has ten younger siblings, the youngest being only three years old.  With so many brothers and sisters, Sunshine was roped into childcare at an early age.  She managed to escape when she was eighteen, apprenticing herself to a nursing program.  Barely graduated, Sunshine was unprepared for a visit from a white bird months ago and she ended up moving back in with her family, once again helping out with the housework and babysitting while she figures out if she can juggle a work life and a Midheaven life.  Without a job at the moment, she has no means of affording her own place, contributing to her entrapment.  

Personality:

Well named, Sunshine is radiant and joyful.  She loves people, finds comfort in their presence, and is a natural caregiver.  Always sensitive to moods, unspoken feelings and body language, Sunshine's a natural peace maker.  She's also surprisingly outspoken, with a clear firm voice that speaks fiercely of her convictions.  

A lifetime raising her younger siblings and then four years of medical training have made her powerfully resistant to the usual drama.  Outwardly, she projects unfailing confidence, competence and professionalism.  Inwardly, she despairs at ever finding her own feet, finding her own life, finding someone to share that life with.  

Religious views:

Sunshine comes from a family of Helia worshippers, with both of her parents venerating the sun whose lifegiving light not only warms and comforts but reveals lies and deception and protects the vigilant from ambush.  Like the rest of her family, Sunshine pauses for a minute of ritual prayer and mindfulness precisely at noon every day no matter where she is.  She also makes a point of greeting the Sun and bidding it goodbye every dawn and dusk.  In truth, the revelation brought by the white bird, the existence of the Nadir and her own uncanny powers have paradoxically made her skeptical of what she used to believe in so firmly.  Now that she knows supernatural power exists, she can't help but wonder; where's Helia?  Why hasn't She exposed these monsters to the public already, revealed the truth of where they come from and how they might be destroyed?

Romantic orientation:

Despite having a few crushes on girlfriends during her schooling or nursing career, Sunshine's never had a real relationship.

What is your wish?

* Make her world safe again.                   

* Figure out how to do that and still have a job, a life, independence.

What is your fear?

* Never being able to escape her parents' home or establish her own independence, condemning her to an empty life without love.          

* Finding out that Helia isn't real, that the faith and devotion she'd embraced all her life was a lie and that everyone is all alone in the end.

* Squirrels.  Seriously, they look innocent but there's such a narrow step between their sheer animal cunning and the Nadir, right?            

What's most scarce in your life right now?

* A Life.                

* Love.    

* Room to breathe. 

* A sense of herself apart from her family.

Midheaven relations

@Bowa: River Smith-Shield: Best buddies!  Sunshine and River's families are both in the city guard and the two girls grew up knowing each other.  Both possessed of people-loving, fun-seeking, cheerful nature, the two enjoy each other's company greatly and have never (yet) quarreled despite the three year age gap between them.  River's father disapproved of the friendship early on, as he was Captain of the Guard and Sunshine's parents worked for him which could be misconstrued at work.  The girls' enduring friendship has survived familial disapproval, however, and they remain excellent friends even after Sunshine's nursing studies and River's apprenticeship.

@Devious Dilbert - Akoya Simmons: Great friends!  They initially met because their mothers were childhood friends.  Akoya and Sunshine ran in the same circles through high school and he's one of the few friends who survived the transition after graduation.  He's crashed on her couch dozens of times over the past few years and he's one of the few people she feels she can really talk to.

@Mollisol - Mantis Weaver: Best friend's, er, girlfriend?  Sunshine's best friend in high school was a girl named Honey Sharp.  Though they've drifted somewhat, they still see each other enough for Sunshine to know Mantis Weaver, Honey's on-and-off-again girlfriend.  

@Zalgo - Ash Cog: Brother's friend.  Sunshine's younger brother, Moonlight Constable, is good buddies with Ash.  As such, they've met dozens of times over the years including at least one notable family summer vacation that Ash came along for.

@Zaxs: Camellia Dianthus: Awkward Stranger!  Two years ago, Sunshine had a powerful crush on another girl in her nursing program.  Determined to ask the girl out with an epic proposal, she went into Camellia's fashion store to buy a dress and ended up breaking down into tears and anxiety over the stress of the situation.  The matter-of-fact store girl straightened her out, made Sunshine look at her priorities and nudged her into taking the plunge.  Sunshine bought the dress but in the end lacked the courage to ask the girl out.  Although Sunshine still occasionally shops in Camellia's store, the memory of that night and Sunshine's failure to rise makes it difficult for her to talk to Camellia.

Midheaven Appearance:

To Be Determined!  Once I find a great picture!

Constellation:

The Drum

Emotion:

Excitement

Weapon description:

A tremendous oversized hammer surely too heavy for a girl to lift.  Its solid steel composition appears impervious to any inconvenience, like brick, granite or armor.  The long haft seems to be made out of the same gleaming metal, save for a thin leather binding for grip.  

Magic:

A single blow of her hammer against the ground can knock monsters from their feet.  She can amplify any sound she makes, from the clap of her hands to the words from her mouth, creating deafening booms or amplifying a speech over a crowd.  Finally, the rhythmic tap of her foot or the careful cadence of a well crafted speech can whip up a crowd, inciting listeners to dance, to overcome fear, to put down their weapons or to show pity.  

Stars:

Hope: 0/3

Despair: 2/3

Hope Shift

A lucky break gets you closer to your goal.

You are able to heal someone else, removing all of their Despair points, healing a serious injury, or removing alterations by a Despair Shift or Great Despair.

You have a moment of sincere hope. Remove any Despair points you have.

Despair Shift

You have an outburst that alienates you from others.

You have an outburst that injures you or someone else.

You permanently acquire another fear or twisted wish. Write it on your CS.

Great Hope

You cause a small miracle to happen.

Undo any fears, twisted wishes, or alterations to your body caused by a Despair Shift or Great Despair.

Somehow, life in Astrophel gets a little happier and less panicked.

Great Despair

Your body permanently takes on an unnatural aspect related to your constellation, your associated emotion, or something that led up to your Great Despair.

Your magic goes out of control, destroying non-magical things in the immediate area.

A Nadir wrenches itself from your body, with characteristics and a human target based on what led up to your Great Despair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I accept her (the face claim for the Midheaven form isn't essential, and you can also use a written description if that helps, sorry if that wasn't clear before). The only issue is the emotional magic - the shifts need to be listed on the CS, and since she's started as a Midheaven, she needs to either have 2/3 Despair, or have one of the shifts struck out.

I've updated the Despair rating from 0 to 2.  

I am puzzled on the shifts, however.  Every character sheet has exactly the same shifts, which means sticking them in a central post (and they're already in the character sheet pinned at the top) is all the look up I'd need.  Are these shifts supposed to be customized for each of us?  Like, each character's chosen emotion means there are unique conditions that trigger a hope or despair shift?

I've updated the Despair rating from 0 to 2.  

I am puzzled on the shifts, however.  Every character sheet has exactly the same shifts, which means sticking them in a central post (and they're already in the character sheet pinned at the top) is all the look up I'd need.  Are these shifts supposed to be customized for each of us?  Like, each character's chosen emotion means there are unique conditions that trigger a hope or despair shift?

I can't see them at the top?

Basically, the reason the shifts are on the CS is so that both the player and the GM can keep track of which shifts/Great Hopes/Great Despairs are struck out and which are free. Come to think of it, it would have the same effect to just list what you've already gone through on the sheet instead of listing all of them (but I didn't initially think of that until now since the TRPG that the system is based off of didn't have that option, being pencil and paper and all  D:  ). So I suppose that'd be acceptable too.

There aren't unique triggers based on the chosen emotion; the emotion just serves the purpose of reinforcing that Midheavens' magic is connected to feelings, and being another thing that alienates them from non-Midheavens.

Does this help?

I can't see them at the top?

Basically, the reason the shifts are on the CS is so that both the player and the GM can keep track of which shifts/Great Hopes/Great Despairs are struck out and which are free. Come to think of it, it would have the same effect to just list what you've already gone through on the sheet instead of listing all of them (but I didn't initially think of that until now since the TRPG that the system is based off of didn't have that option, being pencil and paper and all  D:  ). So I suppose that'd be acceptable too.

There aren't unique triggers based on the chosen emotion; the emotion just serves the purpose of reinforcing that Midheavens' magic is connected to feelings, and being another thing that alienates them from non-Midheavens.

Does this help?

if i can interject

"Does this help?"

Only a bit.. :S

if i can interject

"Does this help?"

Only a bit.. :S

Sorry :c

I'm thinking seriously about taking the section out altogether, so I would talk OOC to players about when the (magical) events of Shifts/Great Hopes/Great Despairs would happen. (I trust the players to have their characters be unable to keep it together when shocking/upsetting things happen; it's just the magic parts, like the ones that relate to changing reality more than changing internal emotions, that I thought needed a system.)

I've updated my sheet to reflect the information you'd like tracked on it.  Let me know if you have any questions, anything you'd like to see done differently/better, etc. 

Thanks again for hosting this delightful game!

I've updated my sheet to reflect the information you'd like tracked on it.  Let me know if you have any questions, anything you'd like to see done differently/better, etc. 

Thanks again for hosting this delightful game!

Everything looks good! You're welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back